School Status:
Ending Term 4

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.

Adoptable Spotlight

THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC
Sign in to follow this  
Ashkar Gastrell

Invite There's a Fine, Fine Line

Tally Staff ☆ IWP undercover Agent/Professor of Magical TheoryPoppy
45 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Two weeks had passed since that call from his sister which had let to a much larger problem. His falling out with Elektra, if it could be called that. He’d essentially told her everything he knew that she didn’t then walked out. It wasn’t so much walked out as he decided that space was something that was required. The time was going supposed to be few days perhaps a week, but that week at stretched into the two. It didn’t help that he was also actively not doing everything he should be. He was a convicted criminal and had duties he was supposed to meet for the International Wizarding Police.

Needless to say he’d not been too any of the contact points, had avoided going to Tallygarunga and had pretty much been living off the the magical grid for those weeks. This had not stopped one of his precocious nieces from finding him though. He’d come home earlier that day to find Nina sat on his door step, a packed bag at her feet. His first desire had been too pull the young girl into a tight hug, but, instead had gone with the second one which was to ask her dryly if she’d run away.

The young blonde hadn’t run away, in fact she’d simply told her Aunt that she was staying over a friends that night and had got that friend to cover for her as she made her way here. So after letting her in the house, putting her bag away and a deep conversation over his absence, the pair had come to the conclusion that there was only one way to rebuild their own battered bridge. That was apparently Christmas shopping.

Christmas shopping in England.

So the pair had caught a port key and done just that. A few hours had been sent looking around London, stopping in shops and getting presents for Elena, school friends and even Elektra got one or two from her niece. They had then moved on to the cities of Bath and Birmingham. Then finally, exhausted, full of food and weighed down with more bags than they needed the pair caught the original port key back to Australia.

It was just as they were walking down the path towards the current place he was staying that Ash noticed a familiar figure standing beside the door.

“Shit! came the voice of the young witch next to him.

“Seems like your mate folded.” he replied, stopping next to where his Niece stood.

“Like a cheap suit.” Nina added.

“Like a very fucking cheap suit.” he said placing a hand on the girls back “Don’t worry too much, she’ll blame me anyway.” and with that said, the pair strolled down the path as he fumbled for the front door keys.

“Evening.” he said to Ele as he opened the door and took some bags from Nina, then using his body to hold the door open as the young girl darted over the threshold “Coming in?” he asked Elektra, waiting for her to make her decision.

Tally Staff ☆ IWP Undercover Agent, Quidditch & Flying Coach★ LilyCat
32 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ She/Her

How in the world Nina thought that Elektra wouldn't find out where she really was... was beyond the aunt. In one way, it felt like an insult, as though she was stupid enough not to find out easily that she wasn't with her friend at all. She was her guardian, and she also worked as the receptionist at the school. She had also been about to check in on her niece when she saw the friend's mother at the grocery store, and was met with confusion when she said that it was so nice that they were having a sleepover.

Following that had been a great deal of panic from Ele, as she couldn't reach Nina on the phone. Though, once she sat and thought about it, she realised there was one place that her niece would go and probably not tell her about - despite Elektra never having said she couldn't visit there. It hadn't taken much to find someone who could watch Elena for a short time, and Ele apparated to the city, to the building where Ashkar had said he would be staying. No one at home, and so she had waited, and waited... and then they arrived, with shopping bags, and Elektra's teeth ground together in irritation.

The woman waited for them to apparently take their time to stroll to the door, her gaze flashing with anger as she eyed her niece and then the man that she was with. She didn't say anything right away, waiting for Nina to say something to her first. Apologise, explain, anything. Instead the girl dashed as soon as the door was unlocked.

"NINA! You get back here, right now!" The woman called after her, but the girl had gone. The question of whether she was coming in or not, was met with a dull glare.

"No," The answer was simple, blunt, but very obviously not complete as she stepped toward him, "Do you have any idea how worried I was when I found out she wasn't at her friend's? I have never banned her from coming to see you, and all she had to do was be honest and everything would have been fine. And you know that." The woman poked him in the chest with her forefinger, her body shaking from the mixture of anger and fear and simple fact that she was so offended and disappointed that neither her niece or the man who knew Ele would be worried if Nina disappeared, had given her the respect of being honest with her and telling her what was going on.

