Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring

Tally Staff ☆ School Nurse✩ Tecri
25 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her/Hers

After asking May to stop by for dinner the next day, Liv had to make sure she wasn’t going to blow it out of proportion. The dinner was something simple but she didn’t bother to keep the new inhabitants of her house hidden, May shouldn’t have a problem dealing with Sigma and the kittens, they should all be adorable and cuddly as usual, unless they decided to hog Liv’s bed, which was also a possibility. She still wasn’t going to worry about them roaming around or doing whatever they wanted. She used magic to cook dinner, unlike other occasions it was just best if it went that way, last like she tried to cook she almost chopped off a finger by thinking too much about things she couldn’t change.

May arrived and dinner was ready, they barely had anytime to chat before the food was waiting for them at the table, maybe they could talk while they eat? Maybe after? Liv wasn’t sure how to do that, it had been a while since she and May shared something like that, alone, away from prying eyes. It was an awkward situation, it brought some memories, all good ones, but then it came the bitter taste. Liv opted to ignore all that and just focus on the events of that night.

At the dinner table, Liv smiled at May. “Sorry about the mess…just…it’s been hectic.” May probably knew that, Liv had talked to her the day before and the young Dhampir could see how it was affecting the half-veela, more than she would admit to anyone. She was alright, it wasn’t with her that people had to worry, it was about the young man who had lost his mother. “How are you? Since yesterday I mean.” It was getting a bit awkward, nothing they couldn’t push through.

Liv started eating and the first part of the meal went by without a problem, but now it was time they started to chat about the real reason why they were both there, to brainstorm a plan to do something unthinkable. “So, how do you think we should start with the plan?” Liv wasn’t even sure if it was going to work out. What was she thinking? When the heat dissipated, she started to realize how deranged she looked, how she had reacted, but they still needed to get through the plan, regardless. “I was thinking, caging a werewolf isn’t easy and we’d need lots and lots of silver, do you think we can get it in time?”

Ministry ☆ Bounty Hunter✩ Kirupachi
27 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

Like it had been agreed upon just the day before, May had made her way to Olivia's new home late that afternoon for dinner. It suited her well as the sun still set early enough that it wouldn't threaten to burn the Dhampir's skin at that hour without her having to use sunscreen, a hat, or any additional precautions against the deadly sun. Even then it had been a bit of a cloudy day, so perhaps it was the case she wouldn't have much trouble making it anyway. She felt somewhat uneasy about the meetup - she had the feeling it would be about the case rather than a simple hangout between the two, something she wasn't too keen on. While rationally knowing it not to be the case, it gave off the impression Olivia was only dealing with her because she was of some use to her cause.

Much like every other day ever since her not-so-triumphant return to Narragyambie, May kept a little more than an arm's length of distance from the Veela from the moment the door was opened. A small smile twitched upwards in her lips as a greeting. Her nose told her dinner had already been prepared; and as she was borderline rushed towards the table instead of being given a tour, May picked up on there being some urgency to the topic. As she sat down her legs pulled back to rest under the chair, ankles crossed as the two former Bourkes started dinner.

"I'm alright." There wasn't much to say. She couldn't talk about her work due to confidentiality and they had seen each other twenty four hours before. "And you?" There hadn't been a whole lot of changes to her own life. Most days were dull and she spent them inhabiting the Kaizen Narrie Dojo, occasionally taking a break to visit one of her friends. Time went by very slowly in between tasks as she felt like she had nothing to do and wasn't a staple in other people's lives anymore, save for a couple of exceptions.

As soon as Olivia started talking about the case, May released a deep breath of frustration despite her visage remaining otherwise stoic. 'Oh well.' At least Olivia had put in some sort of effort to break the ice at first. Despite the skepticism building up in the back of her mind May opted to believe the minimal interest in her own well being had been genuine rather than for the sole purpose of smoothing out the path to that particular conversation.

"I think it's difficult to make a proper plan without having much information." She was used not to be given a whole lot to work with in the Ministry but at least they did give her a skeleton of who she would be going after and what to look out for. At that point she could only make educated guesses but even those could fail at times and doom an entire operation. "How much silver we'll need will depend on how the plan comes out in the end and we can't forget to prepare the wolfsbane. I'm going to try to work out a deal with an alchemist I know, maybe that'll help our cause if push comes to shove."

