Cbox
No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
pxmBtN.png
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke

Spencer ☆ Fifth Year Kirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

"Oh, damn. They weren't bullshitting me."

'Snowflake' was the password to her dorm room? Under that weather, somebody had quite the twisted sense of humor. It brought an amused smile to Laurie's lips once she was done chuckling about it, and sure enough, a small click reached her ears - the door had been unlocked. The short stack had just gotten to the school and things were already looking up - at least people knew how to pull jokes. In Durmstrang they had their broomsticks shoved so far up their asses she was sure she could see the end of them struggle in the inside of people's throats.

Reaching for the doorknob, she twisted it and pushed the door open. As the room was slowly revealed to her eyes, she could clearly see two things: one, her roommate was in there; two, the fact that the room was unbelievably messy, and what looked like Laurie's bed-to-be was presently completely unusable from the sheer amount of crap on top of it.

"...Uh." Awkward. "Wrong room?" She tried, even if she knew that wasn't the case. Was this girl not warned Laurie was meant to arrive that day?

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentTecri
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

Max was told that she had to clean the room, her things were all over the place, especially on the empty bed that was supposed to be her new roommate bed. She began by clearing out her side of the room, putting clothes in the wardrobe instead of leaving them on display like it was a museum, she removed most of the boxes from the other bed and put everything in their designated places, laptop on the desk, books on a shelf, but by the time she reached the last box on the other bed Max got distracted with a storybook ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and completely forgot about what she had to do and began reading the book.

When the door opened she looked up at the girl. “Shit!” she said jumping off the bed. “Sorry, you’re…hmmm…Laurie is it?” she asked because if that wasn’t her roommate she was not going to keep cleaning that room. By now only a guitar, a violin, an empty backpack, and some school books were on the bed.

“Sorry, I didn’t have a roommate for a long time…I’m Max.” Max introduced herself smiling at the girl. “I’ll clean that up…” she said, not waiting for the girl to introduce herself back to her and cleared the bed, putting everything in her bed.

Laurie momentarily opened her mouth to speak, closing it as Max went on to hastily clean the room. The exchange student could only assume that the bed buried in items was her own. She couldn't blame the fellow Spencer for it either, really - she would have done the exact same thing in her position if she didn't have her fantastic school trunk, which she picked up off the floor before stepping in. Closing the door behind her, she set down the trunk near the shared closet.

"Nice to meet you. Guess I'll be imposing for the duration of this school year." She had been back in Australia for six months, which gave her more than enough time to revert to the Australian accent being her default one  - although she wished she could have been at Tallygarunga earlier. Couldn't her grandparents let her go? Did she really have to spend half a year in Glenwood? "Do you need any help there or something?" She offered, despite having resigned to just standing there awkwardly until Max was done.

Max moved most, if not all of her things from the girl’s bed, it was a mystery how she could have so many random things in her room, it was like she didn’t have a house and was living there, sadly was exactly the case, Max pretty much spent all of her time in Tally without ever going home.

She smiled at the girl before checking under the bed to see if she had missed anything. “Don’t worry I just assumed I wouldn’t be having a roommate again this year.” She commented before looking at Laurie. “Well, I think for now is mostly everything…unless you find anything under the bed.” She spoke, finally approaching her new roommate.

“Sorry for all this. Welcome to Tally, I’m your roommate, sorry they didn’t give you a better one, I guess you’ll have to deal with me.” She said, confused to why they decided to give her a roommate now, she didn’t mind the new girl, it was nice to have some company but she has been alone in that room ever since she got to Tally, she was starting to think that room was haunted.

Again? Did the school have it as a standard to leave students alone in dorm rooms for a number of years? How odd. Hell, it was quite strange to begin with that there were only two people per room - back in Durmstrang there were four, and that's why she got her trunk to begin with, as personal space was practically non-existent. Maybe they had shoved Laurie into this particular dorm room because she'd leave at the end of the year, so not to disturb other permanent residents? Could be Max was on her way out the door too.

"A better one? What makes you say that?" Outside the obvious, regardless, but she didn't really mind having a messy roommate to begin with - nothing a little routine cleaning on Laurie's part couldn't solve. Not to mention, she was quite easy on the eyes, making it all the more worthwhile to put up with the chaos. Maybe she was a problem student and that's why she was kept there on her own to begin with? Tallygarunga wouldn't be making a good impression if they decided to shack up the exchange student with the local safety hazard.

