Cbox
No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tyson McKennis

Invite How High Can You Go?

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

While he was no Narrie resident there were very few things in the world that the young aspiring athlete couldn't ignore. A discount on food, given his situation, had been the largest godsend of it all and organized activities that had been geared towards most likely keeping a healthier lifestyle amongst the populace. Inspiring them and incentivizing, not unlike how some coaches managed their times in his opinion. Tyson could tell the difference between those that had been accustomed to the activities and those that had still had been learning, finding their place and mostly by how key individuals had been standing on the side assisting and teaching. 

As for himself, it hadn't been his first rodeo in engaging the war between the agility of man against the well placed design of the walls, often finding it as an opportunity to keep his body strength up in an extremely unique way even if it hadn't been done often. He made his way over towards one of the taller ones, something about it called to him, demanded that it be challenged by the young daredevil. What more could he do than oblige it of the call it seemed to sang in its imposing statue? That had been when he started to sit down onto the ground, hands checking along his sneakers, tightening the laces and affixed the footwear to settle around his ankle comfortably to avoid any serious injuries through inadequate safety. 

Then he started to pull finger-less gloves out of a sports bag, pulling them on to his hands and tightening the Velcro latches right against his wrists and firmly double tapped them into place with a smoothed rub that followed right after. The young man huffed to himself taking in the air and pushed himself up from the ground giving a free stretches to make loosen up his limbs, surely enough time to get his body prepared while he awaited for a good opportunity to approach the wall. 

It looked like it'd been a good turn out too, which seemed like a positive outcome in his books.

Melbourne ☆ Cartoonist, Session DrummerKirupachi
22 year old Squib Human ☆ She/Her

People drifted away because of their lives. It was a fact Alex had been having some trouble contending with lately, much like her brother. As a Squib, she was quite used to being solitary growing up in most regards; it was still quite jarring, however, when each person within her circle of friends went their own way, inadvertently pulling themselves apart from everyone. It was what was occurring with her little group, and she was equal parts to blame, having gotten a stress-prone job that ate at most of her time. However, for once, she had a full weekend off. Wanting to actually do something about her problems rather than just complain, the young adult took her car late Friday afternoon and drove all the way to Narragyambie. It was a longer drive than she'd like it to be, but it was as good of an opportunity as any to make a surprise visit to the rest of her family.

Of course, that didn't mean she'd spend every waking moment in either the Collins or Lin households - she was still the type to need a refresher. It often was the simple act of walking that cleared her mind and spirit, and as such, the Squib had decided to take a trip to the Narrie Lakes: she had spotted a couple flyers of some sort of event called 'Just Do It June', its catchiness appeasing her naturally curious nature. It was the perfect excuse to explore the little town she had spent the better part of her teenage years in, and there was a strong possibility she'd come across someone she knew given how lively the event seemed to be, regardless of biting cold.

The drummer eventually strolled over to her destination to survey the various activities available to the populace. She could spot a playground nearby, as well as a few food carts to provide visitors with healthy street food; but a colossal structure almost immediately caught her eye, drowning out every other potential avenue for fun - a gigantic climbing wall. She lacked the proper equipment to climb it, but being the daredevil that she was, she was considering doing so unassisted.

"Well, you're a sight for sore eyes." She commented to the wall as she walked up to one person she did recognize standing just before it, warming up to take the challenge on as well. "Oh, and, hi to you too." She joked once speaking to Tyson, poking fun at the prior initial hostility from when they had been introduced by Jamie. She wasn't fully comfortable around the man just yet, but it was a fair assessment to say he was a level above the rest of the strangers inhabiting the area at that moment.

"You came prepared." She stated the obvious with a hint of respect in her tone. "Do you do this whole climbing gig often?"

Temperature didn't seem to matter to the young man, though in truth he'd been exercising pure will in ignoring the drop itself even with the clothes he had on that covered him well enough to block out the minor chills that had whipped through the usual season around this time. As he started to stand up to double check everything: Clothing bound tightly to himself to avoid snags, gloves properly held tightly to his wrists without loosening, and that his shoes were properly fitted and tied tightly without a stray lace that could trip him up, he spotted someone whom had been mildly familiar which caught most of his attention while he went into auto-pilot mode checking each sector of himself. 

A smooth chuckle emitted from him as she greeted him in a joking manner. "Yo', what's up?" Of the few people that came to mind that he would've ran into today? She hadn't been on the list, which made it quite surprising for him. Not an unpleasant one, even with the hostile personality that seemed to whip up from her on their first meeting. It'd been something he'd been used to ever since he'd met Violet before their unfortunate split. "Gotta' say, wasn't expectin' to run into ya'. Jamie? Maybe." His upper-classman had a far busier schedule in comparison to himself which gave it a teeter on whether or not he'd actually run into the older male or not. 

