Cbox
No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Caitlin Sullivan

Defence Against the Dark Arts, Term 1

Tally Staff ☆ Counselor, Profiler, Author, Psychologist★ LilyCat
121 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

The classroom was already organised before Caitlin had come in that day. She'd had it ready to go before a week ago even. Rather than the typical grid formation, the chairs were set in a semi-circle with three rows of chairs that sat spaced between others so everyone could see well, spaced decently for the students, and there were no desks for now. The desks were all set to the side of the room. There were reasons for this, but for the most part it simply meant that no one had any use for their books for this lesson. The central point that the partial circle was a small podium, behind which was the blackboard. The blackboard simply read for now:

'Welcome to Defense Against the Dark Arts, with Caitlin Sullivan.'

Having arrived well before the students, the woman had set her own materials on top of the podium and made sure that she had her attendance list as well as any other notes that she felt she needed for this class. She was perhaps a little nervous, but as the time drew nearer, that anxiety began to fade off, until the teacher who students would see upon arriving, was a calm red-haired woman, dressed in a pencil skirt and blouse, pumps with a small heel, and her hair loose over her shoulders but pinned at the sides with small clips.

Smiling warmly as she watched them enter, Caitlin waited until the clock struck the time when her class was supposed to begin, and then stepped forward a little, so that she wasn't behind the podium, but instead slowly pacing in a casual manner as she spoke.

"Hello everyone, and I'd like to welcome you all to your first lesson in Defense Against the Dark Arts for this year. My name is Caitlin Sullivan, but you may feel free to call me Cate or Caitlin. This goes for inside and outside the classroom, I'd like you all to feel comfortable talking to me, whether it's to ask me a question, or to answer one. This is an open and respectful learning environment, and my hope is to be able to give you the tools to be able to protect yourself and those you care about from the potential dangers you could face as someone living in a world full of magic," She then lifted her wand and waved it in the direction of the board, where the writing changed.

What do you personally feel causes something fall under the category of 'Dark Arts'?

"Since this is our first lesson, there will be no need for your books or writing utensils, we're going to get to know one another, perhaps discuss a little about our opinions, what we'd like to gain from this lesson, both as a group and as individuals, and then we will be move on to a practical half of the lesson. Let's move around the room, from my left. Please offer your name, what you prefer to be called and a random fact about yourself that you'd like to share with us, what you think you'd like to gain as a group and an individual from this class... and then answer the question on the board for me please," The woman then nodded to the person who was in the very first spot as she halted in her casual pacing, in order to listen.

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Guitarist/Vocalist - Local School Hero!✩ Kaitore
20 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ HE/HIM

Why, oh why, did he have to come in so early? His meter of arriving in the coolest fashion had been extremely off to the point that he had been arriving to his classes at various times. At least not late, but come on, First!? Even worse the idea of a 'Practical' course in the lesson still rubbed him the wrong way, mostly because he had yet to actually pick up a new wand but that was something no one needed to know yet. As Cate turned her gaze towards the class a slight awkwardness fell into the pit of his stomach, he was dating his Teacher's Niece. . .  Well, talk about a very mixed priority for him in this moment. 

Soon he found that he was at the start of the class and needed to stand up to introduce himself. Briefly coughing afterwards. "Hey class, I'm Alexander Winfield, preferably Alex, and I enjoy playing my guitar and singing. Ah. . . As a group I don't really know, I guess just to hope our different collection of talents can assist in learning?" He hadn't actually considered what he'd ever want to learn as a group, School had always been so singular, so individual focused that it was a rare thing to come into mind unless it was a sport. "Individually I'd like to learn just how to better hone my magic." So that he wouldn't set someone on-fire unsuspectedly again. "I think what causes something to fall under the category of 'Dark Arts' is intention? If it's meant to harm and how severe the harm could be. A bit broad I guess." He seemed to shrug before sitting back down in his seat.

