Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Invite Misery Loves Company

Flinders ☆ Fifth Year Kirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ He/Him

Target practice.

School breaks were always a bittersweet time in Ian's life. On the one hand he had more time in which he didn't have to study and could actually kick back and relax for a change, and even tend to his relationships properly in case he had inadvertently neglected them because of his studies; on the other hand, most students also took the opportunity to leave the school and go visit their families, leaving people like the Flinders boy quite lonely. It didn't help that those who stayed (or, at least, those whom he befriended) had been picking up jobs or other assorted extra responsibilities that made it difficult to gather.

Target practice had been the answer to the sudden swell in free time, or, at least, the most efficient one he could find. It was a very productive thing for him to do with his time - he was obeying his sister's directives of pushing himself to be at his strongest at all times for the sake of self-protection, and practice certainly made perfect in the Wizarding world. In a way, he was helping someone out. And with that in mind, the Dhampir was more than happy to improve on his own.

Grind the bottles to fine dust, reassemble, grind them to fine dust again. That had been what Ian had been doing for a portion of the afternoon, placing the targets on a variety of locations and hitting them successively wherever it was he stood. It was a risky process, as the spell in question incinerated everything it came in contact with; however, on the flip side, it could make for that much more of a challenge to repair something else struck by it...

Spencer ☆ Fifth Year ☆ StudentTecri
15 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her/Hers

It had been hard, staying home with her grandparents around, even argument after argument and being grounded more than once a day, Lexi always managed to escape the tyranny that she had to face at home. Her grandparents were bullies, and not the kind of bully one can just punch in the face and expect them to learn their lesson, no this type of bully was the one impossible to fight physically and even with arguments was like talking to a wall. She did keep saying they were a waste of oxygen.

She ended up at school, there it was much quieter and more peaceful, it was easier too, there wasn’t need to escape or avoid talking about certain things, here everyone understood her, or some understood her, it was a complicated matter. Lexi found herself at the grounds looking for something to do, maybe she could find someone to spend some time with, it could be fun.

As she walked around the place, some of the items seemed to be out of place, almost like someone was practicing? Who the fuck would be shooting against targets at school? One of the targets closest to her just got completely incinerated, if she had been a few inches to the right she could have been struck by a spell. “Hey! Watch it!” she yelled at the perpetrator, at least until she set her eyes on him.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” she crossed her arms looking at him, still unsure of why the young boy was practicing such a spell in an open area. “Why are you practicing it in an open area like this? You could harm someone.” Her anger started to die down, there was no point in being angry at him, in his defence it was the break, most students were out of campus doing whatever, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that one step closer to the item and she too could have been hit by it.

A familiar scent filled the boy's nostrils as it approached his general area; it didn't bother Ian much, as he knew himself to be minimally accurate, and he trusted the individual not to walk in front of his targets (despite her being quite accident prone, to his knowledge). He remained focused in his activity, the little distraction not working, at least for a moment; the yell brought him out of it, causing him to jump due to his sensitive hearing.

He looked in the younger Stewart's direction as she scolded him, looking quite angry at the boy - had he been so focused that he nearly hit her? She *was* standing near one of the targets he just hit. Looking at his wand, and then at her, the boy blanched more than one would think possible, given his already pale looking skin; the last thing he wanted to do was to harm the Spencer in any way, and the thought made him feel sick. He proceeded to clumsily shove his hornbeam companion into its holster.

"I'm sorry!" Ian apologized quite profusely, looking as if he was about to cry - dark eyes shone with the onset guilt of potentially having caused his friend severe damage, or even death, out of his own carelessness. "I-I didn't mean too -- I'm usually quite accurate, but..."

Agony etched upon the face of the teen with the situation, he couldn't swallow the potential consequences, or the fact that he had upset Lexi. All he wanted was to make things better, to somehow make up for it, but for the life of him he wasn't sure how.

The more time passed the less Lexi felt like being upset at Ian for practicing such dangerous spells out in the open like that, she was lucky she didn’t cross the line of fire, but what if she had? And, what if it had been someone else? The more she thought about it, the more concerned about it she got, but at the same time her anger was slowly drifting. When the young man spoke, she just stared at him with her arms still crossed, she was more interested in making a point than to scold him for being irresponsible.

