Dylan Connell

Complete Friends in Dark Places (Feb. 8 2018)

Narragyambie ☆ Assistant Wandmaker✩ Kaitore
39 year old Pureblood Human ☆ HE/HIM

Dylan had not expected for the friend card to be called in so soon but it also seemed like Doe had been a bit. . . Distressed. At the very least it sounded as if she just needed someone to listen in on something that struck a dangerous chord within. The door was left ajar purposefully almost as if to invite whom ever decided to walk on in which was usually against his policy but this also was very extenuating circumstances. 

The house had been custom designed to hold a form of homely feeling. The walls were coated in a cool blue with well designed and absorbent carpets. The dining set was of maple wood and kept pristine as one would expect as a severe man like Dylan to hold. There were just standards that he had to live by even at home and it was always about a presentation of who he was, an immaculate and overly-calculating individual. 

It also just helped him to know that not everything in his life had been a mess hence the obsession with everything needing to have a crisp and clean outlook. The living room set was no exception with a curved sectional couch bathed in a very dark leather that complimented the walls of the house. If he needed to live under a false alias it also simply had to be something no one would expect an ex-murderer to live within but most importantly where his enemies would most likely avoid. Someone on the run would often be in the slums, not living it up in such a high class place. 

On the table were two wine glasses with a single bottle of wine in the center of it already uncorked and waiting. He had been sitting at the table with his legs crossed over one another while a book was cracked opened. It had been the first installment of Caitlin Sullivan's crime novel. An arched eyebrow the entire time that his eyes scanned the pages. "I surely hope this isn't how she views me. . . I seem like such a creeper."

• Like 1

Melbourne ☆ Creative Director Melbourne DanceKay
33 year old Halfblood Human ☆ her/she

The problem Eudoxia had was that she had pretended for the sake of her brother, that everything was fine. For one she knew what Lot would say. That and she didn’t want Lot to confront Jason. It was not wise to tell any of the family honestly. They had always been overly protective of their family. Something she had thought Jason understood, or at least trusted about her. She found her identity being tied to being a wife and mother and Jason had questioned her ability to be both. It had been a deep wound. But then usually those who were closest to you could. 

Her plea to Dylan had been out of slight desperation. She was sure that she would combust if she didn’t at least display the fact her heart had broken. Nothing had hurt like hearing Jason tell her to go. The years they had been together, the things she had opened up about had been thrown in her face. She had taken care of herself before, she would be alright- she was just wounded. The kids were left with Lot, they had gone back to sleep and she wouldn’t be gone for a long time, just long enough to put on a better face with her children and then her grandparents. It had been her them who had finally gotten emotion from her when her mother had died. 

Though focusing on the fact Atlas had a secret love child would take the heat off her a bit. She had let him know she was coming. The door was cracked a bit and she knocked softly and walked in. ”Dylan.” she said as she poked her head around the corner smiling slightly at him and the set up. ”But you are a creep.” She pointed out as she walked towards the table. ”A delightful creep, but still a creep.” She said as she sank into the chair. 

”But it takes one to know one, I suppose.” She said. ”Good wine?” She looked up at him as she asked. Before she looked at the book. ”Does it bother you that you are a creep… or that she might see you as a creep?” She looked at him. ”I thought you were the anti-hero. Aren’t they a little creepy?” She said. It was a funny thing- the way things worked out.

A hand reached out to beckon the woman inwards in case she would stall from entering fully. He didn't know what was on her mind but it was certainly something enough to have her go all out of her way to get here. Especially since it seemed she was a bit down in the dumps at a first glance or maybe it was the way her voice eased out in the room. The amount of preparations she had to make not to alert her family did come to mind for him but he wanted her to explain things at her own pace. 