"I get it, she hates me, and doesn't give a shit if I go into a panic because I don't know if she's alright or not!" Elektra waved her arm toward the house, her voice breaking as she finally spoke what she'd believed for a long time. She would never be her sister, Nina's mother, and clearly the girl hated her because of that or something else. It didn't mean it didn't hurt. "But... no, you know what? I shouldn't have expected you to tell me anything, considering everything else that you never told me until you were caught out!" The woman released a shuddered breath as she fought off the tears, and then stepped back, away from the house.

"You know... whatever. I... I can't do this," Ele lifted her palm to her eyes to wipe at them as she began to turn. She knew where Nina was now, and clearly neither the girl or Ashkar had given any thought to how she would feel. What was the point?

Naturally Nina ignored her Aunt and made a beeline for a room near the back of the house. Ash sighed at that. In fairness he had told her that she had little to worry about as the fault would be lain at his door. Which is exactly what happened. Then again, she had a point. He should have let her know where Nina was. A text message or an owl would not have taken any time out of his day to send and it wouldn’t have left Elektra without having to run around like a panicking headless chicken. The problem was, he was still feeling a little bit hurt by what had happened two weeks ago and had put off any and all communication between them as long as possible.

This was why Ash waited after she said no about coming into the house, it was why he should there and allowed her to poke him in the chest and lay all her emotions and anger at his feet. Then, of course, she implied that she shouldn’t have expected anything like honesty or truth from him because of what he had not told her recently. A surge of anger flashed through him, an anger which was then doused by the movement of brushing away tears.

“I agree, I should have told you she was with me. I have a very good idea how worried you have been however, I haven’t thought much about it these last few hours. That is largely because I have been doing my best not to think about you, two weeks ago or the fact that fucked everything up.” taking a deep breath he paused long enough to run a hand through his hair, before looking back at Elektra.

“So be pissed off at me, hate me, hand me over to the IWP if that makes you feel better about anything but we need to get one thing straight,” damn, he needed a cigarette but right there and then stopping too roll and then spark up might break the tension in a bad way “That girl in there doesn’t hate you, in fact we just spent the majority of today with her trying to find you the perfect present for Christmas.  Nina is confused, sad, lonely, frightened and she’s a teenager, they are kind of dickheads to their guardians.”

“As for me, I...” he trailed off, this was the moment he could have said everything he felt he should say but would be too scared too say “It doesn’t matter. I’m clearly the bad guy in this. I’ll go and get Nina for you.” and with that, he turned to walk into the house.

The flash of anger was spotted within the man, and Elektra steadied herself, readying for a real fight. She'd been trying to push down the tension around the girls for weeks, trying to be friendly, caring, thoughtful, smiling... trying her best to not let them see just how hurt she was and how much she was struggling. She barely had time to work out now it was just the three of them, she was criticised because she didn't cook as nice food as Ashkar, she was berated for not being able to keep on top of all of the grocery shopping and housework that she did her best to keep up with, in between chasing around after her nieces and working. She was doing her best.

"I don't hate anyone!" Elektra felt like she needed to give everyone a set of hearing aides or something. How difficult was it to understand that she was just irritated and angry, and that she had a right to be these things, without it meaning she hated anyone? "I never said you couldn't come visit, I even said that you should for the girls' sakes! I never told Nina she couldn't come see you! I'm just hurt and disappointed and frustrated! And not just with you!" She pulled at her hair as she made a frustrated sound.

"Great, you went shopping, but couldn't send a message. One minute for either of you to just let me know," The blonde sighed and shook her head, before looking at a bunch she was gripping with her hand, noticing some split ends. Great, now she'd have to get a hair cut. "As for you what...?" The woman said as she tugged at some of the split ends.

"You always fucking do that... 'I... I... I...' and never fucking finish what you were going to say. Why don't you just fucking spit it out for once?" Ele let go of her hair as she crossed her arms, still glaring at Ashkar, waiting to see whether he really would, or just do his usual thing and turn tail and run away.

