Violet Kalifa

Open Tried and True (Jan 3rd '18)

Melbourne ☆ Penrose Quidditch CoachKay
28 year old Halfblood Human ☆ her/she

There were broom shops in Melbourne true enough, but Violet had gotten her brooms from Zooms and she didn’t trust anyone else. Even when she was playing Pro she felt her loyalty to the shop was important to her. They had always taken care of her, even when she was a knobby kneed little kid with dreams. They didn’t turn her away when she asked a million questions about the new models and they often told her she did well in matches when her parents didn’t make it out see them. It was nice… the people changed over time but the shop’s philosophy had not. She smiled as she walked through the doors and was greeted.

Today she was looking for a few brooms for the girls at Penrose for the next season. It would be good to get some real speed on some of them. Or at least show them what they could do with a broom with speed. Vi always loved the way it felt to be going faster than fast in the air. The way the air would whip around you. There was nothing else like it. Nothing. She smiled at the thtougth as she looked over a model behind the counter. Looking up to see her picture there and the smile turned a touch sad. She missed playing. She missed the way you could feel the crowd in your chest.

That was something they needed to put into a potion. It was a powerful high. Vi could sometimes feel herself jonsing when she was coaching. It was not the same. People didn’t love you the same. However Vi had love for her team, for her girls. They were the next generation, right? Well that was her duty now. To coach them to be those players. She had pride in coaching them. Not to mention a school as polished as Penrose.

She was looking at the newer Cleansweeps and she tilted her head. ”What do you think?” She asked the bystander. She didn’t always make a habit of talking with strangers but she never really culd stop herself when it came to brooms, and quidditch and anything else that might cover flying.

(Violet)

Ministry Shio
28 year old Halfbreed Fairy ☆ She/Her

Rue hummed in response. As absorbed as she was in the broomstick in front of her, she didn’t hear Violet’s question for a few seconds. Then she turned her head and smiled distractedly.

‘They look wonderful, but I’m afraid I don’t know much about brooms.’ She ran a hand admiringly over the clean polished wood. 

‘In truth, I’m a first-time customer. I’m a little tired of using the telephone wires to travel around - not at all good for my health.’ She said this while looking like no one could possibly be healthier, with a healthy complexion despite her fair skin and a fair amount of strength in her diminutive frame. She turned to face Violet with a slight rustle of green skirts.

‘You would play Quidditch, I assume?’ 

Violet could still remember when she got her first broom. It was a magical thing the way she felt as she took it into her hand after saying up that first time.  The luxury she felt as she flew through the air, the way the wind felt as her hair was blown back.  It was absolute freedom in the air and she had always loved it.  She smiled at the woman beside her.  ”I do play, or I did play anyway.  I coach at Penrose now.”  She said proud of the fact.  She had gone to Tally but she was proud to coach the team at Penrose as well.  Violet wouldn’t have pictured herself in the halls of Penrose ever as a girl but now that sh was there, she didn’t want to be anywhere else.  She liked the idea of women in sports, kicking ass.  

”Well, I could always help you with picking one out?”  She offered.  Violet loved the way new brooms met their people.  It was not like a wand, but the bond was magical.  At least she had always thought so.  ”Are you a beginner?  Would you say?  I mean, what would you rate your skill level and we can go from there.  Since you are looking for something more for transportation these wouldn’t be the best these are made for the game…”  She looked around. 

”Follow me.”  She said as she moved towards the brooms better for travel. 

Ministry Shio
28 year old Halfbreed Fairy ☆ She/Her

Rue nodded, taking her hands away from the polished broom handles and followed Violet into another section of the shop. She cleared her throat.

‘In truth, this is my first time since graduating.’ She shrugged with an unsure little smile playing at her lips. ‘I was never the swiftest in flight, but I was stable and I’m reasonably confident I can stay aloft for a long time, provided I don’t try anything reckless.’

She had never owned her own broom, always relying on the school supply for the few times she needed one. Quidditch wasn’t an especial passion of hers, but she enjoyed watching the games even if she could barely follow the passage of the balls.

‘I’m a new teacher at Tallygarunga this year. I’ll need to learn all the rules of Quidditch over again if I want to support my students!’

Hopefully none of them ever asked her to practice with them. Rue could just picture herself toppling over headfirst into the oval grass if she tried to so much as swing a bat.

Violet listened to the woman as she looked over the various brooms meant more for travel than for fancy dives and snitch chasing.  She had always loved picking out a new broom… she wanted a good one for herself and she wanted to get a few for the girls as well.  But, it was always a noble distraction to help someone pick out a broom.  ”Well, I wont get you something meant for the fancy aerials.”  She herself loved the Aerials she could spend all day in the sky going from here to there on the broom.  It made her feel alive.  ”But they will still give you the addictive feeling of wind in your hair.”  Something Violet had always loved. 

”Oh how exciting what will you be teaching?”  Violet herself had never been sure what she was going to do in life if she didn’t play quidditch.  However there was something amazing about empowering the girls to play quidditch.  The Harpies had a good thing going… maybe Violet would start her own team of all women.  She would have to toy with that idea for a little longer.  She grabbed one, it had a lovely cherry polish and she handed it to her.  ”This one… I think it would be perfect for you.”