Tallygarunga | The Australian Potterverse
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke

Tally Staff ☆ Tallygarunga Librarian★ Sadrienne
40 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

Restless didn't even begin to describe how Adele felt these days. She was antsy to the point of physical discomfort, incapable of stillness and lacking the ability to focus on anything for any length of time. Luckily DJ was a good sleeper, and there were plenty of helping hands around to help her care for him. Améa was sitting in with the boys in her living quarters tonight, offering Adele the chance for a night to relax and look after herself. 

But she couldn't even decide what she wanted to do, where she wanted to go, even though her entire self was screaming to escape and keep moving she just didn't know to where. The frustration, fuelled by indecision, meant she had only so much as glanced into a few places in town before heading back to Tallygarunga and wandering aimlessly about the halls. Dressed as if she were for a night out, lost in body and soul. The first few hours of the night slipped away, she put some books away in the library. Wandered out to the memorial garden and laughed at the irony of it. Walked out by F3 and the West Wall, eventually heading back up to the staff room.

It was empty, and dark. She lit a single candle, preferring the dramatic darkness. It seemed to suit her mood, the flickering candle doing the same dance as her mind as it flitted from one idea to the next, nothing ever satisfying enough to settle. She wanted everything and nothing. She was hungry, but no food existed to quell that deep hunger. Nothing was enough. Even a single space to stand wasn't right, and she paced around the staffroom table as the light from the candle played about her features.

Alan would be furious if he saw her smoking indoors, which was exactly why she lit one up. That seemed to be the only real constant lately. She didn't even want the cigarette, nor did she really want the drink she poured herself. It was just something to do. Something to irk Alan. Something to make her feel more than just a plastic bag on the wind.

Her ear pricked slightly as the staffroom door began to groan, signalling that it would open and Adele turned to face it.

"Don't you go farting in here, Alan," she called, assuming it would be the headmaster. "You'll blow us all up."

Professor Teaching Staff ☆ Wandless Magic ProfessorTecri
28 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her/Hers

What was Andy thinking when she decided she could teach kids? Why become a high school teacher? The normal questions Andy likes to torture herself with. She was up for a walk around the school grounds, she had prepared her classes for the term, she had done everything humanly possible to have the rest of the term run smoothly, perhaps she should start working for the other two. With her free time shouldn’t be too hard pulling it off within the next couple of days, or even wait for the break to do it, no classes, no kids, maybe she could even do them in a few hours without having to worry about the uncultured apes she had in her classroom.

After a while Andy found herself walking towards the staff room. The young woman had no idea why she was there, but she thought she could at least have a change of scenery from her room. She put her hand on the doorknob and turned it before hearing someone’s voice from the inside, an amusing thing to say to someone. “I’m not Alan, I think my farts more deadly than explosive.” She spoke entering the room, her face not even changing upon the failed attempt to make a joke.

“Hello, Ms. DeVylissea.” Andy spoke with a faint smile. She wasn’t about to start a fight at that hour, especially with someone she barely knew. Starting a fight would be a bad idea, while highly appealing to the younger woman, Andy would prefer if she didn’t have to go around arguing or fighting with Adele, besides, she was too tired to do so unless provoked. The light of the candle wasn’t enough to illuminate the room properly and gave the room a slight relaxed feeling, if it wasn’t for Adele smoking inside that would have been a perfect place to relax.

“How are you doing today?” Did Andy care? Not at all, she couldn’t care less about Alede and whatever she was going through if she was going through anything, but the fact that it was irrelevant to her didn't mean she had to be rude. 

It wasn't Alan. Adele was mildly disappointed with that. She'd been looking forward to a bit of a fight. Alan was easy to rile up, and it would be something to do... at least until Audrey came in with that disapproving frown and Alan left with his tail between his legs. That was another thing Adele just didn't get. Alan and Audrey. She had known Audrey since the kid was in pre-school, it didn't seem right that those two should be a thing. Oh, sure. The girl was a full grown adult now, but still. David, who had been as a brother to Audrey for most of the girl's life, hadn't exactly approved of it. 

But there was that hope gone, anyway. It wasn't Alan. She wouldn't have her little moment to rip him to shreds while he lectured her on responsibility and not smoking indoors and whatever else he decided was on his rant list for the day. He had got so much bolder since Lauren's return, Adele was beginning to wonder if he would finally get the stones to actually fire her now. The thin thread of guilt that had had made him overlook her sins was gone. Bully for him. Adele wasn't ungrateful that Lauren was back. She wasn't dismissive of her healthy sons, the brother she had discovered, the father she now knew, the family that had slowly grown around her over the last decade. It was all... wonderful. Truly. But that didn't mean she wasn't hurting deeply, too.