“I never said that you said any of those things.” he bit back, though, it was somewhat relieving that she just wasn’t angry at time. Ash had not problem with shouldering his fair share of the blame, after all, he was responsible for about sixty percent of the problems but he’d felt for the last two weeks that he’d been taking the blame for every single thing that had gone wrong, that every lie or issue was somehow something he’d done or not done. He knew that, for the most part, this was just him being overly dramatic and trying to rationalize his own actions and reactions.

“Are you even listening? This isn’t about just you and I have already acknowledged that I should have informed you in some way. I explained while I avoided doing that, bad reasons as they may be they are reasons. Nina is hurt, disappointed and frustrated too! But that is clearly besides the point.”

This was moment that she snapped about something he he hadn’t said. At that Ash sighed and put the bags he was holding just inside the door, one hand braced against the door frame. He could just spit out some more reasons that he could just make up on the spot or he could be honest, tell her the truth and leave himself open and vulnerable.

Turning to look at her he noticed the hair she was holding in her hand. This caused him to sigh again.

“I’m very much in love with you.” he said finally “And I don’t know how to handle that, I don’t know anything, really. This is why I got drunk and considered, rather foolishly, about going to Azkaban too somehow make myself a better man and be worthy of someone like you.” another sigh as he looked away from her “But I’m not ever going to be worthy and I’m not capable of change. So, that’s pretty much it. Now I’ll go get Nina.”

"No, but the way Nina has acted makes it seem like I must be some overbearing person who has made awful demands," Ele said, a little tired of it all. She had run out of ideas on what to do for the teenager. She didn't know what she was supposed to do or be for her, and was trying to give her as good a life as possible. "I heard what you said, but what am I supposed to do?!" The woman bit back with renewed annoyance at Ashkar for implying that she wasn't considering Nina's point of view, "I have done everything I can think of! I'm doing the best I can! The girls don't miss out on anything, and I know that I can't replace their mother! Hells, if I could exchange my life so that they could have her back, I would do it in a heartbeat! I'd do anything for them, I love them to death, but nothing seems good enough!" Frustration had hit the surface as she paced, rubbing at her eyes and cheeks.

The woman had never truly thought she would have any children, fears and doubts from her own childhood preventing that thought from even being something desirable at all. But then her sister's had been dropped upon her, and she had taken on the responsibility, despite her fears, despite her lack of knowledge of how to be a parental figure. She strode onward though, hiding those fears from the girls as best she could, trying to be strong for them.

"I just don't know what I'm supposed to do... what am I doing wrong?" Ele's voice broke as she hid her face behind her hands, the pressure of it all finally coming to a head, it seemed, which perhaps made Ashkar's sudden confession's timing not entirely the best. It took a moment for it to sink in, and Ele couldn't even figure out how she felt about that, except extremely annoyed with him again for deciding things on his own once more without eve considering her own thoughts and feelings regarding the situation at all. Why did he do that so much?

"Right, of course you would decide that without even asking me what I thought," The blonde muttered with a shake of her head, "'I'm Ashkar, I'll just make decisions about Ele's life without her input or anything, because of course I know better', what a load of shit. Nice to know you respect my thoughts and feelings about it!" She huffed and then shook her head as she turned toward away from the house, as though about to leave, "And don't... Nina wants to stay here tonight, then she can. I'm not some fucking monster who's going to forbid her from spending time with someone who's important to her... I just wish she'd been fucking honest with me..."

Ash could almost predict the reaction too what he’d just announced. It wouldn’t be some big declaration that she felt the same way, it wouldn’t even be a simple ‘thanks for telling me’. It would somehow come back that by not talking about his feelings was somehow him being an asshole again. This was a dance he was getting use to and it wasn’t just with Elektra, it seemed to be something he ran into a lot with women. Well, used too. He’d not done any declarations of love in many many years and it had been many more years since they had been sincere ones.

Yes, he’d lied about loving a woman before to get what he needed out of that situation. He’d got what he wanted and walked away, no doubt breaking the woman’s heart in the process. He never really thought about the after affects of what he did to get the job done. The rage, the tears and the verbal abuse tended to roll off him because it meant nothing in the long run. This time, this announcement, meant something and whatever she responded with he knew was going to hurt in some way or another.

But the reaction he got from her was one that caused a short burst of laughter to erupt from him before he turned to look at her, genuine surprise and shock on his face.

