Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring
Sign in to follow this  

Complete Getting Better (Dec. 25th '17)

Repository ☆ Head of Creatures and Unfortunate IncidentsKay
Muggleborn Human ☆ he/him

It had been a longer day than Ikedi had expected. There had been a snafu with one of the incidents and that had lured him from his office and out into the field. Ikedi actually preferred to be in the field, he only then struggled with catching up on the paperwork- he needed to hire a new assistant. Marjorie had left when she had her third child and honestly she had wanted to stay but he understood the woman needed to devote more time to his family. He would have done the same had he been in her position. Or maybe his hypothetical wife would. Or maybe they would hire a nanny… It was truly hard to speculate such things. That and Ikedi was not sure he would want three more after raising his siblings.

Letting out a long sigh he wiped his hand over his face, the report would need to be on his desk as soon as he got in the office. He had tried to make sense of it in the field but he was really mostly doing damage control when he arrived. After giving instructions he made sure that they were understood and he left. It was later than he liked to head home. Not to mention he had not really had time to stop and think, let alone eat or anything else. The Roo offered an interesting option for the evening and figured he may as well stop and get a drink, he would order food on the way home and pick it up. Chinese sounded good. So did everything else but Chinese seemed to offer him the most options. He smiled at the thought. Food always seemed to make him happy… he was not sure if that was good or bad.

It was not often that Ikedi was able to stop in Narrie. He liked the town, when he first went to Tally he thought he would be able to settle there but life had other plans. The last time he was there he had been to speak at the school about what it was the department did. He had not been the head of the department then and that felt like ages ago. It also felt like yesterday. He walked into the Roo and smiled as he found a seat at the bar. He ordered a whiskey. And settled in, content to people watch. At least for a little while.

(Ikedi)

Melbourne ☆ Investigative Journalist✩ Kaitore
27 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ HE/HIM

Contacts. . . Why did they enjoy meeting in bars so much? It was like the central point of inebriation was there to assist in them quelling their guilt. Marcus, however, didn't particularly care to warn them about such a thought or action as it benefited him and his 'crusade' in the long run. As he sat at bar with what seemed to be, a very vocal man. Arms wavering about while Marcus just nodded and kept his eyes pinned towards the notebook that had a pen dancing across the pages. "Thanks, Pete. Don't worry, don't worry I know to keep discreet." Marcus jousts his head lightly almost as if to shoo the man away as the one known as 'Pete' stood up and started to stumble out of the Tavern.

A sigh exhausted from the raven-haired man as his thumb slid across the top of the pen to rescind the point. Then gently placed it down against the coiled notebook which a raised hand followed to flag down the barkeep. "Hit me with a Black Russian, it's going to be a looooong night." His head shook in unenthused anticipation about having to write an article while also fact checking everything that had been spoken to him from one of his many informants.

Only a few seconds to a minute had based before the drink he had ordered had been handcrafted and slid in front of him for the fingers to dance along the glass. The cool presence that pulsated outwards was relaxing against his skin, much more than the sun could have offer up to him. "Ah. . . Been a rough day with some good upsides, surprising, but good."" His hand grasped the glass firmly and lifted it up to press the rim of it against his lips and tipped only a bit of the liquid into his mouth. Instantly, it was a hit of a burn enough to clear even his nostrils as he took a firm whiff. "That always hits the spot."

Stark Raving mad was not a phrase that Ikedi had ever needed to use in his day to day activity, sometimes when he recounted a story to one of his siblings, he would use it. It only seemed to make his siblings laugh. That was one of the many things Ikedi liked to do when he had a chance, make them laugh. The term seemed to apply to someone who was talking with someone about something and he shook his head smiling at the massive movements they had been making. Ikedi had not had a reason o get drunk recently and he didn’t really look for one- he didn’t like to lose control and he found he had more fun sober as it was. Though today, it had been the sort of day that a drink was beneficial. The man seemed to be less interested in the story he had been telling his mate and was focused on the drink. The mate was laughing and Ikedi smiled reflexively at the emotions.

For a man who prided himself on being observant, he had not been paying attention to the man who had been seated near him on the stool and until the man spoke he had no cause to. He was a little taken back by the somewhat spontaneous utterance the man had made. It would not have been the first time that he had come across a nutter in a bar… and honestly who hadn’t? Ikedi was sure around the time he had realized he was an orphan, he had been the nutter in the bar. He looked around and attempted to locate who he was talking to. Finding no one he shrugged. Well everyone deserved to talk to themselves. Ikedi was prone to mumbling under his breath at himself.

That and it was entirely possible that he was talking to the bartender. However the bartender was too far away for that to be the case the second time the man spoke. ”Oye.” He said looking at him. ”Are you talking to me mate? It’s a little hard to tell. Given there had not be the usual niceties that came in the understood rules of conversation. ”Or Maybe I am intruding..” He lieklyw as Ikedi had found that he was usually intruding on things these days.

(Ikedi)

Introspection is an important process, at least when shifting through ones mind to make sure that every fact and 'known' bits correlated. Sometimes, aimless vocalized speaking was equally necessary, at least for Marcus it seemed to be the case. So much ran through him and spitting out the occasional oddly timed phrase was how he trudged his way through the muck of memories.

Most cases people tended to ignore him so it took him quite a bit to realize someone had taken notice of his 'madman' speech, as it could be classified. The right hand's index finger pressed against the edge of his glass as it gently traced about the circular form. Brown spheres turned from where they had been looking to then focus on the older man who had addressed him. Darker skin and what seemed like a presence of authority surrounded him, at least on first glance. Not just any person would respond to a man in a bar chatting it up to the air, after all.

