Cbox
No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke

Bourke ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Apprentice BakerKirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

"This is your kind of thing, right? The disciple becomes the master."

The trio had agreed upon scheduling their little adventure up the Narrie Lakes' wall for a lazy Sunday afternoon, the one day of the week a certain bakery closed and allowed for a day off. It was hot enough that they weren't shivering with the cold of Winter, though they still had to wear a nice coat to warm up properly. The pair waited near the main event of "Just Do It June" for Samantha's friend, Max, whom had been the one requesting company for the climb in the first place.

"Can't say I dislike the sound of that." Samantha giggled at her baking mentor. Eyes scanned up the wall as she analyzed it - it was likely something she could climb with no support, and even if she were to trip, her non-human physiology would make it easier to catch herself prior to hitting the ground. Even if she did, she'd likely be able to withstand a much greater height than a run of the mill human - she just hoped that there were no Muggles around to witness such a thing if it were to happen.

"Is your friend going to take too long?" Natasha idly asked as her gaze perused the surrounding activities. They were truly all about getting active - it was fortunate that she had gotten into shape (somewhat) over the course of the past year through Judo, but that didn't change the fact she wasn't agile like a monkey. It was likely that the task would not be too easy, something that served as a bit of a downer; on the flip side, the company would likely keep her mind occupied enough for her not to notice the difficulty.

"No, she should show up any minute now. I'll show you how to secure yourself to the wall in a bit." Samantha had picked up on how unsure the older woman seemed about the activity and gave her a wide smile. Natasha wrinkled her nose and stared up the obstacle as well.

'Why did I agree to this...?'

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentTecri
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

Max had almost forgotten that she had agreed to climb the wall with Samantha and her friend, who Max didn’t know, but that never stopped the Spencer girl from doing things she liked, if the other girl was Sam’s friend then Max was sure the girl was a nice person and that she was going to enjoy the company for that Sunday afternoon.

It didn’t take long for Max to reach the lakes, despite the weather she had to put a ridiculous amount of sunscreen on her. Just because it was cold didn’t mean she was safe from the sun and from becoming a walking boiled lobster person. The redhead looked around trying to find Samantha and the Bourke’s friend, but all she saw was people complaining about the wall. Suddenly from the corner of her eye Max spotted her Bourke friend with, who seemed to be their company for the day.

She approached the duo with a smile, always waving her hand at them. “Sam!” once Max was near the two girls she smiled brightly, as she usually did. “Sorry I’m late.” She wasn’t sure if she was late or not, but she had almost forgotten about the event and that she and Sam and Sam’s friend were supposed to do. She turned to Sam’s friend and waved lightly. “I’m Max. Nice to meet you.” she introduced herself to the new person. 

"You're not, don't worry about it." Samantha flashed a grin to her school friend, giving her a nod of acknowledgement as she approached the pair. The oldest of the three waved back at the redhead, sharing a smile of her own in greeting.

"Hi, nice to meet you too. I'm Natasha." She trusted Samantha enough to pick her friends wisely, and a warm introduction was made as a result. The temporary distraction from the frightening structure just beside the trio was very much welcome, as far as she was concerned. While Natasha wasn't necessarily a coward, she didn't particularly enjoy doing things too far out of her cup of tea for the sake of doing them; but, she realized she needed to force herself to break out of her own shell one way or another. That day was just the beginning.

"How about we go right into the main event?" Samantha joked. "I'll grab you both some snacks afterwards, deal?" The Bourke led Natasha to the wall so to place the safety harness around her waist, and to secure her to the ropes proper. As she did, she glanced over her own shoulder to chat with Max. "I take it you'll go equipment-free?"

"Wait, what?"

It was nice meeting new people, and Natasha was part of those people it was nice to meet. For what Max knew Samantha had never let her down and she was sure that her school friend didn’t have a bad judgement when it came to people. Once all the introductions were made, Max took a couple of minutes to watch the structure, it was quite a big one, and the worst that could happen was Max falling, but thanks to the safety precautions, if she does fall, she probably wouldn’t get hurt too badly, or at least she hopped she didn’t.

“Snacks after do sound nice.” Max commented already thinking about the food and less and less about the event, but when Sam spoke Max looked at her and nod. “Yeah, I plan on, the worst that can happen is fall but they have enough precautions.” Max spoke looking up the wall once more before touching it, trying to feel it before making her final decision about how she would go up that thing.

