Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Student✩ Tecri
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

The protection charm didn’t work very well, or at least she thought it hadn’t, she had asked Laurie to bring it to her, she needed to test it. Ever since Max had broken into the office to check the records, she finally discovered Senan’s birthday, she wasn’t sure if it would be the first one, but it didn’t make sense to lie about it, did it? She wasn’t too sure of her abilities, her magic was weak and highly uncooperative half the time, but the spell seemed easy enough, and with the training she thought it was a good idea to try. She continued to wonder about the events that happened a couple of days ago, the spell went well, except when a random burst of energy threw Max across the room and destroyed half of it, after that, the young redhead had no idea what happened, only waking up in the Hospital Wing a few hours later.

She used the charm on herself and stole a wheelchair from the nurses office, she was blending in into the scenery, as long as she didn’t talk to people they saw her, but they didn’t notice her, it was like she was as relevant as a chair, it was perfect. The spell was working with most of the staff members, and as soon as she took the charm off of her and wrapped it into a piece of cloth, the nurses started immediately to yell at her, sending her off to her bed. Max was taken to her bed once more to rest.

Laying on the bed, she kept calling the nurses, either she was thirsty, either she was hungry, or cold and even one time asked for a book and then declined it that it wasn’t the one she wanted. She wasn’t just tormenting the nurses, she was driving them crazy and the worst was that she was doing on purpose, mostly because she had nothing else to do around the hospital wing.

Hours later, Max calmed down, she laid on the bed, reading some random book that the nurses had given her. It wasn’t a bad book, a crime novel, not enough fantasy and adventure for her taste but it would have to do for the time being. Before she could call the nurse again, for some ridiculous question, she noticed the Counsellor entering the Hospital Wing, she quickly lowered her head and tried to use the charm. “Shit, shit, shit.” She thought as she was suddenly the one under the magnifying glass, she could feel the eyes on her, she felt cornered, there was no escape that interaction.

When someone called her name, she tried to avoid it, but eventually the angry voice of the nurse made Max raise her hand. “I’m here, is someone there for me?” Obviously, the woman was there for her, why the fuck would she be there? Certainly, wasn’t to play cards with the nurses.

Tally Staff ☆ Counselor, Profiler, Author, Psychologist★ LilyCat
121 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

Upon hearing about the incident in the Spencer girl's dormitory, it was of course Caitlin's duty to look up her records... and goodness weren't they some records. It seemed like young Max had a number of issues through her schooling, namely not staying in schools for an overly long time before she had to move on to another due to being suspended or expelled. This was already not good. Though, what had also caught her attention was when her fingertips brushed over a permission slip supposedly from her parent, saying that she was allowed out after curfew, only to discover that Maxine had forged their signature. Normally this was a grounds to contact her parents to discuss the girl's behaviour, however there was something else she picked up from the echo, and once she had read enough, the woman made her way toward the Hospital Wing.

It was upon arriving there that she learned very quickly from the staff that the girl had been making something of a nuisance of herself as well, though in honesty, Caitlin could sympathise. She had never enjoyed being cooped up, especially in a medical ward. And it looked like Max knew that she was thereto see her as well, which should have been expected to happen anyway. A student injuring themselves tended to require the attention of a counselor in order to make sure they're feeling alright. Even more so with Cate's further questions she had in mind.

"Could we have some privacy for a bit?" Cate asked the nurses gently. After all, it was more likely that Max might actually talk to her if she knew they weren't being listened in on. Besides, this was basically a counselling session, which meant she was entitled to her privacy. Caitling waited until the nurses had given them space, before moving toward the bed with a warm and gentle smile for the girl, "Hello Maxine, I'm Caitlin, the school's counselor. I'm not sure we've met properly before," She said easily as she brought a chair over beside the girl's bed. "I'm just here to talk and see how you're doing. That looks like it was some nasty accident that you were caught up by. What exactly were you doing for that kind of explosion?" She queried, crossing one knee over the other and setting her notebook on top of her lap without opening it yet.

