Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
December, 2019 :: Summer

My Kingdom For An Umbrella

Flinders ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Photographer's Assistant, Knitter, Paper Cutter✩ Kirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

At last, there had been a break in the weather that afternoon. It was the opening MJ had been looking for - she had gotten home after school and grocery shopping, having brought Justice along, and she had been waiting for less rain to cover the little town ever since as she needed to walk their dear Samoyed before the sun set. As soon as the final droplets hit the ground, the blonde was already out the door for that particular endeavor, Steve in tow held safely by its collar.

She did the normal trek that they used to do - go to Footy Park a few neighborhoods over, let the dog run around a bit and do what it had to do, then come home. As she crossed Koonyah again, however, she walked by her father's workplace: the cemetery. Feeling an all too common calling for it, she decided to go in against her better judgement to visit her mother.

This detour proved fatal to her intentions of a water-free walk. As she was finally coming back home, it started pouring again; not having brought an umbrella along since she never intended to stay out for so long in the first place, MJ quickly shuffled over to the first location she could see that would provide some cover, which happened to be a nearby bus stop. She was still a few blocks away from home, and at that point, stranded.

She couldn't call for her father, as he was asleep; and as far as she knew, Aspen was training. All she could do was sit on the surprisingly dry bench of the stop and try to distract Steve with petting and scratching at his fur, as he seemed all too eager to race back onto the street, not being half as concerned over the rain as she was. If only she had brought along that umbrella...

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Guitarist/Vocalist - Local School Hero!✩ Kaitore
20 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ HE/HIM

Koonyah, it wasn't a place he tended to visit on a casual basis. It had been a generally rough neighborhood, the kind of place that someone kept their head down and their eyes ahead. He didn't even have his guitar with him, was just how cautious he'd been about being around the area. However, it'd been where the Cemetery had been and every so often he needed to tend to his Adoptive Father's grave. Proper respect and accolades offered to a man who took on a burden that wasn't his to do and chose to regardless. A small aged note in hand, surrounded by a thick magically enchanted glass designed to withstand the typical everyday shift of the elements. Written on it had been a single name, 'Alexander' - the hand-writing neat and almost regal in penmanship. 

His other hand had been full as well, carrying a durable storm umbrella with quite an extended covering to it. Water pattered against the surface of the fabric panel, echoing within his ears. While he didn't really need to go through this extent to travel, there'd just been something about the day that called for him to take in the surroundings a bit. Not so much the Neighborhood itself but rather the weather and the coolness that offered against the skin of his hands and face. 

Luckily, it seemed like a good instinct and choice as he started to come upon a nearby bus stop. At first uncertain on who it had been and had been about to stick with his method of 'Don't look, keep eyes forward'. Not until he caught a glimpse of the young Flinder's features which caused him to stop and double take for a moment. "MJ? Hey there, by the looks of it you seem a bit stranded." A gentle smile curving across his face as he glanced down towards Steve, kneeling down and brushing a dry hand across the surface of his fur. 

"Are you alright out here? Going anywhere specific or something? I can always walk you there." He wasn't in a rush to head towards the Graveyard for his own person reflection. And it wasn't as if he actually had much to worry about in general if trouble had ran him a foul while alone. Granted, not something he would ever tell Adele - the woman worried like a Den Mother about him.

Flinders ☆ Fifth Year ☆ Photographer's Assistant, Knitter, Paper Cutter✩ Kirupachi

The blonde wasn't so foolish as to let her guard down in her neighborhood, knowing of its dangers a bit too intimately for her liking, and thus she didn't seem too surprised or frightened when her own nickname reached her ears out of apparently nowhere. MJ looked up from her dog's face so to search for the source of the familiar voice, and she spotted Alexander approaching, kneeling and greeting Steve. The Samoyed seemed quite happy about the treatment, tail wagging with the long brush through its fur.

"I suppose you could say that..." The idea of waiting it out under a bus stop made her feel quite uneasy - a criminal with little care of getting himself drenched in rainwater would easily have their way at that point, as the streets were mostly deserted and she was defenseless without her knife and wand. If anything, it felt like a blessing that Alexander of all people had walked by and greeted her.

"I'm okay. I was headed home, and... Well, I really don't want to get Steve wet. I don't think he cares, though." A small, gentle smile filled her lips as the dog kept on occasionally struggling to step out of the cover the roof of the bus stop provided. "It's a few blocks down the road. It's okay though, you look like you were headed the opposite way." The last thing she wanted was to be a burden to the man, despite the situation.