Tyson's head shook lightly in denial. "Nah, not as often as I'd like. Once in a while, some old gear and stuff. I actually bought some for the Auror program since I wasn't sure just how physical intensive it would've been, ya' know? Had to make sure my basis were covered." A casual shrug flows from him, as if it were a normal thought to be that highly prepared for a class without gaining any official syllabus. "Even then, good investment it seems." Then a grin formed on his face as he glanced towards the towering wall that had been an eye-catcher even from a single cursory glance. "What about you? Just getting out for some fresh air or planning to test the limits of ya' strength and climbing this monstrosity? Have some extra gloves if ya' need 'em. Helps to make sure your hands don't take too much pressure, grabbing the wrong way could cause some pretty harsh effects."

Not that he had to worry about that personally, his hands had been so calloused and rough that it would've taken a hell of a lot of pressure to even break through to that kind of point. Though one could never be too aware of would be left behind with so many people and so many hands running along the wall's studs. 

"Nah, he's too busy sucking off his management team. You get me instead." Alex couldn't resist the stab at her brother's passive demeanor regarding the blatant mistreatment. It got under her skin far too easily, as she wanted to protect her twin from them; but, he had signed a contract. He willingly signed a contract that put him in such an egregious position. 'Fucking idiot.'

That word wasn't strange to her. Auror. Her cousin had brought it up himself a couple months before when he pondered joining the program. Before that, she knew her family had some sort of passing underlying connection to the job, although she wasn't sure what it was exactly - she hadn't bothered to ask any of them, not being really connected to the Wizarding World in general to such an extent even basic concepts were alien to her at times. Although, she did have the knowledge that it was a dangerous job. Tyson had seemed like a very fit individual to her, wall climbing notwithstanding, so by all accounts she held the belief that he was more physically apt for the task than Cole was.

"I was curious about this place when I saw the flyer, s'why I'm here. Didn't expect a wall though." The drummer looked up the structure until her gaze met the top of the climbing wall. "Never actually did much climbing myself, but, how hard can it be?" Despite her words, she was quite aware that a misstep could cost her dearly in the situation. She decided to remove her coat (the chill made her momentarily regret her decision) and set it down by Tyson's bag, not bothering to ask if it was okay. She reached into it for the extra gloves he had mentioned, putting them on - given that his hands were larger than hers they were quite loose, but it would have to do.

"Gotcha. Sounds straightforward enough. Lead the way, King Amateur Climber." She spoke while taking a hold of the safety harness.

That wasn't the kind of image he expected to be painted of Jamie, of course, it couldn't be helped either when it came to sports. Or, so he'd been told by someone else he knew that had been in the gig. "Yea, I heard from someone I knew who had been an international pro that it could get pretty rough like that." Every so often his mind wandered of to Violet, not just because of the kind of connection they held but because the advice that came from the woman had always been a solid one. "Yo', no problem with getting you. Seems like ya' keep yourself in shape too. Would be cool to see how ya' can handle the pace of it too. If ya' actually are bringing your A-Game, of course." Tyson shook his head lightly with a challenging grin painted on his face. "Cause I don't have any gear but high, ya feel?"

His eyes shifted to give a longer glance towards the wall as it had been the subject focus. "Yea, that I didn't expect either. It gives folks something to look at and participate in. Probably wouldn't make the memories any other way." Some came to try their hand in it, others may have been convinced to try it out to conquer the fear - he noticed even a good chunk of those just taking pictures of it in order to catch that memory to put in an album or shuffle away somewhere to stare at some later point in their lives. A grin turned up on his lips in a firm broadness. "Yea? How hard? Aight, let's see what ya' got. Might even have that first timer's luck at it." He twitched his head towards the horizontal beast of a wall. 

It didn't take long to reach the intended destination as his eyes scaled the length of the wall, giving it an eyed estimation of what they would be getting themselves into while he strapped the harness around his waist and reached for the clips in order to attach them to each unoccupied loop before giving a secured pull on the  each edge to ensure security. Then raised both of his hands up to a comfortable space before gripping the built-in panels of the wall. "Now, do ya' wanna up the stakes here? A bit of a bet or somethin'?" He wasn't sure -how much- like her brother she'd been, but he also wasn't the type to turn down a good wholesome challenge when it could add a bit more excitement to the activity. 