"Huh? Oh, nah." Casual tone stitched through his voice as he answered. His hand droops to curl fingers around his glass and presses it to his lips for a slight sip before it was let down and placed on the dark wooden surface. "I usually just chat it up after meeting someone. Sometimes, folks just make you wonder and you have to talk to yourself to really see if it was true or not." Maybe it was just him? Maybe he was too weird? More likely it was just the fact he constantly had to meet different people that caused his mind to second guess about life itself.

Marcus shook his head afterwards. "No intrusion, I mean, it's a public place. If I'm saying it knowing it then I can't really get offended if someone steps in, right? Hehe, I didn't pop out in some back alley or in my office." He shrugged nonchalantly, it seemed like a reasonable thought in his mind.

So it seemed the man had not been talking to him but whoever might be eavesdropping on his conversation. Ikedi was not an auror or a muggle officer but he had studied a lot of human behavior. It was hard not to when you focused on behavior of animals and what could go wrong. In his mind, nothing was ever too good about a man who talked to himself and held actual conversations. While he was not an expert, so far this man did not seem to be of any greater risk to his safety or the greater public safety. If he did Ikedi was not sure what he could do, dealing with an unruly dragon was very different than an unruly man.

”Was it?” Ikedi asked with interest. His body moving to facilitate the conversation better. ”True I mean? Did you find it was true?” Whatever it was he was questioning. He had not caught the rantings… but that didn’t mean they did not hold truth. Some of the most eccentric and volatile people had some well reasoned arguments. He had to admit when it came to some manifestos they were the well-reasoned arguments of truly interesting minds. They had to be at least sane in some respect, to write something logical. In his humble opinion anyway.

He paused and then added. ”I find talking to myself has often led to more confusion…” He said with a shrug. It was not always the worst thing to talk to oneself. Sometimes it offered clarity but usually it was just a signal he was getting tired or he had a hit a wall with an incident. That was never a good feeling. He reached a hand out.

”Ikedi” He introduced himself. It always felt strange to say his name to someone but he managed to do it. ”I suppose that is true…” he agreed as the man said that he was not in an alley. ”Is your office in a back alley?” He didn’t think they were but Ikedi felt as though he was being clever.

(Ikedi)

Considered that his random ramblings were about as accepted as a pimp on a popular teenager's face, that is to say, he probably came off crazier than he really was. Not entirely his intention but then again what is these days?

The question caught him off guard a bit and it was purely because he didn't expect someone to actually ask about the validation. "Bits and pieces, seems to corroborate everything though. A bit of activity against folks that aren't. . . Fully like them to say it in the nicest way possible." He smiled weakly though it was enough to bare slight fangs at the idea of some bigot pushing an elitist agenda about. His fingers danced along the glass and lifted it up to press against his lips once more to drink from it. "The movements are too constant and random, displaced kiddos from parents that roam the less traffic ran areas. Usual signs that I pick up when something like this ends up on my plate."

He chuckled as he nodded briefly. "Fair enough, most of the stuff I deal with kind of require me to be a bit unorthodox. I get more snips than actual pictures if that makes any sense. It's like that extra audio adds for my mind to catch something that my words may have slipped up and not noticed consciously." It was a bit. . . Odd to describe but that was the best way that he could play it out. His gaze shifted to watch the movement and then the extended hand, his own hand reached out to grip firmly but not too hard.

"Marcus, and no it isn't but it may as well be!" He could only snicker lightly as he shook his head. "I decided to work out of my home and have a small little sign that leads to my basement that I had to outfit a bit. So a nicer area out in Melbourne - I'm an Investigative Journalist, run my old bit and push out to the locals around me and those on my 'inner circle' of sorts." He smiled briefly, at least he felt he needed to add a bit of clarity to what kind of job he did that required such an odd thought process.

The man nodded at the idea some of it was validated. ”I imagine you have rather interesting lines of thought then.” He listened as he spoke, though he had to admit he was not really following what he was saying. He didn’t have all of the information and he was rather tired, he’s been up since 3 am and running on a few hours of sleep. It was how it went sometimes in his department. When it was bad, it was bad. He rarely had to go handle things, but when he did he lost sleep. The drink however was making up for it. ”I could see that.” He said. It made sense. A lot of it made sense- there had been a few things he had missed when he didn’t look at it.

”I dictate my notes to my assistant I find that to be rather clarifying…” he said agreeing with the idea of it. Confusing as it may be sometimes. ”Can I ask you what it is you are working on?” he found he was rather interested to hear what this man was doing. He looked around for a moment it was an interesting thing to see the people here, or any bar. Ikedi simply liked to people watch. They were interesting and he was able to see patterns of behavior that sometimes mimicked the behaviors of the creatures he loved so much.

He smiled. ”It must be nice to work from home. I wish I could get away with it but I still have my brother living with me and though we are adults he still finds a way to monopolize my time.” Ikedi however loved living with his brother. The kid meant the world to him and he was not about to kick him out. He was struggling to get himself back on the right track and Ikedi had only wanted the best for him. Raising his siblings had putt hem in a rather interesting dynamic.

”Where can I read your stuff?’ 

(Ikedi)

"Interesting and disturbing! Honestly, I'm surprised I have checked myself into a shrink yet." Marcus let out a low laughter. Though, it's expected that most would probably consider the same thought process in any form of job. Especially when it came to dealing with people of various personalities that are often coupled with explosively volatile emotions. Mostly for him, It was the stalkers or people who didn't enjoy the content of his story 'exposing certain truths' about them.

An assistant? This guy must be a big office power. The idea wasn't too bad something to consider for himself. "I could use a fearless assistant in the future. . . Sometimes there are stuff a single mind will never be able to piece together due to perspective. A second and third look offers up better chances of the puzzles clicking into place." Maybe that was the prime purpose of Assistants, not just to be coffee monkeys.