"Come on in, take a seat." The book was gently closed with a bookmark nestled between the pages. It was like reliving certain parts of his life through the pages only massively dramatized. It was. . . Weird, something that he would need to get used to as long as he continued reading the collection of books. A snicker did escape from his lips as he shrugged slightly about the accusation. "I plead the fifth. Agreeing would be self incrimination of the truth that I am a very delightful creep. The best in the business at that but I must hang up the creeps coat for the time being." All in all the book wasn't an entire lie just a massive over exaggeration of a few or a bunch of facts depending on how engrained in its history one actually was. 

His eyes watched as she sank into the chair and he took up the bottle to pour in the wine in each glass, only half full. Then pressed it back onto the table. "Are you hungry at all? I can always make something or order some form of food." Things were relatively quiet in the area so most restaurant's didn't mind late night deliveries. "Well if I am a delightful creep that only makes you one as well, balances everything in the world out evenly." He glanced towards the bottle of wine and then nodded. "When I heard how desperate you sounded I had to take a bit of a short cut. . . Batted my eyelashes and all, got the old man to relinquish one of his best. It did help that I said 'Doe sounded a bit down'. Only the best to up a mood."

It was a good question he had to admit it. "I don't think it bothers me too much but I think it's also because she could have made me sound a lot more worse, like myself during that time. " He smiled genuinely towards her as he slid the book towards the center of the table. "A man who was once a Death Eater, a soldier of the Dark Lord by the heritage of his parents. That alone is bad enough that it requires much more damnation in my mind." He shrugged soon after. "But she's willing to work out getting to understand one another, person to person. I want to honor that."

Dylan snorted a bit at her idea of what an Anti-hero. "Creepy? Probably, most are in many books I've read. Either their mentally unstable, awkward, or tend to have a Greecian woman sitting across them asking how creepy they are." He offered a grin towards her in light of the conversation with he cupped the bottom of the wine glass in his hand. "So, out with it, Doe. I know something is bothering you and you need to vent. I just need to know how drunk I need to get you and how many targets I need to line up for you to shoot at while you tell what's on your mind."

• Like 1

Doe for most of her life had always pretended she was fine, she wore a mask made of the finest china and very few saw the cracks- but her mask was cracking. She was breaking down inside of it and the pressure was starting take it’s toll. She knew that she needed to say something to someone… but she had time to think. Which was not good, her mind had twisted and turned in many ways. Doe had worried that Jason no longer wanted her. She knew rationally that he was busy. But part of her wondered if he stayed away because there was someone else. Did he have someone who could give him what she couldn’t? Maybe he deserved better than her? 

”You could plead the fifth, I am pretty sure that I know for a fact that you are a delightful creep.” Doe countered. He could try to plead the fifth, but she knew. That was the many joys of friendship… you just knew. ”At least we are in good company creep.” She said with a half smile, her lips twitching at the rather unnatural sensation. She waved her hand for a moment. ”Oh no, i don’t have the stomach for food. But thank you.” she placed and elbow on the table and took one of the glasses by the stem and she took a sip. 

There was a laugh that followed. ”That is something I wish I could have seen, but I told you that you just needed to flirt, show a little skin.” She said and shook her head. ”I am rather impressed you did all od that for me.” She had needed a little bit of a boost. She felt lousy. She hated that she had handed so much of her power to Jason, he was able to have such a strong effect on her. Maybe she was a bad mom? But her brother… didn’t he understand the importance of kindness especially to family. There was nothing else in the world she wanted but to keep her family safe. They were the most important thing. Especially to her. 

”Well.” She said for a moment. ”I think my marriage could be over.” She said. It sounded harsh when she said it. ”Jason questioned my judgment when it comes to the safety of our children. Said I was foolish…” She shook her head. ”It started because I found out that I have another brother. One that my father didn’t know about for 15 years. He was living in a community in Papa New Guinea, and Atlas thrust him into this environment because he wanted to get to know his son. Atlas kept it from us for 2 years.” She sighed. ”He is so much like the rest of us.” she had loved meeting him. She was looking forward to getting to know him better and better.