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Usually, Tyson's own arrival varied depending on class and what he had expected to gain from it. While DADA had always been a first year choice it had always been one of his favorite classes due to the degree of activity that often stemmed from it. The seats were arranged in a very awkward manner another class that seemed to have put things out of the usual order - though in this case it made much more sense than just to make the students feel awkward about staring at one another. This seemed more like it was a mixture to incorporate a lecture as well as future practical tests. 

It hadn't escaped his notice that another familiar student had been nearby and introduced himself. But the young man seemed to be highly uncertain about his whole reason for being in the class, that or just really obscure about the true reason behind it all. That didn't matter it didn't concern him in the least since it didn't really effect him whatsoever. Then his turn had arrived as Caitlin nodded towards his direction for him to begin. He stood up easily. "Yo', the names Tyson McKennis, a random fact about me is I train in Muay Thai. Don't expect most folks here to know what that is." It was primarily a muggle thing in the end after all, people of Magical communities rarely understood the need of martial arts but Tyson could understand the reasoning and growth such things added to a person. Discipline. 

"As a group, I'm hoping we'll learn how to best defend ourselves. There's always gonna be someone who tries to force their way and we may just end up in one of those areas. These kind of talents and skills are useful." They were practical to learn in the long run. "Individually, I just want to get better and hone the skills I've already developed. Get better bit by bit." Tyson's eyes glanced over at the writing on the board as he considered the question in depth for a moment. "I feel anything that has some kind of nefarious idea behind it counts, curses intended to break bones and such like that." After he gave his two cents he sat back down into place and waited for the next student to speak up. 

Repository ☆ Third Year Blackbird
Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Morgan groaned, rubbing her arms. This was exhausting! She forgot how much she had to push herself to get to classes and, having a full roster this year, it was a real pain. Even with Roe, it was starting to hurt. The dog could only do so much, after all. But maybe she could try and make something that could help him take the weight off?

She panted, stopping in front of the door to Defense Against the Dark Arts. This was going to be fairly hard, and she worried for Roe's safety. A single misaimed spell could put a fast end to the dog's working career, and possibly life. But perhaps the teacher could help her find a way to keep Roe safe?

The dog pulled the door open, and she rolled inside, pausing as she saw that there were no desks. Only chairs. Finally, she rolled so as to be in her own row, looking at the teacher to see if she wanted her to take a different place. Roe, being well trained, sat at attention next to her chair.

She looked up as the teacher began to speak, turning her head to follow the woman. As soon as the writing appeared on the board, Morgan began to think.

Once it was her turn, she would smile, waving uncomfortably. "Hi! My name is Morgan, just call me Morgan. Oh, and this is Roe." she gestured at the Chocolate Lab in his service dog vest. "Um... I like to write, I guess. As a group, I'd like to learn how to use each other to build up our Magic. As an individual, I'd like to learn how to properly use my Magic.

I think anything could fall under the category of 'Dark Arts'. The Killing Curse, a universal Dark Art, can be used to put someone deathly injured out of their misery. The common lifting charm, while thought to be 'light', can be used to throw someone out a window." She looked down at her desk after finishing.

Repository ☆ First Year Guest
Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Thankfully, she wasn't late. Ilia smiled as she walked into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, humming quietly. Her hand clenched at the strap of her backpack, thumb running along the strip of fabric she'd tied to it. The silkiness was soothing, and she wouldn't give it up for anything.

She frowned at the sight of the desks, if one could call them that. They were only chairs, with no table or writing surface. How were they to write their notes, then? Look at their books? But, thankfully, her preferred chair was still available, so she quickly sat in it, reading the board.

Once the teacher came around to her, she smiled uncomfortably. "My name is Ilia, please call me Ilia or Il, I don't care much. Um... I'm afraid of heights? As a group, I'd like to help each other with what we're struggling with, while helping others with our strengths. And as an individual, I'd like to strengthen my magic.

As for whether something falls under the category of Dark Arts, umm... I guess it depends? If it can be used consistently to harm someone, then it's a Dark Art."

Repository Blackbird

Samhain felt naked.

Her backpack was uncomfortably light, without Bumble's familiar weight. But she didn't want to risk the poor creature getting hurt by a wayward spell, so she'd left him behind in her Dorm.