"Hm? Oh sure! Well, the fellow I had met in here is someone I am investigating. Business owner out on Oliphant Lane that is a bit crooked in his dealings if based on ones ancestry." Perhaps it was more the lack of an Ancestry. Pure human lineage of sorts. "Some times head suddenly hike up prices right before the sale and others conveniently were lowered. It isn't my usual bit of thing to look into but. . . The locals that read the paper have the right to every kind of truth I can dig up."

Most of his work wasn't a secret in his mind, -most-. So he didn't mind sharing a bit of what he had as long as he didn't give away too many facts that would swipe the story away from him when it came to a competitor.

Marcus leans against the table firmly while a nod waved through with Ikedi's input on living situations. "At first it was really great, but then it got to the point where I worked so much 'Home' couldn't be comfortable anymore. Feels less like a home at the moment." He had wondered what it'd be like living with another in the home but he wasn't so lucky. "That must be nice, having someone to just relax and unload the day with after the stress of adulating." A smiled briefly played on his lips. "Family can really be important if you have them. Work will always be there and piling but can't say the same about blood."

An eyebrow arched up in slight surprise. Did he really want to read it? Well, he wasn't one to saying no to someone interested in the material. "Sure, I have a deal with a few shops on Oliphant Lane that stock up on local Newspapers. Can pick one up from them usually on a Tuesday is when I have them all delivered." 

A shrink, a head shrinker. Ikedi has struggled with this term- it was always a negative connotation and where he was from those who shrank heads were feared. Not just from the muggle community either. The last thing he had wanted was to end up with head shrunk and in some old man’s shack for company. ”That could be said for a lot of us.” Ikedi could likely benefit from seeing a therapist- he didn’t talk much about the things that flew around his head- well to his assistant but she was sort of paid to listen to him. He would be lost without her honestly. She organized his life and he was truly grateful. He should get her flowers more often or something nice anyway.

”Oh everyone should have an assistant, I would have her organize more of my personal life if I could get away with it.” She might even be able to find him a date. Not that he was really looking, but once in a while it might be nice to get out. He listened intently however. ”Oye.” He moaned. ”They would do that back home. Or so I claim to remember, but it was more with the food and other resources they could get away with, people would need a soup bone when things were scarce…” Most of what they had owned was traded for other things, beads that his mother made, fabric she would dye in the bright and cheerful patterns he had come to love. His Dashiki now was from fabric his mother had so expertly colored.

”I have heard of this too, they will cut the prices by 70% but not before they increase them by 30.” He shook his head. There was still much corruption in the world. ”It may not be exciting like an escaped fugitive, but it is important to know. People who take advantage of such things… I am not a fan.” he said with a clearly displeased look. ”I will be looking for the piece. I think it will be valuable information.” It was good to have that exposure sometimes. He worked for an Agency where some things were to be kept secret, but transparency was something he would always show in his office. It made you trustworthy to those who would be otherwise untrusting.

He could understand that, he had an office in home and when he had to complete work he would only do so from the office. Those boundaries were important. ”That also makes sense. Boundaries and all that.” He said as he finished his beer and waved for another. ”And my friend’s next drink as well.” He indicated Marcus. ”Yes and no, I raised my siblings and so the lines have always been- blurry. We are just not getting to the point we can be friends though I admittedly struggle with not stepping away from that feeling of wanting to correct everything he may not get right.” It was not easy- even now his brother was a grown ass man, but he hated to watch him flounder. ”We are a work in progress.” he said thanking the bartender and sipping the beer once more.

”Do send directly to people? Could I have it delivered to my offices in the ministry?” Not that he wouldn’t make the effort to get it but he had become spoiled. He would happily admit to it.

(Ikedi)

"Ha! Truer words in every way." These days almost everyone seemed crazy and just way out of their mind. Of course, that was the risk of properly being an adult in this day and age.

Marcus chuckled lightly, the prospect that an assistant was looking more and more promising. Maybe he could convince a certain person he knew? Though he would first need to find out fi it'd even work for his kind of business, which it probably would now that he thought of it. "You could always just pay her more. Hard to turn down organizing someone's entire life when you have that kind of incentive."

He nodded a bit in understanding, it seemed Ikedi was a foreigner himself. "I think it's a sad truth everywhere. Back in Egypt it was quite rampant too. Though there are. . . Other problems there." Like many nations, Egypt has its despots but being that of the middle east gave a certain stigma that most quickly seemed to shift towards when discussing the many problems, terrorism of various kinds. "I never. . . Wanted for much but I did understand - saw the larger problems that were around."

Reaching out for food wasn't something he ever needed to worry about but the truth of the mater was that others did and ignoring that would do them no justice. It would take away advocates that could help better those kinds of situations. "It sounds like you worked hard to put your family to have better options in life."

"Oh yeah, it's really bad. The scalping is insane." His head shook in disapproval at the idea behind such a mentality. It was something he couldn't stand to fathom but had been on the end of such treatment every now and then. "The truth is truth, my motto! Whether it be something as simple as a sudden earthquake loosening some pipes underground or some crazy guy flinging a weapon about in a nearby park, it needs to be told. Information isn't about the quantity but the quality and importance to each person. But yea, keep your eye open for it! It will be done with full facts in place."

New drinks slide in front of both of them after his companions request as he leaned into the counter further and grasped the glass. "Much obliged." Raised his own siblings? That must have been a harsh burden, it even entered his mind - how young was he tasked to do it? No. . .It wasn't a task but perhaps more of expectation for all of them to survive and build. Maybe that's how his own mother actually felt?

He'll need to stop ignoring her if his mind continues on this track.

"I guess it's hard to let go, you don't want people to make mistakes that will stick with them. But at the same time you know they need to in order to grow and make their own way in life. That catch twenty-two scenario." Marcus brought the glass to his lips and tipped the liquid inside. "Maybe we all are just works in progress with family. Nothing is ever fully solved, right? Handle one problem another pops up like a bad habit."

