Sign in to follow this  
Adele DeVylissea

Invite The Ball & Chain

Tally Staff ☆ Tallygarunga Librarian★ Sadrienne
35* year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

Adele was cleaning her house. Aggressively. She'd given up on having a butler years ago, wanting the "normalcy" of a settled married life, just a slightly bigger-than-average house in a nice neighbourhood for herself, husband, and son. Cleaning wasn't really an issue, it was a therapy. As she manually scrubbed the inside of the oven, the physical work released some of the building irritation and anger.

It wasn't David's fault, he just always happened to be there when she needed a punching bag. Adele couldn't even remember what he'd said this morning that had made her scream at him, only that she'd refused to stop screaming until he left the house and gave her some space. He would be back later, apologise---she would apologise, it was her fault. Hormones and the situation with Lei were wrecking her head. Nothing felt safe. What the hell did they think they were doing, bringing another child into this?

Oh, and the baby was another irritation. She could feel it now, kicking. She let it show, and it ruined the silhouette of all her favourite clothes. Some of her clothes didn't even bloody fit now, and even if she carried herself with that same elegance and eerie grace that was common of her family, she still felt like a whale. Caleb was only making things worse too, somehow he'd decided to blame David for Lei's situation, which made no logical sense. Then there was Alex and Cass, who... she had done her best to be calm and polite around, but... underneath she was still angry.

Adele was angry about a lot of things. She hadn't even got around to telling her father the truth about how she had come to be here, just... ducked all questions about his sister. Or anything about her past. He'd escaped with David, the two of them had at least bonded.

She was still mulling through all of the reasons she was disgruntled when she heard a knock at the door. They were back already? David had better have a damn good apology. For... whatever he'd done. Adele stood, wiping grease from the oven across her jeans. 

"Well?" she shouted toward the door. It was unlocked, which was probably stupid... but Adele had always been careless with security when she was the only one in the house. "Are you coming in, or are you going to hide behind that door all day?"

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Junior Dance Instructor★ LilyCat
18 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ She/Her

Cassandra had not been feeling good for some time, and with Caitlin out of the country on some kind of business, she'd begun to feel even worse. It niggled at her, the thought that maybe her aunt knew something that she wasn't telling her. Not that she thought this trip had anything to do with it. Caitlin had made plenty of trips over the years, to various places. Sometimes people needed the help that only such a woman as she could give. It meant she didn't bother visiting the house during the week. It was easier for Alex to stay on the school grounds rather than going back and forth, so Cassandra did as well, but she'd found herself unable to sleep much, waking up with the occasional burning rash along her arm or leg, and simply... feeling gross.

It didn't help that she was certain that Alex was keeping something from her either, which - in her fragile state - was only making her feel more upset. She managed to hide it for the most part, but today was different.

Today... Cassandra just needed someone who she could talk to and cry on and... she had no idea why that had led her to Adele's house. The young woman had stopped out the front of it for a short time, looking at the place, unsure of whether she should be here or not. She wasn't certain where she stood with Adele still, and the  surprise marriage certainly hadn't seemed to have helped. That thought had her playing with the rings on her finger as she stepped up to the door and knocked. She then waited. And then heard a call toward the door, which had her blinking, before she gingerly opened it and stepped inside.

"Uh, hello?" The young woman called in. She had done well to mostly look her usual bright self, but the strain was showing, especially today. Her hair looked limp and slightly dulled, and her eyes didn't appear as bright as they usually were. She stepped through the house to where she thought the voice had come from, "It's just Cass..." She said, before grimacing, No doubt Adele knew that part. She then paused, should she have brought something? Oh shit!

"Uh! I forgot to bring something!" Again, she cringed. That didn't sound weird at all. Not like this was a tea party.

It wasn't the voice she'd expected, and that confused her for a moment. She frowned, padding barefoot across the tiles until she could see down the hallway and to Cass standing in the front door. A frown deepened on her face, much as she tried not to show her annoyance at the whole "surprise marriage" thing, it was one additional stress she really didn't want or need at this time. It wasn't Cass's fault, it wasn't Alex's fault, however she looked at it the situation was her own fault. But Adele didn't let anything like logic stand in the way of being irritated.