A childish grin curved along his features from the eagerness that Steve seemed to show about the attention. It didn't seem as if the water would deter his fun in the slightest. After sometime offering some praise to the animal, he stood up with a loosening stretch as if his muscles needed the release of tension. Tucking the hand designed plaque deeply under his arm. Adjusting the umbrella he wielded slightly at least to be able to compensate for the extra bodies that would most likely need to occupy it. 

"Well, I can't really leave you stranded then. Don't know when the next bus will show up . . ." He hadn't taken the bus in the last few months, the habit of checking the schedules for times had long passed. Given that certain types enjoyed to prowl the area as well meant that a young girl could be considered 'vulnerable' in such incliment weather. He knew he'd been no ace duelist by any individuals standards but at the very least a few tricks and knowing his own personal situation made him a far better choice of assistance in his mind. 

Alex smirked which led to a softened laughter. "Yea, I don't think he does either. Probably a water polo expert compared to the both of us in this situation." He was positive the umbrella wouldn't be able to fit the three of them comfortably. Glancing around for a moment, almost as if he were planning some major act of defiance before touching just the lower part of his umbrella with the tip of his finger enacting a spell to cause it to enlarge rapidly, required a bit of an extra grip from him but at least it could offer a better covering. "Me? Oh you don't need to worry about that at all. I would feel far better knowing you weren't just left here. I'm also in no real rush, honestly."

At the very least he could've always translocated himself to where he needed to go after seeing MJ to her way back home. He then winked easily towards her "We also can't let the rain think this is a battle it can win." How could he face his Adoptive Father's grave if he just passed the young teen by anyways? It went against the values of concern for another that had been developed within him. 

"Bus? I'm not..." MJ's words died in her throat as she mildly shook her head; nevertheless, it was obvious that she meant she wasn't waiting for one. The stop merely served as cover to shield herself and her canine companion from the rain. It was somewhat embarrassing that she was caught in such a predicament, but at least it had been someone she knew rather than a person whom would have made fun of her. It would have been uncomfortable for her, and Steve would certainly not have taken his owner's distress too well.

The blonde watched as Alexander stretched out the length of the umbrella with magic for just a moment before reflexes kicked in - they were in the middle of the street. Perhaps at that moment it was a blessing that it was raining, as she didn't spot anyone outside to see it; unless people were peeking out of windows during that Winter day, it was unlikely for Alexander to have impressed any Muggles with his resourcefulness and warrant a letter from the Ministry.

"Well, if you don't mind..." Despite her words, MJ still felt quite unsure. She thought she was imposing, even if she hadn't asked for anything herself; nevertheless, she realized that the sooner they got to her own destination, the sooner the Spencer could double back to go to his. Rising to her feet as well, the girl wrapped the leash around her own wrist a few times so to shorten it. The last thing she needed was for Steve to step out of the cover as they walked just because he could.

"This way." She motioned, the little jokes thrown her way causing a small smile. For as uncomfortable as she was with the whole situation, she was in good company and that helped her calm down slightly.

"I meant to probably get you on one. Usually a good protection from the rain by being in transit." Alexander smiled brightly. He couldn't entirely say it had been 'safer' but it was certainly one of the quicker routes of such an mishap of a situation. He held no issue with walking either even if he did prefer a way to offer the young girl a better travel. At least there wouldn't be any worry of the cascading water above from drenching any of them far too much as the last thing he thought either of them needed had been the 'drowned rat or cat' style of look that often happened. 

He'd very little to worry about when it came to the use of his particular brand of magic - one not traced or even known by the Ministry's department that regulated such uses. His primary worry had been making sure that he hadn't put an unnecessary amount to use that most of it would be lost and expended. For the time being it had been a dance of life and death and constantly with death having the higher advantage until his situation had been changed and altered. It was something that had to be kept as a tightened secret but offering a bit of assistance for someone made the personal risk of his health worth it. 

"I never mind. It wouldn't sit well with me at all just leaving you here." She'd still been a member of the Club that they mutual attended. It also simply wasn't in him to let someone in some form of need stay in need if he could help in some manner. Certainly not someone that had obviously could be considered an extremely good person by his book. He waited for her to get settled with wrapping the leash around her hand to limit the reach of the companion she'd been walking with; nestling the umbrella above the three of them while walking at a tempo that kept matched with hers while letting her lead the way. 

After all, he had no idea where they were going specifically. 