She shivered as she stood in front of the classroom door, wishing she had Bumble with her. He seemed to give her the courage she was lacking, but without him here she wanted to turn tail and run. Unfortunately, she definitely didn't want to get Detention for skipping class, especially in the first week. So she slipped inside, waving uncomfortably at Alex, before taking a seat away from the students that had already arrived.

Once it was her turn, she flushed, before answering. "I-I'm Samhain, y-you c-can call m-me whatever. Um... I h-have a p-pet Quokka n-named Bum-Bumble. I-I'd like to g-get more c-control ov-over my-my mag-magic, so I sto-stop ha-having out-burs-bursts. As-as a g-group, I-I'd like to le-learn to tru-trust oth-others.

Um... Da-Dark Ar-Arts are spells th-that are kno-known for har-harming oth-others, with-without having a-a u-use oth-otherw-wise.

Repository ☆ Seventh Year Angie
Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion was a little relieved. Given that he didn't have a whole lot to do as far as taking notes and actually engaging his brain? He was pleased to just be able to talk. 

He was at least on time for class. He managed to get to the classroom before the bell tolled anyway. If anything, Defense Against the Dark Arts was probably one of his favorite classes, aside from flying class last year. He quite enjoyed learning practical defensive magic and how to actually duel.

Just listening to the others gave him a small inkling of what others thought of this class and what Dark Arts consisted of. For Orion, there was only one true answer. It was the one thing that kept him focused on learning because otherwise, he would feel the exact thing he didn't want. He didn't want to be afraid of the unknown, because fear led to making stupid decisions like actually partaking in the dark arts.

"I think fear is the greatest motivator for Dark Arts." Orion leaned forward on his elbows. "I'm Orion. Um, I like to surf." That had to be enough, right? 

Repository ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Flinders Student✩ Chromatic

The lack of desks made her somewhat nervous. Desks and note taking were comfortable, and even though she was assured that books and notes were nto needed, Siwan still had a notebook and pencil in her lap. 

"Hello, I'm Siwan. That's just fine by me. And it's okay if you cant pronounce my last name, it's Welsh." She paused to look at the teacher with a slightly apologetic smile. "Erm... I speak 6 languages. Three of them fluently, and the other three to varying degrees of fluency."

She swallowed now nervously, glancing around, and pausing to look at the girl called Morgan with her service dog sitting beside her. "I agree with Morgan. The casters intent heavily influences whether an act of magic is ark or not. Some spells are inherently 'dark' in their creation and casting. But once again, a hovering charm can be used to cause harm, As Morgan said." 

She had a tendency to ramble on when she was nervous, but it was all in an attempt to keep conversation flowing so that others did not feel uncomfortable. 

Repository ☆ Fifth Year Dunkle

"Tena koutou" The fidgety girl started. "I'm Hine." She had been on time, a rarity for the way her classes had gone so far, a large campus that everyone else her year already knew their way around.
"So uh, a fact about me eh cuz? Uh. People usually call me Nae, and uh..." She hesitated again. "I guess a fact about me is the island I grew up on had less than eighty people on it? Yeah, nah, that will do."
She leaned back in her chair. "Dark arts eh? Uh, so my mum said that Dark spells can be jinxes, hexes, or curses, right? But while it's all stuff that can only be used to permanently make things worse, like it's not evil. Like everything but the unforgivables are legal, in most cases. Like, a couple people said, it's all about ethics and shit. I mean stuff, sorry Miss."
She looked away from the teacher, trying to cover the swearing.

Narragyambie ☆ Junior Dance Instructor, Co-Creator of GeVe Productions★ LilyCat
19 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ She/Her

Cassandra hadn't been far behind Alex, and had offered a small smile to Cate, as well as a wave as she found a seat diagonally behind her boyfriend, giving him a gentle poke with her forefinger before winking lightly and mouthing 'relax' at the young man. He looked a little too nervous, even though she knew the class wasn't going to be really that terrifying. At least here she was prepared to talk about things like the Unforgivable Curses and the results of dark magic and those who used them. She set her bag under her chair and relaxed easily, crossing one knee over the other, and speaking easily when it was her turn.

