Cbox
Guest enabled! No advertising, and be nice! Not much happening here? Check out our Discord!
Welcome to Tallygarunga, an original roleplay set in the Harry Potter universe. Set in present-day Australia, tensions are high between the Ministry of Magic and the only Ministry-run wizarding school in the country. Become like the other snooty private schools? Not a chance.

Originally established in August 2006, Tallygarunga prides itself on an inclusive and active community. Once part of the Tally family, always part of the Tally family. Whether you're here for the first time, the thousandth time, or returning after a long time---welcome home.
Staff
Sadrienne
Founder
LilyCat
Admin
Kaitore
Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Tallygarunga
a non-canon au potterverse roleplay
December, 2019 :: Summer

Flinders ☆ Sixth Year ✩ Kirupachi
17 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

The worst time of the year was approaching rapidly: school break. The time of the year where she was forced away from her friends, when she had to force herself to do piles and piles of homework as an excuse to avoid her parents. One would think that would be excellent motivation for Meadow to get out of her bedroom and have some fun, hang out with the people she cared about and have memorable moments to remember during the month and a half she'd be sulking in Melbourne.

Yet instead she was cross-legged on her bed, quietly doing homework.

As the sun set outside, she sipped on an orange juice bottle she had obtained outside, not feeling hungry enough to go out into the Great Hall just yet. She set it down on the nightstand and grabbed her pen once again, taking advantage of the silence of the room to scribble down the various answers she had for the questions the school's Arithmancy Professor had told the fifth year students to answer by the following week. There was no rush in doing them, and so a case for masochism could be made.

Her back leaned against the wall as she flipped the page of her little notebook before placing it snugly against the middle of the open copy of 'Numerology and Grammatica' that she was presently studying. She disliked the subject heavily, but figured she might as well do the worst things first so to make the following subjects go that much quicker.

Narragyambie ☆ Seventh Year ☆ Part time at SomeplacePoppy
18 year old Halfblood Human ☆ she/her

Remi Cornfoot was not a girl who often kept things to herself, after all, she was often not sure about many things in the wider world that keeping things to herself was a good way of remaining in a constant state of confusion. This was a state she did not relish being in and so she often went out of her way to alleviate it. This had caused a handful of good and bad situations for her and one situation that left her feeling, well, tingly was the only word she could think of that summed up the feelings that arose when she thought of a certain fellow sixth year.

His dark hair, dark eyes and randomly odd demeanor was, she was sure, not supposed to be a good thing. If she was back with the clan, they would quickly beat that tingle out of her. But, well, she liked the tingle. It was a nice feeling but that didn’t always mean it was a good feeling, sometimes tingling was a side effect from spells, potions and a curses. There was only one witch in all of Tally that she trusted to speak to about the good but possibly bad tingle that a certain male student gave her.

So with that in mind and an open rat on her shoulder she almost burst into the flinders common room and made her way up to the shared dorm, once again coming through the door like some whirling dervish.

“Meadow.” she said happily, finding her friend exactly were she knew her friend would be. On her bed, surrounded with books. Pushing some books out of her way she plonked herself on her friends bed, ignoring any social etiquette she should have used “I need some advise about boys and tingling feelings.”

Regardless of how much she disliked Arithmancy, Meadow was concentrated enough in the problems that the door suddenly opening caught her completely off guard. She jumped lightly in place, her heart shooting up in speed and her head jerked in the direction of the sound. A sigh of relief ensued once she recognized her roommate and she put a hand over her own heart, trying to will it to calm down. "Merlin. You scared me..." She muttered. Inconvenient as it was, she did take the opportunity to close the books on her lap, and didn't seem too affected by the other ones being carelessly placed aside. She was studious, yes, but that didn't mean she actually enjoyed the activity.

"...Boys?" She repeated after Remi spoke, flabbergasted. Why on God's green Earth would Remi want to talk to boys with Meadow of all people? She had taken the responsibility of providing all sorts of advice for her, yes, but the younger Flinders hadn't so much as even had a first kiss yet, let alone be qualified to give such advice. It took her a few long moments to mentally recover from the premise.

"...Uh... Okay..." Her head tilted ever so slightly as she studied the gleeful friend before her. She had a crush on a boy? "...What do you need? No promises, I have no experiences in the matter..." She couldn't work miracles either.

