Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Bryan Hawthorne

A Cold One

Narragyambie ☆ Doctor/HealerScotteh
45 year old Halfblood Human

Today had been one of the days that Bryan was working at Narragyambie General Hospital, and it had been a relatively slow day. Not like when spent time at St. Ringo's where there was always something to do. Still, he enjoyed the small town hospital and lending a hand. Most of the staff at St. Ringo's didn't understand why he was lending his time to a muggle hospital, but he enjoyed it. He loved helping people, which was why he had gotten a medical degree at a muggle college as well. The time he'd spent at the Royal Melbourne Hospital had been nice, but nothing compared to Narragyambie, really. Bryan supposed it was the people there. They were a lot more friendly. 

Today, after his work shift had finished, Bryan had decided to visit one of his favorite spots in town, The Drunken Roo. It was one of the few spots he could spend hours at, and felt welcome. 

Bryan made his way into the Roo, and took a seat at the bar. He nodded at Mish, who had come over to take his order. 

"Lemon-lime and vodka, today, Mish."

"Mixing it up a little. Finally."

"Just not in the mood for beer tonight, I suppose." he said, chuckling. He watched as she made the drink, and slid it over to him.

"Enjoy." She said, and continued cleaning glasses.

He took a small sip of the drink, and smacked his lips together. It felt nice going down. He didn't even notice someone joining him at the bar.

Repository ☆ HerbologistKay
33 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ her/she

Lux gave a small laugh.  She was a little amazed at how jumpy she had been since her daughter had gne to Tally.  It was quiet in her home and the more she found herself alone, the more she disliked the empty feeling the house had.  She couldn’t wait for the first holiday.  It took a lot for her not to march into the school.  Luckily her friend worked there and she was able to keep an eye on her without her daughter knowing,  It was a good feeling at least.  It had been hard enough moving countries, to add a new school on top of that.  She shook her head. 

Looking at the time she decided that rather than make dinner she would head to the Roo.  She figured a drink and some barfood was not the worst thing.  She moved to sit beside a man who had ordered a drink and she smiled.  ”Cherry Vodka and soda please… and can I see a menu?”  She asked as she looked at the man beside her.  ”Oh Dr. Hawthorne!”  She said with a smiled. 

”Lux… Hightower.  I don’t know if you remember me, we met briefly at a seminar at the hospital…”  She said with a smile

Bryan looked up when he heard his name, and spotted a very beautiful female sitting beside him. He knew her from somewhere, and he couldn't really put hi finger on it. Something to do with plants. Why would he think she had something to do with plants? He was trying to put together where he recognized her from when she told him. Once she said this, he returned her smile.

"Sorry, I'm not so good with names at times, but I don't forget a face. I do remember meeting you. You're the herbologist, correct?" He asked, sincerely hoping that he was right. If not, well, he would feel like a bit of an idiot. It happens though. He took a drink of his drink, hoping that his memory was a good as he thought it to be.

Lux smiled.  He did seem to remember her.  That was something that at least made her feel a bit less crazy.  Lux always felt as though she was the weirdest one in the room.  Maybe it was because most of her conversation came from her plants, or those who also felt the same about plants she did.  It was sort of a calling, you either had it, or you didn’t.  Her daughter had also talked to the plants but she felt this was more to humor Lux than it was actually talking to someone.  ”yes, I  have been working with a few healers… developing new things, well and a potions master… it’s been quite a collaborative.  A think tank so to speak.’  She was smiled at him.  It was kind of like that in many ways.   

”It is nice to run into you outside of the hospital.  I don’t really see many people outside of them these days, then again its because I spent most of my time in them…”  She said as she looked at the drink set in front of her.  ”Avoiding being home alone tonight… what about you?” 

Bryan nodded his head. "A think tank, eh?" He asked. "I used to do stuff like that back in my younger years, but now I just stick to the stuff I know I'm good at. I keep up with the newer stuff, but sometimes the old ways can work wonders." Bryan loved helping people though, and whatever he could do that would better himself and his work, he would. However, sometimes, new ways didn't necessarily mean better ways. He was curious though, so he asked, "What kind of things are you working on right now?"

