Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
August, 2019 :: Winter

Sturt ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Nature Reserve Trainee, Muay Thai InstructorKirupachi
16 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Dull.

That was the one word Chloe had to describe this extravagant event she was forced to attend, at the behest of her mother. Dull. The Sturt felt so out of place in that ball it was ridiculous. Having extricated herself from her date (how on Earth had she even gotten one?), the girl decided to cool off by an open balcony. She just needed a breather. A breather she would never get because a half-Veela decided to enter her immediate vicinity, and with her went Chloe's capacity to think, as usual.

She watched as another girl seemed to be taking a break - she knew her from talking a few times before from past circumstances, but nothing beyond that. Most of the time, it was just the fact Chloe's gaze darted to the Bourke involuntarily, much to her chagrin. How she hated that attraction...

Taking a deep breath, she attempted to steel her nerves. The bright smile she got on sight made it quite difficult.

"Hey, Chloe!" Samantha greeted the Sturt. She was all too aware of what was going on in the older girl's mind; but, for once, it didn't actually bother her. This was because she knew Chloe wouldn't do a thing about it, and she actually looked bothered by the effect the passive charm had on her. "I didn't expect to see you here. You look good!" She complimented the choice of attire - a navy dress that hugged her frame nicely, and displayed the lean musculature of the woman. Even so, it wasn't that revealing. Whoever had picked it for her definitely went for the 'give just enough to want more' look, although it was disturbing to think someone would actually think that fit the girl's vibe.

"...Thanks. You too." Awkward as she was, that was one social aptitude she did have. She then stood silently, having no means of pursuing a conversation; the ball was in Samantha's court. It was perhaps for the best, the Bourke was a natural.

"Did you come here on your own?" Probably not. The headshake confirmed her suspicion. "Who did you come with?"

"A friend of my sister's." He had invited her for some reason. Why hadn't he invited her sister instead? She'd never know. "What about you?"

"Tyson McKennis." Chloe's eyes lit up in recognition. Samantha pointed him over in the crowd inside the hall, and waved at him. "He's leaving this year, so I figured I might as well go for a last hurrah, you know? I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to dance with him at a ball like this in my life, so I have to do it tonight."

Tyson McKennis. That was an interesting choice - one she herself had considered prior to being asked to the event. Perhaps it was for the best that she didn't go through with it, as it granted Samantha the opportunity to do so. It didn't bother her that much either way; if anything, she just wanted to go back to the dormitories.

"I'm assuming you're not going back inside for a while. Mind if I keep you company? It's getting a bit exhausting." Samantha leaned on the balcony. Chloe didn't protest, but she couldn't help but hope Sam's magnetic presence didn't end up attracting her fans to that little spot...

Spencer ☆ Seventh Year ☆ StudentTecri
17 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ she/her

Not Max's favorite time of the year, but it was good enough for her to go out without breaking the rules, no curfew meant that even if she got caught outside there was nothing they could do. She had bought a blue dress for the occasion, despite not having a date to go with her didn’t mean she couldn’t look cute for the night.

She left the dorm and as she carefully and cheerfully walked towards the party, the placed seemed to be crowded and initially, Max thought it would have been great, now she wasn’t so sure. She tried to find a door and eventually ended up in the balcony.

Max noticed two familiar faces, she wasn’t exactly sure what their names were, but she knows she had some classes with some at one point in her academic life in Tally. Cheerfully she approached them. “Hello. Is it okay if I join you? I never thought I’d feel so caged inside, too many people.” She commented.

Both student's heads turned towards the person walking into the balcony. Chloe didn't recognize the girl, but Samantha had a faint inkling that she knew her from somewhere. As she approached the two, the Bourke smiled widely at her. "Please, feel free to! It's our little refuge now, we're trying to escape too." She clarified so to reassure the girl. "I'm Samantha, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Chloe watched Samantha interact with Max with bewilderment. How could she do that so easily? The Sturt was very much known for her lack of social aptitude. The girl next to her, on the other hand, was on the completely opposite side of that spectrum. Realizing several seconds had gone by without her saying much of anything, she cleared her throat. "I'm Chloe." Short and to the point. Samantha had already stated it was fine to stay so she shouldn't have to reiterate it, right?

