Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri
26 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her/Hers

It had been a bit frustrating for Jo. During her time out from field work, when she was cooped inside tending to paperwork, Jo had found a quiet place where she could do nothing without being bothered, just drinking coffee or whatever thing she fancied that day. One day she decided to hide in the archives and after digging some pretty old files she came across something interesting, something that had caught her attention and ever since then, day after day after day Jo kept going back for more and happened to stumble upon more interesting information, which was why she had decided to talk to a social worker.

She had spent her morning pacing around the house, worried about what she should say, or could say. Perhaps she should ask Ash to go with her, Ash certainly knows what to say, unlike Jo, who has no idea what to do in situations like that, as she even suitable to be a foster parent? Well the social worker thought she was, besides with her background she was a perfect candidate for it. Jo was starting to suspect the social workers didn’t do much and didn’t care much about what happened to the kids, even if she was willing and able to do everything. She was sure she was going to rely on Ash’s help for almost everything and neither of them were good role models.

Back at Tally, Jo missed running around that grass creating havoc with her sister, she still remembers when they had to shot her with a water spell for her to stop moving. She had to mentally tell herself to stop thinking about the past and just move to the building in order to meet the lady and the girl. In the building she walked past a vitrine with the photos of former students and players, and there she was, in the quidditch team, fun moments. Before she could tell herself to stop reminiscing about the past a sharp voice spoke, it was like being in school all over again.

Jo looked at the woman who was staring at her before looking at the clock, Jo wasn’t late, yet, but the woman made her feel like she was. The young Dhampir walked swiftly and got inside the room, with the young girl and the other woman, who kept eying her like she had committed a crime. Jo had in fact committed several, but she didn’t have to know about that. The woman proceeded with the introductions of both parties and looked at Jo and at the other girl and sat on a chair, explaining again why they were all there.

“Doesn’t she have a little sister?” Jo asked, turning her attention to the social worker who proceeded to blabber something incomprehensible that Jo just assumed the girl would either come later or was in class at the time. The dhampir turned her attention towards the youngest dhampir. “Hello. I’m Jo…sephine. Everyone calls me Jo.” Speaking her whole name almost sent shivers down her back.

Bourke ☆ Sixth Year Kirupachi
16 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

There wasn't a word in the dictionary that could make any justice regarding how uneasy Danielle felt with what was happening at that moment. According to a social worker, it seemed that someone had requested directly to handle both her and her little sister. If that in itself wasn't enough to put the Bourke on edge - as they were being chased as far as she knew -, it seemed that this person was also a Dhampir. She could see how the social worker thought it would be a good idea to pair them together, but Danielle felt an all too familiar fear creep up under the surface, gnawing at her being. She had grown resentful of her kind, and past a handful of them that she knew, they all were beholden to violence and irrational instincts. Could this truly be different?

Not only had she brought her usual wand that time around, strapped within its holster, she had also slipped into it her father's wand. There was no rhyme or reason to it - the wand didn't obey her very well, and she certainly couldn't wield two at once, but it gave her a sense of security, as if the man himself was there. It was the one thing she could use to ground herself in that situation, and to keep herself from snapping, it would be what she'd carry regardless of how ridiculous the idea was.

Danielle had requested the meeting alone. She didn't want her far more innocent sister (if one could call it that, given all they went through) to face someone and grow attached to them, just in case they turned out to be some sort of bad actor. She had vowed to protect the little girl, and thus she had to go first. Her eyes were trained on the tall Dhampir that soon joined her in the room wherein she sat.

Muscles tensed up as her gaze analyzed Jo, ears twitching when she spoke though not paying too much attention. Her own immediate, averse reaction was being quite difficult to keep in check - her musculature was going into overdrive with its tension, yelling at her to defend herself and to reach for her wand. Her hands balled into a fist under the desk and her jaw clenched momentarily as she tried to keep a semblance of composure - her minimally rational self knew that the reaction was entirely unwarranted, but at the same time she couldn't help it.

"...Danielle." Despite being wary, she spared the woman the same courtesy. There was no snide remark to go with it - she knew the woman already knew of their names, but there was no point to raising tensions. After a moment and a deep breath, her eyes flickered towards the social worker instead. Was she going to stay there?

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri

It was clear that the girl was nervous, a lot more nervous than Jo was, and she wasn’t sure how to react to that, she should be used to it, most people are nervous when they meet her, for various reasons, however, this girl’s reason was completely different than the ones she is often used to. Jo decided to give the girl some time to get used to the room, to feel comfortable in her environment, but it wasn’t working. She smiled politely at the girl when she introduced herself but watched the social worker when Dani’s eyes were looking at the much older woman. Jo asked the woman to leave. It was probably for the best, that way the conversation could go smoother and Jo could talk about things that didn’t concern the older woman.

