pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Derrick Ackers

Even Teacher's Need to Hide

Professor Head of Spencer ☆ Professor of Elemental Magic, Head of Spencer✩ Kaitore
27 year old Halfblood Human ☆ HE/HIM

It had been sometime since he had found himself in this little part of Tallygarunga as a smile is beamed onto his face while he sat back on a bench. He hadn't been within any formal teaching attire which left him to be just another fool trying to escape the wrath of someone, probably Audrey. His eyes shifted left to right conspiratorially as if he were up to no good which was a pretty good chance if anyone knew of the man dubbed as 'Sparky', unfortunately for him that wasn't something he could risk even hiding in secret like this. The situation with the Auror's still wasn't solved and a sudden spark of a fire just for the sake of S'mores wasn't worth alerting and then getting a long speech. Besides, legitimate safety reasons for the other students required that the Auror's not be sent on a 'Boy cries wolf!' scenario.  

Derrick hated having to act like an adult in a lot of cases but it was a necessary 'evil' as he would put it. This was a moment where he could be a bit more relaxed and less uptight about what he was doing or seen doing as a bag of marshmallow's settled on his lap cracked wide open. His hand dug into it shamelessly as he took one of the soft cylinder puff in between two of his fingers and tossed it up into the air. Head angled upwards with mouth agape trying to follow the trajectory as it tumbled through the air and struck him at the tip of his nose before rolling forward into his mouth where he closed his lips smoothly and started to chew on it. 

"Still counts, I don't care." A self remark as he chuckled and leaned back and processed a sigh of relaxation and ease letting his eyes trace around the area. There didn't seem to anyone for the most part though whether there was or wasn't held no consequence for him. His hand fished inside of the clear package once more as he leaned back and pressed another marshmallow into his mouth conservatively gnawing at it just enjoying the calmness that the area seemed to drum up. 

• Like 2

Repository ☆ Fourth Year Cait
Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Teddy was in a good mood, for once.

They came rarely, but this morning had been worthy of one. Her social worker had written her and let her know that they had a tentative placement for her for the summer. It wasn’t exactly the best news in the world—foster carers were pretty much guaranteed to be ponces—but in lieu of group care or a juvenile detention facility—the only two options when foster homes got overbooked—almost any placement was a blessing. At minimum, single-family placements were easy enough to bail out of if the caretakers sucked. Way easier than juvi.

In celebration of her good mood, she tugged on some jeans and a pseudo Nike t-shirt with the words Just do it… Later stamped across the front in bold print,  shoved a paperback into one of the pockets of her jeans, and then climbed up the stairs to the west wall.

She was looking for a place to sit and read her book when her eyes caught sight of Professor Ackers instead. She didn’t actually mind him, which was as close to a positive assessment as Teddy had of anyone. Still, her brows furrowed when she saw the marshmallows that he was carelessly tossing overhead and trying to catch in his mouth. And when he half-failed, the mallow hitting his nose before stumbling into his mouth, she couldn’t help herself.

”Weeeak.” Teddy’s arms crossed over her chest. ”I’ve seen firsties with better reflexes.”

Professor Head of Spencer ☆ Professor of Elemental Magic, Head of Spencer✩ Kaitore

A voice pierced through the air and he was caught mid jaw opened while slowly aligning his gaze towards Teddy, the newly arrival on scene. If there were a meter of shame within him he'd try to cover up this unprofessional infraction, yet, that wasn't how he rolled and he didn't need to really play it that way. "Hey, hey, everyone is allowed a few missed shots! Sometimes you have to get used to the difference of hoops and rims and. . . OH! Yea, no, the wind was against me. Yea." Eyes narrowed slightly as if he tried to give a viable excuse towards the miss. The entire time a smirk pressed on his face a sign that he certainly didn't believe an ounce of the words spoken on why he had missed, he was just trying to have fun with it. 

"Oh, yea? Think you have the talent to step up in this league?" The edges of his finger tips grasped the bag right at the edges of its pried open plastic, dangling it into the air as it made that slight annoying crinkling sound due to the momentum of the swing. "Are you game?" An eyebrow arched upwards in curiosity if she'd truly take up that challenge or not. Whether she did or didn't wouldn't stop him from placing it back on the bench next to him as he slid over slightly to make some room. Hand pushed into the bag as he pulled out another singular marshmallow and rolled it about lightly through his fingers. 

Then proceeded to lean back to toss it towards the air with his mouth wide open and angled upwards which in a matter of seconds the unfortunate sweet was caught within his hungry maw. (Not really hungry.) Chewing it up quickly and swallowing his eyes lowered to settle on the young teen. "So, what brings you out this way? Decided to slip away from the rest of the student body?"

