Tallygarunga | The Australian Potterverse
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke

VMU Students ☆ VMU studentTecri
23 year old Halfbreed Fairy ☆ She/Her/Hers

Bella hadn’t forgotten about Mark’s birthday, even if he didn’t celebrate it. She wanted to be sure he at least knew how important he was to her as a friend, while she wasn’t very good at expressing herself with words, she was better at doing it with actions. Bella had made a cake earlier that day, she didn’t want Mark finding out about it, so she had to hide the cake from him in her room while he was around in the kitchen, only decorating it when he moved to his room.

She was a bit anxious about the whole ordeal, what if he didn’t like chocolate? That could happen, and once it did then … what was she going to do? It wasn’t something she could worry about at the moment, she had already made the cake, she had already decorated it and had even gotten some candles.

The bag with his present sat on top of the kitchen table. Inside there was a new sketchbook and some art supplies, Bella knew that Mark liked to sketch, and he was good at it, it seemed like a decent enough present for him. Inside the bag there was also a pair of crocheted mittens with the Flinder’s colors that Bella had made, they had fallen onto the bag by mistake, she thought they wouldn’t be good enough, nor that he would wear such a thing, it was best they just remained in her room, hidden from everyone’s sight.

Bella knocked on his bedroom room, the cake was decorated, the present was on the table, all the needed was the birthday boy. “M-Mark…ar-are you there? C-can you … can you please come here?” she asked a bit skittish, maybe she overdid it, maybe she shouldn’t have done anything, could she rewind time and stop herself from knocking on the door? No, she couldn’t. Bella took a deep breath trying to calm herself, maybe if she hid in her room it would be alright, it would be like it never happened.

VMU Students ☆ VMU Student, Teacher's AideKirupachi
22 year old Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

"Hm?" For others, it was Mark's birthday; for himself, it was just another day, and he had taken the time to open his books and study, as per usual. Thursdays were his day off from work, so he had taken the opportunity to come home early and hit the books. With the term's exams looming in on the horizon, he should do his best to be prepared. However, it wasn't exactly meant to be, was it? Not with interruptions. The knock didn't bother him much despite his intentions that day. "Sure, one second." He called back out towards the entryway of his room. Folding the corner of his study tome to ensure he wasn't lost when he got back, he placed the book down on his nightstand and got up to his feet.

With a straightened posture, he wandered over to the door to his room, opening it and spotting his friend instantly. "Hey. What do you need?" The student asked with a chipper tone, a polite smile in greeting stretching at his lips in an attempt to make Bella feel at ease - he was quite aware she wasn't the most forthcoming of individuals, after all.

She paced around for a couple of minutes before Mark opened the door, should she hide? Yeah sounded like a good idea . . . maybe not, no, he knew she was the one knocking on his bedroom door, there was no point in hiding now. Bella waited, playing with her fingers, as Mark opened the door. She looked up at him with a shy smile. “I…I have…there’s a thing for you … in the…in the kitchen.” She avoided making eye contact, the fact that she was starting to think that she had overdone was making her just go to her room and hide.

Bella stepped out of the way for Mark to follow her into the kitchen. She walked slowly, small steps, she wanted the trip to last as long as it was possible, but considering the apartment wasn’t very big, they got to the kitchen sooner than she thought. “Hmmm…Happy Birthday?” she looked at him shyly with a smile.

“I…I didn’t know … I didn’t know if you wanted to … to celebrate it … but … but I got you this.” She handed him the paper bag with his present before moving on to the side of the table that had the cake. She sat on a chair and watched Mark, she didn’t want to be in his way.

"For me?" The man repeated, blinking dumbly at the prospect. At that moment Mark didn't make the mental connection as to why Bella would want to give him anything, assuming instead she had cooked something she intended to share - though his nose told him otherwise. Curiosity getting the better of him as always, he opted to smile at his friend, even if she wasn't looking at him directly. "Alright. Thank you."

He followed the woman with silent steps, peering inquisitively into the kitchen as soon as it was within sight. It was then that Bella reminded him of the occasion: it was his birthday. He had honestly forgotten about it, given that he wasn't one to celebrate it to begin with: it wasn't actually his birthday, it merely symbolized the day he was found on. Nevertheless his eyes lit up with surprise and contentment and his smile widened at the girl. "Well, thank you again. But, that wasn't necessary, you know?" Nevertheless, he wasn't so rude as to reject the gift. He took it from her hands and carefully pried open the little bag so to peruse whatever was within...

There wasn’t much she could do except wait for him to move with her to the kitchen. Each step made her heart beat faster, she was nervous. What if he didn’t like it? What if he would be upset with her? She played with her fingers until they got to the kitchen where she waited to see his reaction. The reaction seemed to have brought a smile on her face as she saw his smile, perhaps he was just being kind to her, regardless, he didn’t seem to think anything negative out of it.

Bella celebrated her birthday, and for most of them Mark had been there. “While it … might not be the actual day, just …“ she was having a hard time expressing what she wanted to tell him. “ … just, I’m happy you’re around.” It was probably one of the hardest thing Bella had to say, while her words had no second meaning, it might be interpreted as such. Bella liked Mark as a friend, he was her best friend and she had no idea how to show him her appreciation for him unless it was in small things like this.

