Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
October, 2019 :: Spring

Invite The Price of Memories

Ministry ☆ Bounty Hunter✩ Kirupachi
27 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

With the arrival of the Fall, May finally felt more comfortable moving around outside. It meant that the sun would set earlier, and she didn't have to care so much for her skin not cooking up so much that she'd become a live advertisement of a barbecue. Even so, she decided not to head out too late in the day - she had to drop by a dear friend's house, and she didn't want to run into them having dinner on accident. That was just bad form. And so, late in the afternoon, as the sun made its slow descent down the horizon, the Dhampir made her way down to the rich part of town after covering herself with copious amounts of sunscreen. With a messenger bag hanging from a shoulder, she calmly strolled down McEwen Lane, taking in the sights of the life of the wealthy. She had acquired a similar house for herself recently in the outskirts of town, even if obtained with blood money; for the few days she had been in it, she wasn't sure if it was the kind of lodgings that appealed to her in the long term, even if it had once been a dream of hers to have such a thing.

Her feet led her towards a house not quite like the others. While most houses in the area looked posh, pretty and pristine, the one she was looking for looked like something out of a horror movie. Not that looked bad at all, no; it just looked tremendously out of place. Despite its luscious and well cared for garden, there was a broken gate and the liveliness of the plants didn't translate into the dullness of the property itself. May couldn't help but smile a bit in amusement at the sight of the gate. It had always eluded her why the thing hadn't been fixed by the owners after so many years, but ultimately it wasn't any of her business. She opened it and walked past, carefully pushing it near-close. Not that it would actually keep any potential trespassers (such as herself) at bay, of course.

Her nose detected the familiar scent of two beings in the house, indicating she could ring the doorbell without awkward silence ensuing. Jogging up the steps of the porch, she reached the front door and rang the bell three times in quick succession. The meetup she had with a friend in the day before hadn't been too pleasing; hopefully this one would end up better.

Narragyambie ☆ Photographer✩ Tecri
23 year old Halfbreed Fairy ☆ She/Her/Hers

Robin had spent most of her day at the reserve, observing and photographing the wildlife for the new pamphlets, the more people that would visit it the better, which meant that in the future it would mean more work for her. The big question for this job was to go all in with an expensive method or keep it simple? Possibly keep it simple, it would save her some trouble and it will save the reserve some money as well.

She arrived home and as usual, spent over an hour in the basement working on the photos with two heads trying to see what she was doing, however, her companions soon left her side and moved onto the first floor to see who was at the door. While it took the ghosts to move, Robin decided to watch the backyard from one of her favorite spot on the roof.

On the main floor, two slightly transparent kids ran around until they felt something which made them want to rush to the nearby window in the living room. “Move it, let me see!” a voice shouted angrily. “I got here first!” someone else shouted. Upon seeing who it was at the door, both ghosts glided to the front door. “MAY!” they shouted in unison as the dogs ran through the house to greet the visitor.

Glinda, Robin’s mother, opened the door. “May?” she said surprised to see a familiar face. The woman was tall and thin, her long red hair was tied in a perfect braid. “Come inside sweetie.” She said as she stepped aside for May to enter. “I apologize in advance for these four, I believe you know Sally and Nancy…” the woman said pointing at the two ghosts. “…and Persephone and Freya.” She said, now pointing at the two dogs.

Once they were all inside Glinda closed the door. “I’m so happy to see you if you want Robin she’s probably in the basement. Will you be staying for dinner?” Glinda asked, but before May could answer the twins surrounded May. “She’s in the roof!”

As her own name reached her ears, May looked in the general direction the two voices had came from, to spot a pair of excited ghosts she knew all too well. She couldn't help but smile a bit at them as they raced out of sight and towards the door that soon opened, revealing Robin's mother. "Ms. Shaw." She nodded in acknowledgement of the woman. "I'm sorry for turning up without warning."

Careful not to look too much into the woman's eyes for too long lest she get faestruck, she tore her gaze away to inspect the ghosts that came to greet her - they hadn't changed at all, such was their nature. She gave each of them a small smile once entering the house, the door being closed behind her. "Oh, I don't mean to impose." She replied to Glinda, not yet making a move to visit her best friend.

"But, to make up for my sudden visit..." Reaching for her bag, the Dhampir retrieved a tupperware box filled with baked cookies. She handed it to Glinda. "Here. I made those myself. I promise they're edible."