She was suddenly not very hungry at all despite being well into the meal proper. That topic was not, by far, what she wanted to tackle that evening. "Though, I've been mulling it over a bit. We'll have to lure it out. If this werewolf wants to get under the kid's skin, I'd say it's unlikely he'll go after him directly... And I'm entirely unrelated to the matter, so I'm not of much use there either. That leaves you."

Bait. One of the more certain paths to a proper plan was to use Olivia as bait. Despite how sickening the thought was, the sheer irony of the situation caused a smirk to mold the Dhampir's lips and she had to look away for a second to keep herself from laughing. How could have May been such a fool to think staying away would keep Olivia safe? If she hadn't been there at that moment the half-Veela would likely be getting herself killed instead.

Liv had to take it slow, it had been a while since these two had shared a meal and things could get emotional, but Liv was taking baby steps into forgiving May, to rebuild their friendship that hopefully could be rebuilt, but that continued to be a huge pressure on her, her memory wasn’t simply wiped out. The heart still hurt just thinking about it, but she couldn’t say that she wasn’t trying her best. “I’m good, still a bit … emotional I guess…” she needed to let it go, she couldn’t be stuck with it for the duration of her dinner with May, but she was having a hard time doing so, it was clear that she was, especially due to her questions.

“Sorry, just … it’s hard not to think about it.” she had to admit her limitations towards it, especially since she was so close to it. She couldn’t stop how she felt, she could only try to keep it under control, and she wasn’t even doing a good job at it. Maybe she should just keep quiet about it, try to relax and enjoy the meal. Learning that May knew an alchemist came as a surprise for Liv, perhaps it shouldn’t. She still didn’t know what May’s job was, but it was dangerous, she shouldn’t be surprised the young Dhampir would try to know people from various backgrounds of activity.

What May said made sense, it went after the mother on purpose, it could have gone after Travis, it knew where he lived and if they needed bait, Olivia could work as it, she was quick enough to turn into her animagus form without being caught, while she had played tag with Travis, a much more inexperience hunter, she always flew relatively close to him on purpose. “Yeah, I think I know who to use as bait … but I think we should wait, you’re right, it’s like thinking ahead when we don’t know what’s to come.” She hardly doubted that they would let her do such a foolish thing, but she was determined to try, the worst that could happen was dying.

Olivia started to eat, peacefully, slowly looking at May, every now and then someone could see a smile on lips. She was happy that May was alive, and she seemed fine, and while she was still hurt, she wanted to leave the past behind. “So, what have you been doing since you got back to Narrie?”

For as emotional as Olivia claimed to be, at least she was getting a hold of herself at that moment as indicated by the lack of a scolding hot temperature threatening to burn May's skin away. While there were still pressing matters that kept her from getting too close that was most definitely one that wasn't a big deal anymore, and it was something she found commendable given how fresh they still were from the whole ordeal with the werewolf. Perhaps it was an indicator that May's pessimism was misplaced.

Nevertheless, seeing Olivia as bait in her mind made her less and less hungry over time, more than she already had been from the approach of the subject alone. Her fork idly stabbed at a portion of the food for sometime before she bothered to puncture it so to be able to properly digest it. The one foot she had against the floor lightly wiggled up and down as a means of distraction, so to release the pent up tension that was threatening to overtake her every pore.

"Working. Training... A lot. I think I might as well live in the local dojo now." She lightly joked in an attempt of injecting some energy into their exchange. "Things have been coming along better than I expected them to in general. I've been trying to get a bit closer to Ian too, but it's... Difficult."

The good humor lessened in her face as she shot herself in the foot with her own words. "Any tips?" It was the price of being honest. It was hard to connect with the boy. He was perfectly okay as far as she could tell, yet their background made it so she frequently thought she wasn't equipped to deal with it all in any way.

Shutting all her emotions, or at least act like they don’t exist wasn’t Liv’s style, but she was working hard for everything to move smoothly between the two. They shouldn’t argue, especially not at that moment. She adjusted herself on the chair continued to eat peacefully as she waited for some kind of reply from May, one that Liv was expecting to be avoided in the first place, which came as a surprise when the Dhampir answered without dancing around it like she was trying to avoid a minefield. Should Liv start to trust May once more? Or will it be too soon for it to happen? The thoughts that rushed through Liv’s head were met with May’s answer, making the young half-veela travel back from dreamland.