The more he spoke the more she felt bad about yelling at him. She could feel his own guild and she could hear it in his voice. He was right, Ian was quite accurate, he was good at it too. “Ian…” she found that it was impossible to remain upset with him, not the way he was acting and how sincere it all seemed.

Lexi approached Ian, the expression on his face made her feel bad for yelling at him. The young Spencer wrapped her arms around her friend, offering a comforting hug. “I’m sorry I yelled.” She felt guilty for making him feel the way he was feeling, she wasn’t wrong, he could have hit her and harmed her, but she could have talked to him differently. “Why don’t you practice someplace else?” she let him go before staring at him, offering a smile.

“Practicing out here is dangerous.” She spoke softly, not wanting to make him feel worse about a potential outcome, an outcome that didn’t happen.

Brows furrowed in confusion as the Spencer embraced him, as the boy was still quite rocked by the sheer panic with the implication of what could have happened - he certainly didn't expect Lexi to shift from yelling at him to forgiving him so quickly. His heart was still pumping a mile a minute out of fear of having done something truly horrendous, yet his arms hesitantly returned the hug. It was the correct thing to do, right?

"I-I'ts okay..." The boy uttered despite the confusion on reflex. Once she let go, the boy didn't exactly knew what to do with his arms, ending up bringing a hand to the back of his head and scratching his own scalp in embarrassment and awkwardness. The smile disarmed him - she wasn't upset anymore? That meant everything was okay, surely.

Lexi brought up a good point, and Ian nodded. "I know, but... There's nobody around. I made sure of it. This place gives me a bit more freedom in where to place the targets, so..." It was the break - a lot of students were either out enjoying their free time or had gone home to visit their families. Not a single soul was picked up by his nose in the grounds, other than those of himself and his friend. "I wasn't expecting you to show up here, honestly... Weren't you supposed to be in town?"

As much as Lexi still wanted to shout at Ian for being careless to the point of training outside, she couldn’t, she had seen the look on his face and how concerned he seemed to be, she just couldn’t continue doing it, to scold him like that while the look in his eyes expressed how truly sorry he was. “Don’t do it again.” Lexi was still upset with the situation, and him, just couldn’t continue with the shouting, his expression was breaking her heart in ways she couldn’t think it could break.

“Why not a classroom? Or the Quidditch pitch? It’s large enough for you to go around doing ‘pew pew pew’ with your wand.” She said, moving her hands like they were pistols to exemplify his actions while training. She didn’t understand what Ian could see in such a thing, unless it was purely for fun. When Ian asked her if she wasn’t supposed to be in town, she just shrugged, slightly uncomfortable with the question, but it wasn’t like Ian was a complete stranger to her, he probably understood what it was like to have overly condescending family members that are bullies.

“Grandparents, or Satan&Santan as I like to call them, are in town, I just needed to get away. I may or may not have told them they were a waste of oxygen.” She spoke with a slight innocent look while she stared at Ian, with no remorse about what she had said to her grandparents, they did deserve every word that poured out of her mouth, or so she thought. Her mother had grounded her, but she had someone who had gone to her rescue. “So, you always spend school breaks here, right? Have you tried something less dangerous than to shoot targets?”

"Satan and Satan...?" Ian uttered incredulously - why would Lexi call anyone that? Someone couldn't be that insufferable, right? Even if he didn't know the situation personally, it felt quite rude. But how could he possibly call her out on it without making her feel poorly or have some sort of reactionary response? Perhaps it was for the best for him not to say anything at all and distract the Spencer instead. Surely that would take her mind off less than pleasant things, right?

"U-Um... I suppose I could do something, but this just felt more productive than anything else." He admitted, scratching the back of his head with embarrassment. "Most people I know weren't around, so I felt like practicing was the way to go. Can't let my skills go rusty during these two weeks, you know?" He forced a smile along with the joke, hoping for it to be enough to dispel the awkwardness of that moment.

"But since you're here now, maybe I can help you stay away from those... folks." It didn't feel quite right to refer to people he didn't know as evil biblical entities. "Guess I can stop this for now. Is there anything you want to do? I'll tag along." It was the least he could do after the little mishap.

“Yeah, Satan and Satan.” she smiled at Ian, the smile was slowly fading as she was sure he was going to question her decision to call that to them, she didn’t owe him an explanation, but didn’t want him to think badly of her either. “My grandparents are bullies. They bully me, my sister and I’m pretty sure they bullied my mom at some point.” She confessed the reason why she called such names. She wasn’t sure how he would take it, but not everyone could relate to her situation, she hoped at least Ian could see the reasoning behind it. She didn’t want to go into details, it wasn’t like she had to explain every little thing, what she had said was enough for him to understand why she decided to name them that.

