School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Summer Break

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.

Adoptable Spotlight

THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC
Sign in to follow this  
Tyson McKennis

Open On the way Out

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Tyson didn't want to give the whole 'Ball' thing an actual chance, if he'd made the choice himself without any form of sway it'd probably be spent in his room or trying to find a way off of campus to spend it in another way. He coughed roughly while a finger slide along the collar of his button-up shirt while he loosened the grip it held at his throat. Wearing a jacket with his assembled had been out of the question, that just would have been too much for him to want to deal with. Instead he decided to skirt around the 'Formal' by wearing deep purple vest over a crisp and white button-up shirt. The black slacks had been the obvious choice given that it had been the only thing he could get on such short notice. 

This would be the last time he'd have any form of party in the halls of Tallygarunga, when the next year would come he'd already be moved on out, graduated and starting a much more adult life. At least a step towards that direction, he wasn't out of that bracket just yet but in due time he would be. As he walked further into the hall his eyes lifted up to first spot the twinkling of the spheres that sat as if to showcase their gleam in the center of the massive room. It had nearly reminded him of the party that happened earlier in the year, of course, he skipped out on that for many reasons. Maybe he did owe the school one final showing for that ditch effort? 

There were still people coming in, some with dates and others in the similar situation as him, going stag. "Can't believe I let her talk me into actually showin' up." He remarked towards himself and posted up at one of the table to grab himself a fizzy refreshment. Something that could ease the dryness within his throat and simultaneously ease the bubbling nervousness that took place in the pit of his stomach. He'd never been comfortable with handling that feeling, when it should have been an issue it never was, only when he didn't fully want to commit to an idea. An idea like showing up to a ball for a promised dance. 

He could stay long enough until that dance, right? Afterwards no one could blame him for leaving right after that if he needed to do that. In the mean time he just turned his sights on the various decorations, the attempt that had been made for the sake of the Students and Staff alike. He still stood by the premise the Elemental Magic Professor had been a certifiable loon, but at least the work put into the event looked as if it would seemingly payoff. 

Bourke Shio
15 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ He/Him

His hair refused to cooperate today. Maybe it was the humidity, or the new shampoo, or the moon out of alignment or something. Iggy never could figure out how his hair worked, some days it seemed to grow in all directions and be somehow both too long and two short.
So he’d given up, tying his hair back in a short fluffy ponytail and letting his bangs flow freely. It was still floating around his face as though he was wearing a fish bowl over his head, but at least now it was kept out of his eyes. 

The balls he had grown up hearing about were extravagant affairs, a careful dance with as much communicated in what was left unsaid as the words themselves. But a school ball was apparently far less perilous, so he had prepared as best he could. 

His hair was sprouting white water lilies again, so he’d attempted to make it look deliberate by matching his clothes. He’d chosen an asymmetrical tunic in cranberry red and white, with a pale gold sash tying it together and dull gold leggings. There was no knowing if the lilies would stay white of course, but you could only plan for so much.

None of the other students present thus far had worn anything like what he’d chosen, in fact most of the male students seemed to have worn suits. If Iggy had been more aware of fashion trends he might have noticed that what he was wearing was more feminine by human standards, to the point he could easily be mistaken for female - but then fae culture had always been far less concerned with such things and he'd always looked fairly ambiguous.

He didn’t recognise anybody there, so he drifted over toward the buffet table for a glass of fruit punch. The voice beside him made him start slightly, and assuming he was being spoken to he responded:
'Who did? A teacher? I didn't know this event was compulsory...'

His shoulders shifted in the coat and dress shirt that had been worn, it felt increasingly uncomfortable to him with the way it had formed around him. A sign that he should have had a tailor take in better measurements to compensate for his broad and defined shoulders. At least the pants and shoes were a lot more comfortable which made the more immediate problem only a small comfort to deal with in knowing that it could always be worse for him. Fingers curled around the paper cup that held his recently fetched drink, pressing the edge of it to his lips he only took a sip from it trying to make it last longer to limit how often he'd be downing the liquids. Eyes scanned along the dance floor and the walls to see if the person he'd been waiting for the first place had shown up yet or at the very least been in view. 