Max smiled at the girl that had spoken, as much as Max liked people the ball was too crowded and she was grateful to the girls who didn’t mind her joining. “Samantha? That’s a pretty name.” Max said looking at the girl with a smile before turning to the other girl, she hadn’t answered so Max assumed that the other girl was also alright with Max being there. The other girl finally spoke, and Max’s smile widened a bit.

“I’m Max.” she introduced herself. “The ball is a bit crowded, I didn’t come last year I had no idea it had these many people.” She confessed taking a sit on the railing, it took a while because of the dress but she was finally comfortable, assuming she didn’t fall. “I know you guys aren’t Spencers, let me guess, Samantha you give me the vibe of a Bourke or a Flinders, I go with Bourke and Chloe here is without a doubt a Sturt.”

“So did I get it right?”

"Thank you!" Samantha beamed at Max with the compliment. The redhead seemed nice, and her presence served to boost the mood of the half-Veela somewhat. When Max took a guess at what House the youngest Hammond belonged to, said Bourke nodded energetically. "Yep! I'm a Bourke. Just completed the fourth year. What gave it away?" She couldn't help but be amused at the apparent Spencer's intuition. It could be that Samantha finally met her body cue reading match?

Chloe, however, wasn't too pleased with the correct guess - it made her somewhat self-conscious. If there was anything well known about the Sturts, it was their reputation. Had she messed up in such a way that she was likened to it? Reflexively, she looked at Samantha as if searching forever. Something she did not expect, however, was for the Bourke to read her gaze so easily.

"You're right about Chloe here as well, but she's on the harmless side of the Sturt crop." Samantha decided to speak up despite feeling like she didn't have to for the sake of easing said Sturt's mind. "I'm surprised I haven't met you before, though. My cousin is a Spencer, so it's not uncommon for me to swing by your area..."

Max was happy that she had guessed right, she couldn’t say what gave Samantha away, there was a thing in the girl that didn’t quite fit well with a Flinder. “I can’t really say for sure, you give that sort of Bourke vibe.” Max confessed, there was no trick behind it, she just happened to have guessed it correctly.

The red-head turn to the other girl who seemed to be quiet and not saying if Max was right or wrong, it was a bit odd but perhaps she was embarrassed? It was when Samantha spoke that Max turned to her once more. “I don’t mind the Sturts that much, a couple are a bit … not my type of people.” She laughed before looking surprised at Samantha. “Really? Well, I’m usually in my room or outside, I have no roommate so I can do whatever I want in there sometimes I don’t even come out.” It wasn’t a lie, it sounded like they didn’t want to give Max a roommate, one more year and hopefully, she was going to be out of there.

“Who’s your cousin? If you don’t mind me asking.” Max asked out of curiosity, almost like she had met the student and just ignored it completely, it wouldn’t be the first time doing that.

"I see. Thank you." Samantha took being associated with her house as a compliment. She was very proud of being a Bourke - not that she had anything at all against other houses, but it was something that gave her a sense of belonging and purpose. To be associated with them was to be recognized for her efforts, and it made her quite content, as displayed by the bright smile plastered upon her lips.

"I understand." Chloe spoke up, ultimately deciding not to take it personally after the reassurance from both girls. "I wish I didn't have to handle some of them myself. But since it's my house, I have no choice." She felt a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder, by the Bourke next to her, as means of comfort. While not pulling away, she wished that Samantha wouldn't touch her as it made resisting her worse; almost as if having her mind read, the girl pulled her hand away and neatly clasped her hands behind her back instead.

"Amber. Amber Cross. She's the Seeker for your Quidditch team, so I'm sure you've seen her around somewhere." Even if she hadn't been, the girl was notoriously difficult to miss due to her loudness and rambunctious behavior. "She's not here today, unfortunately, since she got hurt a few days ago." Not that she'd come to the ball anyway, Samantha figured. The young Spencer absolutely detested such formal events and wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Max smiled at both Chloe and Samantha. “I mean, just because you’re in the same house as them, doesn’t mean you have to like them.” Max knew that all too well, there were some people in her house that she didn’t like, it wasn’t a complete dislike it was more people with who she couldn’t relate and made interactions a bit harder. Max’s smile grew as she watched the interactions between the two, they looked like good friends.

