School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

Professor Head of Spencer ☆ Professor of Elemental Magic, Head of Spencer✩ Kaitore
27 year old Halfblood Human ☆ HE/HIM

Another wonderful day of class, of course, he used 'Wonderful' in a different meaning and not at all sarcastically. It had been during the semester where he focused on the Element of Fire, which had always been a blaze and blast for him. It had only been added on to the fact that he had been able to not only share that enthusiasm with his students but also to really see how they would handle something that always had the potential to backfire in the worse of ways. While it had been something that he should have concerned himself with like some kind of old biddy, he found that students had been able to manage and assist one another which meant that accidents and occurrences had actually been much less than projected last year. This year had bolstered the same chances or that had been what his hope was considering the various new faces and even some old ones that he'd most likely be dealing with. 

Derrick still chose to keep textbooks out of the classroom, leaving those as more study material to gain a firmer grasp on an academical level rather than a practical level. Class had been the area where everyone could practice the applications and be okay to make those mistakes, to mess up and cause the kind of hiccups that would occur and know that there would be others around to not only manage it but mitigate the potential damage that would occur otherwise. 

Due to the hotter weather outside he decided to hold the class on the inside with several wards traced around the room that would act as an air conditioning for the room. He had been sitting on the top of a desk and both hands pressed against the surface of it while he leaned in a casual form. As the first student crossed the threshold his lips parted to speak. "Hey there class and good morning! You know the drill, drop your bags and stuff on the hooks in the back and take only your wand and maybe a bottle of water or two. Oh, and your hats. We may actually need to go outside for this little demonstration of the day. Don't worry, good ole Professor Sparky has an idea to keep you all warm and the mean sun out of your face and from burning you to little cinders.

He leaned forward with both of his arms not resting on the edge of his thighs and a smile that seemed to grow wider by the second. "Today, we'll be going through a few series of practical uses for fire. Depending on how far I really want to go with it will depend if we have to step outside in that scorch. But I don't actually see that happening. I guess you can consider this phase more of a kind of: 'Survival's Guide of Fire - Things you may end up needing to use it for.' Mostly the kind of things that most Wizard's may encounter if they still have that drive for journey, adventure, and exploration." His hand rose up as if to halt any potential protests even if no one would actually raise any form of objection or snarky response. "Now, I know what some of you may end up thinking! 'But, Sparky! I don't like to explore stuff! It sounds dirty or messy!' In which I say, 'You never know what life will throw at you. Always be prepared!'."  

It still had been the early stages of the School Year and he wasn't sure everyone held names of their classmates in their heads just yet. "Now, for the last time for this week, Let's go down the line and just say our name and. . . Hm. . . Ah, what made you snag Elemental Magic as a course! If it was just to 'Fill a slot'? Be honest, I won't get mad."

Sturt ☆ Family Busybody★ LilyCat
16 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

"Hello Uncle Professor Sparky," Came the bright greeting from the teenager with the jet black hair and different coloured eyes as she entered the class room. While she had been anxious about doing classes with wizarding students, she had at least practised how to pretend to do magic the same way they did with the help of her mother. And at least starting with a teacher she knew might help her to feel a little more confident.

Lorelei found herself a seat in the circular arrangement and sat down after having set her bag up. She remained generally quiet while others filed in then, smiling politely at those she didn't know, and warmer with a small wave to anyone she did. Once it seemed that class was about to begin, she then paid attention, or at least partial attention while she thought on the first chosen element and the time of year. Thought she snapped to as introductions began.

"Um, I am Lorelei and this will be my first year of study at Tallygarunga, I have been placed in Sturt and am in Sixth Year class," The girl began, before then continuing, "I did choose this class because I am familiar with elemental manipulation and because you are the teacher." Another bright smile for the man, before then came the usual curious expression from the girl when she had something she wanted to know on her mind.

"But may I ask why you would choose to focus on fire during this time of year when it is dry and we have heatwaves and it is the most dangerous time of year for bush fires and there are many total fire ban days? It would seem more logical to save it for winter when it is cold and we wish to warm up, and to study water during this time, and play fun cooling water games," Lei's head tilted as she offered her upfront and honest thoughts. He had said to be honest. And though it would seem to anyone who didn't know her that she was perhaps being a smart arse, it was a genuine question and personal thought on what made more sense to her.

Bourke ☆ Apprentice BakerKirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

"Where is she...?"

Samantha stood near the entrance of Tallygarunga, growing more and more restless by the second. She had scheduled with Amber to meet up there before heading to class but the Spencer was nowhere to be found; at that point she had blown up the girl's smartphone and there was no answer either. Though, given that she and her cousins hadn't been pulled from school that morning yet over something serious happening, it meant that the bright eyed daredevil was safe, right?

Right?

It was about time for class to start. If she waited any longer, she'd be late; and on a more positive note, perhaps it could be that she missed Amber completely and the girl had already gone in and headed to class. With that dash of hope in her heart, Samantha finally abandoned her post and made her way to the Eureka underground hallway, where the class they meant to attend was held - Elemental Magic. Easily one of her favorites, although she hoped she didn't have to do unspeakable things to a plush toy again that year.

