Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
December, 2019 :: Summer

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Student✩ Tecri
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

Max left the Hospital Wing, it had seemed that her arm still wasn’t healed but considering how the nurses wanted her gone, Max was sent to her dorm quicker than she should have. Luckily for her Laurie was there to lend her a hand and to help her take everything she had down at the Hospital Wing up to her room. Eventually Max had to come clean with everything that had commented, the accident had been a wake up call for Max to start trusting Laurie’s judgement, Laurie wasn’t going to get herself in trouble, but if my any chance Max did, at least the exchange student would know the reason.

The room was as good as new, they had done a great job fixing it, or so Max assume considering the blast might have been strong enough for almost everyone at the school to know that she had been involved in an explosion. She walked towards her bed and sat in it, it was soft and cosy, and she couldn’t feel the sprinkled of the mattress popping out, trying to stab her in the back. She was happy that she didn’t have to continue to sleep in the Hospital Wing, with those awful mattresses that hurt her back and only made everything worse.

“Thanks Laurie.” She thanked her friend but there was something missing, she realized she couldn’t continue to worry Laurie like that. The secrets, dancing around the questions, she had to be honest if she really didn’t want Laurie to get into a dangerous situation. Max didn’t regret the situation she was in, far from it, but she chose it, she was the one that continued to move forward with it even knowing about the danger, unlike Laurie, who would most likely be nothing more than a bystander caught in the crossfire. Could Max really live with herself knowing that she got her friend in danger?

“Hey, I’m sorry about everything, I didn’t mean to worry you.” She couldn’t forget that she would have to talk to Senan too. He was worried, she could see it in his eyes, how worried he was because her. Max couldn’t let them feel like that again, she wasn’t going to allow herself to be put in that situation once more. “How have things been during my absence? Created enough chaos?”

Spencer ☆ Fifth Year ✩ Kirupachi
16 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Laurie wasn't sure how her prized trunk had survived the blast, but it did, only having a few scorch marks to color it on top. It had been quite the surprise to walk in to that room and find Max unconscious a week before. If it hadn't been for Gwendoline's half-Veela strength she would've had some trouble carrying Max all the way to the hospital wing, and it was pure luck that the new Spencer had been by her side when Laurie first came across the redhead. The rest of the room had been destroyed and the exchange student couldn't help thinking that, all things considered, her best friend got off easy from the disaster.

"No problem." She idly commented as she sat down on her bed. Indeed, good as new - it hadn't been for the vast majority of the week as Laurie painstakingly worked on repairing everything, taking it upon herself to handle it all just so not to raise legal questions regarding the existence of her trunk. Not that it was illegal - but she didn't have the papers on her, they were with her father and she didn't exactly know where he was off to most of the time anyway.

"Don't worry about it." A friendly wink followed a small smile in response. She didn't mind taking care of Max so much as she minded the thought things could potentially get much worse in Laurie's absence. "Dealing with the room's kinda been eating up my time lately, but I don't mind that. Not much room for chaos. What's the point of it if I'd enjoy it alone anyway?" She joked. As far as 'chaos' was concerned, she was more the type to follow Max (and Gwendoline as of recently) on their adventures than just doing something on her own; and, with the mounting pressure on all sides, her brain often had little room for any possible escapades.

"How are you feeling? Ready to go kaboom again yet? Or do you feel like you need some time out still?"

Laurie didn’t seem upset, she was however quiet, that wasn’t like Laurie at all. Maybe the explosion had a bigger impact on the exchange student than it did on the redhead, after all, Max was ready for another explosion, or at least to continue to do what she always wanted, with a few limitations, but that didn’t mean they were able to stop Max from running around the school creating havoc, unless they planned to kick her out, which she assumed the headmaster wouldn’t, well, she hopped he didn’t.

“Well, we have to fix that don’t we?” Maybe Max should stop wanting to do more than she could handle, the present was a good example of it. Max shouldn’t have tried such spell alone and it was even a modification of one, one that she had no idea what it was in the fist place. Max should stop and listen to others for once in her life, but it wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. When it came to creating chaos, Max wasn’t exactly ready to get hit again, but she didn’t mind coming up with ideas and letting others have all the fun, she could still have it from the side lines.

