Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
Sign in to follow this  
Tyson McKennis

On the way Out

VMU Students ☆ Quidditich Player - Chaser , Muay Thai Assistant✩ Kaitore
18 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ HE/HIM

Tyson didn't want to give the whole 'Ball' thing an actual chance, if he'd made the choice himself without any form of sway it'd probably be spent in his room or trying to find a way off of campus to spend it in another way. He coughed roughly while a finger slide along the collar of his button-up shirt while he loosened the grip it held at his throat. Wearing a jacket with his assembled had been out of the question, that just would have been too much for him to want to deal with. Instead he decided to skirt around the 'Formal' by wearing deep purple vest over a crisp and white button-up shirt. The black slacks had been the obvious choice given that it had been the only thing he could get on such short notice. 

This would be the last time he'd have any form of party in the halls of Tallygarunga, when the next year would come he'd already be moved on out, graduated and starting a much more adult life. At least a step towards that direction, he wasn't out of that bracket just yet but in due time he would be. As he walked further into the hall his eyes lifted up to first spot the twinkling of the spheres that sat as if to showcase their gleam in the center of the massive room. It had nearly reminded him of the party that happened earlier in the year, of course, he skipped out on that for many reasons. Maybe he did owe the school one final showing for that ditch effort? 

There were still people coming in, some with dates and others in the similar situation as him, going stag. "Can't believe I let her talk me into actually showin' up." He remarked towards himself and posted up at one of the table to grab himself a fizzy refreshment. Something that could ease the dryness within his throat and simultaneously ease the bubbling nervousness that took place in the pit of his stomach. He'd never been comfortable with handling that feeling, when it should have been an issue it never was, only when he didn't fully want to commit to an idea. An idea like showing up to a ball for a promised dance. 

He could stay long enough until that dance, right? Afterwards no one could blame him for leaving right after that if he needed to do that. In the mean time he just turned his sights on the various decorations, the attempt that had been made for the sake of the Students and Staff alike. He still stood by the premise the Elemental Magic Professor had been a certifiable loon, but at least the work put into the event looked as if it would seemingly payoff. 

Bourke ☆ Fourth Year Shio
16 year old Pureblood Fairy ☆ He/Him

His hair refused to cooperate today. Maybe it was the humidity, or the new shampoo, or the moon out of alignment or something. Iggy never could figure out how his hair worked, some days it seemed to grow in all directions and be somehow both too long and two short.
So he’d given up, tying his hair back in a short fluffy ponytail and letting his bangs flow freely. It was still floating around his face as though he was wearing a fish bowl over his head, but at least now it was kept out of his eyes. 

The balls he had grown up hearing about were extravagant affairs, a careful dance with as much communicated in what was left unsaid as the words themselves. But a school ball was apparently far less perilous, so he had prepared as best he could. 

His hair was sprouting white water lilies again, so he’d attempted to make it look deliberate by matching his clothes. He’d chosen an asymmetrical tunic in cranberry red and white, with a pale gold sash tying it together and dull gold leggings. There was no knowing if the lilies would stay white of course, but you could only plan for so much.

None of the other students present thus far had worn anything like what he’d chosen, in fact most of the male students seemed to have worn suits. If Iggy had been more aware of fashion trends he might have noticed that what he was wearing was more feminine by human standards, to the point he could easily be mistaken for female - but then fae culture had always been far less concerned with such things and he'd always looked fairly ambiguous.

He didn’t recognise anybody there, so he drifted over toward the buffet table for a glass of fruit punch. The voice beside him made him start slightly, and assuming he was being spoken to he responded:
'Who did? A teacher? I didn't know this event was compulsory...'