"Riverpond." Adele's reply came with a slight sniff. She flicked cigarette ash into a lone plate on the staffroom table. This was a less than ideal turn of events. Just as Adele was beginning to feel old and irrelevant, she had noticed the students talked more and more about this Riverpond professor. They talked about Riverpond in the hushed and awed tones they had once spoken about Adele. It was ridiculous, but Adele resented the woman for it all the same. Her power in the school had diminished, gone from being the dark queen of the library to the old crone that would give you detention if you didn't return your books on time.

"I'm bored, Riverpond. How about you?" Adele raised an eyebrow, and her drink. "Did you want some? I've enough to share." She motioned to the bottle on the darkened counter. Nevermind farts being flammable, it was a miracle Adele's cigarette hadn't lit the fumes coming off her glass. She sat herself on the edge of the table, crossed her legs in the most ladylike way. 

"My daughter is taking your class, isn't she?" Adele snorted through her nose. "What luck you have."

The longer Andy remained in that room the clearer it was about the tension that kept rising. Andy watched Adele, the woman didn’t seem to like her presence very much, Andy couldn’t see why, she was delightful; maybe Adele was just tired, it was understandable, it wasn’t easy keeping the kids and the library in check, having them running around like animals in a zoo, it certainly wasn’t easy doing all that, even if Adele seemed to strike some fear into the students, which was a fantastic trait. Andy smiled as she thought about it, striking fear into the students would be a very good thing in certain occasions.

“Mostly tired and with how things go I doubt I’ll be able to catch up on my sleep.” Andy was really starting to regret all her life decision about becoming a teacher, but she had never quit on anything and she wasn’t going to quit now. “I will thank you.” Adele knew exactly what it was all about. Usually smoking or drinking would be frowned upon by most staff members, Andy welcomed it. She sat on the table, across from Adele. “You have an excellent idea with those.” She commented, admiring it. As much as she thought that Adele had something against her, for whatever reason, Andy couldn’t stop thinking how great the idea was, maybe she should buy some and hide them in her room.

When Adele spoke, Andy raised her eyes to meet the other woman’s, she thought for a while until it was clear in her mind who it was. “Oh Lauren.” The kid wasn’t a bad student, while she seemed to be bored in class there wasn’t a thing Andy could do about it, the class had to be as difficult as their least experienced students. “I can’t say if I’m lucky or not, but most of the students do like to complicate things …“ while students needed to make mistakes in order to learn, setting things on fire wasn’t learning, it was pure mindless vandalism.

“But that’s not important, I am fascinated how you can get them to fear you, I heard a few things here and there and I was impressed.” Andy wasn't planning on going around spreading the fear around school, but the way students talked about not returning books on time? That was certainly impressive. 

Adele hadn't expected the other woman to take her up on her offer of a drink. As she slid off the edge of the table, she tossed her packet of cigarettes across as well. In case the woman wanted some, Adele wasn't a stingy sort. Besides, if Alan came in to see them both smoking and drinking in the staff room, he would really hit the roof. She poured the second drink, sauntered over and placed it beside Andrea. The alcohol was, in a word, awful. It didn't have a taste beyond that alcoholic burn, a lightweight would find themselves dizzy off just a sniff. Adele didn't believe in doing things by halves, and the problem had been one of her most constant companions throughout her life. 

"Yes, Lauren. She does tend to be a complication," Adele agreed. Lauren hadn't warmed to her at all, Adele didn't really expect that she would, though she would keep trying. It was the same hell she'd put her own mother through. Was still putting her own mother through. At least Alan seemed to have a handle on the girl. Someone had to. 

Adele turned slightly, not expecting Andrea to ask about her reputation among the students. As if the younger professor looked up to her ability, rather than wanted to take it away. Or... was she asking in order to find weaknesses she could exploit? Render Adele utterly powerless even in her own domain? She shrugged a shoulder, let a long stream of smoke flow from her lips and across the room before she spoke.

"Well," she said. "You start by attacking the biggest, scariest child they already look up to." 

Her lips curled into a wicked half-smile, recalling those early, destructive days at Tallygarunga. When she first came here and didn't give two hoots who thought what of her, when it didn't matter if the next day came or not. 