"A bet? You want a race? Hm..." The Squib mulled over the idea while approaching the wall herself and putting on the appropriate piece of equipment, securing herself properly while occasionally glancing at Tyson to get a good idea on how to do it without making any mistakes. Tugging at the rope for a little test drive, it seemed that the pair was good to go.

"How about..." It took her a few additional seconds to come up with something, at which point she snapped her fingers with the realization. "Oh, I know. You get me a drink from the Roo if I win." She was trying to drop the alcohol, but just one drink wouldn't hurt, right? One drink at another person's dime, no less. "You're old enough for that, right?" It's not like just one beer would put to rest all her work. Right?

"What about you? Whaddya want if you win?" She knew she would likely lose - even if she was athletic, she couldn't compare to an actual professional athlete, let alone one of the opposite gender - it would take a miracle for Alex to win. Nevertheless her morbid sense of curiosity got the better of her and she jumped head first into that adventure. Closing the gap between herself and the wall, the cartoonist took hold of the small platforms jutting out of the structure in preparation to propel herself upwards, and waited for her opponent to do the same. 'Fair play's the name of the game.'

"Yea, why not?" The young man offered a casual shrug with a slight smile shaped on his face. He positioned himself just before the wall's panels, hands reaching up and grasping at the edge of a panel, one for each hand before hoisting himself up onto the first sets. Testing his balance before even beginning, not in the position where he could make a careless mistake due to the various things that he would still need to deal with in every day life. 

Tyson chuckled, a tone of amusement laced through his breathy laughter. "Yea, I'm old enough for it. Though should ya' be drinking?" While he didn't know of the woman's habit he was privy enough that it was something that caused a hint of worry for her family members that she hung around with. "Aight, I'll grab ya' one, as long as ya' don't go telling your brother -I'm- the one who did it, yea? Can't have my upper classman giving me that kind of a glare." That had been partial humor but had there been actual truth to the words? He couldn't say that it -wouldn't- happen even if part of him had expected it'd be more directed to the twin than himself in that regard. 

"Me? Eh, I didn't really give much thought to it all, ya' know?" What would even be a good prize? "Aight, I got it, how about ya' buy me a meal then? I can always use a good meal on someone else's dime once in a while." He wasn't -too- prideful about how he managed to get through some of the weeks between trying to save up money and finding a suitable place that he could call his own 'home' as the Dorms were quite a temporary stance. As he took a far more firm hold on to the wall he glanced towards Alex with a firm nod.  He didn't even think to ask if she'd been 'ready', as she moved herself into position; it'd been a sign that spoke in body language rather than words from the lips. 

Which, for him? Had been the kind of language he could understand far better than anything else. "We'll climb on three, yea?" After bouncing a few times to make sure he had an idea of what could of leverage his feet would be working with, he'd begin the count down. A steady raise of, 'One, Two, Three!' - the final word being intended to be their 'firing shot' to begin climbing. Being that he'd been the initiator of the countdown he wait for only a second before vaulting himself upwards. 

It'd only been fair, after all, to delay himself slightly rather than saying three than going. That would've been just bad sportsmanship and Tyson didn't particularly care to win that kind of manner, it had to be done fairly in his mind. 

A victorious smile stretched across Alex's lips as her part of the bet was accepted - while she should really quit the sweet embrace of alcohol, one drink that wasn't out of her pocket couldn't hurt her too much; although, she should probably ensure she didn't tell a single soul about should she win, lest she get grilled about it until the end of time. But, if anything, she could always claim she had been drinking socially. Right? "He'll never know." For not only Tyson's sake, but her own.

"Well, lucky you. My bank account's actually alive and breathing these days, so I can get you something nice." She had gotten her first paycheck - for someone whom was used to being paid upfront or upon completion of a given task, it felt odd to see so much money be deposited at once. Not that it was a lot in itself, but it was certainly a lot more than the amount she was used to seeing. "Let me know if you have a favorite place to chow down at or something like that." Truth be told, the idea of a meal with a friend (even if Tyson hardly qualified as such) was something that greatly interested her - everyone was going their own way those days and it was hard to find coincidental free time between everyone, and thus social gatherings had become quite rare.

She watched as Tyson joined her to climb the structure. Nodding to his request, the Squib looked up - heights had never bothered her much, but she wasn't so arrogant as to assume she'd win that race. After the countdown she started her own journey upwards with a surprising amount of grace for someone as crass as her, an indication of having endured some sort of physical discipline in the past herself; despite not being as fast in the ascent as the former Bourke, Alex was no slouch, balancing herself being her bread and butter which contributed to a solid, misstep free climb despite being a complete amateur at the activity.

