Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
December, 2019 :: Summer

Invite The quiet part of town

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri
27 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her/Hers

That time was the most calm time of the day, where people had disappeared to their houses, only a few could be found on the street, a few like Jo, who preferred the night more than she preferred the day, besides, the night shift paid better and with less prying eyes meant there was a lot of things she could do without getting in trouble, or too much. She had spent a few days patrolling Narrie, but they had asked to do the same in Melbourne, she didn’t know why she was there, she had told them she had moved, but they still wanted her to work that shift in Melbourne. She didn’t argue with them, the money was useful now that the Estrada family had grown over the past couple of months, but she was confused about their choice.

The night was quiet, so quiet that she took the time to sat on a bench and watch people as she put a lollipop in her mouth, she was starting to get the same habit as Dani had, sucking on a lollipop and surprisingly they weren’t as bad as she thought they were at first. The lollipops were quite tasty, no wonder Dani liked them. Jo was pleased at how it turned out, she did enjoy having the house full, but she was still upset she couldn’t turn the basement into a Jo Cave or something cool like that, maybe one day she gets to have her own dark cave, hopefully.

The stillness was making her nervous, there was nothing to do, no one to hunt, where were all the criminals in that town? Even the muggle ones? She wanted to desperately tie someone to a flag post, but she couldn’t do it to an innocent bystander, the Ministry would have her head if she even tried such a thing. No, had to be a criminal, even a hooligan was enough to get her going.

She got up from the bench and continued her walk, ending up in and alley, that had to be the place for some hooligans to jump her so she can hunt them down like the vermin’s that they were…but no, nothing, no one jumped her. “Shit.” She spoke in Spanish, turning around to go back to the place where she came from, maybe it wasn’t their time to leave their little holes to crawl around society?

Melbourne ☆ The Tipsy Mozzie Bartender, Musician✩ Kirupachi
23 year old Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

"Might as well just crawl under a rock and die at this point..."

Such was the utterance by one Shane Robbins as he strolled down Lygon Street at an hour he'd be too ashamed to verify for himself. It was so late even the bustling street was quiet, the various restaurants having closed for the day so their employees could rest up and tackle another business day the following noon. It wasn't his usual path back home but it was the one he had to take. With his luck that day, if he were to Apparate back to The Tipsy Mozzie he'd probably sever his own spine and live to tell the tale.

His most recently girlfriend turned out to be cheating on him. He then got punched out by the guy she was cheating on him with, but since it had been near the police station, both had been arrested just as Shane was about to lunge at this fellow. After being released on no charge later in the day and completely missing work, he rushed over to the studio to try to make up for it. He wound up getting suck in a closet for hours as his wand refused to cooperate with a simple Alohomora spell. As he managed to finally leave the studio, he tried to get some money from his bank account so to eat something; it was then that he noticed his money was abnormally inflated to the hundreds of thousands, the first sign of a bank error, and as he didn't remember how much he had beforehand he couldn't withdraw any amount without risking being accused of stealing funds.

Heavy, slow steps carried him all the way towards an alley. The sound of footsteps coming from it gave him pause. Was the cherry on top of that clusterfuck of a day going to be a bunch of thugs trying to traffic his insides?

"...Wait..." He muttered as he looked on, recognizing who it was that seemed to be headed his way. "You!" He called out to Jo, his face brightening up. Finally, someone he knew! As far as he was concerned, even if Shane was aware of Jo's occupation, she was a sight for sore eyes that day and a friend as far as he was concerned. "Long time no see, why're you out so late?"

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

As Jo walked down the street, annoyed that whoever she had heard wasn’t a someone, it was nothing, thinking her mind was starting to play pranks on her, she ended up hearing someone, and she wasn’t imagining it this time, it was an actual person talking. By the smell it looked like … Shane? What was he doing at that hour? She looked forward and she wasn’t imagining things this time, it was indeed someone. She approached him and waved lightly at the young man, who seemed happy to see her, it was a rare occasion, not everyone was pleased to see her, she was unsure why, she wasn’t a bad person, she was quite fun.

