Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
September, 2019 :: Spring

Invite Questionably Undaunted

Ministry ☆ Bounty HunterKirupachi
26 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

It was supposed to be an early afternoon like many others - every few days, May Bowen would gather every bit of courage (as well as restraint) in her youthful body that she possibly could muster and would make the trek to Tallygarunga to visit none other than Olivia Teagarden. Even after a good month and a half of working on the matter of rekindling their friendship - successfully, as far as May was aware - she couldn't shake the uncertainty that came with the territory: ultimately, she was putting the half-Veela in danger willingly. But it had been something that the woman consciously made the decision for, despite May's concerns. Who was she to say no at that point?

But, why wasn't it such a normal afternoon? For one, the town was shaken up by a recent gruesome murder that took the halfbreed community by storm. A woman had been completely torn apart, and the connection to a werewolf sun had been circulating. An Auror had discussed with her the fact that such wasn't the case - while the killer had definitely been a werewolf, the child was not to blame.

For two, as May reached the door within the Hospital Wing to enter Olivia's office, she could feel a sense of distress and exasperation within the room proper. Halting herself before she could knock, the Dhampir took a moment to focus her senses on what was beyond the door separating the pair. There was nobody else in the room, and no sign of danger. Had something happened?

A sense of deep concern tugged at the Dhampir's heartstrings. She proceeded to hurriedly give the door a few quick knocks before moving her hand to the handle, turning it open and peeking her head in once the door was sufficiently ajar. "Liv?" She called out to her friend in concern, her gaze inspecting her for any tell that scent and hearing couldn't provide.

Tally Staff ☆ School NurseTecri
25 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her/Hers

The week had been stressful to say the least, Olivia was feeling a lot of things at the same time and was having a hard time separating the feelings from her normal self. Could one blame her though? Her closeness to the son of the victim of the recent murdered was affecting her, watching him and knowing that she couldn’t help him in any way was a heavy realization she couldn’t always help everyone. The weight of it was still heavy on her shoulders as she tried to do her job, distracted, but she was doing it. The things that probably caused her more sadness wasn’t the even in itself, it was how people reacted to it.

Hour after hour hearing the gossip, only being able to tell people to stop, to be kind and to think about how what they are saying might not be the truth. Obviously, most people just argue with her, others keep quiet for a while until she turns to take care of someone else. It did hurt her, knowing how untrue the comments were, about someone who she considered to be the kindest person she knew, or one of. Liv took a deep break, wanting to continue her work, but her position shifted when she heard a familiar voice. “Yes?” Liv looked at the door with a smile, it was nice to see that May had gone to visit her.

“Glad you decided to show up. Today has been a tough day.” Liv spoke. It had been a tough week, but she was trying to play it off, trying not to draw too much attention towards her worries, but it was clear that Liv was on edge, angry, upset, sad, a concoction of feelings, very hard to separate, and hard to allow anyone to continue their work, surprisingly, Liv continued working, granted, the room was more warmer than it should be, and Liv was more tired than usual, trying to keep them in check.

“How are you?”

The mere sight of the smile filling Olivia's lips was more than enough to cause May's own to twitch slightly upwards in response, despite the otherwise neutral nature of the Dhampir. It was a momentary distraction, one she soon caught herself out of, and as the half-Veela spoke May took the opportunity to make her way past the door. She leaned backwards on it until it closed, a clicking sound signifying the bolt being put in place being the indicator of her success.

Whatever it was that was ailing Olivia, she seemed to be putting up a strong front. She couldn't help find that situation morbidly humorous - they both knew May was able to pick up on the distress emanating from the younger woman, yet it also served as a stark reminder that she wasn't ready just yet to let her guard down like she used to back in the day around May.

"Concerned." She replied, opting not to beat around the bush, having always been the direct sort. As she stepped into the now closed room she was more aware of the less than pleasant temperature surrounding it; this made it so May halted her steps earlier than she would have towards the Veela, discomfort minimally noticeable in her gaze as the sudden shift of temperature threatened to boil the Dhampir's skin.

"Did something happen?" She reached for the collar of her shirt and pulled at it in a vain attempt to get some air circulating - she'd use magic, but she didn't want to disrupt Olivia's need for that hot temperature in any way.

Liv waited until May got closer to her, but the Dhampir chose not to get too close, a wise decision. She simply couldn’t stop the emotions all around her, but she was able to at least maintain her front, like nothing was up, and technically nothing was happening with her, just to someone she cared. It wasn’t like she didn’t want to tell May, Liv was mostly honest with her feelings, depending what they were, she just preferred to focus on others than her own, besides, what could My possibly do about the situation? Was she able to turn back time? No, the time for it to happen was long gone, and even if they were able to it would be illegal.

