Repository ☆ School Nurse✩ Shell
22 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Josie couldn't help the catchy pop tune that was in her head tonight, and she sang it quietly to herself as she made her way into the Drunken Roo.  She'd never spent much time in there, or any bar, but it was her birthday and she was going to celebrate.....somehow!  With it being about seven, it was easier for her to find someone to cover her station for a few hours--classes were done, students were at least half settled, it was unlikely at this hour someone would be popping in unless it involved a stomach ache from dinner.

She looked around, biting her lower lip and releasing it as the smile spread.  She had no idea as to what to really expect.  It didn't look entirely alien to her however.  Had she been in here once during school?  It was possible.  She couldn't decide if it was a yes or no.

She walked up to the bar and sat on a stool and looked around, then after a moment remembered that she probably would need some form of identification.  She pulled out the card and tapped it on the bar as she bobbed her head.  When someone came up she said, "Oh hey there!  Awesome night, right?"

Narragyambie ☆ Doctor/HealerScotteh
45 year old Halfblood Human

Bryan had just finished a shift at Narrie General after a particularly uneventful evening. His week at Narrie was coming to an end, and he'd be back to St. Ringo's for a week. The trip back and forth would mean he would have less time to come into his favorite bar, The Drunken Roo. So, as he did most nights, Bryan left the hospital, and made the all too familiar drive. Bryan was in his button up shirt, tie, and dress slacks, not really feeling like changing out of them like he normally would to go to the Roo. He just wanted a drink, and fast.

Once Bryan arrived, he made his way into the Roo, and immediately toward the bar. When he got there, he told Mish, "The usual beer." as he sat down. That's when a woman spoke to him. He looked at her, surveying her for a moment. "It's always an awesome night at The Roo."

Mish brought him his beer, and said, "Here ya go, Doc." 

Bryan nodded, and took a sip, smacking his lips after it went down. 

"I'm Bryan, by the way." He said to the woman beside him.

• Excited! 1

She watched as the bartender moved around, and nodded when the stranger beside her said it was always an awesome night here.  That's what she had always been told of the place.  "Josie.  Doc?"  She looked around for a moment, taking in the atmosphere.  It really wasn't a bad place.  It was no wonder she heard the staff talk about it so much--some more than others.  

She looked back at the bartender, who glanced at her and she looked over at her stool-mate awkwardly.  "So, Bryan!  What would you suggest for someone who doesn't tend to partake in this particular pasttime?  ....Good Goat that was a mouthful."  She laughed at herself.  Some pretty good alliteration there too, with all those p's.  Made her feel like she swallowed a bug or something.

"I think she's making fun of me because I came in still in scrubs after a surgery one night. Dr. Bryan Hawthorne." He said, chuckling. "I've been Doc to them ever since."  He observed as she looked around. You could tell she ether hadn't been here before, or just hadn't come her quite often. Hell, she looked young. The fact that she was holding her identification care told him that she was, at least, the drinking age. 

Bryan laughed at her a moment. It was, indeed, a mouthful. She had amused herself enough by it too. "Well, honestly, it depends. You can't go wrong with a beer." He noticed Mish shoot a glance over at him. She enjoyed actually utilizing her bartender skills. "However, if you want a cocktail, you have a million choices out there. Me, personally, enjoy lemon-lime and vodka. It's one of those drinks you can just sit and drink slowly, and enjoy it." Bryan said, and then asked, "So, what brings you here tonight?"

Her mouth was left slightly open as he explained the nickname.  A doctor..wow, now that took some real heavy dedication.  "Goat's graces, that's quite the feat.  I couldn't have stayed in school quite that long."  Here was a real serviceman to the world.  She gave him a nod of appreciation.  Her job might have been more personal, hands-on, but she didn't have to deal with things like diagnosis or surgery or anything more mentally difficult or draining.

He laughed and she smiled, listening intently to his advice.  She gave a small nod.  Lemon lime was always an excellent flavor for pretty much anything. "That sounds really good actually!"  She looked down at the bartender and waved, waiting until they neared.  "Hey, can I get a ...."  She glanced back over to Bryan.  "A lemon-lime vodka?"

She smiled when she looked back at him, giving a happy little wiggle where she was in response.  "Well, actually, it's my birthday today!  I thought I'd get out for the night."  Although, despite all her years at Tally, she didn't really know Narrie all that well.  She had mostly kept to the school.  "I got this place on good authority."