"So, what were you up to that brought you this way? If you don't mind me asking, of course." Alexander understood everyone had been entitled to their own business and secrets. It'd been a hope he hadn't been stepping on any extremely personal landmines with that particular question. 

MJ could only shake her head at Alexander's suggestion, although not having the heart of rejecting it verbally. Her house was just a couple blocks away - that bus stop was actually the closest one to her house. Which was quite the fortunate thing in itself, as it it indicated they didn't have much of a path to go through prior to reaching her destination.

At a leisure pace, she led the way down the slippery path in the opposite way Alexander had been heading towards. With Steve's leash strongly secured, she had the Samoyed accompany the pair in between them so to avoid his unfortunate tendency of rushing to get soaked in any which way he could. Nevertheless, the dog seemed quite happy with his current situation, strolling along with the students eagerly.

"That's alright." She reassured the older teenager with a nod. "I went out to walk Steve, though I didn't expect to be out for so long. On the way back I swung by the cemetery... I suppose I lost track of time there." MJ admitted with a sense of shame in her words - her family's life was so chaotic that everything she did was kept on a tight schedule so everyone would help everyone else. She was sure she'd be paying for that mistake sooner or later, even if they would most likely forgive her on the spot for the oversight.

"What about you? What brings you to these parts?" She didn't know if the man lived there or not, but she had never ran into him there before - it sparked her curiosity, and given that he had already asked her the same, it was only fair to repay in kind.

There had been a fair distance kept even with the umbrella hung over the three of them. After all, the Samoyed needed its own space to trot along with every bit of personality that it held. Which did cause Alex to smirk in amusement at the way he seemed to uphold himself. So much energy compared to the usually demure MJ. His hand curled tightly around the handle to the umbrella to keep it sturdy and steady in case errant winds decided they wanted to try and blow them down like the first little pigs home. 

"Nothing wrong with spending a bit more time than intended. Gives a bit of time for reflection and a lot of times is more needed than we expected it to be." How many times had he ended up staying out far later than he expected? A somewhat sad smile crossed his feature as the memories of his late adoptive Father's worried expression and response when he -did- finally get back home. "Just remember a heartfelt apology for being late. But don't promise it won't happen again, at least if you found it pretty good for the soul." His voice eased out in the form of offering a soothing comfort towards the inflection of shame that seemed to linger in her words. There had been no claim he could make on her life that everything would fall into place but he did believe each person needed to do certain things for their own health in many ways. 

"Ahehehe. . . Fair is fair, right?" Viole eyes turned towards her with a massive grin on his face. "I was actually heading out towards the cemetery myself." As the words flowed from his lips he pulled the transluscent plaque from under his arm that revealed a strip of paper that had been quite aged yet the only thing written on its surface still legible, 'Alexander'. "Planned to put this by the gravesite of my Adoptive father. Apparently this was what had been left with me when I was left on his door steps. Wanted to place a kind of reminder that I did manage to find the person who left me there." He found much, a lot of it he couldn't even tell the man before his demise. Only on top of the fact there had still been so much more that needed to be experienced that would never be. 

"Guess I'm too much of the sentimental sort."

MJ's head nodded once in agreement as Alexander spoke - past the obvious inconvenience that was having to rush every chore afterwards, there was nothing wrong in letting oneself get lost in the emotion involved in visiting the grave of a loved one, as well as the thoughts in faux communication with their would be spirit presiding over the tombstones. While it was a rather grim way of spending time, grieving was a healthy way of dealing with one's emotions; even if, in MJ's case, she had been doing so for as long as she could remember.

"I always do." She replied, indicating it wasn't the first time. Or the second, or the third. It certainly wouldn't be the last, the blonde concluded as they walked down the street, given the comfort the cemetery had always provided for her - not only did her mother reside in it, and her father was an employee for it, but most of her friends populated its general area. For her, despite how morbid it sounded, it was like a second home.

Her gaze followed the paper Alexander retrieved as he spoke with his name engraved upon it. It didn't feel like it was her place to ask him about it, but one thing stood out to her as strange - he was planning to leaving it out in that weather? Unless the paper was charmed to be durable (which, by its outward appearance, it likely wasn't), it felt like a setup to failure as it would likely get soggy, drenched and pasty with the pouring rain.

"Too much? I don't think so." She shook her head. "Though, are you sure you want to do that today?" Her gaze shifted from him to the water droplets dripping out of the edge of the umbrella directly in front of them as they went on their way, her face overtaken by skepticism. "Unless it's an important date, that is..."