"So, I'm Cassandra, call me Cass. And I've been a dancer since I was a wee toddler, and been doing choreography since I was fourteen," Seemed like a nice fact to give to others. Maybe it'd spark some interest from some students and she might have a chance to make a few friends. "As a group, I think it's always important to learn how to spot one another's strengths and weaknesses so that we can each improve in those areas. Personally, I think I'd just like to feel certain that I can protect myself and the people I love." She smiled warmly at the woman who was teaching the class, receiving a smile in return before then taking a small breath as she then continued.

"As for what I feel makes something fall under the category of a Dark Art, it's the desire of the person who is casting, or what it takes to be able to even bring oneself to use that kind of magic on another to cause harm in some way," The young woman had become more serious with her answer, offering a small nod. She listened to other students, though, smirking at some of the answers, as well as the slip of a swear word.

Repository ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Student/Janitor✩ Shell

Took a couple weeks for this class to start which was unnerving, but it wasn't terrible.  She could deal with that just fine.  Helped keep the load from being too heavy.  She found Alex and quickly took a seat next to him.  She usually tried to be among the four three to arrive, it was just a thing.  Gave her time to find a spot and plop and get settled and try and turn her inner student on instead of her usual self.

It was still awkward.  It was incredibly awkward.  Less than a week since Alex dropped a pile of bombs on her including his health, his family, and his feelings about both her and Cass.  It had been two days since it was publicly announced they were a thing.  It made her stomach knot and twist and turn.  She felt sick.  She wanted to get the hell out of this room, but was unwilling to run out of there just because her crush was dating someone.  ....Somehow who apparently sat right behind her.

She kept quiet, not saying anything to anyone in the room until after Cass' aunt, whom the red-head had told her of before, began speaking to the class, giving a small introduction to the day and sending them all off to introduce themselves.  Eventually after a long round of others she stood up to do as instructed.

"I'm Geraldine Richter, but I only respond to Gerry.  I like to hit heavy balls of possessed hate at people while flying on a broomstick."  She gave a shrug at that.  Most the students here were already well aware of that.  She wasn't about to dole out anything personal to them.

"I think my aim is the same as everyone else's.  Learn to defend myself and other people.  Oterhwise there's no point being in here.  As for that dark art bit, I disagree with the class.  Intention isn't the only thing that classifies a dark art.  Anything that removes a person's will or choice is a dark art, whether it's intended or not."  She sat down, eyes closed, and waited.

Repository ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Student✩ Shell

Iris was not terribly enthused by the seating.  While it was new and fun looking, the second row, the row she always sat in, no longer existed.  Well, it did, but instead of being not hte middle but toward the front, it was now directly the middle.  She sighed, her spirits lifting the second she saw a dog. "Oh, puppy!" she all but shouted as she ran over to look at it.  "Awwww your'e so cute!" she said, reaching to pet hte animal.  

Seeing a familiar head of black hair she stopped mid-reach and shot up, hurrying over to claim a seat next to Siwan.  "Hey again!" she said with a giggle, noticing that her friend kept a notebook and pen.  ...Oh right.  She looked around, spying the desks where some of the others were dropping her things.  She still had her bag.  "Oh well," she said with a  shrug, stuffing her own beneath her chair.

She was glad for all the introductions because she was so horrible at names.  It gave her a refresher on the girl next to her's, and even Alex's, along with everyone else's.  Now it wasn't just Crazy Blue or Red Lass or Adventurer.  After Siwan, Iris stood up and waved, the smile on her face soon disappearing as she realized people were watching her.  She swallowed, ees turning to stare at the podium itself.

"I'm Iris and...I like to design outfits."  She swallowed again.  That part was always easiest.  Her hands fidgeted with her dress as she coninued on, her voice gradually decreasing in volume.  "I want us all to be able to work together and to better my own skills.  Uh...  Um..."  Her eyes lifted up to the blackboard. "Right.  Well, aren't there just.  ...dark spells?  So I guess that's what makes a dark art.  There's good spells and dark ones and inbetween ones."