“Look who it is, it’s Shane, the bad luck boy.” She spoke in a teasing manner, with no malice behind her words. “For a moment I thought you were some troublemaker looking for trouble.” It was quite obvious that she was working, his question made no sense, but she decided to indulge him. “I’m working. They put me on patrol tonight.” Too many days and not enough Aurors, she had the possibility of traveling back and forth and she hadn’t been working the previous day, it made it easier for her. “But what are you doing here at this hour? Did something happen?” she stared at him a bit inquisitive, it looked like it, but she didn’t want to jump into conclusions without hearing his side.

“By what I can pick up I’m guessing you have one hell of a day.” She commented, crossing her arms while she looked at him, still trying to pick up what was that her nose was picking up. “If you need to get back to the bar, I can go with you, if you want some company.” She had seen that area there was nothing else to see, she might as well go to an area she was more familiar with. “I can go with you if you want to go home too, I’m patrolling so it’s irrelevant where I do my job as long as it’s done.”

Bad luck boy? Did Jo really have to remind him of it? Shane grimaced at the moniker. If there was anything he wanted to be renowned for, his legendary streak of misfortune wasn't it. Even if the Dhampir had meant it in jest it stung a little, especially after the day he was having, causing his positive mood to dissipate just as quickly as it had sprung up not a moment ago. Shielding his hands from the chill within his pants' pockets, the man stood at the entryway of the alley, the pair illuminated by the street lamp lights - outside of that the street was mostly deserted, and hopefully nobody would think he was some sort of thief if they bothered to peek out of a window.

He opened his mouth to reply to Jo's question but was promptly cut off as she continued, which gave him a few moments to consider whether he should tell her about what had happened. She was an Auror, and she'd had his previous problem disappear at the drop of a hat; on the other hand, what was it she could do that time? There wasn't any specific target, just sheer bad luck.

"...I'm okay, thanks." He ultimately said with visible hesitation. The following day would be better, surely. Shane had always been a horrible liar but he still had to try. "Though I'll take the offer if my place isn't too out of the way of your patrol area." He certainly didn't envy that type of schedule but at the same time he could somewhat relate to it given his mother ran a bar.

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

She waited for his answer, but he didn’t reply right away, there was a slight awkward silence before the young man was able to come up with an answer. Jo was curious to why he was lying to her. Did she ever do anything? Was that her fault? Couldn’t be, but he could be into some shady business and her being an Auror could potentially be harmful, but she wasn’t planning on arresting him, Shane probably wasn’t the mastermind behind some big scheme, there was no point in arresting him if that was the case, so, he probably had his reasons for lying to her. “You do know I can sense when you’re lying right?” it wouldn’t take a genius to figure out Shane was lying, but the increased heart rate when someone did was an obvious indicator. “If you’re mixed up in something dangerous you can tell me.” She didn’t want anything to happen to him, he was a friend, but if he decided to keep quiet there was nothing she could do.

“But no, it’s not, even if it was it wouldn’t bother me.” She could quickly get back to her area after leaving Shane at his place. She shoved her hands into her pockets and waited for him to start walking, she would have but she had no idea where he lived, while she could get there by scent, the fact that he was close to her would interfere with her nose and she wouldn’t be able to find him.

That boy needed some good luck in his life, or at least a good luck charm

“You know, why don’t we stop by a food truck? It’s kinda late, I’m kinda hungry, what do you say? My treat.” She offered, maybe it would help him cheer up a little. She was drifting away from her comfort zone she was unsure of what to do and what to say, but it seemed to be doing well, or at least she thought she was. “So, have you been having some troubles? I remember the woman who stalked you. She hasn’t said anything yet has she?” she wanted to make sure or else she would have to scare the woman again. She wasn’t hurting anyone, just provoking some heart attacks.

And there it was. Shane's lie had been seen through as if it weren't even there and the man visibly grimaced as he was caught in it. Dhampirs were walking lie detectors, why had he even bothered to try? He couldn't even fool a child to give him a lollipop, let alone get past a talented, trained Auror like Jo. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid...'

"I'm fine now... I think..." He hoped. He didn't plan on touching his bank account for a single dollar for the time being, voiding that issue altogether; his charges were dropped, and he had gotten out of his predicament safely. Past the eventuality of his ex-girlfriend's new guy seeking him out there was nothing in relation to all those incidents that could affect him in the future, or so he thought. 'Though, knowing my luck...'

