Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Melbourne ☆ Australia National Quidditch Team Seeker, Living Merch MachineKirupachi
22 year old Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Jamie didn't understand what it was about Narragyambie that drew him in so much. Was it his family? Was it the quietness? The nature? The memories? Or perhaps an amalgamation of all of those things? His frequent complaint that he needed something to do with his free time from training manifested in the man visiting the small town in what he could picture his twin sister argue being an unhealthy amount of times. That particular Sunday, he had decided to visit his mother on her day off after requesting an Apparation trip from Shane, whom soon teleported back to Melbourne, leaving the Seeker on his own.

His mother and other relatives weren't, however, the only people or general attractions to him in that area, as it turned out. Once sufficiently satisfied with the time he spent with his family members, the Quidditch star headed out for a walk through town - take the sights in, greet a few friends, perhaps even check out one of the myriad of houses for sale in the region, as he planned to move. His feet eventually led him to the main street of the town, Tallygarunga Road, and he walked down it at a leisure pace.

Strangely, what caught his attention that afternoon hadn't been Zoom's Brooms; rather, it was a simple Muggle art supply shop standing at a corner. Drawn to the window with the various supplies visible, the former Bourke glanced over the various items, not understanding a thing.

It was an odd feeling to realize that he didn't know that much about his sister's career path. He knew that she had the same issue, being a Squib, but at least she had tried to support him a few months ago by offering him new goggles. Perhaps it was time he gave her the same type of help. Though, he was faced with an issue - he didn't know what was what. Why were pencils graded differently? Why were there so many different types of paper? Why were there so many versions of a color that looked the exact same? What were those utensils he's never heard of?

"...Now I know how she feels..." The man muttered in defeat as his eyes squinted at the various items. What should he buy for a cartoonist?

Bourke ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Student, Quidditch Chaser, Paper GirlTecri
17 year old Halfblood Human ☆ she/her

After a walk in the park, Aspen found herself walking across the Tallygarunga Road. It had been a while since she visited some of these shops, when she was younger, she used to go there pretty much all the time, perhaps because her father was a muggle, he couldn’t see past the illusions she could, which always ended up in her upset that she couldn’t get inside some. It couldn’t have been easy raising three kids with magical abilities like her and her siblings. She walked into a store, but her time inside was short, they didn’t have what she wanted, and being eyed by one of the clerks were making her feel uncomfortable, like she was some sort of delinquent. Her next stop would an arts and crafts store.

As usual it was not the busiest store on the street, it was either filled with moms, children or art enthusiasts. She walked inside and visited the small yarn section they had, a bit expensive but she was certain that MJ was going to love a new pouch for her needles and her yarn. Picking the item, Aspen noticed a familiar face from the corner of her eye, it was Jamie Collins. She stopped in place, her heart started to beat faster than it was, and she had met him before, it didn’t stop her from going fangirl over the fact that he was there.

She quietly approached Jamie and touched his arm. “Hello.” She greeted him, her voice was a bit shaky, being hard to contain the enjoyment to meet someone like him again, especially in a place like that. Muggles didn’t know who he was, so she wasn’t at risk of being interrupted by anyone. “I don’t know if you remember me, I’m Aspen Clarke. We met once.” She smiled a bit sheepishly at the older male, trying to hold onto the new pouch for her sister and trying to keep her cool around him.

Melbourne ☆ Australia National Quidditch Team Seeker, Living Merch MachineKirupachi

A light touch upon his arm brought Jamie out of his endless confusion when faced with so many nameless items with a variety of properties - which ones would Alex even have given any use as a cartoonist? Looking to his side he saw a familiar face, one that made him relax as he let a small smile in greeting spread across his lips - it wasn't an harasser in any way, and thus he didn't need to put his guard up.

"Hey. Yeah, I do, don't worry." A chuckle broke out as he nodded towards Aspen. It wasn't every day that Jamie'd go out of his way to greet someone at the behest of a friend - as such, he remembered his meeting with the Bourke vividly. Not only that, but he had watched one of her matches: the girl held some promise in the sport, and he hoped he'd be able to play in the same team as her at some point in the future.

"How have you been?" As he asked her the fairly innocuous question, he noticed she was carrying what seemed to be a pouch to store craftsmanship items. "I didn't take you for the type to hang out in this sort of place." He rose a hand defensively, his grin widening as he continued. "No offense, of course."

When Jamie announced that he remembered her, Aspen was having a hard time believing it, but it seemed that he did. She was internally fangirling over that fact. While it wasn’t easy to have her show any strong emotion other than rage, she was trying hard to not to show how excited she was for finding him there of all the places. She took a deep breath trying to calm herself down, her heart was beating fast and her mind was screaming at her, telling her that Jamie Collins was right in front of her. She didn’t want to look like a fool but the stupid and huge grin on her face was a big indicator of how she was feeling.

His question brought her back from fangirl land and she tried to act as normal as she could. “I’ve been good…” she wasn’t sure if she should announce or not that she will have a few meetings in the future, regarding her future as a Quidditch player, but Jamie wouldn’t be interested in hearing it. “…been worried about exams and all that.” She shrugged, trying to look cool, to look like she wasn’t just terrified of failing and missing a big shot, but somehow, she failed miserably at trying to look cool.

“I could say the same for you. I mean…you’re in one too…” she commented with a nervous chuckle. “I needed some time to think, wandered in here, thought something nice for my sister, she’s into knitting. What about you? What brings you here?”