Repository ☆ Fourth Year ☆ Student✩ Shell
Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

Mairead stopped for a momnet when she entered the classroom, then quickly moved her bag to a desk on the side, pulling out a notebook and a writing utensil.  As per her usual, she took the exact middle seat available, a gentle smile plastered on her face as she sat and smoothed out her uniform.  This was already turning out to be an interesting motley of a group.

Her ears quickly caught on to a very thick Irish accent and she looked up at the red-haired teacher.  Her head tilted ever so slightly as she looked at her, then around the room again.  Hmm.  Unusual.  Not only was there an annoyingly high surplus of new teachers, but a number of them, it seemed, were foreign.

Eventually the circle came around to her.  "My name is Mairead, and I enjoy house music."  Something about the lack of words was freeing.  There was absolutely no language barrier involved.  "As a group I would like to see us all help each other improve and learn the necessary skils.  As for myself...that's more personal."  Like keeping herself from being murdered by whomever was taking out the rest of her family.  "Really anything can be considered a dark art.  It depends on the magic, the environment and the people involved.  Everything is opinion, in the end."{/b]

Repository ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentBlackbird
Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

It was his first day at Tallygarunga, and it was time for his first class. And he couldn't wait! It had been years since he'd been in a class that had more than one student, and he couldn't wait to be in a class environment again. A tutor was good, but not as good as a real class.

Defense Against the Dark Arts! What would they learn there? How to do some spells? He hoped he knew some of the spells already, so he could have a head start. It would be just awful if he was behind, he wouldn't be able to stand it.

Jogging to the door of the classroom, he slipped inside. Dark eyes scanned the classroom, seeing a rather large amount of students; there was even a girl with a dog! He stood tall as he walked to the nearest desk, relaxing into it even as he put out his supplies.

However, he was forced to put them right back away, as the teacher said they wouldn't need it. 'Well, alright then.' He listened interestedly as the rest of the class introduced themselves, before taking his turn.

"'ello! I'm Naoki Nakamura. You all can call me Nao or Naoki, I don't really care." he was careful to enunciate his words, but he still couldn't quite hide all of his accent. "I'm from Japan, although I suppose it's kind of obvious!" he chuckled. "I'd like to learn more spells, especially those that are taught in Australia but not in Japan. As a class I guess we need to learn to work-" he forgot the word, and paused for a moment. '相前後して. What is that in English?' "together." he frowned. That wasn't the word he was looking for but, he supposed it was good enough.

"I suppose a Dark Art is any spell that can hurt someone?" he shrugged, before sitting back down in his seat, reclining casually.

Stood at the head of the class, Caitlin held her hands clasped together as her gaze shifted between each student who spoke. Alex and Tyson each received a small nod for their answers, though the woman hadn't felt any need to go into detail yet, it seemed, though Morgan's answer caused the woman to lift her hand so that she could interject before the next student, and offered a small shake of her head.

"Do not ever fool yourself into thinking that the Killing Curse, one of the Unforgivable Curses, is not a Dark Art, even if to put someone out of their misery. It takes someone who has a great deal of hate or malice toward another to be able to successfully cast that, and I can tell you now, it is not an experience I would wish upon anyone. You may think that a person simply dies from it, but it is much, much worse," The woman's steely gaze swept across the students, her voice and tone perhaps the most serious and sinister it might ever sound, "The meaning of the incantation itself is 'let the thing be destroyed'..." The woman shook her head again at Morgan, "There is a reason it is considered one of the worst of the curses. For even used in mercy, it has the ability to corrupt." That said, she then gestured for the next student to continue, as she summoned a book and pen to take a couple of notes.