Samantha replied to Max’s question and that’s when Max couldn’t believe that Amber was that girl’s cousin. “I met her, I met her a few days ago actually, on a bench in the park.” Max commented, believing it was the exact same girl that she had met earlier that week.

A nod came from Chloe at the statement, and not much of note was said; Samantha, however, had her two cents to throw in. "I think the Sturts are just given a really bad reputation they don't deserve. They come across as more misunderstood than anything to me, but because a lot of them have a bit of a secretive nature, it's hard to get close to begin with. It's easier to depict people you don't relate to as the devil, you know? I think that's where it comes from, for the most part." Perhaps it was too innocent on her part, she realized, but at the same time she was always one to believe everyone had some sort of good in them. There was no way that the Sturts were just full of personified black holes of positivity.

The Bourke's eyes squinted at how specific Max had been. "On a bench?" Samantha's head tilted in confusion, believing there to be more to the story than Max let on - otherwise, she would've just stated 'the park'.

Max looked at Sam and how she spoke. “Doesn’t everyone have a secretive self?” Max had one herself, she wasn’t going to go into details with Sam, but everyone had a secret self, either when they got angry or hurt, or just to avoid getting hurt. “We all do it, but sometimes personalities clash I suppose.” she didn’t hate or dislike the Sturts, well most of them, but they lacked some sense of humor but some, some were smart, and they knew how to prank others.

Sam’s question didn’t make much sense, but perhaps Max should elaborate. “Yeah, so she was sleeping...I thought it was so weird, I ended up poking her and then after a sign of life, she woke up. She was hurt and was terrified someone would find out…” Max tried to explain, but it wasn’t a normal event, not many people fall asleep in the park as Amber did. “Why do you ask?”

"Mm. I suppose everyone has secrets." Samantha agreed with Max, but noticed how Chloe seemed confused at that statement. She never really had anything to hide, and had taken up the habit of answering everything with brutal honesty, regardless of context and inquirer. Why did people feel the need to keep things a secret? She would probably never know.

So it seemed that Max had found Amber when she first got hurt - it had to be, because the young Spencer hadn't stepped foot outside her house ever since. "Oh, it just sounded very specific, is all." Samantha responded with honesty. "As it turns out, her injury is pretty serious. She's bedridden at the moment, and we don't know if she'll be able to make it to Christmas celebrations. I should visit her tomorrow..."

Chloe couldn't help but be somewhat impressed, in a morbid way - she didn't know this girl, but if she was a Quidditch player, it meant she was an athlete of some capacity. To get stuck in bed over an injury meant, in all likelihood, that something was at risk or that she was suffering from an ungodly amount of pain; being an athlete herself, the Sturt couldn't help but sympathize.

“Yes, or at least it’s not something they advertise to everyone.” Max shrugged. Max didn’t have secrets, there were things that were general knowledge and there were other things she didn’t advertise but if the right question was asked, she wouldn’t lie, could eventually try to avoid the question but that would be the only thing she’d do.

Samantha finally replied to Max about Amber. “I told her to go to the hospital, or the nurse since it would be on campus but no, she wanted to go home and hide her injuries.” Max shrugged again, she could have used a spell but would get in trouble with the ministry, she wouldn’t want to have to deal with that kind of trouble.

“Can you tell her the redhead from the park says she’s an idiot please?” Max smiled at Samantha before turning her attention to Chloe, who seemed quiet.

"Her mother is a doctor, actually. From what I heard, she caught her trying to sneak into the house, so, Amber should be fine in the long run. I'm sure Mrs. Townsend knows what she's doing." Samantha tried to reassure Max, even if she didn't look that awfully concerned. If anything, it at least gave them a potential friend in common, and the Bourke was always all in to making new bonds.

The little shot at the young Spencer made Samantha giggle. "Hah, I will. Or maybe you can, if you'd like to go visit. She's not moving for a little while." Samantha had lost count by then at how many times people had called Amber stupid for what she used to do; she thought the Spencer wasn't half bad, but she could most definitely see why people thought of her like that. At least Max didn't look like she meant it in a malicious manner.

"...What?" Chloe felt the need to question as she felt Max's eyes on her, wondering if she had something on her face.

That probably explained why Amber refused to go to the hospital, and probably why she was so scared of going home and tell her mother. “Well, at least she’s alright, I suppose that’s the most important thing.” Max tried to remain positive about the situation, but earlier she wasn’t so sure if the girl was going to be alright or not, now, she had the confirmation that Amber was going to be alright.

