Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Rainy days make the mind wander

Bourke ☆ Fourth Year Shio
16 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ He/Him

The scarf wasn’t going so well. Iggy held his work up to the light, looking over the stitching with a critical eye. The tension was wrong, maybe he should try a thicker gauge needle, or perhaps a yarn with more texture. 

With a heavy sigh, he began carefully unravelling at least half a metre of work, careful not to damage the yarn and winding it around his fingers for safekeeping. He pulled at his hair irritably, trying to get it to behave under all the pins and clips he had put in it that morning to no avail. It was always erratic in stormy weather, floating around his face and getting in the way.

It was cosy in the library with the heaters on and the rain beating against the windows outside. Of course that meant half the school was crowded inside after school, which meant it was difficult to be alone. Iggy had chosen one of the corners near the picture books, half buried in a bright green beanbag and propped up against one of the shelves. There were a number of tables scattered around this corner of the library, set up with chess boards and tabletop games for the students to use. 

In fact the beanbag Iggy was sitting in was part of a pair set up on either side of a card table, a chess board set out at the ready. But he was in the library alone and hardly expected anyone to ask him to play. He rubbed his eyes, already too tired to continue his failure of a craft project. He just needed some inspiration. Someone to wear the scarf, some idea of colours and textures to use. Making clothes with a particular person in mind was always easiest, but due to staying indoors catching up on his studies he hadn't had the opportunity to make any new friends.

Spencer ☆ Fifth Year ☆ StudentTecri
15 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her/Hers

Lexi’s punishment for everything that she had said to her grandparents was almost over, just a few more days and those awful people weren’t going to bully her sister and herself for the next few months, at least until it was time to visit them, but with Chloe’s licence they could just wander around without worrying too much about Satan.

She had to go to the library to get a few books before going up to her dorm, she couldn’t wait to get there, lay the books on the other bed and enjoy the sweet moment alone to play video games, that or she would try to see if her friend was available for a little friendly competition. The library was pretty much empty, minus the librarian that still sent child of terror down her back whenever she saw the woman. She walked around for a while, collecting the books she needed for classes. She wished she didn’t have spent so many days doing nothing doing the break, or playing pranks on her grandparents, so she could enjoy the classless days, but at the same time she knew she would have to continue to listen to them.

The young Spencer eventually ended up further into the library, in what seemed to be a more secluded place and where she found someone who didn’t seem to familiar, but by the looks of the clothing it was a Bourke, she didn’t know that many people in that house aside from the girl that worked at her father’s bakery. She waved lightly at the strange boy as she continued to approach him, putting the books down and making a rather loud bang when it hit the table. “Hi…” she greeted the boy as she pat, the books lightly.

“Sorry about the noise. I didn’t think I’d find anyone in this section of the library. Do you play?” she looked at him as her smile continued to grow as she pointed at the chess board. She wasn’t a very good player, she had a friend who played with her, let her win occasionally. “Oh sorry. I’m Lexi, a proud Spencer.” She pointed at her emblem. “And you are?”

Iggy was still lost in thought, his mind whirling with colours, textures and patterns so much that it took him a moment to realise he was being spoken to. He blinked, as if waking up and looked blankly at Lexi before he visibly startled. Apparently the loud slap of books dropping on the table in front of him hadn’t caught his attention, but then it was a library and students were always dramatically dropping their books everywhere. He’d learned to filter it out.

‘Oh! I’m sorry- What was it you were…’ 

He followed her pointing finger and his eyes landed on the chessboard. 

‘Oh no, I don’t really…’ He stopped, thinking for a moment before winding up his ball of yarn and tucking it away in his overflowing tote bag. ‘I’m complete rubbish, but if you’d still like to play…?’

His face was lit up with eagerness and he really hoped she would say yes. Chess and board games weren’t really one of Iggy’s strengths, but he did really enjoy the interaction and the level of thinking that went into them. Sometimes he just liked to watch the experts play, if only for the thrill of working out their strategies and catching a glimpse of the way brilliant minds worked. 

And maybe, just maybe she’d tell him about the colours she liked, maybe he could knit her something. He’d run out of ideas lately and a fresh perspective or an odd request was often the best way to kill his artists block.

She watched the boy for a few seconds until he reacted to her words, she assumed the books had made some noise, but it seemed that she was the one that was interrupting him as he didn’t even look surprised by the noise the books had made when they hit the wood. She scratched the back of her head and was about to pick her books as he continued to speak, but before she could lift them up the boy got some words out.

Lexi looked at the chess board once more and shook her head. “I’m not much of a player either.” She laughed a bit nervously. She had learnt from a friend, and sometimes he’d let her win so she wouldn’t be sad, but in the end, she was no good at chess. “I mean, if you’re in for a game so am I.” and while Chess wasn’t her type of game, nor something she was particularly good at, she did enjoy games, not for the competition but more for the fun moment.