As she got there, a few students had already walked in and most were still outside; try as she might, she couldn't find her cousin. Wading through the sea of colleagues to make it to the front of the pack, she peeked into the classroom. Once again she was met by disappointment, and the normally cheerful girl sighed in defeat, inadvertently missing the newcomers already present. She had to tell herself that the girl was alright - she probably just had a detour or something. Yes, that had to be it. No freak injuries again, just a detour. Or maybe she slept in.

"Good morning, Professor Ackers." There was a lack of the usual pep in her voice despite trying to look as cheerful as usual. As instructed, she placed her bag where it belonged. Checking her phone one last time in vain for good measure, she turned it off and retrieved her wand from its holster, as well as the hat just in case. She also took a bottle of water, even if she didn't actually need one - being half-Veela did wonders for your heat and fire resistance. She didn't even need the hat, but it was still a school standard.

Sitting down, she waited for some of the other students to speak before taking her turn. While having to reintroduce herself every year wasn't something that actually bothered her, it wasn't something she felt particularly excited about that day. "I'm Samantha. I picked this subject because it's one of the few I'm actually good at." The admission made her feel uneasy, but she managed to put a smile on her face. "At least, half the time. Also, I second my colleague." She motioned towards the girl she now realized she didn't recognize, whom spoke up about the fire ban. It just sounded like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sturt ☆ Sturt Quidditch Team BeaterKirupachi
17 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

What a pain in the ass. Rachel wasn't used to having classes at all anymore and had practically forgotten how much she hated them in general. Especially that early! It should be outlawed. The redhead barely got herself out of bed that day before her alarm blared out in the dorm room, reminding her that she had to hurry or else she'd be late. It had been a whole year and a half since she was last subjected to such torture.

Yet there she was. At least it was her favorite class of the curriculum.

Now clad in her uniform (unlike the class she attended in the previous term) - suspenders for annoying effect - the girl made her way from the Tarnagulla Centre to the Eureka Underground Hallway, and to the class she was looking forward to the most. She didn't even bother saying good day to the teacher, going immediately to the aforementioned hooks to get rid of the extra weight. With the required items in hand, she sat down next to an acquaintance and waited for her turn to speak.

"Right. I'm new 'round these parts." Came the Irish accent as if to emphasize her statement. "Name's Rachel. My last school was Ilvermorny. Was placed in Sturt outta somebody's idea of a sick joke I guess." She shrugged before continuing. "Picked this shebang 'cause I'm bloody good at it. Plus, favorite subject through the years. Might as well."

While she added no comment to the point raised of that class' theme being a very bad idea in the given circumstances, the pasty teenager couldn't help but agree. Two Summers, two heatwaves, two hells, she didn't need an enhanced chance of a nosebleed or heatstroke. High temperatures didn't gel with her at all, even if she was fond of seeing things burned to smithereens.

Sturt ☆ School & Sturt Quidditch Team Captain, Chaser & Dueling Club CaptainKirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Finally. The break was over and Lisa was free to throw herself head first (sometimes literally) at her studies, dueling and Quidditch. Sweat, blood and tears were her life energy - and a much needed distraction from what her mind tended to wander towards. Every single vacation was always a surefire path to self-destruction unless the blonde found some sort of way to keep herself obsessively busy, an endeavor she hadn't had a great success in during the past month. As such, she was particularly relieved (and overjoyed) at hitting the books at last, and was one of the first in line for when the classroom doors first opened.

"Happy New Year, Professor." She couldn't recall if she had told him such a thing in the past month. Hell, she couldn't recall if she met him at all, such a blur it had been. Unlike others, she only bothered to take the wand with her to her seat, crossing her legs as she did. No pain, no gain. Shortly thereafter she saw a familiar redhead sit next to her. After she spoke, it was her turn.

"I'm Lisa." It irked her that she had to introduce herself every time. People should have this sort of knowledge by default, in her point of view. Nevertheless, she continued. "I picked this subject to better excel in my dueling activities. I'd say it's helping, don't you think?" A small, almost sadistic smirk played on her lips. She was the Captain of her team, and she took great pleasure in reminding others of it - means to attain the position notwithstanding, of course.

"Hey." She attempted to grab Rachel's attention as the class moved on to another student, keeping her voice down. The redhead looked at her with curiosity. "Thought you might want to know the tryout is tomorrow afternoon. Bring your bat along, will you?"

"Mm." Was the answer she got. To have such a competent batter join the team was something to look forward to, even if it ruffled her feathers a little that Lisa herself had to try out for her post as well. But maybe she should use it as an opportunity for making a play at the position of Captain there as well. It would look lovely in a scholarship application...

Professor Head of Spencer ☆ Professor of Elemental Magic, Head of Spencer✩ Kaitore
27 year old Halfblood Human ☆ HE/HIM

"Heya to each of you!" His head tilted to the side as the question had been offered up and a soft nod flowed from him as he listened in on the critique offered for the choice made. 