“Equipment-free it is.” Max spoke with a certain confidence that she could reach the top. The wall was big, but she had heard it was gigantic, which turned out to be just and exaggeration from a few people. “Shall we race to the top of go slowly?” she asked. If Natasha needed the equipment, Max assumed she was inexperienced in climbing.

"I got you." Samantha spoke with a friendly wink. If Max were to fall, the Bourke was fairly convinced she could catch the redhead safely - having a half-Veela physiology greatly increased some of her senses, awareness, durability and reaction time, so if she were to climb alongside the Spencer, it would be likely that Samantha would be able to notice a misstep if it were to happen and react accordingly before Max could lose her grip and come crashing down onto the grass.

"What do you mean, equipment-free?" Natasha reiterated her earlier question, looking back and forth between the younger teenagers in bewilderment. Did they have some sort of death wish? She could only grow further perplexed as Samantha nodded and grinned as if it was just another Sunday.

"We're used to it. A bit of a hobby if you will, at least for me." It was unfortunate that with her job at the bakery, Samantha had very little time to dedicate to outdoor activities; but when she could, she always gave it her all, and invited her friends often to boot. Max was one of such friends.

Natasha looked up at the wall once again once her gear was secure, approaching it. Hands gripped the heavy duty climbing rock holds jutting out of the wall as she waited for the others to decide what they'd do, though she was sincerely hoping that they wouldn't race - something the half-Veela apparently picked up on.

"Maybe not for a first go. Let's get a proper feel for the wall first, alright? Plus, I don't wanna leave Natasha behind." The Bourke offered while approaching the structure herself, aimed at being in between the other two - that way she could help Natasha as necessary, and she could catch Max if needed. "Maybe we can race after to see who pays for the snacks."

Max looked at Natasha who seemed to be confused by what they meant, it seemed pretty obvious that equipment-free meant no equipment to hold them. Perhaps Natasha was just confused to why they would decide to climb such big wall with no help; it was logical, and maybe Max was just jumping into conclusions without all the facts. She shrugged as she looked at Natasha before looking at Sam who by now was already explaining the older girl that they were used to it. “It’s kind of a hobby too, I’m not so used to the wild as I am with buildings, but they are practically the same.” While Max only did rock climbing occasionally, either to get somewhere or as an exercise, she was used to climbing in and out of windows, buildings, the city was more her place, but the basics were the same.

She nodded at the other girl, they needed to know if they could even reach the top with no help from the equipment, or if one had to request it. Max put her hand on the wall and looked up, it was huge, but it wasn’t impossible and seemed easy enough to reach to the top.

“Race for the snacks seems great, whoever loses pays for them.” Max spoke slightly more excited than she should. “Shall we then?” she asked making sure everyone was ready to start climbing at the same time, if they were able to keep the same pace, they could all reach the top before their race towards the snack area. Max began climbing the wall, slowly at first, always making sure she was putting her feet and hands on the right places and always making sure they were all side by side.

Samantha nodded at her redheaded friend, though she didn't start climbing immediately - she waited for the fellow baker to make the first move instead, aiming to lag just a bit behind in order to catch her if needed (not that the ropes would let her come crashing down onto the ground, of course). Natasha steadily started to climb the structure - while she didn't exactly like stepping out of her comfort zone in such a way, she had never been very afraid of heights at all even if that in itself was contrarian to her apparent affinity to Earth.

"I hope they do a repeat of this next year." The Bourke commented as the trio slowly made their ascent, rock by rock. "They could take it a step further, I think. Organize some sort of marathon along the town, how does that sound like? Give out some sort of prize to the winner. It would make people get out of the couch and train at least."

"That sounds like it's more my speed." The former Flinders chimed in as she slowly yet surely climbed the massive wall before them. She was yet to make any serious mistake, and she was hoping things stayed that way.

Once the other two started to climb, Max continued, always making sure they were all side by side, that way if one lost balance and was about to fall there was always the opportunity to lend a hand to try to prevent that someone from falling. Sam and Max couldn’t help much if Natasha lost her balance, she did have the ropes, so it was easier not to hit the ground. As for Max and Sam they were going in with no support. Rock climbing was a lot easier, or at least Max through it was, but Max was enjoying that opportunity to climb a wall like that, something she hadn’t done before.

“Some more activity wouldn’t hurt. Maybe instead of doing it doing the Winter it could be during Spring, it could draw more attention.” She commented as she continued climbing along with her two companions.