A confirmed nod towards him at the question. "Sure, I do personal deliveries to folk that need it. You know, those that are always swamped with work and can't get out of the office. As well as those that are always on the move." Wait, did he say Ministry? Well. . . Now that would definitely explain the need for an assistant and the Office job. "All I need is the office information and I can drop it in."

He could pay her more. That much was true. He supposed he could ask her. ”I should offer.” He would have to see what he could budget. It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for him, he had a nice little portion saved for whatever he wanted to spend it on, this would be worth it. ”I once met someone whose whole job was to organize someone’s home and life, they would stick with someone for a few months and then move on. That was always interesting. To be so intimately involved on a business level.” he thought about it for a moment and smiled. ”It would take a special person.” He didn’t have motivation for his life, let alone the motivation to organize someone else’s.

Ikedi understood the stigma’s of terrorism. He was often asked about the blood diamonds and the children soldiers, atrocities even the magical could not escape. He had not encountered that, though he had met a few from the Congo who had not been as lucky. Africa it self had many issues and people seemed to attribute them to the whole of the continent without seeing the separations. The man was Nigerian. So they should ask him if he was that Prince who was trying to send them money. He wasn’t but he wouldn’t mind playing along. The thicker the accent the more people believed what they heard. ”Eygpt is in good company it seem most countries have their problems these days.”

”My parents started it for us, They worked hard to bring us someplace else.” They also had help. A man who knew his father’s work. Someone who took a chance on his mother as a seamstress. ”I found myself in charge when I was just 20. So I didn’t know my ass from elbow really.” Even helping his mother out he didn’t understand what it took to raise the family. ”I had three siblings in need of a parent and I up to that point had not trusted a government system.” It had been deeply ingrained that the governments were not to be trusted. It was funny he now worked at the Ministry but he had been able to take this as a lesson to be given to his subordinates.

”I believe it. I imagine this will be important- perhaps help shape commerce policies.” While some journalism was muckraking, there was some that he found to be valuable. Information was powerful. It always would be. Imagine what muggles might do with the knowledge that magic was real. Not the Cheap parlor tricks, but real. He smiled. ”Of course.” Sharing a beer with someone was such a basic, and necessary part of life in his humble opinion. ”That I can attest to. I just want the best for them.” Even the leach in his guest room. The idea anyone else might call him that make him rankle… but he could say it.

”Everything is a work in progress.” He agreed. Especially with family. ”I appreciate it.” He said. ”Creatures and Unfortunate events.” It was not hard to get something to him there, for one he had a rather unfamiliar name and his position. Not that he flaunted it much, especial on days like today. He shook his head. ”That is a pretty good thing. I can get caught up and not leave my office for a few days if an incident is bad enough.” He nodded as he sipped the beer. ”Thank you.”

(Ikedi)

"I give utter props to anyone who makes a living doing that, especially for the folks that have nothing but a busy schedule. Hahaha. That or that have multiple places that they need to be at with highly sensitive time stamps." That last one applied more towards himself as a grin slapped on his face at the thought. What would it be like if he had someone manage his paper routes and every single small businessman or woman that bought a stack to sell themselves? Not to mention having a separate schedule to indicate when and where he needed to sneak in for a good scoop? No, no, it was much better for him if he did it himself. No matter how mentally painful in the scope of boredom that it could be. "Not only special, but someone that had some fierce tenacity for it all."

Marcus' head canted briefly as if to twitch in acknowledgement towards the statement. "That is a truth, hard and firm. It's one of those things. . . You know stuff is happening, going on and not all of it you will catch. Most of it will be destructive but you just do what you can to mitigate the wave that comes after it while putting back a little bit of good and stability into it." It was a question he often asked himself, how should he deal with political earthquakes when it came to it? As a journalist information little groups that want to 'Pull the strings from beyond and play to be the Illuminati' tend to have involved some form of politico intent. Regardless, the truth needed to get out so that everyone could prepare especially those in the upper offices that kept it all in motion.

Parents that worked to the bone. . . That was something he could relate towards on some degree. Maybe not in exact simulation but he could understand the need of a parental figure trying to their best in every extent to provide for their children, especially if they didn't have the treatment or needs accessible to them without the effort being made. "I'd say they did what they wanted to in you all. I mean, many people step up to the plate but how well they take after their parent always remains to be seen. They worked hard, built it up, you held it together and blasted off towards higher heights. Especially with three siblings, that isn't easy when you, yourself, have to take other steps to make sure you are always in a position to provide. I can see why you'd watch after your brother much easier. The values you were given is worth passing on and holding inside ones self." He took another sip from his drink as the ice crashed against the glass. "And don't worry, trusting the Government is never on my list personally. Mostly because I stand on the side of Truth. I have to stay as far away from their hand as possible if I want to avoid the kind of censoring they offer at times."

He gave a compliant and smooth nod towards Ikedi. "That's the plan! Make enough of the citizens aware of it so that they can push in a wave themselves. Domino effect in place and execute. I don't know how much it'd effect it but I think it's at least important enough for others to feel empowered to old everyone accountable for the effects of commerce and economy. A lot of people are struggling just to get by and that is something that people even with a flicker of humanity in themselves should work to rectify." Marcus believed that if they didn't at least do it outside of their own countries that everyone should feel patriotic enough to be a good neighbor towards others.

"Creatures and Unfortunate events. . . " Maybe this was a form of fate? No, Marcus didn't believe in fate - No matter what seer said what! He believed in pushing through his own feet without any regard to 'What if's'. Yet. . . He couldn't look this kind of opportunity as just simple chance to slip away. "So does your office usually handle situations that involve those other than Humans that get involved in some situation? Such as a Veela being attacked or killed, or even a Fairy?" He needed a better understanding on how in depth the Ministry pushed its hand, how hard they worked to insure the safety and issues of others.

He needed another Ally for the darker side of the world that grips at the ankles behind the scenes.