“I don’t think they let you live at the Dojo.” Liv chuckled, trying to follow up on the joke, but it felt a bit forced, like it wasn’t meant to happen. The stress of the dinner was yet to get to her, but it shouldn’t take long for her to feel anxious about it. Did they change that much that they couldn’t have a decent meal with one another without turning it awkward? When May mentioned Ian, Liv smiled, she liked the young man’s company and he was nice and sweet, very caring with everyone, it shouldn’t be too hard for May to get closer to someone who can quickly make friends.

“Hmmm well, why not invite him to your house more often? Family dinners and whatnot. Sign a paper that allows him to break curfew to have dinner with you.” Liv suggested. Some students boarded but they also had the town’s house, they could choose where to sleep, maybe if Ian had that opportunity, they could get closer. “Ever considered talking to him about it? I’m sure he’ll love the idea.” Liv spoke, trying to be positive. She wasn’t sure if May would even accept that option, but it was just a matter of time.

Albeit forced, the little joke batted back at May served its purpose, even if temporarily - a small smile fit her lips and contributed to her relaxing minimally despite the circumstances, not quite picking up on the fact that Olivia hadn't wholly shared the fun of the little exchange. It made for an easier time to get the conversation flowing, at least in the Dhampir's end: the ice had been broken and she could proceed without awkwardness plaguing her every potential word.

"I could do that, yes..." She nodded in agreement. May had picked up a thing or two about cooking the past few months out of pure boredom. Perhaps she should show her half-Veela friend what she could do if they were to ever meet for a meal once again in private, something she was starting to hope to be the case more than she likely should. "Gives me an excuse to find out what's his favorite dish, if anything else."

Finally, she was able to take an additional bite out of the meal. She was starting to feel bad, not wanting to give off the impression the food wasn't any good due to May's sudden lack of hunger, and decided to force herself through it for Olivia's sake. "Though.. It's more complicated than that, I think. We've been spending time together. I go give him blood at school, I sometimes take him home with me so we can train properly, and sometimes I take him to Mrs. Kempsey's, but..."

She wrinkled her nose minimally, a rare display of emotion - the matter was getting to her. She felt like a fish out of water discussing that very topic - she was someone whom was rather gifted socially despite her otherwise stoic demeanor, and to face a brick wall like that was quite jarring. "...I feel like he doesn't want to let me in, if that makes any sense. And, I get it too. He didn't know me much at all before, and I guess he doesn't now still. Maybe I'm just a bad reminder of the past, which I guess is a bit of a running theme nowadays... Another way of putting it would be I'm starting to feel a bit 'inadequate' in the role of older sister."

The young Dhampir seemed to be taking Liv’s ideas into consideration, or at least was just saying that so that Liv could leave her alone. It was tricky situation. They promised to be honest with one another, but was Liv really that willing to forgive without thinking about it twice? She had to admit to herself that she wasn’t, and that she was trying. May deserved a second chance, everyone does, May was no different and cutting May’s opportunity to do so wasn’t fair. The opportunity to stop being reminded of the past was tempting but Liv did want to put everything behind, and that meant she had to trust that May’s words weren’t just to make Liv happy.

Ian was a sweet boy, Liv couldn’t see why May was having trouble with Ian, but before she could even speak to say anything, May continued to explain to her what was happening. The young nurse got a glimpse of their dynamic, and while she wasn’t a counsellor, maybe the problem could be fixed easily. “Why don’t you be more honest with him? He’s a smart kid, he’ll know when something is up.” Liv didn’t know the kid that well outside school, but he visited her regularly at the Hospital Wing, and for what she knew of him he was very easy to talk with.

“But I’m sure if you allow him to visit you whenever he wants and even stay with you, things will get better. Maybe he just needs some time to get used to it, or maybe he doesn’t know how to act around you either.” The same way they were dancing, Ian could be doing something similar, scared not to be enough for May, or that she will leave him again. Being indifferent could be the boy’s defence mechanism to potentially being left behind.

"I am. I'm trying, at least..." May's brows furrowed as she looked down at her food. Did she truly give a dishonest impression? She wasn't one to lie as a rule, yet the fact of the matter was she had always been a highly reserved individual whom was reluctant to talk about herself. Even at that moment it was being quite difficult to open up to Olivia, someone she saw as the love of her life, let alone talk about such things to a kid she hardly knew even if they shared a bloodline. Yet, she grew increasingly aware that withholding such information could be potentially perceived as lying by omission.