A smirk touched his lips, if she hadn't planned on telling anyone he wouldn't either. "Sounds like a good deal to me then." Something didn't need to be said anyways, as someone who often 'cheated' on his workout days a bit of a slip wasn't too bad as long as it didn't get out of hand. It could even assist the process of giving something up through careful weaning. 

He wasn't looking for anything particularly nice: Munching on a single steak or hamburger would've counted as 'good' by his personal standards and glance. Even so, could he really complain about passing up what the woman would've viewed as a 'nice meal'? Well, Momma (In all of her short time in his life) didn't raise no fool. "A favorite place, huh? Aight, I'll let ya' know on winning." While he'd been confident in himself that he could win he understood the 'upset victories' that often came about in competitions and sports. It wasn't a bad deal overall either, he had known very little of Alex due to her not attending Tallygarunga and had only gained exposure through a mutually known person. Perhaps expanding his social circle more wasn't a bad idea in hits entirety. 

Tyson admired the conviction and firmness in the motions of her movement during their ascension of the wall, heights hadn't been a worry for him in the slightest. There had been a sense of. . . Pride? Maybe even a general enjoyment, however, in being able to control the way he traversed along the wall without the assistance of magic. He expanded the full width of his leg and arms in order to reach greater gaps, shimming along the surface of the wall as if he were some form of human spider or gecko. Head lifted up and always peering towards the next goal that he had in mind and even had been acutely aware of the position of his feet during the push. 

While he gave Alex a head start it wasn't out of underestimating the woman's physical talent which she showed that she hadn't been slacking in the least. Not that he wouldn't have but he knew he couldn't risk -not- giving his all for someone who had every capability and finesse to actually meet and exceed the challenge that they'd put forth. The gloves he wore offered a security of grip where normally he probably would've had to worry about sweaty palms becoming a hazard. 

Alex hadn't noticed that Tyson had given her a head start, or that she was ahead at all, such was her focus on what was directly above herself. Even with equipment shielding her from harm, she didn't have the luxury of performing magic as a backup plan if something went really wrong, and as people used to say, better to prevent than to cure. Even if it was a race, she didn't seem to be dashing upwards, ensuring every movement was steady and secure before moving upwards to the next set of climbing rocks.

"Just don't have me take you to eat lobster or something and it should be fine." The Squib joked, although the very mention of shellfish made her curious - the family had never taken her to such a place growing up (and couldn't afford it for the vast majority of her childhood to begin with), and she wasn't about to ask Jamie to fork over rivers of money - which she was positive he had, with his job - to cater to her whims. Alex was too proud a person for that. Maybe she should save up to be able to afford it instead? Maybe she could take everyone to such a place during the twins' birthday the coming year.

"Say." The girl started talking as they climbed up the structure. They needed to be focused, but that didn't mean they had to be completely mute. "Do you guys have to all be ripped to partake in that sports thingy you all do? With the brooms and stuff? Whatever it's called." She could never remember it past it being a name starting with Q. Who the hell named things starting with that letter? "Kinda freaky how buff Jamie is, and you seem to be in good shape yourself. I though you just had to fly around in brooms or something?"

The expedited ascent that he made to catch himself up to the woman could be attested to drive and confidence within himself that he would be able to make every advance without hesitation or consideration of the fall. It had less to do with knowing that he could always show up at some magical healer's door to get treated, it simply had been the way he chose to carry himself as a athlete. Nothing had ever been gained with fear of the path ahead, worrying about the pain that could occur. His pace however, started to slow down to meet her pace to some degree once conversation sparked between the two of them. Just because it was a race didn't mean they couldn't socialize, right?

"Aight, how about some lobster, we split it and the check?" He glanced over towards her with a playful grin, catching hint of her joke. He hadn't the opportunity to really have lobster in any grand fashion but he had been taken to a place that often dealt with a various style of foods one of the more popular being 'Lobster rolls'.  Trying to keep proper pace with her involved far more self-awareness than he'd anticipated while still trying to keep in mind that the two of them had been competitor's in the moment. "What kind of food do  ya' like to stuff up with? We can make that the deal next time or something." Or he could even choose a place that could cater to her needs as much as his own. 