At least until a voice that had seemed to come from below him chimed in and it seemed as if the individual had caught on to his personal musings. "Nah, man. This event is optional." He at least hoped it had been optional, the flyers posted around school didn't seem to allude to the opposite. It just seemed like some form of celebration that had been geared towards seeing the leaving class off while also trying to 'quell the unrest' as he considered from the tension of the year. It hadn't eased him any but maybe it would do well for the younger students, they needed the break. "Was talked into comin' to this dance from an underclassman of mines. This kind of thing ain't my kind of scene." His shoulders adjusted once more trying to find another moment of comfort in the torso, formalwear always had a very odd wave for him at the bit of his stomach. It felt more unnatural than it probably should have. 

Tyson took in a deep breath and exhaled to ease his nerves of being in an environment that had been the very definition of foreign to him. His eyes darted from decoration to another then towards the band that had gathered themselves in practiced coordination and moved through their set fluidly. "Didn't think the school would go all out like this, ya feel? Thought they'd just get some kind of ratty record player and just slap something one and call it entertainment." An actual band, that's the kind of thing he didn't expect to see happen in any of his days at school. Then a hum resonated within his throat as his mind ran through the few scenarios that there had been an event or shindig tossed together. "Maybe they have before. . .? Eh, ain't like it really matters. Never been to the dances or parties before."

He shifted his attention towards Ignatius to give a bit more respect. "Yo', my bad. Got caught up tryna make the time pass by." For all of his attempt to try and make the event go by quickly for himself time itself hadn't caught on to that same note. "Ya' gonna go out there and dance like some of the folks? Or plan to play the 'Keep away from the dance floor' like I am?

Bourke Shio

Iggy took another look around the halls, taking in the bright decorations, the party goers and the band playing on low as they waited for the last of the stragglers to arrive. He understood that song requests were open, but he couldn’t imagine what sort of music would be appropriate. He could already tell anything he had heard about balls was completely inaccurate - this didn’t seem to be so much a ‘ball’ as a dance party. The fact that dances could be more informal than this boggled the mind - although maybe what constituted a ‘dance’ in human culture was rather more relaxed.

Either way, it was his first time at any sort of group celebration - if one didn’t count the adventurous trip to the bar a month or so ago.
‘I’m beginning to feel like my source of information was off…’ Iggy laughed. ‘I didn’t realise we were supposed to bring partners.’ His cheeks tinted red for a moment. The last he’d heard people were supposed to be introduced at balls - but in hindsight that seemed incongruous with the rest of modern culture. No one was ever introduced to anyone anymore outside of the fae courts.

‘In my defense - other magical schools are a little more formal…’
Or at least they were according to his parents. Maybe even Hogwarts had changed by now. Or maybe this was an Australian thing, that was also possible, people seemed generally more relaxed.

"Eh?" His voice rolled out for a moment as he glanced to Iggy, the Dance floor with a few of the coupled shufflers, and then back to the small teen. "Nah, man, ya' ain't required to bring partners or nothing. Heck, I sure as heck hadn't even thought of doing that." His arms pushed skywards as he stretched the muscles that had started to seem just a bit tight. "Nothing wrong with rolling stag, ya' probably will find a few people that prefer that kind of a thing. Different reasons and all, ya' feel?" He wouldn't know what those reasons could be for each person but as far as personal choices went, the person he'd have wanted to come and show off couldn't. It just wasn't a viable thing for them to even show or attempt it without some kind of issue being raised up. That had been one of the risks he'd been willing to take. 

"Heh, To be fair, I don't think the other magical schools have: Alan Burdett as Head Master or the list of unorthodox professors on the list like Tally does." The thought alone caused a grin to touch onto his lips and he offered a small shrug. "Some folks say we get the worse of the worse, ya' know, rejects or ones that couldn't make it in the private sector. But personally, I think these are some of the kind of folks ya' need to be exposed to. A real good look at people and not the, well, 'One percent'." That's all he viewed people in Penrose and Greyeheme as, the one percent, people who had Daddy or Mommy's money make their way into a school that had just been about status and not truly learning or growth. "And this is pretty formal by my personal book. Stupid suit. . ." Hands grasped at the lower lining of the jacket and light tugged it to fit along his shoulders once more. 

"I probably wouldn't even be here if I hadn't promised a friend, ya' know? I'd have preferred to get some last minute training in on somethin'. As long as it wasn't this kind of a thing." Tyson slid a hand along the top of his head, brushing the short and neatly cut fuzz. He'd been in disbelief that Samantha had actually convinced him with the whole, 'Last Dance' bit. More surprised that he'd been a sucker for that kind of romantic notion of friends parting as if it'd be the last time in a long, long time. "Guessin' ya' one of the new students that popped on in this year, yea?