Glinda smiled at May. “You know you’re always welcomed here dear, with or without warning.” She said. Hopefully, May won’t feel too guilty about showing without warning. Glinda dispelled her glamour, she landed in Persephone and sat there, she was so light the dog would hardly sense anything. Her hair was long and curly, it seemed that it hadn’t seen a brush in days, her brown eyes landed on May but only for a brief moment as the fae stared at the Tupperware with cookies. “Honey, you didn’t have to. I must insist you stay for dinner.” Glinda was barely bigger than the Tupperware.

The Tupperware flew from May’s hands and just floated in front of Glinda. “Go meet Robin, she’ll be thrilled to see you while I make dinner.” The fae spoke calmly as the dogs walked to the kitchen with her and the Tupperware followed.

“May! May! Come!” said a ghost as it tried to lead May to the roof where Robin was as the other ghost stood behind the young Dhampir to try to make her go faster, which prove to be useless.

May looked quite unperturbed by Glinda's transformation before her very eyes, having witnessed it many times in the past - she did visit her best friend a lot back in the day, especially when they were tackling the beast that is Auslan together. She could only smile politely as she was practically forced to stay over for dinner. It wasn't something she minded, and if anything, it made her feel a bit safer in her own skin. Truly a rarity those days.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Ms. Shaw." She bowed her head lightly at the Fae in gratitude. As the woman left to the kitchen, one of the ghosts got behind her and tried to move her towards the roof of the house. "Okay, okay." The Dhampir moved upstairs with light but quick steps, at a near jogging pace; once in the attic, she looked at the window at the opposite end of the room to see it open. Not only that, there was a familiar person sitting immediately in front of it, on the outside.

Smiling to herself, May reached inside her bag, retrieving a little souvenir she had acquired during her misadventures - a small snow globe with 'Perth, Australia' inscribed at the bottom. She snuck up behind the girl and climbed the window just enough to be able to stretch the gift into view from behind, the hand holding it going around Robin and lightly shaking it in her periphery while May securely perched herself on the windowsill.

The ghosts followed May towards the attic always bickering with each other. They followed May up to the attic. They looked around and decided to go interact with an old toy that was on a corner while May did what she wanted to do. Robin watched the backyard and thought that perhaps she could clean the pool before summer, perhaps even have some company over, as long as she could get in touch with her old friends, that would be a nice little reunion.

She didn’t realize that May was on the roof with her. When she saw the snow globe a smile appeared on her face. “MAY!” she shouted turning towards May and literally jumping to the woman and giving her a tight hug.

“You’re back! And you’re alive!” Robin said delightful to see her old friend back in one piece. “So? What happened? You alright?” Robin was not only happy, but she was somewhat worried about May, disappearing like that couldn’t have been easy, but May seemed to be alright, at least physically.

Almost as soon as her best friend spotted the little gift, May found herself having to withstand her whole weight and force in what was a sudden, tight hug. Given her position, even with her superior musculature, the momentum threw her backwards; fortunately nothing harmful happened to either one, as she managed to hold the girl safely as her feet landed on the floor of the attic, managing to stay upright rather than fall backwards. She had managed to keep a hold on the little snow globe as well, it being safe from shattering in her grip.

That type of welcome made her happy. Most of the welcomes she had received could be described as lukewarm at best, yet Robin was visibly just happy to see her. That brought a rare wide smile to the Dhampir's lips that just refused to go away as they greeted one another.

"Hey." She spoke as soon as they pulled away from each other enough for Robin to be able to read lips. "Missed you too. Sorry for my... disappearance, I had some family troubles." Maybe she should introduce Robin to Ian? "But they've been resolved, and I'm back for good. I hope."

Robin’s smile grew as she stared at May before her eyes were fixated on the snow globe as a child gets fixated on a candy, all that ended when she saw May’s lips moving, it meant that it was time to start paying attention to what her friend was saying. “I’m so happy you’re back.” Robin commented. “It’s okay, sometimes things happen.” Robin shrugged as she stood up and watched May, still smiling.

“You’ve seen mom right? You’re staying for dinner aren’t you?” Robin asked unsure if her mother had invited May, but if she had been the one to open the door the chances were that the older fae had invited her daughter’s friend for dinner. “Oh! Oh! I got so many things to tell you!” Robin spoke almost like she had been connected to a power source. 