Remi didn’t entirely believe Meadow when she stated that she had no experience in the matter of boys and tingly feelings. It was the feelings that were more bothersome than the boy side of things. Though the boy caused the feelings, so, he was apart of the equation. This excuse of not having much experience would not stop Remi from pursuing her questions, after all, she didn’t really have that many other people to speak too about such things. The other students tended to not really interact with her outside of what they had to do in the classroom.

This was something Remi should probably have felt bad or even concerned about but she was just too damn excited and full of curiosity and wonderment at this whole new world she had forced her way into to actually worry about making more than a few friends. Meadow was a great friend all on her own.

“You probably know more than I do. The Mother always kept us away from the boys.” a shrug followed this odd sentence, the one thing she never did was expand on where she actually came from and who these people she sometimes mentioned where.

It was better that way.

“Anyway, a couple of days ago Appendage,” as if too remind Meadow who Appendage was she nodded too the rat cage sitting at the foot of her own bed “ran away and whilst looking for him I met this tall, dark and beautiful stranger!” then the rest of the story kind of rolled itself off her tongue “He’s not a stranger now though. His name is Travis and he helped me find Appendage and we’re going to the beach and something call...rink rollering?

There was that feeling again, the tingling in her stomach and a slightly lower region that had never made such a fuss before “But where ever I see him or think about him I get a tingling feeling in this area.” she said pointing at her stomach and briefly wondering if she should mention the other region too before thinking wasn’t the sort of thing one spoke to other people about so left it off “Is this feeling a good bad feeling or a bad good feeling or a good good feeling?” with her very confusing question put out to Meadow she turned facing her friend and waiting for some confirmation of feelings and tinglings.

The angle of the tilt of Meadow's head increased as Remi mentioned 'The Mother' in passing, confusing the fifth year. She didn't know much at all about her roommate's ask, nor was she entitled to ask for that matter; but, had she been brought up in a segregated community? That was hard to imagine. Maybe she went to all girl schools as well? That would explain the lack of knowledge ever so slightly, but as far as she was concerned, Remi was still a walking mystery. The quip certainly didn't help things.

She really wished she hadn't heard what she just had, however. Not only was this boy's name Travis - there were a few Travises at school, right? - but the description was spot on. That was undoubtedly Travis Franklin she was discussing, and Meadow fought the urge not to visibly groan. That boy needed a leash sometimes. 'Pun fully intended.'

"Travis? As in, Travis Franklin?" Not an actual question as she wasn't foolish enough to hope to be proved wrong in that particular subject. "Okay, look... I don't want to downplay your feelings or anything, but... If he sweet talked you and flirted or something, he does that to every girl with a pulse. Even some without! Trust me, you don't want to go down that road."

Her friend was actually a perfectly okay young man in her opinion, but his flirtatious ways could get quite out of hand, in her opinion. "Look. I know him really, really well, okay? Just... Forget about it. It'll be better for you in the end. Plus, plenty of fish in the sea." That was for the better. If Remi was to dive into the dating realm anytime soon, it might as well be with someone whom actually took things seriously. That was definitely not Travis' thing for as long as she had known him. She never actually tackled the question given to her, but she hoped she wouldn't have to and that Remi would listen to reason.

At the same time, she had a strong feeling that it wouldn't be the case.

“Yes, that’s him.” Remi replied with excitement, that excitement almost making her bounce off her spot on the bed. She was listening to the rest of what Meadow was saying and for the most part understood exactly where she was coming from, another part of her really didn’t get what she was saying. After all was it really wrong to sweet talk other people? Travis didn’t give her the impression that he was trying too do something she was uncomfortable with.

Flirting, after all, could be fun or well so she imagined, having not done a lot of flirting in her life and having no real idea what someone flirting with her would consist of she only had what people had told her and what she had read in those books she kept under the bed at home as a frame of reference.

“How would you sweet talk someone without a pulse?” Remi asked, latching onto the one thing in the conversation that probably wasn’t that important “No pulse usually, I think, means they are dead and therefore not capable of hearing when someone was sweet talking them.” she thought for a minute, leaning back onto her elbows slightly as she puzzled over how someone would sweet talk a corpse, then it dawned on her “Oh, do you mean Vampires? Does he know some Vampires? I’d love to meet one.”

Though a Vampire might bite her and turn her into a vampire and Remi was only just getting used to being a normal witch without the whole possible death involved.

Then she turned back to the conversation at hand and the question she had originally asked “So, Travis is your friend but the feeling I have is a good bad feeling because he is someone who will be sweet to me but eventually throw me into the sea?” that didn’t seem right, Travis, from their short acquaintance didn’t seem like someone who would throw her into the sea “That doesn’t seem right but he did invite me to the beach.”