“A marathon could be a good idea, I haven’t run in a while, but I personally prefer obstacle course.” Running had its qualities, but she did enjoy some obstacle course along with it, it was more fun, and people would have to pay attention to whatever they were doing so they wouldn’t be caught off guard. “You know, they could organize something for the day at the lakes, instead of those water balloons last year. It was fun and I loved it, but there’s so many things they could do.” The day at the lakes had been a special day for Max, she hadn’t realized it earlier but as she looked at it, it had been special and somewhat an event to remember.

"You know, you're giving me an idea." Samantha said as Max expanded upon the possibility of the town organizing a marathon - which in itself was something the Bourke sincerely hoped many would want to join, but that was no reason to be complacent and stick to a singular thought. "How about we do something like that obstacle course in Tally for a test run? Since you like those, you might have some ideas when it comes to designing them, and since it's at school, we could throw in some magic in the mix."

"Sounds a bit dangerous. But it's novel, I'll give you that." The quarter-Fae spoke as she climbed up the wall without too much difficulty, at least visibly. "You could pull it off in the Grounds, though I don't mind scoping out the place during a Dueling day." Natasha was still very present on campus after all, being the club's overseer. If the idea flew off the ground, it could be that having her name attached to it would win some brownie points with the staff.

"What do you think?" Samantha asked Max directly; although as she did, she was able to see Natasha losing balance out the corner of her eye. The girl's body was veering towards one side, threatening to collide with the structure; Samantha let go of one of the rocks with her closest hand and steadied the woman, before pushing her back to where she should be and smiling encouragingly.

"...Thanks."

Samantha seemed to be up to something, an obstacle course with magic? Sounded like a very good idea, but how many students would actually try something like that? Would it be competing for house points? Or would it be something more casual? Teams or not? It was all questions Max would have to ask the Bourke what were her ideas exactly. Climbing and talking wasn’t probably a good idea, while Max didn’t mind some brainstorming over a physical activity it could get pretty tiresome later. “How about we talk about it once we hit the ground and we’re eating some snacks?” Max proposed.

Whatever Sam’s idea was, it was worth listening to is, maybe get some more students on board and find a way to go through with it, maybe even go to a Professor someone who would be willing to help them and give them permission to do so.

“I personally like the idea, it would be introducing something new and might even help some students socializing.” Max spoke as she continued to climb without a problem.

Max noticed Natasha losing her balance but before she could say or do anything Sam has saved the day. “You’re alright?” Max asked the older woman. “Maybe we should do some brainstorming once we reach the ground, the conversation might distract us.”

"That's fair." They had to focus so not to fall after all - given it was a Muggle-populated area, Samantha didn't exactly want to show off the fact she could land on her feet safely should she lose her grip on the wall past a threshold that would be potentially fatal to a human being; hell, she didn't want her companions to witness such a thing either, as her heritage was a secret kept under lock and key. In hindsight, she should've used the ropes as a potential way to keep the truth about her nature hidden properly.

Natasha nodded towards Max with an awkward, wry smile. She could feel the shiver of vertigo running down her spine even if heights never bothered her that much - the fact of the matter was that she was in an alien situation and it was having an effect on her. Deciding that the sooner she'd finish her ascent the sooner she'd come back down, the Tallygarunga alumni resumed the struggle upwards with newfound determination - the quicker she got there, the less room for failure she'd have to wade through.

It didn't take the three too long to reach the summit. While Natasha breathed out a sigh in relief and couldn't wait to make it back to surface, the Bourke among them let go of the rocks with one hand to better let herself turn backwards - she wanted to savor the view, and it brought a smile to her lips. "Wow. You can see most of Narrie from here!"

Max wasn’t in the mood to fall to her death, so when Samantha agreed that they could chat once they were on the ground eating, Max was happy. Max looked down to the ground and while she wasn’t scared of heights, she understood that one wrong step and she would become a human pancake, probably wouldn’t die, but she didn’t want to find out what would happen if a fall occurred

It felt like something wasn’t quite right with the older woman, perhaps a little fear from how far from the ground they were? Or was it just normal nerves whenever someone who didn’t seem to be an experienced climber decided to climb a wall so high that they could almost touch the sky. Max was probably overreacting, it was impossible to touch the sky from their position, but it didn’t mean she couldn’t dream about it.