"U-Uh... I suppose I'll take you up on that one." He muttered at the idea of going to a food truck. "I don't... actually have any money on me, so..." It took him a few seconds to realize how that sounded, after which he quickly raised his hands defensively with such momentum he tripped backwards a step. "I-I wasn't robbed or anythin'! I just honest to Merlin don't have anything on me, that's all!"

"A-Anyway... She hasn't bothered me, no." The man shook his head, one hand dropping while the other reached back to scratch at his head. "I'm starting to grow curious though... What exactly did you do? I tried for forever and she wouldn't let go of my arm, and you just got there and did whatever it is you did and she's gone... Do you have some dirt on her or something?" It made sense. At least he didn't want to agree with Jamie and Alex regarding something bad having happened. Jo was an Auror. She wouldn't have done anything bad to her, right?

Right?

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

Jo wasn’t planning on pushing anything, it didn’t catch him doing anything, he wasn’t a wanted criminal, and above all she knew Shane, and he wasn’t exactly criminal Mastermind material to begin with, the poor boy would shoot himself on the foot before a person could breathe, but the way he was nervous was suspicious, but irrelevant. She laughed when he said he didn’t have money on him, and how he tried to sound it look real was even more amusing. “I believe you Shane, my treat, come on.” She motioned for him to move along with her, she wasn’t going to bite him, unless provoked. “You need to learn to relax a little.” She mentioned, but it was quite funny that her, of all people, was telling someone else to relax.

She scratched the back of her head when he asked her what she had done. Did he really want to know? “Well…let’s say her house isn’t the most secure house in Melbourne.” Jo had break into the woman’s house, quietly following her like a shadow and breathing down her neck like some form of stalker, she hopped Shane didn’t want to hear the rest of the story. Despite Jo’s limitations, she was aware that her behaviour might have been a bit overkill. “I didn’t hurt her or anything, just gave her a scare.” At least she didn’t use her force to hurt the woman.

The young Dhampir looked at Shane, expecting a reaction from him, probably the reaction of him running away from her like so many had done before. She stopped at the food truck and ordered food for her and waited for Shane to do the same before covering for both their orders. “I tried to talk to her twice, she ignored me, I had to be a bit more radical the third time, which seemed to have been a success…minus her now being afraid of me and thinking we’re probably dating.” Jo took a bite of her food a bit clumsily as she waited for a reaction from the young man.

A breath of relief escaped Shane as he lowered one of his hands. At least Jo had believed him. It was quite embarrassing to admit he had no cash on him, but it was through no fault of his own - it was a bank error. In those situations he figured he'd better be safe than sorry, especially with his rotten luck. He didn't want to wind up in jail for using one cent too much of what he actually had left on accident. Nevertheless, he followed Jo to the food truck as his stomach protested going for so many hours without anything decent filling it. His mood was temporarily raised the moment he got to make his order and he mentally salivated over the food, even if it was nothing fancy.

His eyebrow raised in suspicion as the Dhampir mentioned the woman's house wasn't the most secure. "Huh?" He truly wanted to believe Jo hadn't broken into the house (can Aurors even do that to Muggles? Didn't that equate toa  criminal offense nonetheless?) but his hopes were quickly dashed as she went on about how she had scared the girl off. He had to admit, Jo was scary, Dhampir nature and Auror badge notwithstanding. He could very much envision why the woman would be scared of her, as he was half the time despite their somewhat friendly relationship; what he couldn't have guessed was that she probably thought they were dating.

"W-What?!" The man's cheeks turned into a deep shade of scarlet with the implication. The last thing he needed was for there to be potential rumors circulating about his love life. "And you just let her think that?!" Despite his words, there wasn't a shred of anger in his tone. It was panicky in fact as he struggled to keep his voice down in the middle of the night, and it wasn't like he wanted the food truck server to fuel said rumors.

"We're not d-d--I mean, it's not like anything's wrong with you or anything, i-it's just--GAH!" The food was mostly forgotten on the counter as the man hid his face in his hands. 'Great. Just great!'