”Indeed.” he said with a smile. Things were always happening. He didn’t believe it was about getting worse, it was more about awareness. The muggle and magical media had grown considerably and with awareness also came other things. Copy cats and those who wanted to be bigger and badder. It always seemed like a pattern when you looked at it. It made him wonder about humans. All humans. The sorts of things they did to one another, and often other creatures they shared the earth with. He had never met the man but he felt like he and James Herriot would have a lot to talk about. He let out a sigh. ”The world today.” It was a sadder tone than he had expected.

He nodded. ”That is a nice perspective. I have alwyas found that I am given the perspective I need from others.” When you were too enmeshed in things you never saw it the way you needed to. You saw it from one angle, or maybe 3 at best. You didn’t see the bigger picture all the time. He valued the opinions of his boss and of course those around him. They had invaluable insight into things and he was he then laughed. ”It would be very funny to my friends back home that I now work for a government.” he had also achieved high ranks. He wondered if he had sold out. ”The truth is the most precious and often the least valued. I do run my department with transparency.” He said with a smile. ”It drives many of my peers crazy.” Which was reason enough to do it.

He Nodded at the questions. ”That is what we do.” The incident he had left was horrible. ”It seemed to me where I could do the most good as a simple man.” He said. ”Personally, I don’t put different values on the worth of a life.” He said as he shrugged. ”I am sure that had not made me popular among some. But when it comes to safety it should extend to just the muggle and the magical.” He firmly believed that. He had seen what happened when you arbitrarily placed values on the lives of others… it never ended up well. Never.

(Ikedi)

"What more can you say about it, right?" So many descriptions passed through his own mind, what to make of the world? In it's equal parts of order and chaos it held a beauty yet fearsome quality towards how it operates. Even outside of the natural order of creature interactions the most dastardly would always be humanoids because of their various ideals, agendas, and positions in life. There were some days he thought why was he even doing what he did in the world, some of the horrors he witnessed and even had to guide people out of would make most people regret life. But there also could be said a split second of 'redemption' fueled within him other days.

Perspective from others. . . Yea, he could say he agreed on that. After all the paper he wrote was designed from the perspective of other people and then internalizing it himself to deliver some kind of quality. "They often say a person can never get the full picture on their own, more than a single view builds it up. " A snort that rolled into a chuckle emitted from him. "I get that sentiment, I think back sometimes on what some of the old folks at home would think about me in my position. Ranges from 'To be expected' to 'What!? Really?!', at least I assume it'd be. . . I don't actually intend to find out." Nope, not at all, that was a land mind that he's more than willing to avoid.

"Ha! Now the image of people running around yelling 'We have to be opened?! What even is that!?' constantly. But trust is important, public trust. It's shaping of communities and society." Marcus' head nodded as he listened to the Minister's platform, the view that most likely was the standing base for how he planned to run and take up situations that'd occur. "I was mostly curious since some of my harsher stories, the ones that aren't entirely for the faint of heart involve some of the displaced people. Those that were discriminated against one way or another. Ya' know like: Veela, Fairies, Elves, and the like. The acts of the extremists in the world."

There was not much else to say about it really. He shrugged his response however. There was not much else one would be able to say about the world. It was a mess. He could only do what he could do. ’Anyone who does have more to say about it is way above our paygrade.” he said with a nod. That was one of the things he didn’t have to contemplate while people waited for his response and he was glad he did not have to shoulder that burden. Instead he worked in small doses. ”We can only strive to make it a better place and maybe if enough of us actually follow through we may see change.” Though he had lost some hope in the matter. He just hoped that mankind would surprise him again.

”I find the less emmeshed I am in things, the better my point of views is. I am really the one who is supposed to keep the bigger picture in mind all the time.” Which was a lofty task but one he supposed he had signed up for it when he took the position. ”I imagine they would still find themselves interested in the work you do. It is extremely interesting.” He had to admit the man sitting with him had held his attention for an extended period of time. He let out a small laugh as he thought about it.”I want their trust, I want them to know that when I say something not only do I mean it but I intend to follow through.” he nodded. He wanted to be different than the government he had come from.

Ikedi nodded. ”Do you have these stories? I cannot comment too much on active investigations, I don’t want to cause someone to not see the justice they are entitled to, but I can share what I know about the others, things that many wouldn’t know… if you would like.” He didn’t mind someone who was helping raise awareness on some of these things. ”I think it would help shine the light on how some creatures are treated and unfairly they are treated otherwise sometimes. We have a few freed house elves that help with filing the paperwork and I have to admit they have improved the office atmosphere quite a bit. Such cheerful personalities I love it.” They did file things away quite nicely.

(Ikedi)

"Heh, I hope they just kick a bit of that paygrade my way!" He shook his head with a good-natured smile pressed on his face. As he thought of it personally that was something he didn't want to take on himself. That wasn't where his talent was in anyways and he needed to work with what he had in order to push the waves that he wanted to make. "That's the plan. Even if it doesn't manage to happen in my own lengthy lifetime I still want the chance of massive waves to shake through people. Change. . . Rarely is it ever rapid. More often it's slow and painful, bloodied and sweat laden. But, it's totally worth it."

Marcus could be considered an activist idealist of sorts. But the difference in his own mind is that he wasn't going to sit back and just speak about it. He'll write about and push it out and let others make up their mind with the full information. "Huh, yeah, I actually never considered it like that. It's like you never really see everything when it's chaotic. But if you're just outside the chaos looking from another angle? You'll see something even others deep in the chaos would miss, despite being so close."

A hum resonated in his throat a bit. "Maybe only a few of them would be interested. Maybe my Mother but I haven't talked to her in years. . . As far as my grandparents, well, I'm about as dead to them as a bee after it stings someone." Despite the laugh he eased out it held a somewhat saddened tone laced through it. "Pretty sure they respect that too even if it means more work. Trust and credibility go hand in hand too. Even more amongst a persons staff members which means they'll be more likely to come to you when stuff blows up. Less fear and more confidence."