The wounds of the lost weren't things that were stitched together so easily in many people. Even those that seemed to move on kept it within themselves, while not fresh the phantom wound of the feeling would always remain, always seemed to rear its ugly-head when least expected. It hadn't been that long ago for himself, encroaching on nearly a year since the death of his Guardian. The exacerbated wound that his mother had inflicted on the same eve in her cold handed 'attempt to help' in a way that only seemed to drive a sense of guilt in the young man, even now, even when things seemed to be far more settled in his life involving his relatives. 

"Oh, I'm talking to the choir here!" Alexander chuckled. A brightened smile increasing on his features as the dreariness of the damp day seemed to try its best to offset the optimistic hue of his personality. "Most times I do it I tend to get a very scowling glare from the wife and definitely from my Sister. Over protective types and all that." Not that he could blame them, not when they'd faced far more loss than necessary. And with him often being but a thread of a leg pressed into the grave, so to speak, it heightened that protective streak by margins in them. 

Alex's head tilted to the side quizzically towards the young girl's question. "What would be wrong about doing it today?" His fingers readjusted along the glass-styled plaque that surrounded the tattered paper. The cooling atmosphere of the rain causing the outside of it to build with a chilled condensation, not something that had been an issue to is touch but it still drummed up a sense of annoyance to his nerves. The likely scenario of someone trying to dispel and break the glass had been unlikely in his mind, not without causing a far more explosive reaction due to the type of magic that bound it all together. "It should be pretty fine, I think."

A wide, if shy, smile outstretched MJ's lips as the conversation continued in good humor. The dichotomy between their idle chatter and all that surrounded them was quite strange: the back and forth was quite pleasant and humorous despite the mildly morbid topic they had settled on, while the rain poured all around them like cats and dogs, when one had come from the cemetery and the other was headed to it. With the routine she was used to for the sake of keeping her family's gears up and running smoothly, such a random encounter served to put her in higher spirits than usual despite it being a little while from over.

"I know the feeling. As far as the sister part is concerned, that is." A very light chuckle escaped MJ as they continued on their way. Aspen was the overprotective sort through and through, and checked up on her almost obsessively, at least from the younger girl's point of view - she could make the most inane of posts on QuillBook, and even then if there was some way it could be interpreted negatively she'd be interrogated to the fullest extent. Let alone reaching the home later than expected. Aspen's choice of significant other didn't help much in that regard as the girl seemed to display the exact same tendencies, even if on a lesser scale.

"I guess I'm just worried about the weather. It's an odd thing to do when it's raining so badly... But I suppose you have some sort of protection on that?" It was the logical conclusion, since the Spencer didn't seem the least bit worried. Nevertheless, after the rain came the cleaning, and she'd hoped his item wasn't accidentally caught in that kerfuffle - perhaps she should warn her father about it in advance.

Being within the center of a morbid conversation or situation felt almost like 'home' for the young man. An odd way to consider such a thing in his mind yet experiences and what one had dealt with through life shaped in certain ways. Knowing when to try and smile, to offer a bit of humor in an uncertain or jarring situation or atmosphere felt like a necessary trait to have in his mind. To the point that even the pouring and dreary day held no power in halting how he allowed for his personality to shine through when he wanted or even when others may have needed it. A sense of comfort, maybe even emotional or mental safety that could be offered from it. 

"It's nutty, isn't it? A tough personality, that 'I can take on the world if I need to' appeal in who they are. But put the right person around them they're worrying like a mother hen." The thought of his own sister worrying about him cracked a smile on his face, for the longest time it'd always felt only one individual in his life ever seemed to care. To be in a position where that wasn't the case, where he'd been surrounded in a way that he never would've expected, it felt liberating and supportive. "Always trying to shield from the 'mean world', I don't think my Sister realizes I see more than she thinks I do. Or. . . At the very least I think she's -hoping- that I don't." Granted, his own sister had him marked by a margin in age, experiencing the seedy sides of the world in his ways his mind often tried to avoid ever thinking it had ever been possible to find her way into. 

"Oh!" Her words made sense to him now as well as the concern. His arm lifting up to hand her what he'd been holding, the glass that had been woven and encasing around the paper tightly as if it were sealing it inside. "Yeap, woven 'special' glass. Enhanced to withstand some of the far more basic elements that pass through, you know, potential heavy winds - the ever so lovely torrent of rain." Alexander even accounted for snow, as extremely rare as that would be one couldn't be too careful when it came to knowing what the Magical world could produce. "I was thinking of using a unique spell to have it click right onto the lower edge of the tombstone."

