School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

Tally Staff ☆ Tallygarunga Librarian★ Sadrienne
40 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

The race was on.

No one knew how the tradition had started. According to Alan Burdett, it had been a thing when he was in school. Adele didn't give a damn how or why or when it started, only that it was. It was Donut Wednesday, and she was damned if she was going to miss out on all the good donuts. At the stroke of eleven, she was out from behind her library desk, murmured a quick farewell to Caleb (made him promise not to leave the office and go wandering off down the road, though he had Sapphire with him so it was unlikely he would anyway), and high-tailed it out of the library and down to the Gawler Building with DJ cradled in one arm.

Some of the few students that had remained over summer moved aside to let her pass, but they weren't surprised or confused by her fast walk. Across the school, professors and school staff were walking as fast as they could, each with the same goal. Alan had the shortest walk of all of them and you knew that he could sink five or six donuts before anyone even got near the door. Hopefully he would be too busy and distracted with his new baby to race to the staffroom, but they'd been wrong about that before. Adele sure wasn't letting DJ be a distraction.

Donut Wednesday was one of the few good, pure, and truly untainted things in the world. Around her was misery and drama and chaos, but Donut Wednesday was immune to all of that. Adele quickened her step as she got into the Gawler Building, noticing that Alan's office door was ajar (as always) and Alan was still behind his desk. That was unexpected. Finding Alan doing his work at any point in time, let alone when there were perfect rings of sugary deliciousness to be had... Adele knew she had to sieze the advantage. Sneaking a chair from a nearby empty office, she caused Alan's office door to swing shut as if by the wind---and jammed the chair under the handle.

Sure, magic was great for locking someone inside a room... but in the end, you really couldn't  go past a genuine physical obstruction.

That done,  she raced up the stairs and into the staffroom.

"We did it, DJ," she said, breathless with wonder at the giant pile of sweet rewards that sat in the middle of the staffroom table. "We're first."

And without further ado, the librarian heaped herself a small plate worth and found her favourite chair. Who would be next? Would Alan ever escape? Had she accidentally locked his children in the office with him? She would find out soon enough.

Tally Staff ☆ Headmaster's Assistant, Missus, and Child Rearer★ LilyCat
26 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

"Not quite first..." Came a voice from a table hidden slightly by the open door. There sat Audrey, champion of all thing sweet and delicious, and who also hadn't let her infant distract her from what day it was. She already had a plate of very chocolatey looking donuts sat in front of her, one of the sweets already half eaten, while little Merrilea was cradled in her arm. Sat in another chair at the same table was Octavia, who was as in tune with the day as all the women appeared to be right now. The young girl had the same donuts as Audrey, and was too busy eating to be able to say much, but the new mother gestured to the free seat for Adele, if the other woman wanted to join them, and adjusted the two month old infant in her arms, who was looking very chubby and well fed right now snoozing away.

"I'm surprised you beat Alan here, to be honest, but I think he wanted to get some things done quickly," The young woman mused quietly. She was personally quite happy to be back at work, even though she didn't have to be. She could have been taking another six months off, but what was she going to do with that? The kids were allowed to come to the school and hang out in the office with them, so why not make use of that? Besides, Alan wouldn't be able to run things properly without her there to help. She kept things organised to make it easier for him.

Of course, that didn't mean Audrey wasn't going to take advantage of the whole 'new mum' thing, so that she could wander out from the office early to get her favourite donuts first. She had a couple of extra ones tucked aside on her plate to save for Alan, in case he didn't make it before they were mostly eaten, but for the most part had left enough of the ones that people liked the most there. On top of that, she had a small tub of ice cream, which she was dipping her donuts into. It was hot, of course ice cream was essential.

"How was your break anyway?" Audrey asked, "Met many of the new teachers yet? There's a couple this year. Hopefully they saw the notice about donut Wednesday posted on the Staff board over there." She nodded toward the noticeboard over near the kitchen area, where they could leave messages for the other staff. She then bounced Merrilea a little as the baby stirred, and took another bite of her sweet treat.