His shoulders shifted in the coat and dress shirt that had been worn, it felt increasingly uncomfortable to him with the way it had formed around him. A sign that he should have had a tailor take in better measurements to compensate for his broad and defined shoulders. At least the pants and shoes were a lot more comfortable which made the more immediate problem only a small comfort to deal with in knowing that it could always be worse for him. Fingers curled around the paper cup that held his recently fetched drink, pressing the edge of it to his lips he only took a sip from it trying to make it last longer to limit how often he'd be downing the liquids. Eyes scanned along the dance floor and the walls to see if the person he'd been waiting for the first place had shown up yet or at the very least been in view. 

At least until a voice that had seemed to come from below him chimed in and it seemed as if the individual had caught on to his personal musings. "Nah, man. This event is optional." He at least hoped it had been optional, the flyers posted around school didn't seem to allude to the opposite. It just seemed like some form of celebration that had been geared towards seeing the leaving class off while also trying to 'quell the unrest' as he considered from the tension of the year. It hadn't eased him any but maybe it would do well for the younger students, they needed the break. "Was talked into comin' to this dance from an underclassman of mines. This kind of thing ain't my kind of scene." His shoulders adjusted once more trying to find another moment of comfort in the torso, formalwear always had a very odd wave for him at the bit of his stomach. It felt more unnatural than it probably should have. 

Tyson took in a deep breath and exhaled to ease his nerves of being in an environment that had been the very definition of foreign to him. His eyes darted from decoration to another then towards the band that had gathered themselves in practiced coordination and moved through their set fluidly. "Didn't think the school would go all out like this, ya feel? Thought they'd just get some kind of ratty record player and just slap something one and call it entertainment." An actual band, that's the kind of thing he didn't expect to see happen in any of his days at school. Then a hum resonated within his throat as his mind ran through the few scenarios that there had been an event or shindig tossed together. "Maybe they have before. . .? Eh, ain't like it really matters. Never been to the dances or parties before."

He shifted his attention towards Ignatius to give a bit more respect. "Yo', my bad. Got caught up tryna make the time pass by." For all of his attempt to try and make the event go by quickly for himself time itself hadn't caught on to that same note. "Ya' gonna go out there and dance like some of the folks? Or plan to play the 'Keep away from the dance floor' like I am?

Iggy took another look around the halls, taking in the bright decorations, the party goers and the band playing on low as they waited for the last of the stragglers to arrive. He understood that song requests were open, but he couldn’t imagine what sort of music would be appropriate. He could already tell anything he had heard about balls was completely inaccurate - this didn’t seem to be so much a ‘ball’ as a dance party. The fact that dances could be more informal than this boggled the mind - although maybe what constituted a ‘dance’ in human culture was rather more relaxed.

Either way, it was his first time at any sort of group celebration - if one didn’t count the adventurous trip to the bar a month or so ago.
‘I’m beginning to feel like my source of information was off…’ Iggy laughed. ‘I didn’t realise we were supposed to bring partners.’ His cheeks tinted red for a moment. The last he’d heard people were supposed to be introduced at balls - but in hindsight that seemed incongruous with the rest of modern culture. No one was ever introduced to anyone anymore outside of the fae courts.

‘In my defense - other magical schools are a little more formal…’
Or at least they were according to his parents. Maybe even Hogwarts had changed by now. Or maybe this was an Australian thing, that was also possible, people seemed generally more relaxed.

"Eh?" His voice rolled out for a moment as he glanced to Iggy, the Dance floor with a few of the coupled shufflers, and then back to the small teen. "Nah, man, ya' ain't required to bring partners or nothing. Heck, I sure as heck hadn't even thought of doing that." His arms pushed skywards as he stretched the muscles that had started to seem just a bit tight. "Nothing wrong with rolling stag, ya' probably will find a few people that prefer that kind of a thing. Different reasons and all, ya' feel?" He wouldn't know what those reasons could be for each person but as far as personal choices went, the person he'd have wanted to come and show off couldn't. It just wasn't a viable thing for them to even show or attempt it without some kind of issue being raised up. That had been one of the risks he'd been willing to take. 

