Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
November, 2019 :: Spring

Invite Today Is Not A Good Day To Die

Flinders ☆ Fifth Year ✩ Kirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ He/Him

He should've known better. Those words kept repeating themselves in Ian's head ever since he's managed to cool down enough to regain a strand of coherent thought back in the Hospital Wing, having been sent by the day's Defense Against the Dark Arts lecturer to the nurse's office after the boy's panic attack in the middle of class. He had wanted to help - to gain the Flinders more points - but he had made a fool of himself instead, caused more trouble than he was worth, and possibly let things be revealed that would be best left untouched.

To make matters worse, Olivia Teagarden had been the one tending to him once Meadow had dragged him all the way to her office - if she knew of what happened and how much it affected the young Dhampir, then Ian was certain that May would know eventually know by proxy, as both were close. That meant that he just gave his sister a million reasons to worry about him something that worked entirely against his own agenda.

It had been a solid hour since he first had the panic attack, but he had calmed down since; eventually discharged from the Hospital Wing (even if told to take it easy), the Flinders boy quickly shuffled on back to the Kookynie Halls and to his dormitory. While he was mostly calm and rational, he could feel the aftermath of the event shaking him to his core as his knees and hands were still quite wobbly, even as he tried to sip a glass of sugar water.

Setting the cup down on his nightstand, the boy sat down on his bed, rested his elbows atop his knees and brought his pale face to his hands, fingers burying themselves in the then unruly dark hair.

'I'm so screwed...'

Flinders ☆ Fourth Year ☆ StudentSilverion
14 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ he/him

What Ian would hear next would be the sound of a door opening nearby, signalling that another Flinders student would be present. And to Ian's possible relief, it was none other than his roommate, Gideon. The younger student was positively blue in the face, metaphorically speaking of course, and wouldn't change to one of surprise when he looked up and saw that Ian was there as well. He could recall the problem the student faced during the DADA class today, how he wasn't able to handle the Boggart properly, and was discharged from the class. Gideon could only just wait for the class to finish before he could go to him, and once he actually was able to, to his dismay he was already discharged from the Hospital Wing, with no lead over where he went.

The fact he chose to go to the Common Room was actually more of a lucky guess, as he was more there to sulk for a moment rather than actively looking for him. To have found Ian there made him feel glad, but also concerned. "Ian? Oh thank god I found you." He said, as he walked to be next to his roommate. "I saw you being taken away during the DADA class, are you okay? How do you feel?" He was clearly worried for him, as seen by his face and his rather fast speech.

The sound of footsteps walking through the hallway of the Flinders' boys dormitory didn't disturb Ian too much at first - despite his distress, he was wholly aware that it was lunch time and students had been released from their classes, some of which rushing to their rooms to change clothes or grab money to each outside or anything else they wished; Gideon's scent only hit the Dhampir's nostrils when the younger of the two was right at the door, which made it so Ian dropped his hands from his face in a vain attempt to make it look like things weren't as bad off as they seemed.

As predicted, his roommate displayed nothing but concern for his mental state. Despite him being quite pale - moreso than usual, given his natural complexion - the fifth year forced a smile as he looked up at Gideon, giving it his all in an attempt to have him worry slightly less.

"I'm sorry." He spoke, hoping to Merlin he wouldn't notice how clammy Ian's skin had become from the whole ordeal. He likely needed a shower rather than a meal. "I'm okay, my apologies for worrying you. I suppose that for all my bravado, I wasn't too ready to face my fears..." He let out a nervous chuckle as he desperately hoped that Gideon would put it all behind him - he wanted to at least be able to calm down and gather his thoughts before May burst through the door to demand an explanation.

"Sorry? What do you have to feel sorry for?" If anything, it should be Gideon who needed to apologize for disturbing him at that moment, considering how Ian definitely didn't look so well at the moment. It was unknown to Gideon what kind of fear Ian had over noticing his skin, but he did think that perhaps he was close to sweating thanks to the surprise. "You don't need to apologize for that, you didn't think about how others would react at that moment." They were facing their worst fears in a controlled environment, putting up a brave face would have only caused unnecessary problems later down the line.

And then, he went towards the older member and gave him a small pat. "The Boggarts are meant to show our deepest fears, so that reaction is more than understandable." It was a weird thing to feel, but in a way, at least Ian had a proper grasp of his fears. Try as much as he could, he didn't understand the meaning behind his own Boggart, what is was meant to represent. "What matters is that it's not there anymore. You are here now, safe and sound. How about we try getting your mind off of it?"