It wasn’t time to play, it was time to stop being an idiot. Max had to mentally remember herself that she didn’t want Laurie to be in trouble, and even if Laurie was an exchange student, things could have gone bad if the she had been in the room with Max. “I mean, I’m not ready for another like that, but I’m ready for some new adventure…but…” Max wasn’t sure how to even begin explaining, she was mostly worried about Laurie’s reaction to the information Max was going to give her. “First, I really need to talk to you. You could have been caught in this explosion and I don’t want that…” how was she going to tell Laurie that she could be in danger? Max was in it because she wanted to be, Laurie didn’t sign up for it like Max did.

"Huh...?" Laurie's head tilted ever so slightly as Max claimed to needing to talk to her. That wasn't something she heard every day from her favorite redhead, at least not in such a serious tone. It served its purpose in toning down the younger Spencer's attempt at a cheery and humorous mood as she scanned Max with curiosity. If Laurie didn't know any better she'd say it was about the incident in particular, yet she did.

Her eyes squinted mildly as she thought of how to reply. A knot started tying itself in the pit of her stomach as Laurie came to realize it was likely that her growing suspicions over the past few months would be confirmed and expanded upon, something that made her quite uncomfortable. Shifting in her seat, the girl moved further in her bed up to the point her back was fully pressed against the wall. Once kicking off her shoes she crossed her legs and let her own hands rest upon her ankles, a clear indication she wasn't thinking of leaving anytime soon, or at least until the conversation was over.

"I think it's equally concerning that you were to begin with." She decided to point out. Max wasn't the only one whom had a right to worry for a close friend. Laurie did as well, and the girl's misadventures only made her increasingly worried about how things would be like once the exchange program was over and Laurie had to return to Durmstrang. Even if she had introduced Gwendoline to Max in an effort to keep tabs on her, the fact of the matter was those two girls together would likely put them in more peril than otherwise.

"But, go ahead. I'll listen." Her posture relaxed against the wall, eyes trained on her best friend. Despite her discomfort she made an effort to outwardly remain relaxed, if only to make Max less nervous about bringing things up.

Max chuckled lightly, while she wasn’t particularly in a joking mood the fact that even Laurie agreed with her was amusing. Max was always ready for some adventure, although now she wouldn’t want to go anywhere near something that could potentially make her fracture worse. She was going to stay another year behind, at least according to what she was told, but that didn’t mean that she was going to go crazy, okay, maybe a little bit, bit nothing that could potentially throw her into something that she wouldn’t be able to get out of. A severe fracture wasn’t something she’d want to joke about, but the situation sort of called for it. The topic was heavy, and Max wasn’t particularly sure how to mention it without drawing some suspicion. Laurie would understand, right?

The redhead watched her friend carefully, Laurie seemed calm. “Well…I know you got worried about the accident…worried is an understatement.” Max tried to sooth it down, but, how could she? One wrong movement and Max either would be stuck in a wheelchair or she’d still be in the Hospital Wing. What if Laurie tried something? No, that couldn’t be. Max couldn’t let her friend get into trouble, Max walked into on her own free will, Laurie was going in blind. Max crossed her legs while her arm rested on them.

“First of all, sorry I worried you and second I don’t want you to get into trouble.” Words were getting harder and harder to come out, the choice of words wasn’t exactly the best, but Max couldn’t push forward for it, she had to go in gentle. “I know you worry a lot and … there’s nothing I can do to make you stop, but at least I can stop you from asking too many questions that can get you in some sort of danger.” She finally spoke. She watched Laurie carefully, trying to get something out of her friend. Max was good at reading people and she hoped that skill of hers would be useful around Laurie, at least to disarm if anything goes wrong.

“I walked into this on my own free will, but you … you will fall onto it without even realizing what hit you.” Max was waiting for some questions from Laurie, she decided to stop giving her anything else for now, wanting to see if Laurie had questions about it.