"Heh, To be fair, I don't think the other magical schools have: Alan Burdett as Head Master or the list of unorthodox professors on the list like Tally does." The thought alone caused a grin to touch onto his lips and he offered a small shrug. "Some folks say we get the worse of the worse, ya' know, rejects or ones that couldn't make it in the private sector. But personally, I think these are some of the kind of folks ya' need to be exposed to. A real good look at people and not the, well, 'One percent'." That's all he viewed people in Penrose and Greyeheme as, the one percent, people who had Daddy or Mommy's money make their way into a school that had just been about status and not truly learning or growth. "And this is pretty formal by my personal book. Stupid suit. . ." Hands grasped at the lower lining of the jacket and light tugged it to fit along his shoulders once more. 

"I probably wouldn't even be here if I hadn't promised a friend, ya' know? I'd have preferred to get some last minute training in on somethin'. As long as it wasn't this kind of a thing." Tyson slid a hand along the top of his head, brushing the short and neatly cut fuzz. He'd been in disbelief that Samantha had actually convinced him with the whole, 'Last Dance' bit. More surprised that he'd been a sucker for that kind of romantic notion of friends parting as if it'd be the last time in a long, long time. "Guessin' ya' one of the new students that popped on in this year, yea?

Iggy grinned, pressing a hand to his chest and exhaling loudly in a pantomime of relief. 

‘Thank goodness! I would have hated to make an inadvertent faux pax on my first group showing.’ 

There had been nothing on the poster about bringing anyone along, but he had been naturally nervous when seeing how many other students were in pairs - and had to wonder if it was an unspoken expectation. But apparently not.

When Tyson claimed that Tallygarunga had a reputation for sub-standard education, Iggy frowned in confusion. He had heard something of the opposite - but then unorthodox and strange was very much the order of the day in his family.
‘Ah. That explains why my parents were so insistent then.’ He offered a paper plate of pastries after taking one for himself. ‘They wanted me to attend school for social reasons, but they’re also a little strange so it might explain why Tally was so high on their list.’

He nibbled at his pastry, trying not to be too obvious about following Tyson's nervous movements, watching from his peripheral vision. The suit seemed too tight to be comfortable - was it borrowed? And perhaps the haircut was new to him, if he kept fiddling with it like that.
‘What do you train for?’ Something sporty maybe - Quidditch? He had been meaning to sign up for a class or a team, if there were any spots left.

‘I arrived just as term two began, so it was too late to start classes. We decided it would be better if I used the time to acclimatise to the country and the campus, give myself some space.’

He shook his head. ‘Sorry, I’m Iggy.’ He held out his hand.

"Yea, man, ya' all good with that. Most folks probably won't even really think twice about it, ya' feel? Even then ya' do what makes it comfortable.  Best way to handle any thing in life." At the very least it would keep an individual honest with themselves no matter the circumstances that may unravel. "Sometimes a bit of a mess up ain't so bad either. Gets a good laugh and can actually make a night a bit better than ya' intended." He couldn't count how many times a slip up has worked out in his favor, whether it'd been on the field or in every day life encounters. 

Tyson glanced towards the offered pastries, could he really afford to take one of those and not feel like he messed up his training and careful food choices? His hand rose up and he shook his head slightly after giving it more reasonable thought. "Nah, but thanks. I already took my cheat snack earlier today. Have to keep myself on some careful management and all that." He didn't believe that tasting it would set him back majorly or that he'd drop dead from partaking in a single crumb of it. But he found it had more to do with self discipline and keeping to his own word on what he'd allow and when if only to better conduct himself with certainty. "Oh, yea? School's great for the social aspect and all that. Not so much with, ya' know, status and all to the entitled community. But, ya' meet folks from all sorts of walks and backgrounds. Good way to see the larger world than just a part of it.

One of the benefits of going to the school had been not only its intention to focus on the Students but to open up to the larger community, people of all types and lives without reservation or restriction. Every person in the walls had been on equal grounds even if they didn't want to be. 