Bryan chuckled a bit when she made the comment about never really leaving the hospitals. "I can honestly say I know the feeling. Outside of here, I'm usually at the hospital here, at St. Ringos, or home resting. I try to stop in a few times a week here though. I love the atmosphere." 

Bryan took a sip of his drink, and when she said she was avoiding being home, and asked about him, he pondered a moment. "Well, I wouldn't say it's to avoid being home alone tonight, but then I'd just be trying to fool myself. Plus, Mish makes better drinks than I ever could get at home."

”Oh there is a lot of good in the old, we aren’t really trying to reinvent those things.  If it works it works.”  She said with a smile.  ”We are really looking at those things that don’t work… things that seem to afflict the magical and the muggle alike.  Cancer dementia… autoimmune things.  Potions that treat that the symptoms are great but at the end of the day you still have those medical issues.”  The purpose of medical sciences was to keep improving, and they had the ability to integrate the non magical with the magical… it was a good thing.  It was actually pretty interesting.  She enjoyed the work she had been doing honestly.  It was a good way.  

”I’ve come a few times, and I would have to agree… and that is without even knowing how you make your drinks.”  she said with a small smile.  ”It is also a great place to be talked out of pulling my daughter out of school…”  She said with a bashful glance at him.  She had been looking for any excuse to pick her up… it was the longest she had gone without seeing her daughter 

"The problem that you run into there is that those things are great for people like you and me. However, for those not like us, the non-magical community, you can run into many issues with potions and their bodies. Sometimes they don't react well to them." He had seen it once or twice. Potions being too much for a muggle. "However, I know of a potions master that has been working on similar things. He's wrote a few books, and is local. Anderson. Er, I think his first name may be Keith." He'd seen the man around a few different medical conventions. Bryan had treated him in the past as well.

Bryan nodded at the woman. "Well, they are certainly right, if I may speak freely about it. Education is very important, and outside of a home setting as well. It gives them the opportunity as well to have communication and interaction with people their own age."

Lux nodded.  ”Oh absolutely, people react to all kinds of things honestly.”  It was a little bit of mess.  She shook her head.  ”Oh yes, I have not met him but I have read all of his books.  He is a brilliant man.”   She said with a smile.  ’I have seen him but I haven’t talked to him.  I am not sure what I would say  have admired his work for so long.”  She said with a smile and a shrug.  ”I have attended a few myself.  “That was how I ended up with a job here.”  She said wit a smile.  She was rather excited about it all.  That was an understatement.  She smiled. 

”Oh I know but it’s just us and I miss having her around.  She is my life.”  She nearly gushed. 

"Honestly, I believe he may be speaking at the university on a few subjects. You should hit him up. From what I understand, he has been working on something for cancer. I think he's close to a breakthrough." Bryan did admire that. He'd spent many years in both muggle and wizarding hospitals, and cancer was an ugly thing. Especially in the muggle world. "So, what is your official job then?" He asked her, whenever she said that was how she had ended up with her job here.

Bryan nodded at the woman. "I mean, I can't really relate. Never been married. Never had children. However, I do know that you have to let them go, and learn to be their own person. The interaction with other kids her age will help her developmental skills." He took a sip of his drink. "Plus, it'll allow you time to yourself. Free time. You can do whatever your heart desires. It's not like she will be gone forever."

”Oh is he?”  she said with a smile. That wouldn’t be a terrible idea.  ”I may have to do that.  I think we could easily have a few notes to compare”  She said with a smile.  It was a good thing honestly.  The more they could colloberate and come up with various things the more they would fix.  Taking a sip of her drink she smiled.  ”Oh I am the on call Herbology Consultant.”  It was a good thing.  ”I also have a research grant as part of my contract.  Its nice to have the backing of a bigger hospital and agency.”  It had made all the difference in her research.  She smiled at the man.  

”Well Marriage is not something you are missing out on.”  Hers had been an absolute disaster.  She let out a small laugh and she shrugged.  ”Oh I know this, rationally… but it is much harder to do it in practice.”  her daughter had always been the light of her life.  When she thought about what love was like- it was like that.  ”I still find I have no idea what to do with time, even with the aability to do whatever I want to do.”  she shrugged.    

