Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
December, 2019 :: Summer

The Bad Old Days

Melbourne ☆ Headmistress of Penrose★ Sadrienne
50 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

Once again she was terribly early to pick Hazel up, so Kate had snuck herself away to a far corner of the Bilby Oval. Far enough that hopefully Alan wouldn't wander out here and catch her sneaking a cheeky cigarette. She only had the odd one now and then, especially now that Matt was back and everything was better---but being here, on Tally grounds. It brought back memories. A younger self up to no good at all. Those had been the days.

She smoothed down her skirt and straightened her scarf. Kate always got looks when she came here, so obviously in the Penrose staff uniform. Her 'Headmistress' badge perfectly shined, and why was her daughter here?? they all wanted to know. Why didn't the snobby woman give her daughter a private education, if Penrose really was "all that".

Lately Kate wasn't so sure that it was. Hazel was definitely happier in the Bilby program. The more she thought about it, the more Kate felt that the strict and perfectionist world of Penrose would never be a good fit for her chaotic daughter. How had that happened? How had she and Matt created this whirlwind of a creature? Kate loved her daughter, of course, but the wild spirit was so far from anything she and Matt were. It was refreshing and wonderful but also damn confusing.

Kate sighed, looked around to be sure none of the Tally staff were in view, and lit up. Her father had requested an audience too, which was another whole thing. What to do about that? He wanted to meet Matt. He wanted to meet Hazel. She hadn't even told Hazel that she had grandparents, she and Matt had agreed on that from the start. She didn't need to know about John, about Pearl. She didn't need to know Margaret and Vince were alive. 

It was better that way, right?

There was nothing good to be gained by going back to all of that. Besides, just thinking about the minor heart attack her father would have over her smoking on Tallygarunga grounds made her smile. Screw him. She'd do what she wanted.

Sturt ☆ Fourth Year ✩ Kirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

School could sod off for all Renee cared. The former desert dweller wanted to enjoy the chill running rampant across Narragyambie for as long as she could, it being a rarity in her life back stateside, and with the Spring (and magpie season, no less) looming in the horizon the blonde thought that made for a perfect excuse to skip class - as if she needed any. Grabbing a hoodie from her dorm room and shuffling out of the Tarnagulla Centre and completely forgoing heading to the Arithmancy classroom for the last lecture of the day, the Arizonan wandered off to less traveled areas of the campus, letting her feet be her aimless guide.

She eventually came across the fence separating both facilities. Many times she had wondered why it was even there, given the lack of actual magical protection surrounding it - even if it kept the young ones from making the trip to where they shouldn't be, older troublemakers could pass through the barrier like a knife to butter. Who was Renee to deny herself entry to the area, in the end? Little kids were far more less of an eyesore to look at than meddling, acne-riddled, hormonal teenagers whom didn't know their head from a hole in the ground. One could easily argue she could get in trouble if caught, but, did she care?

A light snort erupted from Renee at the very notion. She shook her head in good humor while reaching into a holster hanging from her belt so to retrieve a finely crafted elm wand, which she promptly used to tear a sizable hole in the chains, spanning her entire height, almost as if she had been using a blowtorch to melt through the metal. Once she was done, she pressed half the tip of the wand against a part of the metal and pushed forwards until it fell with a metallic thud on the ground.

"That was easy." She commented in a low tone to herself. The vicinity was mostly deserted due to ongoing classes - even if her entry had been less than stealthy, it was unlikely for someone to come running and tell her off. Stepping across the fallen fence, she soon lifted it to where it had once been and repaired all damage: as good as new. Even if she wasn't the most caring individual in the world regarding consequences to her actions, she didn't exactly want to make future trips to Bilby any more difficult than they had to be out of motivating the staff to curse the barrier.

It only took Renee a few steps and a turn of a corner to realize she wasn't alone - there stood a woman in uniform, lighting a cigarette, apparently enjoying some solitude. She didn't recognize the uniform at all, being mostly unaware of any outside Narragyambie's little community (or, as mother would argue, willfully ignorant and uncaring). More important than fabric, however, was the fact Renee was quick to catch on to the simple fact this person had most likely heard her spectacular entry onto Bilby grounds unless she was deaf.

However, there was something she could use to her advantage. Renee was painfully aware of the campus' policy on smoking - something she herself breached a number of times and was occasionally caught doing so - and so she let herself believe the trespassing couldn't seriously be used against her. Not only did she have that bargaining chip, but she didn't much care if she was actually expelled.

"You got a spare one of those?" The blonde spoke with an apparent complete disregard for her own survival as she stepped closer to Katherine, shielding her hands within her hoodie's pockets as she walked so to combat the cold temperature plaguing the area.

Kate wasn't surprised to see one of the older students had made their way to the Bilby side. When they had done the planning for the site, a lot of discussion had gone into what security (if any) should be used along the fence. Both she and Alan had agreed it was best to keep it simple. Too many magical wards and deterrents ran the risk of students injuring themselves in an attempt to get through, and both she and Alan had been in the game long enough to know that it didn't matter what you put in place: if the kids wanted to find a way through, they would.

It wasn't a particularly big deal, anyway. The outer edges of the school's boundaries were secure, this was just to keep the younger children in a smaller area they could be easily watched.