The curiosity was getting the better of Max, the more she tried to peek to hear what the counsellor was telling to the nurses, the more she could see how the others were looking at her like she was some kind of lunatic … they weren’t too wrong, but Max wasn’t that kind of lunatic, or at least she hopped that she looked more like the sane type than the type to be locked in the looney bin. Max liked to be free and having someone to go talk to her was always frightening, not even her parents would care too much about her to visit her, maybe a few people would and they did previously, but the tension just kept on pilling up on the young woman’s shoulders.

As the nurses gave Cate some privacy, Max was quick enough to pretend she wasn’t trying to listen to their conversation. She knew who Cate was, she hadn’t met the woman before, but she knew her. She watched Cate, she watched how the counsellor looked at her and smile, normally Max would be all cheery about talking to someone, but this didn’t seem normal, it was too suspicious, that or the girls was starting to adopt some defence mechanisms to stay away from people. Did her exposure to danger made her so cynical about people and their intentions? Max pushed the thoughts away from her head before listening to Cate’s words.

“Hello. I don’t think we’ve ever met actually…” technically Max knew about her existence, she just had never saw the woman or talked to her. She shrugged off the idea of the accident, it wasn’t the first time she got caught in something, she once had been caught in red foam, that became solid, they had to break it to get her out, so she wasn’t a stranger to accidents and injuries. “I was trying a new spell, that it got out of hand, I didn’t count on it being strong enough to push me back.” Max spoke. She didn’t lie, she didn’t want to be caught in a lie, it was dangerous if she did, but she also couldn’t tell Cate the whole truth.

“There’s all there is to it. It was just a side project that went wrong. The room is fixed, and I was the only one injured.” Max’s only concern was getting expelled and hopefully that didn’t give Cate enough reason to do so.  

Making sure that they actually were alone before taking her seat  to speak with Max, Caitlin then studied the girl as they spoke, watching her carefully for anything that might indicate problems or issues. She couldn't really search for anything physical, since the teen was beat up from the explosion, but any kinds of tells that would give her the idea of underlying anxiety or attempts to falsify anything. Interestingly - and amusingly - enough, she was very casual about being vague with her answer to Cate's question, which made the older woman almost smirk slightly. She'd continued on, however, as though to force the subject to a close, and Cate's brows rose.

"Well, that's what I gathered from what I heard about it, but I was actually wondering exactly what kind of spell, since there are not really many that should  have the kind of reaction that prevents someone from even having the injuries healed," Caitlin's head tilted as she regarded Maxine, and it was rather clear that the woman was no dope. She had already figured that it was likely a spell that was far too advanced to be practising on school grounds or without proper supervision, or that it was one that was not allowed. She then slipped her fingers into her notebook and pulled out the document that was forged.

"I'm going to need your trust and honesty regarding this matter, especially since I also know that you forged your parents' signature here," Caitlin tapped the piece of paper, though there was still no anger or impatience. She was calm and gentle, as though having a feeling that there was likely something deeper going on than simply a student who was acting out or doing what they shouldn't. "I haven't contacted them yet, but the forgery is actually quite serious, especially because of the permissions it grants. I know you've had trouble in a number of other schools, so I want to try and help you out so that you don't have to go through the same thing here," She smiled understandingly toward the teenager.

"I really do need some explanations in order to assist you though, and I would rather hear them from you than have to see your room and find out for myself what you were doing, or have to call your family to find out why you feel like you need to have these permissions or why they might not grant them," Caitlin spoke gently, careful because she didn't want to scare Maxine, but to just let her understand that she was trying to keep her from ending up in more trouble than she needed, especially at this time of the year. If she missed her exams or was suspended now, it was going to affect her graduation.

The woman seemed to be taking the information well. Max dance around the question was bound to be noticed, even Laurie could see how Max swiftly tried to avoid going into detail about anything. It wasn’t a matter of not trusting, it was a matter of not wanting others to get into trouble, however, the way the woman was phrasing her questions, it was hard to dance around them without getting caught. Max had to walk carefully not to get caught in a web, if she did, she’d have to burn it down to be able to escape, that meant getting hurt in the process. “It’s something I was testing; modifying spells and get either stronger or weaker versions of them? I found this spell that can make a person there but not there, wanted to give it a shot…kinda landed me in here.” Again, Max wasn’t lying, just avoided to name the spell, she didn’t actually know the spell’s name either, which meant she couldn’t tell Cate.