Ian was having a hard time wrapping his head around Gideon's approach to the matter. Unlike what he expected (perhaps because the three women guiding his life were somewhat noisy when it came to his well being) the younger Flinders wasn't making a single question regarding the nature of the Boggart, why it had taken that form, and what had occurred for that complex to grow to begin with. Instead, he was checking on him and trying to move on. It made for an unprecedented sense of relief to wash over the young Dhampir. It seemed that he'd have some respite before facing off with May over things.

With the pat, a small smile broke through his lips. His legs were still shaking, his heart was still beating up a storm, but the camaraderie calmed him down despite what his body was haphazardly indicating. Running his hands through his somewhat soaked hair, the boy nodded towards his friend after taking a deep breath.

"...Yeah, you're right." The temperature his own body was emanating from all the stress was starting to bother him, as he was always sensitive to heat. "Other than me taking a shower, I think I can leave it up to you to decide... But maybe we should go eat something first?" Defense Against the Dark Arts had been the last lecture prior to lunch time, and Ian was starting to feel bad over holding Gideon back from much needed sustenance.

At the very least, the comfort he was providing proved to be good for Ian's mental health, seeing how the older Flinders looked more at ease than before. In fact, he even opted for taking in his offer, which made Gideon feel at ease himself, knowing his efforts worked pretty well. "I wouldn't mind something to eat. Hehe, and if you want to shower now, feel free to do it, I can wait." He answered, giving Ian enough space, metaphorically speaking, to catch himself after such a bad experience. "Would you prefer finding something here? Or maybe try and hit town? I know of at least a couple places we could go."

"Really?" It would be quick, anyway, Ian figured - removing a layer of sweat from his body shouldn't take an awfully long time if one were to count on the fact he had already showered earlier that day and wasn't particularly dirty otherwise. Plus, if they were going out as Gideon seemed to want to, Ian would have a great excuse as any for a cozy clothing change.

'And a hat. And some sunscreen. Better safe than sorry, even in this weather...'

"Well, in that case... Gimme five minutes, okay?" The mildly shaky young man quickly got up from his seat and shuffled towards the shared wardrobe, opening one of his own drawers and retrieving a neatly folded towel. He also took out some street clothes to change into after washing himself. The boy was starting to hope the cold water he planned on soaking himself with would serve to reawaken whatever it was that was fumbling within his body and causing his nerves to shake so badly for no reason at that point.

"I'll leave it for you to decide where we go." With a final salute and a forced grin, he was out the door. The Dhampir was back not five minutes after, having jogged to and from the Flinders showers with frightening speed - he was not human, after all - and didn't break a sweat in his return, making it so his efforts weren't foiled by the little exercise.

As soon as he came back, he smiled a bit at his roommate before folding his towel and placing it back where it belonged - he had dried it out with magic - and started to look for his sunscreen. "Where did I put it...?" He grumbled under his breath while going through his own things.

Gideon merely gave him a nod, as he noticed Ian getting his supplies for the shower. While he was waiting, he thought of perhaps checking out a book to read, despite the possibly short time it might take for Ian to shower and get ready. "Sure thing! Don't slip with the soap." He replied, as he saw the older student leave. After those five minutes, Ian would find Gideon sitting on the bed, reading a newspaper he found lying around, probably property of one of the older students. "Ah, hey there Ian." He said, closing the newspaper as he noted that apparently there was something else he missed. "Mmmh? What are you looking for?" He already got up and walked close to him to see if he could help him with whatever he needed to get.

"Sunscreen. It should be somewhere around..." Ian let the words die in his throat momentarily as he scrounged through his own belongings, looking for the aforementioned object. It only took him a few additional seconds before retrieving the sought after package, holding it in his hand as he closed the shut the closet's door in victory. "...Here. That's a relief..." It was unlikely that he'd burn to a crisp in that weather, but better safe than sorry.

His nose had helped him in the search for the lotion, but from then on, it'd be mostly useless - his problem was to face his sister later down the line after all, and no amount of sniffing around would make up for the blunder of words that would potentially exit his mouth. Not wanting to think about it as it made his heart race too much for his liking (and, in a way, flared his anxiety back up minimally), the boy sat down in front of a mirror and started applying the sunscreen to his face in slow, faint strokes.