Once the social worker left the room, Jo leaned her back on the chair and her hands touched the wooden table, fingers moving, tapping on the wood while making a rhythmic sound, slightly annoying but it showed how nervous she was as well. “I’m not going to hurt you, if that’s what you’re afraid of.” Jo spoke, leaning on the table and staring at Dani. “You might be wondering ‘what does this woman want with me and my sister?’ and I want to be able to give back.” It was best if she started by telling Danielle the reason why she wanted to adopt her and her sister, it seemed fair given the circumstances.

“I was adopted in a wizarding family, weird I know, and they already had a daughter, my sister Ash. I want to do the same for someone.” Jo scratched the back of her head, leaning back again on the chair and crossing one leg over the other, still watching Danielle. “In case you’re wondering I’m an Auror, and I chose you and your sister particularly, because I read your file, and that’s the truth. I was bored hid in the archives and came across your file, got curious and a few months later here I am.” Jo could get away with lying, but in this case it would be better if she simply just stated the truth, there was no point in being careful if things were going to be known sooner or later.

“I live in Melbourne but if you accept, I will be renting my apartment to someone and I will move back to Narrie. You and your sister would be living with me and my sister.” Jo was sure she was talking too much, and probably too fast for the situation, but it was a difficult thing, not for her exactly, but for Dani, who would have to trust a complete stranger. “Sorry, I’m talking to much. Do you have any questions you might ask me? Is there anything you want to know?”

Danielle watched on quietly as the social worker left, gaze trained on the woman until the door was closed, at which point her eyes focused on the other Dhampir in the room instead. It was for the best - if things were to go awry, an innocent life wouldn't be getting in the way. Regardless of that woman's magical acuity, it was likely that she wouldn't make it for long in a room with a wizard of Danielle's caliber and an athlete of Jo's.

Despite the aversion to her own race crawling under her skin, the Bourke made no movement to withdraw from her positioning as Jo sat at the same desk as she and leaned upon the table. The light tapping on the wood, however, made one of her ears involuntarily twitch. Lighter sounds always made her more alert, as she had far too many memories of staying awake and on guard for possible intruders into her family's various shelters.

The way the speech started did nothing to dissuade Danielle's concerns in itself, having heard those same words one too many times; instead, what did was the realization that this matter was being every bit as awkward to Jo as it was being to herself. The woman looked like a fish out of water and she could practically smell the nerves out of thin air. She let Jo continue uninterrupted, gaze unbroken, analyzing every single word and movement in the back of her head as if her life depended on it - which, in actuality, it very well could.

Eyes squinted as she was finally passed the torch to speak. Did she have any questions? Very many, but one thing jumped out at her the most. One thing had her reeling in fear, even if she didn't outwardly show it (although, she was certain Jo would have picked up on it, so sensitive were the senses of their kin). She took a deep breath before speaking.

"If there is a file, there is a way to get to us." Aurors could get to them. The olive branch Jo had offered to Danielle had unintentionally backfired - if the Dhampir could plant someone in the force, she wouldn't even be safe from the people that were supposed to protect her. "Before anything else, I want it gone. Can that be done?" She was technically in no position to negotiate, but she was fairly certain she could do it by force if she so desired - maybe that's what ironically cleared the so called Auror before her, the fact she didn't think to keep from her those files existed.

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri

As long as Jo had the work there was no reply from Dani, but it was clear that the young girl was somehow less stressed about the human that just had walked out of the room. They could both sense what each other were feeling, even if there were a few mixed signals that could indicate one thing and not the other, Jo knew the girl wasn’t going to just take her word for it. In a different situation Jo would have already pinned the girl against the wall, not showing everything, she had, but enough to cause fear on another person, this situation required things that Jo didn’t have, like patience and charisma, and she was trying really hard.

The girl was paranoid, something to be expected of someone who went through what she did, but Jo was going to say anything that can cause her to be even more alert and suspicious of what was happening. “Yes, there is and I doubt it. There are files, but your names aren’t mentioned, they’d need to go through the same trouble I did to get your name, and I work there, but I doubt they’ll be able to read it, I may have spilled coffee all over it” After a few weeks of nagging whoever was in charge and having to probably intimidate a few people to move faster, she got what she wanted, anyone wanting to do such a thing would have to do the same, and face an entire force of Aurors, it would be a suicide mission.