"Once they see that Alan Burdett won't stand up to you, they will all follow suit. Be firm. Don't make a threat you don't mean. And never raise your voice at them. The quieter you are..." Adele lowered her tone to a soft, yet threatening tenor, "...the more they panic."

Andy took the pack of cigarettes that slide across the table. Cigarettes weren’t her thing, but she doubted Adele had what Andy preferred. Andy took a cigarette out of the pack and lit it as she watched Adele pour her some of the alcohol, that was the stuff that fucks up livers, not that Andy intended to live forever anyway, but she did need to get some of the good enough not to make those who don’t drink die after the first sip. She listened as Adele spoke about Lauren, while Lauren hadn’t created havoc in her classroom, except for the slight accident that happened with chalk.

Admiration was the best way to describe how Andy felt towards the older woman, respect was a hard thing to come by, and students didn’t quite answered to respect, but most answered the fear, the light of hope going out in someone’s eyes as they realized no one is going to save them from the mess they created was satisfaction enough for Andy, while she had no desire to be as feared as Adele, she did respect the woman, besides, it would be hard to meet someone who shared her own fondness for books.

The wicked half-smile in Adele’s face made Andy smile, an amused one. “The tales didn’t disappoint.” Andy confessed taking a sip of her drink while she looked at Adele. The older woman was everything she had heard, only Andy admired the woman. “I would love to see that in action one day, I think it would be very impressive. I was genuinely intrigued, I am ashamed it took me so long to finally have a decent conversation with you.”

While Andy wasn’t planning on scaring anyone anytime soon, unless they deserved it, she would be amused to see someone genuinely scared. Adele didn’t seem to be as some portrayed, perhaps because Andy was an adult and wasn’t joking around school.

Adele wasn't sure about this. In the half-dark she studied Andrea, the woman's praise just suspicious to her. Was the woman serious, or was she pulling Adele's leg? There were few people that Adele could accept as being genuine in what they said to her, and it took a long time for anyone to make that list. Currently the list only consisted of her brother, some of her children, and Stuart. And "some" of her children only meant Jezebel, Caleb, and DJ---who was too young to voice an opinion anyway. 

"I haven't had to do it in a while," Adele said airily. She hadn't had to, or she hadn't bothered? The second was more likely. She had lost her iron grip on the school, bit by bit, and the cause of that had been David. He had made her want to be better, in every aspect of her life. Liked, not feared. Respected. She hadn't had to chase feelings in the numbness because he had given her all of that. Their daily dramas all of the excitement she needed to keep her calm, she had stopped finding joy in destruction and became cooperative. She had allowed her appearance to slip into later years, mirroring David's own aging process. And it all would have been worth it, except now he was gone.

"Took me a long time to get back to being myself," she added, as if her happiness was some sort of mental breakdown that had required recovery. That this was a normal and healthy state for her to be in, the person she should be, and not some broken hell-bent husk falling on old bad habits. Adele knew that was wrong, she just didn't know how to go back. How could she go back? Who out there could possibly quell her restlessness like he had? Who else could match her tempers? Who else could meet her on her own level, and win?

"Husbands," she snorted. "Don't get yourself one. Not if you want to be seen as strong, that whole love business takes a big hit to your reputation."

It didn’t matter if Adele hadn’t done it in a while, the simple fact that she could was impressive, and Andrea admired that. It was irrelevant though, while it was something Andrea would enjoy watching for her own amusement, she was sure someone would need to fuck up big time and she wasn’t going to hope for someone to do it, even if she knew that it couldn’t take long, after all the students were prone to mess things up, all she had to do was wait for one to do so.

To Andrea it seemed that the older woman had gone through a few things, the way she was talking it seemed that it had been rough, but Andy had to admit the woman had managed well. The younger female watched Adele quietly as the woman continued to talk. Apparently, it had been a husband. “I don’t plan on. But thanks for the warning.” She leaned on the chair always looking at the older woman. “Love is too complicated, people always expect you to change and why get attached to someone when you can have all the fun with no strings attached?” Andy preferred that kind of fun, if people wanted love, they could just get a dog, there was no need for company unless it was to have some fun.