It was out of character for her, but she moved to wrap her arms around her friend in a soft and kind embrace. “You’re not alone Mark.” She thought, unable to tell that to her friend, perhaps another day when she isn’t such a coward.

His eyes were greeted by a number of items within the bag. An assortment of art supplies, an eye catching sketchbook; and, as he lightly prodded at and rummaged through the bag, he spotted a pair of yellow and white gold mittens, the color combination all too familiar - it was the same for the Flinders House in Tallygarunga, the same one they both had inhabited during their education in the institution. The sense of familiarity and nostalgia brought a small smile to his face: while it was rare to have a feeling of belonging, it was still the House he spent seven years of his life in. Sometimes he wished he could go back.

Mark never had the time to actually retrieve the gifts from their container, however, as Bella spoke up, catching him off guard. His eyes widened slightly with the embrace that followed. For a moment, he didn't know what to say or do; after a few seconds of silence, the man set the bag down on a nearby surface to free his hand and reciprocated the hold, as gentle and loose as he could make it - he didn't want to make his friend uncomfortable, after all.

"...Thank you." He said once managing to gather his thoughts, a small smile fitting his lips to let Bella know he was quite happy with the turn of events. "Right back at you, though. You won't get rid of me so easily." He injected a bit of levity into the situation reflexively, trying to cheer the woman up through the emotional exchange.

He seemed to have enjoyed the gift, she was scared he wasn’t going to enjoy them, but for the expression on his face it seemed that he had enjoyed them, and it looked sincere. Bella smiled, perhaps he wouldn’t like those mittens, they weren’t a decent present.

It was unusual for Bella to hold someone willingly, she was always so scared of what could happen that she’d simply prefer not to, but, Bella trusted Mark, he had been her best friend, one of her only friends, she wasn’t sure if he knew that. She was grateful that he didn’t hold her too tight, a light simple touch made her feel safer than a tight one, at least for the moment.

She pulled away and instead of looking at Mark she avoided eye contact. She wasn’t sure how he felt about the hug, if he had something against it or not, it was best to ignore looking at him, but the sound of his voice was like a magnet and she found herself looking at him as he spoke. He was thanking her? There was no need to do it and it only embarrassed her. She scratched her cheek with her fingers as her smile grew wider slowly.

Bella didn’t plan on getting rid of Mark, at least for now and she didn’t want it to be easy, Mark was her best friend, she wouldn’t want to lose him and the idea of it only made her sadder. “I … I do-don’t want that…” she spoke, but upon seeing how it sounded she raised her arms to express what she wanted to say. “I-I mean…don-don’t want it to be easy…no-not to get rid of you…” And now it sounded way worse than it did before.

“Way to go Bella, you’re so stupid. Keep being an idiot and you’ll end up alone.”

As quickly as the hug had been initiated, it had been broken. Mark didn't seem to mind it much at all - in fact, he was rather surprised Bella had done such a thing to begin with, knowing her not to be the most touchy of folks. Despite his general social awkwardness and absurd ignorance of social constructs and intricacies, the man was able to understand and take great value in the little interaction. It made him cherish his friend more, and it made him proud that she'd gone out of her way to do such a thing to begin with.

Even if she wasn't looking at him, Mark's lips stretched far and wide in a grin that dwarfed hers. Even if he didn't celebrate his birthday, that moment was the best possible gift he could have gotten, or so he decided. Nobody was taking it away from him, and he'd make sure Bella knew her friendship was deeply treasured.

"Good, because you're not gonna." He joked, trying to make things easier on her. "I'm gonna stick to you like glue until you get tired of me. How does that sound?" Mark let out a gentle chuckle before calming himself down, consciously angling his body just a bit away from her so to give her more breathing room.

"In all seriousness, though, thank you again. Really. Maybe I should test these supplies out by drawing something for you. Is there anything you'd like done?"

Things were going great, Mark accepted everything and seemed to have enjoyed the little surprise she had prepared for him. The sound of his voice caught her by surprise. He said everything so easily, without worrying about how it sounded, while she was scared every little thing could be misinterpreted. But, after everything that he had said, would she get tired of him? He respected her space, how she was, Mark was her best friend, she highly doubted she’d get tired of him easily. “I-I don’t think I will.” She smiled at Mark. They had been friends for years and she hadn’t grown tired of him, and hopefully he wouldn’t grow tired of her either.

Bella smiled at the thought of them being friends for years, and she didn’t want to lose him, unless it had to, she couldn’t see herself not sharing an apartment with Mark. She looked up at him to answer his question, but she wasn’t sure what to answer. “Oh...how about Jester?” she proposed. The snake was hers, but it liked Mark as well, sometimes she thought the snake liked Mark more than it liked her.

“I mean it ate an hour ago, but you should be able to sketch him …” She wasn’t sure if she wanted to propose the next option she had, would Mark even be into sketching humans? She knows Mark is good at what he does, but she was having a hard time remembering if he also sketched humans or not. “Or we can take a photo and you can sketch us…”