Meadow let out a sigh and shook her head at a boy who wasn't there upon the confirmation of her suspicions. She didn't mind the fact that Travis was flirty in itself, but couldn't he watch it regarding more impressionable people? The way things were headed, he'd just leave a trail of broken hearts in his path and have no idea why half the girls in school grew to hate him over time. If she could save it from happening with Remi, at least, she would. Friends? Perfect. Flirtation? Hold your horses.

"Don't... take that literally..." 'Right. Watch your manner of speech, Meadow.' "I mean, there's a lot of men out there. And I'd wager a good portion of them won't be hitting on every girl, and will mean it." It would have been perfectly okay for Remi to go for it if it were for a fling - but the way she described the situation felt like she harbored a crush on him instead. Coupled with the fact she was way too innocent for her own good, it meant that Travis a few too many speeds ahead than what this girl should subject herself to.

"Just... Try to ignore it, okay? I know it's hard. Trust me, I know that too well. But with him, it's one of two things. He either only sees you as a friend and will flirt with you anyway --that's what he does to me-- or he's thinking of something that's not a relationship and that I'd say you don't really need right now." Yes, hormones could be an argument, but someone as gullible as this girl didn't need that potential baggage at this moment. "He's my best friend. If anyone knows how he works, it's me."

Remi was slightly crestfallen when Meadow told her not to take her comment about people without pulses too literally. That clearly meant that either Travis did not know a single vampire too introduce her to or he did but would be opposed too introducing her. There was also the possibility that it was her first assumption that she was referring to people who had died and stayed dead. Remi made a mental note that she would bring that query up with Travis himself; maybe he had some insider knowledge about the flirting with the deceased that would be useful.

This thought could have kept her mulling for a fair while and she even placed her elbow on her left knee and cupped her chin in a think pose too simple mull it over. Meadow kept talking though kept discouraging her from her feelings. Two things in the conversation caught her attention more than the sage advice. The first was that it was something Meadow herself was struggling with and the second, that, in fact Travis was her best friend.

“Okay,” she said finally, moving her position so her upper body was turned to face Meadow, both hands flat on the bed as she studied the girl she considered a friend “Are you telling me this because you have tingly feelings for Travis as well?” she asked. That, she assumed, could cause complications for her own friendship with Meadow, something she was bound and determined she would not let happen.

"...Come again?"

For a moment, Meadow's brain refused to process the question, so alien was that very concept. Once she did, her face contorted slightly in confusion. Did she have 'tingly feelings' for Travis? Did she want to have him as her own and was trying to keep Remi away from him because of it?

"...Merlin, no." She shuddered. "Never. That would be like... Liking my brother." She was visibly disgusted at the notion. Not at the man himself, not at all; she just couldn't envision him as anything other than precisely a sibling. Not to mention his way/obsession with the ladies made her extremely self conscious to begin with. She'd prefer to avoid worsened self esteem issues.

"That's not the issue at all. I'm just saying... If you're looking for something serious with him, he's not the best person for it right now." At least not until he stopped flirting with every woman under the sun. "I just don't want you getting accidentally led on and wind up getting hurt. He can go out with a broomstick for all I care."

Remi read the initial confusion on her friends face as somewhat confirmation too her suspensions, this, she felt cleared things up better about the feelings she was harboring for the handsome and charming Bourke. If her friend’s feelings would get hurt because of her actions, then those actions would never happen. After all, she was only assuming a friendship with Travis at this point. Romance wasn’t exactly high on her list of things she wanted to experience right at this moment.

Then, just as she was mentally sorting this out for herself, figuring out how much time she might need for the feelings to abate and if there was some kind of potion she would craft and take too help with that, Meadow clarified that she did not have tingly feelings for Travis. She also expanded on her original point, clearing up any confusion once and for all.

It came across as they had both not really grasped what the other had been trying to say. The difference was Meadow was trying to be tactful and she sometimes had issues aligning her thoughts into coherent words.

“Something serious?” she asked a smiling pulling at the corner of her lips “Like a relationship? I’m not after that at all. All I was trying to figure out is the feelings and how to deal with them.”

