Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring

Invite For Absent Friends

Spencer ☆ Fifth Year ✩ Kirupachi
16 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Numb. That was the word that could most accurately describe the state of Laurie's mind throughout the month of September. With Max avoiding her occasional questions and the short girl having to stay away from Colette for the greater good, along with the impeding deadline looming over the horizon, Laurie's mind had to mostly go numb in order to survive the mounting stress. The month had been a blur and mostly on autopilot, to such a degree she'd say some of her present friendships suffered. Yet for the past couple weeks things seemed to take a turn that got through that layer of self protection.

It started when Max had gotten into a particularly nasty accident over a gift for her boyfriend, something Laurie had to conceal when their room was searched. It took a full week for the redhead to go back to their newly fixed room, but apparently the stay in the hospital had given Max some sort of room to clear her mind about things because she was more forthcoming with answers upon her return. Not too long after, a prank hit the whole school, something she immediately recognized as Gwendoline's brainchild, having been the one that taught her to begin with, but it was a two person job - it was interesting to see the sisters letting loose after leaving Durmstrang behind.

If only Laurie didn't have to go back.

It all culminated just a couple short days after the school wide prank when Colette reached out through her via text, asking her to come visit her at her house. As Laurie read that message, it felt like an alarm had gone off to wake her up from a bad nightmare - she didn't exactly know if the outcome of the conversation was going to be positive at all, but the fact she was willing to grace the Spencer with her presence was a clear indicator of an opportunity to start anew. And, by Merlin, Laurie would take it if it was the last thing she'd do.

Strolling along to the rich part of town, Laurie was greeted by the Auclairs. She figured that Colette had heard her arrive so she only made small talk prior to excusing herself, not wanting to keep the half-Veela waiting too much. She briefly wondered where Gwendoline was but ultimately shrugged to herself as it was unimportant. As she reached the same room she had been dragged to last time she had been in the house, she took a deep breath. The door was ajar. Her steps would've been heard as it was.

"...Hey." She spoke once peeking her head through the opening, the side of it leaning on the door frame. "Mind if I come in?"

Sturt ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Student✩ Tecri
16 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her/Hers

Colette was waiting for Laurie to show up. She had told the other girl to stop by her house since they needed to talk, Colette couldn’t avoid Laurie forever, and, as much as she still resented the brunette, the blonde had to put the past behind her. Was it going to be easy? No, but nothing in live really is, she had to stop whining about the idea of making up and would need to step into it, freely.  She was nervous and it wasn’t too hard to understand that, she had spent a lot of time wondering how that conversation would go that she had probably used all her possibilities in one hour.

Perhaps what had given her the strength to text Laurie had been the current prank Gwen and her, had played in the entire school. It was great watching everyone after the chairs and even being chased by them, among other things and it was a different scenery from her previous school, if they had planned something that big she was sure Gwen and her would be out the door on the next five minutes of finding the perpetrator, but the prank also served to make some memories more vivid. Colette was never one to prank people, either because of the fear of being expelled or because there wasn’t much joy in doing it, but she did like spitting out some ideas. Maybe now she doesn’t need to worry about being expelled.

As the blonde relived the moments at the school, watching the students and staff deal with the chairs, Laurie had arrived; she looked at the girl and motioned her to enter. Colette was sitting on her bed, leaving the small couch next to the window completely free for Laurie to sit if she wanted to. “So…how are you?” Colette asked. She wasn’t sure how she was going to start that conversation; she had accepted Laurie’s apology and she wasn’t sure how she could even reach a middle ground with the brunette. Should she break the ice and bring the chaotic even that had taken the school by surprise?

“I heard and experienced the chair chaos at school, what happened?” Colette asked like she had no idea how such thing could have happened. It wasn’t a hard spell, but anyone who knew the Auclair sisters well enough could easily tell that they were not only the perpetrators but also the masterminds behind that plan.

