School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Summer Break

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.

Adoptable Spotlight

THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

Bourke ✩ Kaitore
17 year old Halfblood Werewolf ☆ HE/HIM

The level of the heat that had been present the past few days grew to be a concern of his for various reasons and mostly because part of him had found more kinship in animals and their ecosystems. Without a little bit of assistance and proper stewardship many would face a struggle that they wouldn't be prepared to maintain or fight against, incapable of an expedited adaptability. Even the magical creatures that had hidden themselves through out the bushlands were at the same risks and those were creatures with a much higher capability in survival though not by much he'd surmised from his personal view. Each step through the area he had made had been carefully calculated, as if he'd been stalking a prey while his eyes pinned on a small animal only a few meters ahead of him and his lips pressed against together and made a soft hushed sound. 

He hadn't been too mindful of the surroundings to listen for other potential human beings or anything of the similar relation. Nostrils expanded as he took in the air of the environment and then slowly started to hunch lower and crept with his fingers and hands while reaching out to the creature and stroked his hand from its head to the back. "Hehehe, You're a bit ways from your home aren't you little pup dude?" As expected from him, it hadn't reacted threateningly to his presence which allowed for Travis to take a much more personal approach and picking up the animal gingerly and setting it onto his lap. "It's been pretty hot too. I bet you've been looking for some water to get into, am I right? I don't blame you. I'd probably be doing the same dang thing, let's be honest here." He removed his bag and settled it on the ground and opened it up slowly to rummage through it. There had been a few items; foods such as Nuts, Berries, the various kinds of leaves and herbs the creatures could find in their habitat if it had been producing. 

Travis pulled a small bottle of water along with a miniature bowl where he'd begin to pour some of it inside and settled it in front of himself and then set the creature down while watching it stare down the offered nourishment and lapping it up. He rubbed at his chin for a moment in thought, he couldn't provide any real food for it to feast on and truthfully part of him had been extremely wary of even trying to offer it to an animal that had been slightly closer to him in certain aspects. "Best I can do is make sure you're whistle is wet. Can't really take you home. . . Don't have space or that much cash around." He picked his bag up to avoid any chance of it suddenly being raided by the wily canine and just stood there waiting for it to finish with the water so that he could pick the bowl back up instead of just leaving it there. 

It was in this moment that he lifted his head up and started to take more notice and awareness of his surroundings, the area had been a bit dry for his liking. A hand ran along the side of his pants where he had his wand stowed away and out of sight more than aware that this had been a trail that people often traversed through: Wizards and Muggles alike on the better days. He really wasn't expecting anyone to willingly be out in this sweat storm but he'd been surprised before by the actions of other people too. Suddenly being surprised wouldn't do well for him if he'd been using magic or even ended up using the full extent of his more physical talents other than approaching the thirst-starved wandering puppy. "You better get going little guy - I may have some work I need to do here. Makes this place nice and less well... Lacking of water.

A conversation being carried out with the creature as if it understood him or rather as if he understood it. 

Sturt ☆ Junior RangerJazZay
17 year old Halfblood Human ☆ They/Them

With their locs twisted into a low bun, Nox was decked out in their beige slouch hat, ranger pants and unbuttoned shirt, and olive undershirt, hanging flat over their chest, as they patrolled the bush and hunted down water-guzzling invasive plants.

Rather than spray plants with herbicide or uproot them by hand, Nox was  practicing their wandwork by transfiguring the plants into nutrients and water that the native bush tucker could be charmed to root in and feed off of. But progress was slow and steady, as making sure the plants had enough shade to (try) and keep cool and  didn't grow too quickly and suck up all the plant food was easier (and less conspicuous) with their machete. Of course, the fastest way would have been magical drumming with a good drum, but that would draw way more attention than waving a twisty stick at every plant they didn't like.

As they quietly transfigured a few more problem plants, they heard a voice and looked over to see someone stalking towards a little pup, then babying and feeding the animal like some sort of parent. Nox couldn't hide the dopey smile on their lips. It was too cute.

Unsure if the other person was rubbing their pants out of habit or checking for something like a wand, Nox put slid their own wand into a pocket and called out, "You always out here being a dog whisperer?" Then they gestured at the other person's bag of goodies that was pulled away from the pup. "And did you pack anyt'ing for yuh self in 'dere?"

