Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Sign in to follow this  
Eudoxia Miller

Complete Nuclear Family (Jan 21 2018)

Melbourne ☆ Creative Director Melbourne DanceKay
Halfblood Human ☆ her/she

Doe had not been sure that her brother would want to come. She could only imagine how he felt, having been kept from the Karras side of the family and then suddenly having a whole family to get to know. That and they were all loud and crazy when they got together. It had still not been a conversation she had with her husband. He was busy and rarely home these days. It was a huge mess honestly. She new that her grandparents were furious with Atlas and the mother of the newest member of the family, who was- not so new. Today however she had invited him over for lunch to get to know him. To meet this family. Silas was happy and buzzing around. ”Should I show my new uncle my collection of Legos?” 

”Maybe not the whole collection just yet, lets not overwhelm him.” Silas nodded. ”I will show him my new sister… I have two new people!” He said as he moved around and bounced behind his mother who had just finished the gyros. It was a good thing he was coming just for lunch, she had already gone a little overboard with everything but she was actually excited as well, not the point of bouncing around. She ran her hand through the dirty blonde curls that were bouncing beside him and she smiled as the doorbell rang. She moved to answer it Silas on her heels. 

”Uncle Orion!” the Little boy called as he wrapped his arms around the leg of the young man standing on the doorstep. She smiled apologetically. ”Hi, welcome. I’m Eudoxia, and that is my son, your Nephew Silas. Come in, come in!” she motioned for him to come in and Silas took his hand to lead him into the home. Silas knew the importance of their family and he was just excited that there were more people in it. ”I made Gyros, I hope you are hungry.” She said with a smile. ”Did you find it okay? I mean we are pretty easy to find but sometimes with the spells and Charms Jason has on the place it’s tricky.” She said as she led him back to the kitchen. ”Look at you, you are basically man…” she said as she finally pulled him into a hug. ”I am so happy to meet you.” She said her hands on his shoulders. 

”Uncle Orion- this is my sister she is new too. Persephone.” He walked over to the bouncy swing that Persephone was currently laughing in. ”He is also really excited to meet you. It took him an hour to pick his clothes.”

Repository ☆ Seventh Year Angie
Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion had no clue what the hell he was doing here. He was staring at an address scribbled on the corner of a bit of parchment and he was chewing on his lip. He hated chewing on his lip. The very thought disgusted him. Not for the vanity, no. This was just how much he despised feeling ill at ease. He felt uneasy. He felt the strange flutters in his belly. He felt a cold sweat break out on his brow. He kept hearing his father's voice in the back of his mind, telling him how important this was.

Right. Important. Exactly how important were all of these children born to a man that couldn't keep it--- And then he had to cut himself off. It did him no favors to be so petty now. Instead, he swallowed, chewed on his lip and stared at the parchment. 

Orion really had no idea what to expect. The thought of meeting his sister, his first real sister, had his mind back in Port Moresby. Clover was the sister he had never had. And right now he wished she was there with him. She would tell him to just take a deep breath and get through the next few hours. And then he could tell her all about it later.

with that in mind, he stared at the house that materialized in front of him, crumpling up the parchment and shoving it in the pocket of his khakis. 

The woman that opened the door looked a little like him. She was tall and dark-haired, with a bright smile. "Er..." He could not get his throat to unstick as he stepped inside. His hands were clasped behind his back and he tried to loosen up. The moment his hand was free, another small hand found his. "Yeah, yeah, I found it okay. Must be the magical slip of paper father gave me." He really had to stop speaking about his father... their father... wow. Just wow. It was still hard to wrap his mind around.

He wasn't quite sure he was as excited as Eudoxia was, but her kids were rather cute. And if there was one thing Orion actually got in this lifetime, it was a small human being. "Well, little man. It's good to meet you too." He held his fist out towards the young Silas.

Doe smiled. ”this is weird for me too,” She said he made the same face Lot made when he was uneasy. It was the same face their father made when he was uneasy. Even Petros made that face. It endeared him to her… though in all honesty he was endeared to her the moment she found out about him. The rest of the family was furious with Atlas- she would likely have to go to Greece, she knew that… she was the one who was able mediate between the family. Which often stressed her out. She felt as though she was over compensating… for Atlas, for the way things were in her home right now. She wanted things to go well. 