It’s not love exactly. You can still fall in love and be a badass that everyone fears. I think it’s us. The need we have to be better for someone else.” Love wasn’t Andrea’s department, she had never been in love, she barely had any crushes, what she did have was fondness for certain people, and that didn’t categorize as trying to be better for someone, she just did whatever she wanted, how she wanted and sometimes, with whoever she wanted and wanted her, maybe it was a matter of perspective. “But, my point stands, why love someone when you can have the fun? Want love? Get a dog, those will love your either you’re good or evil as long as you feed it and rub it’s belly.”

"Oh, it's not something you plan on, sweetheart," Adele laughed bitterly. Gods, but she knew how hard it could be to resist. They had both tried, pushing away from one another in increasingly more damaging and hurtful ways, always coming back like magnets. Inescapable. Neither wanted to settle down. Neither wanted to give up their freedom, their late nights and bad choices. It had just happened to them. One by one, all the things they had fought to keep didn't seem important anymore, didn't feel as satisfying as just sitting together in conversation. Ick. 

It wasn't like she had lost her edge completely. Students still cowered at her desk, books still came back (mostly) on time, and the kids knew better than to dog-ear the pages. But it had softened her. She had been reliably sober, helpful, students had gone back to sneaking their cigarettes out the back of F3 because she no longer haunted that area herself. Her intensity had faded. That was the difference. She had gone from lioness to domesticated cat, and while no one wanted to provoke her... it wasn't the same.

"It takes you hostage. And when it's good, gods---even when it's bad---that fun is still there. It's different, but it's there. You start by having all the old fun together, tearing up the town, throwing dishes, inappropriate conduct in public places... until you realise that it's not the drama that makes it fun now. It's that partner in crime, and why spend all that energy being wild when you can be just as fulfilled sitting on the back porch together, with a glass of wine, laughing at the moon?" 

The memory struck a deep and painful part of her heart. 

"He never asked me to be better. Well... he suggested I cut back on the drink a little, and wouldn't come near me after I'd had a cigarette... but he never asked me to be someone else. I never asked it of him. We changed into people we liked more. That's... that's what love does. It shows you all the parts of your soul that you don't like, gives you the time and structure to mend them. Dogs are fun and all, and freedom is wonderful. I don't wish I'd never met him because he made me soft. I could have lived with that." Adele frowned, finished her cigarette and lit another.

"I wish I'd never met him because nothing is the same after. Nothing feels the same. It doesn't matter what I do. How outrageous, how much I drink, how far I push the envelope... it all feels like nothing."

It might not be something one plans one, but Andy was pretty sure that wasn’t going to happen, getting close enough to people in order to start feeling that wasn’t something she wished, perhaps she was being young and naïve about it, but it was still something she was going to avoid. Andy doesn’t do feelings, especially those that involve love, besides, it was an emotion that would make her put someone else’s needs in front of her own, and whoever wasn’t alright with that could just simply leave.

Andy had never been in love, she loves a lot of things, but the need or desire to love someone else? It certainly wasn’t something she was willing to do. She watched as Adele spoke, quietly taking in all the information, obviously someone older knew a lot more about life than Andrea, but did Andrea care about what Adele had to say? Probably not, it would be a useless advice that no matter how good it was, Andy was going to ignore, but it was rude to talk over others.

She continued to listen to Adele, regardless of how Andy thought about relationships and love all that, she couldn’t help to wonder if Adele was right. The whole idea of love was still rubbish, but it was clear what it can do to someone, at least it was she was understanding by how the woman was talking.

When Adele finished talking Andy was unsure what to say or do. Was this a moment where she would have to say some comforting thing about it? Or should she just be quiet about the situation? The man was gone, there wasn’t anything no one could, except move forward. “Perhaps what you need is to reinvent yourself, and maybe take back that control, catch the students by surprise, watch them running around like headless chickens afraid of what might happen.” It seemed the most accurate thing to say, from Andy’s point of view. Andy wasn’t the best giving advice, and she probably enabled certain things that was frowned upon. “I’m thinking nothing will probably be grandiose enough, but I’m talking from a point of view of someone who had nothing like.” Maybe Adele needed to reinvent herself, be the one that fills her, Andy wouldn’t mind watching her terrorize a few students, she was certain they wouldn’t behave like zoo animals.

Reinvent herself? Adele fought the urge to laugh in Andrea's face. 

"There comes a time, Riverpond, when you've shed your skin so many times you forget what sort of snake you are," she said, topping up her own glass and tilting the bottle toward Andrea, offering the other woman a top up. Adele had been so many things, so many people, over the years. Which one was real? All of them? None of them? The next one? She was so far away from the naive young thing dragged out of her homeland that she couldn't remember who she was supposed to be. When things turned, the answer was always to start fresh. New life, new name, new destiny. 