Bourke ✩ Kaitore

When it seemed as if the pup had been close to being done with the bowl of water, the voice caught his ear and halted him in mid lean about to reach for the bowl. Eyes shifted left to right in a questionable manner as he tried to figure just how much the watchful eyes that commanded the voice could have saw. Then he coughed as if he clear is throat but it'd been more in line to ease the potential awkward moment that this could all barrel roll into while turning around to face the person. "Uhhhh. . . Define always?" He laughed heartily and ran fingers through his hair to remove several strands from his view.

"I usually pop out here for a hike or several. This little guy here just happened to be in the path at time and I couldn't just leave him without."  Eyes lowered to glance towards the bag that swung from his arm and then back towards the one who caught him in mid caretaker mode. A convenient lie but he'd been prepared for this kind of an instance knowing the likelihood that he'd have stumbled over something. "Nope! I don't usually pack much for myself when I go on my little jaunts. Have a few nuts and berries and stuff but not my kind of thing to eat." With a casual shrug and brief snicker he'd kneel down and scoop up the empty bowl and pat the pup's head in a soothing motion. "Try to get somewhere with shade McBark." Then stood book up and turned his attention to Nox fully and walked towards them. 

"What about you? Usually roll out of the bush catching unassuming dog whisperers by surprise?" Of the many things that he'd had been expected to be called that hadn't been one of them. He hummed a bit at the thought of it being some kind of playful title for him. Then a shake of his head pulled him back to the moment. "And do you go around packing some grub? Because. . . I'll be honest. . . I'm kind of hungry." A hand pressed against his stomach with a shameless smile the curved on his lips. Most things never satiated his appetite but they at least  curbed the hunger which had been the most he could ask if it hadn't been some form of meat.

When they were asked to define 'always', Nox raised an eyebrow as their smile twitched with amusement. It would be far too easy to succumb to this person's charm *and* the pup's cuteness, but the junior ranger decided to wind a hand down to their hip and collect themselves to listen some more.

With the ongoing explanation, Nox raised their brows and nodded along while wondering if this person actually *lived* out in the bush, until it was revealed there was no food of their own in the bag. Nox rolled their eyes and shoulders back in defeat as their new acquaintance snickered.

Once the pup was dismissed and began to timidly sniff its way around the two of them, Nox waved their free hand off to the side, "So… guessin' you live nearby?" The pup then began to lean and sniff near Nox's boots before retracing their path through the bush, probably following the scent of wet dirt and freshly grown foliage. Instead of minding the pup, Nox continued talking

"I'm t'inking 'rolling from 'di bush' is part of my job description." They pulled at the aboriginal rangers patch on their shirt and then reached up to dig around any inner shirt pockets for their snacks. When nothing turned up they held up a forefinger as they dug around their front pant pockets. But it was only when their hand migrated to their back pockets that they dropped their finger and pulled out fistful of a crinkling, pullstring bag, despite the fact the bag was maybe a bit big for a non-magical back pocket (or someone with a smaller butt and back pocket real estate than them.)

"So you don' do nuts or berries?" Nox fingered their way into the bag which held three separate (and somehow not smushed) plastic bags of food, "All I got is muntries and finger lime fruit leather rolls, honey-roasted and salted sandalwood nuts, and some thick cuts of smoked carp jerky." The bag was then tilted towards their companion with a wide grin, as they added, "Pick yuh poison, bush-dog whisperer."

They weren't sure if any of this would appeal to the other person, but Nox figured an aversion to nuts and berries meant they either liked processed junk food or meat.

Bourke ✩ Kaitore

Travis offered a casual shrug in response to the touch of amusement that had been revealed. His own smile curved with a bit more definition, more so proud at the quirky nature of his words. Head canted to the side at the motions of defeat and it caused his smile to shift to one of a softer countenance. Maybe they'd been in the same situation of him in the food department? In the way that there just needed to be a bit more nourishment filling the belly. 

"Interesting question. . . I would say it's half yes and half no." The tips of his finger slid along his bag's straps to tighten in a bit more securely against his shoulder. "School will be kicking up soon for me. It's a boarding school kind of deal. So, I usually head out a few days early to prepare my rooms and move a few extra things I may need. Can't have bland and blah rooms. Just happens that my school isn't too far from the area that I can risk coming here and going back." That had been the best way he could describe it, unaware if the person he'd been talking to was even a student let alone knew of Tallygarunga itself. 