"Thanks." Laurie spoke up once motioned in. She leaned forwards, letting her own head roll off the frame before opening the door properly and stepping through the entrance to Colette's room, later closing that very door behind herself silently. She didn't think it would keep the Auclairs from overhearing the conversation if they really wanted to, nor did she plan on silencing the room at all, but she felt like it contributed to a much needed feeling of privacy for the conversation that was to come.

"Well, y'know. Hanging in there." Laurie replied, not wanting to go into details about the various pressures in her life just yet. She couldn't risk derailing whatever it was that Colette wanted to discuss (even if the Spencer could take an educated guess as to what it was) and so her own affairs had to take a backseat. She plopped down on the couch unceremoniously in an attempt to stab at the palpable awkwardness for the Sturt's sake - it had always been Laurie's to be so unflappable that such situations wouldn't get the better of her, and as such she had a reputation to uphold.

As she crossed her legs, she was cut off before being able to reciprocally ask how Colette was doing due to a peculiar line of questioning - the Sturt immediately asked about the prank that had plagued the school a couple days before. Was she so anxious to gloat that she had to blurt it out the moment Laurie had made herself comfortable? The Spencer felt quite amused by such a thing. She had suspected Colette had been partially behind the whole thing but that confirmed it. Not only that, it was quite peculiar how she asked what happened when she had just claimed she had been there to witness it.

'Two can play that game.'

"It was probably some Spencer gag." She had caught through the grapevine (or, in other words, Gwendoline) that Colette had a bit of a distaste for Spencers, and so she couldn't resist to prod at the wound, much like back in the day. "The chairs took on a life of their own and acted as if they were Spencers themselves. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was my doing." While she maintained a straight face, despite her major urge to smirk mischievously, her eyes told a different story: she knew. There was no way she wouldn't have known, as she taught the tricks of the trade to one of the culprits.

"Props to the culprits." It was a two person job. Letting a verbal cue slip about her knowledge of the event only made it more fun to her. "The school's been pretty gloomy lately so a prank or two doesn't hurt."

Things still seemed pretty heave between them, it was understandable, Colette wanted to think about the situation and both Laurie and Gwen didn’t annoy her about it, if anything, it seemed that Laurie was growing, maybe the time she spent in Australia did her some good? Guess some people are allergic to strict rules. The girl entered the room, her answer was somewhat vague, and it showed how distant they had grown apart. It was a natural thing in life, people move, things change, people become more mature, it’s inevitable, eventually people stop talking, although in their case it seems that something kept pushing them to communicate a bit more, and Colette wasn’t going to throw away that chance.

As Laurie replied to the prank question, Colette’s expression didn’t change. No one needed to know who was behind such thing, and hearing that it was a Spencer thing didn’t actually bother her. “Yeah probably, you’re all trying to create chaos and all that.” Colette decided to stick to her normal views of the Spencer, while her question could have been suspicious, she was trying to act as if she was still completely innocent and unaware of who might have done it. “I’m not surprised, most Spencers can’t really thinks beyond their perception, so they make everything act like them.” She watched Laurie; the same face that didn’t show a hint of being displeased with the idea that only a Spencer could come up with that. Only her and Gwen knew. “I heard someone was chair surfing, was that you?”

Despite not showing, Colette’s ego might have grown a little bit with Laurie’s input, everyone seemed to think that it was a successful prank, people had fun and Colette had to admit she did too. The act of doing the prank was more exciting than the outcome, sneaking into school with   Gwen, and them still not being completely into the system was a plus, meant they didn’t have to worry about using underage magic outside of school or at home, Colette hopes the sorting takes  long, long enough for Gwen and her come up with something. “I noticed the Quidditch match was hard on everyone, besides the previous events that had happened before so, whoever did it might have taken that into consideration.”

“Aside from all those shenanigans you Spencers are up to, you didn’t seem too convincing when you answered to me earlier. You know, I don’t bite.”