'My life will never get any easier, will it?'

"But, even so... I feel like there are some things going on he's too... Young, to process." She confessed. "Some things he's better off not knowing, for his sanity. It's not anything that would endanger him, but..."

A frustrated sigh escaped the Dhampir. She was falling into the same pitfalls she fell with everyone else, yet she had little choice but to do so. The matters at hand were highly sensitive, and if it wasn't a matter of her keeping everything hidden, it wouldn't be a matter of her revealing everything either. There had to be some sort of equilibrium she'd have to find so to determine what was wise to hide and what she should reveal, yet her gut told her it was an incredibly bad idea to be so upfront with Ian of all people.

"...I hope it's how you say it is." She ultimately spoke with a nod. "At this rate I've been here with him more time than I have been before he even made the trip. Makes sense for him not to open up to a stranger overnight."

It was hard to try and open up to people, talk about problems and situations and even getting closer without tripping on a bomb and making it go off, but that was their situation in that moment, not particularly towards one of the other, but also towards others that were left behind without receiving an explanation. Liv too had left, she understood the complications of making peace with those left behind, but May wasn’t lying, she was trying, and she seemed to be trying as hard as she could to make sure things were good between them. It mattered more to Liv that May was trying than the actual outcome of their … whatever they had at that moment. Everyone will be alright, right?

“You don’t have to tell him everything, feed him bits and pieces of information, but don’t leave him in the dark.” Liv was talking from experience on that one. White lies served to spare someone of a painful information, but they also grew like a snowball rolling down a hill, growing bigger and bigger until people are finally caught by it, the outcome will eventually hurt more than information being given in small doses. Liv would have preferred that May had been completely honest with her years before, trusting didn’t go easy and they were taking so long to clean the mess, hopefully May won’t make the same mistake with Ian.

“Look, trusting isn’t easy. He spent so many years without you that he probably thinks you’ll leave again. I’m not in his mind but give him time.” Maybe Ian felt like Liv did, not wanting to get too close, afraid that May would disappear again. It was still a chance, they both needed to follow their paths and perhaps those paths didn’t include one another, Liv just hopped that May didn’t decide to leave without saying anything again.

“Don’t worry too much, take it slow. Baby steps, right?”

May nodded with Olivia's advice. "That's what I've been trying to do. But it's... Hard, to talk about certain things." Like it was hard to talk to the woman before her about the life May had destroyed between them. It was so difficult, in fact, that the Dhampir had vowed not to bring it up if she could help it - she had to start anew and keep what she could salvage, not reopen old wounds. Nevertheless something in her strangely compelled her to go into detail about it. Perhaps it was her unwillingness to let go.

Olivia's words stung despite the rationalization, however, and May grimaced minimally, uncharacteristically. "...I can see how he'd think that. I can see how anyone would." Her gaze fell on her food once again. It was the price to pay for what she had done, but, ultimately, what choice did she have? She couldn't say she regretted it. She saved many people's lives in doing what she did. Ian was still around because of it. It was a harsh reality she had to contend with, and for the time being, one she had to grapple on her own.

"I know my words don't mean much right now, but, I won't." She shook her head, bringing her gaze up once again to look at Olivia. There was strong determination in her eyes despite her composure, the type that meant May was determined to do what she spoke of even if it took her to an early grave - which, in all likelihood, it would. "I've done everything in my power to ensure that. But... I guess there's no real way of proving it right now, is there?"

The fork lightly played with the food on her plate as she took a deep breath. She meant that for Olivia herself as well, but with her she had even less of a right to bring stuff up than she did with Ian, or so she felt like; but she had promised to be honest. And honest she would be, even if it killed her inside. "But if what I'm saying is true, I have all the time in the world to prove it anyway. So I guess I shouldn't worry so much indeed, just like you say..."

A chuckle broke out, and she shook her head. "Sorry. Some realizations I've been coming to lately have instilled a bit of a masochistic sense of humor in me."

If May thought that Liv didn’t understand, she was being extremely naïve about it. She understood it, she knew how hard it was to express certain things, especially things that were hard for the other person to hear, but in the end people had to be honest about it, maybe not right away, but eventually Ian will need to know about it. Olivia looked at Mat and shook her head. “Look, I’m not throwing this at you. Everyone makes mistakes, thinking that whatever they are doing is somehow the only option.” Probably the worst thing was not being able to help, the helpless feeling a person felt when they wanted to help a friend but couldn’t, Liv could understand it better than most. “Just, don’t make him feel useless. Ian might not understand but he can feel something isn’t right.” Ian was probably better at it than Liv was, considering his senses could pick up minimal things.

