School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

Sturt ☆ School & Sturt Quidditch Team Captain, Chaser & Dueling Club CaptainKirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

For over a year at that point, Lisa Knotley had gained the reputation of being a terrible friend (and person in general). Placing herself above others, seeing everyone else as expendable and unimportant, along with a myriad of rumors made up over time about things she hadn't actually done. That morning, it was no different - she wasn't helping her own case at all with the fact she was yet to wish a happy birthday to the girl she was walking with. She had agreed on hanging out, finding it odd that Aspen wanted to spend such a substantial amount of time with her of all people in that day rather than with loved ones, but ultimately, who was she to say no? The break had started that same day and she had nothing better to do. Perhaps it was for the best that the fact school was over usually only hit her in full swing the Monday after it happened, or else that day would have had her in a bit of a foul mood.

Instead, she sought to amuse herself, and make things better in the end for her friend. She hadn't said a thing because she deliberately wanted Aspen to think she had forgotten - it would make the payoff all the sweeter. "Say, do you mind if we go to a Quidditch gear shop? I've been saving up for some gloves for a little while now, and I think it's time I got them. Give them a test drive during vacations and all, you know?" It was unfortunate that she couldn't get a gloves and shin guards combo for the girl in question, but the material she wanted was quite expensive. Besides, she could always get the rest of the equipment for Christmas if it came down to it. "It should be fairly quick. I know what I'm looking for." It cost an arm and a leg, but it was a good investment.

The hour was closing in on lunch time as they walked under the weakened sunlight. She didn't know if Aspen had to leave or if she would be available to sit down and eat a meal prior to ditching Lisa, and so she needed to acquire the gift she wanted as soon as possible. She was quite surprised with herself at being able to hold the charade for that long; truth be told, she was practically giddy to see Aspen's reaction at getting a much needed gear upgrade. The extra item she had previously prepared for the Bourke's younger sister would certainly be a nice bonus, too.

Bourke ☆ Student, Quidditch Chaser, Paper GirlTecri
17 year old Halfblood Human ☆ she/her

Aspen woke up early like any other day, it was the weekend, but she had to prepare everything for everyone, they still needed to eat their breakfast and she still needed to exercise a little before meeting up with Lisa. As usual she tried to spend some time with her teammate and friend, today was no different, their father had the day off, but he still had to work the previous night, hopefully, when he gets home, he’ll be able to eat something and then rest.

As proposed Aspen and Lisa met someplace around town, Aspen was Aware that Lisa probably didn’t remember her birthday, it was already known around the school how Lisa was, regardless she didn’t mind too much, she managed to have some fun with a special friend. There was a concerned look on Aspen’s face, she had left MJ alone at home with Justice, hopefully, nothing bad happens. Her thoughts were interrupted by Lisa’s voice. “Not at all, I love that store.” Aspen said as she followed Lisa to the store, unfortunately, everything was so expensive and she had some money reserved for a couple of things, perhaps next year Aspen can get some new equipment.

“After this do you want to go get something to eat? My treat. I only planned something with MJ and the others later today, because dad worked all night so he’s a bit tired.” Aspen commented, hoping that Lisa would agree to have lunch with her.

Sturt ☆ School & Sturt Quidditch Team Captain, Chaser & Dueling Club CaptainKirupachi

Perfect. They could head in without Lisa spilling the beans on her little surprise. She led the Bourke into the store, but didn't seem to window shop much at all - in fact, she walked right into a specific equipment aisle, as if knowing exactly what she was looking for: they were looking at a bit of a higher end range of full arm Quidditch gloves for professional play. Quite the odd choice, as Lisa didn't need them at all.

"Sure." She momentarily took her eyes away from the arm guards, glancing over at Aspen. "The break just started so I'm free all day. Lunch wouldn't hurt. Where are you taking me?" She decided to make conversation while discreetly inspecting the length of Aspen's arms. Roughly the same build as her own for sure, which allowed the Sturt to keep up the charade for a little longer. She then reached for a pair of gloves, and fitted it around her right arm, stretching and bending the limb to test the resistance of the leathery material. "What do you think of this one?"

Aspen looked around the store, everything was new and in good condition, Aspen’s things were old, and she could use a piece of new equipment, but she had other things to worry about, maybe later in the year as a graduation present for herself.