Ilia, Samhain and Orion touched on similar things to the first couple of students, for the most part it seemed many of them understood in a roundabout way, and it was Caitlin's job to make sure that they gained an even better understanding. Siwan offered a similar answer to Morgan, though only on the side that a spell intended could  good could potentially harm someone, which Cate did not disagree with. Hine touched on what had been said earlier and received a small nod. Cate then lifted a brow at Cassandra though, the girl knew exactly what the answer was, and yet she was being  wishy-washy, and her aunt had to wonder if it was because she was worried about some kind of favourtism. As Geraldine answered, A brow lifted again, and a small smirk tugged at Cate's lips.

"That is a symptom of some dark arts, yes Ms Richter, but it does not define the Dark Arts in general. An interesting answer for someone who enjoys hitting heavy balls of possessed hate at people though," There was still some mild amusement as Caitlin wrote some more notes down as she gestured for the students to continue, however, keeping her thoughts to herself for the meantime. Iris' answer wasn't exactly the most astute, and a brow was raised again, but the woman said nothing for now, listening as Mairead went next, receiving a small nod, along with the young man who had slipped in just before she'd started the class. With that done, Caitlin smiled warmly and set her book and pen on the podium before addressing the class again.

"Alright then. As for something about me, I have worked for a number of years in the profiling, investigation and capturing of some of the worst magical criminals in Europe. I have seen things that no one should ever have to, and been inside the heads of truly terrifying individuals," Caitlin then glanced at the board briefly before then back toward the class, "So what constitutes a Dark Art? Most of you have a general idea already, which is good to hear. One of the things is the intent of the caster. Anything that is derived from a malicious or dark intent can be considered dark magic, but there are milder intentions that can also be claimed as 'dark'. As I mentioned just before, something like the Killing Curse is designed to destroy, and so can not truly be effectively cast from a place of kindness. But there are some spells designed for good, that can be cast to harm another... and again, why? Because they are intended to. The other defining factor, that no one managed to mention, is that a Dark Art has the potential to corrupt the caster, leading them toward further negative intentions with their magic."

"Fear, pain, distress, control... Of course, mistakes can happen with some charms, it doesn't make the caster evil or even a dark wizard or witch, because it was an accident. That is why we have a section in the Ministry that deals with accidents," Caitlin smirked a little and glanced around the class. "Dark Arts do not inherently mean evil or wicked. A number of practical jokes could be considered 'dark', even if the intention isn't for harm, but for a laugh at the expense of another."

"But, the fact that intent plays such an important role, means there is a great deal of psychology involved in the Dark Arts and defending against them. Not only defending against spells themselves, but against that part of us which is always vulnerable... the mind. The most common reason they are referred to is a Dark Art, and not 'evil', is because it doesn't have to be evil to begin with, but as mentioned they are corrupting in nature to the caster, the more they are used, the more the caster can become seduced by the power they offer," Caitlin smiled gently across the classroom and stepped back toward the podium a little. "As I said, I've known many criminals, and sometimes it doesn't take much. One slip, one break. It is important to know what kind of person you want to be, and to hold onto that. Use it as your strength and inspiration. Also, love. The ability to love will always protect you from being seduced properly," Lifting her wand, she erased the board, but didn't put anything else up there yet. "That will be something to delve into more in the future. Today, I'd like to work on a practical for the rest of the lesson. I'd like a show of hands for people who have ever successfully cast a Patronus spell. I imagine perhaps half the class at most, since many don't teach it to younger students, but I see no reason why one cannot practise, even if they cannot cast it yet."

"While letting me know if you have cast a Patronus before, I'd be interested to also know what creature is was... of if you haven't, what do you think it could be and why you think so. I'd also like an example of what it can be used for, if people can think of some," Smiling once, again, Caitlin nodded for the students to begin, making a note of who had and hadn't done it before so that she could pair people up.

Repository ☆ Fifth Year Dunkle

Hine didn't raise her hand when the call went out on who had manifested a Patronus previously. Her schooling in practical Defence against the Dark arts was limited to duelling, mostly due to her mother not being overly proficient, but her theoretical knowledge was pretty decent. Or so she had thought. Some of the ethical details the teacher was providing didn't agree with the textbooks she had worked from, but they were old, and out of date obviously. Maybe the laws around Dark magic were different in Australia.