“Thanks, I’ll be able to call that to her face then.” Max said with a cheeky smile before turning her attention on Chloe. “Nothing, you just seem quiet.” Max knew the girl was quiet, but she was there, and they were sort of ignoring her. “Are you guys excited for the new school year?”

"Uh, sorry. I guess..." Chloe muttered the last part. She felt a bit embarrassed over being a complete zero when it came to social interactions, that situation being just another example of her failures, even if she managed to keep a straight face about it. She needed to make some sort of proactive effort; while she was left to think about what to say, exactly, Samantha took the initiative to reply to Max as always.

"Well... Not too excited, to be honest." Samantha admitted, the question having lowered her spirits a smidge. "I barely squeaked by this year. I'm sort of scared how I'll end up next year." She spoke, followed by a nervous chuckle. "Though I am excited to see the new batch of first years! It's always magical to see them wandering around the school for the first time, pun fully intended." She concluded with a grin, picking up her mood from the ground like it was no issue.

"...A bit." Was 'excited' the right word? "Not for school itself, but... I'll be starting to work a bit in the local Reserve soon. I'm looking forward to that. But since it'll be SPIDER year for me as well, I don't know how I'll manage the workload." That, along with training every day... Her mother's expectations would be the death of her.

"What about you?" Samantha asked the Spencer. "What year are you in? Any plans?"

Max looked at Chloe with a smile “You don't need to apologize, I just don't want you to feel left out.” Max replied still smiling at the girl. Some people have more trouble than others on social interactions. Before Max could say anything else to reassure the girl Sam began talking. Samantha seemed to have the same problem as Max since the redhead wasn't even sure how she had managed, chances were, she was going to stay behind a year.

Chloe replied to Max, it was impressive, if she did manage the workload it would be great. Max was going to reply to Chloe, but Sam’s question distracted her. “Me?” Max chuckled unsure how to answer to the question. “I suppose but I don’t even think I’ll graduate this year.”

"I'm okay." Chloe reassured. After a light bump to her own elbow, however, she spoke up again. "Thanks." Sam let out a noiseless sigh of relief as the Sturt had managed to pick up on at least *one* clue. There was hope! She wouldn't stay clueless forever, right?

"Why's that?" Samantha voiced in concern. It was a feeling that kept her up at night quite regularly for a couple years at that point, and she didn't exactly look forward to spending the next several years drowning in that kind of helplessness (or any for that matter).

"I can help you study if you'd like." Chloe said to the both of them. Tutoring was one of her strengths, she realized. The content Samantha had to go over was very basic for the Sturt; as for Max's, it might need a bit more work due to the year difference between the pair, but if she had helped Tyson out, she could certainly help Max as well.

Max smiled at the Sturt and then at the Bourke girl knowing what Sam had done. Not that Max was an expert on social situations, her overwhelming personality was a lot to take in, most people usually avoid her because of it. When Sam spoke, Max shrugged. “I dunno, me and magic we seem to have a slight disagreement, I manage for the most part…” Max also didn’t study, she believed she was a failure and wouldn’t even try to be more than just that.

She looked at Chloe with a smile. “For real? Thanks Chloe!” Max smiled brightly at her fellow classmate. “As long as it’s not wasting your time, I know you have a lot.” Max didn’t want the girl to help her while forgetting about her own things, it wouldn’t be fair, but if Chloe could manage Max would be grateful.

There didn't seem to be much of a physical reaction out of Chloe when Max beamed at her for the suggestion, face remaining blank. She then shook her head with the notion of wasting her time. "It's not the first time I do this. I don't mind." She didn't know how her schedule was going to look the following year just yet, but she would make it work, certainly. She always did.

"...Well... I concur. Thank you, Chloe." Samantha spoke with a nod and a gentle smile. She had lots of trouble studying. Was prone to making far too many mistakes, got distracted very easily, and didn't seem to retain an awful lot, no matter how many long hours she put into the various subjects taught at that school. Perhaps being taught by one of the top students in the school would help her case; but, on the other hand, Meadow's tutoring wasn't doing much of a dent itself either. Could be that Travis was right and she had some sort of disorder going on?

"No problem."