Once they reached the top Max sat on the edge of the wall, to think they now had to climb down was disappointing, they could just sit there watch the town quietly, enjoying their view. “It’s a shame the snacks are on the ground. Wouldn’t it be great to just sit here and watch the town for a while?” Max commented. It was a perfect place, she wished she could take a phone to show Senan, but they would have other opportunities, just the two of them, today was about Sam and Natasha.

“This is a beautiful place.” She closed her eyes to feel the breeze on her face. It didn’t last long, they needed to go down so that other people could go up.

Samantha soon joined the redheaded Spencer atop the wall, sitting on the edge and dangling her legs seemingly without a care in the world - unless one were to properly observe her, as she had her hands firmly latch on to either side of where she was sitting for balance. "Maybe next time." Samantha suggested jokingly, although if she was climbing without support to begin with, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to repeat the effort while wearing a bag holding a few snacks within. "We still have this event going on for a week, right? Plenty of time. And yeah, I agree, this place is amazing." In a strange way, it felt like home to the Bourke. She never wanted to leave Narragyambie for as long as she lived if she could help it.

Natasha didn't join the pair on top of the structure due to the gear impeding her, but she nevertheless turned her body around once her grip was secure to enjoy the view. They were right - the bird's eye view of the city was absolutely breathtaking and it brought a smile to the quarter Fae's lips. The effort had been worth it. "I can see the campus from here." She idly commented whilst adjusting herself on the rocks.

"Me too! Look there!" Samantha took a hand off the wall temporarily to excitedly point at Tallygarunga off in the distance, mostly obscured by the Murrigal Bushland.

Eating snacks while watching the town sounded like the best idea Max had in a while. She looked around taking a deep breath and enjoying the view. She didn’t bother to hold onto anything, she was able to maintain her balance assuming no one was going to push her over the wall. She nodded as Sam’s question. As far as Max knew the wall was going to stay there for a whole week, they would have plenty of time to try it again, and maybe next time they could take those sweet sweet snacks instead of having to go down to eat them.

Max turned at Natasha and smiled. “It looks so small from up here, doesn’t even look like the same school.” Max opted to enjoy the view of the campus before turning her attention to someplace else. She tried to look for Senan’s house, but she felt a bit stupid for trying to do so, it would be impossible to find the house from up there, and even if it was possible, she wouldn’t be able to distinguish the house with her own eyes.

The redhead looked again towards Tally as Sam pointed in its direction, it still looked as little as when Max stared at it a few minutes ago. Tally had been a whole new world, and a refreshing one for Max, her life took a turn for the best when she got into that school, it was also her last chance, one more strike and she would be out and it was muggle school for her.

“Do you girls still want to hang up here a while longer or shall we go eat?”

"I think I'm good, actually..." Voiced the older of the three, as looking backwards to enjoy the view was starting to give her some muscle soreness. It was time to come down, and she looked at the ground under them; they were far higher up than she suspected, and a mild sense of vertigo had a chill run down her spine. "How... How do I get down again...?" She muttered, as they hadn't gone over the procedure; last thing she wanted was to splat her body on the floor despite all the gear keeping her safe.

Samantha had checked the gear beforehand, knowing it to be safe, and so she skipped right into teaching the baker the proper method. "Okay, first, plant your feet on the wall." The Bourke stated while moving back down to a climbing position - not having the luxury of gear, she'd have to go down the hard way. "Like so." She momentarily demonstrated, carefully not to lose any balance for the brief time she had to step off the platforms. Natasha imitated her somewhat awkwardly, her arms being too short for the venture. "Hold onto the rope instead, you'll be fine."

Obeying after a hint of hesitation, Natasha got a grin of encouragement from the young Bourke; it was perhaps for the best that she wasn't as light-skinned as the others, as the heat bubbling under the skin of her cheeks wouldn't be so visible. "Just pretend you're sitting on a chair. After that, just move down in short leaps and keep the flow going." It wasn't a simple procedure, but the fact they not climbing an actual rock formation made things easier for all involved. It didn't take too much of a try for Natasha to get the hang of it and rappel down to ground level.

As the baker made her way down, Samantha looked up at Max. "If we're going to eat, then, so much for a race upwards... But, what about a race downwards?" She wiggled her eyebrows once in good humor so to entice the redhead to join her in the silly activity, figuring they could shove a little more fun into the whole thing.

• Chat Time