She didn’t miss the way he said father and she understood the why behind it. Atlas was pushy, he was sure that he was something special and he insisted so much of them. Doe however was not about to make him feel unwelcome and it was not Orion’s fault that Atlas was his father. It was none of their faults. She smiled at him. Silas was pleased and he pounded the fist. ”Mama says I an show you my Legos, not all this time.” Doe was glad she didn’t say too much around the boy, he was pretty much a sponge… She let out a small laugh.”Silas tells on me all the time.” She said with a laugh. 

”Mama made the best food.” he insisted as moved to sit at the kitchen table. Doe offered Orion a seat and placed the food on the table. ”I went with Greek, I hope you are okay with that. I mean… Its easy and Silas does like it.” he could be picky at times. Persephone babbled and Doe smiled at her. The small infant had brought her so much joy. Just like Silas had. ”If you don’t like it I can make you something else.” she said as she prepared a small plate for Silas. ”Have you been enjoying school. Petros went there his sixth and Seventh year he loved it there.” 

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion was still feeling a little out of sorts, but he was relieved to know that he wasn't the only one weirded out with this whole situation. It wasn't that he was afraid of it, either. He just... didn't want this. He didn't want another family. What was wrong with the family he already had? Finding out after seventeen years that your daddy was a scamp was not exactly the most comforting thing. And the fact he had a whole handful of older siblings was weird. So weird that he had considered ditching this meeting. Why should he be made to feel unwelcome to a family he hadn't known existed just two years ago? It wasn't his fault the man couldn't keep it in his pants and had magical breeding powers.

The truth was, he didn't know what to expect. Atlas Karras was a different man, very different than the honorable men he had grown up around. The man had been horrified that Orion didn't share the surname and had insisted upon it before he was actually taken into civilization and taught how to be a person. Whatever that meant. "It's a little awkward," he told Eudoxia, feeling his teeth clamp down on his lower lip again. He was really going to have to cut this out. Turning his attention to Silas, Orion couldn't help but be charmed. "You'll have to show me what you can build. When I was your age, I had a Lego space ship." 

As Orion approached the table, he took in a deep breath and slowly let it out. He might as well try and relax and enjoy this, right? Even if he just wanted to sit down and sulk. "Erm... I actually haven't had much Greek food. I'm open to trying anything." Anything except sea urchin. That spiny thing still creeped him out.

Honestly he reminded her bit of Petros. She had the surly teenager living with her for a few years as he finished up school. It had not been the most pleasant but she had loved it. Petros had been a challenge- she hoped that Silas would stay her sweet boy forever but she knew better than to expect it. Sitting she watched as Silas did managed to charm the young man at her table. Which was not at all surprising. He had his father’s people skills over hers. Which really was a good thing. Doe was not always the most welcoming. She felt differently about her family however. She wondered about how he felt about all of this. ”We are a lot to handle.” She said with a smile and a half shrug. 

”We are a culture shock for anyone.” she wanted to tell him about how she and Lot had terrorized Hogwarts and how Petros had been fond of lighting fires. It was all about attention, they wanted their father’s attention. They worked to get it but never seemed to have it. Her father had not seen her dance since she was much smaller… She took a breath and smiled. ”Space ship… mama a space ship” she nodded at him. He was always interested in the various buildable things they had. ”He is a big fan of the Legos… he’ll keep you there all night if you let him.” She said with a smile. He nodded and reached for the cucumbers and tomatoes on his plate. 

Once Silas was taken care of she made herself a plate and offered the food to Orion. ”Did you enjoy your holidays? How is your mum?” She asked, she had not met Atlas’ most recent baby mama but he had mentioned some things about her when he told Doe that she had another little brother out there. Lot’s mom hd always taken them all in when they needed a place, it was a strange family but Doe loved Lilah and Kora’s mom as much as her own… Petros’ mother had given her the ultimate trust that she could have. The family was bizarre, that’s all there was to it. 