She looked over at Lisa to answer the question. “I don’t know, I like this small burger shop, it’s a really nice place and the food is not bad. Are you up for it?” Aspen proposed. She knew Lisa liked Pizza from what she read on the QuillBook but there was nothing wrong to have Lisa try something new.

Once again Lisa’s voice called for Aspen’s attention, Aspen looked down at the item and inspected it, good quality at a decent price. “They seem good, let me touch it.” Aspen grabbed the gloved to inspect them a little better. “The quality is good, the stitches are well made, they don’t seem like the kind of gloves that would disintegrate when you wear them for the first time.” Aspen commented giving the gloves back to Lisa.

"A burger shop?" Lisa let out a somewhat amused laugh. "What's with you Bourkes and fast food? Are you looking to get me fat, is that it? Trying to get the upper hand in Quidditch?" Despite her words, the younger of the two didn't seem at all upset with the implications; in fact, she could hardly keep a smile off her face. "Alright, alright. I suppose I'll have plenty of time in the break to shed the calories." First Travis with the whole pizza deal, and now Aspen with burgers. What was next? Samantha with tacos?

It seemed that the Bourke Captain quite liked the gloves. That was for the best. They were already pushing the upper limit of what Lisa could afford, and it saved them a lot of time; it also meant she had to keep up the charade for less time than normal, which she was appreciative of due to being too straightforward for her own good by nature. "Gotcha. Taking these then, thank you." She took the glove out of her arm, and led Aspen to the main counter, where she had to pay for the items. Retrieving her wallet, she opened it, revealing both the money she had painstakingly saved up for the investment, as well as three little pass-like pictures behind a clear cover: one of a man in his 20's, one of a younger girl, and the last one was from the friend she had betrayed the year before. It hurt to see all that money leave her wallet almost as much as it did seeing those faces. Though soon enough, she closed it, shielding the face of the three most important people in the world to her from view as she did.

"Well then, shall we?" She let Aspen lead the way as they exited the store. Soon, it would be finally time...

Aspen laughed at Lisa’s comment. The Bourkes were, in fact, the most active of the houses, so perhaps that’s the reason they loved fast food so much? “Perhaps I am.” Aspen spoke while a big smile, she had to stop smiling like that, it was going to be too obvious that she had a thing for Lisa, however, she still couldn’t stop. “Well we do are going to train so I suppose we’ll get rid of these calories too soon, and then we have to come back, maybe next time something different? I do like smoothies.” Aspen said winking at Lisa.

She followed Lisa, always looking at the new merchandise they had, Aspen couldn’t afford it all, no matter how much she wanted to, she couldn’t. As Lisa was paying, Aspen noticed the photos, but she decided to stay quiet about it.

Aspen left the store and held the door open for Lisa. “So, now we can go eat and discuss our plans for the break.” Aspen spoke as she led the way to the burger shop.

"More to grab, I suppose." The Sturt responded with a light tease, more to herself than anything else. A mere glance as they walked to the fellow Bourke made her smile widely as well, as Aspen's grin was downright infectious, in her opinion. "Smoothies? Different? Who have I been hanging out with for the past year?" She pressed the joke further, though it was something she quite enjoyed - one of the very few moments of reprieve she allowed herself to have. When had Aspen become that good a friend of hers? Lisa couldn't quite pinpoint it. Yet there they were, talking without a care in the world, and the Sturt acquiring something quite expensive for the fellow Captain under no obligation to do so. She knew she shouldn't get too close to anybody at that point, but it didn't hurt to enjoy it for a little while, did it?

"Such a gentleman." She walked out the door as it was held open and waited for the older girl once stepping outside, following her in the path to their mouth watering destination. "Plans. You mean, train, train, and train some more?" Even if Lisa was perfectly fine with obsessing over peak condition and absolutely nothing else, she wasn't daft enough to ignore the notion that others could think differently. "Unless you have better ideas. I don't go out much, so I don't know what's there to do around here. Plus, there's the little 'cost' concern that we usually have to deal with, which shrinks the number of activities we can engage in."

Aspen wasn’t going to deny that the more there was to grab the better, perhaps not while Lisa was a quidditch player, she’ll become easier to hit, but at the same time more difficult to kidnap, what a dilemma. She shook her head at Lisa’s question. “Some other place.” Aspen answer with a wink before they left the store.