Suddenly the twins began to run around both May and Robin, begging them to play with them. 

May nodded at both inquiries. In hindsight she should've known better - it wasn't the first time she had been persuaded in having a meal at the Shaw household, and knowing its various occupants, it certainly wouldn't be the last. It made her feel like she had a safety net. It had been just over four years since she stepped into the place, and yet everyone was treating her like nothing had happened. Of course, she couldn't let herself bask in the feeling for too long. The more often she visited the family, the more they would be at risk.

The twin ghosts soon started hounding them. May smiled apologetically at both. "Is it alright if we take a raincheck on that, at least for the time being? There's a lot of catching up to do. Though to make up for it, I promise that if I don't play with you later today, I'll come here one day just for that. Deal?" Compromise. Now that was something she had always been good at.

The twins jumped around May and Robin but accepted May’s words and soon stopped. They looked up at Robin hoping that she could speak for them, so that May could play. Robin stared at the twins and laughed. “What? You two know I have no idea what May said don’t you?” Robin looked at the twin crossing her arms.

The twins made a sad face but accepted May’s words and decided to just leave Robin and May alone. Robin watched as they disappeared before turning her attention to May. “Sorry about them, they just love having you around, you can listen to them, most the time since I can’t listen to them.”

Robin smiled at her friend, perhaps they can catch up later after dinner, or before depending how long her mother takes, but there was a high chance that Pizza was going to be their dinner. “Shall we go downstairs, or do you want to sit outside?” she asked pointing at the window.

"I'd like to sit outside with you for a bit, if that's okay. It's been a while." May stuck to Auslan at that point, having enough freedom to move her arms. There was a small smile on her face as she signed the words - it seemed that she still had a potent grasp of the language. "Come on." She hopped back onto the window frame, crossing the open window's boundaries to meet the somewhat warm air outside. She sat away from the window just enough that Robin would have ample room to climb up as well and sit down in front of the Dhampir.

"I told them that I'd play with them later, since we have plenty to catch up on." She continued once her friend was close by again. "Though, you said you had plenty to tell me. Why don't we start there?" Even if Robin was her best friend... If she could avoid talking about herself, she would.

May had accepted the invitation, but what surprised Robin was that May seemed to be signing without a problem. Robin’s smile grew as she looked at her friend. Robin couldn’t deny that she had missed May, even if May had left for a reason. The redhead followed May onto the roof and sat down next to her friend.

Robin finally knew what May told the ghosts. “I see…” she didn’t like to butt into other people’s minds, especially her friends and family, it was rude. “I graduated VMU.” She said with a smug look on her face like she had accomplished something far greater than it was. “But I work as a freelance photographer, mostly for the reserve, they don’t pay well enough but if I can get their pamphlets to look nice, I do what I can.” Robin still required to be paid, as much as she loved working there, being around animals all day, photographing them, not only for the reserve but mostly for it, she still had to pay for the materials.

“You look good, physically, but…I don’t want to butt in but there’s something there…” Robin was worried about May but wasn’t going to ask questions, she knew May probably didn’t want to answer to them.

A small smiled formed on the Dhampir's lips with pride as Robin went at length about her life and accomplishments. "Congratulations. Let me know if you ever need any help with anything." She signaled. Her career of choice, however, gave May a bit of an idea. She didn't exactly want her animagus form to be photographed, given how unique it had become over the years, but perhaps she could surprise her friend with it during a work day. She knew where the Reserve was. It was a matter of finding a whole in her admittedly mostly vacant schedule and then she'd be able to sneak a smile into her best friend's face.

She was caught off guard, however, by being told something was off. Was it with her appearance? She didn't have so much of a baby face anymore, more defined features having taken its place, and her hair had grown, but she wasn't aware of any other changes to it at all. "What do you mean?" She asked, completely clueless as to what it could possibly be.

Everything was good, Robin mostly lived her life by taking photos, and her mother, well, Robin has no idea what her mother does for a living, the only thing she knows is that the woman stays around the house most of the time, probably robbed a bank when she was younger. “That makes me happy.” Robin commented. She knew her friend would be proud of her, she just liked to hear it from her, well, know it from her.

Robin smiled at May, it wasn’t easy growing up, she refused to, she didn’t want the melancholy of adulthood to catch on to her, but it did catch May. “Adulthood, you’re more mature. Some don’t lose their spark but you’re one of those adults that do.” Robin laughed, not wanting to go into detail. “But, I’m glad to have you back, we’re going to have so much fun.”