Max watched her new roommate once more, she couldn’t believe she was going to have a roommate, she didn’t hate the idea, she didn’t love it either, but she would have someone to chat with without needing to drag herself around the school to find company.

“Well, I’ve been alone since I got here, and I’m clearly not the cleanest of people and I barely go home.” She said looking at her new roommate. “So yes, you did not get a normal roommate.” She spoke looking at the girl in front of her.

Max looked at her roommate still smiling and pointed at Laurie’s trunk. “Do you need help with that or you got it all figured out?” she asked her. “I cleaned your side like I said there’s probably nothing else that belongs to me, if there is just toss it to my side.Max said. She didn’t want to be rude to the new girl.

“Also, if you need help getting around I can lend you hand around the place, it’s quite easy once you get used to it, you won’t be needing my assistance to get around the school in a couple of weeks.”  

"I'll take you as a tour guide, yeah, if that's cool." Laurie nodded. There was a good chance of her learning of some spots around town that the faculty wouldn't otherwise tell her about as security measures. Plus, getting on her roommate's good side would be for the best in the long term - Laurie wasn't particularly fond of the idea of being at odds with Max through the entire year. Exploring the place felt like a good opportunity as any to start things off on the right foot.

"Other than that, I think I'm good. Thanks." She nodded, and with that, she crouched near her trunk, opening it carefully and pulling the lid all the way up and against the wall. The container seemed strangely empty. "I'll just need a sec first, though having some space in the closet for me would be useful." Turning around, she gave the girl a light two finger salute before her feet gave a small jump backwards, into the bag. Laurie promptly fell into it - so much so, her whole body disappeared, as if she had fallen into a hole.

Indeed, she did. The girl landed on a couch, sitting, and used the rebound to get up to her feet. She had, apparently, jumped into quite a large room filled with all sorts of stuff - the couch itself, a drum kit, a variety of possessions and electronics, and the one thing she was looking for: a travel bag sitting by itself near the entry seat.

"There you are." She muttered as she crouched to retrieve it.

“It’s cool, beats walking around alone as well. Max said with a smile. She didn’t mind being alone despite liking company a bit too much, it wasn’t something that bothered her but having some company to walk around the school was always good. “So, you’re not a freshman, why come to Tally?” Max asked Laurie. She was a bit curious to why she was there, could be an exchange student or she could have been expelled from another school, anything could have happened.

Max watched Laurie carefully, she was curious about the girl, and was even more curious when Laurie opened the trunk and it was completely empty and was surprised when Laurie disappeared. “Holy cheese and crackers…” Max said in surprise. “It’s like a bag of holding.” She commented looking at the trunk with a surprised look on her face.

Wanting to get close to it but not wanting to lose her head Max crouched next to the bag. “Hey! You in one piece in there or whatever?” Max asked from the outside of the trunk.

"I'm fine." Came Laurie's voice from within the trunk. She carefully inspected her own bag as she spoke. "And to answer your question, I'm here because Durmstrang can go suck a dick." Good, everything that she needed in the way of clothing, accessories and makeup was allocated within the bag - she was ready to use the upstairs closet. Picking up the bag, she walked back to the sofa she had landed on when she came in, and held the bag up to the rectangular opening on the wall.

"Do me a favor and catch this." She said prior to shoving her bag in that opening carefully, not wanting to hit Max's face should she be looking in, holding it up for her to grab. The bag slowly pushed out of the trunk itself for Max to see, somewhat shaky from behind held up in a not so steady manner.

Max was curious about her new roommate's trunk, it was smaller on the outside, apparently. Max didn’t bother much to understand the concept of a trunk smaller on the outside with another room or perhaps the world in it. She was surprised when the girl spoke, Max had no idea where that Drumthing was but Laurie didn’t seem to like it very much. Okay…what’s that by the way? Your old school?” Max asked as she caught Laurie’s bag.