When Cate spoke about the note, Max wondered how she knew that it was fake, she hadn’t use magic to do it, good old muggle way. The whole thing made Max suspicious of the woman, but when it came to that piece of paper, she had to be completely honest about, there was no way she could escape although, Max found it amusing that Cate wanted to call her parents. “My parents kicked me out or will when I turn eighteen. That paper gives me a bit more freedom.” Could she even tell Cate that her things were in Senan’s house? How was the woman going to react to that piece of information? Or even knowing that Senan and Max were together?

“But, there’s nothing in my room really, just more boxes full of things that my parents dropped off when they visited me, to so kindly to tell me they were going to kick me out.” Max spoke in a slight jokingly voice, perhaps stating the truth more than once was far more painful than she had anticipated it, not that Cate needed to know how it made her feel in general. Only two people mattered in that moment, only two people needed to know, she just had to keep acting like an idiot. “My parents would sell me to a body part collector if they could. I just faked it because I don’t want to ask them for favours.” Maybe Cate could see Max’s point of view, maybe she couldn’t. Max needed that paper, not only was her only way to spend some time at Senan’s with him it was also her ticket to freedom, to get a job that could pay more and would allow her to work a bit later than normal jobs and get more money.

“It’s not because I’m going to go around town shoplifting or robbing a bank or murdering people. I’ll be eighteen in six or seven months, it’s just for this time. And holidays are just around the corner, I’m not doing anything bad.” Max continued to dance around the questions, while giving a bit more of information but still being very careful about what she would tell Cate

"A spell that can make a person there, but not there..." Caitlin's brows rose as she considered the teenager and why she would need that kind of spell or charm, though currently it seemed like it was more about trying to sneak around, which could potentially get her into a lot of trouble with the school. The woman inhaled deeply, before breathing out slow as she thought about this. "Why did you want to test something like that specifically? It's not a standard spell that's taught at this age. And definitely raises a lot of questions," She watched Max a moment, and the girl's reaction to her knowledge of the signature being falsified. The news of her being kicked out, however, instantly caused the woman's back to straighten as she opened her notebook and began writing something down.

"But you are not eighteen yet, and if they have already basically kicked you out... including removing all your belongings from their house and abandoning responsibility over you, then they are breaking the law, Maxine. They can receive a fine, and jail time for that," Cate explained as she wrote, "Until you are eighteen, they either have to maintain responsibility over you, or sign the care of you over to a responsible adult." The woman finished taking the notes, which involved potentially calling Child Protective Services, and looked up at the girl.

"And it's not about what I would find in your room if I checked there, it's about seeing what happened in there for myself," The woman explained in a way, "That's why I'm asking you to be honest with me, because it will be much better on you to do so. You're nearing the end of school, the last thing I want is for you to be suspended, but you need to work with me so that we can avoid it. That explosion could have harmed more people than just yourself, it was reckless to do in the dormitories, where there are other students around." Still, even as she explained, Caitlin's voice was gentle, the woman genuinely trying to figure out how she could help Maxine and why the girl was not only performing experimental charms that apparently made one disappear, but also learn more of her home life, which was sounding worse by the minute.

"It's not about whether you're going to do anything bad by going out, it's the fact that while you're here you are legally our responsibility to keep safe, as well as your parents' unless they have assigned you another guardian, and I've found nothing in your files stating anything as such. And with what you've told me, I think I'm going to have to call Child Protective Services, which is going to get your parents in a lot of legal trouble. It also means you'll need an adult watching over you in the meantime so that they don't try anything," Caitlin nodded gently, already her mind was going over the details of what was going to have to be done, before she placed pen to paper again, "So where are you storing the things that won't fit in your dormitory? There's only a limited space in them, and I'm sure you have more than what can be kept on the school grounds?"