She watched the older girl silently, the closed-over body language and the clear willingness to break school rules said it all. Kate had seen this type of student many times before, and for a while she had been this student. It was always upsetting to see how some things never changed, you could never make all of the children happy. Not the way they deserved to be. 

"No," Kate said finally, flicking ash to the ground. "You're far too young for that. Besides, you're on this side of the fence - stick with breaking one rule at a time." 

Whatever rules Kate was willing to break herself, she wasn't the sort to go around handing cigarettes to children. She let a moment's silence pass, still watching the girl. Kate wasn't concerned about being dobbed on, either. Alan would be annoyed, but what was Alan going to do? Aside from sic Audrey onto her, Alan didn't have any threats that she actually feared. 

"What brings you here when you should be in class?" Kate raised an eyebrow, but made no move to shoo the girl away. Again, the students would find a way to do the things they really wanted to do, and if the girl wasn't skipping class here, she would just skip class elsewhere. Here she would at least be supervised and perhaps even learn a thing or two.

"I'm Kate," she added, deciding to leave off the part about being the headmistress of a private girl's school. If the girl didn't know that, she certainly wasn't going to want to. "My daughter goes to Bilby."

Much like Renee had expected, her request had been rejected and put out of its misery on the spot. The way that response was worded, however, served to instill a sense of amusement in the Arizonan. She could hardly contain a smirk while commenting. "I'll take that as a 'yes, but I'm not willing to share'." Not having access to a cigarette didn't particularly bug her but the lack for pure condescension put her at ease in the situation nonetheless. "Though, I don't get what difference does it make if I choose to tank my lungs now or a couple years from now."

Indeed, there were various age restrictions surrounding a number of 'activities' by law, most of which she didn't understand - even adults screwed them over, and it was mighty arrogant in her point of view to assume people were miraculously blessed with maturity past a certain age. If people were going to screw up their lives anyway, as Renee was apparently hell bent on doing to herself, they should be able to do that from any point, or so she believed.

Nevertheless, the Sturt let the point die. It was clear she wasn't getting any cigarette from the older woman and Renee wasn't one to dwell on lost battles anyway. "First name basis already? Aww." Shoving her hands lazily into her pants' pockets, the teenager made herself comfortable while staring out towards the limits of the school. "Though, I'd say it's bold of you to call me out on cutting class when you're going against school regulations yourself."

It occurred to her that, with the mild mind gaming going on, she hadn't introduced herself. She briefly scratched her forehead once realizing it, then turning her head to face the older woman again. "Renee. It's only fair." It wasn't common for her to pay a modicum of respect or politeness to anyone, but the fact Kate hadn't tried to get under her skin just yet certainly won her some points.

"Well, if you're inclined to believe in science, a dramatically reduced likelihood of lung cancer before you're thirty-five and less chance of that this disgusting cocktail of chemicals not made for human consumption will affect your still-developing brain," Kate replied with a shrug. She'd been smoking since she was young. Too young, and too dumb to understand what she'd been doing to her body. If she could go back, Kate liked to think she would have not taken up the habit, but it had been so effective in upsetting her father. She couldn't really say.

In a way, she hated the habit. Hated the way she craved the taste on days when life felt impossible. Kate didn't like to rely on anything or any one, but cigarettes had always been her weakness. She cracked a smile as Renee countered her, amused by the girl's wit and nerve.

"True, I am," she said lightly. "But should Alan happen to catch us out here, you're most welcome to inform him of my transgressions---and we'll see who gets in the most trouble." It would probably be Renee, at least at first. Alan wouldn't reprimand her in front of a student. He would wait until they had a private moment to really make his feelings clear. Say all of the things you couldn't say within hearing of delicate child ears.

"My question stands. Why are you out here, instead of daydreaming in class, like everyone else who doesn't want to be there?"

"Mm. Right, right. But if you're inclined to believe in science, wouldn't you say the smoking age should be in the mid twenties instead of eighteen? It's estimated the brain's still developing until then, if not later." Renee's eyes glinted with amusement as she let the minimally knowledgeable part of her out in an attempt of pointing out how arbitrary the number 'eighteen' was in choosing the best age to legally be allowed to start smoking. Renee didn't care much for it, nor the potential consequences, regardless - if she wanted to do something, she was going to do it.

A smile stretched upon her lips as Kate implied Renee would get into a lot of trouble. Was it true? Absolutely. The Sturt had no argument to it. She was a student under Alan Burdett's care, after all, and Kate was not. Yet, she looked like she was practically welcoming such a prospect, rather than fearing it or being overly cautious not to face it. Renee didn't much care what happened to her academic career - if she did, she probably wouldn't have cut a giant hole in the fence a few moments before without minding people who could potentially be watching.

"Because, unlike 'everybody else', I have the spine to get up and leave." She countered as she stretched out one of her arms in an attempt to get the blood flowing, as the chilly weather threatened to freeze her in place. "It's boring. Makes me feel like my brain's about to spill out my ears half the time from how dull it is. If that's what's meant to happen, I'd rather be the cause of it myself than have people trying to cram useless information down my throat a couple hours at a time. At least out here my eyes aren't threatening to roll back every few seconds."