”I invited him over for lunch and when I told Jason he went ballistic.” She said with a sigh. ”I was mad because he had spent so much time away from us. I was packing when he came home. Just to go to Greece for a few days and he damn near shoved me out the door.” It had been harsh She shook her head. ”He’s never questioned me, he threw my past in my face… he walked away from me.” She took a sip of her wine. 

Dylan snickered at her as he shrugged briefly. "I can agree it's good company. But just because you know doesn't mean you can prove it." He started to bring the glass of wine to his lips. "Yet." A smirk stretched and soon there was a gentle tip of the glass to let the liquid of the wind flow down his throat. It was one of the good batch too, the old man new how to make a situation just a bit better when it needed it to be. "Very well, just remember you denied the chance to have tough steak, burned macaroni cheese, and overly crisp biscuits." Mmm. . . Appetizing, not really but that was his way of identifying that his own cooking was dreadful. Especially in comparison to Doe's. 

"My winning good looks and my eyes weren't enough? If I have to show skin I may as well sign myself up under the magical pole dancers society. At least get myself some actual benefit from doing it. A single bottle of wine just isn't worth it even if it is the Old Man's." His head nodded into a bow towards her and then lifted back up. "It sounded dire enough that I needed to get only the best. I didn't bring any ice cream or chocolate so. . . The really good wine had to suffice or it just wouldn't do at all." That was also part of his prim-proper habit that he had still a hard time breaking away from, he couldn't handle cheap wine with his refined taste buds. 

Then her next words hit him hard - mostly because he knew how hard such words would hit her. While a strong woman she was still a person, a being with emotions. Some one who had clawed her way to grab her happiness only to, what it seems, have it snatched away. Without making a sound or even an attempt to interrupt her. Perhaps the words hit harder since he knew how difficult it could be when someone gives up on you or at least manages to threaten it enough. 

"That is a lot. . . To happen all at once. " That was just something that the Karras' tended to do at least from the bit he had remembered over the years. Their family was important to them primarily because of how Atlas often acted as an irresponsible parent, though it also seemed like he was trying to do better. Failing, but trying. "You did nothing wrong." He stated bluntly. Sure, one could take a negative spin on it though he also knew Doe well enough. "Your children, your family - is important to you. Wanting to learn about your own brother, those children's Uncle, that is a right owed by all of you. It wasn't the young man's fault that he was put in that situation nor was it any of yours. It just sounds like you were trying to settle him in, help him make the best out of a suddenly changed situation." He lowered his eyes to stare into the glass as he started to swirl the liquid around. The. . . Pep talk bit he wasn't really good at, he never had been. This was all from his perspective as someone whose looking into a scenario with a practical mind. 

"If he was quick to misunderstand the situation than he has a lot to be questioned on himself. I will not call into question his own judgement, his views or what not. I don't know the man from a hole in the wall. " This also put him out of his depth since he had never been in an actual relationship let alone a marriage. Whether they were done or whether they just needed time was something he couldn't truly comment upon. Not without actual knowledge. "Ones past isn't something that should easily be tossed. There are wounds in that box that should never be opened, regardless of the fight." That was the best he could summarize up. 

Dylan then was prompted to stand up as he slid the chair into the table and started to head over towards a door that seemed to sit at the center of the room against an indented wall. The rattle of chains and a lock clicking open resonated in the home as he pushed the door up and flicked a switch to turn on lights. It looked as if it would descend. "Come." It wasn't a request, it was him telling her to follow along. 

As he stepped down each step it'd descend deeper into the houses bowels until it opened out to a basement. The basement itself was outfitted much like a training ground for magic - Wards in place to contain volatile spells -dummies in place designed to be durable and take up massive impact constantly. He had always needed to keep his skills sharp but it also made a personal ground to test out wands. 

• Like 1

”My loss.” She deadpanned. She had always been the ne to cook. The lessons she had enjoyed from her mother, and Lot’s mother, those were her favorite. They all spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking, laughing and in general being rather happy together. All memories that seemed to be missed more given her predicament. The fact was, she was mad at Jason for not being home, that had been her argument. He had turned it around and attacked her very core. The fact that she would have put kids at risk. That her love for family was somehow a detriment to her ability o be a good mother. It could have been him looking for an easy out. Doe was nto good enough for him, or his image… maybe there as someone who was? 