She sat on the table and leaned her arms back to lean on them as she talked to Ian. “I don’t think you’re going to get rusty, but there’s an empty classroom you can use, I’d suggest using a UV light before going inside though.” She spoke, trying not to laugh. The probability of finding two or more students there doing something they shouldn’t was high, but at least it was a quiet place, depending on the crowd. She smiled at him, before leaning forward and tapping him on the shoulder. “You know, I know something you can do during those two weeks.” She said with a playful smile.

Lexi hopped off the table and softly poked Ian’s arm. “I don’t have to go to them today, but I do love some friendly company.” She lips grew further apart as her smile grew. If Ian was alone, she was certain she could at least convince him to try something with her. “I was just walking around and found myself here. If you want some little helper to help you set up targets, I’m in, otherwise I was just going back inside and play some video games.” She had nothing to do, she didn’t plan anything, and the more Ian spoke the more she realized how she was interrupting him and his thing. “But if you want to teach me how to do that, I wouldn’t say no.”

Ian's face scrunched up with discomfort as Lexi referred to her grandparents as 'bullies' - he could tell she was telling him nothing but the truth, even if her choice of words could be quite colorful. It bothered him that authority figures (assuming that was how it was operated within the Stewart clan, of course, as he had heard rumors about their traditionalist ways) could impose their will in such a manner upon their own offspring and even younger generations. One was supposed to nurture them, not smother them with whatever situation Lexi happened to be talking about. He couldn't quite wrap his head around the concept, even if he had grown up with an overbearing brother.

The reference to the empty classroom sent a mild chill down his spine - for as innocent as people generally perceived him to be, he wasn't deaf to the rumblings about various occurrences in there. The way Lexi put it only meant one thing, and Ian felt like he should stay away from the room. The tap on the shoulder relaxed his expression as he was brought back to attention, and he looked at her with curiosity - what could she possibly mean?

Lexi elaborated on them spending time together after a prod to his arm, something that brought a smile to Ian's lips: he was definitely on board with such a thing! However, would target practice be the best use of their time? As far as he was aware, it wasn't like Lexi had to actively practice so to protect herself in the event of being hunted down by rogue Dhampirs.

"Tell you what." Waving his wand after retrieving it, he made it so the targets returned to him. They landed on a neat pile upon the table Lexi had just abandoned. There were several, but they were so thin that the tower turned out to be surprisingly short. "Let's play some games. I'm no good at them, but you can teach me, right?" He said as he holstered his wand once more and picked up the pile of targets off the table. "If you don't mind dealing with a newbie when it comes to that kind of thing, that is."

Ian’s expression said everything, she could almost feel what he was feeling when she mentioned that classroom and as much as she didn’t entirely condemn the actions, they could at least clean it, it wasn’t too hard waving the wand, they were in school grounds, they wouldn’t be caught. Lexi however enjoyed the comfort of her dorm, even if she had to scare away those who get stuck with her, a task she will willingly do, with the help of some friends. She smiled at him once he looked at her, it only meant one thing, he was curious.

Her smile only grew as Ian’s did, and grew even more when he agreed to play some games with her. Not everyone was willing to spend time with her to play video games, mostly because she would either hog the whole thing or would be mean to the person playing. She took a deep breath, she didn’t want to be mean to Ian and she didn’t want to hog the whole thing, it meant she had to behave like a normal human being. “I’ll teach you don’t worry.” Her arm wrapped around his in a friendly manner. “I don’t mind dealing with you as a newbie.” Probably the best compliment she could give, given the circumstances.

“I have video games and board games, I’ll teach you both.” And if Ian enjoyed playing games, maybe he could join her more often, not that he needed the company, he was a bundle of cheerfulness and he was too kind for his own good, but that didn’t mean she didn’t appreciate all of it. “Come on.” She started to walk towards the dormitories, she was sure there wouldn’t be a problem taking Ian.