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

The young Dhampir was about to take a bite of her food when she looked towards Shane, was he really that innocent that he didn’t understand what she had implied? No, he wasn’t, she was sure he could understand that she had broken into the woman’s house after a few attempts of reasoning with her, and since the normal way failed, Jo had decided something slightly more effective. Her expression said it all, Shane couldn’t even miss that one, the look of confusion on her face indicated precisely what he was thinking. Jo had broken into someone else’s house and the explanation made sense; muggle cops weren’t going to do anything about it.

Her face became even more confused at his following expression. What was Jo supposed to do? Tell the woman they weren’t dating? Perhaps, but why? It was an assumption, Jo didn’t even know it was something the woman was thinking, all she cared was that the woman was scared enough of her to leave the young man alone. “Shane, it’s an assumption, I don’t even know if that’s what she thinks. I can’t read people’s minds.” Jo was good at reading expressions, or sniffing a person’s reaction, she was going to probe the muggle’s mind to know exactly what she was thinking, breaking was a felony, and while she didn’t use magic to do it, probing someone like that was far more dangerous. “Does it even matter though?”

“Shane, grab your food.” She spoke as her free hand rested on her hip and her other hand was holding onto her hot dog. “You need to chill. Do you think I get upset over that?” she seriously didn’t understand what was wrong. She understood people didn’t have to like everyone, besides, Shane wasn’t even her type. Jo smiled at the man from the food truck and picked Shane’s food before stepping away from it a little bit, trying to take Shane along with her, holding her hot dog in her mouth. The man already thought they were weird, but now with their conversation just sounded even weirder and Jo didn’t need Muggle cops after her.

She put his food on his hand and finally grabbed hers before it fell on the ground. “Shane you need to relax a little.”

"Of course it matters! I don't need those rumors flying around!" Shane's bad luck already did enough to screw him over on a daily basis and he didn't need those chances to be greater than they normally were. He was usually discreet for his own safety, as well as whoever his partner could be; though if the rumor went out that he was dating a cop, or even a criminal, that invited terrible things to happen if they bothered to chase after Jo - he was more scared of the Auror than he was of all his crazy exes put together.

He watched, flabbergasted, as his food was shoved into his grip before he could protest much further. The action reminded him he was very hungry, and so he ironically managed to calm down from the realization just enough to be able to take a hearty bite out of the stuffed burger he had ordered from the truck. Shane ultimately exhaled deeply as Jo talked him down from his embarrassment even if his face looked like some sort of permanent grimace.

"...Fine..." He spoke, placing his fist in front of his mouth as he kept on chewing the street food. "S'just..." He decided to lead the Auror away from the truck whom was presumably staring at him weirdly; Shane believed that to be the case but didn't look to confirm his suspicion, it being too late for him to deal with people's judgement. "...I have a long string of crazy exes, and normally when they hear of stuff like that, they, well... Do crazy shit. And I don't want anything bad happening to them, is all."

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

Jo couldn’t understand what was wrong, rumours were exactly what they were, rumours. Everyone knew that they weren’t exactly true, just like that one, it wasn’t true. Jo hadn’t mention anything, the woman would have taken her own conclusions of something that wasn’t even true, it wasn’t Jo’s fault, or Shane’s, just the one person that assumed things without knowing the truth behind it all. Shane soon seemed to calm down enough to start eating the food he had ordered. For a moment Jo thought that Shane was continuing to make a scene about what the woman thought or not about their relationship, which was pretty much friendly and only friendly, though, it did look like if Shane was a bit scared of Jo.

The young Dhampir could be very vicious, but she had never hurt another person to the point of killing them or sending them to the hospital, at least not harmless people like his ex-girlfriends. They weren’t her job, they weren’t criminals, Jo wasn’t going to hurt them, scare them, yes, but hurting was out of the menu. “You’re talking like I’m some big bad monster.” She commented. She was dangerous, but it still hurt when people saw her as a predator and not so much as someone who could be friendly, and normal, they all had to assume Jo was going to hurt someone by ripping their arm or head off, or throw them a few feet away. Was that how Shane saw her?