Professor Teaching Staff ☆ Professor of Ancient Rune StudiesGuest
38 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

Walking down the main corridor where everywhere in Kookynie merged together - classrooms, commons areas, dorms, instructors' offices - Professor Lyell was satisfied with the day's progress in Ancient Runes. Her supplies had come in, the three sets of runes she used as teaching guides were in place and the Rune Hall was ready for classes to start. All I need to do, she mused as she walked past the commons board, is write up the  --- hello, what is this?

Pausing her step, she stopped and read the pamphlet on the board and thought musedly, Donut Wednesday, huh? I could use something sweet, she thought as she quickly read it, turned and began walking towards the exits of Kookynie Halls. Taking a moment to re-orient herself with the grounds, she began walking towards Gawler, where Tallygarunga's staff and headquarters offices were located at; she'd been there twice already - once to talk to Headmaster Burdett and once to get her orientation packet from the school - but she hadn't been to the staffroom yet. This will make three times I've been there, she humorous thought as she walked quickly over, pausing once to keep her fedora from flying off her head as she rounded a corner path towards Gawler.

Entering the building, she bounded past the foyer, past the front desk and past the Headmaster's office - chuckling at the sight of a chair propped up against the Headmaster's Door - and arrived at the staffroom, pausing to take off her fedora and roll it up, sliding it underneath her belt. Dressed in cargo pants, a short-sleeve dark blouse and Sketchers that had definitely seen a little bit of wear in the field, the professor looked as thought she'd just left an excavation site or field expedition locale rather than having just left her Ancient Runes lecture hall minutes earlier, some of her numerous tattoos sticking out from underneath the blouse sleeves.  

It didn't bother her in the least, however, as she stepped inside and walked calmly over to the middle of the room, where the donuts were at. Taking a few from the plate, she set them on a plate for herself and walked over to a nearby free chair and sat down, taking a few moments to relax and savor the sweets. "Afternoon, everyone," she said, waving in a friendly, getting-to-know-you kind of way as she leaned back in her chair, her plate of donuts resting on a knee as she waited to see if anyone would reply....

"The notice... you idiots put a notice up?"

As if Donut Wednesday wasn't already competitive enough, Alan and Audrey had made it public knowledge? Adele groaned and rolled her eyes. What if the new teachers were terrible and she didn't like them? Adele didn't really like anyone much, so the chances were high. Plus she knew she was going to end up getting side-eyed once they all met Lauren and the long backstory that went along with that. Lauren was already making herself insufferable and Adele wondered if the girl was as bad at home as she was at school. She lifted a hand and waved to Tavi, who lifted a sticky hand in return.

This was the worst. Today was the worst. Today, Adele had noticed that in a certain light, DJ's minimal hair had a reddish-auburn tinge to it. The poor kid was going to be a ginger. Adele had always teased David about being a ginger for that same reddish hue, even though his hair had grown dark enough that it was difficult to pick. Was that natural, or had David been trying to hide the fact that he had no soul? Adele still wasn't sure. She suspected he was covering it up. He'd never given her a straight answer. He never would. That, along with so many unanswered questions, still hurt.

The door opened again for another donut intruder. A new professor. Great. She eyed the unfamiliar woman with a sharp and critical eye, the worn shoes, the tattoos, cargo pants? Adele scowled slightly, adjusting her deep blue blouse to hide the remnants of baby spit. You had to handle new professors in a very particular way. You couldn't just be friends with them. They had to earn it. Otherwise they didn't give two hoots about taking trolley loads of books from the library and letting them get lost or gather dust, you had to put the fear of the librarian in them. 