Jason always had admirers and maybe they had won him over? She gave a soft sigh as she looked at Dylan. ”I would not be surprised if you turned up there. I know a few who do dance at a gentleman’s club… I could get you an interview.” She said with a laugh. Doe had explored all aspects of dance. It was something she had always loved but it was not something that she would have considered as a career. She looked at Dylan. He was a smart man. ”I suppose the wine will have to do for now. I have not had a night off in…. 4 years now?”She said. Kids always made things harder. Letting out a small laugh she took another gulp. 

”Then why do I feel like I have done something wrong?” She asked him. She had not wanted her marriage to end. She had not wanted to say goodbye to the years but what could be rebuilt? Jason didn’t trust her. That hurt. How could he not trust her. He knew what Malcolm had done to her, what he had put her through. What she had endured to keep Silas safe once Malcolm had resurfaced. The scars did not just littler her body but her soul too. ”I think there could be someone else.” She said softly. The words felt strange in her mouth.”He has been working long hours, he was quick to accuse me of leaving. Malcolm would do that.” She said looking at him. Dylan knew what Malcolm would do very well. 

”When he had been dishonest or betrayed someone he accused them of the same. He used to accuse me of cheating when he had been out with someone. I don’t know. I could be over thinking things but things have not been the same. Maybe he knows that I can only hold him back? I just don’t know why it made him so angry. The boy is not a stranger… he is my blood.” Which meant something to her. Jason had to understand that right? ”If I had thught that a seventeen year old boy, who is my family and has not been violent with Atlas would be violent with me and the kids.” Jason didn’t even try to ask questions about him. 

She looked sideways for a moment and then stood to follow him. She as not sure where she was going but she didn’t mind too much… anything was better than sitting and feeling sorry for herself. Following him down she looked around. ”What is this?” She asked though she knew. ”Is this what you do wit h yourself instead of asking pretty novelists out?” She said with a smile.

"Perish the thought, they aren't ready for the 'Brood Irishman of Legs'. Just couldn't handle how fast I'd drop the brood on them." A sly smirk tugged at his lips though for all intents and purposes he would have made a horrible stripper. Could anyone truly imagine him as one? That didn't read some kind of fan-fiction. Even he had to admit that thought was still a humorous one, something he should bring up to Cate when they were on less awkward terms. Maybe it might even break the ice between them just a bit. "What even is a night off? Maybe you can tell me because I have never seen such a thing." Which was a truth in itself, for as long as he worked with Malcolm he only ever worked. There was 'down time' but it was never truly a night off. Everyone had to watch over their shoulder either for their enemies or those inside the group that may have had one issue or another. Malcolm alone was unpredictable which had always unsettled Dylan. 

The pains of Doe's heart started to flow from her once more vocally. A soft hum vibrated within him as he listened to the woman. "It isn't unnatural to feel that you've done something wrong in this kind of situation, I think." Judgement by considering the magnitude, he didn't need to experience a relationship to at least have a more in depth view on different aspects. "It's that sense of loss that draws that kind of doubt. " He couldn't help but chuckle gently as he shook his head lightly. "I don't think he's seeing anyone else. Ministry work is long work especially if he's aiming to be in a seat of making a major impact, sounds like he needs to curb his quick anger a bit better. But either way the amount of time is expectable, not acceptable, but still to be wary about." Life was fleeting, people come and go and losing everything can come in the flash of an eye. To neglect these things was a detriment to a person much more than they realized, something he had found himself lamenting for many years. 

