Aiden Longhurst

Invite As Ghosts Fade By

16 year old Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

The last few weeks had been... odd. Aiden couldn't even process what had happened at the Unwedding, it had all been so surreal. Even if he could have explained it, he'd been quite severely warned by Adele not to breathe a word of anything he'd seen until he was explicitly given permission to do so. All that was really known was that Lorelei was... not okay. And his own connection to her? He still hadn't told anyone about that.

Was there a point? She was probably gone forever. He'd lost all the wheels off his wagon now, and he felt lost. Adam and Cass had noticed that things were off, questioned him about it several times---but all Aiden had managed to do was snap and walk away. He just couldn't explain. If he told them he was bummed about Lorelei's situation, they would want to know more. How did he know her? When had he become attached to a child like that? 

He lay on the grass, staring up at the sky. He was dreaming about her too. Lorelei and his mother, but pleasant dreams. He slept well, in spite of his worry and underlying anger. 

Aiden had brought a textbook with him, but he didn't feel like studying. He just... wanted to lie here. And be angry. Or sad. Or both.

Flinders ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Student✩ Shell
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

The summer was over, and fall was swinging in, for which Iris was thankful.  Her skin never did well in the blazing sun, and she wasn't having to constantly lather up the sunscreen to keep from burning.  She could go longer stretches between applications, and it was certainly a relief.  Soon she wouldn't need her hats at all and she could truly enjoy the weather.

Not that she lacked in enjoying it now, as she moved through the centre courtyard.  No, it was lovely out, not that awful, blazing heat that made her want to retreat beneath a fan.  She looked up at the sky as she walked, humming to herself.  She should have known better, to have learned by this point she was a clumsy girl and to pay attention where she was walking to, but she didn't.  She'd not  bothered to check at all.

That was how it happened.  How she had suddenly fallen over, books flying into the air and landing around [and on] her with thuds as she found herself lying in the grass, as well as on top of somebody.  With a groan of pain, she slowly pushed herself up.  Her apology was quickly forgotten as she sat on her legs and looked at the poor thing she'd tripped over.  "Oh hey Aiden!  What are you doing out here?"

Books suddenly rained down like heavy hail, Aiden barely had time to shield his face before they thudded on and around him---and Iris too. He gasped as she knocked the air out of his lungs, hoping that wasn't a rib he heard cracking. It probably wasn't, right? He didn't feel any immediate pain, just... winded. Aiden took a few moments to get his breath back, squinting at Iris as she sat back into a less close, more comfortable range of view.

"Um. Not much?" he wheezed. You couldn't be mad at Iris. Iris inhabited her own little world, one that always struck Aiden as far more interesting than the one he lived in. She always had big ideas, creative ideas. And perhaps she didn't follow through on all (or any? He wasn't sure) of those ideas, but she chased them. Even if it was for a limited time. They had been in the same first year class, and he'd come to enjoy hearing what had caught Iris's imagination this week.

"Thinking about... things. Mostly." Aiden shrugged, sitting up now that he could breathe properly. "What're you up to?" 

Aiden looked around at the books that had scattered on the ground. He tried, out of curiosity, to look at the titles. School books? Fiction? No, he was prying. He shouldn't do that. But you could tell so much about a person by what they read! Aiden forced himself to look away.

"You okay, though?" Aiden tilted his head, appraising her with a light frown. "You took a pretty hard fall there."

"Um.  Not much?" he wheezed.

Well, that was never a good sign.  She bit her lip as she stared at him, trying to collect her books so they at least were laying on the grass instead of....his body.  That would help, right?  It certainly wasn't going to be the opposite.  The boy wasn't her bedroom floor after all, or her desk, or bed, or....any inanimate surface at home that she often dropped, tossed, or otherwise left her things upon.