The choice of words hadn't been the best indeed. Laurie's eyebrow raised as Max claimed she didn't want the younger Spencer to get in trouble. Common sense dictated the redhead wasn't talking about pranks, or danger of expulsion, or anything of the sort. Rather, she was talking about something that would potentially endanger Laurie's life, but that also indicated Max's own life was in jeopardy. While she remained calm, every ounce of mirth left in that room evaporated from her face as a serious disposition took hold. She could feel it in her bones, the conversation wouldn't end well; yet, there was no escape.

"Let's make one thing clear real quick, Maxipad." Laurie released a deep breath, eyes boring into Max's as she tried to make known there was no trace of humor in her own words. "If you're in danger, I'm in danger. That's the deal." Danger was not something she shied away from, moreso given what she intended to follow for a career. Yet, for as much as Max may claim she pursued this danger of her own 'free will', she couldn't help but think it was all related to Senan. He was putting her in danger. Love made people blind to what was going on around them and Max's judgement was impaired.

That alone made her dislike for the man jump tenfold in a split second.

"We're way beyond that now. I'd just rather know what's coming before it hits me. Not that I have much more time left to stick around and find out, but it's my free will to ensure you're not getting yourself killed. Got it?" A rare feeling was boiling within her: rage. Not at Max, not at the fact Laurie had to leave, but at Senan. It wasn't even about how Laurie was patently anti-relationships anymore; rather, she couldn't digest the fact someone who claimed to love Max would also willingly put her in danger.

Laurie’s words didn’t calm Max, nor did it help her feel more at ease with being fully honest with the exchange student. She shrugged lightly as her eyes didn’t leave Laurie’s face, she had to walk slowly on the conversation, too much could potentially ruin everything, but too little could also make a bigger mess than it should. “Well, no, not yet but you could be, but this isn’t the point. You don’t have to be because I chose to put myself in the line of fire.” Max herself wasn’t in danger, not now, but she was also unsure how things were going to go in the future, but that future could be one day away or months away, Max didn’t know, it was impossible to predict what was going to happen, and divination wasn’t going to save her ass this time.

Not even Max knew what was going on, no one knew. “I don’t know when, or what, what I do know I already have one person trying their best to ensure I don’t get in the line of fire, I don’t need you to do that too and get in danger as well.” Max knew Senan was doing his best to keep her out of danger, to prevent her from getting in danger and putting himself in the line of fire for her, when she should be next to him. Laurie didn’t choose that, Max did, she could have walked away, she could have just left, and she didn’t.

“Look, Laurie…I know I can’t stop you; I know I can’t prevent you from doing what you want, but please think about this.” She couldn’t exactly chain Laurie down, if she didn’t want to be chained, prevented from doing what she wanted, then how could she do the same to her friend? She didn’t have it in her to do it. “But if you have questions, I won’t hide anything from you.”

It seemed Max hadn't understood what Laurie had meant. The drummer's finger slightly tapped against the bones of her own ankles in a bit of a rhythm as the redhead went on with what ailed her, letting her speak unimpeded. At a point she had to stop herself from digging a nail into the skin of the very same ankles she was distracting herself with, such was the rage she was starting to harbor for the man that had put Max in the position of making such a choice to begin with. At that point, the only reason holding the Spencer back from getting up and marching to the Sturt common room and ensuring he couldn't breathe ever again was the fact Max was in love with him.

"First things first. It's a choice for you as it is for me, and I've made my choice too. It's not something I need to know the details of to decide, trust me." She decided to be more blunt about it since, from her point of view, the redhead wasn't understanding the point Laurie was trying to make. It was hypocritical of her indeed - but if Max was willing to put herself in such danger over Senan, who was she to say Laurie couldn't do the same over her best friend? Actions had consequences after all, and Max had to learn that if she were to drag herself into that type of thing, those who are willing to live and die for her would be inevitably dragged in by proxy.