Max was sure it wasn’t the first time some student did some ridiculous spell on the grounds, the way she talked seemed has Max was some mastermind behind an evil cult. “Well making foam with baking soda and vinegar isn’t exactly taught in school either. Do you expect curious young minds to just stick to the curriculum?” Max watched Cate confused, as a student she didn’t see why students couldn’t try other spells if they were illegal. Max wasn’t even trying to hide the reason anymore; she was genuinely concerned that they were trying to limit a student’s willingness to try different things. “I get it it’s a complicated spell and I’m young and stupid. But maybe if we weren’t chased and accused to something shady every time, we tried to learn something new, perhaps we wouldn’t need to hide.” Max didn’t like when people tried to limit her, it was like trying to limit her imagination.

“Technically no, basically yes. My dad’s a lawyer, he knows they can’t kick me out until I’m eighteen, they just gave me the news, dropped off a few things.” Some of Max’s things were in Laurie’s trunk, that thing was huge and could certainly keep almost everything she owned, but she couldn’t let Laurie walk around with it, she would have to go back to Germany at some point. “I’ll go pick the rest when I’m eighteen, that’s the deal, in the meantime my sister is also helping me.” It sounded that the woman was overly concerned about her, that was certainly something unique and strange, and the fact that Max was starting to feel like a caged animal would only escalate her distrust towards Cate. Max didn’t like to be shacked to the invisible chains that the woman wanted to put around her, she had been on her own for far too long to be told what to do and what not to by some random stranger. She had to remind herself, it’s only for a few more months.

“Another adult assigned to me?” Could her sister really be her legal guardian? She pretty much raised Max, there shouldn’t be an issue having the older woman sign something willingly without Max having to forge it again, and her sister was more pleasant than her parents. “I could ask for emancipation...” things were getting complicated, and Max could sense the web surrounding her, trapping her, with no means of escape. “The only thing you’re doing is making me ask them to sign a paper and they will.” The more the woman started to get closer the more Max tried to get away, avoiding the issue and more importantly trying not to compromise anyone else.

“I have things all over the place, friend’s house, my dorm, my roommate’s trunk...” Max tried to avoid naming her friends, aside from Laurie, her roommate, but Cate wouldn’t be able to do much to the exchange student from Germany that was about to leave Australia forever. She could feel Cate closing in, it was just a matter of time before Max decides to stop answering and ask for legal representation, she starting to feel threatened. Even the calm demeanour that Cate had was suspicious, she was like a dog with a bone and didn’t want to let go.

"Actually, making foam is taught in a lot of muggle schools, science projects and all," Caitlin lifted a brow and then shook her head gently, "Students aren't chased for learning something new, it's when someone is very obviously trying to hide something that concerns are raised." She pointed out, "If you had simply asked a teacher if they could help you out then there would have been no cause for concern. Granted, any teacher would be curious as to why you want to learn something as particular as that spell, and rightfully so considering the kinds of trouble once can potentially get into with an invisibility or cloaking spell. It's the job of the staff here to ensure the safety of the students as well as their development, and keep them out of trouble. No one is trying to hinder anyone's learning, we're here to assist with it." The woman inhaled gently, but then she set her notebook on the floor beside her chair and rested her hands on her lap as she listened to Max, offering a nod.

"I'm happy to hear that you have an older sister to look out for you, honestly," One of Cate's biggest concerns so far was that Max may have been trying to do everything on her own, and that was no way for a teenager to have to grow up. She relaxed her shoulders as she listened still, and nodded again, "Whatever you would like to do, I'm only happy to assist with. Whether it's contacting your parents for you so that you don't have to speak to them if you don't want to, or if it's gathering all the information that you need to file for emancipation." Caitlin smiled kindly toward the teenager, "My primary concern is for your wellbeing, which... I know is probably a difficult concept considering what I've read from your school records and what you've told me of how your parents view you." No child should be made to feel like their own parents would sell them to a body part collector of all things.