"Oh, man, Elves are cool. When you meet some of the ones that have managed to get over their anxiety of the sudden social climate change they're extremely hilarious. Plus, they have some really neat ideas." It took him a bit to remember if he actually had every article tucked away still. A nod flowed from him as he mentally envisioned the right cabinet and the several files stacked inside of the drawer. "Yea, I still should have a lot of my past work archived away in a hard copy. I had an acquaintance who really helped me out and lost someone close to them. So, I make sure to always save up stuff like that, this way people informed and aware. Just in case they just happened to forget what we scratched our way out of. That people like the Elves are still struggling despite the freedom they've been given. Made them even more of a target and people just seem to. . . Ignore it."

If anyone knew about change, it was Ikedi. He had faced a lot of it, seen a lot of it. He had much to learn as part of it. He was shunned in his home because he was seen as something evil. He grew up with beliefs that had been hard to shake when it was discovered he was magical. Ikedi had never felt evil, at least not in this lifetime. Change is a good thing.” He nodded at the statement. ”I like when it comes in massive waves, hopefully with shock. Like when house elves were seen as more than just slaves.” He had been rather fond of that movement. He himself had never had the need for one, well he had the need for a maid, not a slave. ”But I do agree the lengthy battle is one won with bitter sweet victories. For no battle is without casualty.” That was the hard part. Minimizing the casualty.

”IT easy to miss things right in front of your face. I am all about the perspectives.” He was too they had been something he needed to keep a pulse on, and to be sure he had the right one at most times. He was guilty of not keeping his perspective, that much was true. He smiled. ”I am glad I could offer some perspective for you.” He smirked, the dimples in his face fleeting before he took a sip of the beer. Letting out a small hum in return he understood. ”I hope you and your mother do tall again at some point if you wish. I find it hard not to give that unsolicited advice.” He did know that things were not always easy between parents and children, but he also knew that he would trade everything for just one more day with his parents.

He smiled. ”That is the hope. It’s harder to cover the explosion when you have no idea about why it happened. So far, so good. I am merely trying to be a vessel of change for the ministry and for magical creatures.” One could only control themselves that was what his mother always told him when he was picked on. ”Hopefully people with follow my lead.” Hopefully. He nodded once more and smiled wide. ”They are a good time mate. I play poker with one and he has us rolling all the time.” Ikedi was not a gambler and they played for buttons not money. ”Oh hard copies? I might be interested in reading that.” He said leaning into the bar for a moment. ”I think I would enjoy it.” And why not? 

(Ikedi)

A battle, it did feel like it was like that with every turn. No, more like he had always been at war and the small things he had done were the battles. His battlefields? The ears of people and their eyes using the storefronts as the artillery device to fire his words. It had been a while since he thought about the idea of fighting, at least since he crawled his way from the underground. "I admit that the appeal of a wave is. . . Enticing." For him, it'd be much more enticing than even the scent of blood. "That quick appearance and force that strikes at peoples minds, emotions, and moralities." That's what it was at the end of the day, a battle of ideals and moralities. Not everyone would view things the same way and it came down to 'More of us over them' to truly garner a win. It fit anyways, in a real war total armies being wiped out hardly ever happen it's the percentage drop that wins the field.

"Sometimes I forget the perspective." Which is one of the points that often make him feel guilty, he took up this fight to offer perspective. When you lose it and while saying you stand for the idea of it then you lose your ground to fight for it, as long as you're in willing to learn and see anyways. "Hehe, yea I get you. You only have one mother in most cases. I have played with the idea that I should stop playing hard to get with her and just sit down and talk about the issues." Really, he blamed the time he spent with Gem. He was entirely content until he saw that bond between her and her daughter - that kind of sight makes a person trying to run from their parent wonder how poor of a child they're being.

"That's true, you can only control yourself. Influencing everything else in the path, I guess when it comes down to it there is a massive difference between the two idea. The major irony that both pull on one another." It was influence that motivated people and gave the illusion of control, but it was control of oneself that further perpetuated that influence in some people. "They'll follow, can't expect everyone to follow but people will respond." Cause and Effect, it was bound to happen and regardless of the path people will follow. It's just a matter of who they would end up influencing.

"Hehe, I know an Elf like that." He smiled a bit at his old buddy that often stopped into check on him. "He really is loving the idea of wanting to be an actor with an all Elf production. I keep telling him do it and I'll publish it, he'll get the numbers. " He offered a smooth nod towards his question. "I like hard copies, even if I lose the digital ones I still have proof that I can upload elsewhere." Marcus chuckled a bit as he finished up his second drink with his constitution still unaffected. "I can guarantee there will be an interesting bit every issue. I've been interviewing a few people to start up an Arts section for it now too. Slap a bit of culture in the community."

A quick moving wave. Ikedi has often imagined it before he went to sleep at night. It was not something that came up often. But it was something that he liked to think of. It would be the only way he would see the change he wanted in his lifetime. However he was content with seeing even the small amounts of change he did see from time to time. It meant they moving in the right direction, even if it was taking a little longer than he wanted. He let out a deep sigh as he thought about it. ”The things we may eventually see as old men.” At least he hoped. He was getting up in years and though he did not think he was going to die, he wondered if he would live to be old enough to have seen those things.

He nodded. ”I have, since losing my mother found the advice is often given regardless of the situation that led to the estrangement. Even if it is just for the purpose of closure.” Sometimes, even if you wanted things to work out they simply didn’t- but in those cases you at least knew that you didn’t have to wonder about the what ifs. That was the thing that always managed to get Ikedi himself those what ifs. He however was not able to call his mother and ask her why she left. The note that had been left explained her sadness but not why she felt the need to end it and leave her children. He was barely old enough to take care of himself let alone his siblings. Though, in times like that you simply did what you had to do.