As she continued on he turned his gaze towards her almost as if to remind her of one simple fact. "Doe, he is not Malcolm. " He hadn't met the man but he knew if he was anything like that detestable man that her Brother would have handled it, if not him, than Dylan himself would have gotten a bit of the hint when he held a reunion with the woman. "While I do not agree with the reason of anger, just remember the kind of harm that has come to you. Do you think someone wants to see you in that situation? To their family? A man can be irrational when all he holds dear to his heart is in threat." His fingers tapped together for a moment in thought as he counted it off in his mind to gather up his thoughts. "It sounds like you two need to truly talk, discuss and understand the situation fully." 

There were few things that could tug at Dylan's heart and maybe it was just due to being jaded. But to see a friend he had cared for in such a disarray set his heart into a saddened state. Not that he'd admit that, no, he had an image to keep. A past that demanded he not break in such a way. "Just remember, Blood can betray blood, I am proof." Followed by a gentle shake of his head. "That doesn't mean you shouldn't give them the chance to show they're family, however. Not everyone is from my background, not everyone is on a battlefield to fight. He may not see how you see and that's alright. What makes people work together isn't always mutual vision but the determination to open ones mouth and explain, communication." Said the Man of the Shadows. 

A person who lost grip of their reasoning from the stress of many things would rarely ever ask questions. At times questions were often the last thing a person ever cared about what they wanted was an answer some kind of understanding without needing the questions to form from their own lips. 

Dylan looked around the basement, his little training grounds for his skills and talents in the art of combat by various means. "This is where I practice the only thing I have ever truly known. War." He started to shift around one of the dummies as he dragged the tips of his fingers along the battered exterior. "Mm. I must avoid her some how without her always trying to catch me nearby." His head shook subtly as he started to draw back from the training implement. "I don't think I could ask her out anyways. There is still this sense of awkwardness but. . . Maybe I will. People celebrate that infernal valentines day." He shrugged at the idea. 

Continuing on he jousted his head towards the room in general. "Here you can get all those frustrations out in physical activity. Get every inch of your emotions out. The pain, the sorrow, the anger - let it unleash in your wand if you have it. If not I do have some punching bags around here as well. Use it to clear your mind and calm your instincts so that they can be sharp - Because like must know you, you must know him. For he is not Malcolm."

The idea of the pasty red haired man dancing was comical. Doe just let out a soft chuckle. It was the sort of throaty chuckle that seemed to speak to amusement. She shook her head. ”I think you are right, no one is quite ready for that.” She had not thought she was ready for it honestly. Looking at him for a moment she shook her head. ”No they are definitely not ready for it.” It was not as though she had really thought about what that might look like, nor did she want to. She sighed for a moment. It had been such a long time since she had a moment of peace. One where she was not tormented by her own thoughts, and now, they had been amplified. 

When she had first learned she was pregnant with Silas she had been in an accident, a pretty bad one, and it had been one good thing to come from that. The young man who had hit her had not been in good shape but they had both survived. Except her mustang, that had not survived. However, she had those nagging doubts then… like maybe she was not supposed to be a mother, or she would be a terrible one and mess her kids up. That thought still lingered and came to the forefront of her mind now. Maybe she was a bad mother. Jason had suggested a nanny… She was prone to these bouts of self-doubt. Malcolm had messed with her enough… She sighed.

”His secretary wouldn’t let me see him.” She said. It could have been that he was very busy, but she had never been turned away from his office before. She shrugged. ”I don’t know, there is part of me that believes I am not the sort of wife someone in Jason’s position needs- my family is a mess, I have connections to Malcolm who was a horrible sadist, my brother was convicted of his murder… Though he had not actually died until 2 years ago…” It had been strange the sense of loss she had when he died, it was like relief, but there was still grief… not for him but maybe part of her? 

”I know he is not Malcolm but there are scars that have been left, and even if I rationally know something, it does not always play out that way.” She said as she twisted a small lock of hair. ”I just… What danger is a 17 year old boy? I am a very capable witch, I have never been delicate. He questioned my judgment. My ability to keep our children safe. I am not an idiot. I don’t rush into things foolhardy and niave.” She said. The idea that she would made her angry. She also found herself agitated with the conversation. ”I would never question his judgement like that. Accuse him of something… he was quick to accuse me of leaving, of being a ditzy mother.” 