"A few things here and there. I've ran on the Quidditich team, both for Bourke House and the School Team since I could sign up and pop up on a broom." It had been an obvious choice for most Wizards and not one that he regretted getting into along with the challenges that came with him that allowed for a good way to test himself. "Also train in the martial arts, Muay Thai. I don't expect ya' to know and all that. Most people I run into don't know it since that kind of thing isn't big in the Wizarding world. A kind of thing to help remind me that there are two worlds and I shouldn't forget where I came from. It's also a pretty good stress relief and a way to build up discipline." Along with physical tolerance and a way to defend oneself, never know when it would come in handy for self-defense or in the defense of another. Something that he expected to give him an extra edge in his Auror exams whenever he decided to take them after proper training in the University. 

He nodded towards him. "Yea, makes sense. If ya' new to the area then it's better to get a lay of the land and the kind of weather that will happen. Nothin' like being surprised by a sudden heatwave that pops up. It can get pretty rough without preparing well too." Another sip had been taken from the cup until it had been drained of liquid. "Hope there's a better handle on what ya' will be walking into next year. Sure there will be folks around to help out too if a slip up happens." Unfortunately, he wouldn't be there next year. 

His hand extended out to grasp Ignatius' and offered a firm hold and shake ."Nice to meet ya', Iggy. I'm Tyson, which too bad it took this long to meet. This is the last year I have here.

Iggy took a syrupy pastry and nibbled on one corner, attempting to be delicate and only succeeding in spilling almonds all down his shirt. 

‘Gah!’ He brushed frantically at the cloth, shaking the sash out and trying to chase the crumbs out of the seams. The remainder of the pastry was crammed unceremoniously into his mouth in his haste to prevent his tunic staining. 

‘… I should get a plate.’ Feeling slightly sheepish, he took one from the table and placed the half eaten pastry on top - it felt like defeat.

Chewing, he considered what Tyson was saying about his training, taking a moment to swallow before answering.
‘Why do you need to fight? Is that normal for wizards? I mean- you have a wand.’

There seemed to be far easier ways to stay in shape, and martial arts seemed fairly useless if someone could send you flying with a flick of the wrist. Plus hitting people would be unpleasant - it made his skin tingle just thinking about it.
‘Oh… that’s too bad. Are you going professional with Quidditch? I was thinking of trying for a team this year, if I turn out to be any good that is.’
He still had crumbs at the corner of his mouth that he hadn't noticed, too focused on talking now that his tunic was saved. 
'What position do you play- Did you play? Or do you still play? I sort of lost that part of the conversation. How good do you have to be to get on a team?'

An arm crossed over his chest, the other rested an elbow on top it while using the hand to curl around his face to hide a growing smirk. It gave him the image of a small child that realized they would get in trouble for dirtying their formalwear. When his arms lowered back down he took in a deep breath to steady his nerves from bursting out into a laughter. 

"If ya' that worried about gettin' ya, just make it float a bit and snack it. Sometimes a plate ain't as fun." It had been one of his preferred ways when he didn't really feel like physically holding a piece of food, have it make its way to him and carefully munch on it. If it got on the floor? Oh well, that hadn't been his job to clean up!

Tyson thoughtfully hummed. "Normal for Wizards? Nah, I don't think so. Most are too busy thinking they're too good to dip into the Muggle world." He set his cup down onto a nearby table and placed his hands into the pocket of his trousers. "But the martial arts these day's ain't just about learning how to fight. It teaches discipline and restraint or at least those are many of the tenants." It hadn't hurt to learn how to defend himself in a pinch and in most cases he wouldn't worry about a 'perfect form', he'd been trained enough that he could transition several blows without a person recognizing it in the first moments of a struggle. "Ya' also can't really use magic on Muggles, if something comes up, always a good thing to defend yourself in another. Plus, most Wizard's wouldn't know it had been coming themselves.