“I’m not going to hurt them, maybe give them a scare, but do you think I could potentially send one to the hospital?” what was that? That little feeling she felt that it was stinging her like she had gotten burnt? Jo never cared much about what other people thought, but she did care about what her friends did. She proceeded the walk towards the bar, continuing to eat. “Come on, let’s get going.”  

"What?" Shane spoke up as soon as he had swallowed his food, visibly puzzled. Some big bad monster? Shane hadn't meant it like that - yet, it was a fact that Jo was a Dhampir, and consequently had a natural propensity to be rougher towards other individuals. Shane dated mostly Muggles (he didn't want to think what it would be like to date a crazy girl with access to magic) and dealing with a Dhampir Auror could likely end up horribly, even if unintentionally.

"I think accidents happen." If there was an expert on 'accidents' in that Merlin forsaken Earth, it was Shane. He accompanied Jo as they kept on their way towards The Tipsy Mozzie, which wasn't exactly near just yet. "Plus, it ain't like you're gonna control crazy people unless you outright charm them. Are you gonna charm Muggles? Sounds like career suicide to me." If they got violent, Jo would have to defend herself. If Jo defended herself, they'd most definitely end up in a hospital.

"You never know when one of them's gonna try to sock ya in the face, or send someone to." His free hand reached to rub his recently afflicted jaw. While it was mark free out of healing magic, he could swear it still felt sore from the jab he had eaten several hours prior. Despite the physical tell he remained quiet about that particular situation, not needing another hunt on Jo's part. "Don't get me wrong though. I appreciate what ya did. It's just... Guess I'm used to bad stuff happening. This sorta thing spooks me."

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

She knew she was a natural predator, there was not mistake she could easily get rid of someone without even using magic, all she had to do was use what nature had given her, but upon the sight of muggles, she always tried hard to avoid confrontation with them, especially since she couldn’t really control her own strength, everything was violently done with her. In a way, Shane was right, she was the big bad monster that roam the streets, even if he hadn’t meant it like that.

Why would Jo charm someone? She was charming enough, wasn’t she? “I mean, I don’t charm people, like ever. I don’t see the point when they usually fear me.” Most people were indeed scared of her and they would pretty much do what she wanted if necessary, she didn’t need to go after people, controlling their minds and tell them what to do and what not to do, besides, Jo wanted to keep her job. Despite all the crazy thing she used to do, and still does, she never put the magical world at risk, or anyone. Playing a little never harmed a soul and it wasn’t like she was letting criminals walk freely on the streets, she caught both wizarding and muggle criminals a like, even if the muggle police didn’t think she was doing a good job.

“I can avoid getting hit Shane, I’m faster than most and I don’t need to hit back, just wait until they are tired.” She shrugged looking at him. Her hobby meant she had to be rough with people, even muggles and she never had a complaint. “You shouldn’t be used to bad stuff happening to you.” Good things could happen, but if Shane continued to think that they were temporary then bad things will continue, no matter how hard she tries to make things better. “I mean, you seem like you’re always expecting something bad to happen, why not be a bit more positive?” She asked, before finishing her food.

The walk back to the bar was still long but nothing like a conversation to shorten it. “I’m sure you’re not negative just because, there has to be a reason, but I don’t know, I think negativity attracts negativity…”

Shane's nose wrinkled as Jo pointed out a technicality in his line of questioning. It was entirely beside the point and nitpicking at best in his view, but before he could open his mouth to protest after swallowing the portion he had bitten off of his 'meal' she went on and he was compelled to stay put and listen as they kept walking. Perhaps she had a point. One could never enjoy a positive life if all they lived for was the negativity, or so the saying went.

'Some have it rougher than others though...'

"Easier said than done." He spoke up, consciously lowering his burger somewhat so he wouldn't be lured in by the delightful scent and be tempted to bite into it again halfway through the conversation. He wasn't the most gentlemanly person in the world, but he still had some manners and didn't want to keep talking with his mouth full. Not that he thought Jo would mind it too much, of course, but he could practically picture his own mother decking him in the face if he ever did that in front of a woman.

