Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Invite Red and Blue, Oh it's you?

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Tyson had decided to go through his usual regiment with fingerless gloves attached to his hand and his attire being that of under-armor fabric from the Muggle side of the world that clung to his chest for better breathing and movement through physical activities as well as well lengthened shorts that seemed to hold similar fabric just under them in the form of firm clinging leggings. Sneakers were worn as well though they had seen better days, a clear indicator of being re-patched up, stitched, and maintained lingered as some parts of the material had been faded and many of the stitches woven through its various areas were different colors. Often he just used whatever was on hand along with shoe gum or glue to attach the soles back nice and tightly for him to use it all again. Even though his parents were well off he didn't benefit from them, not anymore, he made through with what he got on his own merits and the meager amount of cash he could bring up until he had more time to devote towards upkeep of his own benefit.

As for the young man's regiment he first started to traverse around the ground by foot running a few laps around the around in a pace, not going too fast as if he were running a race but just enough that his body could feel the effects of being slightly more pushed than a normal jog. Lips parted as he breathed through his nose and out of his mouth to better keep his heartrate controlled but also to continue on training up his cardio. At the center of the field seemed to be a few bits of equipment, a broom and a Quaffle to practice throwing through small hoops that extended into the ground. He didn't want to over toss the spherical object and have to chase it too far if he didn't really need to do it. 

Mentally settling on if he had ran enough times around the area he started to run back towards the center of the pitch and stretched out his arms, side, and legs so that they wouldn't lock up on him. A brief cool down exercises before he'd have to take up the real work that he needed to do, all the while, he hadn't been too aware of who had been within the vicinity practically zoning out due to his activity. It took the slight motion from the corner of his eyes when he turned about to grab up his broom that he had halted to see a person heading towards the area. 

"Yo', what's up?" The young girl seemed familiar and then it hit him a bit, he had faced House Sturt in a few games and had seen her as a Bludger for that house one times. "Oh, yea', I remember you." He never had the opportunity to catch her too often. Truthfully, he admired her aggression and tenacity, mostly because he saw those kind of traits within himself. 

Repository ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Student/Janitor✩ Shell
Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Where the hell was Alex?  She'd been asking herself that a lot that day.  She noticed a distinct lack of him in class, and had taken it upon herself to write down the assignments for him.  She was going to spend that night making second copies of all her notes.  Whatever it was, the teachers were in on it.  None of them looked the least bit surprised that the Spencer was suddenly MIA.

She figured she may as well get some sort of practice in while she could.  She couldn't very well let a bludger lose without another beater, but she could still swing the bat, and hit at other balls of equal weight that didn't fly off trying to take peoples' heads with it.  She could do manuevers on her broom, run.... there was more than enough to keep her busy and in shape.

She wore a Sturt-blue sports bra with a black halter top over it, with form-fitting capri-length black pants with some blue designs on the sides of hte legs.  Her sneakers did well enough--they were off-white, yellow in some places, and the laces were a little frayed but nothing too bad.  Her hair was swept up in a high ponytail, with the exception of her very long bangs which she always left down.

She noticed as she made her way onto the field that another student was giving themselvs a workout.  From the distance she couldn't quite make out who it was, despite the squinting.  Oh well.  She could share the space, it was no big deal.  It was huge after all, and maybe having someone around could distract her from her worry.  

Broom in one hand, sports bag in the other [which she held over her shoulder], she approached the male who addressed her.  "What isn't?" she said in response.  As far as she was concerned, everything that mattered on this field was in the air.  The air itself, the hoops--herself, soon enough.   She set her things down and dropped to one knee to make sure her laces were secured when he said he recognized her.  Looking up, she gave him a once-over.  "Oh right.  You play for Bourke.  McKennis, isn't it?"

She gazed at him with a level of indifference--an improvement to her usual scowl she gave people.  He was a player, an athlete, and that much she could respect.  He had a few points where most people would have none.  It was due to his participation in the sport that she had any idea at all what even part of his name was, even if it was only the last half.  "I see you're not pulling any muscles today."

His eyes caught what she had been wearing though he didn't make any obvious scanning. Everything could be seen in an easy enough glance and it had already been within his mind that she had been ready to practice or get some kind of sweat worked in on the field, that was something that he could respect but there had already been a respect towards the young woman. "Hehe, You got me there Though I meant that more as a. . .  Greeting. My bad some stuff from my life before coming here haven't really left." He came from a family that hadn't originally started in Australian but migrated within the last seventy years or so to the country. A lot of the speech styles and meanings had been well engrained in his family as if it were a cultural effect for them, which in a way, it was. "Yea, It's Mcknnis - Tyson." His head lifted up a bit to catch a better look at her face - Right - that's why she was familiar. 