She could feel her small frame tense. It was always tense, she could like a spring that would let go any moment now and ricochet around the room. She tried not to give into that particular urge. It would result in mess, and not just physical. ”I know he is not Malcolm.” She said though the argument was similar to ones she and Malcolm had. Where he attacked her core. The values she had always held. She had left the home true enough, but she didn’t know how she could stay there. He walked away, he told her to leave. He didn’t want her to stay. ”He told me to go.” That had been the harshest thing he had said. ”Firearms?” she asked him. She couldn’t remember if he liked those or not.

It was quite fine that no one wanted to see that, because quite honestly? He didn't want to see that himself. What if someone actually recorded it? Memories eventually die out but physical evidence can often last decades, eons, immortal embarrassment. No thank you, Dylan will skip out on that kind of thing occurring for him. He had the moves of a limp rabbit anyways, not much grace what so ever. 

"He is more than his job and position. People may not see it and many may try to target your family for it - No, not may, they will." He wasn't going to mince words, that was never his style. It was a blunt truth that things wouldn't have been easy. "You married him because you loved him, but remember what I had said before? It takes a strong man to equal a strong woman. The fight he's going into he's most likely prepared to go up against. What he needs is the wife that throws as hard as she gets." That was also a fact he believed in. The man stepped up to fight in a ring that everything will be rolled up and he had to have already realized and said to himself that the fight was worth it, that he had faith in his family. 

" I agree." Dylan's voice eased out to try and reach the woman, to move passed he irritation that most likely was building. As she commented what could a Seventeen year old boy could do his gaze turned away from her. He was. . . Much younger and had seen acts committed by those of that age and much Younger in the name of 'Him'. That was more a sore spot but he pushed it aside. The words she held were something she needed to air out and not be shot down, not to be criticized or coddled like some babe. "That would be quite the trigger to make someone angry, to be criticized in such a manner without proper provocation." What was the game he was playing at. . .? The Irishman wanted her to be at a point where she could unlatch that rage to able to use that as a conduit and unload the entire frustration. 

"And so you left, without fighting harder?" That meant that the hit was so hard to the woman that she perhaps lost the will to fight further on against the man she had called her husband. At her question of firearms he nodded as he pulled out a small wooden case from under one of the wall hangings. All pistol varieties, heavy power was never his concern but a precise and reliable weapon. Steps were taken towards the edge of the wall as he pulled a small bit of the false wall to reveal a makeshift target range. He had to make do with what he had at times and he just enjoyed the grunge look of it. 

"Do you love him still?" This was more of a legitimate question as he aimed for the heart of the matter. "There are many things that are brought up against us that can strike deep into us. The question becomes, is it forgivable, is what you have worth the fight for, Doe? You're a fierce woman, no one takes you down without a fight, a proper fight. Not anymore. You're scarred inside and out, but each scar is not a defeat. That's perseverance. You survived Malcolm, you survived the mess that the Karras family had given to you and your loved ones. But . . . Don't lose sight of what you gained. " 

This was a fight of attrition against her rage, that mountain that always had surged but it was comingled with that sadness, sorrow, the doubt. He pulled at the makehsift wall once more to reveal a second spot as he grasped for a Glock that had been situated in a cushion made for it leaving still quite a few pistols left to choose as he pulled on some googles that hung at the edge of a railing that were charmed to reduce the sound of gunfire from injuring the eardrums at close range. "I am not good at relationships, Doe, I don't know much of them so the best I can ever do is tell you bluntly. . . That you need to release that pent up anger and hurt inside of you in a very aggressive way. " Both hands coupled around the handle and a single finger looped on the inside and against the trigger as he started to line up the sights to the target before himself. 

"Forgiveness. . . Is never instant. If you still love him, if after this, you still feel you can trust him still at least to -start- rebuilding that forgiveness in him? Then go to where you need to go, take the time you need and return home. But make sure that he knows you just need time to think so that he doesn't do anything too foolish in loss. Then. . . When you're collected? When you have all your bearings and are ready to fight? Show them what it means to go against one whose 'descendant of the Gods from Olympus.'." A confident smirk played on his lips, confidence in her.