His head tilted to the side for a moment in thought. "Though I should warn the staff at the grounds. Er. . . If they're magical sorts anyways." He hadn't been aware of MJ's own personal connection at the Graveyard. "Don't know if they use magic as a means to keep the grounds clean."

A curt nod accompanied Alexander's elaboration of sibling overprotection. She knew exactly where he was coming from. In a way she could understand why they took on such a role, and even relate to it. They wanted to protect those they loved even if they didn't need it, just to be able to breathe easy via ensuring with their own hands that they were fine. It was stifling at times, quite a bit, but MJ had noticed she occasionally had such tendencies regarding Justice. When it came to her little brother, it was hard not to hold him tight as means of protecting him, moreso with what had happened with the boy's twin; if anything, that momentary conscious reflection of the fact could make it so she could hold herself back from falling into the same pitfalls in the future.

The Spencer then proceeded to show her the encasing of the paper proper, how resistant it was - it was likely for the best. Even without the cemetery's employees potentially getting rid of it (as well as hooligans messing with it and taking it from its resting place), the weather was still a very volatile enemy that could have made quick work of the paper. It seemed that Alexander had all his bases covered, which was certainly relieving to hear and verify.

"Don't worry about it." Was her father awake at that hour? If he wasn't, he was likely about to be. He was always awake by dinner time, after all, and his shift at the graveyard wouldn't take long to start. "I can tell my dad about it... He's the keeper in the night shift. I'm sure he'll keep it safe if I ask him to." Perks of being the man's daughter, she supposed, as the bias would likely keep the casing untouched unless a hoodlum sneaked past Maxwell.

More times than he could count that it felt as if he were in a cage or at the very least as if Adele had been handling him with bubble gloves. Almost as a means to try and protect something that she claimed as 'hers to guard'. Not that he minded too much, it did make him wonder how ready the woman had been to the realization that he had also far outgrown that form of treatment or to accept that his current life held so many different paths that he'd been following that it would lead him away often. Something that he didn't expect to be something entertained by her until his situation had been fixed, mended to the point where death wouldn't be at his own hand. 

If the weather and the following potential environmental hiccups had been a concern for her then she needed to be given a reasonable solution to ease it. Luckily enough, it had been similar concerns for himself. Careless preparations had never been his style, everything required a methodical process and that included considering the bulk of the potential trials that could effect what he planned to do. A single piece of paper couldn't weather the various chaotic rages of the seasons, not without some strong protection. Even then it would've destroyed the purpose of being able to view what was being protected without a few extra contingency designs for the glass casing. 

"Oh?!" It was fortuitous or perhaps one of the many tinges and turns of 'fate'. The thought of the threads had always been one of the many headaches he had been glad to be rid of. "Okay, then this is -very- important! Code Orange level importance, top of the top priorities!" His eyes glanced back and forth as if he were about to unveil a big secret, a massive conspiracy plan that only a few needed to be privy towards. "He can't use any form of magic directly against it." He couldn't predict accurately what would occur if it did, explosion? The glass shattering instantly?  The way Sorceraic and Wizard magic interacted had been as unpredictable as it had been volatile. 

"Pretty delicate weaving went into the case." It had been a vague truth, unable to really break the news on why certain influences of magic needed to be avoided. 

Had Alexander not heard of MJ's reputation? For a moment, she felt like she had colored their interactions with a dark tint from that point onward - the treatment she was subjected to would make more sense in his eyes after knowing of her father's occupation, and the ghost rumors running rampant around school (most of which true, to be fair) would put things into perspective; but the joking tone with which he got back to her made her smile wide instead, pushing those negative thoughts away.

"He's a Muggle, I don't think he'd be able to regardless." She retorted, finding some humor within herself as well. A chuckle escaped as she spoke - if only other people could have that light a mood on a daily basis, it would make life far more tolerable at times. "But it should be fine. He's been there for many years, his coworkers ought to listen to him..."

Hopefully. "Though I'd still recommend getting some sort of coverage against your run of the mill robber. It's not uncommon for people to leave goods by the tombstones in the cemetery, and so it's almost a daily occurrence when someone tries to jump the fence at night to have a go at all the items... A few times, they actually get through. Better safe than sorry, since the employees can't cover the whole place at all times." Even with ghosts to warn the more magic-sensitive individuals, it still took running up to perpetrators to catch them in the act; by then, they could very well be long gone with their loot in tow.