"I hope you don't treat the books like you do your shoes," she said coolly, forgoing any sort of pleasantries. It was the best she could think of in the moment, she didn't know enough about this one yet. Those shoes did look stupidly comfortable, though. The pants, too. And Adele found herself wishing she could get a tattoo that wouldn't vanish itself away on her pale skin. She crossed one leg over the other, showing off the good-looking but incredibly uncomfortable strappy heels she wore. The ones that made the clicking sound that sent students running for cover. 

"We have a very high standard for book care here," Adele murmured, looking down as DJ shifted in her arms and was sick all over her shirt again. Merlin's balls today was terrible.

• Love it! 1

"I wouldn't worry about the books; my father was a librarian back in County Antrim and he used to tell people that you could tell a book's value by the dust. Less dust, more value and more usage," Professor Lyell replied, a faint smile crossing her face in-between bites. It wasn't mere sophistry either; as Head Librarian of the Antrim Regional Library, Clarence Lyell was a stickler for books and reading as evidenced by the quote above his office, "The most dangerous thing in the world is an educated, learned man."

Setting her plate on the table next to her, she continued. "Normally, I don't dress as if I just came in out of the field; I'm still getting my bearings around here and all," pausing to cheerfully wave at both of the small infants she saw across from her, "and in those situations I'd rather err on the side of comfortable style than anything else. As for the shoes," she continued, "again comfortable style over anything else. Doesn't mean I won't dress to the nines if necessary; besides, under the professorial robes, how is anyone going to know what you are wearing?" she said with a slightly rakish smile as she picked up the small plate of donuts and took a decent bite out of another donut, pausing to take a napkin and wipe a spot of chocolate from the corner of her mouth. "Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way, I'm Professor Tamara Lyell, the new professor of Ancient Rune Studies," pausing as she looked at both the librarian - she assumed the one woman was a librarian by her manner of acting - and another woman sitting nearby, both of whom had infant children with them, "and you are, by chance..."

"We sure did, but we also doubled the number of donuts that we have brought in as well... or maybe tripled," Audrey thought for a moment, her features shifting to a momentarily confused expression before she simply shrugged. The arrival of another caused a bright smile to tug at Audrey's lips, however and she offered an easy wave to the other teacher, though the moment Adele began her rant she couldn't help but roll her eyes while an amused smirk pulled at her lips and she managed a light chuckle and a wink at Tavi, who giggled in response. Waiting for Adele to finish her explanation of the library and her apparent ruling of the roost, Audrey lifted a hand to Tamara.

"I'm Audrey," The young woman said easily, "Batman's assistant, and the real person who actually keeps this place somewhat organised. Don't let my age or the kids fool you," Audrey grinned, and then chuckled as Tavi grinned at the nickname for her father, "This is Tavi, and Merri. Welcome to the school. I'd have probably been the first one to meet you and see you to Alan, but I've been a little busy since the end of last year." She nodded toward the infant girl in her arm, who was now awake and just looking around a little. "Speaking of, I'm surprised that he isn't here yet. You wanna check on your dad, Tavi? I get worried when he's paying so much attention to his work that he forgets about donuts." She lifted her brows a little, but then turned her gaze back to Tamara.

"How're you finding the place? Enjoying the Australian heat? It took me a long time to get used to it when I moved down here."

"Is that so." Adele's clipped reply was supposed to sound unfriendly. But it didn't have the usual effect when she was covered in baby sick. It seemed more... pathetic. Worse, she'd overheard students gossiping in the corridors about some of the new professors, read things on QuillBook, and she had started to realise that she was slipping. Alex was a well-known and liked person about the school. Being his sister had softened her reputation. Then there was Caleb and DJ and what had happened with David. People felt sorry for her. She'd spent months being pregnant and then just plain miserable and lonely... Adele had lost her edge.

This was not acceptable. Adele had never really felt like others saw her as "old" or "frumpy", she never let people see that. She'd always picked a youthful appearance and dressed to match, just... had she lost her way that much? Was she actually too old to maintain the image anymore? The thought made her want to cry. David had turned her into an old, happy, woman and now he was gone. 