May’s question was obvious, she probably could hardly stand the temperatures. Some students even seemed to be getting hot due to proximity. Liv couldn’t do anything about it, as much as she tried to contain her anger, it seemed the more she thought about the situation, the worse it got. It was better just to not think too much about it, but with the question, she had no choice.

“Well…you know the gruesome murder that happened? The son is a student…” There was no point in hiding that from May, except some of the details, she wasn’t going to tell the woman that Travis was a werewolf, even if it was pretty much common knowledge in the whole school. “His name is Travis and he comes, or used to come visit me usually, every day.” It was a friendship that was frowned upon by many, and it wasn’t something that Liv would advertise because of it could get her fired if someone decided to spread some false rumours.

“We ended up become close friends. He was the reason why I went to talk to you and decided to push forward, and now I can’t do a damn thing to help him.” It just broke her heart seeing him like that, seeing how people looked and talked about one of the sweetest people she had met in that school. “But enough about what bothers me.”

The only way in which a Narragyambie individual hadn't heard of the murder Olivia was mentioning was if they had been living under a rock - and that was for civilians. May was law enforcement - technically, or at least as much as a hired assassin for the government could be - and so she, in particular, had her ear filled with details ever since it had occurred. She hadn't bothered visiting the premises, only working on a task by task basis, but from what had been imparted to her, it all indicated it was the handiwork of a werewolf. Knowing her luck, the Ministry would task with having him disappeared sooner rather than later, if only to appease the public after the catastrophic PR that was there being a wild werewolf on the loose right under their noses.

However, Olivia's words soon tossed May's lack of concern for the situation out the window. She was a friend with the victim's child? This 'Travis' was a werewolf, even if not the perpetrator, that much she knew; however, the grisly details hidden from the general population pointed to how gruesome it had been, and that it had been a taunt - something to get under this son's skin, for whatever purpose it may have ultimately. She tensed up as her mind drew the logical conclusion the werewolf would be targeting people Travis was fond of if he didn't get his way - and Olivia, being a friend, would be right in their sights.

She had to act. From that moment on, it was a self-imposed task - she couldn't wait for the Ministry to pull her strings. Olivia was more important to her than anything else and she'd keep her safe. Whatever this kid had done to contribute to their friendship rekindling automatically took a backseat to whatever was threatening her life.

"No. Actually..." That was a subject that couldn't go over their heads. The Dhampir was tense, alert - almost as if irrationally expecting the perpetrator to jump into that office and take the half-Veela from her on the spot. "You can, but maybe not in a traditional sense." She took a deep breath. There was no way to sugarcoat it or make it seem benign; plus, with the promise of honesty, there was no incentive for May to lie to her friend.

"...Do you have access to wolfsbane?" If she could extract the poison from the plant, it would certainly help her in a hunt.

It seemed that May had heard about the murder and that she already new the details, with the exception that Olivia new who the victim’s son was. She didn’t want to go into details about her friendship with Travis, it was nothing out of the ordinary, but it wasn’t important to the topic of the conversation, at least for now. Olivia had hoped that May was there to grab some lunch, but it didn’t seem to be the case. She watched her friend but didn’t move closer, she knew how the temperature was making May uncomfortable, perhaps it wouldn’t be a good day to catch up. The half-veela took a deep breath and continued to look at her friend. She could try to help May, if it was within her possibilities, she wouldn’t have a problem helping the young Dhampir

What May wanted wasn’t exactly something that Olivia was expecting. Why did May want wolfsbane? Was she planning to hunt a werewolf? Given the recent events, Liv wouldn’t be too surprised if May was going after the werewolf herself, or was she going after Travis? It seemed like the Ministry was trying to shove everything under the rug, as always. She wouldn’t be surprised that they tried to close the case as fast as they could and end up blaming Travis, and that could be the reason why May wanted the plant.

“May I ask why you want wolfsbane?” Liv asked, hoping that May would tell her the truth. She already had an idea what it was for, but she wanted the Dhampir to tell her that. “I do have some spares but … I am trying to save them.” She wasn’t going to hide the fact that all the excess wolfsbane she got was for Travis or for something for him, at least, not hide it from May.

Why did May want wolfsbane? It was hardly a question Olivia had to ask - especially when she knew how the Dhampir operated. Being the school nurse and knowing more than a thing or two about herbology, surely the half-Veela would know what was that plant's main use. The fact that Olivia did ask, however, indicated an inkling of distrust, which was only natural; but did that mean she thought May was going after the kid?