"I didn't ask you to bring anything," she said, confused as to why the girl would even say such a thing. Her sharp gaze looked Cassandra up and down as she came in closer, a soft snort flaring out her nostrils. "Married life doesn't suit you," she said dryly. "You look worse than Ruella."

Something definitely didn't feel right about the girl. Adele wasn't sure whether to be worried for her, or suspicious of it. Although the lack of life in the girl mirrored what Améa had gone through, she was at least sure that it wasn't something Alex was doing. So then... why? 

Making her way to the sink to wash her hands, she set the kettle to boil with a nod in its direction---and a chair pulled itself out from the dining table for Cass. This was uncomfortable, but clearly the girl had come here for something. She seemed... more than drained. Actually upset. Not a good combination. 

"Sit," she said, sliding two mugs onto the counter. "Talk. I assume you have come here to do so?"

Because what was the point of being delicate about it?

"I know you didn't, I just mean... you know, visiting unannounced... figure I should have..." Cassandra trailed off, her usual confidence having waned a great deal recently. The comment of how married life apparently seemed to have treated her cause the young redhead to appear hurt for a brief moment, before rubbing her arm as she followed the other woman into the kitchen and dining, and glanced at the chair that moved out.

"Right..." The redhead moved, taking a seat and leaning forward on the table with her forearms as she stared at it a moment, before then looking at Adele. "I..." Where did she even begin? "I know you don't really like me, I'm not sure why outside of me looking like... you know," She had seen Bethianna, and though she didn't resemble her exactly, there was an uncanny similarity that even creeped Cass out. "I just... needed... need..." She swallowed and tried to remain calm, shaking her head a little, "Sorry, I'm just. I don't have anyone else. Cate's not here, and she's keeping something from me... and Alex is keeping something from me too." She bit her lip as she looked to Adele.

"You're like the closest thing I have to any other family anywhere. I don't know what's happening to me and... do you ever just feel like you're the only person who doesn't even know what's going on with your own life, while other people do, and won't tell you?"

Adele stopped with one arm raised to open a cupboard, intending to retrieve mugs to make coffee or tea or something vaguely normal. What was the protocol for visits from surprise in-laws? It definitely wasn't this conversation. Slowly, she lowered the arm, turned to face Cass, and blinked in that very expressionless and curious way that seemed to be a habit of the blue eyed freaks.

This girl was so desperate for family, she was reaching this far? Adele didn't even know what to do with that. Suddenly she felt responsible for helping Cass make sense of her life, and when she couldn't make sense of her own life that was a heck of an undertaking. 

"Yes," she said, finally turning back to the cupboard to get the mugs. "I felt that most days of my life."

Though she said it with a sense of cool detachment, it was true enough. So many of the finer details of who she was, how she came to be, all of that had been obscured from her. Even the existence of her own brother and father. Adele lived now with the expectation that there was some other secret she would discover at an inconvenient time, some deeper truth that was being kept out of her reach.

"I suspect Mother intends to draw the truth out across my lifetime, if she intends to tell it at all," she added. "Tea? Coffee?" David had kindly asked that she step back from the coffee herself, as it was supposed to be bad for the baby. He never could seem to grasp the idea that everything would be fine, and so she was on a diet that excluded all of her favourite things. At least... she was when David was home. 

"Whatever Alex is hiding---if he's hiding anything at all---will be paining him to hide it, I imagine. He's not one for secrets," which was unusual in their family. Key evidence that he had not been raised among their kind. "So if he is keeping one, I would have faith that it is with good reason. He will share at the soonest moment he can."

All of this was nothing that Cass didn't already know, Adele wasn't sure why she was even saying it. Perhaps the girl just needed to hear it from someone outside of her own paranoid mind, or maybe she was hoping that Adele would be able to shed light on the nature of the secrets. Still, there were other issues that Adele could address. At least in part.