Over the recent months Alex had heard outlandish things about many people, some straight from the 'Horses mouth'. Even still, it hadn't been in his capacity to judge someone's situation as a reason to demean them or even solely judge them in the typical gossips that swept through the school. Being a victim of it in his old school, knowing that many of his family members suffered similar situations at Tallygarunga from Students and maybe even staff alike in the hushed tones of the halls. It just seemed nonsensical to him, making such a leap of poor judgement about a person.

"Hey, I hear Muggle's have magic of their own. These square boxes that flicker with a picture from their mechanical and electronic wands." A goofy smile stretched on his lips. He knew exactly what a television had been, the method on how they worked. After all, Media had been an important part of his life and understanding it meant he could widen his audience numbers. "Coworkers, they always like to think they know more than the person who dedicated more than enough time to the craft! I respect that kind of hard work." The way she spoke about her Father, it almost reminded him of the way he talked about Bethianna to others. Even when many of those that did know the woman couldn't agree on his own view and stance of her. 

"That's a pretty good point." Vandalism had been only mildly considered on his part, he'd originally thought robbers and the such wouldn't bother with what he held. After all, what would someone want with glass and the worn paper that it encompassed? A different perspective from someone colored his mind in a different sight on the original consensus. Offering a resounding nod as if to show he heard the advice MJ put up for him to take. "Could always try to have it embedded directly into the tombstone. It'd be a way to keep it mounted and safer from people trying to just pry it off." If he could think of a decent enough method most conventional instruments used for such would hopefully fail in their endeavors. "But I'm also always opened for suggestions! I mean, you know the places troubles pretty well and a good idea of the chances. Probably even seen things that worked for some that deterred those types."

Another quip, another smile. Even if Alexander meant it in jest, MJ was of the opinion Muggles could truly be magical due to pure, raw ingenuity. Wizards tended to rely far too much on magic to get everything done. As far as the blonde went, however, her only role model growing up had been a Muggle. She had learned the hard way how to fend for herself in a variety of fields (and gone as far as make a hobby out of it) and enjoyed figuring out how things worked, the properties of various materials, and in what unorthodox ways they could be used. In that sense, she knew that if a Muggle put their mind to a task, they could get it done - even if magic stood in their way, like with that casing Alexander had protected the paper with.

"Embedded?" That was an interesting thing to envision. It would certainly baffle some caretakers, but she was fairly positive her father could cover for the little stunt. "If you do it just right, they won't be able to take it off without destroying the tombstone itself... Though, at that point, I'm fairly sure all the noise would've alerted someone."

As they came to a street corner, Steve barked and halted his steps, the sign of a properly trained Samoyed - and what a feat that had been. Seeing no cars coming in either direction, MJ pulled lightly on the leash to signal Steve to keep walking as she continued. "You could also put some sort of Disillusionment Charm on it? It might not do much for any would-be Wizard robbers, but Muggles won't have a clue it's even there."

MJ held a nice smile, in his opinion. Something that seemed an almost natural look on the young blonde's face yet not an expression he'd seen given form on her face often. Perhaps it'd been due to shyness or even the potential presence of some tragedy that made it difficult for it to show around most people? It'd been a road of thinking that he had to place to the side for the time being, the reason didn't entirely matter as much as the comforting understanding that it hadn't been something that she could no longer do in the brief and calm moments that life could offer at times. 

"It's practically a backup system in defense then! Though I'd also be highly concerned that someone would not only be disrespectful enough to destroy a tome stone but also abhorrent enough to even give birth to that kind of idea." There were a few things he could understand even if they bordered the line of being entirely unacceptable in the light of others. Yet, when it came to the peace of the dead there'd simply been a different set of rules that he held himself by and that had been to respect the effort of the tears and wounds that had been left behind by the individual. 

Alex had to admit, he'd been impressed by the trained halt that simultaneously worked with Steve's barking. "That's pretty cool that he's extremely aware, almost like a service dog." An eyebrow quirked up wards, that had been an idea as well. He wasn't sure how to weave that form of charm with his own magic but it would also be something to learn anyways given the usefulness of the magical theory of it. "Keeping the Muggles away from it would be the far more important bit. I also figure if a Wizard's going to do it they'll find a way to do it." He found himself recounting various bits of history where a Wizard had somehow managed to slip and get something that had never been intended for their hands simply for tenacity and ingenuity. 