Teddy rolled her eyes when he said that everyone was allowed a few missed shots to get used to differences in rims. She said, ”Yeah. Blame it on changing rims, like your maw hasn’t been the same size since you were my age. If anything, your target should be getting bigger as you get more… senior.”

Ackers really was an okay sort—not constantly on her case about treating him with deference just because he was old-ish. When he offered her the bag of marshmallows, she offered him a smirk that rivaled the one he’d been wearing. You didn’t spend two summers on the streaks without superior reflexes and an ability to ensure that every scrap of food wound up precisely where it was supposed to go. She dug her hand into the bag, grabbing a fistful of marshmallows while well aware that he’d probably only been offering her one, and tossed two of them high into the air. Tipping her head back, she caught one in her mouth, swallowed it with the speed and grace of a snake, and caught the second one. Mouth still full of marshmallow, she grinned and gave a dramatic bow.

Teddy sat cross-legged with her back against the wall, her face towards her professor. She shrugged when he asked if she’d been trying to slip away from the student body.

”Not sure if you’ve noticed, teach, but they’ve mostly learned to leave me alone by now anyway.” She stuffed another marshmallow into her mouth, and then wiggled a bit so she could pull her battered copy of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle out of her pocket, waving it a bit in the air. ”Not my usual caliber of reading material—main character is an idiot to start out—but she gets her shit together by the end, and it turns out to be pretty dece. Better than Romeo and Juliet, anyway. Those two never stop being stupid.”

"Aaah, with magic, nearly anything is possible! For all you know maybe once in my life when I was a little bit, I could have had a small muncher!" Derrick tapped the edges of his mouth with the tip of both of his index fingers on each side, attempting to shrink it down my pushing in a comedic fashion. His hands descended back onto his lap as he crossed his legs, leaning his back fully against the wall while his eyes lifted up towards the sky in thought. 

Personally, he held no issues with any of his students or any of the teacher's for that matter. Life held too many surprises and many of those he watched held heavier burdens than they showed and in most cases, than they truly thought. Something that he could understand and relate towards due towards his own background and yet it was that odd held back connection that kept much of the student body distant from one another. Reasonably so, no one wanted to seem weak or unable to fight for what they needed to do. 

Vulnerability - A Hard shield to wield. 

His eyes never left from the marshmallow as Teddy tossed it towards the air and caught them with a showboating personality. That was something he could get behind, nothing wrong with giving a bit of a show! Both of his hands collided together in an applause that held an approving nod that accompanied along with his own show. "Yes, yes, bravo!" A hand breaks away from clapping and circles about in a showman's way. "You have some talent, may have a career in this marsh-ket league. Of course, not many play. . . And really. . . It's not a recognized sport yet. . . But I'll get it there!

Derrick snicker while shifting his position to lean his shoulder against the wall. "It might be due to that grumpy look you sport sometimes. But something tells me some days you intentionally rock that expression." He wasn't one to slap down how people protected themselves, there were reasons, but it was part of his job and desire to see the Students grow beyond that and know when it's fine and when it's shields-up time. "Ha! Yea, well, Romeo and Juliet was to be a warning of where youthful transgressions can lead. Sure, a little love story, but I think it's pointing towards almost anything that someone young and brash can get into."

Romance, it was just easier to understand that more lives were destroyed when done so carelessly, so self serving. "But, ya know, you can stand to start making some more friends. I know, I know, 'I don't need them.'. But they can be pretty good to have! Be surprised on the kinds of friends you'd end up getting. Almost all of mines are odd ba- Okay, no, scratch. -ALL- of them are oddballs but in their own unique way."

• Like 1

Teddy rolled her eyes when Ackers said that he once could have had a small mouth. She said, ”I have a feeling your big mouth is all you.”

Not that she was one to talk. In both the literal and the figurative sense, she could be said to have a large mouth. Literally, it was rather wide, though thin-lipped. Figuratively… well, she never did know when to keep her mouth shut about things.

Even as he was applauding her show, she was sticking one of the nicked marshmallows into her pocket…. for safekeeping, in case she needed it later. No one but Teddy knew about the ever-expanding stash of food in the bottom of her trunk. Half of it ended up getting thrown out, quickly replaced by something else—magic had its benefits, but nothing could keep food fresh forever. At least, no spell she’d found.

Teddy scowled when Derrick used the word grumpy. His inference—that she did it on purpose—was a little too accurate, and had her bristling. She lifted her chin, the sharp, angular end jutting towards him, and said, ”What, just ‘cause I’m a girl, I should be all smiles and sunshine? Guys never get shit for the same. They get words like mysterious and serious and brooding. All very romantic. And women are told they’re grumpy or—if they’re not talking to their professors—bitchy. It’s a shitty double-standard and I refuse to buy into it. My expression is no one’s business but my own.”

