Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Melbourne ☆ Journalist at The Mage Newspaper, WriterKirupachi
25 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Diana had very much been looking forward to that day - it was a rite of passage in the Wizarding World, the day one finally had the opportunity to acquire the various materials that would help them throughout the first school year; and, more importantly, the day when their first wand would be purchased. It was an important day in Gideon's life and she battled heaven and hell to be able to be present, despite her crippling schedule.

It caught her off guard that the Fairgoods had requested her to bring Theodore along to purchase what he needed for his second year. Even if she didn't get along with the boy too much, she couldn't exactly deny the request: she lived in the couple's home after all, and to do so would be nothing short of rude. An Apparition to Narragyambie and some involuntary retching later on the part of the young boy, and they set off to pick up Gideon from the Whitlam Bilby dormitories.

"Now, where should we start...?" Diana pondered aloud as the trio wandered down Tallygarunga Road. They had to go for Theodore's books, even if Gideon's were already covered for; it felt like where they should go first, if only to get the obnoxious young boy's things out the way and so she could properly focus on Gideon's big day. "Let's buy Ted's books first. You get to look around in the meantime, hm?" The blonde led the pair into such a store, and let Theodore go gather whatever it was she needed while standing near the entrance of the store.

Wrapping an arm around her brother's shoulders as a simple gesture of affection, she smiled at him. "How are you feeling? Ready to start a new chapter of your life?" The mild pun brought a smile to Diana's own lips as she was a writer by trade.

Flinders ☆ Fourth Year ☆ StudentSilverion
14 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ he/him

This would be quite a day.

After spending years at the Whitlam Bilby division, Gideon Sharpe was finally at the age where he could attend the main school area: Tallygarunga. Part of him was rather scared of the brand new environment he had to face, but at the same time, he couldn't felt but sense a bit of excitement! The wizardly world that Diana showed him was filled with much more wonders than he could imagine, and given what she told him about Tallygarunga, it would only get better from here on out, albeit a lot more difficult as well.

And in order to prepare himself for said difficulties, the siblings were doing a shopping spree to get the material he needs. A lot of the stuff he had was mostly inherited by Diana, but there were some things they could only purchase, including his very first wand! However, something that caught him off-guard was how they would only accompany another kid. Diana was friends with a family who's kid was roughly his age, and to be honest... The main reason he was nervous was not just starting the new year, but also being around Theodore. The boy was a big jerk, and it made him cling to Diana very closely through the entire walk.

Their first stop was a book store, where Theo could go ahead and buy his books, leaving Gideon and Diana alone. The tinier boy merely looked around in both wonder and ambivalence, until Diana spoke to him, feeling her arm around him. "Uuumh... I think so." He said, not looking as ready as he claimed to be, shifting a little bit as if to nudge himself closer to her. "I was told that Tally was very spooky by my classmates..." Although, little did Diana know, those classmates were also being mean to him.

"You don't look so sure of yourself." Diana spoke in a low tone, although she gave her little brother a small encouraging smile. She squeezed his shoulder in the hold with a hand before continuing. "It will be okay. It's... Strange, in some aspects." The smile widened as she remembered the hijinks she had gotten herself into back in the day alongside Kyle, May and Olivia - they were truly precious memories to her. "But I think you'll like it. Trust me."

"Spooky? Well it depends." Said Theodore as he strolled up with a cart full of books, such as 'Magical Drafts and Potions', 'The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2', 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi', among others. "You come across as a Flinders to me, so I don't think you'll run into the ghosts too often. Unless someone drags you there."

"Ted..." Diana wanted to chide the boy, but she was unsure how to scold a child that wasn't hers. She was limited to sighing in disappointment while Theodore gave the siblings a smug grin. "Just... Go buy your books, will you? Mr. Fairgood told me they gave you the money for them."