"It doesn't have to be yours. A contact to a supplier would do." Even if it was highly monitored, she was positive she could get away with a little friendly convincing - at least, she was under the impression the Ministry turned a blind eye to her activities for the most part. Hell, if they knew what kind of journey she was about to embark in, they'd likely commend her for taking the initiative.

"...But, to answer your question. I want wolfsbane so I can extract its poison and coat a blade with it." There was no point to beating around the bush. Being under the promise of sincerity didn't help her either, and perhaps, Olivia deserved to know - she was a civilian but not only was she compromised at that point, she was also connected emotionally to the would be main target of the perpetrator. Besides, knowing the woman, she'd burn May to a crisp before she did anything without the consent of the involved parties.

"And before you go on that tangent, I'm not going after the kid." Taking a deep breath, she focused enough on her senses to scout the area without much movement. There were people going up and down the corridor behind the door near May, as well as students walking along the outer walls of the building. Not wanting to risk a breach, with a wave of her hand, the Dhampir muted the room to the outside world.

"This doesn't get out of here." She warned Olivia. It was quite ridiculous how much she was willing to bend the rules, bend protocol and putting her own neck at risk for the sake of appeasing the woman; old habits died hard. "The force knows this Travis you speak of didn't do it. But, they also know a werewolf did it. So the reason I want that wolfsbane is to make it easier on me for a future run in." Werewolf hunting was hard, even for a seasoned assassin like May. Fortunately, it wasn't her first time and experience made her wise on her approach.

Liv looked at May, she hopped the Dhampir wasn’t planning to go after the boy, she was smarter than that, she wasn’t just going to blindly follow the Ministry orders, if that was even an order from them, Liv wouldn’t be surprised they would order such a thing. She knew it couldn’t have been him, regardless of all the gossip and the speculation. Wolfsbane was a potent poison, before moving forward to give May what she had asked, Liv wanted some confirmation that May wasn’t going to go after Travis, and if she did want, and insisted, May would be stuck between a rock and a hard place, on one she would have to go against May to protect Travis, and if she did let her she would risk losing him. There was no winning on that one.

Before she could even speak, May went ahead to assure her that she wasn’t going after the victim’s son, which in return calmed Liv. “So, you know it wasn’t him.” it wasn’t very hard to figure out, if one knew him or knew enough about him. The young half-veela looked at the Dhampir, almost like a weight have lifted off her shoulders, she no longer had a hard decision to take. “I can get you wolfsbane, with a couple of conditions.” Liv spoke, looking at May. If May thought she was going werewolf hunting alone she was mistaken, and if she thought she was going to kill it, she was mistaken as well, it wasn’t their decision to take.

But before Liv could even express her conditions, May went ahead to silence the room. If they knew it wasn’t him then why were they wasting time? Typical, probably were going to say the kid did it to calm the public. “I could have told you that he didn’t do it. He couldn’t have.” it seemed she had some sort of blind faith him him, but in truth she simply knows he wouldn’t or he would have displayed that tendency around her on the many occasions they were together.

“Are they planning to accuse him? Or are they finally going to finally do something about it?” May probably knew more about it than Liv did, all the nurse had was speculation and ideas about what the Ministry wanted to do about it. “Fine, I’ll get you the wolfsbane but my conditions are, I’m going too, and you don’t kill it. We trap it and it’s something that shouldn’t be decided by us.” Perhaps Liv was living a fantasy, but she hopped that May wold accept to her conditions without arguing too much. It should be Travis decision, Liv was against any form of revenge, but it wasn’t her choice to make, and if May hadn’t been instructed to do so by the Ministry then it wasn’t hers as well.

Olivia earned a blank stare when she claimed she could've told May that Travis didn't do it. The appeal to the heart was never something that worked when it came to the field of Magical Law Enforcement, and the Dhampir had hoped Olivia would know better; for a moment, she couldn't help feel mildly disappointed. It let her know the half-Veela was way in over her head when it came to the matter at hand and just as biased as the rest of them, even if in the opposite side of the spectrum. Such claims never held any water in court for a normal human being, let alone for a widely feared species.

Disappointment shifted to surprise as the nurse proceeded to (unsuccessfully) strong-arm her into giving in to incredibly unreasonable demands. To cage the beast? To let Olivia tag along? While caging in itself was a two or more person job, unless she happened to be proficient like May was, it was likely that she'd only get in the way. May pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration.

'What a mess.'

"You don't get to ask me that. I can go find Wolfsbane elsewhere." She stated as a matter of fact once her hand descended from her own face. "I gave you the courtesy of letting you know what I plan to do. The least you could do in return is trying not to twist my arm about it." Perhaps she deserved it - it was a breach of trust, and in a way one could perceive it as revenge for what May had done all those years ago. Nevertheless, she tried to keep her cool in front of her friend.