Managing to get to her dorm room she opened the door only to reveal an unsuspecting clean and tidy room, everything was organized to perfection. There was the exception of the small console on the ground and a relatively small television that seemed to be too old for that time but worked better around magic than some of the newer ones. “Make yourself comfortable.” She spoke closing the door behind Ian and taking off her footwear, placing it in a corner away from the door. “Do you want snacks?” while her room was tidy and clean enough, it had enough snacks for one person to survive inside for at least a month.

"Thank you." The Dhampir didn't seem to mind as Lexi momentarily pulled on his arm, a mirrored smile growing across his lips at the acceptance of his glaring lack of experience in video games. While it wasn't something he'd be drawn to on his own, he most certainly didn't mind engaging in the activity with a friend; and, if it pleased them in some manner, to train enough that he'd get good at it. It was the least he could do for Lexi, after all.

With the targets snugly held under his arm, Ian followed his Spencer friend throughout the grounds of the school, towards the underground hallways. The location had always felt a bit claustrophobic to him but he was able to ignore the feeling for the sake of continuing on his trip, eventually reaching the Spencer Common Room; and, not too long after, the female dorms. He felt somewhat self aware at that moment, not used to visiting any such thing, and it made him nervous - the last thing she needed was for certain people to start worrying him over hypothetical erroneous rumors about him circulating and reaching their ears.

With a nod of gratitude, he set the targets down against the closed door of the girl's wardrobe. Taking in the sights of the room, he was quick to notice that nobody else but her inhabited it - there was no other scent in the room that didn't belong to Lexi. Even then it was quite faint, perhaps because she had been forced to stay within her grandparents' clutches like it was implied earlier.

"I'm fine, thanks." He smiled politely at her, his eyes momentarily following her discarded footwear - was he meant to do the same? What was the etiquette a young man was supposed to have in a girl's room? The predicament made Ian stand there awkwardly as his brain scrambled for answers, not wanting to voice his concerns to Lexi.

Ian seemed to be somewhat tense? Perhaps he was just nervous to be in the girl’s side of the dorms, and he surely wouldn’t want to get caught by an authority figure, that was certain, but it was still early, and Lexi was sure neither of them would get in trouble, she also doubted anyone would be too worried about what they were doing.

She approached Ian and pulled his arm a bit roughly, unwillingly. “Hey, you seem a bit off, what’s wrong?” she stared at Ian a bit worried about her friend. Maybe he was just nervous to be there, and she was making a fuss over something irrelevant, but she wanted to be sure he was alright. “I promise I won’t hurt you and I’ll be gentle while teaching you.” She spoke nudging his arm playfully. When it came to most actions she did, they were mostly robotic, Ian could choose to remove his shoes or not, it would be up to him, as long as his feet didn’t smell, Lexi didn’t want to faint.

“Do you want to start with something easy?” it was a stupid question, but she still had to ask what he wanted. She had multiplayer and solo player, it was just about what he wanted. “I have a fun platform game you might enjoy.” Lexi walked towards the console on the ground and sat, she crossed her legs and pat the floor next to her. “Come on. I don’t bite.” She continued to joke as she turned it on. It was a small, with a retro design console, bought not too long ago after the re-release of retro consoles with games.

Ian shook his head at Lexi's initial inquiry. He didn't want to worry her - it was just his awkwardness getting in the way, and as such, it was his job to get rid of it and adapt. A forced smile lit up his features as means of trying to reassure her. Fortunately, she didn't push on that matter and went straight to the activity they were meant to be doing.

"A platform game?" He ultimately decided to remove his shoes, one by one, quietly pushing them to a corner. He had just been outside after all, and the last thing he wanted to do was to spread the dirt accumulated under the soles along the Spencer's bedroom. Sitting on the floor beside his friend, the Flinders boy crossed his legs as well, letting his own hands rest upon his own ankles.

"Those controllers look really small." He commented once his eyes landed upon them, not yet reaching for one - they looked so flimsy the Dhampir was afraid of breaking them just by picking them up, and the last thing he needed was to destroy someone's (probably expensive) property.

Ian didn’t seem to know much about games, it was best if they started off with something simple for him to start. Not knowing what a platform game was probably not something important, all he needed was to have good coordination and good reflexes, the later was overrated for these situations. “It’s a game genre it’s usually not too hard at the beginning…here, let me show you.” Lexi turned on the console and gave Ian a controller. It was easier to show him as he played than to play and have him watch her. Hopefully he will get the hang of it fairly quickly. “The controls aren’t gong to bite you Ian.”