She took the bag and put it next to Laurie’s bed and moved back in front of the trunk to take a good look at it. It was just like a bag of holding but people won’t die in there. “So, what’s with this trunk of yours? It’s amazing.” Max commented as she paid attention to the trunk’s details. “It would be great just to shove everything in it and not have to worry if they are going to be sold at your parents’ next garage sale. Max commented with a certain enthusiasm.

"My current school." Laurie corrected Max through the mind-bending spatial alteration. "I'm still a Durmstrang student, I'm only here for this year. Unfortunately. Pain in the ass but it is what it is." She shrugged to herself. As she heard Max questioning her trunk, she couldn't help but wonder if Undetectable Extension Charms were a rarity on the Southern Hemisphere. With that in mind, she decided to step away from the couch, as if to give the redhead plenty of room for entry.

"That's part of the idea behind it. Feel free to jump in." She called out. It wasn't the most organized room in the world, she had to admit, but she knew where everything was, and every single item was in working order. It was good enough for her. "I spend a lot of my free time here anyway, you might as well know the place instead of thinking I vanished into thin air."

So that girl was an exchange student, so she’d only been there for one year and if everything went according to plan Max should also graduate that year, maybe that’s why they put her in that room since neither of them was going to remain in school for another year, well at least Max hopped she could graduate.

The girl told Max to jump in, at first Max was a bit cautious of it, was it safe? But eventually, she did and landed on a couch. Max’s only question now was how the hell were they going to get out of there without a ladder? “So…how do we get out?” Max asked it was the only question that mattered at the moment.

“I haven’t met a trunk that was smaller on the outside, they are usually smaller on the inside.” She said with a quizzical face as she looked around the place. “So…what now?” Max asked, still looking around hoping to see something that could help them both get out of such a place.

While the room was visibly well lit, it was unclear where the source of light was coming from - as if it was merely atmospheric. The room was wide, sporting various furniture organized in such a way that indicated it was used as an entertainment room, as well as studying. There were copious amounts of school books on a nearby bookcase, the vast majority of which in German, and leaning against it was a guitar stand holding what looked like toy guitars, with five colored buttons at the top of each neck. The most eye-catching part of that room, however, was the custom built 8-piece drum set at a corner of the room.

When asked how to get out, Laurie pointed at the opening on the wall, just above where Max had fallen. Provided they reached to it, one would be able to pass at a time. Should they have difficulty, Laurie could always put something on the couch for them to get some more height; but given that she was so short and never had much trouble to begin with, she doubted her redhead companion would.

"That's how. It's not half as hard as you're thinking it is."

Max looked around the place, it seemed that they were outside but were on the inside, a rather complicated process, what surprised Max the most was how could they have made a place like that. She understood that the Wizarding world was much more than what she had seen but to build an entire world in a trunk like a bag of holding?

When Laurie pointed at the place where Max fell through, the red-head didn’t seem too convinced that was the way out, perhaps Laurie was just messing with her, but what could she do? She’d just have to wait until her new roommate left that place to follow. “Well I just hope it is, I’m relatively attached to my life and I wouldn’t want to lose it.” She said joking a little, she never envisioned herself being stuck inside something that was smaller on the outside.

“So, aside from playing the drums, that I see over there, what else do you do here?”

Max took another look around the place, she didn’t want to look too much but she was curious about it. “How does this happen? The whole bag of holding experience without being sucked out of existence to a lifeless dimension?”

Laurie arched an eyebrow in confusion once inquired on the inner workings of the trunk. Did Tallygarunga not provide their students with one like other schools did? Granted, hers was vastly expanded beyond normal means (courtesy of Mr. Kempf) but it was still quite the normal concept to grasp within magical circles. Though, she doubted she could fault the ignorance on the girl. It was probably something the curriculum didn't delve too much into. It didn't seem like the Australian magical community was much separated from the Muggle one, unlike with the other places she'd been to; that made it somewhat understandable for them to be used to a more Muggle way of living, and less of a need to hide things around.

"This is a normal trunk, really. Have you ever heard of the Undetectable Extension Charm? It's kinda heavily monitored by the various Ministries of Magic, but I got this sweet deal right out of my dad's job. Family perks, I guess." She shrugged, opting to explain. "Usually schools in Europe give students these trunks for you to pack your stuff in when you're headed to board the schools there, because they tend to be really removed from civilization, unlike this place. So the kids have to take pretty much everything they have with them. Kinda impractical to get into a train with your every belonging, yeah? So they just shove everything into a trunk with that charm and they're good to go. This one was expanded further to make a nice room for my stuff since I happen to have a drum kit. As for what I do, well... I also play plastic guitar. Does that count?"