People would respond. Sometimes that was all you needed to get an issue out there. The loudest mouth may disagree but exposure was important. He had seen many times and issue get traction because of exposure. Sometimes people just liked to be the Devil’s Advocate and Ikedi could work with that. So long as the right information was getting out there in the process. ”Sometimes the response does more for the cause. Even if the response is against the cause. Bringing it to be bigger news, and then you get people who will respond to the response… it’s sometimes truly amazing to see happen.

He smiled. ”It is something to see sometimes. He cleans us out of our buttons.” he said with a smile. There was something that always made him like talking to the elf. ”I imagine that its always a good thing when your friend is around.” He said with a smile. ”Ah yes, good culture is always a good thing.” That was something that too many people lacked sometimes. It was easy to look it all over…

(Ikedi)

The topic of age. . . It made him smirk a bit. "Well, Old men is kind of relative depending on the person." He laughed lightly at the idea. While he was by no far immortal he knew his process of degradation by age was much, much slower than some people. Of course, it also didn't make Ikedi's words any less true. Change often took hundreds of years and by then he'd probably be considering just where his life had gone or maybe a hermit in some shady looking cottage. It is an honor to believe you can be apart of the change, but an entirely higher accolade to live and see it shift before ones very own eyes. That was the kind of effect Marcus wanted to live through at least once in his life.

"Closure. . . That is often needed much more than most people try to give it credit." It made sense and he wasn't one to fight against the idea entirely. The thought had invaded his mind in the recent days and it was like two parts of him fighting in indecisiveness. Was it a good idea? A bad idea? What would he be pulling up under the compart where the boards of his past hid all of his pain? "I sure hope that doesn't extend to other family members." His mother was one thing, he was unjustly angry at her and he could admit that. But his grandparents? No, they were worse, deep inside he'd hate to admit he wish they were having a horrid life.

Spite.

Marcus nodded at this notion in agreement. "Without opposition true awareness is never acquired." That was his personal belief, if someone didn't fight back then the larger issues wouldn't be talked about. Ideas needed to conflict to develop growth and in that growth greater understanding tended to be reached towards. It was one of the reasons he chose the journalist arena, he was the opposition, the one that pushed others to fight for their ideals and confront things. "In the face of adversity people are inspiring and game changers. It is the breaking point that vaults them forward in full force unexpectedly but once they reach a certain depth they keep on going without slowing. Even with resistance."

Those House Elves! They were the crafty sort when they were allowed to grow, to experience the same opportunities as other people. "Oh, yeah, he always brings laughs and a good time. He does this great impression of a Brooding person that's hilarious. Mostly because his voice can't go as deep as he thinks but it just adds more to the character being portrayed." One day he'll see a brooding Elf. "That's how I feel. Stopping to smell the painted roses can be good for the mind, clears up a lot of mess when you can look at something that's abstract."

That much was true, some creatures lived much longer than others. ”That is true, depending upon your species you have different lengths of lives.” He said with a nod. It was something he tended to forget sometimes, he had a veela in his office the other day who was older than he managed to comprehend. Though she had come with some rather good points… but he was not sure if he thought they were good because he had been affected by her charm… he would have to read them again now that he was free from her influence. Letting out a small smile he nodded.

”That I do not know much about, it was always just my parents and my siblings.” He said with a shrug. ”And so I am not sure how far that this idea extends… perhaps that is something that is set person to person.” he suggested. ”I mean, i suppose if someone was raised by their grandparents or aunt and uncle it might apply that way… You know….” Families could be such delicate things… Incredibly delicate in many ways. He had seen it when he suddenly became the patriarch at a young age. He shook his head and then took a sip of his drink.

He gave a small laugh and he nodded. ”There is purpose to all things.” he said with a smile. It was a good thing. He believed that there was purpose to most things. Even the evil in the world had to have some purpose. Though he had a harder time explaining it. ”That much is true, they are in fact rather phenomenal when the chips are down.” Ikedi was one who had managed to make a profit when the chips were down. Letting out a small laugh as he thought about he nodded.

”I have to say people should really send more time with them, they are by far some of the funniest creatures on this earth.” he said as he twirled the glass in the ring of condensation. ”That and listening… I find that is one of the many things that’s helps me get through n unbearable day is something from Bach, even Wagner.”

(Ikedi)

He knew his fair share of those who held quite the longevity. It often shocked him to ear the ages some of his contacts would be, and the lookers! Veela's were always quite a blessing to the eyes, of course, they even managed to entrap someone like himself under their influence at times. There were at least two times in his life that he could count that a Veela or part-Veela nearly had him fully at attention, he'll need to do better about that in the future. Unless it's a particular one, he wouldn't mind being under that charm!

Why did he have to explain it that way? It meant that he did need to eventually make at least personal amends to his grandparents. They were there with his Mother, supporting them, at least until the 'dreadful secret' emerged before their eyes. "Ha, then it looks like I have a lot of 'getting over' to do. One step at a time though, one step at a time. I just have to make sure I am in the right state of mind so that I don't say anything too out of line when the times comes along." The right words always seemed to be around when you least truly need them, writing and working on his journalist opportunities had been easy work with words. But when it came to trying to deal with his family? Even just talking about them swept the thoughts away.

"It's pretty impressive yet bewildering when you consider it. There isn't any true scientifically reason or even magical know how on why things occur as they do in those circumstances." Marcus laughed as a smile spread wide across his face. "Ones will seems to always be just outside the confinement of probability in all instances.: It was remarkable and even being a creature that held such a strong will he often was surprised at how far it could take a single person let alone multiple people.