"I had, and still have, no intention of reprimanding you for the forgery either," Cate said gently, "So long as we can organise for either a designated guardian who does care enough to be involved in your life and wellbeing, or alternatively emancipation and setting you up to be able to support yourself independently, then no one has to know. You can finish your school year without any issue." The woman watched, could pick up on the cues that the girl had been feeling uneasy, and so had hoped to lessen that somewhat, "And you aren't obligated to tell me everything either, Maxine. I only ask because I see a bright, vibrant young woman who I would like to see do well for herself, despite having been made to feel the way your parents have done to you. You deserve better, and if there's a way I can help with that, then my door's always open." She knew what it was like, to rely on oneself, to feel like only maybe one or two people even cared that you were alive, she'd wrapped herself in her own cocoon as a teenager as well, and still did somewhat.

"I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable in any way, too. I guess you just remind me a little of myself at your age," A genuine apology was offered to the girl, with a soft half chuckle, before her gaze fell on the girl's hands and something that glinted from one of her fingers. Tilting her head curiously, she realised that she could feel magic coming off of it, and not just any kind. It was Fae. How curious, "That's pretty," She smiled gently as she pointed it out and then looked back to Max, "A gift?"

Max wasn’t in any muggle school, as much as her mother protested it about her going to on, it was one of the things that everyone in that house was against, but it seemed that adults has a distorted view of the world, of what it’s like to be a teen, be considered young, naïve and childish. The need to keep teens restrained to not make mistakes only to have them made when they are older, and then are shamed for doing so. Adults weren’t to be trustworthy, even when they carried the tittle of Counsellor, or a nice smile. “No teacher would let me try it and wouldn’t even do it with me, do you think I haven’t heard enough ‘No, it’s not in the curriculum.’?” Max spoke, adding a funny face to it. “No adult trusts students enough.” And for the same reason Max’s started to close, she wasn’t going to try to explain herself to someone who probably wasn’t trusting her.

Max’s sister was the person she trusted the most. She was suspicious at Cate’s words, she was growing more and more suspicious of them, but she indulged, maybe she could get something out of it. “So, you’d just help me? Just like that? Help me get freedom? Allowing me to stay here at the dorms until I graduate?” Max wasn’t going anywhere that school year, she knew she was going to stay behind another year, and that year would be enough for her to manage to get something for herself. But it was a foreign concept, having someone worried, wanting to help her, and generally concerned, but Max liked to do thing on her own, she didn’t need anyone’s help, she just needed to be left alone to do her own thing. Was that too much to ask?

The woman seemed honest about it, but was she willing to trust a complete stranger? “You know, you keep saying I’m going to finish my school year. I’m not graduating this year.” Max wanted to make that very clear, meaning she could still stay at the dorms, not matter what. It seemed that she was starting to loosen the web to escape. The young redhead remained quiet as Cate continued to talk, mentioning how bright Max was. She wasn’t stupid as stupid as many thought she was, maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed but she managed.

A smile appeared on Max’s lips as the woman apologized, Max was uncomfortable and she was still suspicious, but the apology seemed honest, she had to trust her instincts. “Apology accepted. The spell was a mistake, I should be more careful or ask for help.” She should have asked someone with better magical skills, like Laurie, or even Chloe. Max couldn’t imagine the damage if she hadn’t been studying with Chloe. The young Spencer’s eyes fell on the ring. She was attached to it and the person that had given it to her, she wasn’t going to let him down. “Yeah, given to me by family.” Max’s hand moved to touch the ring and spin it on her finger. Senan wasn’t related to her by blood but he was family, she loved him more than she loved her own.

"Trust is a two way street. Whether between older and younger people, parents and children, siblings, strangers... But because some teachers have not agreed to try and help you learn something before, it doesn't mean that all won't. At least, personally speaking, my stance when I was raising my niece was that as long as she was honest with me then I would try to support her as best as I could. And I try to do the same with students," Caitlin spoke gently as she offered a gentle smile. She knew the feeling all too well, remembered very clearly her own distrust of others in her youth, struggling to do everything herself because she only had herself. It was not an easy life, and she was simply glad that Maxine did seem to have at least a few people that she could apparently rely on, even if she didn't trust teachers.

The news that Maxine was being kept back was new to her though, it hadn't been in the girl's recent reports and so she concluded that it must have been a very new piece of information, or perhaps the girl's own prediction of what she expected due to her performance this year? It wasn't often that anyone was really held back in their final year, not unless they were practically a danger to themselves and others because their scores were just that bad.