Max had no idea normal trunks could do that, she knew about the spell that the girl was talking about but hadn’t seen it in action before, which was super useful having something like that, Max could fit everything she owned in one of those, she didn’t even have to worry about going back to her parents to get the rest of her stuff.

“Well I never heard of stuff like that, I just brought a normal suitcase.” Max confessed. “Then again my family knows nothing of this.” She continued. Her family didn’t really want any connection to the magic world, perhaps Max would be doing them a favor if she erased their memories, but she wasn’t going to do that, not now not ever, she wasn’t going to give them the satisfaction.

“So, you guys just have schools in the middle of nowhere? No places to have fun after school? That’s boring as fuck.” Max couldn’t believe students in Europe would have to stay inside the school grounds even during their free time, no smoothies? No walks in the park? What sort of hell was that?

Max was a Muggleborn? Laurie raised an eyebrow in amusement at the tidbit of information about her roommate. She wasn't against Muggleborns, not at all - that would be hypocritical in her point of view, as she was the daughter of a Muggle herself. Durmstrang, however, held severe prejudice against them. They wouldn't be caught dead accepting such a student in their school. In a way, it made Laurie quite happy about having the opportunity to study elsewhere. She could actually befriend Muggleborns without being harassed about it on school grounds.

"Depends. We usually have to go to our parents during breaks to get written permission to visit local towns and villas under school staff supervision, but we can't really wander out on our own, no. Not like here anyway." She couldn't wait until she could take her skateboard out on a ride through town. She wasn't a country town person, exactly, but at the same time it didn't sound so bad. "Then again, I can only speak for Durmstrang. I wanted to go to Hogwarts but I ended up here instead."

Max was surprised that they needed permission to walk around towns, what kind of place was that? A prison? Max’s face to Laurie’s comment about her school said it all. Max disliked being trapped in a cage where she didn’t have freedom, Tally was much better, they could they hang around the town until their curfew, exploring it without being bound by the strict policy of not wandering off.

“Hogwarts? Tally is much better than Hogwarts trust me.” Max had no idea about Hogwarts or how the school worked, she only knew a few schools in Australia. “I’m sure you’re going to like it here, perhaps the sun might be a bit too much for you, but you’ll get used to it.” Max said. If Laurie’s school was where Max thought it was that meant that the weather was completely different.

“Why here though? If you wanted to go to Hogwarts, why did you end up?”

"This place can't touch Hogwarts." Laurie openly disagreed with Max, but didn't seem very upset about it to begin with. "There was a war going on in there twenty years ago. How cool is that? Studying where the Second Wizarding War happened would've been pretty cool, I think." Plus, it was a huge magical castle in Scotland, in the middle of the woods. What wasn't there to like? She still wanted to visit it one day, even if not in an academic capacity.

"I did sign up to go there in this exchange program, but there was an error in my admission. They thought I was signing up for Balcolyn instead since I was born in that area." That's a school she had never visited, nor cared much for; she only spent four years in Sydney anyway, and didn't remember the vast majority of it. "So they sent me here instead, since apparently this school has an exchange student program with Durmstrang, and Balcolyn doesn't. And here I am." At least she was free from that hell.

Max had no idea what Hogwarts looked like, but she had read about it. She was sure she probably didn’t last a whole month there without getting into trouble, not to mention those stairs they had were a death trap, sounded fun but the last thing Max wanted was to have a staircase telling her which direction she had to go. The war bit sounded cool, interesting to a degree. “Well, that does sound fun, but isn’t a lot more fun participating?” Max’s love for chaos will be the end of her one day

Laurie explained why she had ended up in Tally, it was weird that they confused the two as they sounded very different. “That makes no sense honestly.” She laughed at the situation, Tally and Hogwarts were different and same with Balcolyn, who would mix these names? An idiot?

“I am sure you’ll enjoy Tally, and it takes a lot to get you kicked out, I bet in Hogwarts most people here wouldn’t last that long.”