"I'd say you probably could compare notes. You could probably find him at the university sometime. Something to think about. He loves the whole potions thing, especially with healing and all that good stuff." Bryan said, taking another sip of his drink. She told him about her official job, and the grants. "Well, research keeps us going. It's what helps us healers keep updated. Especially with things that we may or may not have seen before. So, thank you." He said, smiling. 

Bryan nodded. "I'd imagine I'm not missing anything. 100% of all divorces start with marriage, you know." He chuckled, and took another drink. "Plus, I stay to busy for any sort of real relationship." Whenever she told him more about her daughter being gone, and not having anything to do, he frowned. "Well, you ought to find a hobby. It can help. Anything. There is a healer at work that took up pottery after her divorce. She makes some amazing stuff. My hobby is coming to the Drunken Roo."

She would hope a potions master loved potions.  Otherwise it would seem a bit of an odd job for someone to just do.  ”I take it you two are friends?”  she asked as he seemed rather well versed on the topic of Mr. Anderson, either that or he was a very casual fanboy of the man.  The thought made lux smile internally before she turned to look at him at his thank you.  ”Oh of course”  She shook her head.  She didn’t really see it as something she needed to be thanked for, she was paid well for her knowledge… though if she was not being paid well, she still would have done it.  She liked the quiet that she had in the greenhouse.  So long as no one messed with the mandrakes.  That was not really a problem since they had moved.  

”I had heard that statistic yes.”  She shook her head.  It was a rather facetious way to see things like marriage.  Though, she supposed she also felt that way this time.  She had not been looking to jump back into anything for a while.  ”Too busy, that sounds like a familiar excuse.”  She said with a laugh.  She was also using that one.  ”Maybe I will spend time looking for something like that…”  She said with a shrug.  ”Spend more time in the greenhouse… grow flowers for the sake of flowers.”  That sounded rather fun. 

"Friends? Oh, no. He was a patient of mine at one point, yeah. We've just discussed things at conventions, and I think that he's fairly brilliant with potions." Bryan said, and took another sip. "Definitely knows his stuff, that's for certain."

Bryan chuckled. "Well, it's not necessarily an excuse. I do work quite often, and when I don't I come here. So, I guess it's busy in my mind. I mean, if I'm being honest, I don't go home alone every night, but I just don't have the time for a real relationship. Never have, probably never will. No sense in trying now at forty-five." He said, laughing. And, it was true. at 45, there was really no point in settling down at this point. Plus, he enjoyed his bachelor life for the most part. Sure, some nights got lonely, but that was his sacrifice.

"You could always teach a greenhouse class. You know, teach people how to care for the plants, and love them, and see their true beauty. I can see that you know a thing or two about beauty." He said with a small wink.

Lux nodded.  ”Oh, okay gotcha.”  She said as he explained his relationship with the writer.  ”His books are quite good, I will agree, I tend to read as many books on potions and healing since herbology is so closely related to those fields.”  She had never really thought about conferring with someone who she had read so much from. 

”So you are not the romantic sort I see,”  She laughed a little at this.  ”I think relationships happen even now… but if you are happy then who cares about such things?”  She said.  It was something she had not really come to terms with until she had gotten divorced.  ”I don’t think I was able to admit you don’t need the relationship to define you until I was divorced.’  She had not really done the whole eat pray love thing, and she still had bad days but it was better since she had moved. 

She let out a soft laugh as he winked.  ”Do you think so?”  She said with a smile.  ”Thank you that is very kind.” 

"I have an entire library at home on muggle and magical medicine, along with several potions books. Things I've collected over the years. I try to keep up with my reading as much as I can." Bryan said. He enjoyed the time he could read when possible. Between work at both hospitals and the time he spent at the bar, he was lacking in his reading though. He had to have his break from work related things though, and this was it.

"I wouldn't say I'm not the romantic type. It's more along the lines of that settling down just seems pointless at this age. If I met the right person, maybe it would be different. I think it's more of my career and my age really getting in the way of getting into anything too serious. Plus, sometimes it's nice just being a bachelor." He took a drink. "Nights get lonely sometimes, sure, but I meet all kinds of people here. Sometimes the nights don't get lonely from those meetings." At the same time though, he felt he wouldn't mind to have someone to wake up to in the morning that wasn't in a rush to put their clothes back on and go home.

Bryan nodded, smiling. "I most definitely think so."