What if she was not strong enough?  That had not been something she had not thought about herself before.  With Malcolm she knew where it was coming from, it had been ugly with him.  She had felt like such a failure with Malcolm.  This was the first time in the entire relationship she felt as though she had failed her husband in some way.  The way he looked at her, the clear disappointment in his eyes.  She shook her head for a moment.  ”I know this, I know it very well, before now he has never been just his job to me.  The truth is I feel so incredibly selfish, when I know he is working to the greater good and I am demanding he be home with me and his family.  I feel like his mistress most of the time now.  When he can sneak away from his wife…”  She sighed heavily.  It was not pleasant feeling. 

”It was just unlike him.”  she said of the way Jason had reacted.  It was not like him.  It was strange.  Maybe the stress he felt was much greater than it had been before… well it was that was for sure.  She sighed.  The stress she felt was making her sick to her stomach and she wished she felt better.  She wished that things were just different right now, she didn’t know how she was going to change anything but she did know she needed a little bit of space from her husband.   She looked at him as he asked her about the fighting. 

”I don’t have it in me to fight with him right now.  Not without setting the house on fire with my anger.”  She said sighing.  ”That and what little I do have right now have to go to the kids… it is not because I don’t want to fight for it and for him…”  She was just so tied.  It was becoming impossible to handle everything on her own.  The last straw had been not being allowed to see her husband when she had gone into the office.  She let out a small sigh. 

Her expression turned to confusion.  ”Of course I do.”  She said as though it was a silly question.  She had never stopped loving him, it was was more than that.  Loving him had gotten painful… She new she had to eventually come back and decide if this was the fight she would get in the ring for or if she would simply walk away.  It was nearly impossible sometimes.  ”It hurts to love him the way I do.”  She said with a small sigh.  It did hurt to love him like she did.  At least it hurt right now.  The way he thrown those things at her.   

”The gods on Olympus are not awake at the moment.”  She said as she turned to the target with the selected fire arm, the brushed metal cool in her hand.  ”I have to think of the kids, they have to be my first priority always.”  She knew at this point. 

"Different environments breed different views." He had considered his words in thought and leaned a shoulder against the wall. "You may feel selfish but it's from your need to want a normal family. I don't think that's selfish in of itself, after all, everyone wants something just a bit normal. Even more when that normality is rare or even partially non existent." Being apart of her family line didn't end there, what could potentially be the destruction of the normalcy of life but being a Minister explodes that entirely. No Minister ever truly has a 'normal' life for what they will deal with and many people would suffer before they benefit. "But, sometimes, compromise is necessary on both parts. I have no idea how bad it feels to be 'the other person'." Chances are he was someone's 'Other person' only for a bit of  a bedroom tussle, meaningless, just to get the energy out. "Communication does get difficult when one isn't around or able to do it actively enough but find that path is still pretty vital, I would think anyways.

An eyebrow arched upwards at her response. "In very severe and intense situations, we rarely act like ourselves." In current mind, Doe hadn't exactly been herself not what she often projected. The truth was always much deeper in that they just weren't their 'Stressed' selves as often as they were the ones who put up the wall and endured. No one ever wanted to believe that the broken wall was the person they knew or that bubbling intensity could even be released by them when it came to anger or being overworked. "So you wanted to set my house on fire instead? I feel special." He offered a soft smile as his tone had been filled with a joking tone behind them to help ease her a bit more. As she went on to speak about the need to give what she could for her children he drew to a soft silence just to listen. Kids. . . The man knew nothing of the little buttons of joy himself and couldn't offer much insight on what was actually good for them or not. 