Tyson's gaze shifted towards her, a wide smile forming out of amusement. "Quidditich? Not necessarily. You'll find lots of folks aren't really -that- toned in the sport, ya' know? But you do need enough strength and finesse to deal with ya' position like any sport." He wasn't sure how to break it down though from the looks of the wall and their pace? They had a bit of time for a quick summary he guessed. "So, ya' got four positions. Chasers, my main position, we deal with the quick scores. Taking the Quaffle and tossing it through the goal, requires a good strength of hold and enough to toss it while also keeping ya' broom stabilized." His eyes averted upwards for a moment while he pulled himself up. "Then ya' have Beaters, they keep the 'Bludger' away from their teammates and smack it towards others with these sturdy bats. The Bludger is a round solid ball and hurts like hell. Literally could break ya' arm with a direct hit." And that had just been a -good- outcome if someone took on one of those balls of death. 

"The Keeper's job is pretty explanatory, same thing in like, soccer. Gotta keep the goal free and clear." He wasn't sure how many people had forgotten that he actually had been a Muggleborn, which allowed for him to make certain comparisons better for those not entirely in the Wizarding world. "Now, Jamie's a Seeker. Usually ya' don't want someone so buff playing that position. They gotta chase the golden snitch which probably can beat a Cheetah, lighter fliers are generally preferred. But he's got the speed and daring to pull it off, ya' know? His strength lets him compensate for certain styles others can't do without it." With another pull he hauled his body a few more notches upwards along the climbing-wall. 

"But my training is also different from Jamie's, a lot of my regiment includes Muay Thai."

Splitting the check over a nice lobster meal brought a chuckle out of Alex's throat - that was a quick and easy way to bring Tyson to financial ruin, even if he only had to afford half of it, or such was the curse of being a college student: if it weren't for Jamie, she could easily claim she knew the plight all too well. "I'm more of a curry girl myself. Let's go for lobster curry." Was that even a thing? She didn't much care, as she was amused by the little joke.

Tyson then went on to thoroughly described the sport that had eluded her for so many years. Given that she hadn't bothered to memorize details while her brother was a professional athlete, she doubted the little explanation would stick to her mind for much longer than a minute or two. Nevertheless she listened to him (as much as the attention split permitted anyway, along with the climb) and indulged in his rambling - right up until he mentioned the 'Beaters', of course, which made her mildly grimace through the ascent. She really didn't enjoy visualizing her twin getting hurt as it made her feel sick to her stomach.

"He didn't use to be so big back in the day. I think he only bulked up when he graduated. And we probably gotta blame Shane on that one. He doesn't do any of that fighting stuff though, you could probably knock him unconscious without even trying." She knew the man was the one who introduced Jamie to the activity in the first place, but if he had made it into the national team, it meant it didn't hamper his performance so much. That, or the management merely saw his marketability so valuable that they could take a hit to potential future results.

"Though your 'Chaser' or whatever part just reminds me of handball. Why not play handball instead? It sounds way less dangerous. And by the way, I thought this was a race." She spoke as they climbed up the wall, having noticed the man kept his pace alongside hers.

"Lobster Curry?" His head tilted to the side questioningly, not that it sounded odd in of itself. He just didn't take her for the sort to eat curry and if he had to be honest he never entertained the thought before. Though no one experienced anything new by shying away from it that had just been a simple universal truth with many things. It didn't sound bad either the more he thought on it further either. "Aight, we can do that then. Probably easier on both of us that way." A low laughter falling from his lips with a quirky smile. 

He expected most people to tune out when he went through the process of explaining the general basics of the game when it came to each position and their job. Even more so when it came to the usual capabilities those positions are scouted for. The entire game itself had been normal for him or as normal as it could be for someone who hadn't been fully exposed to the Wizarding world while growing up in the single digit years. 

"Ahaha, Ya' would be surprised what could happen in the moment with those kinds of things too." Not that he would've turned down a spar with someone under proper conditions. He had long expected that Jamie most likely wasn't a Martial Artist, mostly because it didn't seem as if the man had much time for anything since signing up with the Major leagues of Quidditich. "It's a pretty good to take up earlier in life but tons of folks start later on too. Ya' know, it helps with discipline and health as much as it does in self confidence." Some people ended up with far too much confidence that they knocked on the door of Arrogance itself but it'd been a competitive enough environment that most people could be knocked back down to the humble realms. 

"Yea! Pretty much what Chaser is like, honestly." Tyson glanced towards her with a grin. It never popped in his mind to make that kind of relation, something new to file in the pages. "Doesn't have the same kind of thrill from it for me. Quidditich is this kind of. . . Unique freedom." Then his eyebrow arched upwards and he laughed lightly. "Ya wanted to talk a bit. Can't do that if I'm outright beating ya'." He smirked playfully while picking up his pace once more as he started to climb higher with increasing momentum. "Guess we'll just have to chat after this!"

• Chat Time