“Thank you, Milady.” Aspen spoke bowing lightly at her friend. Lisa wasn’t easy to get to know, she liked to close herself behind an armor, a very fancy and shiny armor, but once someone was able to pierce it, well, Lisa wasn’t a bad friend, not really, even with her past actions Aspen believed it was a moment of weakness, but so far Lisa hasn’t been trying anything. “Yeah, pretty much just train, maybe we can do a game night? Some truth or dare game?” Aspen proposed. “Would have to be in your dorm room because you can’t leave because of curfew.” Aspen didn’t want Lisa to get into trouble because of a stupid game.

Aspen continued to walk towards the place she had mentioned earlier until they finally reach it. Aspen opened the door as before for Lisa to enter.

"A game night, you say?" Lisa repeated with interest as they walked, carefully observing Aspen while holding onto the bag carrying the gift that she purchased. As well as her backpack, of course, containing a book very near and dear to her heart over the past year. "Well, curfew's extended during the breaks, but... Actually, I have a better idea."

Once again, Aspen held the door for her. Lisa couldn't help but let out a little chuckle. "Your manners are astounding, Miss Clarke." She complimented, waiting for her once inside and leading the girl to one of the few booths of the shop. Sitting down by the window, she let her two bags rest on the booth seat directly beside her own.

"Anyway, the idea would be..." She glanced over at the local menu while speaking. "...How about you spend the night that day? I don't have a roommate, and you wouldn't have to worry about making your way back home at dangerous hours. Plus, we can always go for some exercise in the morning." A nice deal in her mind, she thought.

Aspen nodded at Lisa’s question, probably didn’t mean much, it was a simple game, nothing to worry about, but was curious about Lisa’s idea. She stared at her friend curious but decided to wait until they were sitting at the table. She bowed her head lightly to Lisa’s complimented. They sat by the window, and now Aspen was about to ask Lisa what her idea was.

Not having to ask for the idea, Aspen listened carefully. That was a pleasant surprise. “Really? You don’t mind?” Aspen still couldn’t believe. “I mean, I’m good with it, I just need to warn MJ and it fits into our exercising schedule as well.” She shouldn’t have to worry too much about being in school around that time.

“I also shouldn’t have an issue there, I don’t think they will punish me for being inside the school at that hour considering I don’t live there.” She tried to joke, but it wasn’t a really good one.

Whether the joke was good or not, it didn't matter - it cracked a grin across Lisa's face. "Still, better safe than sorry. I'll devise some plan to sneak you in later. But now, I just want to sneak some food into my stomach." Signaling one of the employees, she let them know what she was ordering. Once they got Aspen's order as well, they left, leaving the blondes to their devices once more.

"Well, while we wait." It was finally time. She reached for the handles of the bag containing the Quidditch gloves, pulling them closer to herself. "I hear little children always prefer dessert first over their main course. You're a newborn baby today, right? I suppose that's applicable to you too." With the little joke out of the way, the Sturt placed the bag in front of herself on the table, and pushed it with her fingers to slide it over to the gift's rightful recipient.

"Don't think I forgot." She finished once the bag had crossed the table, unable to shield a confident smirk from view.

Aspen laughed as she nodded, agreeing with Lisa. For now, they should order before continuing the conversation. Once they placed their orders Aspen looked at Lisa, she was waiting for Lisa to start planning on how to get Aspen in, but instead, she just began talking about something else. The Bourke looked at her friend curious, what did she mean by that, and why did she put the bag of the newly acquired gloves on the table?

The Bourke’s eyes grew wider at every word that Lisa spoke, didn’t Lisa buy that for herself? Aspen couldn’t speak. The girl’s heart began to race, it wasn’t normal for Lisa to remember other people’s birthday, why hers? Could it be that…nah! It wasn’t even possible.

Aspen continued to look at the bag like she had seen a ghost. “T-th-thank you…” she finally spoke as a smile grew across her face. She didn’t know what to say or do, it had been the best birthday gift she could receive.

The sudden silence worried Lisa. She leaned her body to the side ever so slightly, in the direction of the window, so to be able to peek past the bag and see what was wrong with Aspen; she let out a sigh of relief as the most prominent thing on her face, other than the sheer shock, was a smile that belonged there at all times.