The Sturt with the 'Rage and Fierce attitude' of a high end Bourke. "You're Richther, play for Sturt as their Beater. One of the hardest hitters and the one to watch out for the most when the clutch is on." Tyson had a respect for people that knew their roles but not that alone, he respected those that chose to excel within them at any moment that was possible for them. Keeping themselves in shape, practicing, and most importantly, showing that very effort and focus on the field in a game. Even if he had been on the bad end of a Quaffle every now and then he often laughed it off after the pain had managed to be passed on. "Gotta' say, I admire your talent when I am not possibly on the other end of it. But even that it's always a pretty interesting and tight game." He enjoyed the challenge of it, every bit of what Quidditich had to offer was so much different than what was offered in the Muggle world. Because of the ability to heal the carelessness of sports and its connection with magic knew no true bounds. 

Tyson tried to keep a good preview of all the players he went up against as an idea of who to really keep an eye out for their talent and skill that they brought to the game. Everyone deserved to be considered but the ones who were always at the front of his minds were players like Gerladine, those who came with a certain aura about them and made sure everyone saw just how it worked for them. These were the ones who would be game changes much more than anyone else, it was just the way of the sport. "I try not to pull, go all out no regrets. At least if I know I am at my best I can be satisfied regardless of the outcome in the games. Slacking in my own betterment ain't a proper excuse." His jousted lightly towards her direction. 

"What about you? You look like you're about to go to war or something." He didn't know her well enough to make any other guess beyond that but usually people always had a serious game face when they were training. . . Or trying to get something off of their mind. "Need a partner in crime for it? I rarely find anyone even in Bourke that can keep up with my training."

"You're bad?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.  Not that she misunderstood, it was just something she didn't always hear.  Where did he manage to pick up his odd language anyway?  It certainly wasn't 'Strayan, although his accent obviously was.  "Tyson." she repeated, making a half-note to perhaps attempt to remember that.

The flattery worked.  She found a smirk finding its way on her face as she angled her chin up.  "That's right."  And she was damn proud of that.  He was already earning points not only for knowing her name, but the compliments he gave on her play--whether they were compliments or simply observation didn't matter.  It felt good to be seen and respected and.... to get her mind off her friend who'd disappeared for the time being.  

"Then you just need to be faster.  And work on the skills to avoid it."  Speed could only do a person so much when fleeing from a bludger.  Unless a beater intervened, there was a need to be able to pull all manner of manuevers to escape the metal ball.  The speed, at least, could buy him time.

He was determined, ready to run himself to the dirt practicing on his own.  He was slowly earning more respect in her eyes.  The kind that led to a sort of kinship.   "I"m always going to war." she replied.  War with her studies, war with her peers... war with herself.  And, when she was lucky, war on the pitch.

He offered to help her and she paused for a moment, looking at him.  In that moment she didn't give a fuck what house he was from.  "Yeah, just let me get some laps and stretches in."  She rolled her ankles ten times in each direction, then shot a grin over her shoulder as she began her laps around the field.

"Yea, like. . . My fault?" Part of his speech and lingo had been from many of the musicians he had chosen to listen to in the past. People should be lucky he wasn't stuck in the age of the Harlem Renaissance, the days of Jazz and the Blues had an entirely different lingo of their own that would be even more difficult to understand. This had been the effect when many of his relatives weren't focused in Australia but came from all over, not that he spent much time with them anymore as is, especially not the ones that were confirmed Wizards or Witches. "Yeap, if it ever gets hard just think of the Muggle boxer, Mike Tyson." A chuckle escaped from him though he also didn't expect anyone to know whom that was either. 

It had been an observation more than an attempt to flatter but he also wasn't going to ruin the confidence that it seemed to bolster within. A persons should always take pride and purpose in the skills they held which had been a belief he fully tried to live through himself without trying to let other things complicate it. "Hahaha, the confidence of a bull, yea, I can get behind that kind of a feeling." There was a competitive spirit within the girl and he could respect those that seemed to have that fire burning within them. 

"Heh, I usually just try to play redirection." Meaning that when one was on his tail he'd use the other teams own body as a wall of impact and shift at the last moment to narrowly avoid the collateral damage that could occur afterwards. Though the best moments had always been when one of the beaters caught on to his idea and came as a first force to knock the ball right in the direction set it into active motion as a plan. Dangerous, risky - but you have to risk it to get the biscuit as some would say . "My skills of avoidance are typically top notch but I ain't on pro level status yet." Yet, there was still plenty of training to go, a gap to leap over to be able to be considered that talented along with the hard work he put in. 