“I can’t exactly destroy it, I shouldn’t have looked at it in the first place, but I can try and make it go to a safer place…” She could destroy the file, just needed to sneak in, take it, leave something fake in its place and just burn it, but she also wouldn’t want to be kicked out the force for doing so. “I can see what I can do, I’m sure if given a valid reason they will accept and move it to a safer location.” She would have to reach out to almost everyone she knew in the force, maybe threaten a couple of people but she was sure it could be done, besides, if Dani and her sister accept to live with Jo and Ash, it could be a potential threat to the force, and Jo was sure they didn’t want that.

“Anything else you’d like to know? I don’t want you leaving here with questions, worries or anything.” Jo stared at the girl once more. It was natural for her to feel suspicious, and Jo wanted to answer to the girl’s questions, if she had any.

Jo's explanation did little to lessen the pervasive paranoia affecting Danielle's judgement - if anything, it made it worse. If there was a will, there was a way, and that Auror had just proved it - even with the safety measures placed upon her own and Faith's cases, the fact of the matter was that she *had* obtained that information. There was a way. And for her little sister's safety, there couldn't be one.

Nevertheless, she could tell Jo wasn't lying - there was no logical reason as to why a Dhampir chasing her would give herself away so easily, or even give Danielle the opportunity to act on such secretive information. While she was aware it could be a bluff to gain the young Bourke's trust, it was tremendously unlikely that such was the case. The ones chasing after her were never the manipulative sort, they were the 'kill first and ask questions later' sort. She was fairly positive that, if by some sort of miracle they were able to track them down, they would enter whatever room the siblings were in and kill them where they stood regardless of witnesses.

"...Would this mean we're to live off campus?" She decided to make a less than hostile question that time, taking a moment to inhale deeply afterwards. They had been assigned to Tallygarunga precisely over its protective measures. Could an Auror hope to match it? "And would we be changing our surname?"

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri

There wasn’t anything more to tell, or at least from Jo’s end, everything now would depend on the younger Dhampir’s questions, which were more than welcomed given that Jo had no idea what to say to the girl anymore. The question seemed to have an obvious answer, if Dani and her sister were to be adopted, they didn’t require to live on campus, they could very well move in with Jo, it would make sense they would in the first place. “Yeah, why wouldn’t you? Unless you want to stay on campus. The house has enough bedrooms for all.” the house wasn’t small, and there were enough bedrooms, but if there weren’t, Jo always wanted to turn the basement in her hideout, but she doubted Ash would ever let her do that.

“I suppose you would, you two are still minors. I don’t think there’s any rules about that if you want to keep your last name after you turn eighteen.” The rules of adoption went over Jo’s head, but it was just a matter of time if Danielle didn’t want the Estrada surname, once she becomes legally an adult.

“But is there any problem? Anything in specific you’re looking for?” Jo wasn’t sure what to think of all those questions, she assumed it was standard procedure, unless Dani declined all of them. Otherwise it was like she was now part of the family, just another Estrada, living with them and doing what a … somewhat normal family does. “If you do decide you two will be living with us, we might need to do some shopping, some room remodelling. It’ll be … fun.” Jo kept thinking about her sweet sweet hideout, but it would have to wait.

She couldn’t think of anything else to tell the girl, except that all expenses would pass onto her so Danielle wouldn’t have to worry too much about them, besides, with her studio apartment being rend in Melbourne she had some extra income.

"Security." Short and sweet. Danielle replied to Jo's inquiry without batting an eye - her sister's safety was her top priority, no matter the cost. To erase the files on her would be to kill a possible path to finding the both of them; to stay in the school would be to be safer from pursuit; to change her name would mean the rival sect wouldn't know who to look for.

Yet, she had to extend an olive branch. For as much as it bothered, for as much as her aversion of Dhampirs was screaming at her to get up and walk out of the room, it was very obvious that Jo was trying her hardest to make things work. Danielle had a hard time understanding the concept of charity when headed her way - Travis had done something similar and it put her on guard over time, only to have it proven again and again that he meant no harm - but she still had to face the facts. Not only that, but Jo already knew too much as it was; to abandon things like that would be to create a severe liability that could bite Danielle back later on.

She didn't quite understand what Jo meant by 'remodeling', but let it go. "...What's next?" The Bourke decided to ask. It was her turn to try to make the situation easier. She was no less tense than she had been a few moments before, but she didn't think it was a matter in which she'd be comfortable with overnight.