He shrugged lightly. "Someone's bound to get cocky and think having their wand pointed at ya' has you in checkmate. A good kick to their legs won't just drop em', it'd surprise them enough that you can disarm them physically and shift the field in your favor." Wandless magic had still been the larger issue in that kind of hypothetical scenario but most weren't proficient in that art to even make it work effectively in high tension. 

Slowly his lips turned to a thin line, the edge of his teeth gnawed gently at his inner lips. "Dunno, it's a pretty big kind of career but means living in the limelight of entertainment. Still thinking if that's the kind of thing for me, probably leaning more towards Auror training." A different kind of light there and that kind of pressure had been much more uncertain than the idea of national Quidditich. "Yea? Ya' should give it a go when signups hit next year. Pretty late in the year now but next year they're gonna be looking for folks to really be showing their stuff. Both School and House teams." Eyes lowered to see the speck of crumbs that had stuck to the young teen's face which prompted Tyson to reach out for a napkin and hand it towards Iggy casually. "Ya' got a bit more along the edges of the mouth.

It hadn't bothered him but figured it may have been an embarrassing encounter with others on such a formal night. "I primarily play Chaser, if I do play. But I can double up as a Beater or Seeker, really depends on the need of the team, ya' know? I wouldn't be the first pick for me as a Seeker, smaller and lighter folks are much better. I do have all the daring that the position needs." A soft nod flowed from him. "Sometimes ya' need to be willing to do some of the most dangerous stuff in that position and take a hell of a beating from others trying to foul you.

Iggy eyed his pastry critically. Making it float would be easy, but keeping it at the correct height and not accidentally dropping it was another matter entirely. He’d already made a bit of an idiot of himself by nearly ruining his nice tunic, he didn’t really want to make a mess of his boots too. 

That and he hadn’t brought his wand; it wasn’t needed, more a piece of camouflage than anything else, but he didn’t really want to give himself away to someone on whom he was trying to make an impression.

Thankfully the topic seemed to have moved on, and while he succeeded in making the thing wobble above the plate for a moment - his curiosity got the better of him - trying to talk at the same time made it impossible to concentrate. The pastry fell with a bit of a splat when the topic of violence surfaced.

‘Are muggles so likely to seek a fight?’ That was concerning, especially since magic in self defense wasn’t really seen in a positive light by the wizarding government. How then would they treat a fae whose magic still had a tendency to go haywire? He could end up turning their heads into something strange.

Iggy had a sudden powerful image of a stately wizard toppling from a punch to the nose and snorted, covering the sound with his hand - there was an idea. 

‘I’ll have to remember that if occasion should arise.’ He mumbled, still trying to stifle a chuckle. It was a useful thing to know. 

… and just when he thought the conversation was going well, he had crumbs stuck to his face. He scrubbed them off with the back of his hand and looked away, blushing up to his ears. ‘Gods I’m a right idiot- Can’t even eat cake.’ He cleared his throat. ‘So, an auror? My father works in that area, though he doesn’t tell me much. It seems rather dangerous.’

He bit his lip against another huge grin. ‘Although I’m sure a werewolf wouldn’t expect a swift kick to the face.’

Tyson didn't think much on the potential fact of formalwear getting a bit ruined, it'd been one of the risks a person should be ready to take with such gatherings. It hadn't made it any less amusing to him at the effort that had been made to try and keep the crumbs and more messier decorations that made up the pastry. There had been little to no time for reaction to stop the foodstuff from dropping as it collided into a hard surface after it'd been suspended in the air momentarily. An expression etched on his face that could be read simply as, 'Yikes!'. "Gotta' hate when that happens. Don't worry it's pretty common the first few tries, eventually, ya' get used to multitasking with it.

There'd been no way for him to perceive that it'd been the sudden shift towards violence that seemed to stop up the young Fairy. "I don't think the world of Muggles is much different than any other people in a society." He shrugged calmly. "Some are confrontational, others aren't, some are aggressive while others will be very pacifist. But the point of preparing for anything is to make sure that ya' can handle a handful of situations with the skills developed." The way that he viewed it, there may be a time where using his wand or magic wouldn't be viable, where the efforts and pursuits of the physical form would just enough or the only other option until the course of something changed. 