"Nevertheless, caging a werewolf is a tougher feat than killing one. And if you present the werewolf to this Travis kid and he decides to kill him, well, then I can't save his ass before the Ministry. I'm fairly sure they want to knock out two birds with one stone on this one, and you're just giving them more material to do so with right there."

Liv was curious to know if the ministry planned to go after the boy, it was a genuine concern, she knew that May probably couldn’t tell her anything, she understood that, but May had to understand that it wasn’t easy for Liv, she was a mere spectator who was worried about someone. Couldn’t May understand that? Wouldn’t she have done the same if it was Liv in her shoes? She couldn’t go act all high and mighty when she would have done the same or worse, but Olivia wasn’t going to hold that against May, she knew the Dhampir meant to harm to her or the boy, she couldn’t’ shake off the feeling of uselessness by just being there, without being able to do something.

“You only came to me to ask for Wolfsbane, if I hadn’t asked would you have told me the reason of it in the first place?” May was secretive, she probably wouldn’t have given Liv the information on her own free will if the half-veela hadn’t asked, Liv also assumed May was acting on her own, she wouldn’t have gone to ask for something so specific, which made Liv assume that was the only reason May had gone there. Liv was thorn, on one hand she wanted things to workout with May but on the other hand she wasn’t sure she could trust May completely, which was the main reason why she wanted to tag along.

“Are you against me going or the boy? Or both?” Liv lacked May’s hunting skills, but Liv wasn’t stupid, and she was far more resourceful than what the Dhampir gave her credit for. “I’m surprised you didn’t learn how to cage one, I sure as hell did.” Caging one tough, but not impossible if everyone did their part and knew a thing or two about werewolves. “You do know you have a better fighting chance with Silver, but I guess I’m not experienced enough to know that.” Liv said, retrieving to her desk to find the supplier’s name, if May thought she knew more she could use the wolfsbane from the supplier, if she stopped to listen to others, she could have a fighting chance.

Liv wasn’t exactly being rational, but May wasn’t helping her either. Once she copied the number, she went back to May to give it to her. “You’re not the only that did this before.”

May's eyes squinted in confusion as Olivia spoke. What was with the accusation of the Dhampir only showing up there for wolfsbane? That hadn't even been in her mind when she came to visit in the first place, and Olivia knew that. To May, it indicated the half-Veela was becoming far too influenced by her emotions to make a rational judgement, something that didn't bode too well for their little exchange.

Indeed, accusations and rushed conclusions started to fly around like no one's business. She wasn't even given much room to reply while Olivia threw various passive aggressive statements at her. She shook her head at first in denial of her words, but couldn't keep up, let alone know where to start. She could feel the temperature of the room rise mildly with the sudden spike of anger emanating from their misunderstanding, something that left May deeply uncomfortable despite the distance between them.

Truth be told, she didn't want either to go - one of the reasons why was in display right then and there. With such raging emotions, things could go haywire very easily: whether it would put their lives in danger, or their futures. Olivia was displaying that she wasn't to be trusted to keep her emotions in check, reinforcing May's mindset; if she couldn't, how could she trust a werewolf to do the same?

It seemed Olivia also knew how to hunt a werewolf, but it was deeply ironic that she was underestimating May in turn while making that statement. She had allowed herself to imagine what sort of thing the nurse had done in her travels out of her having previously stated running into trouble once or twice... But she had ran into werewolves, and had to cage them? That formed a knot in May's stomach as she hadn't been there to help. Hell, she hadn't been there to prevent the situation in the first place.

"Don't..." As Olivia stepped towards her, the heat became too much to bear. The Dhampir quickly shuffled backwards until her back hit the wall, a bead of sweat rolling off her forehead so to indicate her discomfort. "Don't come closer. I don't think I can take that..." Stupid weakness. For all the danger she put herself through, it was quite pathetic that sunlight and hot temperatures were her kryptonite.

"First things first... I didn't come here for Wolfsbane. You know that. I know that. And honestly, I figured you'd catch on by yourself since it was on topic." Had she overestimated her? "And I don't want either of you to go because, since you're both halfbreed people, the Ministry won't take so kindly to it if you're caught being involved. Better me than you in that regard, because most of the time they don't care what I do." In retrospect, Olivia was quite lucky that May was the understanding sort - most others would have taken the paper and left.

"I don't know the details, but I get what you're saying. It's just you're making a really hard case for yourself in terms of coming across as someone I can trust to come along and stick to a plan, for the both of you."