Bryan laughed. "I went to medical school in the day and night. Two different medical professions. I work at Narragyambie General, and a place called St. Ringo's. You may or may not have heard of that one." He wasn't quite sure if she was a muggle or not, so he tread carefully. However, this was a fairly magical town. "I love it though. It was definitely my calling in life. Both parents were in the medical field." His father was a muggle doctor, his mother was a healer. Bryan just became both.

As she got the drink he had recommended, Bryan took a drink of his beer. When she told him it was her birthday, he beamed. "Well, happy birthday then!" He said, and looked over to the bartender. "Put her on my tab. Birthday girl shouldn't have to pay." The bartender nodded, and Bryan turned back to Josie. "Well you certainly got good advice for this place. How old are you this evening? I know it's rude to ask a lady, but I'm curious."

She knew St. Ringo's.  Of course she knew it.  Some of her practical assignments had been done through the magical hospital.  In that moment Josie realized she was dealing with another wizard and her smile broadened.  "I know it." she replied.  She still couldn't imagine the dedication of not only becoming a doctor, but doing so in two entirely different ways: magical and muggle.  Double the school.  That...was truly an impressive, exhausting feat.  He had to have loved it.  Either that or he was completely insane. 

He wished her a happy birthday and her eyes closed as she smiled again.  "Why thank you!"  She then opened them, looking at the drink curiously before shrugging, lifting it to her mouth and tilting to try a sip.  It wasn't half bad.  She licked her lips as she stared at the glass, then quickly over to him.  "Oh, no, it's okay really!"  She hadn't expected the generosity.

"Oh uh.." she stammered for a moment.  Right. Birthday.  Age would have been asked, wouldn't it?  "I'm twenty-two actually.  I work down the road."   Down the road being all the way down it, and then some.  "I think you know the place.  That's how I found out about here."

Bryan smiled. She knew of St. Ringo's. This was good, it meant they had something with common ground to communicate with. That, and he wouldn't have to be as secretive to this woman either. Most people he ran into around knew of the wizarding community, but you still had to be somewhat cautious. "Excellent." He said, chuckling. "Then that means that you know how crazy I am in doing both."

When she told him that it was not needed for him to put her on his tab, he just waved it off. "No, I insist. Best to celebrate without any worry." Plus, Bryan had the extra money to spend, so why not? He enjoyed being generous, especially on special events such as this one. 

"Twenty-two." He repeated, nodding and taking a drink. He expected young. He did not expect that young. She was cute though. Very.  When she mentioned she worked down the road, and that's how she found out about the place, he smiled. "I assume you mean the school. I went to Greyheme myselt." He said, beaming. He always had this sense of pride when it came to his school, as many did. He just had not really dealt with many people that went to Greyheme though. He fell out of touch with everyone that had gone, and most of the crowd around here went to Tallygarunga.

"Completely, cosmically nutters." She replied with a nod.  It was bad enough schooling, and working two jobs, but had was on a constant balance between the magical and muggle realms. having to keep them separate under exhaustion and high stress.  That could easily lead to far more mishaps than she wanted to even begin to imagine, she she put it out of mind.  It was incredibly stressful to even fathom.

He insisted, so she let the payment drop.  Not that she'd plan on drinking a whole lot anyway, but... it was sort of nice to think about, in its own way.  One less thing to worry about.  "If you insist..."  Besides, she didn't think she'd be able to convince him out of it.

She took a drink instead of a sip.  It burned a bit, but the lemon lime flavor went so well... she set the glass down pleased.  "This is actually really good.  Thank you!"  She was happy he didn't decide on something that would have her coughing up a lung from the strength or the fire put in it.  She'd heard more than enough tales from others, and had been a little more nervous than she had let on.  

"Yes.  Tallygarunga.  School nurse--well, one of them.  I just started this term."  She agreed, then followed with a short explanation.  Her smile turned somewhat bashful, but was also proud.  She worked at one of the only places she'd been able to call home in her life, and it was a wonderful feeling.  "What was it like at Greyheme?  I don't think I've met anyone from there!  Well...I probably did at the university but.. you know, details get lost."

"To be honest with you..." He said, trying to think of the best way to put it. "It's been a lot longer than I'd quite like to admit that I went there.See, I'm forty-five." He said, a little embarassed at his age, but with a small chuckle. "It was a private school, but it was quite fun from what I can remember. I was so focused on my studies though, really. Played some quidditch. Bryan didn't even really like to play Quidditch, but his father insisted that while his studies were important, so was having somewhat of a social life. "I think I spent more time in Universities than I ever did on any of my other schooling." He took a drink. "Or, so it seemed. However, I love what I do. I love to help people. It's a passion of mine." 