"It's also more complicated than that, I think... Stuff's been happenin' ever since I was born. I'm pretty sure I wasn't born negative..." Even if he could be dumb as a sack of bricks at times, he did understand most personality traits and behaviors were learned. His negativity was learned, it was a direct reaction to what kept happening to him. "Sorry. Startin' to feel like a dick about it, but I just can't help it." He gave the woman a shrug, although his expression displayed heartfelt guilt over having put her on the spot in such a manner.

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

It probably wasn’t easy being a very unlike person, Shane seemed like the type of person to be struck by a lightning several times, almost like he absorbed other people’s bad luck onto himself. It was a bit weird and, definitely easier said than done like he had commented, but negativity did attracted negativity, maybe what Shane needed with a good dose of positive thinking in his life to experience things different, and maybe enjoy them a bit more. She watched him closely, he seemed down, maybe the conversation was somehow upsetting him? Jo didn’t understand why it would, it was a normal conversation like any other, or maybe it wasn’t the conversation but the food since he stopped eating.

“Some people are natural bad luck rods, maybe you’re one.” She suggested. It could be, people’s energies were different, maybe his attracted other’s bad luck, making him the perfect friend to take to a casino and see if that was true or not. “Don’t apologize though. Why would you be a dick about it? You’re the one that has to live with it, not me.” She didn’t understand what it was like to live with that, and she surely didn’t understand why he was feeling the way he was, if he was being honest. People were confusing, Jo already had a hard time understanding most of them.

“You worry too much Shane” she continued to walk, always making sure they were side by side, she didn’t want to leave Shane behind. “But, as you know, if I ever get my hands on something that might be useful for that bad luck you know I’ll bring them to you.” Jo spoke. He probably appreciated some good luck in his life, even if it was from a bottle. It was the first time Jo had met someone who was an actual bad luck rod and it interested her.  

Shane's eyes squinted as he was referred to as a possible natural bad luck rod, as Jo so eloquently put it. While he knew it to be true, it didn't make him very comfortable to hear it out loud - if anything, it confirmed that it was more than just paranoia on his end. 'Maybe I'm just cursed or something...' Though, it wasn't all bad. He did have good times, and good luck occasionally came his way; it was just that the bad far outweighed the good, and he let that get to him on occasion.

"I still have that vial you gave me." He decided to mention after taking another bite out of his burger and properly ingesting it. "To be honest with ya, I'm fulling expecting the vial to crack or something when I needed, or for me to lose it. Though I did cast an unbreakable charm on the glass, so here's hoping it worked..." Though, knowing his temperamental wand, chances were he had successfully cast the exact reverse of what he wanted.

"Or maybe my mom finds it and drinks it, who knows." He gave a shrug as they continued walking down the street. He looked up at the night sky, dotted with all manner of stars, and let out a sigh. "It's not all so bad though, y'know. When a lot of bad crap happens to you, you learn to appreciate the little things." Looking back down and at Jo, he waved his burger lightly in the air. "Like this! Thanks again."

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

She was surprised to hear that Shane still had the vial she had given to him, she assumed he had used it by now, considering his random encounters with bad luck, she was pretty sure that he had come across a situation that would require him to use it, but it was good, it meant he hadn’t run into anything potentially dangerous. It was smart of him casting an unbreakable charm and she was even more surprised that it worked. “At least it worked and didn’t break right?” She commented, trying to light up the situation, but knowing her, she probably only made it worse, or made him think that the vial could have a small crack than would let the potion leak. She should have kept her mouth shut.

She took small steps, always next to Shane as they walked towards the bar.

“I’m sure your mom won’t drink it.” if it was a sibling Jo was sure that would happen, but parents didn’t have the habit of drinking what belonged to their children, or so Jo thought. As someone with an older sister that job alone belonged to Ash when it came to her things, or to herself when Ash had anything, Jo always made sure to eat it or drink it, unless it smelled like trap.

Jo smiled at Shane, whatever she had done was nothing special. “It’s no big deal really. I’m pretty sure if I was in your situation you would have done the same for me.” She spoke. She wasn’t a good friend, she was far from that, she didn’t necessarily try to be pleasant either but she did try to be a good friend, even if it was a bit odd at times.