She smirked a bit in an attempt to alleviate the mood. "C'mon, test it out. I could look at that smile all day but those gloves need some use." She gave her friend a playful wink before straightening her posture in her seat. "Consider it an investment. You'd better take those to AQL."

Taking her time, she reached into her own bag, producing a copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 by Miranda Goshawk. A very annotated copy, at that. She opened the book to check it herself, to see if she was happy with the final product. "Your sister's birthday is coming up too, right?"

Aspen was still completely in shock after the Sturt’s revelation about the gloves. The Bourke girl was still staring at Lisa with a smile plastered across her face. “Yes...sure...” she said quickly as she took the gloves out of the bag and tried them on, they fit perfectly, she and Lisa had a similar built which probably made things a lot easier. “How did you know?” it wasn’t too hard to know the way Aspen spoke about her equipment, Lisa was a smart girl, she figured it out easily.

The Bourke was trying out the gloves, they were indeed magnificent, with perfect stitches. Shortly after trying the gloves, and still smiling she turned to Lisa who was holding a book. “Yeah…Lisa, you didn’t.” Aspen was completely speechless, she was having a hard time containing the urge to hug her friend.

“Mary is going to love this, thank you so much.”

When asked about how she knew Aspen needed such a thing, Lisa only wiggled her eyebrows once, and followed it with a self-assured smirk. In the end, it didn't matter how she knew; it mattered that she had gone through with it. She didn't want Aspen to worry too much about it regardless and decided not to engage in the subject. It was her birthday. She was meant to enjoy things, not interrogate Lisa about them.

It seemed that Aspen had accurately guessed what that book was for without much input. Lisa figured the 'Grade 5' lettering pressed on the cover of the book was enough of a giveaway. "Hold on, hold on. You've seen nothing yet." Placing the school book on the table opened in a random page, she moved it over to Aspen so she could see the various, self-admittedly brilliant, annotations adorning the empty spaces in the book. Spell improvements, corrections, new spells entirely, most of which geared towards dueling; and of course, it having been Lisa who made such a thing, there were more than a few pranks that she never gave much used to scribbled down as well.

"This doesn't come from me, alright? It's your sister's birthday, so it comes from you."

Aspen could sleep with those gloves, she was sure MJ was going to protest but Aspen didn’t care. Aspen was too pleased and happy to even be able to say anything, all of that had been a huge surprise and a good one. After a while, Aspen was able to calm down from the excitement. “Thank you, Lisa.” She said, now a bit calmer than she was before.

For Lisa to give that to Aspen for MJ meant a lot more than the gloves, she wouldn’t expect Lisa to do such a thing, in a way it showed the person she was, not the person she wants others to see. Aspen smiled and touched the notebook. “I promise, she is going to love it.” Aspen chuckles imagining her sister’s face when she sees the notebook.

Before Aspen could say anything else, their food arrived. Aspen looked at Lisa, she looked at her differently. The Lisa that people knew was probably a way to keep her distance.

"Anytime." Lisa spoke with a nod while leaning back on the booth, crossing her legs under the table. There was a little smile of accomplishment adorning her lips with the reaction that had unfolded before her. For a change, it wasn't a completely egotistical grin, or one out of superiority; rather, she felt like she had done some good for a change. And not just some random action, but something that mattered for someone she was starting to perceive to be precious to her on some level.

'A dangerous thought, but I'll leave it be.'

It seemed that their food had finally arrived. She reached for her own burger's tray, pulling it close to the edge of the table closest to herself. "I assume you'll be taking the Apparition License Exam sometime soon?" She decided to make conversation with an easy topic. She had a vague idea of where Aspen and her family lived; the thought of them going back and forth in that area at night wasn't an easy one to swallow. Apparition would certainly make things easier.

Aspen flashed a smile at the Sturt, she still couldn’t believe her luck, a new pair of gloves, she was needing them, Lisa had no idea how happy Aspen was, those gloves were amazing. Aspen now saw Lisa differently, initially as a teammate, later as a friend, and shortly after as someone she enjoyed being around and perhaps something more.

Their food was on the table and Aspen couldn’t be happier, now all it took was later that day spending time with her family. As Lisa’s question, Aspen rose her head to listen. “Yes. I actually do. Not for me exactly but mostly for MJ and Justice. Once I do, I don’t need to worry about them walking home alone, I can just go get them.” She replied to the Sturt before she started eating her food.