"If it weren't for the kids, I would have been in the wind long ago," Adele sighed. She thought about it often. Packing up and going somewhere new. Leave this life behind, she had been here, what? Nearly fourteen years now. A record. That nomadic lifestyle wasn't one she wished for the boys, though. Didn't want them to live their lives being moved as soon as they got settled, never being able to find a permanent fixture in life. At times, she considered leaving them behind. Her father was brilliant with them, Alexander and Jezebel would ensure they kept ties to the family. Everyone would be fine, except she knew that wasn't true either. She didn't want them to hurt the way that she did, and that meant staying. It meant giving them a stable life, even if her feet itched so much she wanted to tear them off.

Still, Andrea's idea did have some merit. Wasn't it essentially what she had begun tonight, in a way? Deep down she was just waiting for someone to come up here and challenge her. So she could remind them that she took orders from nobody, she didn't give a damn shit what the rules were, she was just going to do what made her happy and screw everyone else. She was restless as hell. Part of that, was---well. Librarians had needs. David had been gone nearly six months. Six months. Any longer and Adele was just going to give up and go to a convent.

"You've not had anything like? Not a crush?" Adele raised an eyebrow, unable to imagine that. She had always been catastrophically co-dependent, first by necessity and later because she knew little other way to survive. "Not a thing that made your heart beat a little faster, for curiosity or more? A someone you wondered, if even briefly, if you might want to see a little more of them?" 

Adele flicked ash into the plate, breathing a tall column of smoke into the air above her. 

"I've had more than a few, of late. Much as it still feels like cheating... but, tell me. If you had your pick of anyone in this town, whose door would you knock upon?" Adele gave the other woman a wicked smile. She did love a good hypothetical. "What would you ask for, and why?"

Perhaps Adele was right, or perhaps it meant that she still needed to find herself. A person’s true core never really changes, while people grow and may temporarily change, either because it was the best suit to wear at that moment, or because of someone, the true core is still intact, it’s still inside waiting for an opportunity to come out and show itself to others. No matter how much people run from it, it’s impossible to run forever, putting up a front can’t last forever, and it was impossible to hide. Andy decided to stay quiet about this, not that it required her to open her mouth and state her opinion, it wasn’t asked.

Andrea accepted more when Adele offered, it wasn’t like her to decline some free drink, even if it was one of the worst things she had drank. Andy never believed in running away, it usually creates more trouble than those it solves, it was preferable to take a problem head on, or at least study to see what the best course of action was. It was different ways to look at a problem, there were many, Andy simply enjoyed the challenge, or fail, crash and burn into the ground, which then she would run with the tail between her legs like a coward.

She looked at Adele and shook her head. “I had crushes like most of us had, but, no deep connection, no curiosity. My heart does beat for Ibiza, and other types of fun, but never someone else.” Andy was too independent, while she enjoyed her little fun, it had to be with no strings attached, she wouldn’t be caught dead being dependent on someone else, the moment feelings happened she knew it was time to move along and find someone else to have her fun with. She simply didn’t do feelings.

Adele’s next question seemed off and strange, and Andy still didn’t know that many people around town, or people that she could actively have fun with. “I don’t know that many people yet, but it depends, are you’re into men, women, both? Do you care if they are married or not? Do you mind if they are younger than you? It really depends on your preferences.” Andy seriously didn’t know how to answer to that, she knew there were a couple of students that once they turned eighteen they would most likely be able to give someone a good time, assuming they knew how to use it.

“In my opinion, flirt, see who replies back, then just test the merchandise, if you like how it moves and how it makes you move, that would be the one I’d pick but in general, go for the ladies, the make you move in a good way.” Andy said winking at Adele.

Adele liked to believe she could be so casual. Liked the cool and distant persona that came with churning through lovers, tossing them away as they began to bore her. She liked to believe she could do it, that she didn't get attached, and was truly as aloof and untouchable as she pretended. The truth was so far from that, that Andrea's dismissive attitude toward the whole business made her sick with jealousy. Imagine never having that hook wrenched in your heart, imagine not becoming catastrophically attached to anything or anyone that paid her the slightest attention. And yet she had a reputation to uphold here, too, and to admit how awfully dependent she had always been would destroy that.