"Secondly, by now, I thought you'd know me better than that. Maybe I should be offended." Despite her words, she meant it as nothing but a little joke. "In any case, I'll take you up on those questions. Let's start with... What is it I'm in for, exactly? Wouldn't hurt to know the gist of what I'm dealing with here instead of us beating around the bush like we are now. Just sock me in the mouth with the cold harsh reality of the situation, will you?"

It wasn't like she could do much about it unless whatever it was went down in under two months, but Laurie should be prepared in case they got blindsided. 'Plus, I know a thing or two...'

Max was grateful Laurie was willing to go that far for her, she should be happy to have a friend like Laurie, but she was just more concerned over the fact that her friend was just getting into it without knowing the full situation, but, the thing was that Max didn’t know it either, she was just willing to go as far as possible for Senan and she would go as far for Laurie too. Maybe she was being naïve thinking that telling Laurie the truth would help the younger Spencer understand how dangerous it was, maybe Max was just a shit friend putting her friend through such and ordeal. Max closed her eyes to gather her thoughts for a little bit, she wanted to trust Laurie but how Laurie was already saying she would jump into danger for Max was worrying her.

“Senan’s family is complicated, I’m still trying to understand where everything falls, but it’s a dangerous path and he’s between a sword and a hard place.” Senan does what he does because he has no way out, the only way out is to create a third option, an option that can be safe for him. “Remember that bet I lost and had to steal a street sign? Well that day I saw some shadows and instead of leaving I went to snoop…” should she really tell Laurie the story? She couldn’t tell the girl the whole story, at least not things that implicated Senan in serious situations, and her as well. “Well, I got found, he wanted to let me go and we got attacked, if it wasn’t for him, I can assure you, you wouldn’t be here talking to me.” She still remembers the shove, her back hitting the ground, but she doesn’t remember the pain of the arrow pierce through her skin, a detail she would want to keep out.

“That’s the type of danger I might have gotten myself in. He did tell me to leave, to forget. I couldn’t so here we are.” The situation might have gotten a little worse since then, but Max didn’t know how worse and how dangerous it was going to get, it was a question she couldn’t fully answer Laurie, she couldn’t tell Laurie what it was to be exact.

“I think things might get worse, that’s all I know to be honest.”

"So that's where my skateboard went." Laurie joked, albeit with a straight face, as Max described a few things that had happened much earlier in the year. The redhead also had received a letter from the Ministry about improper use of underage magic, something that was no longer an issue at that point since Max had turned seventeen a few months prior, but that only led Laurie to imagine how loose Max had gotten with the employment of the art just to get herself and Senan out of trouble. 'Not much I can do myself in that area, is there? One year to go. And I won't even be here... Maybe I should look into spending my seventh school year here, after this clusterfuck is done with.'

"Well, here's the thing, Maxine. I kinda get why you didn't tell me anything until now, but, think of it like this. Your guy told you to forget about it and you said no, because you care for him. Right? So what makes you think I won't do the same thing to you? I care about you, even if I'm about to get sent to 'popsicle school'." Effectively, Max was her best friend. It was still a bit odd to refer to her as such given Laurie's own past, but it was the truth. And she'd be damned if she let someone she cared so much for face such a thing.

"You got to make your choice then. It's only fair if I get to make my choice now, I think." She brought a hand to her cheek so to scratch it; all things considered, outwardly it seemed the younger Spencer was ingesting the information quite well. "And Senan had to respect your choice, so you gotta respect mine, Super Max. My choice is, I really don't want my friend to go off and face all these dangers without me if it comes to that. And that's all there is to it. I won't be able to do a heck of a lot since I'm about to run off into the sunset and I can't do that whole magic part outside of here to begin with, but you bet I'm gonna put in the work to be able to help you when the time comes."

Plus, she didn't want to walk out on a friend when they could potentially need her ever again.