Laurie's eyes glinted with amusement as Colette continued with the false pretense. She couldn't tell if the Sturt genuinely believed her words, or if she had caught on to her knowing the inner workings of the prank itself, and consequently who was behind them. If she didn't believe her, she was sure putting up a fantastic act of the opposite. Perhaps some things were best left untouched, such as the answer to that conundrum. Mystery did add a bit of flair to things at times, and who was she to argue?

"I'm a Spencer too, you know. House pride and all, I sorta have to defend them." Laurie didn't truly care for Houses much at all, yet she couldn't resist prodding the wound. "Though I wish I could find out who the perps were. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand on a future project." Knowing Gwendoline, that would inevitably happen before Laurie had to leave. Perhaps they could think up of something for the End Year Ball that was heading their way as one last big bang before it was time to go.

"But, no. That wasn't me. I did race a friend of mine though. Good thing I'm short or I'd probably have ended up in the hospital wing again." After nearly camping there for a solid week, it wasn't a place Laurie was awfully fond of in the long run. But had the little chair race been worth the risk?

'Abso-fuckin'-lutely'.

"Earlier? You mean, me hanging in there?" That was an odd angle to tackle from. She had expected for Colette to segue into the real reason why Laurie had been invited to her home rather than press small talk like that. Was it just because she was trying to avoid talking about whatever it was for as long as she could, or was it the Sturt's way of showing she still cared greatly for her? "Well, you got that right. Not too convinced of it myself but it's the type of thing where telling myself that will have to do, you know? There's not much more I can do about it past going with the flow."

Yes, Laurie was a Spencer but Colette hardly thought the girl truly cared about the houses, much like Colette didn’t really care much, but it allowed her to predict what to expect from others, after all the Spencers were the pranksters, they enjoyed it, and did it for fun, her, well, she did it as a form of revenge or just because she was bored. If that wasn’t the case Gwen and her wouldn’t have tried the chair prank at the school, which was a success and she couldn’t contain herself, she loved hearing how great the prank was, she was very good at hiding it, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t poke a bit more, to listen to what others had to say about the amazing prank the Auclair sisters had come up with.

“Maybe one day you’ll find who did it. Try poking around your house, I bet it was one of you.” Colette still tried to use the excuse that the prank had been done by a student, a real student, not someone like her or her sister that were allowed to check classes without being enrolled. But hearing the Laurie raced someone on a chair wasn’t surprising, but she would assume the girl was smarter than to try to ride a chair, guess Laurie wasn’t as smarter as Colette thought.

Trying to go for small talk wasn’t a thing Colette liked, but in that moment, she was more interested in what Laurie had to say than to talk about how she was willing to give the Spencer a chance. “Do you want to fight the flow?” Colette refused to let herself go without fighting, even in her previous school, while not as rambunctious as her two closest friends were, she still managed to fight the strict system, in her own way, subtle but it worked. “Seems like you’re in a jam without knowing what to do…” The blonde looked at the Spencer and then looked at her nails, she still tried to show as if she didn’t care, but she was doing a poor job at it.

“Anyway, you know I do forgive you, but … I think we can try to work things out, if you promise to write back this time.”

"I'm sure." Gwendoline was, technically, one of them. Laurie felt like she could have some fun with that little arrangement in the future. With the Auclair sisters playing pranks on the school and Laurie's mentoring association with one of the two, she would certainly be able to help, even if indirectly. Yet, she was starting to hope she'd get a last big hurrah before having to depart. 'Two months on the clock, gotta make it happen quick if I will. Because I don't have more important shit to worry about, clearly...'

She did have more things to worry about, namely regarding her redheaded best friend, and so a prank was a very welcome distraction. Before her line of thought strayed too much, Colette brought up an interesting question. "Fight the flow?" She repeated, although from her tone she wasn't looking for a reply. Instead, something in her eyes let the world know she was taking those words into serious consideration. Indeed, Laurie had never been one to go against the current (save for her Durmstrang days, of course), yet seeing Max in the situation she was in gave Laurie the strength to fight for what needed to be done. Should she really stay put for two months? That time could make or break things between them by the time Laurie had to go.

