Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring

With Dignity and Grace

Spencer ☆ Sixth Year ★ LilyCat
16 year old Halfbreed Fairy ☆ She/Her

This was the right place, she was fairly certain of it. Aisling had only visited the school a couple of times, with Caitlin, so that she could take a look around, as well as meet the Headmaster. She didn't even really understand the concept still. She was certain that she had grown up just being taught what she needed to know by a couple of mentors, and hardly surrounded by other young people. Could she even recall the face of another that had been her own age? It felt like the harder she tried, the more blurred everything was from before her emergence in the mortal realm with her mother.

It was still strange, a little daunting, but she felt at least confident enough that she could handle it. It was an adjustment, that was all. That included learning to translate between the written language she knew and English and vice-versa. She had been receiving a lot of tutoring from Cate for that, thankfully. Still, it never hurt to study a little extra, and she'd been told that those who were in the group she'd been assigned could gather in this place underground near their sleeping quarters.

Aisling didn't have a dorm herself, for obvious reasons. But she had made a note of where they were, and the communal area near it. And so she had made her way here while she had some free time. No class right now, and Cate was busy, so she made her way toward one of the couches in the room with her translation book, set on being able to at least read English properly, even if writing was a task.

Except the teenager hadn't expected that as soon as she sat down on the cushion, she would suddenly be launched straight out of it a small ways, to land on her rear. She blinked as she looked around. Which pixie was responsible for that?? She furrowed her brow and looked at the chair again as her lips pursed. She would not be put off, this was one seat that would be tamed. And so she dove at it, jumping and landing on her knees on the cushion, intent to grab a hold, except the back reclined before the seat launched her once again, the redhead landing on her rear gracelessly once again.

Spencer ☆ Fourth Year ☆ Spencer Quidditch Team Keeper✩ Kirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Brooke wasn't someone who had a room in Tallygarunga either, in her opinion regrettably so. The ever so cheerful Spencer was made to stay home by her parents so to be able to take care of the dog, Peach, as well as her little brother. She wished she could be surrounded by people like she'd be if she boarded, but she understood her responsibility and didn't fight it. Of course, that didn't mean she never had any business in the common room; in fact, that very same day she had some pairs project to do with a fellow Spencer fourth year that somehow hadn't ended in disaster. And who was she to complain about it?

It was time to go home. Hanging her bag over a shoulder and bidding goodbye to her friend with a free hand, she exited the dorm room and closed its door, walking at a leisure pace towards the Common Room that would then lead to the exit. She came into view just in time to see a redhead being ejected off of a couch, landing flat on her rear in what looked to be a painful landing. For a moment Brooke grimaced but the expression was quickly replaced with the urge to laugh, and she bit her lower lip not to do so.

She couldn't hold that laughter when the girl had attempted the stunt a second time, only to be thwarted the same way. The chuckle escaped for a couple seconds before she covered her mouth, struggling not to let out any more of it; letting go, she held up a finger as if asking for a moment to regain her own composure, clearing her throat while doing so.

"Sorry about that." Was she? It had been pretty funny. "But, you know what they say about trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, right?" Brooke had never seen that girl before, now that she thought about it. If someone had jinxed the couch, it was quite a harsh manner to be introduced to the Spencer House, yet a truly Spencer manner nonetheless.

Whatever kind of strange device or spell was on the couch, Aisling had been determined to try and get the upper hand, and had been about to attempt once again, except that she heard laughter from elsewhere in the room and blinked as her head snapped toward the other girl, blinking wide-eyed at her. It took a moment for her to realise that it was she who was the cause of the other student's entertainment, but once she realised, she looked around and between herself and the seat and slowly began to realise how strange it must have looked. Though she wasn't certain of how entertaining it could be to watch someone being launched. What if they got hurt?

"Apology accepted," Aisling murmured softly, even if she was unsure on the exact reason for the girl's apology. Was it for laughing, or for the stunt with the chair? Was she the one responsible for it? Would it be rude to ask or suspect such? The redhead decided to opt out of those and simply moved to pick herself back up to her feet as she considered the other girl's words, "I... suppose, it was more an attempt to master the strange furniture. I thought perhaps if I could hold onto it quickly enough then it might be thwarted..." She trailed off, realising how silly that probably sounded, but then cleared her throat.

"I'm new," The teenager stated, as though it wasn't quite evident already considering she had only been at the school herself for a couple of days, and the very thick Irish accent in her voice. "My name is Aisling," A small nod was issued with the introduction, "But, Mathair has taken to calling me Ashley or Ash on occasion. I do not mind which name is used."