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri

“Security would be the top priority of you two, honestly.” Jo couldn’t understand Danielle or what she was thinking, or even her emotions, not only because Jo had an easy childhood, with wizarding parents, and an annoying but good sister who was also her best friend, but because there were easy and simple emotions she didn’t understand, and it wasn’t for not trying, most of them were just the same to her. “I can put some additional measures if that makes you feel better.” Jo never cared too much for security, she knows her house wouldn’t be broken into by local delinquents or anything like that, but in this was a different situation.

Next? What did she mean by that? Jo thought she had been clear about it, but perhaps she should elaborate on what she had meant, unless the girl accepted living with Jo and Ash. “Next? It depends, if you accept all this, I sign the papers and you and your sister are officially Estrada family members.” Jo shrugged as she stared at Danielle, giving her a faint smile. The girl was still tense, Jo could feel it, and it was a feeling that was making her uneasy about the situation, but she couldn’t force the girl to feel more comfortable, it wasn’t easy. “If you want to remain at the dorms I won’t mind. I won’t blame you, the school is far safer.”

Jo was trying for it to work and she wasn’t sure how well she was doing at the moment without Ash to tell her things were alright. “And we’d have to take care of a few things. You can see the house and meet my sister before you give me the final answer, if you want.”

The surname was Spanish. Being fluent in the language itself, as her late mother was Hispanic and so had been her initial surname, Danielle couldn't help feel an inkling of familiarity. It would certainly be a positive change from the general stock option her Chinese brethren had picked for her upon the move - 'Haynes' had been somewhat difficult to remember consistently, even if it got better over time. 'Ramirez' rolled better off the tongue, and subsequently, 'Estrada' would as well.

"That would be useful." She finally replied, not being one of many words. To survey the location herself, look for points of entry, and potentially securing the house once she was of age - and, once again, she'd make herself go first prior to Faith having any idea so to ensure she'd remain unrelated to the potential danger for as long as possible. She was outnumbered in that situation, but whether she was out-skilled or not was a completely different conversation to have.

"When would you have this happen?" Hopefully soon. That sort of wait made her quite anxious, and it wasn't a fantastic feeling to hold down while struggling with a myriad of issues stemming from the war she'd endured for years. She just wanted to get everything done with.

Ministry ☆ AurorTecri

Everything that needed to be said had been, and Jo wasn’t sure what else she could do or say to ease the young Dhampir’s mind. It all depended on what Dani wanted or needed, and since Jo wasn’t a mind reader she wouldn’t know, the young Dhampir would have to tell her. She sat there, quietly listening to Dani’s words.

Jo was sure additional measures weren’t necessary, but she had never been in a situation like the one Dani was into, she had to stop listen to logic for a while and do what made the girl feel safer, this time it wasn’t about her, it was about someone else.

Dani’s quick response caught her off guard. “Well…” Ash was probably home by now, and even if she wasn’t, Ash knew about Jo’s intentions, Ash knew about everything, Jo was sure her sister wouldn’t mind. “I’m free today and up till the end of the week. Do you want to go now? Or tomorrow?” was there any point in waiting longer than that? It was a big change for Dani and her sister, but it was also a big change for the Estrada sisters, but it wasn’t a bad one.

Jo’s intuition was telling her it would be good for everyone, and in the end, they could give two girls a somewhat of a normal life, considering the household they were living in. “Whatever makes you feel comfortable.” Jo spoke, sure her sister would be proud of her at that moment.

There were too many questions in her mind, but Danielle wasn't quite sure of how to verbalize them. It didn't help that Faith wasn't present - it could be that the little girl would have some questioning of her own, yet she had been robbed from the opportunity by the Bourke's request. She'd have to talk to the Whitlam Bilby student at a later point to see how she'd gel with the situation; but, first, Danielle needed to personally ensure it was safe.

Eyes widened minimally with surprise - the younger Dhampir didn't expect for Jo to agree to such a milestone so soon. While she did hope for the wait to be short lived, Danielle still expected for some arrangements to have to be made. "Tonight?" She reiterated skeptically. It reinforced the notion that it wasn't an ambush. One would have a set time and date, rather than having her pick the time randomly and possibly having no means with which to inform someone else inconspicuously.

"...I suppose I could do that. Classes are done for the day, meaning I'm free." It was a fair compromise. It made her nervous, and she could feel her it in her bones, but it was something that had to be done. She'd just have to keep an eye out for trouble and hope her father's disobeying wand could serve as a lucky charm.