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Had she just said that they were a lot to handle? She didn't know him at all. His mum had always said he was someone hard to handle. He could be moody and brooding and surly and snap. She would make up silly poems that would get his attitude to soften and crack a bit though. That was why he loved his mum as much as he did. "I guess we have that in common. I've been told I'm quite thick-skulled." His mum would always roll her eyes and tell him that he was getting more and more like her father every day. But, what if this wasn't his grandfather whose behavior he emulated? What if it was his father's? What a terrifying thought.

He couldn't help but stare at her quizzically. They were a culture shock? "What sort of cultures have you shocked?" he asked curiously. Orion was not someone that really looked for attention. He was someone that liked to be noticed doing the things he loved, but being caught and called out was a recipe for disaster. His attention reverted back to Silas, who had eyes as wide as saucers as he marveled about what he could build from his blocks. "Yeah, space ship. I bet yours could be even better than mine was."

As he dished himself up, Orion heard Eudoxia ask about his mother. He swallowed a bit of cucumber he was munching on and shrugged his shoulders. "Break's been good. Any more time and I'd be bored to tears." He added some actual protein to his plate and then piled on the flatbread. "My mum's good. She had a dig this week." It was probably the first little personal detail anyone in this family knew about his mum. He wasn't sure Atlas had a clue what she did other than what size underwear she had eighteen years ago. Ugh.

His comment made her smile. ”Unfortunately for you, you are one of us. The Karras family is notoriously hard headed.” She knocked on her head as if this proved the point. ”You just hear some of the knock down drag outs we have at family gatherings.” She shook her head. ”I believe this last Christmas was the first where someone didn’t end up with a fork or knife through their hand.” They were a loud and dangerous bunch. ”Just name one I can tell you how we shocked it.” This was said with exhaustion. It was one of the many things that she had dealt with. ”So I imagine you may be overwhelmed with us. I figure we could meet and then meet the other siblings. Lot actually lives in Narrie with your other niece Lilah, she is a rather precious thing.” She smiled at him. He seemed to have the whole uncle thing on lock with Silas already. 

”Petros and Kora are still running around making names for themselves.” She had come to Australia to hide and in the process made a life for herself. Jason and the kids. It was a good life. ”Actually when Petros was in my care he came to Tally as well.” She had no idea how much he actually knew about their family. Silas nodded. ”You will help. It’s better that way.” Silas said as he shoved some of the small pieces into his mouth. She gave a soft sigh he was such a messy eater. She took a bite of her gyro and politely wiped her mouth. Atlas had insisted up etiquette training for her, even if she forgot it most of the time. She smiled. 

”I am glad you got to spend time with her.” She had lost her mother two years ago and it had been a huge blow. However she was lucky that she had Lot’s mother. Petros had lost his mom and Aviva had taken him in too. She was so warm and open and loving. It sometimes killed her. ”I used to feel the same duing the breaks at Hogwarts. I enjoyed school mostly because Lot and I could get into lots of trouble without one of the four mothers catching onto us.” They had not been raised by Atlas, but by the mothers of his children. That alone was strange to most people. However it had worked for them even if Atlas had insisted. ”What do you like to do? What are some of your favorite classes?” She asked. She was interested in getting to know him. 

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Honestly, Orion had never really expected that much from his family. To hear he was anything like that, though, was a bit of an eye-opener. The fact that there were all these people he was suddenly related to made his head spin a little. His Christmas had been spent with the Arua family who, for all intents and purposes, were a solemn lot. Sure, his grandpop was a bit of a reckless adventurer in his age and his grandmum had tempered down her own boisterous energies, but compared to what he was discovering about the Karras family, they were a solemn and quiet lot. And he wouldn't trade the Arua family for anything. 

"Our father said there are four others. You and Lot and two others..." He hadn't been paying attention when Atlas had been telling him this, because he was a seventeen-year-old male with the attention span of linoleum. He was also discovering they were all older than him and now knew that at least two of them had reproduced and he had a pair of nieces and a nephew. "Wow... the Karras' are so prolific." He wasn't used to having so many people around. It was kind of crazy. 

"So, I'm not the first to go to Tally?" Orion asked curiously. He glanced over at Silas, who was happily digging in and then over at the mess on his own plate. "You're gonna have to show me how to do this, buddy." 