Lexi nudged his arm. She wasn’t sure what she was expecting from the young man, he seemed very uncomfortable with the remote, perhaps he was afraid to break it? Maybe that’s why he mentioned them being small, and not because he was afraid of the buttons. “Ohh….” She looked at him before giggling. She turned to Ian and but her hand on his. “I get it now. Look, you can hold people’s hands without hurting them, can’t you? Think of this as the same thing.” She tried to explain the best way she could for him to understand, controllers weren’t as fragile as human skin that could bruise easily.

“And if you break it, we can fix it with magic.”

Ian looked down at his hands as a controller was placed in them. He was somewhat afraid of gripping it properly, figuring the small object would snap at the lightest of pressures - he was a Dhampir, after all. While he did know how to measure his strength, accidents happened. It didn't help that the point of video games were to distract the person, meaning he wouldn't be paying so much attention to his hands as he would the screen.

The arm nudge stole his attention from the controller as he looked up at Lexi. She seemed to find his predicament humorous, which he found quite confusing. "That's... A way of putting it, but..." It wasn't the same. Holding a hand was holding something delicate in texture, while a controller was solid and plastic; not to mention he'd be more conscientious of hurting someone than breaking an object.

What she said next, however, confused him even more. "Wait... You can?" He was under the idea it was an electrical material - how could she do that without messing the wiring up? Magic and electrical components weren't something that mixed well together, even with the added support of what he assumed was some sort of magic-proofing charm coating the material. "How do you do that?"

It seemed that telling the boy not to worry too much wasn’t working, it seemed that he was even more confused about her words. While electric devices didn’t work well with magic that had been something that Lexi had learned to do, it would require a lot of practice and if she could do it, someone else in town could. It was only a matter of visiting the store to get it fixed. The controller wasn’t something she was particularly worried about, she was more worried about them, as long as they were having fun and didn’t got hurt, everything else was irrelevant.

“I had some practice with it, and if I can’t fix it myself, I know someone who can.” She smiled at him, trying to ease the pressure on the boy, and the fear of breaking something like the controller. “I have a lot of these things, you think you’re the first one to break a controller?” she chuckled, but it soon turned into an unsuspecting gentle smile towards the young man.

“There’s a store in town that coats electric items, an while it doesn’t make it completely safe to fix it with magic, with enough time, and patience you can do it, without having it blowing on your face.” Lexi had broken many things, she had also tried to fix many things. Some worked, others didn’t, but as long as someone had coated the item first, she was sure she could fix it. “I can take you there, if you ever want anything from it.”

"Really?" Ian was taken aback with surprise as Lexi mentioned something that should be a complete no brainer to the boy - such a service was provided already in Narragyambie, if he were to look for it. It was a stark reminder that, for all the years he'd spent living in Tallygarunga at that point, he knew very little about the small town. Only in the beginning of 2019 had he been allowed to go out on his own, even if he didn't initially have much interest in doing so; only after his sister came back did he start going out more, but he still stuck to specific parts of town.

"My bad." He let out a small chuckle, letting a goofy grin fit his lips once it died down. "I've been here for forever and a day, I should know these things. I suppose I should use this break for a little tourism, eh?" It wasn't a bad idea. While he couldn't go out in broad daylight, the curfew regulations were very loose when it came to breaks. Plus, given that it was Winter, the nighttime set in much earlier than usual, giving him ample time to pursue his endeavors without the risk of becoming living bacon.

"After this, though. I suppose I have some... Jumps, to do first? That's what a platformer is, right?" He held onto the small controller with care despite the reassurance nevertheless - it was still a prized possession of a friend of his. "Go easy on me."

“Yeah, you should visit the town, it has great things.” It was none of her business why he hadn’t visit, the town, she knows Ian for a while, but she had never seen him in town, always in the school grounds. Did the young man spend most of his time in the school and never got out to explore? If that was the case it was something that needed to be fixed.

“How about next break I’ll show you around? I know you won’t get lost but I’m pretty sure I know the town really well.” She wasn’t even sure of Ian would accept, but that way she could take him to the bakery, they could get something sweet to eat, and perhaps continue their tour. She could always show him the shop where she got all those magic proof electronics’ maybe he’ll find some use for it. The smile on her face grew a bit, unsure if he would accept but it was worth a shot.  

His words reminded her that they should get to the game. She nodded, answering him as her smile tried to reassure Ian.