As Aisling spoke, Brooke adjusted the backpack strap over her own shoulder so it wouldn't fall and proceeded further into the room. As she approached the redhead, her eyes seemed far more focused on the offending couch rather than on the girl talking to her, watching the furniture with wonder as she walked around it. She halted her steps just as she had gotten past one of the couch's sides, tilting her head as her brain turned its gears.

Her eyes widened mildly as the idea came to her as if she had been struck by lightning. 'Oh damn, I can totally use this!' Of course. She had to find out whoever it was that created that little stunt to thank them - she could recreate it in her own and Phoenix's side project! 'People feel like they need to rest, sit down, get thrown off and then look up Sally and Nancy... The idea practically writes itself...!' Hopefully her Spencer companion would like the idea as well. They had to ensure every little detail was impeccable and nothing was left untouched.

When Aisling began to introduce herself, Brooke snapped back into attention and turned to the girl whom was back up on her feet. Fortunately she had managed to catch the gist of the conversation despite her state of distraction. "Well, I don't know who that is, but I'll go with Ash! Sounds easier if you ask me. I'm Brooke. Not from Bourke, though that'd be a hell of a joke. Since you're new, I take it you're yet to run into a whole lotta people thus far?" Indeed, Aisling was new - the fact Brooke didn't know about her much at all was a dead giveaway. She hadn't been the only one of the sort she had ran into recently, however, having led the eldest Auclair sister around the area a few weeks before. Then again, if she was looking to socialize with even more people, she was in the right House as far as Brooke was concerned.

"And, don't mind that thing too much." She waved a hand towards the couch. "Take it as a normal Spencer welcome. A mild one if you ask me." She briefly considered going to get Laurie to dispel it due to her curse breaking chops, but quickly reminded herself that it was likely the Durmstrang exchange student had probably bewitched the couch herself; not only that, but it was far more fun to watch unsuspecting students getting tossed off from the sidelines anyway.

For a few moments, Aisling wondered if she had been heard at all, since the other girl was very clearly distracted by the offending furniture while she spoke and introduced herself. She supposed she couldn't blame her, perhaps there was a concern that it might suddenly come to full life and attack them or something, the imagery itself a mixture of ludicrous, slightly funny, and also somewhat terrifying. After all, those cushions were soft enough, it probably wouldn't take much to smother a person. Aisling shook her head from that thought with a small shudder, before her own attention returned to Brooke.

"I dinnae get the joke," Aisling blinked. Was there a Brooke who was in Bourke? She had no idea, she'd barely met anyone so far, which was plainly obvious as she nodded to the question of whether she was yet to run into more. "Ah, yes. I've not met... well, any other students really," There was an awkwardness in admitting such, but she appeared to be content enough with Brooke's choice of what she would call her. "I meant, Mother... Mathair means mother..." She cleared her throat, making a mental note to try to avoid slipping into the old tongue.

"I see, I did hear that Spencer was the group who were known for tricks and jokes, though that seems like a potentially mean one, if it accidentally hurt someone..." The Fae girl looked at the offending couch once again, wondering why they would be made to toss someone off them, but then she supposed it could seem almost like the couches didn't want anyone to sit on them, resulting in people having to sit on the floor. That was a little funny. She looked back to Brooke though after a moment and rubbed her arm, "So, do you enjoy this place of learning? Matha-... uh, Mother said that it was quite friendly and suitable for all different kinds of people. I do enjoy that it is located out of town, in the middle of woodlands."

Brooke didn't mind much at all Aisling using a word from an apparent different language to refer to someone at all, and was about to tell the redhead to feel free to do so, but stopped herself. Even if Brooke didn't mind, it was likely that other people would; she likely shouldn't get in the way of this girl trying to rewire her brain to say the appropriate English word instead. Instead, she let the matter go and nodded at the question that soon followed.

"You rarely get a dull day around here, so that must count for something, right?" For better or worse, there was always something happened, and it was something Brooke very much appreciated - it kept the rumor mill going, and it kept life from getting boring. It wasn't something very common to small towns around the country (or anywhere for that matter, to her knowledge) but magic always injected some energy into things, especially when careless teenagers were involved.

"There's a lotta colorful folks around here like your mom says, but at the same time we're all split into Houses depending on what kind of 'colorful' you are, I guess. You got sorted into the fun House, congratulations." Of course, Brooke would always happily greet a new Spencer and welcome them to their ranks. Especially at that point, as the rivalry with the Sturts was spiraling out of control. 'I gotta find out who did that thing to the showers, stat...'

"The easiest place for you to make friends will be fellow greens like us, like I said, though there's at least someone accessible in every House." The Sturts were somewhat questionable, but she reckoned not all of them were insufferable. "And if you want, I can introduce you to one person or another. Doesn't hurt to make a bit of a network if you're fresh off the boat, eh?"