"Where did you go?" Orion asked. Suddenly, he was curious about the woman sitting across from him. He knew her name. He knew she had two children. He knew she was married because she wore a ring. Atlas hadn't told him much about the others, except they had all been raised separately. Except, not really, as Eudoria was explaining that they were more than just a collection of half-siblings that shared the same father. But they had been raised by their mothers. That struck a familiar tune in his mind as he finally sank his teeth into the gyro. "When did you first meet the others?"

It wasn't so easy to talk about himself. He managed to swallow his bite and chuckled dryly to himself, still holding the remainder of his pita roll. "What do I like to do? Hmmm... I like Quidditch. I like water. I'll get back to you on the classes. I'm just going into my third year of taking them."

”Ah yes, Petros and Kora.” She smiled. She had always loved the younger two, and now three. She understood that they all had the same father but it was likely Orion wouldn’t adopt them as quickly as they would be inclined to adopt him. ”They are still out and working on their adventures. Lot and I have had plenty…” Not to mention they had children to think about. ”We are, and so be careful. Please.” She said realizing it was a bit of a funny thing to say. ”I realize you’ve known me as your older sister for about 10 minutes and this is a hugely weird thing to say but Silas was a surprise, Jason and I were married already but he was a surprise, and Lot did not expect Lilah either.” There had also been other incidents. She knew to be careful with Jason, otherwise they would have more children than she had siblings. ”Just- please be careful.” She knew what it was like to be a teen. 

She had been hard to control as a teenager as well… Lot had beaten up a few boys in school. She watched as Silas showed him how to handle the gyro. His was in smaller pieces than the two others but he was taking a bit of pride in showing him how to do things. ”I went to Hogwarts, so did Lot.” She explained. She took a moment to chew her food. ”I was 4 before I met Lot, he was much older, our mothers moved to Godric’s Hollow. The other two came along as well they moved when they were school aged, except Petros. His mother got sick when he was 13 and they went back to be with her family.” She explained. ”then when she passed custody was given to me and so he came to Tally.” She had been glad that Petros had come. Her relationship with him was solid now. 

”I am sure it offers little consolation but Atlas was not around much before I had Silas… he’s had some kind of change.” She more mused this than she was telling him. She shrugged. ”Oh that’s right!” She said with a smile.”I imagine you miss home quite a bit. I wish Atlas had told us sooner… so we could have been there. I have to go to Greece the week school starts but I will come visit you if you like.” She wanted to, she would visit Petros.”I used to go and take Petros out for Dinner and if you want a home to come to on the weekend and Atlas is driving you crazy you can always come here.” She offered. ”If you want of course there is absolutely no pressure.” She said. ”Do you play quidditch?”

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion had the grace to roll his eyes. This woman - almost a total stranger save the fact she made adorable children and had welcomed him into her home - was cautioning him. Nobody, not even his mother, could do that to him. Mia at least understood that warning her son against anything would cause him to do the exact opposite. He wasn't entirely a rebel, but there was teenage rebellion stirring in his blood. "I don't plan on starting any time soon," he told her in his acerbic, dry tone. Besides, he wasn't dating anyone. The last girl he might have considered "hooked up" with had been a night snuggled into an armchair and he had barely gotten to second base. He was also a teenage male, full of impulses and drives and lust. Her warning, for all the seriousness she had put into her just words, was going to end up falling on deaf ears.

It was also a concern to him that all of these siblings had known one another and had grown up around each other. He felt like the odd duck out, but the person to blame for that was his mother. And Orion was quite protective of her. He had the sick feeling that if Atlas had known about him, his life would have turned out quite differently. For sure.

Picking up the flatbread as he had been shown how to, Orion began to eat. For his first try at Greek cuisine, it was quite tasty. "You're right," Orion said in an aside to Silas. "Your mum is a kick-butt cook."

"I honestly didn't care who my father was. The fact he found out is something of a mystery to mum and I." Orion took another bite of the flatbread and chewed thoughtfully. Even if he didn't like the man, where else did Orion have to go during school breaks? His grandparents were in Cairns, which was almost too far away. Sadly. He would much rather spend the holidays with them. And luckily for Atlas, they were none the wiser or else they would have certainly come charging in. "You... you don't have to do anything like that." He was oddly touched by her offer, as though someone had never made an offer quite like that before. "And, yeah, Quidditch. I still follow the Majlis. I was born to fly... or swim. I love both."