"Then, Doe, take the time to really search out everything within you about how you want to proceed. Right now your hurt deeply, there is much you're tossing away because of the pain he's inflicted." He grasped the handle of his firearm tightly before he'd aim it towards the target before himself once more. "Sometimes the Gods need rest, other times, they must stand up take up their appointed Godhood." It wasn't abnormal for the mythologies to state that those of a higher design often rested to gather their strength, sometimes for eons before they'd stir once more. "Priority, if the Father is still a good father, that is a priority. At times we say and do things that hurt others more than we actually think they do in the heat of the moment. It's only after, when the cloud settles, when the bullets are fire. . . That we see the wounds left behind by them. Regret sets in and there is nothing more you want than to take them back." His finger brushed along the trigger to fire a single bullet, as it ejected from the barrel of the gun the point of it pierced into the upper left region of the dummy. "But does that mean the person is beyond redemption? Could not earn their favor back and make amends?"

”There is not a compromise.”  She said rather bleakly.  There never had been.  When it came to his work- there was never a moment in which he put her first over the benefit of the greater good.  When work called him in he went.  Doe had a habit of picking men who could never put her first, Malcolm and he desire for power, Lucas and quidditch and now Jason and his job.  She wondered if those was one of those lasting impressions Atlas had left on her. He had not put any of his relationships first, he had been gone all the time.  He was just this looming figure in childhood, one that didn’t really care about what she was doing.   Jason was not her father but there were elements they had in common.  The dynamic patriarch, busy… she sighed.  ”There has never been a compromise, how can I compete with his career when his career keeps others safe?”  

Doe also knew she was not worth that.  She also didn’t want Jason to grow to resent her.  ”I am less likely to cause a mess for someone else to handle.  So your home seemed safer.”  She said flatly.  Doe did her best to control her anger and rage but it did not always pan out the way she had hoped it would.  However, she had been much better at controlling herself when others were around.  She also knew this was not a conversation to have near her children.  Not until she knew what she would end up doing.  She wet her lips and pressed them together for a moment.   

”I am not throwing anything away.”  She had not made that choice just yet.  She had just wanted space.  She set the gun down and looked at him.  ”I think I should go.”  She said with a small sigh.  ”Thank you for listening.”  she gently squeezed his arm.  ”the kids and I have to b up early for the trip, and its hard enough to get them anywhere with a full 8 hours of sleep.” 

There was still a lot on the woman's mind and he knew that a single night wouldn't get rid of every bit of pain and the questions the burrowed deep within her mind. But at least he could provide a haven for her so that she wouldn't be out alone, that she had somewhere to just think and get what she needed out into the open air without offending anyone or demeaning the father of her children. A woman who took the precaution to make sure her affairs were in order before focusing on her own needs, and every person, held a need that needed to be nurtured one way or another. "Because as much as he has a duty and responsibility to the entire Wizarding community? He chose, to be a Husband, stepped up to the role of being a Father. You know as well as I do many shirk these duties and his choice to stay means that he must also use the same dedication to his family. This isn't a black or white situation, it isn't even grey. It just is what it is." The truth of the matter was no one told anyone to 'Go out and get a family', decisions and things occurred and in many situations the time to book-it and leave had long passed in his opinion. There comes a time a person must step up to being an adult and manage every responsibility on their plate with equal measure no matter how large or exhausting it could be. 

"Well, my home will always be your home, Doe. Whenever you or your kin need it, it's there. Don't mind too much about things that maybe broken in the process I tend to be handy with my hands these days and more often than not need a project to keep busy anyways." Since he had decided to take things just a bit easier compared to the last few years he found he had much more time and energy than he actually knew what to do with. Having people around? That would be something exciting to have if just to make the house a bit more lived in than it seemed. 

"Safe travels then, if you need anything - you just let me know." As she squeezed his arm he gave a gentle one armed hug around her shoulder. "Make sure you take them somewhere fun when you get there, for them and yourself. Enjoy the different environment." Dylan pulled away gently and offered a small yet warm smiled for her. "I do plan to stay and lay roots in the area, planting my feet as it were. So, you'll always have a friend here who will be by your side and help to try and kick you into gear."