A chuckle eased out while his head shook. It seemed like Iggy had been a bit out of his own environment, about as much as himself as far as he could personally tell. With the conversation shifted towards the path of Auror, a nod of confirmation flowed. "Aye', but someone has to stand up doing the thankless job. Lots of divisions for the Auror's too, things that need to be covered with a few specialized hands." He wasn't sure which would call to him first but there'd been plenty of time to eventually come to that conclusion and see where his talents had laid in the career. "I bet there's tons of stuff he can't say anyways, ya' know, the quirks of the job. Only allowed to say what's been purposefully released to the public.

He imagined there were many who broke that particular rule to significant others or those they trusted as a confidante, but that didn't stop it from being a clause in making sure investigations could be done unhindered. 

There'd been a snorted laughter at the joke made. "Yea, I think I'd be pullin' back a stub or just some bone. I can hit pretty hard but not THAT hard, haha.

Iggy scooped the remains of his pastry up onto the paper plate and dropped the whole thing into a nearby dustbin. He dusted his fingers off, surreptitiously using a tiny bit of magic to make the crumbs fall off neatly rather than leaving his hands sticky.

The sandwiches seemed safer. He took a salad one from the table and transferred it to a clean plate. He frowned. ‘I didn’t think we were likely to be involved in many fights at school.’

His parents had specifically sent him to Tallygarunga to get away from any of that mischief, if they had been mislead he really should tell them. But he really didn’t want to get transferred again, he’d only just finished unpacking everything.

‘Dad’s pretty used to dodging questions.’ Iggy sighed hard enough to stir his bangs away from his face. ‘It makes it impossible to lie to him and impossible to get him to tell the truth. He wiggles right out, like an eel.’ He wiggled his arms and swayed his body to demonstrate. ‘It’s infuriating.’

Having a magical cop as a parent had its downsides. Thankfully neither of Iggy’s parents had ever been particularly overprotective, but it made keeping secrets especially hard which was tough on a teenage boy. 

‘Have you ever seen a werewolf? What would you do if you met one?’ 

Just then, the music volume got a little louder and the tune changed to something decidedly more lively. Several students moved into the dance area and began moving around - Iggy found himself staring despite himself. He pointed at them quickly, mindful not to be rude about it. 'Is that... the dancing? It... looks complicated....?' 
There wasn't any rhyme or reason to the steps that he could see, were there just that many, or?

"Ya' never know when a fight will break out. If they were easily predictable they'd be stopped more easily, ya feel?" Were fights expected in a school environment where multiple personalities collided even in the same House? He thought so. It seemed like a far more obvious deduction given the combative natures that could and probably did exist across the student body. "Some folks might say one thing or act a specific way that causes a sudden kick up.

The school itself had been a target for a fight waiting to happen on another level entirely, being the only one that would accept people of other races and abilities. As much as he hated to admit it there'd been a nice juicy target on them and most students didn't even notice it yet. 

Tyson offered a half smirk that had been followed by a low chuckle. "Some questions shouldn't be answered, yea? Ain't just about protection Gotta' think about clauses and contracts and all that other stuff." He often thought about the situation of Auror's no different than a company that had its own 'secret recipe' to their product or a unique way that they built something up. Except it'd been less about giving away info to the competition and far more about keeping the things they know out of the hands of the people they need to chase or encounter in some way. "The chaos of legal tape as it is.

His smile grew and a full-formed laughter rumbled out. "I ain't never seen an actual werewolf transformed. And I don't look at folks long enough to see if they're popping off the signs of one on the week of a full moon." That hadn't been his business in general, there were facilities to manage those issues if the individual had been properly registered. He didn't expect his chances of actually running into one being good as it was anyways, the sightings of such creatures had been rare and often mistaken reports from the few things he did read. However. . . "If I did manage to meet one well. . . I guess I'd run first ask questions later. Trained teams have issues with that stuff, haha, what chance do I have?" The smile hadn't dimmed while he spoke, the thought of it had been humorous. 