Bourke Shio

Iggy grinned, pressing a hand to his chest and exhaling loudly in a pantomime of relief. 

‘Thank goodness! I would have hated to make an inadvertent faux pax on my first group showing.’ 

There had been nothing on the poster about bringing anyone along, but he had been naturally nervous when seeing how many other students were in pairs - and had to wonder if it was an unspoken expectation. But apparently not.

When Tyson claimed that Tallygarunga had a reputation for sub-standard education, Iggy frowned in confusion. He had heard something of the opposite - but then unorthodox and strange was very much the order of the day in his family.
‘Ah. That explains why my parents were so insistent then.’ He offered a paper plate of pastries after taking one for himself. ‘They wanted me to attend school for social reasons, but they’re also a little strange so it might explain why Tally was so high on their list.’

He nibbled at his pastry, trying not to be too obvious about following Tyson's nervous movements, watching from his peripheral vision. The suit seemed too tight to be comfortable - was it borrowed? And perhaps the haircut was new to him, if he kept fiddling with it like that.
‘What do you train for?’ Something sporty maybe - Quidditch? He had been meaning to sign up for a class or a team, if there were any spots left.

‘I arrived just as term two began, so it was too late to start classes. We decided it would be better if I used the time to acclimatise to the country and the campus, give myself some space.’

He shook his head. ‘Sorry, I’m Iggy.’ He held out his hand.

"Yea, man, ya' all good with that. Most folks probably won't even really think twice about it, ya' feel? Even then ya' do what makes it comfortable.  Best way to handle any thing in life." At the very least it would keep an individual honest with themselves no matter the circumstances that may unravel. "Sometimes a bit of a mess up ain't so bad either. Gets a good laugh and can actually make a night a bit better than ya' intended." He couldn't count how many times a slip up has worked out in his favor, whether it'd been on the field or in every day life encounters. 

Tyson glanced towards the offered pastries, could he really afford to take one of those and not feel like he messed up his training and careful food choices? His hand rose up and he shook his head slightly after giving it more reasonable thought. "Nah, but thanks. I already took my cheat snack earlier today. Have to keep myself on some careful management and all that." He didn't believe that tasting it would set him back majorly or that he'd drop dead from partaking in a single crumb of it. But he found it had more to do with self discipline and keeping to his own word on what he'd allow and when if only to better conduct himself with certainty. "Oh, yea? School's great for the social aspect and all that. Not so much with, ya' know, status and all to the entitled community. But, ya' meet folks from all sorts of walks and backgrounds. Good way to see the larger world than just a part of it.

One of the benefits of going to the school had been not only its intention to focus on the Students but to open up to the larger community, people of all types and lives without reservation or restriction. Every person in the walls had been on equal grounds even if they didn't want to be. 

"A few things here and there. I've ran on the Quidditich team, both for Bourke House and the School Team since I could sign up and pop up on a broom." It had been an obvious choice for most Wizards and not one that he regretted getting into along with the challenges that came with him that allowed for a good way to test himself. "Also train in the martial arts, Muay Thai. I don't expect ya' to know and all that. Most people I run into don't know it since that kind of thing isn't big in the Wizarding world. A kind of thing to help remind me that there are two worlds and I shouldn't forget where I came from. It's also a pretty good stress relief and a way to build up discipline." Along with physical tolerance and a way to defend oneself, never know when it would come in handy for self-defense or in the defense of another. Something that he expected to give him an extra edge in his Auror exams whenever he decided to take them after proper training in the University. 

He nodded towards him. "Yea, makes sense. If ya' new to the area then it's better to get a lay of the land and the kind of weather that will happen. Nothin' like being surprised by a sudden heatwave that pops up. It can get pretty rough without preparing well too." Another sip had been taken from the cup until it had been drained of liquid. "Hope there's a better handle on what ya' will be walking into next year. Sure there will be folks around to help out too if a slip up happens." Unfortunately, he wouldn't be there next year. 

His hand extended out to grasp Ignatius' and offered a firm hold and shake ."Nice to meet ya', Iggy. I'm Tyson, which too bad it took this long to meet. This is the last year I have here.

Sign in to follow this