He followed close by MJ, hand adjusted along the shaft and handle of the umbrella to hunker down its panels just a bit more to avoid direct wind being taken under it. "So, is it somewhat a family business? Ground's Keeping I mean. I know for some people, it's been such a big part of their families history members just kind of natural gravitate towards it."

The pair kept walking as they reached the other side of the road with Steve insisting to be their guide through the pouring rain. They were just a couple blocks away at that point from the Clarke household, but given their slow walking pace due to the inconvenient weather, MJ suspected the little trip would feel like they had just walked the full length of Tallygarunga Road by the end of it. The Flinders felt somewhat bad about Alex accompanying her despite him saying otherwise as imagining him doubling back afterwards and then walking all the way to the graveyard mid Winter wasn't that pleasant a thought to have.

"Sort of... My sister is expected to go into the Australian Quidditch League, so I guess that responsibility will fall on me." She wondered if her father already had that in mind. Aspen following in their father's footsteps was completely out of the question at that point, and it didn't feel right to push Justice in that very same direction given what had happened to his twin sister. Unfortunately, that left MJ. Something in her hoped that wasn't the case, though. For as indecisive as she was about what she wanted to follow for a career, being forced down a path wasn't something she was very keen on even if she already spent a good portion of her free time in the graveyard and knew it like the palm of her hand. "Someone has to do it."

She shrugged at her own words, the good humor having dissipated with the subject matter. It was her own way of rationalizing it was probably for the best. "Though, speaking of Wizards. Maybe you should get in touch with a curse-breaker?" She tried, knowing a few lived in the area but being unable to put any names to them. "If they know how to break them, they know how to make them. They may be able to do something to keep that from being stolen and give you the trick to get past that curse." It felt somewhat morbid to curse a graveyard object but better safe than sorry, she figured.

The walk had been a good justice for him, getting the chance to put his body physically through the paces had been a refreshing change of pace in his life. Before, such a walk would've had him stopping far more often than he liked, even to the point of making up excuses on why he had to slow down for a brief moment. What made it all a great experience had been the feeling that he no longer needed to cough up a wave of blood from his mouth, that he could actually exercise and treat his body with the blood pumping and temporarily sore throbbings that occurred after pushing the limb's limits at times. 

"Your sister. . . Right, right, that's Aspen, right? I haven't had the chance to really meet her personally but it sounds like she's  bound for pretty good things too." His 'too' referring to his belief that, MJ held similar chances in whatever could catch her attention that could develop that sort of dedication and focus. "Well, hey, how about this? If you ever need help there or if you find that you see something that has your interest that you want to go for? Feel free to contact me. If I can't do it I can definitely always find someone that can help out. Responsibilities and obligations are important but so is a persons dreams." It'd been the same stance he took towards Améa in that regard. While it'd been mildly successful with his far older niece, he'd hoped it'd be somewhat of an assistance to MJ as well. 

Alexander couldn't deny that it'd been a good idea and a sound argument at that, to have someone place an additional 'lock' in the form of a curse that could bite back at those that would even think to violate such an important place. His major concern still hung in the balance, that it could cause an unexpected effect - he felt the way a curse struck his Sorceraic blood and the memory of it caused a physical shiver that radiated in a temporarly pain from it. "Ugh. . ." Shaking his head lightly, lips curling into a smile to push away the memory. "Oh, no. . . That's fine! I mean, if it happens then I can just consider it my luck, right? I don't want to put someone out for something like that.

A poor excuse, he knew it'd been a poor excuse. It'd been difficult to be unable to explain what he meant exactly but it did segue for him to be able to try and change the subject, whether it'd be successful or not he wasn't sure. "So, hey! I was wondering, would you like to get into assisting in a bit of the recording business? You don't have to sing or play if you don't want to! But I think you might have a unique ear that can be pretty invaluable."

MJ's spirits seemed to be lifted up at the mere mention of her older sister. A nod followed Alexander's question as she beamed with pride, completely unable to help herself to a milder reaction, a wide smile spreading on her lips as she pictured the success that expected her in the future. She was a top of the line Quidditch player and a few teams were already scouting for her despite there being more than half a year before her graduation. MJ had been doing her best to cover for chores so the Bourke could focus on her studies and career, wanting nothing more than fuel Aspen's ambition in the sport.

That mood wasn't to last as Alexander reminded her of something she had forgotten entirely. To pursue her dreams. MJ couldn't say that she had any dreams past those of passing on her genes. It was likely a byproduct of not giving herself any room to think of them, sticking to her responsibilities like glue and not thinking much of her own hobbies past them being an entertaining time sink. She didn't even think she had much of a future in her brand new job, only using it to make ends meet. "Um... Thank you, I'll keep that in mind." She ultimately said, the negative feeling building within her making her feel like she shouldn't press the subject too much.