"Have you thought of where to go?" The Dhampir decided to start the idle chatter, not wanting Gideon to be bored out of his mind while waiting for the older Flinders. That would be very rude on Ian's part, now, wouldn't it?

The search was for some sunscreen, a rather common utility for someone like Ian. Gideon tried to give him a hand by searching for the item as well, but ultimately it was him who eventually found it. Not noting the hesitation Ian had has he thought of his sister, Gideon merely watched as Ian began to apply it. "Well... I was thinking maybe checking out someplace close and quiet, like Basil's. That way we don't have to leg it to Melbourne, eh?" He said, before something came to mind.

"Oh! Ian, I was thinking," He started, a small gesture done with his hands. "Have you thought of inviting someone else? Maybe someone that'd help you be more at ease? A bit of company wouldn't hurt."

A chuckle came out at the little joke about Melbourne. They had no way of going there without requesting some help, and given that he wanted to avoid May for as long as he could, it wasn't exactly on top of his priority list; plus, nagging Robin or Olivia about it would have it reach his sister's ears one way or another nonetheless. They had to make do with what they had, which was Narragyambie. Perhaps it was for the best - Gideon wasn't a fifth year yet and couldn't head out on his own without someone covering for him, and that was something Ian would gleefully help with.

"I suppose we could go to Basil's, yeah." He finally said with a nod. He had never bothered to visit the Internet Cafe much, but now that his sister had given him a laptop, he probably should. The boy looked over at the magic-proof gadget sitting atop his desk, making up his mind about it. Maybe he and Gideon could play some game together there. "I'll take my laptop along, if you want." He voiced his thoughts. He didn't know much about games, and past Lexi teaching him the ins and outs of that media he'd probably need Gideon's help.

As far as it went for people he'd like to bring along, he quickly thought of May, only to shoot himself down immediately. Given the situation he found himself in, that was likely a bad idea. While he didn't actively need someone to tag along with them to begin with, he assumed some socialization could potentially help all involved. He thought of Lexi as well, given the fresh thought of his laptop in his mind. "Maybe we should ask Lexi to come along? It'll be fun." He was entirely unaware of the fact the Stewart sisters had just left school to go to the Sweet Tooth bakery, but planned on check the Spencer dormitories nonetheless.

His smile only grew when Ian accepted the proposal, which was definitely good for Gideon's intent; to have his roommate do something to distract him from the events of today. He has only gone there a few times, and while there were probably better options out there, Basil's was just reliable and trustworthy enough to suit their needs now. After all, this probably wouldn't have been the best moment to hit the town and check out something new, he preferred a more safe option he knew would keep the two satisfied. "Sure, take it!"

In regards to companions, Ian's final choice came to be Lexi, Chloe's sister. "Ooooh." Considering the kind of interest he has taken for Chloe, he would already known of Lexi, and since she was pretty neat, he had no objections in adding her. "Alright, I don't mind. Although I do recall Chloe had to run away after her turn in class was over, we'd have to check up on her to see if Lexi is with her or not."

Upon the confirmation, Ian quickly reached to the backpack he had used throughout that day and brought it over to his desk. One by one, he took each book and material out and put them all atop the desk neatly, up until the point the bag was completely empty; then, he carefully slid the laptop inside, along with the outer fan, mouse, pad and charger. He took the opportunity to also put his wallet in the bag after double checking its contents, not wanting to end up accidentally having the younger Flinders cover for both their meals and internet usage.

He hoisted the bag over his shoulder while Gideon spoke up again. "She didn't." Ian shook his head. "Chloe sat behind me with Lexi, actually. Neither seemed okay. Here's hoping they're doing better now... Though, if anything, this little outing of ours could serve to bring everyone's spirits back up, no?" The anxiety-riddled Dhampir said with a forced smile as he reached for his usual blood thermos, taking a sip to give himself a much needed rush of energy.

"Hm... I don't know if we should have Chloe tag along. She's never seemed like the type to just go somewhere and hang out. Then again, most I know about her is from the dojo, so, I'unno..." Ian scratched his cheek, embarrassed at not having picked up much about the girl at all. He hoped Gideon would have more of an insight than he, even if he deemed it even more unlikely that he knew the Sturt personally at all. "Then again, doesn't hurt to be polite..."