Spark? For a moment, rather than signal back, May blinked in absolute confusion as to what her friend meant, her own question going unresolved - the answer only opened more of them. But, maybe, it was nothing. Maybe it just meant that May looked like she had grown up. She would argue that she had always had some sort of semblance of maturity, but at the same time, the statement would be accurate: she had grown up in ways she never wanted to over the years.

"Spark or no spark, you're not going to get rid of me so easily this time." She eventually decided to counter, after mulling over the words in her head. "I have a whole bunch of free time now too, so we should hang out more. Do you mind if I meet you at the reserve sometime soon? I'd like to see you in working mode."

Robin laughed at her friend’s word. “I don’t want to get rid of you.” Robin couldn’t deny that she enjoyed the Dhampir’s company. May had been Robin’s friend for a long time, even took the time to be able to learn how to communicate with her, even if Robin allowed May to have all the freedom she needed and wanted, but at the end of the day, Robin did care for her friend.

“You’re welcomed at the reserve, you’ll know how to find me.” Robin smiled. It was easy to find her, either on a tree branch or on a bush, sometimes even between the animals. Robin wouldn’t shapeshift, even if her fairy nature allowed her to do so, her human blood made it hard, reorganizing bones and muscles was one of the most painful experiences a person could go through.

“Maybe I can even take a few photos of you, the one I have is old, I’d like something more recent.” Unfortunately, it was the truth, the previous photograph of May had five to six years, they looked a lot different back then.

"Can I walk you there instead? Maybe after breakfast one of these days." May signaled with a gentle mine settled upon her lips. The irony of the situation wasn't entirely lost to her - she was highly apprehensive to re-approaching others, yet there she was, doing everything she could to spend more time with her best friend. Half out of concern, half out of not having much to do in between missions; all she could do was train, and she had already acquired a full pass for the local dojo. She could also visit Ian as well, but the boy was busy with classes. 'Speaking of Ian...'

"You can take some now, if you want. Though, I just remembered something. There's somebody I'd like you to meet, if that's okay, though don't be too open to others about his relation to me, okay? Let's say I'm thinking of introducing you two for old time's sake." That boy got along with everyone. Maybe it would take his mind off of certain things she didn't exactly wish to discuss.

If May was going to go there with Robin after breakfast that meant they would either meet or May could spend the time like good old times, watching a moving, playing games, perhaps even playing with the noisy little devils that like to haunt strangers that wanted to take a peek inside the property. “That means we could have a party, just us and the twins.” She spoke excitedly about the possibilities.

Robin’s face showed a confused expression. Robin knew May had secrets, but that seemed to be a whole new level. “Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. You can trust me, maybe he can come with me to the reserve whenever you can’t, or whenever you need someone to watch over him.” Robin smiled at her friend. “I’m a very competent caretaker…I’m competent with magic.” she hadn’t killed herself, but anyone knew Robin wasn’t to be trusted minors due to her disposition, but if the boy was old enough, he would have some fun with her for sure.

May nodded to the idea of a party. While being more of a quiet individual in general herself, she was never against a good old round of socializing; besides, she had already promised the twins she'd play around with them earlier anyway. Might as well make it happen within a festive mood. If anything, it could be that it would shed some of the never ending tension off of May's shoulders.

"Alright, thank you." She eventually signaled back. "I want to introduce to you my brother, Ian. He's in Tallygarunga right now. A fifth year, if I recall. I think you'll like him, he's pretty bright and cheery. You two might even go on Reserve adventures together." She decided to joke a little to cheer herself up. The topic didn't have to be as awkward as she initially thought it would be.

“I’d be honored to meet him.” Robin was happy that May trusted her enough, she had to preserve their privacy, but this way she was sure May knew that her brother would be safe, or relatively safe, besides, it would be another person to play with, despite most people didn’t like when fae played with them.

“I’m sure I’m going to like him, and I’m also sure he’s going to like the reserve.” Robin signed with a cheerier disposition. “You know, maybe one day you can bring him here, I’m sure the twins will love him and mom, you know how mom is.” Robin laughed thinking about how her mother would reach. The fae was old but it seemed that loss hadn’t taken a toll on her like so many of her kind, Robin just hopped her mother’s feelings remain the same once she leaves the mortal world.