"I dunno. Time will tell." Shane gave the Auror a shrug of his shoulders. There was no way of telling whether the spell had been successful or not without tampering with the vial, which was most definitely something the man wasn't willing to risk - it was a very precious potion after all, and hopefully it would actually be able to be put to use at some point down the line if he happened to reach some sort of desperate time. 'I hear it has a come down type of deal attached to it, but, not like shit can get much worse for me anyway...'

As far as his mother drinking it went, while he didn't want it to happen, it was better that she got the effect out of it than having nobody enjoy the momentary luck. Plus, he was living in her house still. If anything, it was good payment to make up for the bills he racked up at the end of the month from water, food and electricity. 'I really need to move out at some point... Once I get a half decent gig.'

The pair kept walking side by side down the crosswalk, closer to the nightlife of the town; and, consequently, closer to The Tipsy Mozzie. He gave his burger a hearty bite while Jo continued speaking, though he did swallow the food prior to replying. "Huh? Sure I would, but still..." It was hard to put it to words - he always did things for people, but never expected something to be done for him, or such was his luck. "Guess I'm being weird. Truth is, I'm not really used to this type of thing. My bad."

Then again, judging by how his life usually went, it was likely that the Muggle burger would wind up giving him some sort of intestinal issue half an hour down the line. "I'd say I'd get you a beer on the house back at the bar once you're done with your shift, but, you already earned yourself a lifetime supply." He joked, chuckling in good humor.

Ministry ☆ Auror✩ Tecri

Surprisingly, he was taking it pretty well, and at least he wasn’t stressing over the fact that his spell might not have worked or had cracked the vial and it was leaking. Jo didn’t believe in luck, it was just a random succession of events that led to things, however the more she got to talk to Shane the more she noticed it might not be it, or at least the probability of bad things happening around him were higher than bad things happening to others. If there was such a thing as each action creates a reaction, she couldn’t see how someone like him had such luck. Maybe she was overthinking it, it wasn’t her problem to begin with, and while she wanted to help him, she wasn’t in any position to do so.

“Maybe you just need to hang out with different people.” Jo spoke with a shrug as they continued to walk towards the bar, the more they walked the closer they got, and while Jo was enjoying her time, and still doing her rounds, just making a slight detour, she was afraid she was taking up his time, even if she was a lovely person to be around, they both had a job to do. He had to deal with people in a different way she had to deal with, but it his job was probably as tiring as hers in way, if everyone was as obnoxious as she was when drunk, she pitied Shane’s life.

She laughed at his comment, and she appreciated the free drinks she always felt bad somehow, it was a person’s job, she was somehow taking advantage. Her feeling was taught, it wasn’t something she genuinely felt bad about, but it still counts for something, right? “Maybe one day someone needs to take you out for drinks, and not where you’d have to serve them.” It was a suggestion that she hoped one day he’d take.

In the distance she could already see the bar, she was a bit relieved they were almost there, even if she was enjoying slacking off a little.

"'Scuse me?" Hang out with different people? Shane took offense to the statement, brows furrowing. He wanted to reply further but ultimately opted not to, letting the statement stew further in his mind. The problem wasn't so much who he hung out with, as them hanging out seldomly those days. With his schedule going completely against theirs it was quite difficult to have a group hangout with his friends at any given time. Maybe Jo was right. He should hang out with different people, just not for the reasons that came across in context.

"Wouldn't mind that much myself. Problem is, when most people wanna go out for drinks, I'm working. Would hafta be sometime before happy hour, or in one of my odd days off, which if my mom has her way... It's, like, never." He finished his burger and cleaned his mouth with the paper that came with it, before crumpling everything up within his hand and tossing the waste ball into a nearby trashcan. Fortunately, it fell in instead of rebounding and hitting him square on the forehead.

They came up to the bar in no time at all. Reminding himself that Jo was in the middle of her shift, he managed to have enough presence of mind not to invite her inside for a cold one. "Speaking of which, you know you can drop by early, right? If the bar looks closed just text me about it, and if I'm around I'll open for you." A deep breath followed, and he lightly tapped the side of her shoulder. "Thanks for this again! Yeah, I know, but I wanna say thanks anyway. I'm gonna go in to get yelled at, see you soon."