Eyes lowered briefly to watch the pup sniff about Nox's feet, almost as if it had been seeking more of a treat to go with the drink it had. Or maybe it had picked up a much better aroma that it wanted to trace? The thought's and reason's seemed to matter less with Nox pulling his attention once more in honed focused. "Your job description. . .?" He repeated in a low tone and turned his sights to the patch that had been stitched onto the shirt. It very obvious telling signs that denoted that they had been a Ranger on a mission - maybe that shouldn't be one of his opening jokes. "That's pretty awesome. I haven't met many Rangers but most times that I've seen them I had just missed seeing them getting up and personal with nature and helping it out." He'd been more interested on it for curiosity alone. 

He waited with a sense of happiness that filled his belly, perhaps this had been the moment he could grab something that would hold him over for even a brief moment? With the seconds passing on and the constant patting showing little reward, optimism soon seemed to leave. If he'd been in his Werewolf form he'd probably look like a truly kicked puppy. "Nope, they just don't help the hunger like some of the good stuff in the world." Like a juicy raw steak, that would be the bee's knee's - If they had knees anyways. "Jerky?!" There it was, his mood heightened with his expression lighting up as if it had been a Christmas night by the tree. "I really want that Jerky, that's the best poison I could think of right now." Without even thinking on it his hand reached into the back and snatched the carp jerky, quite quickly, as if he'd been hunting for prey and finally found it cornered. 

In a brief moment it'd been whole in his hand and then snapped in half by the heavy gnawing of his teeth that had pulled at it effortlessly. After a series of chewing it until a mushed pulp a sigh of satisfaction purged from him. "Thank you, I didn't think my hunger would leave me alone enough to -not- spend too much at the first store I'd pass by. I owe you big." More importantly, his wallet thanked them. "I'm over here breaking bread with you and don't even know your name. You can call me Travis or Trav, whichever fits better.

Nox nodded and gave a thoughtful hum at their new acquaintance's living situation, which sounded eerily similar to attending Tallygarunga... unless there was another non-magical boarding school around that Nox didn't pay any attention to. They had even almost forgotten about Tally being a boarding school—an easy feat since they just weren't interested enough in curfews and staying in one spot day and night to keep track of that detail.

At the mention of rangers getting personal with wildlife, Nox gave another nod and added, "Yeah? Well, today I'm just gettin' personal wit' plants."

The change in the dog-whisperer's tune was, for Nox, more than surprising. One moment it seemed like they weren't interested in any of the food and, in the next, the jerky was snatched up and shredded with an aggressive bite.

Though Nox hadn't moved an inch, their eyebrows had shot up in appreciative awe and surprise.

The metamorph could understand tearing into jerky with some nice canines—honestly, they thought it was the only way to eat jerky—but they didn't quite tear into it with this person's enthusiasm and effortlessness. Furthermore, their tendency to prowl around the bush and snatch at food originally made Nox think the other person was a hunter, but their lack of gear and their own food, in this heat, was making Nox think they were more eccentric than just an average non-magical human. Maybe it would be best to quickly check if they were on Quillbook?

That thought came to a halt, however, when the Bush-Dog Whisperer introduced themselves as Travis. That name seemed way too common for a 'quick' check.

The junior ranger just continued to smile and added, "Everybody calls me Nox—short for Noxolo."

They then tilted their head to the side with a curious rise of their brows, "If yuh wanna help out I'll give you 'di rest," with a wiggle of the bag, Nox continued, "We been fishing out so much carp, we dunno what to di wit' it—besides cook it and eat it."

"But first…" Nox was no wandmaker, but they thought they heard enough about wand fittings that they could make this sound silly to any non-magical person and familiar to any local wix. "If I asked if you had a pocket knife or a… trusty-" then Nox looked at the top of Travis' head, as if gaging his height, "-nine to eleven-ish inch stick in 'dat side pocket-" they then nodded their head towards the pants side that Travis had reached for before noticing Nox, "-which would you say?"

Bourke ✩ Kaitore

He figured it could have been left at the ambiguity that some kind of boarding school had been around, maybe something unmarked at that. It would at the very least limit the questions on the whereabouts which he wasn't sure if it would be possible for him to be specific on something that wasn't Tallygarunga. 

Then a soft glance had been given to the area they'd been standing in. "The plants? Didn't take you for a person with a green thumb." A chuckle flowed from his lips with ease as his attention had been drawn back to them. "Well, I'm no expert, but looks like you might want to bring a pretty big water jug with you to handle some of the wilting betty's." Not that it would ever been that easy, not with the flucuating heat that would most likely become characteristic through the summer season. At least they had an obligation to nature as stewards of the land of sorts. 