Doe had hardly been a saint. Lot was not one either. ”Just, be careful.” She wondered if she should have Lot slip him some condoms or something that would be less odd coming from a big brother than it would from a big sister. They had enough surprise Karras’s show up in the past several years. The only thing she was concerned about was the fact Orion needed to at lest get through this last year, what he did after that was all up to him. Atlas acted as though he had power over his children, but Lot was living a life outside of the influence of the Greek. Doe had tolerated the man because she had wanted to have some connection she wanted him to at least see her and say something fatherly, instead he had not been very good at it. 

Silas nodded. ”the best.” Doe smiled. ”His father has been training him well.” She raised an eyebrow at her son who only giggled at the face she had made. Which made Persephone giggle as well. Already sure that Silas had hung the moon for her. Doe understood that thought, she still believed Lot had done the same. ”He is a man on influence. I would say that at some point there was something that made him wonder about that particular encounter… and he does not let something go once he gets it in his head.” Good for business, bad for other things. It did however make him many friends, then again money had a way of doing that. ”I don’t blame you. He was not much of a father. Maybe he saw the chance to do something right where he didn’t with us.” She said and shook her head. ”I could speculate for hours and hours but our father is still a bit of a mystery to me.” She shrugged. 

”I know.” She said. Smiling as she spoke. There was very little she had to do, she mostly just did what she liked. ”But, you are my family. There is very little I wouldn’t do for you at this point” Even without knowing him. ”If nothing else, family, be it the blood, or one we make for yourself is what matters.” She didn’t expect hi to return the sentiment, at least not now. Maybe later. ”I mean we’ve all been there, had the same feelings about Atlas. And so this home will always be open to you. I will always be there for you, you’ve only got to ask”She promised him. 

”I swim, I was never any good at quidditch- but Lot, he was a keeper for years… what position do you play? Maybe you and Lot could fly sometime together?” She offered. She wanted him to at least make some connections with them… They all deserved that.

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Now Orion did roll his eyes. Theatrically. Mia always said he could overstate the dramatic in the most obnoxious way. This was his way to let Eudoxia know that he had heard her. In his own way. He'd been making decisions for himself since he learned how to crawl. Mia had never denied him the opportunity to grow and to learn. But, that's who his mother was. He wasn't one of her piles of bones, so he received less attention. When he asked for her, though, she had never denied him that. 

At least Silas would grow up with a decent father. Orion could have envied the little man had he not actually done all right without that visible male role model in his life. What was wrong with so many female influences? "What is right, anyway?" Orion asked, poking a bit of veggie back into his roll-up. "He did us right by not showing up at throwing his money around." That was the biggest question on his mind. Why. Why then? Why now? Why was any of this happening? And why had it happened to him? "I guess I don't need to speculate. I know how I feel about the man." A bully with money pretty much summed him up. He had obviously pulled a fast one to get Mia to listen to him. One of these days, she would tell Orion exactly what had transpired. Some day. Maybe.

Still, Orion had never had a sister before. He'd never really wanted a sister before. Now that he had one, he was starting to see what he'd been missing. He'd never really felt that sort of support before, but he was starting to see that he could find it here. 

"We used to swim in the lagoons. There were mermaids in there." Orion gave a shrug. "Bamboo reeds were fun to hang out in. They were deep enough out there we could do a bit of exploring." Swimming was something he loved to do, both deep underwater and just treading surface water. "I'm a Chaser," he replied, sitting forward. "Just like my favorite player, Rayzal Sya. Ever hear of him? He's been playing for the Maljis since I was ten." He actually made it to the Quidditch World Cup before he had been on Malaysia's team, too. The thought of having a brother that played Quidditch was sort of a promising one. He kind of wanted to see the older man play, just to see if that's where he got his skills from.