But what could she do? Colette was absolutely right, and had read through the Spencer perfectly. That realization brought a smirk of good humor to Laurie's lips and she wound up looking down at her knees temporarily while regaining her composure, adjusting herself in her chosen seat and crossing one leg over the other. 'Am I that transparent?'

"Well, thanks. Again." She spoke once looking back at the Sturt again. "Though, I'll do you one better. Not only will I write, and I guess message you since I got a QuillBook thing now, but I'm gonna try to visit. How about that? I'm gonna have six months free before I go freeze my ass off again. Unless my parents haul ass back to Germany, I should stay in Sydney... So maybe I can drop by every now and then."

Colette didn’t consider Laurie to be dumb, sure they were different, they took different approach to things, if Colette didn’t dedicated herself to school and everything she did she probably manage well, but she didn’t want to just manage, she wanted to excel, but Laurie was too chill. The way Laurie repeated the question, the blonde just looked at her, but remained quiet. Whatever was going on with Laurie she needed to decide either to fight it or let things stay the same, and as chill as Laurie was for some things, she was quite the fighting type when it came to others.

She couldn’t help Laurie in that regard, the girl had to decide for herself what to do, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t give her opinion on the subject, even if it didn’t matter too much.

“Sounds good. Even if you stay in Sydney the trip using a portkey shouldn’t be too difficult, and I’m sure mom and dad will let you stay, Gwen might pee herself a little bit though.” Colette enjoyed poling fun at her sister, especially when it came to Laurie as the younger Auclair seemed to enjoy the older Spencer’s company a little too much, and it was amusing to Colette the way her sister reacted, even if not as dramatic as Colette explained it was. She held a chuckle, but it was clear that she was ready to burst out laughing anytime soon if they didn’t change the subject.

“Aside that little issue you seem to have, I assume things are well.” The conversation was still a bit hard to maintain, awkwardness and perhaps a bit of resentment were still floating but with time Colette would reach a compromise with Laurie sometime soon, it wasn’t going to be easy but they were both up to it, which shouldn’t make things too complicated, even if ‘complicated’ was Colette’s middle name.

Laurie couldn't help have a chuckle escape her as Colette put Gwendoline's hypothetical reaction to her sticking around in the house for a while in quite the graphical terms. The Spencer would be lying if she were to say the idea wasn't appealing to her - to be able to stay around for that period of time with the Auclairs meant she got to make up for some more lost time with the sisters, and, more importantly, it gave her some more room to ensure her favorite redhead had less chance of running into trouble. Two birds with one stone, and it was certainly an option to consider.

"Alright, alright. I'll try to talk to 'em. Don't expect anything right away. My mom'll probably want to spend Christmas over at her folks like we did last year. Can't really blame her for that, I missed 'em too. After that, we'll see. Though, you act like you wouldn't be half as happy about it." Colette could poke fun at Gwendoline indeed, but of course that didn't mean she was immune to a few harmless shots from Laurie herself. While she'd normally think it would be far too soon to make that joke, the fact the Sturt had come up with the idea in the first place spoke volumes as to how comfortable she could get at that moment.

Relaxing further into her seat and not sharing the same sentiment of awkwardness, she continued. "It's been a bit... Suffocating in some regards, honestly. Can't really go into details for most of it, but, uh..." Quickly realizing how her words sounded, she put a hand up as if to call a truce. "Don't take that for keeping secrets or anything. It's more like, someone else's personal problems, so I don't really feel at liberty to discuss them, y'know? Anyway, that, coupled with Russian Winter school looming on the horizon, and all of... Well, this." She motioned to the room in general, mentioning the mess she had gotten herself into with leaving in the past.

"Just feels like my brain's about to pop half the time. Stress relief is needed, hence why I gotta find out who did that prank. Have one last big hurrah before I get transformed into an ice sculpture up north."