”I may have a few books that you would like…”  She thought for a moment.  ”On herbs, more in-depth than the potions books, about the various properties.”  She said.  ”I wrote one of them, it is not incredibly popular here but the muggle community actually likes it quite a bit.”  she said with a smile.  It was actually sort of cool to see how popular it was in the muggle community.  ”I focused on the medicinal herbs and how to use them… especially some of the more dangerous ones like belladonna.”  She had always thought it was a particularly beautiful flower… So many pretty things were dangerous.  ”You should come by my greenhouse sometime I can show you some things you may not have considered to use before.” 

”Pointless?”  She looked at him for a moment.  ”Are you worried about someone not being able to handle the fact you are about your career?”  She wondered for a moment about those who loved their jobs.  ”It is about finding the woman who is independent enough on their own to handle that you will not always be home at five o’clock… perhaps you just need a woman who will be just as focused on her career.  She said with a smile.  ”Someone who will support you… Its not a bad idea you know.  And I know what you mean… sometime it is nice to wake up beside someone.  I do miss that.”  She nodded.  ”And thank you are not so bad yourself.”  she said tucking her hair behind her ear. 

"Your greenhouse, eh? Yeah, I would not mind that at all. I'm always interested in new things. Seeing new things. Don't know if I've ever been able to actually go through a greenhouse with an expert since, well, school really." Bryan said with a smile. "Of course, I'd have to find time within work days. Career is my life." 

Bryan then listened how she said that it wasn't necessarily pointless. That there were people out there that would be understanding. However, Bryan had pretty much given up on that. Any relationship he'd really been in and tried, they pretty much had left because he was never around much. It was as if his entire life had to revolve around his job. The one woman in his life that had never let him down, his career. "Women like that are hard to find." Bryan said, and frowned. "However, I just fill the voids with friends that have certain benefits." He chuckled, and then ordered a beer. 

"I think if they'd let me, I'd stay here all night and just drink the night away."

”Of course.”  she said when he mentioned that he had to work time out with work.  Lux understood that particular phrase rather well, she had used a few times herself not to mention she had also heard her former husband say it as well.  ”I never mind showing people around the greenhouse.”  She said with a smile.  It drove her daughter crazy most of the time, she had so many times before had to go around and see the plants, she had to listen to her mother talk excitedly about something.  Usually something she didn’t care too much about.  She smiled at the thought.   

”I suppose, I myself have not tried to find a woman like that… “  She said with a small smile. The truth was she had never tried to find a woman at all.  Lux had not tried to find anyone honestly.  She had met and fallen for her husband and that had been more of an accident than it had been anything.  ”Benefits?”  she questioned and then it dawned on her.  ”Ohhh.”  She shook her head.  ”Nevermind.”  She had not needed the explanation.  ”would you?  All night?  That seem exhausting.” 

"Excellent then." Bryan said, shifting in his seat a bit. "I'm excited to see it. It's been a while since I've been to a proper greenhouse with someone who knows a thing or two about what is actually in there." Bryan could always use a few new things too for his emergency bag. So, there was a potential there that he could help her out a bit with some business if he saw anything he may need.

Bryan chuckled when she said she had not tried to find a women like that. However, whenever it took her a moment to catch what he had meant with his comment, he snorted with laughter. "Yeah, benefits. Exactly." He said in response. The nights got lonely, and sometimes he just needed someone in his bed. What happened there when he did were the benefits for sure. 

"Yes, all night. Nothing else to do all night, so why not?" He asked, and the beer he had ordered was now in front of him. He took a long gulp before setting it down, smacking his lips together.

It was not odd that someone was interested in her greenhouse, it was her career after all.  She let out a soft hum and nodded.  ”Just let me know when you have some free time, I usually work from the greenhouse unless I have something scheduled… which is not often really its mostly lab work and lab testing at this point- so either way!”  She said with a shrug.  It was of little consequence to her.  She was usually pretty open.  Especially after her daughter had gone to school.  She supposed it was not terrible but she did miss having things to do that were of a more normal schedule.  She codul easily get wrapped up in something and not sleep.   

”I suppose that makes sense… if you like that sort of thing… I suppose I would be happy at home alone as I would be here… but then I have always been alright in solitude.”  She said with a smile. 

Sign in to follow this