It hadn't always been about love, though. Sometimes it had just been survival. Making her way in an unfamiliar world after Ameliana had left, sometimes the only way to find stable food and shelter was to attach yourself to someone who already had that. Stay until it went bad, and then find the next one. Some she liked, most she didn't. All of them she needed. 

"I try not to go for the married ones," she shrugged. "Too much angst. Younger is fine. My default is men, but I'm open to suggestions." 

Over the course of her life, it had been men who were the most willing and well-positioned to provide for her in the ways she had needed. Women had always wanted to mother her, and Adele wasn't about that life. It was always too nice and understanding and she had felt smothered by it. Women had a habit of using their brains too much, too, seeing through her small deceptions and getting to the heart of problems she didn't want to address, rather than accepting her word at the flash of a bit of skin. It had been a long time since any of that, though. Adele hadn't had to beg her way to shelter for a few decades now. 

"Not sure I'd even remember how to move, at this point," she grumbled softly. "Dave's probably laughing his guts up over that."

Perhaps the problem with Andy wasn’t her inability to form a connection, as someone who travelled a lot as a child and teen, when she found herself in a new place, she had to simply avoid the painful departures, it was best to stay away, avoid feelings, which in the end avoided with people getting hurt. Andy didn’t like to be dependent either, and when feelings were involved there was a higher chance to be dependent, feelings just weren’t her thing.

“I’d argue that some are in an open relationship, but can still be complicated, especially if you get to meet their spouse.”  Andy wasn’t going to go too much into details without Adele asking, but it was an amusing story. She looked at Adele with a playful smile, she didn’t think Adele would be open to suggestions, but now that she does it can be an entirely different thing. “Younger men are willing and eager to please, it means they can be taught about all the right places. Older men are tricky…” Andy personally didn’t care with whoever she had her fun, as long as the person was willing it was irrelevant to her their marital status, age and gender. “Some do know and give you the best time, most think they know and crash and burn. Those last are amusing to poke fun at.” Too old makes her feel like she’s dating a father, which are usually those she avoids the most.

“Women are in my honest opinion those you can absolutely give you the best time. And if you want to search start closer to home, neighbourhood, here at school.” She leaned over the table and stared at the older woman for a little while. “If a person is up for some fun with no strings then you have nothing to worry, if they get too attached and clingy just make a popsicle out of them.” Andy went back to her original position and took a gulp of her drink while she continued to watch Adele.

Andy chuckled at Adele’s comment. “You don’t forget, you might be a bit rusty but once you pick it up? I’m sure you’ll remember exactly how to move.” Adele was a beautiful woman, even if she didn’t remember how to move, there were plenty of people there willing to remind her, Andy herself wouldn’t mind. Was it bad that Andy was thinking like that? Probably. “You’re a beautiful woman, I’m sure some people will gladly try help you remember how to move, if they can obviously.”

"It's almost always more effort than it's worth," Adele mused on the subject of married people. Not that she hadn't been there, done that---several times, but it was never as fun as it sounded. The sneaking around was only amusing for a short while, and the constant whining about the person they married was insufferable. Adele also didn't share very well, which made endeavours with those already off the market a bit tricky. She listened with some amusement as Andrea rattled through the pros and cons of different types, before returning to her point about women. Adele had just never experienced this, and she found the point fascinating. Not that she had tried especially hard when it came to women, and maybe she only ever got what she was giving. 

"Generally, I try not to shit where I sleep," she said, not moving back as Andrea leaned in toward her. The flickering darkness, the alcohol, the nicotine taste in her mouth and the soft and subtle movements of Andrea's lips all wove together to create a most intoxicating spell. Fun, without the chance of anything beyond that, was a very attractive prospect at the moment. For a moment, it even sounded as if Andrea was offering herself to this task, a thought that Adele tried to throw out as Andrea leaned back to where she had been before. The seed was planted though. Adele wasn't exactly in a mind to be picky, either, and the younger woman was far from the worst option she had considered. Up until that moment, the younger professor hadn't even been on her radar, though, and now Adele couldn't help but be curious. 

"I did go hunting, but got interrupted," Adele sighed. "Even in a muggle bar, Minister for Magic Blair still intimidates people. All of them poor shy things just melted away, it was a real shame." And she hadn't tried again since. Not even tonight, when she had been gifted the freedom to wander away from town, she had ended up here. Like a good girl. Albeit, a girl smoking and drinking in the staffroom. "Though I suppose if they didn't have the strength to stick around and compete, they were unlikely to be much of anything anyway. I can't abide weakness."