"Nostalgic." Jamie let out a chuckle with the thought - exams had never been his forte, outside of Charms and dueling magic. Given his obsessive training regimens and lack of a will to study, it was a miracle that he ever got through his academical career the way he did: one could argue Shane was a bad influence in that regard as he was an even worse student in comparison.

"That's a coincidence if I've ever seen any. I'm here for my sister too actually." Watching the items carefully perched at the window still, the man looked as puzzled as ever - almost if he was looking at some sort of ancient alphabet and had to make heads and tails of it.

"She's a cartoonist. She's been going through a bit of a hard time lately, so I wanted to get her something nice. Do you have any idea what's what here...?" His brows furrowed mildly. He doubted it, given Aspen's open admittance of not being there for herself, but the fact she had some items already picked out meant she at least knew a *little*, which was, by all accounts, more than what he knew as it was.

She hardly thought that would bring good memories, it surely didn’t for her. Aspen was a good student, good enough to pass without worrying too much that she should quit quidditch, she worked hard to be able to maintain both, along with house chores, which have become easy thanks to be able to do them with magic, it was a time saver. But exams were different than tests and classed, it was the lingering pressure to do good enough to continue to do what she loved, she had Lisa’s help, at least the Sturt paid more attention than she did, and it was helping Aspen focus on things other than quidditch and practice.

It was hard to hide the surprise look on her face, she didn’t know he had a sister. Was she into arts? Was she attending Tally alongside Aspen and she had no idea? Perhaps she was older? Aspen’s curiosity peeked, she realized she knew a lot about Jamie’s game, but the only thing she knew about his personal life was from gossip, and nothing mentioned a sister. Her eyes widened before the euphoric feeling of the new knowledge was over.

When he told her what his sister was, Aspen looked at him. Cartoonist seemed more of a muggle job than a wizard one, but she wasn’t going to pry, he seemed to be telling her all about it without her need to poke around. “Well, as I said, I mostly know about knitting because of my sister.” She shrugged before taking a look at the items. If his sister was a cartoonist, meant she was into drawing.

“How about a sketch book and some sketching pencils? Maybe those black markets? If she’s a cartoonist she probably likes to draw right?” it was a very stupid idea on her side. Obviously he knew that would be needed, he just couldn’t find them, Aspen was having a hard time figuring stuff out too, except for sketch books, those were big and with good paper? Right? “I know as much as you, but those things over there look like sketch books.”

"Hm..." The man scratched his beard with his left hand while he nose wrinkled at the response, eyes moving to a nearby shelf with a myriad of supplies. He hadn't expected Aspen to know a thing about it at all, yet he felt somewhat demoralized by the confirmation of his assumption. Should he just pick an item at random and hope his head would stay in place once he delivered the goods to their rightful owner?

As she spoke again, he looked at Aspen and nodded. "A sketch book? I suppose... Maybe one enchanted to hold infinite pages? I think I can pull that off." A grin filled his lips with the idea. He had always displayed a talent in charms - could it be that he could pull off the deed? If he couldn't, perhaps he could ask Cole instead to help him out. Last he heard Alex had gotten a forever lasting type of pencil from him too. Last case scenario, if he bought it, he'd just have to tell Jamie where.

"Let's see..." Perhaps out of habit of having so much money available to him, Jamie drifted towards the more expensive, hard cover sketchbooks around the area Aspen had pointed out. It was near thirty dollars but it looked durable - thread bound, with a rounded corner cardboard cover, acid free paper, a bookmark, an elastic enclosure, and an expandable inner pocket. "Never thought there'd be so much detail put into a sketchbook. What do you think?" He held up the little book for Aspen to see, getting a second opinion just to be sure. The markers would come next.

She much of a help, she was as lost as he was, at least with knitting all she had to do is get some cool yarn and some knitting needles, she didn’t need to know what pencil did what, what kind of rubber the green one was, or the white one, she didn’t even need to know how many pages a sketch book had. Knitting was by far easier to shop for, and she was glad her sister had such a hobby, she couldn’t imagine the stress it would be to get her something Aspen knew nothing about.

“You can also get her a gift card.” she looked up at Jamie. It was probably the best choice, it was what she would have done, if the store allowed for it. “With that she can shop for whatever she wants or needs.” Aspen shrugged. It was a very impersonal gift, but when one is in a tight spot, it’s seems to be the only way out, that or he could ask the vendor to lend him a hand, which is someone they probably forgot that existed. “That should probably work, endless pages. She probably will like that.” She smiled at the idea, unsure if it was even possible to do such a thing.

Aspen followed the young man and watched the sketch books, they were all so expensive that her heart ached a little bit. She picked the sketchbook he had handed her, and she looked at it with an inquisitive look. “Looks like good paper, good for several markers…” she gave the book back to Jamie. “Next stop the markers I assume?”

"A gift card doesn't sound too personal..." Jamie answered after giving the idea some thought. "I don't know. I guess I want her to get something and think of me when she uses it? If that makes sense." Alex got him new glasses rather than a gift card. It felt like she had truly put effort into the matter, and the least he could do was repay in kind.

With a nod, he looked around to see if he could find the markers; or perhaps, the colored pencils. "That's the second part, sure. Maybe endless ink on those...?" If Cole had succeeded in enchanting a pencil, why wouldn't he succeed in charming a few pens? It would make for a solid gift as well, as the woman was a Squib - she was entirely removed from the magical world as a whole, and couldn't take advantages of the many conveniences magic could bring about. That was simply a way he had to help her cope with it.

"While we're at it... Have you checked out your items yet?" Jamie idly inquired as they walked down a second aisle once spotting a sign indicating that it had markers within.