Mary Ohara

Class Cheery Charms (March 5th '18)

Repository ☆ Charms ProfessorRavioli
29 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

Mary dropped Frank the Keychain on her desk to get everyone’s attention. Uncharacteristically, Frank didn’t make a peep.

“Okay guys, is everyone here?” Mary pulled her hair away from her face as she checked for the usual faces, “Because you’ll be happy you are.“ A smug little smile pulled on her lips as she made the silly pun, and she had to bite down for a moment so she wouldn’t laugh. “We’re actually doing a great one today, especially if you any of you are stressed out with the end of the term workload. so today we’re gonna learn cheering charms. One cheering charm - a very simple one - but I brought a complete book on them -“ Mary tapped the book on her desk, “In case you guys become fans. You know how it works, just ask and come pick it up if you want to have a look.” 

Her hand searched for Frank on the desk as she sent an encouraging smile around, and once her forefinger was safely wrapped in the keychain ribbon she picked Frank up and showed it to the class. Frank was a very unhappy shrunken head that day, and the only reason it wasn’t more apparent was because Mary had carefully shut his mouth closed with spello-tape. “You can try the spell on the person next to you, but what I really want us to do today is to try it on Frank here. You know how properly moody he is, so it should be a nice challenge to try and make him cheerful, right?”

“So,” Mary waved her wand towards the chalkboard with the other hand, and the word contentos was slowly written behind her. It was a nice trick she had learned before coming to teach at Tallygarunga, and pretty much the only bit of nonverbal magic she could do. “You have the spell there, and I’m sure you want to try it. But before you pair up and I start passing dear Frank here around, I want to know -” her eyes landed randomly on a student and she asked, “What do you think this spell does? How do you feel about it?”

Repository ☆ Fifth Year Dunkle
16 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

For once, she wasn't late. She had managed to get to charms on time, and not get lost. Maybe she was finally finding her way around campus. Hopefully she could keep her hed down. Hine had pulled up a chair in the middle row, near the edge of the class to avoid this very thing. She just wanted to fly under the radar for a little while, get up to speed. But sure enough, here comes the attention of a Professor.

Her Kiwi accent shone as she spoke. "Contentos. Developed in the 1400's by Felix Summerbee in Western Europe, is one of the original cheering charms, eh? When cast it causes the target to become choice as." There was a pause. "Uh, like happy, hey? But if you push it to hard they get all munted, can can't stop laughing. But countercharm for it aint hard bro."

Mary squinted her eyes a little bit and didn't hide a smile. She wasn't really after the history of the charm. These kids had plenty of other classes where they needed to worry about that kind of thing, and it had never felt like the most interesting way to tackle charms to Mary. However, as Hine answered her question, Mary found herself tilting her head slightly to the side and scratching her nose absent-mindedly as she thought. Well, yes. That might be just a nice way to steer the conversation to where she wanted it to go. "Yeah, that's it." Frank was waved in Hine's direction as Mary continued, "Nice description of the effects too, so that's five points to Sturt! But Hine, why d'you think Mr. Summerbee came up with the spell? Or-" Mary looked around the room, "Someone else, maybe? How useful do you think this charm is?"

She waved her hand, signaling the students to go ahead and answer as she removed the spello-tape from Frank's mouth, who immediately begun shouting the most class-appropriate injuries he could think of. Mary smiled, that was why he was the only of her heads she dared show one of her students. "Ok, so you guys can-" She frowned, finding that she couldn't speak over Frank's shouts, and found a quick solution in throwing him on one of the students' desks. "Pair up now. Please, really, let me know if you start feeling a little too happy, because it's just as Hine put it, and it can get unpleasant really quickly. Meanwhile, give Frank a try and pass it to your left. The first to make him stop complaining wins the class. If anyone gets him to laugh, well, we'll see!" 

Flinders ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Flinders Student✩ Chromatic
2018 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

"There are a couple variations on the same spell with very similar results. The differences lie in the minute wand movements paired with the incantation." Siwan settled down at her desk carefully observing the shrunken head that the teacher had held up. "Erm, the records are unclear, but it was often used to help with what is known as Seasonal Affective Disorder during the winter months, and early in its use, during court performances."