“None of that had anything to do with me making a decision about your life.” the surprise look soon gave way to a frown “That is about me making a decision about my own life, my own feelings. The way I view myself, the way I view you, the way I view the girls and the way I view me fitting into all your lives. I have never told you about how I feel because I am still trying to make that decision.” walking away from the door, he moved over towards her.

“As for the rest of it, I can continue to apologies. I can reexplain my reasons. I can and have acknowledged that I made the wrong decisions and acted the wrong way, which, is not something I do often.” a sigh followed that statement, then he stepped back slightly “As for Nina, you are her registered guardian and I am a registered felon. She needs to go home with you.” another sigh “And since I’m landing things at your feet, I’ll add. I would like to discuss at some point in the very near future about me coming home as well.”

"Yes, it did have something to do with making a decision about my life, not that you would have realised it of course, as thick headed as you are most of the time," Elektra was tired, the fire had gone out of her words as she dropped herself onto her rear, sitting on the curb while she talked to what she assumed would be thin air soon, since he kept edging back and forth from the house behind her. She ruffled her hair in frustration. "Did you even think that maybe the reason I didn't want you to go to Azkaban was because I don't want you to go?? That maybe I like having you around, despite the fact that you drive me absolutely fucking mental?" The woman was struggling. She didn't like admitting to her own insecurities and feelings any more than he did. She was perhaps even worse than him, which was what made her difficulty in coping with all her insecurities regarding the girls all that more worse.

At least Ele knew she could feel a little confident that it wasn't just some unreasonable anger that she held in regard to being told about things regarding her life and that of her nieces. She was their guardian, she needed to know where Nina was all the time. She'd never forgive herself if something happened to the girl and she didn't know where she was. Even being told that she was the guardian, that Nina had to go home with her regardless, caused her head to drop as her hands went to the back of her neck. Nina would blame her for this, Ele knew that much. She didn't know what more she could do to prove herself to the girl, and she hated feeling like she failed her. Silently, the blonde's shoulders shook, unheard sobs breaking through as her head remained ducked.

"Come back whenever..." Came a quiet hoarse response from the woman as she remained sat where she was. He did mean that he wanted to return to the house soon, right? Not that he was deciding that he wouldn't at all? Who knew right now. Elektra was still trying to figure out how she felt about his confession of having fallen in love with her, which was difficult when she was having a partial break down over being a terrible guardian aunt, It was all... just too much. "Your room's clean and everything... Elena misses you too, she'll be happy to see you," The woman mumbled, unable to look up from her sitting spot, "And I'm just... I'm not coping trying to do everything on my own... and I miss you."

If he’d been paying attention to her and less on his own emotions and keeping everything he was feeling from spilling out, then he may have noticed the slightly differences in her. The slightly slouch shoulders, the bags that had taken root under her eyes. The way her hair wasn’t falling in the way it normally did. Then perhaps he would have picked up on the fact that more was going on then just him shaking the very foundation she had created her life upon. But he’d been too wrapped up in his own reactions too the events to really leave room for anything else.

So as she responded to what he said, declaring that she hadn’t wanted him to go to Azkaban. That she actually enjoyed and wanted his company. This was something that he on some level understood and accepted, on a much larger level he just placed it down to her needing to expand her social circle. After all, anyone was better company that loneliness. Well, unless one was a hermit but that was not a life he could ever see Elektra living.

When she sat down was when he stopped his back and forth routine. This wasn’t a moment to step away, this was a moment to step up. Sadly, he was never very good at giving emotional comfort when he was attempting to be genuine. A soft sigh escaped him as he shot one last look back at the front door, noticing how Nina was peaking around the corner of it. After some silent communication with the young girl he turned and walked towards Elektra taking a seat beside her on the pavement.

“If that’s the case then I’m coming back tonight.” he said evenly, tilting his head slightly so that he could hear the rest of what was said between the sobs “Naturally, I leave pretty big shoes too fill don’t you think?” maybe humor wasn’t the way to go with this “Not quite as big as my nose, though.”  running one middle finger down the aforementioned feature with a short laugh.

Putting one arm around her, Ash pulled her curled form against his bringing her into a one armed hug, turning his own head to lightly kiss the top of hers “I miss you too.”

Sign in to follow this