"Yeah, yeah." The blonde boy left the pair behind to pay for his books while Diana pulled Gideon into a tighter hold. "Don't mind him... You'll be okay. I promise. And if anything happens, just contact me, okay? I'll come to you immediately."

He definitely didn't get any better when Diana noticed the way he didn't answer very confidently. A wavy frown appeared in his face, which she tried to soothe by a small squeeze and a smile from her. "Y-You really think so?" He said, his eyes now looking a little but more curious. A little bit more eager. An eagerness that dropped ever so slightly with the arrival of Theo holding many books, as well giving him a bit of insight regarding ghosts.

"D-Drag me? Can they do that?" He said, looking rather spooked by Theo's words. Diana managed to make him walk away, but it did little to alleviate his fears, at least until she actually held him closer. "Aaah... You'd do that, big sis?" He asked, visibly relaxing at her hold. "But... I don't want others to laugh at me..."

Could they do that? Yes, absolutely, but Diana didn't have the heart to tell Gideon such a thing while the boy was already terrified. It was a magical school - in theory, students could do whatever the hell they wanted to one another as they had a weapon of mass destruction at their beck and call, and it was only a matter of them mastering it. She knew some were very liberal with its use as well, especially if they belonged in the Sturt or Spencer houses.

"Now, what reason do they have to laugh at you?" Diana tilted her head at the young boy, placing her free hand on his cheek. Perhaps it was her own bias, but she didn't see a thing that could lead into Gideon becoming a laughing stock. That was, of course, ignoring the fact he looked like a prime target for bullies: but, at that point, she trusted the school would get in touch with her so to have it handled. "Ted's just trying to get under your skin. Are you gonna let him?"

Looking at the aforementioned boy, he was stepping forth in line to get his books checked out. Diana sighed - he was hard to get along with, but she knew better. He cared for Gideon. He had an odd way of showing it, but if anything, it was a layer of protection that he had but didn't realize it.

"Because... Well... People are, mean, and stuff." There was clear reluctance in his voice, as even he couldn't understand why he would get such a treatment. Of course, not everyone was mean to him during his time at Bilby, but quite a handful took advantage of the fact he was an outsider, an outlier, and one very easy to push around as well. But that was quite a question: Would he let Theo get under his skin? "Uumh... No...?" The answer was No, of course, but it was hard for him to get it out considering how Theodore would often take advantage of him, and how he wasn't use if he could even stand up to the older kid.

And speaking of which, he was already standing in the queue line to purchase his books, something which made Gideon curious. "So... You will give me all my books?" He said, looking up to his older sister. "Do we need to purchase anything for me?" Would he get one of those messenger owls too? Hopefully not, owls are spooky!

"Yes, I don't think we need anything from here. The first year subjects are the same for the most part, I'll see to it you get whatever you're missing if you happen to pick different electives." If her memory served, they had Flying, Muggle Studies, Ancient Runes and Divination as options. Unfortunately, she didn't recall which ones Theodore took on with accuracy; but, if she had to take a guess, she would say Muggle Studies and Ancient Runes were more his style.

"From other places... We have to get you some clothes. Work robes, a hat, protective gloves, the usual." Herbology, in particular, needed those; she doubted hers would fit him, and that Theo would be willing to part with what belonged to his favorite subject. "You could also use a Remembrall, a cauldron, phials, scales... And most importantly, a wand."

It didn't take too long for Theodore to rejoin them. His books were all neatly packed in two bags that Diana promptly took from him so to lighten the load - she was the adult, after all. "Are you done here?"

"Yeah. Let's introduce the baby to proper magic now, shall we?" Diana had to keep herself from rolling her eyes at the boy, and she led Gideon out of the store. Theodore quickly followed the siblings, though it only took a few steps for him to call out for them once again. "Actually, hang on. I think I messed up."

Diana blinked in confused as the blonde boy took one of the bags and went through its books. Shortly after he started rummaging, he found what he was looking for and took it out - a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, by Newt Scamander. Diana's brows furrowed - as far as she knew, the Sturt hadn't bothered taking on the Care for Magical Creatures subject that year.