"Thank you. He doesn't speak sign language like we do but knowing him he wouldn't be opposed to learning it either." May had noticed a couple similarities between herself and her brother that were quite surprising, given the discrepancy in upbringing and the fact they hardly knew each other; if anything, it gave her the motivation to keep up with her sacrifice and ensure the young Dhampir was properly provided for. There were a few people whom had made it to May's small, exclusive list of people she would watch the world burn for, and Ian was at the top of it. He was the last blood connection she had left - the good kind, at least. She wouldn't fail him, no matter the personal cost.

"Speaking of them." A small smile fit her lips. She got up to one knee, as if preparing herself to abandon the rooftop. "We've been chatting here a while, haven't we? We have all the time in the world now, I'd like to think, but at the same time I don't feel too comfortable with keeping people waiting. Especially for dinner." Truth be told, she was starving, and she missed having dinner at a table with people surrounding it whom weren't discussing the intricacies of espionage, organized crime, torture, and other things of that nature.

Robin was perfectly capable of communicating without sign language, she could read lips and she could talk, most deaf people couldn’t since they were born deaf or had lost their hearing at a young age. “It’s okay if he doesn’t, I can communicate, but if he learns it’ll be easier.” It took some dedication to learn how to sign, most people had no idea the time it took to adjust to a whole new language.

The redhead looked up at her friend who seemed to want to go inside. Dinner was probably ready. “Yeah, let’s go down.” Robin got up swiftly and got inside the house through the window. She waited a bit for May to join her so that they could go to dinner, but she was suddenly surrounded by the two twins who desperately wanted to play with May.

“May already told you.” She said with a firm voice as she crossed her arms, but this time the ghosts weren’t having it and just continued to surround her. “I think they want to talk to you during dinner May…” Robin joked before starting to walk to the first floor to see how dinner was going. As expected, her mother had ordered some Pizza. It wasn’t too hard to cook with magic, but Robin’s mother insisted on doing the old muggle way, a quite boring way to make food.

“Tonight we have pizza I see…again.”

A small smile tugged at the corner of May's lips as the twins hounded her again. She felt bad for not playing with them immediately - she had missed them as well, after all. "I'm fine with that. Come along, you two." She motioned them to follow with her head. "And we'll play a little after it. Sounds good?"

They quickly made their way downstairs, and her nostrils were hit by the delicious scent of pizza. It was enough to make her mouth water - she hadn't had the luxury of eating one in a very long time, after all - but her spirits lowered once she noticed Robin didn't seem all that enthusiastic about it, her speech implying it was a common occurrence.

"Come have lunch with me tomorrow?" She offered the redhead. "I'll make something for you, anything you'd like. Or maybe we can just go somewhere." It felt like a fair compromise, and hopefully one that would cheer her old friend up. "I can eat your portion now too, it's been a while since I've eaten any." She added as a joke, the smirk on her face indicating it.

Robin watched her mother as the woman seemed highly happy to have pizza for dinner again. Robin smiled at May. “Really? Thank you.” Not that Robin minded pizza, on the contrary, she loved pizza, but her mother seemed to be slightly addicted to it. “Yeah, you can eat mine.” Robin laughed looking at May.

“My mom is still trying to learn how Muggles cook, but she’s been slightly addicted to pizza.” She tried to explain. It was amusing how a fae as old as her mother still couldn’t grasp the technique of cooking like a muggle, even refusing to use magic to cook, Robin just thought the old fae was enjoying burning things down and wasn’t that interested in learning how to cook.

“Come on then, let’s not make you wait for pizza.” Robin joked opening the box.

May joined Robin in laughter at the idea, finding herself having to cover her own mouth at a point so not to become obnoxious. She eventually calmed down as they sat at the table, ready to eat the fabled pizza Robin's mom was apparently so fond of doing.

"I can teach her a trick or two to ensure you get some variety, if you want." It wasn't something she had been previously used to, but given that she'd have very little to do at that point, it was something she was considering picking up to do on her own. Cooking, sewing, cleaning, and other general housekeeping chores. Anything to take her mind off of heavier subjects. She didn't need them tearing at the walls she so carefully constructed around her core.

"Maybe if you eat different kinds of pizza you'll change your mind too." And just like that, the family (along with May, of course) attacked the meal. For that one evening, she could finally fool herself and think she was living a normal life, surrounded by people she loved, and that nothing could ever throw a wrench into it.