When the hands lowered over the first matter she rose hers to speak on the latter. "Well, while I haven't manifested the Patronus before, I kinda assume it would be a shark, or other large sea animal. I've lived by the sea most of my life, after all hey?" There was a moment's pause. "It's pure manifested positive energy, so it's best for keeping away Lethifolds, but it's not very effective unless you can manifest a corporeal one, rather than an incorporeal one, right?"

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Guitarist/Vocalist - Local School Hero!✩ Kaitore
20 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ HE/HIM

Alex glanced over towards Gerry with a small smile as he waved. "Hey there, Gerry, glad to see you up and about." He'd then been poked by Cassandra as his head leaned back far enough to look at his girlfriends face. The mouthed words formed as he sighed briefly and shook his head it wasn't so simple since he knew this was another practical magic course on an intensive level. There was no guarantee of safety his own or anyone else's and the stress of knowing he had to be exceedingly more aware as well as expectant that anything or nothing can occur weighed heavily inside of him. Then he started to fix his posture and stare at Caitlin after everyone's introductions had filed on through.

The Dark Arts. . . It seemed anything can morph the purpose of a spell by simply adding the intention behind it. Not that he didn't know that but hearing it spoken in such a severe tone did bring it a bit further into perspective. Consideration came more from the difference in continent and experience that the Professor had to under go in order to became so iron clad about its usages. Even to the point of focusing on the deadliness of one unforgivable curse and how it held no good purpose to be used beyond what it was truly capable of managing. It sent a brief shiver down his spine and his head shook lightly. 

Love was a strength? He did his utmost not to look back at Cass like some kind of smitten goober but it was a reaction that was hard to keep from occurring. At least, until the Professor asked if anyone had actually performed a Patronus before and then his gaze shifted away entirely, Cast it? He could barely cast a Patro-Lift-Us charm without catching something on fire. A hand pressed against his face as he rubbed at his cheek gaining more cautious at the mere thought that now he had to practice it. This wasn't going to be good, not at all. 

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Something used even in mercy could corrupt, that was a pop out response in his mind. If intention had been everything then one figured a show of mercy wouldn't hold such a stronghold on corruption but it seemed the unforgivable curses were of a different brood entirely. Because of their designation there was only one way someone could manifest it effectively and make use of it, even with Mercy inside of them, it would be enough to stem that kind of a tide towards the path of being a further corrupted. His hand rose up to gently stroke at the base of his chin in consideration. 

Sounded like Dark Magic was the gate way drug of the wizarding world. Just in a lot more destructive spiral and the idea that something as small in comparison as making someone slip on ice intentionally for a laugh could potentially escalate higher and higher until a sense of darkness overwhelmed someone on the inside, seemed a bit hard to grasp. Yet, here it was there before him being spoken as an informative fact. How many had wanted to just have a bit of fun and realized that their fun just kept getting too dangerous? How many had been bullied to the point of revenge and fell to the lure of that power because they would no longer be victimized? The questions ran through his mind faster than he could truly process them until it had fully passed through as a thought. There had been a lingering question above that which was how did those like Auror's end up keeping themselves from falling to that while on the job dealing with what they dealt with or even those pushed into war. 

"Love?" That was a mysterious concept for him, he didn't know it. Never made a lasting impact on his life or been done in a nurturing manner that he could ever remember that it was a form of power for him. Once the question had been asked about who had created a Partonus Charm his hand remained down. If it required a certain trigger or talent it was beyond him to actually see what it was or even give an idea of it.

Repository ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentBlackbird
Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Naoki paid close attention as the teacher began to speak, jotting down little notes that he felt were important. He wondered what she meant that a person didn't simply die from the spell; what did it do? What could be worth than death? Was it like the Cruciatus charm?

The boy grinned at the mention of a familiar spell, quickly raising his hand. When he was called upon, he was quick to respond. "I've cast the Patronus Charm before, with my tutor. It was a Hoo-Hoo, a firebird native to Japan." Once he was done, he sat back down, wondering whether the others had cast a corporeal Patronus Charm before.