Travis mind started to slowly push the realization of his actions and took a moment to continue chewing the jerky that'd been torn away. Mostly for it to be a buffer on a bit of time to gather the next thought and words that should leave his mouth as a proper excuse, he didn't want to be linked to the idea or thought that he'd been a 'ravenous' sort even if it had been on the true end. "Uh. . . Sorry about that. I haven't eaten in a bit and got a bit overly excited. Goes to show you, I probably should do better on self care before bolting out the door to take care someone else." As he spoke his eyes lowered to keep emphasize the pup that had still decided that they wanted to stay around. Which had been what he'd been afraid about, it probably expected the food but also probably had caught on to his own actual scent. 

There would be no choice in the matter and Cat had better lighten up to the idea of another bossy mouth to feed. 

"Noxolo? Pretty cool named, alright, Nox it is!" It sounded like something he'd come across in some kind of old tome choronicling the life of a Wizard or Witch. Something that could be considered neutral but the sound of the words made it memorable both in the mind and the way it had felt when forming it with his tongue. 

As his eye squinted at the bag, the feeling of his mouth watering on the concept could be felt. Enough for him to shake his head to snap himself back into the focus and swallow the build up of salvia down. "Help out? What, do you want me to go around running buckets of water or something like that?" It wouldn't be too hard for him and if he'd been honest with it all, exercise probably had been needed even if it wouldn't really break a sweat. Just a bit of a workout to get his blood pumping. 

A slight tilt of his head flowed as they started to speak in what seemed to be questions set up to lead down some form of road - to get at some kind of underlying truth no doubt. Almost a bit too specific for his liking in any kind of scenario and a hum resonated from him. "I would have to say that you'd be buying me some dinner trying to check out what my stick is in length." He couldn't help not saying something along the lines if only to gain a bit of comfort for himself while he placed his hands into the pants pockets that had been worn. "Though it also sounds like you know more about other places than I would have picked up or expecting. . . And overshooting a bit at the length of what's carried in my secret mobile hideout."

As Travis apologized for aggressive eating habits, Nox just smiled and shrugged and then chuckled at the excitement for their name.

Despite the other's charm and enthusiasm, the junior ranger didn't miss Travis swallowing down some saliva before trying to piece together what, exactly, Nox wanted for help. But then the stick question evolved into an innuendo the wix hadn't even been thinking of.

With light a blush, Nox looked away and lightly sucked their teeth for walking straight into that though. But they quickly recovered with awry smile and playful quirk of their brow, "Look, I'm good at some t'ings, but fittin' people to sticks ain't one of 'dem. We can just stick to jerky, fi now." Of course, while the blush had left their face, under their hat their black locs faded into balayage highlights of deep burgundy—bracing for any further innuendos they would surely walk into with this line of questioning.

But as Travis continued talking, Nox rolled their lips into a thoughtful pout. They could just gamble and assume, more likely than not, that Travis was magically inclined, especially with the whole 'know more about other places' thing. Since, Nox hadn't actually shown any particular local expertise, other than complaining carp overpopulation—which was a thing everywhere except asian—it would just be easy to assume 'other places' meant Tallygarunga.

Of course they got back to the stick thing and Travis still made it sound like an innuendo, while also sounding like the last hint needed to solve the 'are you a wix or not?' question. Nox sucked their teeth again and sighed with a smile, though their highlights were slowly getting brighter.

However, rather than turn their attention back to Travis and directly address the 'magic-stick' dilemma, Nox decided to look down at the pup (who clearly wasn't leaving anytime soon) and trying some magic. However, rather than reach for their wand, Nox simply kneeled down and looked into the eyes of the curious pup—its curiousity being only thing the mind magic user needed to do something without a casting tool.

Nox focused on images and smells of what they had been doing all day long: finding the water-gorged invasive plants and turning them into plant food and water to magically grow other plants. The pup's head and ears perked up and its eyes widened as Nox kept its attention.

"So wit' water," Nox finally began, "yuh can find it in 'di wildest places. Right pup?"

The pup's tail began wagging into a blur as it sniffed between Travis and Nox before sticking its nose to the ground and walking around in a winding circles. Finally, the pup stopped, sniffed in one spot a few times, and then began to bow and bark excitedly as it looked between the two humans.

Nox then crossed their arms over their chest and raised a brow at Travis, waiting for the dog whisperer's reaction.