Max nodded at Laurie. She prided herself in at least being careful about other people’s things, but things hadn’t gone according to plan that day and the skateboard was lost. She still felt bad about it, it wasn’t her skateboard but at the same time it was what had saved her life, if she had taken her rollerblades she probably wouldn’t have been there to tell the story, most likely would be in the bottom of a hole already covered. She couldn’t argue with Laurie’s point of view, she cared for Senan and no matter how many times he tells her to forget she won’t let him do things alone, two are better than one, even if with her presence things do get a bit more complicated, her magic, unlike her peers isn’t exactly a stable one, it’s wild and irregular and one day she’s going to kill someone accidentally because of it. Hopefully it will remain as a joke.

She was still surprised how understanding Laurie was being, maybe she knew how hard it was for Max to tell her the situation, or maybe she was just glad that Max was opening up to her. It was easy putting someone in danger like that, especially someone like Laurie who probably just won’t stay back. As much as Max loved her friend and wanted to have no secrets, that was one that could potentially cost both their lives, or worse, being alive to relive the failure of not being able to save her friend. “It’s not that I don’t respect your choice but, as you said it yourself, you’re going to popsicle school and telling you this only makes things harder, because now you’ll be worried every time I don’t send you a letter on time.” Even if it sounded like a joke it wasn’t one, or at least it wasn’t how Max wanted it to sound.

“I don’t think we’ll have to worry too much about anything for now anyway.” Aside from Senan’s injury Max hasn’t heard anything else and she was sure he would keep her informed, or at least she hopped he couldn’t act like some superhero and go off on his own, if that doesn’t kill him, she will. “But that’s everything, for now anyway. I think things will slow down a little, at least for now.” Many things could still happen, Max just wished they happen after the end of the year, they all deserve some peaceful time together.

"Good thing you'll always be sending them on time, hm?" Laurie countered, half as a joke, half pleading to Max to have the presence of mind to keep herself safe enough to be able to do so. Something in Laurie's gaze betrayed her otherwise cool and composed outward demeanor: they shone with concern, with a need to stay in Australia and watch over her redheaded friend and ensure she didn't dig herself a hole she couldn't climb out of. To leave her in Senan's hands, in particular, was something she couldn't make peace with no matter how hard she tried. While Gwendoline was an upgrade in that department as far as the half-Australian girl was concerned, it was still not good enough. 'If you want something done well, do it yourself.'

"That better be 'for good' instead. You better make sure I actually have you around to visit whenever it is I swim out of that stupid school, alright? Those waters are really chilly and even frozen most of the time, so I need to come back to some warm, very alive arms." A small smile grew on her lips with the extended joke, and she added a mild friendly wink at the end of it. The pair had gotten to an understanding, even if they were somewhat at odds - there was no point in pushing the subject or making it increasingly awkward for the both of them. It was quite difficult for Laurie to cope with the matter but she'd have to make do.

"In the meantime, you know I'm only here for like three months now, right? We should hang out more before I go away. I don't wanna be Apparating to Germany and when I get there think 'ah crap, I wish I took Max skating!' or anything like that. You'll have plenty of time with your boyfriend after I'm outta here, so let's make it count."

Max smiled at her friend, she could understand the concern, but at the same time she would like Laurie to give her some credit. Sure, Max wasn’t exactly the most responsible teen, but she was responsible enough to know when it was time to stop, sort of, while Laurie was concerned about Max, the redhead couldn’t help to be concerned not only about her friend but also about Senan, she hoped she would never have to chose between the two, because if she had to, she wouldn’t be able to make the choice. Chose one and fail the other, there was no way out of it.

“You don’t need to worry about it Laurie.” Or so Max hoped. Their time together was short but it was one of the best times in Max’s life, it was always sad to see a friend go, but at least they were able to keep in touch, there were other things that didn’t require them to just send letters to one another. Max didn’t even know if popsicle school allowed electronics inside like Tally did, but she was sure her friend would be able to smuggle a few things inside, after all, she did have that trunk that could fit several elephants in it without people noticing.

Could she even apparate to Germany? Continental apparition was pretty much impossible, or at least that’s what she had heard, regardless, it was irrelevant.

“How about we visit the park? You take your skate and I take my rollerblades?” she suggested with a friendly wink. They could do plenty of stuff together in three months, all they had to do was be original.