"That's news to me, since it's not been recorded yet that you're staying back a year, but I'll make a note of it later. Who actually told you that, if I might ask?" Caitlin queried with a tilt of her head. It was at least something that she should definitely have been informed about. She was supposed to be able to counsel students, and someone who was being held back definitely warranted a little extra attention, or at least be asked to speak with her about their options for the coming year and how to make things better for themselves. However, she then smiled again and nodded, "Of course I will help you to get your freedom, and be able to stay in your dorm. My job is to assist the students in being able to do the best for themselves, Maxine. I'll help you to organise a part time job so that you can support yourself, and make sure that you have proper representation for your emancipation, and whatever else you need assistance with," She nodded, picking up her notebook a moment to jot down a few more things for herself to remember, not that she ever forgot.

"Thank you. And if you do want some help with something in the future, you are always welcome to seek me out. Even if it's not something I know much about, I know a lot of different people, and certainly there would be someone who can," The woman beamed warmly toward Maxine, her smile even brighter as she watched and listened to how she considered the ring. The woman then pulled the sleeve of her blouse from her wrist to show off a small silver charm bracelet with a number of intricate silver charms of all kinds of creatures and figures. Taking it off, she set it on the bed a moment and then tapped the head of one of the charms, and suddenly they all seemed to come to life, detaching from the bracelet and prancing around, dancing or goofing off. "Gifts from family are always important," She murmured gently as she watched the charms, "This was from my brother. He was the only person I had growing up. I didn't trust anyone else. So, when I lost him..." She trailed off as she smiled sadly.

"It's why I try to help young people like yourself, Maxine. No one should have to struggle on their own, or feel like they can't trust anyone. I'm happy you have at least a couple of people you can rely on though. But my door will still be open if you ever need another," Looking to the girl again, she offered another gentle nod, before holding her hand out onto the bed for the charms to climb into her palm, carrying the bracelet with them.

Trust…Max still didn’t trust Cate, but she was giving the woman the benefit of a doubt, her instincts were giving her mixed signals, sometimes they tell her to run and sometimes they tell her to stay and trust. Running was always the best option, the less she spoke the less she had to deal with people, while some could be trustworthy, others were not. The way Cate smiled at her it felt Max feel strange, she needed to look at the woman’s eyes, was it genuine? Or was it all a lie? The eyes wouldn’t lie, that much Max knew, she had learnt tricks to help her avoid certain people. Cate’s words meant something to Max, the way she spoke about helping her niece sounded honest, but it also sounded like something someone would say trap another person. The thought alone led Max to shrug at the words spoken by the older redhead.

The news of Max staying behind weren’t that new, but perhaps they were just waiting to see if her performance would improve? She wasn’t planning on taking the exams either way, and now with that arm she was sure she wasn’t going to even worry about it. “I don’t really plan on going to the exams either way.” Max avoided the question; she didn’t want to tell Cate the conversation she had with the Professor, it had been their conversation, but perhaps the Professor was just waiting to see how well Max did on her exams. But the concept of being helped by Cat was still confusing Max. Why? Max’s main reason to suspect the woman was, why was she doing that? Was it really from the goodness of her heart? Max didn’t really have a choice. “Thank you.” Was all she could say, she couldn’t argue anymore about it.

Max smile lightly at Cate, the talk about her ring did fill her heart with joy, she loved the ring and she loved who has giving it to her, but instinctively her hand covered the silver ring, a moment of sadness filled her heart, if she had it, what about him? Her thoughts were interrupted as she watched the bracelet carefully, it was a neat trick, Max could only make silhouettes dance, nothing as fancy as Cate’s bracelet. The woman was right, gifts from family and loved ones were important. “You never truly lose anyone. They are still alive in memories and words.” Max’s view of the world wasn’t the normal view most people did.

“Yeah I do have a few people that care for me.” She admitted it was a hard thing to do, she was so used to do everything alone that having someone out there was a foreign concept. Max look at the bracelet and smiled lightly, just like before, it was a cool and fancy thing Cate could do.