With the attention pushed towards the dance floor, the music seemed to usher in a vitalized effect with students. "Could just be their style. Tons of ways to dance and most of it not connected to some formal style." While he hadn't been a stranger to certain styles of dance he found that the 'Haphazard style' of rhythm and movement most people held had been the average tone in a lot of cultures. "Ya probably will find that a lot of the people met won't know a lick about a style of dance but have personal moves that fit for them.

The whole idea of having to fight to defend himself didn’t seem like an attractive one to Iggy, but he supposed it really was no different than back home. The problem was he hardly knew the rules of engagement, or even if there were any. He knew fighting was illegal, but if people did it anyway what consequences could there really be? Defying authority at home was an excellent way to get oneself killed, or at least trapped in a very unpleasant situation. 

Until he learned a little more magic, he would have to depend on other people to keep him out of trouble, which wasn’t a very nice thought.

Iggy watched the dancing a little more, frowning as he looked more closely at what people were actually doing.
‘It’s just made up?’ That seemed sort of obvious now that Tyson said it, but Iggy was a little baffled about how such a gathering could be called a ‘ball’ when it was becoming increasingly clear that there were no formalities or proper behaviour beyond what was normal in a classroom.

He shook his head. ‘I need to get out more.’ He took a long sip of his drink and polished off his sandwich. 

Stepping onto the floor, he offered the taller boy his hand. 
‘Do you want join me? It’s less awkward if we both do it, after all.’

It wasn’t his intention to put Tyson on the spot or to make him uncomfortable, rather he thought that perhaps the reason the young man wasn’t dancing was because he had no partner. That was natural. There was always someone left by the wayside at these sort of events. It was always polite to ask, to give someone an opportunity to join in if they wanted to. 
He grinned. 'Don't worry. I'll protect you from werewolves.' 

There would be some that saw fighting in a far more unimpressed or disgusted light likewise there were others on the far other spectrum. For Tyson? It simply was a neutral stance, it was a necessity in a world where anything could happen even in the more mundane realms. When it came to magic there were far more chances and moments where something would end up coming up as with power in hand the thoughts of the human mind might expand beyond the code of morals and good intentions. That or maybe even an excessive attempt at a 'good intention' that could hardly be seen as such. 

"Most likely. Some might have different kinds of dance experience. But some are just difficult to do while dressed up." His own gaze lowered towards his ensemble. If it hadn't been for this he knew a couple of styles that would be far easier to perform but they required too much room on top of the fact that he'd most likely end up bumping into someone if no one had been mindful of their own personal awareness. Really, it'd been a moment for people to blow off a bit of steam after difficult tests especially for the Sixth and Seventh years as much as it had been a time to give a 'Proper farewell' to the graduating year.

A soft snort of laughter rumbled out of him. "Yea, I think that's something everyone needs to do regardless. Always something to learn." The last few years had been informative, things he wouldn't have learned if he followed the old ways of his life. Yet, there'd been the obvious understanding for him that it wasn't even close to a fraction of exposure to the kinds of things and people that really were out in the world. 

"Oh, nah, I'm good, man. I ended up promising my date I'd dance with her first." 'Date', It had been odd calling Samantha that to him. It'd been far more friendly than them attempting something in the capacity of a 'couple'. It'd been the far more accurate phrase of it, that much he could admit. A smirk touched his lips for a moment and he shook his head. "Ya' don't need to worry about Werewolves when it comes to me! I always have a steak nearby." That had been more of a slight joke about himself being a kind of jock that only took in protein to buff up. A crude misinformation but it seemed to work as a minor joke. 

"Just have fun with it, Gotta' just be ya' self. Might even have folks join in and not even know why. They're here to forget the school stress and all that." Probably as much as they're trying to forget any other problems within their life.