None of which was even close to the reason the perpetual scowl was on her face. It sounded good, though. Guys tended not to argue too hard when feminism was brought up—at least, guys who weren’t total jerks tended not to—which made it a fairly safe way to get them to back off when they were hitting too close to home.

Ackers’ assessment of Romeo and Juliet had Teddy rolling her eyes. ”It’s just a scary story for parents to tell their children about why they should always obey without question—like the boogeyman. We’re old, so we know better, and you’re young and likely to be an idiot. I mean, Juliet was probably, what… my age, given the time period it was supposed to take place in? I know enough not to get myself killed. But that doesn’t mean they were wrong in going against their parents’ stupid feud. They just should have done it differently. And maybe not for love, which—let’s be real—at fourteen, and after one night of dancing, was actually lust and sooo not worth the trouble.”

Teddy scowled when Ackers said that she could make some new friends. She said, ”I don’t need friends,” the words inadvertently coming out at the same time that he said the same. She blushed, turning away for a moment. She hated being predictable.

All of mine are oddballs? she echoed, popping the last marshmallow from her hand into her mouth. Not your most compelling argument. Anyway, people you like… or whatever… they just disappoint you. So why bother with that? I mean, like Romeo and Juliet—what we were talking about earlier? Romeo shacked up with whats-his-snot’s rival and the dude died because of it. The chick who helped Juliet escape probably got sacked without reference and had to work at a whore-house the rest of her life. And I’m pretty sure friars are religious, which meant he probably had to self-flagellate after inadvertently helping those two idiots off themselves. Friendship didn’t get them anywhere good.”

"Big mouth is a part of it but my crazy antics are on a whole different level!" Derrick gave a fond sigh as if he were remembering some of his greatest 'achievements' as a troublemaker. At the end of the day he was still his House sake even as an adult, still a Spencer, which was perhaps ironic given the other teaching staff that wore the color green. It took the unpredictable sort to contend with the unreadable nature of youth growing in this day and age. "Besides, people with the largest mouths tend to let certain feelings well known without any hesitation." Like wise, they often kept tight-lipped about the things that ate at their very core. 

He didn't notice her slipping the marshmallow, though, he also wouldn't have stopped her. People did what they needed to insure their own survival, after all. 

A grin twisted on to the man face almost as if he now held Teddy's 'card' of sorts. "Oho~? Did I hit the nail on the head a bit too well? Honestly, no, it has nothing to do with your gender that I said it. If you must know anything about me is that I don't conform to any norm, any thought that people find is a 'proper' course in society or life." The tip of his fingers press through his hair for a moment as he took a brief moment before responding again. "Taking the moment to laugh helps to ease the build up of tension and the oppression of life's trials. Consider it more of a mmm. . . A Type of medicine, if you will!" There was a method to his madness and while in many cases people considered it 'over the top', he wielded a heavy weight that was beyond the ordinary and constantly in an attempt to take a bite at him. "And if you -really- believed It was no ones business, then you wouldn't go through the troubles of purposefully wearing it." He taps his chin for a moment as he nods. "I'd say you do it as a way of protection for other folks as well as yourself.

There rarely had been things that would cause him to 'halt', Feminism or the idea of it, hadn't been one of them.

"That's certainly one way to view, but take it into the perspective - It wasn't so much about disobedience that led to it but youthful discretion. As a young person you're expected to do things. Every choice is designed by the younger generation for their own steps not only in life but what they will choose to impact or do." He nodded in agreement to her understanding of 'Not stupid enough to be killed'. "Many deaths can happen without being stupid though, wrong place, wrong time. In Romeo and Juliet's case, maybe it was lust? Maybe it was love at first sight? A person is too complicated and complex to make that kind of defined assertation alone. But one thing that is constant is that had they been able to see further ahead, they could have found another way out. " A slight shrug followed through but he decided to agree fully. "But you're right, that young, they wouldn't have a concept of 'Love' not to the full degree without being all out of whack."

Derrick chuckled lightly as he shook his head after their words had echoed one another, he knew being predictable was often a sore point for anyone. No one wanted to be easily 'readable'. "Friendship may have led to it, but they had a choice. Even if it ended up in a bad way I imagine they were happy enough to be there in a persons time of need. But Romeo and Juliet is also intended to be a massive dramatization." He pointed out, it could be a good reference for philosophical thinking after striking down the loud overtones that struck through the literature. "But disappointments come in life, it's just a matter of dealing with it and know that not every disappointment is an intentional slight. Sometimes? They just happen and other times you can be more surprised about the outcome.

"And yea, all of mines are - but are some of the coolest people around. This one Auror friend I have? Lucy? Gal likes a good ice cream fight. And Audrey that assist the Headmaster? The nutty woman enjoys paper ball fights and other antics. But she's sneaky, have to watch out for her pranks."