The books were pushed back as she took a seat on a chair nearby. “I’m Lexi.” She spoke softly, she didn’t want to have the whole library telling her to shut up. She took another look at the other student before pulling the chess board closer to her. It was a normal board, the same a random muggle could use. “What’s your name?” she rearranged the pieces as she spoke, a smile always on her face. The boy seemed a bit nervous, but some random girl had just approached him, she couldn’t really blame him.

‘Oh, I’m Iggy.’ He began to set up the chess board, with the black pieces facing him. For some reason he had always preferred to play black, but it also just seemed polite to offer his opponent the chance to go first. He liked to think that their opening move would tell him what sort of player they were, but in reality he was nothing like an experienced player and was unsure if such a feat was even possible. There were a finite number of opening moves and surely many times that number of play styles.

‘Nice to meet you, Lexi.’ He grinned over at her, fiddling with the edge of his tote bag as he thought about what her favourite colour might be. It would be strange to ask straight away, so he occupied himself with thinking about what might suit her. Blues were nice, but might make her look a little washed out with that cooler skin tone. Maybe reds? Autumn colours? Something cosy for the awful weather outside.

'What are you reading?' He indicated the books she had left on the table. 'Is it for school, or...?' 

She smiled at him as she put her things down before pulling the books towards her, afraid they would fall on the ground. She looked at Iggy as he started to set the chess board, turning the black pieces towards him. She didn’t care which pieces she got, starting fist or last was irrelevant to her, but it seemed that he wanted her to be the first one to start. Her eyes shifted from the boy to the board in front of them. She knew the moves, the rules and where she needed to get to win, but that didn’t make her a good chess player, if anything, she was a reckless player that charged ahead without no strategy.

Her hand moved to a pawn to make it go forward two squares before looking up at the boy. “It’s nice to meet you too Iggy.” The smile on her face grew a bit, corners curling up, showing how amused she was able to meet a new person in the last place she expected. She wasn’t about to ask him that, whatever he was doing before she had interrupted him seemed … boring, to her at least, he probably enjoyed doing it, or he wouldn’t be, but she continued to wonder why the library of all the places? Why not his dorm?

“It’s for class, I’m a bit behind and decided to at least try to catch up. What brings you to the library though?” she eyes landed on the chess board, they continued to play, even if Lexi was more interested in the whole conversation than in the game, but it was a good ice breaker.

Iggy hummed over the board, his fingers hovering lightly above the pieces without touching them as he thought about his opening move. He’d always thought moving the knights first was a clever thing to do, so he did just that, selecting the knight on his right and moving it left. 

‘Ah.’ He looked a little guilty. ‘I’m actually behind on a few subjects… I should study but.’ He smiled sheepishly and indicated the bag he’d set aside. ‘I got distracted…’

He wasn’t too far behind considering he’d had to go through previous years work in order to qualify for the new Tallygarunga classes. But there was definitely still a lot to be done; essays to write, question books to complete… But on a rainy day his thoughts were all over the place.

‘It’s hard to think on a day like this. Feels… restless.’ Iggy’s eyes were drawn to the rain still pouring down outside and he shifted on his bottom as if to illustrate the point.

‘I came to the library because it’s warm and dry, and I’ve kind of run out of ideas.’ He pulled his back toward them, showing the coloured yarn and needles inside. ‘I keep trying to make a scarf, but I just can’t decide on the pattern. So I came here to try and get some ideas.’

She could understand the feeling of behind on classes, she didn’t know what the reason was behind him being late, but she wasn’t about to poke around in someone else’s business, she had absolutely no interest. She looked at the board, wondering what move to make when she moved another pawn. She had no idea what she was doing but she hopped whatever it was, it would work. She was playing for fun and not winning, maybe the young man in front of her was like that, playing to have fun instead of the competition. She waited for his next move as the conversation continued.

“I like day like these, a bit cold but I like them.” She commented, looking out the window the watch the rain. The sound was the best, especially when someone could just lay in bed, stay still and enjoy the moment, listening to the rain drops hit the window. The smile on her face grew as she paid attention to the sound, that was, until the young man’s voice brought her back to the real world.

“The library is pretty much the quietest place here, you made a good choice.” She whispered, her smile growing bigger realizing that he had been knitting, something she had completely missed when she approached the table with all the books. “Hmm…about orange and yellow? To remind you of a sunny day? Or fire? How warm the fire is on a cold winter’s night.” She suggested, maybe not the best colour scheme, but perhaps that could give the young man an idea about it.