Ah, good. Meadow had managed to clarify her stance somehow, and could clear her mind of the image of seeing Travis as anything more than a friend. It made her skin crawl. She wasn't entirely sure why she got such a visceral reaction at the idea to begin with, as he was someone whom she actually valued; perhaps some things were just not meant to be? No point in dwelling on it, she thought. She found herself immediately occupied with the fact that there had been a mild misunderstanding on her end apparently, or so Remi's statement indicated.

"Oh, I see." But, did that mean she wanted to know what those 'tingly feelings' meant? Or she wanted to know how to act on them? Meadow was somewhat more perplexed than before. Hoping for the former, she spoke. "It just means you're attracted, I assume." If it was anything like the crushes Meadow caught every now and then, it could get a bit overwhelming at times. "It's not really a bad thing, it's just that you like him. What comes to mind when you think about him?" She tried, perhaps having Remi voice it would help understand things better.

Remi still wasn’t entirely convinced that Meadows strong reaction to the idea of harbouring feelings wasn’t an indication that perhaps there was something there for the younger Flinders. Though this didn’t stop her from deciding to take her friends words at face value and shove the other thoughts too the back of her mind for dissecting later. This would be when she had some privacy, which was not something that came easily around the school. There were always people around, something that she found both comforting and slightly disconcerting at different points in each day. These points were usually subjected to her moods at the time as well.

“Well, he’s handsome, funny,” she stopped briefly, looking away from Meadow and towards one of the pictures of the fall, examining her own thoughts of the subject of Travis “kind and different.” after all how many people would have helped her look for Appendage? Not many, she guessed. Rats were somewhat maligned creatures; this was probably why she bonded so easily with them.

“I’m happy to be his friend that’s if he wants to be mine.” she said with a smile in Meadows direction “Ooh, he did invite me to the beach soon. You should come.” that would be nice and useful seeing Meadow interact with Travis, allow her to understand more about their friendship and how different friendships worked.

"I suppose that's a good way of describing him." Meadow found herself commenting, but it was mostly to herself than as a response to Remi proper. She would've also used the words 'perverse', 'inappropriate' and 'crude', but perhaps it was about time she focused on the good rather than being so strict about her best friend's actions. They were in their teenage years, right? She should let him do what he wanted. At that point she was just projecting her parents' behavior onto others, which wasn't healthy in the least.

"Oh, no... That's not really my thing." The beach. It was the Summer and it was a perfectly good excuse, but that little voice in the back of her mind was making itself heard again. For once, she decided to ignore it. "Though I hope you have fun. I take it you two are travelling to Melbourne for this?" There wasn't much in the way of 'beaches' in Narrie, after all, but she couldn't help but wonder why they wouldn't have a day at the lakes instead. Did they really want to build sandcastles that badly?

“What is your ‘thing’?” Remi asked, sitting down next to her friend again. It would be nice to include her in more activities outside of the school grounds, well, if she wanted to be included in them. Remi had yet to really experience the beach in a way that allowed her to make a decision about whether the beach was one of her ‘things’ or even if she did have ‘things’. She had been taking the world of the value that everything is an experience that was waiting to be had and until those experiences happened one couldn’t decide how they felt about individual activities.

“I think so.” she replied to the question about Melbourne, in all honesty Travis could take her anywhere and say ‘hey, this is the beach’ and she’d embrace the whole thing for what it was “Though we have to go shopping for beach stuff first. I have nothing that is suitable for the beach, I’ve never even worn a bikini. What do you ever done at the beach?” she asked more too herself than meadow, then shrugged it off, it was going to be fun no matter what happened.

“Anyway, it would be nice to do something off school grounds with you one day. Anything you want.” she said smiling at her friend, then pulling her arm up and checking her watch too check the time. It was almost time for her to go to work where she could earn the money for her beach adventure and whatever Meadow decided was something they could do together.

There it was, Meadow's common issue when it came to friendships at the school - they all wanted to hang out outside its walls, something the fifth year couldn't afford to do. Unless she wanted to tempt her parents into homeschooling her, of course. But how was she to dodge the seemingly inevitable incoming interrogation on the matter coming from her roommate?

"Honestly, I don't really like going out that much..." She lied. At least her actions could back up her claims - she never really went out of campus much at all, and when she did, she was escorting Samantha Hammond around most of the time. She was a pureblood witch, so there was no harm; and by presenting herself as a liaison to the humongous Hammond family, she could easily score some points with her parents and be granted some more freedom.

"There's lots of things we can do in Tally as is, why go outside?" The fact that they had magic at their disposal made for endless forms of entertainment.