If looked in the eye, it would be very clear that Caitlin was earnest, both in what she had said about raising her niece, and about wanting to be able to help. She genuinely cared, and even appeared to understand the difficulties in trusting others. She could empathise with the hesitation in doing so, even at her own age and with all her experiences, Cate still had a hard time herself in being able to rely on others. She didn't push anything though, and simply offered a gentle nod as the girl mentioned that she didn't intend to take the exams. The woman supposed that might be for the best, especially since it seemed the girl had barely turned up to classes this year.

"Well, when you're up to it, then I would like to discuss your options for study next year, and what kinds of plans you might have for your future. There's no rush though, take some time to think about what you'd like for yourself, and then maybe we can work out what studies will be best suited to what you want," Caitlin nodded with another warm smile. At least taking another year to study was better than simply deciding to drop out, it would grant Maxine more options for her future, in case she decided that she wanted to go on to further studies.

"I agree, we always hold those important to us close to our hearts," The woman nodded gently, her free hand going to the chain she wore, which appeared to have two pendants hanging from it, a violet and a green. Her gaze took on a faraway look for a few moments, before her eyes closed almost thoughtful. She then opened them to look upon Max again and there was a sad tiredness in her gaze, "Still, I was very much alone, fresh out of school, and suddenly the sole carer of my baby niece. I didn't trust anyone, and that meant I missed out on a lot of my youth. It's hard to enjoy being young and carefree when your life revolves around trying to balance work, study, and the wellbeing of a child - not that I'm implying that you're going to be caught in that situation." Cate chuckled softly, "But definitely, enjoy being young while you can, especially if you have others who care about you." The woman nodded lightly, her gaze then shifting to the charms that were dancing in her palm.

"You seem like a lovely young woman, from what I've been able to tell so far, Maxine. I would really like to see you live your best life," Caitlin said softly as her bracelet charms seemed to return to their original places and become inanimate once again, before she put the jewellery back on. She then looked to the girl with another small smile, "When you've recovered more then I'd like to talk with you again about your options for gaining independence, and go over any ideas you have about what you would like to do when you finish school, if the latter is something you would be up for talking about anyway. Does that sound alright to you?"

Discuss her options? Max knew exactly what she wanted, she also knew she wanted to pursue her studies in VMU, if possible. Her love for the outdoors and adrenaline, her desire to be free and not like a nightingale locked in a cage, sang for her to chose something that makes her heart wander, searching for places of wonder never seen before. Yes, that’s what she wanted, to live the life of a traveller visiting place to place, learning, absorbing knowledge, the opportunity to jump from the highest waterfall, explore the deepest parts of the ocean, walk between the highest trees with the deepest roots. Visit endless prairies and explore every corner of them. Max’s desire was a dream, but after knowing what she knows, she’s certain she can find it all.

She nodded, agreeing with Cate. Max held everyone she cared close to her, but she had little space for those she didn’t care for, it was hard being in that list, but it was possible. The young Spencer watched the redhead carefully, Max’s eyes never left Cate’s expressions and reactions to everything, but eventually Max had to give up, there was nothing that was indicating that Cate wasn’t being honest about anything. “Oh no, no. Where would I even get a child?”  Max didn’t want to be a mother so soon, especially when she can’t even take care of herself yet, let alone a child. Max wasn’t the smartest tool in the shed, but she knew the implications of it, and she didn’t want anything to do with that for the time being. What was that woman even thinking? Was she high on something? Had that bracelet drugged her? Had the woman eaten some hallucinogenic mushrooms that day? What the fuck was going on with the staff nowadays?

Was Max lovely? Probably, she was pretty darn cute, but that was all she was. Cate probably said that to everyone, and while Max appreciated the thought of believing that someone who didn’t know her thought that of her was somewhat ridiculous. But if Cate was there to help Max didn’t see a reason to say no, but first, Max needed a job. She had mentioned it to a few people already who were down to help her, especially Sam who worked at a local bakery, she would prefer to rely on Sam, who was her friend than in the woman in front her. “I mean, I know what I want to do when I graduate, that’s an easy question, I want to go to VMU.”