He nodded a hummed. "And Elf meet and greet. . . I can see that helping people get to see the true spirit that they hold." The young man's interest peeked even further when he named old yet prominent composures. "Pachelbel holds a fondness for me to be honest. The cool nature of the music and how it resonances settles the spirit. Maybe it is just because the instruments themselves have such intense soul pushed into them."

Letting out a small smile he looked at him. ”I think you seem like a rather intelligent young man, and so I imagine that you will mange to make sense of it.” he said with a smile. It was one of the many things he could tell about he young man who was sitting with him. He thought about what he would do if he had to make amends, though he supposed given what he was… ”I would have to make amends for something I couldn’t make amends for, I cannot help my nature more than they could help yours. Part of why I have not gone back home to Nigeria is because I would be cast out. Witch and magic are dirty words… things to be feared. If my grandmother was alive I imagine she would feel the same about me.” he said. ”that is hard to apologize for, I wouldn’t change my nature… Even if I could.” he admitted.

It was easy to say so now however. They were all long passed. He figured that they would have held bigger pull had they been around still. His sister was also magical, so it had to be something about them. He sighed. ”I suppose it is a good thing you do not have to get over it all now, or even within the year.” That was the joy of getting over things, it was often your own timeline. ”Its truly amazing honestly. I am constantly amazed.” he said. ”People would suppose this meeting between you and I siting here was supposed to happen, and I would be inclined to believe the fates may have had a small hand in this meeting. How often do these things just happen?”

It was rhetorical, but he thought it was something that he would keep a small pulse on. How often things like this happened in his life and he had come to the conclusion that they didn’t just happen. Nothing ‘just happened.’ Not in his line of work either. There was always something that led to someone else. He smiled at the thought. ”but then my view is limited to my own experience and that is never a good sample.” he said with a smile. It was not the best thing to go on. He shook his head.

”It would be a roaring good time. I would love to see them be the center of attention and their stories listened to. And maybe then m y friend would stop taking me for all my buttons.” He said with a small laugh. ”My pea coat doesn’t get much use but it would be nice to have buttons on it.” He had bought it for a fall spent in London. It had served him well. ”Canon in D is still a musical influence.” He said. ”I always enjoyed Paganini as well- I think the more you put your soul into something, the better it is.” Music or otherwise.

(Ikedi)

"Ha, At least someone has some faith in me on that regard! I won't take that for granted though, really." The way he spoke gave am idea and for all intents and purposes they were similar in that matter. So, he was a Muggle born. . . He was casted out by a Pureblood family probably as quick as the fellow next to him was cast out by his own in Nigeria. "That's also true too, though. Trying to make amends because of something out of your own control is almost like denying yourself." Well, he was already at that point but could he deny what he was much more? For much longer? He was a target in the government which meant that it was a meaningless effort when it came down to it, the truth of it all anyways. That was the larger thought, if he had a choice would he change what he was? A smirk played over his lips amused at the idea and yet despite his personal thought. . .

"I don't think I would either. Due to who I am as a person I've managed to meet the type of people that I have. Changing who I am would have change so much that, really, I'm not too keen on changing." Especially since he wasn't too bad of a person, for a blood sucker. A snicker escapes his lips. "Those are often my words, I find that the surprises never seem to end for me these days. As cliché as it may sound ended up meeting a really cool person whose guitar case smacked into my knee." Not that it really hurt but it did aggravate the ever so sensitive skin of his. "Since I've stepped in Australia I've actually found that it seems to occur so much more here for some odd reason. Fateful meetings that shake the very foundation of ones life or view, expectations shattered in a good way most cases."

A memory of his flashed to when he had been in the Underground trying to find a way and carve it without any true assistance. The kind of people he met were misunderstood, those mistaken or harmed one way or another. Those like himself and Ikedi.

"One thing that's always kept me alive as well as successful as a Journalist has been 'Trust your gut instinct'. It's almost always right on the money."

Marcus' hand rubbed on the side of his face as he laughed heartily. "That or he'd just invite you to a table that would take turns stealing all of your buttons.". The sentiment that imbuing ones soul made an impact was something he agreed with, after all it was what you often seen in peoples creations. A person could be technically amazing in painting a painting, playing a piano, writing a poem, but if it didn't have the true essence of the person? It'd be just a scribble, just noise, only words. "Soul, the very defining prospect that makes something art. It's so far beyond just having the skill but you can always tell if the person is in their piece or simply. . . The piece existing. Almost like innate knowledge of this constantly connected web of emotions that links people when it comes to such things."

He nodded. ”I didn’t ask for the ability to wave a wand and levitate things… but it was something I managed to be born with.” He shrugged. ”I am not ashamed of who I am either and Pride can often stand in my way when I think about how to make amends with the possible family back home. It would not serve me to grovel and tell them I don’t like who I am. I think it would have to be more of an understanding that their world is not as it had seemed to them for their lifetime and that is hard pill to swallow.” He said. ”My parents struggled with it.” He nodded. ”But they ultimately accepted who I was. I am thankful for that.” He said with a smile.

”I believe that when you are open to the ideas of fate, things will often times just fall in your lap, or bump your knee.” That was always the key, to be open to something. Ikedi believed he had an open mind and he did his best to project that mind on people and places and things. It helped- he could have easily ended up writing the man off beside him as a crazy fellow but the start of their conversation had become a rather enjoyable event. He smiled. ”The gut, a useful tool for many professions.” He had one, the aurors had one… many in the ministry had one. ”I read somewhere that it was a real thing… some psychology journal my sister reads. WI wish I could remember the science behind it.”

He said honestly. It had been an interesting read. He let out a laugh. ”Buttons.” He shook his head. The idea of the house elves stealing his buttons made him laugh. They were not the sort who stole things. Well he didn’t think so they were a rather grateful and cheery bunch. He looked at the man beside him. ”I should however get going myself. It has been a long day. But- I would like to meet up again… soon.” He said with a smile.

(Ikedi)