”I used to smack Petros when he rolled his eyes at me. Right in the back of the head to pop them back in place.” She said with a small smirk. Orion was not the first surly teenager she had at her table. He and Petros had made quite a name for themselves being surly teenagers. She had to admit that seemed to be a staple, Lot had also been rather surly as a teenager. Then again they had a lot to deal with, their father figure not being there, and in Orion’s case taking him from his home and placing him here in the middle of everything. It was not easy to be a Karras… even if you had only been one for a few years. 

She nodded at him. She was not here to change his mind, he needed to change his mind about their father on his own. ”He leaves much to be desired, that is true.” She nodded as she looked over at him. It was not like he had been good to Orion either. ”He is trying now. I am not sure that it makes up for the years.” She shook her head. ”And the truth is I can’t say that I do not get jealous when I see how he is with my kids, how he was never that way with me.” She said ”I don’t blame you for how you feel, I don’t blame anyone for how they feel, I suppose I have tried to be okay for the sake of my children.” She offered. 

”While I swam Dance was really my thing but I enjoyed swimming when I was not dancing.” She said with a smile. She had loved dance even when her parents had not seen the importance of it. She smiled. ”I can’t say I know much about him but I do know the name. I bet Lot would be better conversation. I once thought I wanted to own a team.” She suggested. Looking at him. Instead she had two kids and was playing housewife. It made her bite her lip for a second and she smiled. It was still a good life, a better life than she could have imagined.

Halfblood Human ☆ He/Him

Orion had never really been smacked before, so he sort of sat back at that comment. Was that something sisters did to unruly brothers? How would he know, since he had never had siblings before? He wasn't sure how siblings behaved with one another. Maybe it did involve some kind of violence. Sure, he and his buddies back home would slap one another on the back, do the chest bumps, do little fist bumps, all sorts of things that boys (and sometimes Clover) did. But, otherwise, he didn't have a clue.

If this was trying, Orion didn't want to know what would happen if he succeeded. Atlas was not his favorite person in the world. At all. He had done just fine without him. That was the most annoying part about all of this. He had had a good life. He didn't really need this one. The only upside was he was discovering that Atlas had not just dropped the ball with him, but with every other child he had had. And maybe he was a little jealous that his own father could be affectionate with others. What kid who didn't grow up without one wouldn't be?

"You're a dancer?" Orion asked curiously. He knew next to nothing about dancing, save the street festivals, wiggling hips and that tropical bodega music that seemed to make him so happy. Of course, that wasn't popular here. "Wait, you wanted to buy your own quidditch team? Which?" He was sort of curious as to why she would have gone off on that kind of adventure. Then again, he loved the sport dearly. He wouldn't have stuck with flying for as long as he had if he didn't love it as much as he did. "Well, there's always room for one when you retire, no?"

She nodded. ”I am, well I guess was, injuries and kids, I just run the studio now, creative director and all.” She smiled nothing made her as happy as dance made her. Not until she had her family. Then it had been about them Putting her family first. Well, she supposed she always put her family first. Orion should at least know that about her. That even if Atlas had not put him first- she would at least try. She smiled at him. ”One day I’ll show you all the old pictures and tapes. My mother was a muggle she saved all of it. I have it in a box in the attic.” She said with a smile. She was glad her mother had saved it. There was a lot of her history in that box. 

She smiled for a moment. ”I did I didn’t really care which one, one from Greece maybe where Karras still has some meaning.” she shrugged… it could pull weight there still. ”I used to tell Lot I would buy him a team so he could play. He had a temper, and got into many fights on the pitch.” She said with a shrug. ”We all have tempers actually. It can be pretty bad, but we’ve gotten it together mostly.” She said with a shrug and a smile.”I wanted him to be happy, I still want him to happy but I didn’t have to buy him a quidditch team.” She smiled. ”but I can buy you one instead if it would make you happy.” She said with a smile. A joke. ”Though I don’t imagine a team would make you happy.” he seemed to be a kid who found happiness outside of the material things, they all were. Maybe to spite their father. 

”I think technically I am retired. I left the ministry after Silas was born- and I am no longer performing… Though the kids have been a fulltime job.” Silas was watching Orion and he smiled. ”Will you show me how to throw the quaffle?” He asked and she smiled at the boy. Ruffling his curls for a moment. He was such a sweet and confident boy. ”You play for Tally? Would you send me a schedule so we can come see you play?” She asked.