Confusion, followed by concern, struck the Flinders as she watched Alexander recoil without any apparent external source. He seemed to realize what he had done and was quick to try to dissuade her worries, which only backfired as MJ's brows furrowed with increased distress over his situation - even if she was overthinking it, she was used to people around her doing the same thing if something bad had happened. Nevertheless, she felt like it was none of her business and didn't inquire into it past an analytical gaze watching the older teenager.

The subject change, however, did work as the very notion of working in the music industry visibly took the blonde aback. Being a part of the recording business? She didn't think of herself as an expert in any branch of music by any stretch of the imagination (knowing even less about anything that needed expensive equipment), having only started touching a guitar over Vivian's disappearance in the first place. To pursue an occupation like that felt like, in an odd way, she was taking her little sister's place in something she'd potentially like to eventually pursue and that made her feel uneasy.

"I'm... Not too sure, honestly." She admitted, gaze cast away from Alexander and to the path they were walking through at a painfully slow pace due to the heavy rain. "I don't know much about the business at all, and you might be giving me too much credit there..." Plus, she had a job. How would she even stretch her time to include that area?

It had been easy to tell that the admiration towards her sibling, not so much from the signals that had been showing in her smile or the fake her spirits seemed to be improving. If anything, he could empathize entirely from his own adoration and pride in Adele without even a second thought. He couldn't comment on the kind of things that she might've done to make it easier for whatever track that Aspen walked for success and future endeavors. But part of him couldn't allow for MJ to not see her own potential. 

'I blame my experiences for this. . . The girl looks happy to do what she can too. . .' The passing thought drawing out a smile of fondness for the energy that seemed to warp around the blonde. The 'How' had always been the difficult hill, especially when it came to those that hadn't considered it due to whatever drive that lured that particular thought. Did everyone have a place? What of the steps they can take to become better if they didn't think they did? On one hand, he knew he couldn't be pushy or else it would frustrate all involved despite the good intentions. On the other, support - Support would always be an important tactic to offer better chances. 

Alex didn't find it often, that the memories of his various pains could react with a phantom wound effect. That moment, however, had definitely been one that painted in his mind. The way that a Wizard's magic could cause the greatest torments against his own simply from the fact that the magical lineages were so adverse, so against one another, that it'd been violently toxic. But changing the subject not only had been the attempt to help ease her worries, there had also been the side intent that it could distract him enough that the memory would be forced away. 

"Call me a guy who likes to put a lot of hope in people, I truly believe you've good talent. And it doesn't need to be anything with long hours. Short term probably works best considering. You know, whenever you have the time and actually want to." His fingers grasping around the umbrella's rod to steady it from the heavenly torrent. "Plus, it's really about just having fun with it a bit.

Try as she might, MJ couldn't bring herself to agree with Alexander. Talent? It was just a hobby, a way of making herself connected to someone whom was no longer among them - or so, in a sick and twisted way, she hoped as anything else could wind up being a far worse fate. Surely, he was simply deceived by her dexterous fingers, as she was very skillful with her hands in general; though her mind couldn't make that strawman connect to the fact he implied she had a good ear, and thus she was left at a loss as everything within her wanted to argue the point nonetheless without a solid leg to stand on.

"...I don't know if I should, still..." She shook her head. "Between school, our pets, my brother, the house, my job... I don't really have much time for anything else. Plus, that sounds like the sort of thing that needs equipment, and, well..." The girl trailed off. They were in Koonyah. That alone should clue the boy in as far as her financial situation went. Unless someone were to provide her a space and equipment for her to work, as well as free instruction, there was no way she could make it work.

Fortunately, Steve came to her rescue. She snapped back into attention with another bark from the loyal creature, looking on down the street to find her house in sight. The rain diminished the visibility, certainly, but she was quite glad she wouldn't have to fight it for much longer. 'Alex, on the other hand...'

She couldn't invite him in when they got there, with her father in the house and so many chores yet to be done. It made her feel quite bad over it, guilty over being unable to pay him a little courtesy after he walked her all the way home. Each step closer made her dread the goodbye precisely because of such a thing, not wanting to be seen as ungrateful for the much needed assistance.

"...Doesn't hurt to think about it for a while, I guess..." She relented in a vain effort to get that line of thought out of her mind.