"I'm on that track of the battlefield. Find I am more at war with myself than anything or anyone else. I'm always gonna be my worse enemy especially in the times of competition." Doubt, fear, consideration of what could be done in the moment or the worries of what if he messed up? Either way he knew that a lot of  the problems that would prop up in performance would be his own doing and fault if he faltered. She had requested a few laps with a grin on her face and that already set a fire within himself on working off of her energy along with his own. "Slammin'. " He did a few jumping jacks and heat riser exercises while he awaited for her to finish her laps. 

"Ah."  One of those phrases, she supposed.  Translated fine one way, but not the other.  She gave no further comment, it was entirely unnecessary.  When he gave her a key to remembering his name she gave a nonchalant nod.  She knew of the boxer.  Sort-of.  She knew he was a boxer, and famous, and was a damn good fighter, and it was enough.

To most, being compared to a bull wouldn't be terribly flattering, but they represented both strength and stubbornness, and they were anything but easy to take down.  A glint reflected in her eyes as she took in the words.  He knew how to play this game, and was playing it well.  He would avoid any wrath, at least for the time being.

Redirection.  He was one of those ones.  Her eyes narrowed at him as she was suddenly able to place exactly which player he was.  He caused her one hell of a headache on the field.  Best not to show him any of her tricks.  She'd save those for the games--the less he dealt with them, the better for she and her team.

After she finished her laps, drawing in a few deep breaths, she returned to stretch out now that her muscles were warmed up.  The running hadn't done her any good.  If anything, it had done her worse.  The distraction of Tyson's company had allowed her brain to wander off to where it had been most of the day, and the worry quickly began settling back into her bones.  She had an entirely foul expression on her face as she stretched out.

"So you think you're top notch, do you?"  She had to pull herself out of this or she was going to drive herself absolutely crazy.  "Guess we'll have to see about that."

It was a moment of his eyelids shuttering several times not used to needing to explain that kind of a phrasing His hand rubbed at the back of his neck even as a shrug flowed from his shoulders. Not that it was that big of a deal everyone had their own way of processing what they heard differently especially when it came to actual exposure in life, if she hadn't been a position to hear it used in that kind of a way it wasn't really her fault. Just the way of the environment that she had been around worked out. At least she caught the relation he meant for his name which wasn't a person he wanted to relate himself towards but since they both were into a form of martial arts it made it easier for others to connect that similarity with the name. 

Tyson just knew typically when it came to sports in many cases you don't want to be related towards something docile or graceful unless it was some kind of gymnastics tournament, maybe. In contact or active sports that require a team against a team gunning for the prize all at once, people wanted to be set apart as vicious and willing to get the job done. To be a different kind of predator in the apex manner, one wanted to be considered a Lion amongst the sheep, a bull amongst adversity, a bear that protects the collection of their 'young'. How one approached it often gave the radiation from them and impacted the crowd and how much they roared for such a play in a persons personality. 

While he should be trying to pick up tips and the subtle triggers on how to get at the young woman when it came to the game he also wasn't the type to go snooping around for the 'Game tricks', no, there had been no fun or challenge in already knowing what the persons thoughts actions or plays already were. Watching videos of past matches were much different than intentionally trying to rip open a persons 'Playbook' of sorts. The heat of the moment of deciding whether or not how to react, trying to read the person and succeeding in that endeavor was something that could unhinge a player if they believe someone is that intimidatingly good. 

"Oh, no, I don't think it. I know it." A small smirk pressed on his lips as his eyes narrowed towards Gerry. He knew he had to believe in his own capabilities first before anyone else would ever place faith in them. As long as he knew it, believed it, acted on it, and grew in it - then it would be a truth that he could live by. "Sounds like you're planning on trying to put that too the test. I ain't mad about it, see if I'm the real deal or just walking around pretending at the play." He was often tested in this way and it was something he grew accustomed towards. 

In the meantime he started to stretch his body starting form his arms and torso then leaning forward to stretch the back of his legs to loosen them up in order avoid the limbs from locking up or a cramp forming up within the ribs or back. 

"Unfortunately since I'm not one of you, I can only do so much as far as testing goes.  Throwing and catching isn't my forte."  she said as she stretched.  Swinging.  Swinging and just general flying.  Nobody wanted to catch the balls she dealt with, they broke bones.  They weren't something to be taken lightly.  Not even she would ever make the attempt to try and catch a bludger.  A person couldn't pay her enough to do that.