Bryan took another large drink of his drink, and once it was at the last drop, he ordered another. "I spent some time with Wizards Without Borders, helping out in less fortunate counties. Medicine, both ours and theirs, is just something I love and care about and I am rambling on about myself boring you probably." Bryan laughed. "Sorry, I do that sometimes."

"There's nothing wrong with forty-five!" She chimed in.  She listened, not that the'd had a lot to say on the matter.  Private school, yes.  Her own parents, had they been able to afford it, probably would have preferred Josie had gone to Penrose instead, but her heart lie with the Tally, as proven by her current profession.  The moment she could get back, she had.  But she could understand.  Before Chloe, during, and long after, she herself had often been very studious.  Her grades in many classes ranged between poor and average, but it wasn't from a lack of trying.  Then Quidditch, and his university study.  "Woooow." she said, voice quiet and light.  She couldn't imagine spending that much time in uni.  Then again,he did have a medical job in both the muggle and magical realm, she reminded herself.  That required a lot of schooling. 

She took a couple of drinks while he talked, a hand moving to cover her mouth as she leaned slightly forward over the counter as he apologized, waving a hand in the air as she swallowed and blinked.  "No, no it's okay.  I don't imagine you get a lot of time to talk about ... well.  What's not directly happening on the job."  She couldn't say work, because that was definitely the topic on hand.  "It's not boring.  I think all your work is admirable, and you have a lot of dedication.  I couldn't work both sides.  And I never really traveled, I'm just a big homebody."  She laughed at herself over that.  Living at a dorm in Melbourne had been a struggle for her.  Her grandmother's place, and Tally.  Those were home.  They were the only places she was truly comfortable.  She didn't like being away for them, not for very long, anyway.  Narrie was close enough it didn't give her the anxiety.

"So... -ahem- Without Borders.  What is that exactly?"

"I'm a bit weird about my age. Mostly because I don't feel like I'm forty-five." Which was true. His appearance may have been catching up with him, some grey here and there, but his body and mind felt much younger.

"You're completely right." He said, chuckling. "I don't get much time to talk about it unless it's just what's going on directly. Although, most people aren't as interested as you seem to be. Which is nice." He took a drink, and set it back down onto the bar. "I'm a bit of a homebody now too though. Other than work, or here, of course. I don't get out much." Whenever she asked him about the wizards without borders though, he perked up. Now, this was something he had really enjoyed doing. Something that just felt right at the time.

"Okay, so, you know how the, well..." He lowered his voice a bit. "Muggles. He then resumed to his normal voice. "Have Doctors Without Borders. It's the same concept really. We go to areas with conflict zones, or places with diseases, both ours and theirs, and provide medical treatment. We partner with the other side as well in a bit of a joint effort. It was very fulfilling, really."

He took another drink. "So, what is it like being a school nurse?"  

"Do any of us ever feel our age though?"  She knew she didn't.  She still couldn't believe that today she was twenty-two.  Where had the time gone?  She remembered her years, her experiences from childhood, into Tally, and through all of VMU, but she still felt some days like she was only seventeen or eighteen, as if the last five years hadn't happened.  But they had.  The fact that she spent her days wearing a staff uniform instead of her Spencer one had made that much clear.  The looks of utter confusion she got when the words "Space Goats" were brought up.... the time felt so short.  Where for Bryan school felt so long ago, for her it was still like yesterday.  She could recall with clarity afternoons spent on a broomstick with Tamarah Blair, sitting in a common room watching Jezebel.  Of feeling awkward and angry with Viktor because he was right-handed. The early days with Chloe and Rory and the group.  Of days with little Ana and Riley at her side laughing.  Of that cold chill down her spine whenever she saw Leanna.  It was still so clear, and maybe that had to do with the twenty-three year gap she hadn't crossed yet.  She took a long drink at that.  Would it all continue to fly by so fast?  Or would it slow again?  She had no way of knowing.

"People are interesting to me.  And I love the field, I love that... it's something I'm good at, and that I can help someone with it.  A lot of someone's."  It was a position of service, and it was something she enjoyed.  She'd never be some great potions master or magnificent wizard of power, or a quidditch player or someone charismatic.  But she could be her, to the best of her ability, and she could help people in her own way.  Even if it was listening to some groaning while regrowing a broken bone.  She hadn't needed to do that yet.  Strange.

She blinked in surprise.  "They have it too?" She asked in surprise.  Her family was all muggle, but it still wasn't something she really knew anything about.  She shifted on her stool slightly closer as she listened with heightened interest, a look of calm curiosity and awe mixed on her features.  "That....is amazing.  I never knew such a thing existed.  I'm glad it does."  And that people were willing to devote themselves for a time to it.