She smiled as his voice started to sound more normal and he sat up, and she clapped her hands together excitedly.  "Ooh, thinking!  I love thinking.  Are they fantastic things or homework things or future things or...."  She let herself trail off.  "things" had a million and one different categories and she could have spent hours listing them all off.  She was aware of that, and she thought it better to give him a chance.  He quickly distracted her away from that thought, however.  "Oh, just going for a walk, enjoying the fall.  I was thinking how nice it would be once I didn't need to wear a hat anymore!  Not that I don't love hats, they're pretty cute, but it gets tiring doing it every day."

He asked if she was okay and her hands pressed over her heart as she smiled, then laid a hand upon his arm.  "Oh, I'm fine.  I do this a lot.  But thank you!  Are you okay?  I don't imagine you have books raining on you all the time."

Aiden couldn't help the grin as Iris's enthusiasm caught her in a wave of possible "things". Iris said basically whatever came through her mind, and that was a freedom that Aiden and all his over-thinking didn't have. His irritation at life in general eased, it was difficult to stay grouchy around someone so effortlessly upbeat. As Iris began to pick up the books, he followed suit, stacking them into a pile for easy collection.

"I like the hats!" Aiden reached up, batting gently at the brim of the hat she was wearing. "But yeah, I get it---best part of the weekend is not having to wear a tie," Aiden grabbed the bottom of his school tie, yanking it upward like a noose and making a face. With the books packed up, he gestured for her to sit on the grass with him if she chose. The sun was warm, but not burning, and a light breeze kept the air moving just enough to be refreshing. 

"You'd be surprised, actually," he said. "Have a bad habit of making the book piles too high, and they fall on me when I'm sleeping." It happened more often than he wanted to admit, and he'd gone to classes with black eyes from the bookslide. 

"It's been a weird year," Aiden frowned. "Next year it's ten years since Mum... and I dunno. Been thinking about Dad. Matt. Now Lei's... I don't even know what she is. It's like there's some sort of bad luck curse on me, bad things happen. All the time."

He was smiling.  That was always a good sign, and she'd take it!  She smiled at him with a small "Thank you,"as he helped her gather all the books.  She gave a small giggle as he bat at the brim of her hand, causing it to move slightly more forward.  Her hands reached up, adjusting it back.  She giggled as he made a face and a grabbed his tie, acting like he was hanging himself with it.  Reaching over, the small blonde placed a hand on his arm.  "But it looks so good on you!" She hoped the words would be some small comfort.

She made herself comfortable on the grass, giving a small wiggle as she crossed her legs, hands grabbing her feet as she did so.  A softer smile made its way to her face as another giggle erupted as he explained his mishaps with books.  "Aha!  Must be a Flinders thing, then!"  She could only imagine what it must be like to wake up with books on top, underneath, and on every side of you.  It was a funny image, that much was certain.  "That must be so uncomfortable though!  Does it ever wake you up?  Or is it just waking up in the morning and turning and going THAT'S WHY MY BACK HURTS!  ?"

Iris listened, a frown and a look of concern worming their way onto her face, erasing the bright, sunny smiles she'd previously held.  "...Oh."  Those..weren't good things to be thinking about at all.  It sounded like a lot of pain.  A lot of confusion.  Something about his mom, and Matt, it sounded very vaguely familiar.  Like there was some story she'd heard, or heard around, before, but she couldn't dredge it up.  She didn't have the memory for those sorts of things.  Lei was a new name.  Wait no.  She'd heard that somewhere too--very recently.  Where....?

She shook her head slightly.  No use.  Things that weren't frequent simply didn't stick for her.  Instead she reached over, wrapping her arms around Aiden.  He looked like he really needed a hug to her.  "I don't think you're cursed.  I think...bad things happen to everyone.  But.... also that if a lot of very bad stuff is happening to you, maybe it's... for some kind of reason, you know?  Like...preparing you, and keeping you humble.  They say the best people have the worst troubles.  Maybe there will be someone who needs you, but like... you aren't in a place where you can handle that yet.  So you gotta work to get there."

• No Comment 1