"Fair question, if you believe that Elemental Magic is solely a class for fun and good times then it probably isn't the class you might think it is. I will be frank, Elemental Magic is the study of not only the use of Elements in Magic but the interaction of Elements as a whole. Much like Animals, the primal elements socialize with the environment around them - We aren't going to be spell slinging twenty-four seven, every session of every moment. Fire, As much as it burns and destroys it also clears and creates a place for Earth to rebuild and nurture, like wise Water becomes necessary so that the Earth can push the full nutrients and Wind giving us the benefit of the hard work of the prior three." His arms would cross against his chest and a serious expression would settle on his face. "If you'd read the syllabus then you understand: The intention of the Class is not only to give you a practical chance at utilizing the elements but also to make you aware of the true extent of the dangers. To understand the greatest aptitude of this you must see the cause it has naturally in the environment and the ecosystems. You're expected to explore, research, to come to an understanding on when, where, and how to use these useful but dangerous tools as you are with any form of magic.

He'd then shake his head lightly. "You cannot witness how crucial the choices you'd have to make with these elements until you've seen some of them in the worse case scenarios. So that you understand not only the responsibility to nature but that to yourself to manage and mandate, yourselves. To learn about ways to better safeguard, to better defend, to better mitigate the potential and most likely dangers. When you're learning to research and understand anything you never do it in an environment where it's least effective, you don't get a true grasp of factors and data. The elements are a beast of their own. By the time you are all actually ready and prepared to put to practice that knowledge? The heat would have long tapered off as we grow closer to March.

A smirk then pressed on his lips. "And if you all think the only time you can use fires is outdoors in the heat? Then you've all got a lot more of an imagination to build. Luckily for you? I'm good at being creative when it comes to making things of use." Hands pressed along the edge of the desk while he leaned against it. "In case you haven't noticed: The terms are designed so that you can slowly see the changes and effects each have in the environment in the area of research and study portion of the class. Proceeding one, after another. Even as we go into the Term One studies you will see the after effects of Wind's effects in different parts of the country in your everyday lives."

Repository Caz
15 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Hugo'd wander into the classroom, looking lost as per usual. He really wished they'd given him a map or something because his sense of direction was actually shocking. Since he'd never been in this class before, obviously, the German copied the others in removing his backpack and hanging it up. His uniform sleeves had been pushed to his elbows due to the heat, so he was okay there. After retreiving his wand, Hugo would yet again follow the group to the line where he waited until it got to him. He was momentarily surprised when he saw the females who had unfortunately hit a baseball at his forehead, and given him a nasty bruise, in the class as well. He saluted them before speaking in his German-lilted accent, even if he was capable of putting on a British accent. 

"Hi. Hugo, Flinder. Newbie, never done Elemental magic before. It sounded alright.

The boy waited whilst others introduced themselves, then listening to the teacher. He thought it was pretty interesting, as a whole. It amused him that the professor called himself 'sparky' and made a mental note to ask why at a future time. Right now, though, he was content to just hide at the back of the group and watch, like the wallflower he was, rather than getting involved in the discussion.

Bourke ☆ Apprentice BakerKirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

Samantha agreed with most of the explanation provided, nodding along as Derrick spoke in understanding. However, there were a few bits here and there that concerned her. As such, she decided to continue the discussion as respectfully as she could, not wanting to stir up any sort of conflict first thing in the morning.

"While I get that we must be aware of the dangers of the elements in practical use, is it wise to actually put students through those dangers? Shouldn't we stick to a controlled environment, at least presently? Even if the goal isn't to do anything we might end up regretting, some might be lured in by the fact there's a fire ban ongoing and might want to cause mischief." Tell someone they shouldn't do something, and they probably will. For as much as Samantha disliked the fact, it was a very common thing in that school and often led to disaster.

"Not to mention a few students are particularly sensitive to high temperatures. It might not be that good of an idea to go out in the open in this heat, even with some sort of protection... We should stay here, I think." She sincerely hoped not one of them would have to put the hats Derrick requested to use that day. Even if it didn't affect her much at all, she could see how uncomfortable some students were with the temperature and accumulated sweat - and they were indoors.

Sturt ☆ Sturt Quidditch Team BeaterKirupachi
17 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

Rachel very much agreed with the points raised against performing Fire magic outside during such a hellish day - she was going to die! Her pasty self wasn't created to endure such torture. She was one of the few that the Bourke had detected as being deeply uncomfortable as it was, but she was trying to maintain a straight face and not visibly struggle through that class; the day was just starting after all, and it wasn't like the heat had actually reached its peak. Plus, they were underground, effectively. Heat rises, and she was fairly sure she was better off than all the folks stuck up in the Southern Cross Tower. She blew some air upwards to cool herself somewhat, but that was the full extent of her agony for the time being.

Lisa, however, didn't agree at all. In fact, she was becoming quite restless at the whole nuisance of a discussion. 'I don't know, maybe stop being pathetic weaklings and actually do the material and shut up.' The Sturt bit her lip not to speak her mind and further derail the class, but her annoyance was visibly noticeable as she rolled her eyes when further questioning ensued. 'Pain in the ass...' She didn't seem to notice Hugo's arrival and subsequent salute; Rachel did, and merely nodded in acknowledgement.