He asked her about her job and she smiled somewhat bashfully as her head tilted down, then lifted up again with a slight shrug of the shoulder.  "It's...I didn't know what to expect.  I don't think the students are as crazy as they used to be, but we've some... interesting cases.  Can't give the details, but we have one in particular that not only has a prolonged medical history but...tends to.."  She lowered her voice as her lips pressed inward for a moment, thinking.  "Well, sets unwilling fires at random."  Her eyebrows burrowed.  "I don't have much experience and I haven't had to really help with that yet.  No one seems to have any answers for any of his oddities."  She gave another shrug, taking another long drink from her glass and draining it before setting it down.  It was what it was, she supposed.  All the more reason to be glad that the Valentin family was still around.  One was quite familiar with healing, maybe he'd have an idea what to do.

"Most of what I deal with is the results of pranks, mispractice, or... well.  Falling from very high."  Off their broomsticks, of course.  "Or people trying to fake out of class."

"I suppose you're right." Bryan said. He really didn't ever feel his age. "I may be forty-five, but I feel at least thirty." He said, and chuckled. "But, enough of the age silly talk. Just a number, right?"

"It really is an amazing thing." He said about the Wizards Without Borders. "There are so many places out there with no good medical care, and it just warms my heart that I was able to help out with that." Bryan had pretty much devoted his entire life to helping others, but that came with a price. He hadn't really spent the time helping himself. He'd spent his life learning, and never really focused on himself. That could be the depressing part. Perhaps it was why he spent so much time at the bar.

Bryan listened as she spoke about her job, and nodded in appropriate spots. "Unwilling fires at random, eh? That's....concerning. Perhaps some sort of curse? Or perhaps an ability that they don't know about and not properly disciplined with." He said, giving some advice. "It could really be a number of things." He shrugged. "But, I can see where pranks and whatnot could be an issue. Had my fair share in school to deal with myself. Of course, I was usually the one being pranked." He said, chuckling. "I was awfully nerdy."

"Yes.  Just numbers.  Stars don't use them, not sure why we do."  She understood, to a point, why the concept of 'time' was created and used, but in some ways it seemed like life would be so much easier, smoother, if it weren't.  Especially when it came to things like school.  What if a student was measured and taught in regards to how fast they learned and retained, versus on a medium across all boards?  Well, it would be far harder to educate all the mass of magical beings, let alone non-magical, but there was so much that could have come from such individualized progress, all the same.

Josie smiled at her colleague-of-sorts as he beamed over the organization he'd helped out with.  It was always good to know that not everyone did what they did for the money, or out of some sense of necessity, but simply to help.  Especially in their field.  "Maybe someday I'll get involved with that.  If I ever feel like I need a break from the school.  But I don't think that'll happen for some years."  And the period of time during the longer term breaks really didn't seem like it'd be enough to plop herself in some country, get a feel for the language and people, and help before she'd have to be back.

She nodded, listening to his advice as she drank from her glass.  Without more details there wasn't much he could give, not that she had expected anything in the first place.  But it was at least giving her a starting point for some investigation.  She almost choked on the alcohol as he admitted to being awfully nerdy and being pranked a lot.  "No, you're joking!  You don't look like you'd be that nerdy kid in the corner."  She smiled at him with a soft laugh.  She'd had a couple pranks done to her, sure,one by the headmaster himself in fact, but she was never really 'nerdy'.  ...Not in the usual sense.  Not for lack of trying to absorb her work, it just.... didn't stick very well, for whatever reason.  "Why in Bertrand's name would anyone want to mess with you?"

"You can do both. During the breaks. You don't have to do it full time. Just going and helping for a little bit it enough. They are so appreciative. They have translators too if you'd be worried about a language barrier." Bryan said, taking another drink. "Maybe someday I won't work all the time. Of course, I know I'm being full of it by saying that. They've literally told me I can't be on call for a month. Can you believe that craziness?" He asked, chuckling. Bryan loved his work. He needed it, really. It kept him busy, and a little less alone.

"Of course I was the nerdy one in the corner. I literally do our medicine and their medicine. I always knew what I wanted to be. My father was a doctor, my mother was a healer. I did the best of both worlds." He laughed. "So, yes, I was a nerd, and I got pranked. It's okay though, I got revenge every now and again. Once time, I brewed a potion that would give small boils. Nothing serious. Put it in my dorm mates shoes. It was hilarious at the time. The funny part is that I helped them get rid of it too. I guess being the nerdy one wasn't so bad after all to them."