"I don't not like you," she started---and paused. No, honesty was a better option here. "I'm not particularly fond of you. It's not really your fault, and what is your fault is just as much his too," the drinks finished, she brought them over to the table, sat them down but didn't sit herself. "One day out of nowhere, I find out I have a brother. And that he's sick, probably dying. In fact, if we don't find some solution fast he's guaranteed an early death, which is a fantastic reason to get out and make as many memories as you can--live life fully, absolutely, but perhaps... just perhaps..." Adele paused. She was getting worked up.

"... There were others who wanted to be part of those memories too, before we can't make anymore," she finished softly. "I didn't even know it was something he was considering, how in hell can I protect him when I can be blindsided like that?" Adele frowned. "There's too much we don't know, and yeah--I would have advised against it, at least for the time being. We don't even know how he's likely to react to your blood. What if something had happened over there? What would you have done? Just hoped that Bethianna or Mother were around to fix it?" Adele shrugged, finally sinking onto a chair.

"I'm not ready to lose him yet. And everything about that trip made me feel like he was already good as gone."

"Right... I mean, I don't know everything, but I have met your mum and know there's a lot of things about your family that have to be kept secret. I mean, Alex told me that early on anyway, which is why I've never asked. Anything I do know, he or someone else has told me freely," Cass said quietly, offering a small nod, and then a small huffed chuckle, "Your mum was pretty open about talking in front of me, but then I'm pretty sure I could have been a speck of dust as far as she's concerned." Not that she particularly cared too much. The redhead felt she should be more worried if the older woman did take an interest in her all of a sudden. She was quite happy to be insignificant. "Uh, do you have chocolate?" She then asked, offering a small smile. So sue her, she preferred chocolate to tea or coffee.

"Yeah... I mean, that's how I know he's keeping something from me, it's kind of plain as day to see," A small huffed chuckle escaped Cass as a fond smile tugged at her lips. "Though, after meeting your dad, I can see where he gets his personality from." Now that had been a surprise to see, but the man had been a warm, happy, and welcoming man. And she could envision Alex being very much like him as he got older, he was already pretty much a younger version. She listened as the other woman spoke, however, politely silent while she heard out Adele's concerns and what bothered her.

"I... I know, a lot of people were surprised - and hurt - that it just... happened. And I am sorry that it did cause hurt," Cassandra's voice was soft, the apology genuine as she turned her cup in circles on the tabletop. "We never intended to actually get married there. He had intended to propose... which had surprised me, so much so that I actually fell off my chair in the middle of a restaurant." A small embarrassed smile tugged at her lips, before she then shook her head lightly, "The rest just... is fairly blurred. We got really drunk, and must have just thought that we may as well. Woke up and we were married. But we'd never intended to leave anyone out, and are planning on having a proper ceremony with everyone after... if... you know." The redhead's brow furrowed as she bit her lip. She then cleared her throat before she spoke again.

"But it's... the whole thing with us making the most of what we have. I kind of understand what it's like to not know what could happen tomorrow, or the day after. That's kind of how Alex and I first clicked, is having a shared understanding of knowing any day could be our last," The young woman looked up and across at Adele, and her green eyes showed how haunted she was, that there was a lot more to her own life than what she ever conveyed to others. "My family are all gone, except for me and Cate. Hunted and killed, because of what we are. Or more, just because we're not fully human. My first memory is watching my parents being killed," She admitted quietly, before swallowing, "I lived most my life knowing that I couldn't trust anyone, that my days could be numbered and..." She bit down on her lip again as she looked away, not wanting to get worked up herself.

"I've never fit in anywhere. But, I fit with Alex. And as much as I want to protect him and do what I can to make sure he gets as much as he can out of life, he wants to do the same for me. No one except Cate has ever really cared enough to want to do that for me," Cass shook her head a little, "And you have no idea how worried I was when we were away. Scared that something might happen to him without his family around. He's the one who kept telling me to relax, that it was fine. It was a little infuriating when he did, but... For just a few days it was like our problems, worries, fears were all another world away."

Sign in to follow this