Repository ☆ Seventh Year Angie
Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion was not the only one raised by the sea. Granted, they lived on a giant island, but still... it was fascinating to learn that other students also were raised on the water. He wasn't the only one that had come to love the water as much as they had. 

Still, he knew that the Patronus charm was caused by creating such a powerful happy memory in inverse to such a powerful negative force. He used to think that it was once his mother versus his father, but that never worked. But he loved his mother more than anything in this world. If invoking her memory made his Patronus that much stronger, he was proud of it.

Still, love was one of those emotions he always swore made someone weak. It was nice to know that love was good for something, even if it was just casting magic. 

He glanced over at the last boy who'd spoken. He had cast a Patronus charm, too?

"I just learned the past few months." He didn't add it was in remedial studies. "I'm pretty sure the shape before it faded was a hornbill. It just had a really big beak and I know they're native to where I live."

Repository Blackbird

Samhain flinched as the Professor was quick to rebuke the girl in a wheelchair, a flush coming across her face in second-hand embarrassment. Man, she couldn't imagine being called out in front of everyone else like that.

Thankfully, it wasn't long before they switched discussions. Patronuses? She'd never cast one, and quite frankly, didn't think she could. It was a very strong, powerful spell, and she feared doing it wrong. Although the idea sounded fantastic.

When it was her turn, she frowned, saying, "I've never cast a Patronus, and I don't know what it would be. A mouse or a rabbit, I guess? A Patronus could be useful for, u-um, helping to lessen Depression?" she flushed at the rather bad answer, staring at her desk.

Repository ☆ First Year Guest

Evidentally, the Professor did not like the girl-with-the-dog's answer. Ilia flushed, and drew a line through the notes she'd made on what the girl had said, instead adding in the Professor's comments. The Killing Curse sounded very scary, and she hoped she never had to face it.

The teacher continued speaking, finally switching to the Patronus Charm. The Patronus Charm? She'd never cast that before, and only barely knew what it was. So she waited for her turn, before raising her hand. "I've never cast a Patronus Charm, but I guess it would be a dog of some kind? Maybe a Golden Retriever?"

Narragyambie ☆ Junior Dance Instructor, Co-Creator of GeVe Productions★ LilyCat
19 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ She/Her

Cassandra tried to offer Alex an encouraging smile, but then tuned back into the class as she listened to Cate, slouching  in her chair a little while she played with a strand of hair. She knew about most of this, had read through a lot of her aunt's research before. And had the woman raise her. She'd been  shown very early on how to defend herself should she find herself in danger. As the topic of Patronus Charm came up, she sat up a little in her chair.

"The Patronus charm is an extremely difficult charm to learn, and those who achieve corporeal Patronus forms are usually considered quite strong in magic. It's typically used for protection, against Lethifolds or Dementors. It can also be used to deliver messages between wizards as well, and should be noted that the form of the Patronus doesn't decide it's strength. Something as small as a mouse can hold off an army of Dementors if the wizard's will... or the happy memory within their spell is strong enough," The girl said easily with a small smile, "I've got pretty close to successfully casting it, and I'm pretty sure it would been some kind of cat."

Caitlin listened to the students who answered her questions, a more satisfied smile touching her lips as Cassandra finally gave an answer that gave more credit to how much the girl knew. Glancing at the clock, however, the woman realised they were running out of time, and she flicked her wand toward the blackboard once again, causing a new list of questions to show up on it.

1. Name three Dark Creatures:  

2. Of these three, choose one, and give a brief description of them and their danger level: 

3. What is a weakness of this creature?

4. What is their strength?

Before the next lesson, read up on the Disarming Spell, and Riddikulus Spell, as we shall be doing more practical work.

"Hand in the assignment, the answers to those four questions, before the next class, please. Next time we shall try to get in some practise using defensive spells. I shall have a drop-box on my office door for you to submit your homework. Be safe, class dismissed," The woman offered a smile as she nodded to the students before moving to her podium to gather up her own things, watching as the class filed out, while writing a few notes in her book.