"But what I can do is hit some big balls at you for you to catch.  Then we both get some practice in, eh?"  She'd have to dig around in her bag and see what the hell she could use for that.  If she had anything.  If nothing else she could probably find something without too much of an issue, right?  Just would have to dig a little bit.  "Although if you're as good as you say, I'm gonna have some stuff competition before long."  She looked up.  As much as she loved her work with potions... she still loved Quidditch more, and that was a tight, difficult field to get into, and she just had this year and the next left before she was out in the world trying to make it.  If she could make it.

"Unless you have a better idea.

"Not a lot of folks forte, though it also could be a pretty good skill to work on. I mean, if that's the kind of thing that fulfills, ya know?" If she didn't have the passion for wanting to be in the thick of the matches in that way and preferred being the one smacking the orbs that was probably best anyways. The game wasn't enjoyable or fun if you weren't in a place that seemed as if you were making an impact while enjoying yourself as well. "You going end up competing this year?" It was a question of curiosity but also just to see if he would have another tough competitor for the other rivals. "Or planning to take a bit of a hiatus to focus more on the school work and exams?" Considering they were both in years that required a pretty intensive test at the end of the year he couldn't fault her for taking the path of focusing on studies, probably something he should consider. 

"Oh yea? Aight, word, I'll run with that then." That was a challenge Tyson was going to pick up even if it managed to leave a couple of bruises but he was at least lucky he was much more trained in body and reflexes than the average Wizard student. Or. . . Maybe most wizarding students in general considering many never touched the idea of exploring the muggle world and all of the promise it holds. "I'm aiming to be a tough competitor one way or another. Challenge myself and I challenge others, only way folks can grow in the middle of the game, ya know?"

Tyson's head light shook at the prospect of having a better idea. "Nah, most of my dodging practice ideas come from martial arts activities. That isn't really something most folks here are into."

"Pfft."  As if she'd waste her time learning a new position.  In the long run it would make her more valuable to the professional teams if she could, be someone that could change on the field, but she wasn't about to slack on what she was developing and mastering just to try and be a better 'team player', and a mediocre one at that.  It would be an insult to everything she'd worked toward.

"As if exams would scare me off."  And it wasn't just her house team she was aiming for.  She wanted, desperately, onto the other team as well.  To reach that level, to draw more potential scouts and to show more of the world what the hell Geraldine Richter was made of.  That she was not to be ignored or pushed aside.  She was coming, and she was going to leave a sea of blood and tears behind her if she needed to.

He really meant business.  In the way he stood, in how he talked.  She sized him up once more, hand on her hip.  The fact he stood over half a foot taller than her didn't bother the teen whatsoever.  She raised an eyebrow, surprised at what dropped out of his mouth.  "Martial arts?  Well, that explains a thing or two."

She turned, waving for him to follow.  "Gotta see if we can find something in the equipment room.  Hopefully they'll have something at least the size of a softball, if not bigger, for me to bat at you for awhile."

"Ha! Aight, I get that I hit a bit of something there." He nodded in resignation - He knew it wasn't an easy thing to try and learn another position especially after being dedicated towards a single one. It even made those that played the field in that way more rusty if they had to stick to only their main, no opportunity to be a true wildcard would make the skills less than ideal. But he took it as a learning experience too, one never got a good perspective of things without stepping into those positions. "Sometimes it's good to just roll with what you want. Less annoying than trying to pick up a new trade if you don't really need to.

An arm rose up and made a firm congratulatory pump in motion. "That means you'll be taking the field! Nice, nice. Plan on trying out for the School team too? I know not many folks try out for it but hoping to see that change this year. Facing other schools will drum up some good insight on competition. Not to mention, always nice to get a rival or two just to get that push." Sports, they were battles of the best and only the top of the top ever succeeded or at least were noticed enough and give accolades for building up strength that was hard trained, drilled and firmed, taken to the next level to be winners. It was an intoxicating idea and one of the reasons he worked himself so hard. 

"The intense discipline and the need to always find a reason to exercise? Yea, I get that a lot." A short sniggle resonated from him as he made a slight joke about himself. But then shrugged soon after as if it were no big deal to him. "Something I got into, channel the aggression I had as a little tike. It just happened that it worked out in the long run for Qudditich. That and I found that I actually really liked the constant activity, ya know? It helped to keep my mind focused but also let me think about stuff I needed to work through."

Giving one final stretch to his arms he could feel the pressure of muscles tightening and massaging themselves from the motion of it before following behind Gerry. "The smaller the better. I haven't checked the equipment room too much this year, hoping they got a bit of upgrades to some of the old stuff."