"I got a duplicate. I thought so, I saw it through the plastic." Theodore lied through his teeth. He looked at the store for a moment before shrugging, pressing the book to Gideon's chest instead. "You keep it, you'll need it next year anyway. Can't be bothered to go back in that hell hole."

"Mmmmh..." When she made that mention, Gideon began to think over the kind of electives he had. He already knew of the four he has open for him at first year, which weren't a lot compared to the amount he will get in the future. Muggle Studies seemed to be the closest thing to the kind of classes he used to have back home, so that was already something he would opt for, but for the three remaining classes? There was only one that called to him. "I'd be taking Muggle Studies and Flying. Would we have materials for those?"

She then kept talking about other elements he would need for his studies, and among them, the one thing that got him interested was the mention of the wand. Often he has seen her utilize it as the catalyst for her spells, and very often he wanted to try one out of his own, an endeavor that was fruitless considering how she'd often tell him that wands were a more personal thing than he thought, and thus made him wait anxiously for this day. However, his enthusiasm was quickly cut short when Theodore arrived again with all his items. The insult he gave Gideon made him look at the older kid ambivalent, remaining close to Diana for protection. "..."

But as they were making their way out, it turned out that Theo made a mistake, and got himself an additional book. 'Fantastic Creatures and Where to Find Them'? Wasn't that one of the books for one of the later subject? If it wasn't for the fact that was a second year subject, he would have taken it. And then, as if Theo was reading his mind, he went ahead and gave the book to Gideon. "W-What? ... uh, okay?" He said, very confused by his gesture. He wasn't going to reject it, this would come in hand from later in his course. But did he have to get it from him...?

Flying? The very thought sent an involuntary shiver down Diana's spine. She was very much afraid of heights and anybody who knew her when she was Gideon's age could attest to the fact maneuvering a broom wasn't the strongest skill she had; it was downright miraculous that she had even survived the very first class, having quickly shifted from Flying to Muggle Studies after that particular incident which she didn't want to dwell on for too long; unfortunately, imagining Gideon flying around on a broom had almost the exact same effect on the journalist.

"They should provide you with a broom... As far as Muggle Studies go, if Ted doesn't have it, I do."

It didn't take too long for Theodore to make his move and hand Gideon the book. A small smile tugged at Diana's lips as she figured out what the boy was doing, out of watching him grow up - for as much of a negative reputation that boy attracted to himself, he certainly knew how to look after those he saw as his people.

"Thank you, Ted." She spoke up once noticing her brother failed to thank the boy. Predictably enough, Theodore rolled his eyes and shrugged.

"Whatever. Let's roll, this is all his show now and my personal chauffeur recuses to leave him on his own." Theodore scratched the back of his scalp while looking around. Spotting a convenient next target, he pointed out at a store that sold various magical items. On his own, he wandered towards the shop, knowing it to be the next thing on the list; Diana's eyes followed the young man, and then realized where they were headed.

"Next up on your supplies list is a Remembrall." She spoke up to her little brother, remembering said school provided list by heart. "Do you know what that is?" She asked while guiding the boy towards the store, and hopefully indoors.

Would it be considered cheating? To get books from someone else that already had to go through the subject? He wasn't sure if they were clean slates or if perhaps Diana had written something in there to guide him along, but at least it would mean less of a burden on her pockets if she were to hand them over to him. Yes, he would prefer getting them from her than anything from Theodore, wanting nothing to do with the mean boy.

And then, he spoke up, wanting to continue the trip before his eyes went towards a store nearby. Given how neither were following him, Gideon turned to his sister with an expectant look, as she mentioned that their next item would be a Rememberall. At the pop quiz, Gideon looked at her thoughtfully, and gave her a dry response. "My classmates said they are useless. Something about telling you about things you forgot, but not telling you what..."