It mostly depended, perhaps Andy was just lucky when it came to married people. There isn’t seemed to be too much stress, and most were meaningless flings, nothing to worry about, might have been why she didn’t think about the effort. The only person Andy was currently seeing, in a more fun with no strings attached situation was married, and the sneaking around was fun, exciting and it didn’t always happen, as far as people knew they were just two friends hanging out, having fun, it was all they were required to know.

It was a good point, but as long as two adults could separate things there shouldn’t be a problem, but humans were not predictable, most were petty, and couldn’t separate the things, not to mention there was this thing where sometimes people got too attached to others. Andy wasn’t the best person, but she could at least separate things. It was a shame that Adele thought that way, Andy would have to keep herself entertained in different ways that didn’t involve some company considering her current companion was a bit busy with other endeavours.

“The important thing is to not give up, sure some people aren’t interested, but it’s not like they are the only people in the world.” Andy took a deep breath, she had been rejected, she had rejected more times than she could count, but it never stopped her for finding someone willing. However, she couldn’t understand what Adele was saying, did the Ministry of Magic would prevent Adele from having her fun? It was too complicated for her, she should learn not to butt into other people’s businesses.

“I’m sure out there there’s someone who won’t be intimidated by anyone.” Andy still didn’t understand but it wasn’t something she would want to stick her nose into, she didn’t want any troubles, or at least things that could be blown her way.

"Oh, they were interested," Adele shook her head. "Until Stuart Blair showed up. And then they just vanished..."

It really was for the best, she decided. If that was all it took to make them run, they wouldn't have survived her. Just because she frequently developed feelings didn't mean that Adele also destroy people. Given the chance, she would run rampant over a weaker soul before becoming ultimately bored with it and running away. She was cat-like in that respect. To keep her interested, you had to keep moving the target. Adele needed someone who would challenge her, not give her everything she wanted, she needed someone she could fight and who would stand their ground against her. It was one of the things that had drawn her to Thomas to begin with, his ruthlessness. Look how that had turned out. 

"He's the father of two of my daughters. Worries I'm going to go off the rails over this whole grief business," she took a long drink. Adele should have been off the rails, that was the thing. She just couldn't seem to knock the cart far enough over that she crashed and burned in the way that made sense. Maybe then the world would put itself rightway up again. "Kids deserve better than that, so. All I've got is whatever bad decisions don't hurt them." Her smile was twisted, bitter. The kids were everything, but they were also a weight. Sometimes grounding, sometimes strangling.

The tips of her fingers tingled, warm in spite of the general chill in the air. That pleasant state of inebriation before everything was lost, where everything was free and the world was almost fuzzy. It was taking longer and longer to get back here the more she indulged, though not as long as it used to. Everything started to feel that little more intense, she could feel the gentle prickle of her arm hairs rising and falling as her body adjusted for hot and cold. Delightful.

"Hard enough finding someone not intimidated by me," Adele added with a slight laugh. "And... not much in this town I haven't sampled already, if we're being honest. I can make recommendations, if you like."

That sort of respect…or fear wasn’t easy to accomplish. Andy has been in Australia to know enough about the Ministry and all those bureaucrats, they talked but didn’t do much, but apparently this one was different, still not someone she’d worry about. She continued to listen to Adele, she knew Adele had a daughter, but didn’t know she had two daughters, not that she cared, but it was still interesting. Andy put out her cigarette and took a gulp at her drink. Whoever wanted or had kids had to do what was best for them, it was no longer about the adults but about the children, her parents did whatever they wanted, which it wasn’t bad, she developed a lot of skills, but being a team player wasn’t one of them.

“Well, my parents moved a lot when I was younger, I’ve been to three different continents before I graduated.” She looked at Adele, it was clear that the woman was doing what she thought it was best. “I did learn a lot of things, met a lot of people but moving around constantly was a struggle, never had too many friends.” Andy decided to tell Adele what happened to her, she didn’t turn out badly, just extremely cold and unable to get too attached to people, but otherwise Andy was exceptional in many things.

Andy finished her drink and looked at Adele with an interested expression. “I can’t blame them to be honest.” Adele was pretty intimidating, Andy could now see why, she even had slight chills sent down her spine the way Adele said certain things. The most interesting thing was Adele even offering to give Andy some recommendations. “I’ll gladly take any recommendation you might give.”