She just had to work doubly hard to get that reputation back. Cut down whoever she had to. It was the only way, right?

"Adele DeVylissea. Librarian. Occasional teacher for History, Elemental, and Ancient Runes," she said the last with extra emphasis. She had no desire to actually teach but she still wanted Tamara to know that Adele could do her job better all the same. As Octavia nodded to Audrey, bounced down off her chair and into the hallway, Adele shrugged a shoulder. "Alan, lost in his work?" she snorted. "More like lost in a nap. You ever get tired of mopping up his drool, Audrey?"

"I'm Audrey," The young woman said easily, "Batman's assistant, and the real person who actually keeps this place somewhat organised. Don't let my age or the kids fool you," Audrey grinned, and then chuckled as Tavi grinned at the nickname for her father, "This is Tavi, and Merri. Welcome to the school. I'd have probably been the first one to meet you and see you to Alan, but I've been a little busy since the end of last year."

"Oh, nice to meet you, Audrey," Tamara replied, smiling broadly and giggling a bit at the sight of Tavi rushing off to check on Alan - whom Tamara presumed was a reference to the school's Headmaster; at the mention of the nickname for Headmaster Burdette, she added deadpan, "so that would make him Batman? I'll have to remember that," in-between bites of donut as the head librarian spoke... "Adele DeVylissea. Librarian. Occasional teacher for History, Elemental, and Ancient Runes," she said the last with extra emphasis. She had no desire to actually teach but she still wanted Tamara to know that Adele could do her job better all the same.

There was a firm but faint coldness to her words that piques Tamara's interest but she opted to let it go...for now. In her mind, Tamara saw a woman who, like her, had been through a lot in her life - what, she didn't know - but had survived those challenges, coming out stronger in the end. In other words, she was a survivor. "Oh, you've taught Ancient Runes as well? Tamara said. "We should compare notes sometime," pausing as she remembered Audrey's question ab out how she was adjusting to Australia and to Tallygarunga.

"I'm adjusting pretty well, Audrey," she replied. "The heat may take a while - I thought North Africa was hot but the heat outside.....whoa. As for school? I'm still getting my bearings and all but I'm adjusting pretty well. Hardest part, I think, was remembering where everywhere was but I think I've got that down pretty good," pausing as she finished the donut and set the plate down nearby. "I'd get another donut but I don't know who else is going to come by; wouldn't want to deprive of them of all that sweetness," she joked, her broad smile returning as she spoke...

"Mhmm, it's a running gag from last year's Magical Education Conference," Audrey said easily, adjusting Merri in her arm a little before reaching to pick up another donut and take a bite. She then lifted her brows as she listened to Adele and struggled not to roll her eyes at the other woman. She was coming off far too strong with her usual 'I am better than you' defiance, and Audrey wondered just how threatened Adele must have been feeling with other people around. Especially younger, more vibrant women. She must have really been feeling the pressure of being a mother again.

"Calm down, Adele. No one's trying to push you off your 'bitch' pedestal, you can relax," The younger woman sighed quietly with a shake of her head. She smiled a little at Tamara's response, which was to compare notes, which Audrey thought was a great idea. Maybe they might actually become friends, of course that was if Adele didn't let her own self-consciousness get to her.

"Oh yeah, the weather definitely takes some adjusting to, but I can say that I don't miss the cold English winters," Audrey laughed lightly with a few small nods, before then offering a shrug to the woman and gesturing toward the large pile, "Grab another one. If people miss out then it's because they were too slow. Always have to be quick on Donut Wednesday, isn't that right, Adele?" She smiled, though her features twisted into a half-amused sneer toward Del at the comments, "Not as tired as you must get feeling threatened by new people." She retorted, before smirking with a shake of her head, "He's been on the ball a lot more recently, since we had Merrilea. Trying to keep me from stressing out too much."