As Frank was passed around, she held her Cherry wand lightly, refamiliarizing herself with the movements that produced the best effect for her. She carefully set Frank on the table in front of her and breathed out and lifted her wand, and with a delicate waggle and a flick upward "exhilaro" There was a lovely glimmer from the tip of her wand as the spell was cast, and she was expectantly waiting or Frank to speak. 

Bourke ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Tyson had sat in the second row as the answers were already given by two other students, fingers pressed against the table as he considered what would be fair enough answers to the question. Eyes never leaving from the shrunken head which even with all of its grumpy chattering was all too creepy for the young man's taste of anything. "Asking why is always difficult, never too sure bout that stuff. But I bet it's cause he kept running into grumpy old wizards and witches. Day in and day out dealin' with them? Probably needed to give himself a laugh." He shrugged casually. It probably wasn't the most popular of thoughts or choices but not everything held a scholarly reason behind its creation. "The charm can be pretty useful medically, I mean, folks find themselves depressed and need a bit of laughter to break em' out of that funk." At least, some believed laughter could be a form of medicine.

His eyebrow raised up as Frank finally made his way towards his desk and he gave it a bit of a side glance and somewhat of a mean mug. What even was this head's issue? He started to study him a bit before taking up his own rand and raising it to trace a motion in the air and speak out an incantation to the spell just to see if it'd do anything. He was hoping he didn't target someone else accidentally with that one!

Repository ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentBlackbird
2018 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Naoki panted, sprinting through Tallygarunga. He'd managed to end up on the wrong end of campus on his way to class, and he was very close to being late.

Thankfully, he managed to make it in time, and he stopped before the bell rang. He took a moment to gather himself, running his fingers through his hair to put his hair back into place, and using his handkerchief to pat his face dry. He couldn't exactly walk in looking like that, could he?

As he slid into his seat, the teacher dropped a... something, onto her desk. He tilted his head, squinting dark eyes, before realizing it was a shrunken head. The boy bristled, eyes narrowing. They dare?! Shrunken heads were, while not illegal, taboo where he came from; they were a complete desecration of the dead.

He watched the woman speak with distaste, horrified when he saw the spello-tape keeping its mouth shut. It wasn't long before a student answered the teacher's question that he hadn't realized she'd asked, and the head soon landed on his desk.

"Sorry." he muttered, a disgruntled scowl on his face. He pulled out his wand, performing the movement, before saying the spell, "Contentos."

“Yeah, I always thought that was cheating a bit,” Mary pointed out after Siwan’s words, her smile widening in amusement as Tyson offered an hypothesis of his own. “I like that theory. Let’s say Mr. Summerbee worked in medieval customer service.” The chuckle that came afterward was interrupted by an alarmed gasp, followed by a disapproving look towards the boy who seemed to have forgotten everything she had taught them about security-measures. “So, it’s five points for Flinders and five points for Tyson - if his next spell actually hits Frank and not a fellow student.” She shook her head slightly, taking a moment to look around and check if anyone looked a bit cheerer than usual. Unfortunately, there were a couple of them who were such grumps that Mary would probably still think them grumpy after a weak first-attempt charm, and some of them who were a bit too quirky for her to identify extra-cheerfulness.

Though Mary would be lying if she said she didn’t feel a bit chirpier. it might be that Tyson’s spell hit her, but it might also just be that his momentary lack of aim was a good reason for her to introduce something else. “I suppose you would’ve been more careful and precise if this spell could actually hurt someone?” Mary allowed only for a very quick pause for Tyson to defend himself, because she wasn’t particularly interested in getting an apology. “The thing is, just how innocuous do you think this charm is? I’ll advance that I think a cheering charm can be one of the most dangerous charms out there, if you master it very precisely. Any thoughts on that?” She gave a look around, sending Naomi a smile once she found the shrunken head she was looking for, “Frank?”

Ah! You kids keep trying! I’ve had arms and legs and kids of my own and I wasn’t happy back then, I won’t be happy now!”

Repository ☆ First Year Guest
10 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Ilia jogged from her dormitory down to the Charms classroom, pulling her hair back as she did. Charms was certain to be a hands-on class, so she didn't want to risk having her hair in the way.

She slid into her desk only moments before the teacher came in, and was quick to make notes on what she'd be doing and what the teacher said. To her surprise, they were doing Cheering Charms, and the teacher had a shrunken head prepared.

Ilia stared down at the shrunken head, tongue sticking out as she cast the spell. Her shoulders slumped as nothing happened, not even feeling her Magic react.