Hearing that May wouldn’t leave, gave Olivia a false sense of security. The young nurse wanted to believe that, but at the same time fear took over her once more, only time could tell if May would leave again or not. “Just give it time, things need time to grow and I don’t think one should lose hope, yet anyway.” Liv was mostly talking for herself. She wanted to believe May’s words, she wanted them to be true and while she couldn’t fully believe her, she had hope that one day she can trust May again like that.

Liv took a bite of her food, watching May play with what she had on her plate. What was going through the young Dhampir’s mind? Liv was truly curious, but it wasn’t the time to ask her that, not yet. “As I said, give it time.” She spoke before hearing May chuckle.

The half-veela’s lips grew into a confused smile as she watched May. What was May saying? What did she mean by that? Could Liv ask? Was she even allowed to do so considering everything that had happened between them? “Would you like to explain what you mean by that?”

May cleared her throat as the mild chuckle died down, although a small smile of good humor remained spread upon her lips. She hadn't had the chance to laugh like that in a long time, and the notion that she had to laugh at herself to get it out of her system made her want to laugh even harder than she had just then. She felt bad that she had burst out laughing without even explaining what was so funny, as proven by the sudden questioning, although she had the feeling Olivia wouldn't share the mirthful point of view of the situation.

"Well, on topic... I find it funny to think I have all the time in the world, when I don't know if my job will lead me to a dead end or not. Or if the family's past will catch up with me." She started explaining, but realizing how she wounded, May was quick to backpedal. "I don't mean I will leave. It's more... My tasks sometimes require me to be away for extended period of time, and on top of that, they're very high risk, so... I just never know."

It was a hard thing to admit. Technically she wasn't allowed to divulge what sort of deal she was involved in, but she had already breached protocol the day before to begin with. It wasn't like things would get much worse. Plus, she had indeed promised she'd be entirely honest with the woman - outside of purely confidential information, May was willing to impart anything asked of her, for as difficult as it would be.

'I do hope she never asks for certain things.'

"And... Earlier, I also came to the realization things are better off with me here, than without. I left to protect people, but, with you getting in trouble, it feels like it's better for me to be around to look out for you. Though at the same time, if I hadn't left, Ian likely wouldn't be alive, so I can't regret my decision. Feels like a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' type of situation, so, it's funny to me. Hence, masochistic sense of humor." If she hadn't learned to laugh at herself, she'd likely have pointed her wand to her own head a long time ago.

Was it funny? Perhaps for the young Dhampir it was, but it certainly wasn’t for Liv. It would be ironic if the universe suddenly decided for May what she should and shouldn’t do, but it wasn’t a good thing. The young veela looked at May, she wasn’t finding that idea amusing, mostly because she still held May close to her heart, sure, it wasn’t the same way as before but they were trying to become friends, to let go of their past and just learn to live in the future the best as they could, which was why Liv wasn’t amused that May could disappear and get injured at any given moment. The stress kept piling up, but there was nothing she can do to prevent it or to stop it, she just needed to learn to live with it.

It no longer hurt looking at May, thinking about what they had, and now, possibly about their future as friends, assuming May wouldn’t pull the same stunt again, by leaving everything and everyone, no matter how noble the decision was, its outcomes were everything but noble. And they still needed to work out their friendship, so far, it was going well, they were chatting like regular people without yelling or having random bursts of anger, at least Liv wasn’t having them.

It was when May continued that Liv lowered her eyes before looking back at May. She kept the same serenity as before. What was Liv to May? Someone so useless that needed to be protected? That needed to be taken care of like some damsel in distress? Or maybe a toddler that couldn’t even walk straight without falling down, or maybe she was just useless, without the ability to fight for herself. Had May always seen Liv as this inferior being without the ability to do anything? It hurt to think of it like that, but this time Liv was capable of keeping her emotions in check.

“I’m sure making that decision wasn’t easy, leaving I mean.” Maybe it wasn’t easy, but Liv still wondered that everything they went through was simply because May pitied her. Was everything they had not real? Maybe it was for the best, at least old feelings wouldn’t get in the way of them trying to at least become friends once more.