School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Summer Break

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.

Adoptable Spotlight

THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

15 year old Halfblood Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

So this was Tallygarunga.

Lauren was familiar with it, but not from the perspective of someone actually living within its walls. She had spent some time in her dorm, getting things to how she liked them. Having belongings was a new thing to her, and having them arranged in a very precise and particular way was suddenly important. After a lot of fiddling (lack of magic be damned, it would have been much easier!) she finally got things to look right, and headed out to explore the rest of the school.

Naturally, she avoided the library. And the Gawler Building. Running into either of her parents would be a little awkward, she felt, especially if it was the woman supposed to be her mother. So she headed for a place where she felt she would best be able to meet and assess her fellow classmates, the all-houses games room.

And... it was empty for now. Not bothered by this, Lauren busied herself about the room. There was a lot of clutter in here, and it just needed a little organising. Some of these pictures were quite terrible and needed to come down, and whatever that was in the corner needed to go straight to the trash. Reading through decor magazines had given Lauren terribly high standards, and she figured that this (like her room in her father's worn down house) could only benefit from a little facelift.

She was doing a community service here, and over the course of an hour or so, she had completely rearranged the room to her liking. At least, as much as she could without changing anything too much, but it was a start. A giant pile of rubbish spilled over in the bin, some of it (projects in the works, books, journals, and other personal effects) may not have been rubbish, but in Lauren's eyes it was all unnecessary clutter. It had to go.

Satisfied that she had done the best she could, Lauren perched herself in an armchair at the center of the room. One leg crossed over the other, she opened a book and began to peruse more inspiration for her bedroom. And perhaps ideas for improving this room too, she was sure that her father would allow her to. He did want her to be happy here.

But for now, Lauren just waited for her classmates to come and admire her work, pay their respects and give her the accolades she was due.

• LOL 1

Spencer ☆ Spencer Quidditch Team Seeker, Pro WrestlerKirupachi
15 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

It didn't take too long before classes finished. Unluckily for Amber, the Astronomy teacher decided to put rather heavy workload on the students for the following class - although one could debate this claim, as Amber was to type to firmly believe any and all homework was too much. She geek in her loved the subject to death, but by god, did she hate theory in general. That was why every other subject she had (save for Muggle Studies, of course) was practical.

The library had always been too quiet a place for her to work in. She didn't want to go home either even if she could blast music out her speakers while Sibylla wasn't home, so her place of choice for that day was the school's games room. She knew it would be fairly empty since the various club activities would be taking place soon (thank goodness it wasn't a Spencer Quidditch training day), but she hoped Travis or Amy would drop by at some point eventually. Neither was enrolled in the subject as far as she knew, but they were more knowledgeable asleep than she was when wide awake.

The light footed teen jogged her way down from the astronomy tower to her destination of choice, although she came to a screeching halt the moment she stepped into the room. Her belongings loudly shuffled in the backpack hanging from her left shoulder with the sudden stop. "The hell?"

Amber's gaze flitted across the room. It felt empty, and it wasn't because it was mostly devoid of people - rather, it was as if someone had taken all that made the room what it was and threw it in the trash. A few seconds of scanning made her realize that the assumption turned out to be quite literally true, finding the grossly overfilled bin struggling to contain everyone else's belongings. '...I do most of my crap at home, yay...?'

Eventually she noticed a fellow teen, reading a book. The sole resident of the room. She had never seen her before, but the coloring details of the uniform revealed that she was a Sturt. The girl didn't seem to have a care in the world - for as dumb as Amber thought she could be, she wasn't dense enough not to make the connection she was the culprit. 'Why am I not surprised?' She thought to herself. A lot of students would be pissed off at the room rearrangement, even staff. It didn't bother Amber, per se, but she didn't want to be inadvertently caught in what would soon become a battle arena.

"Uh... Did I just walk into a soon to be bloodbath or something?" She decided to voice her thoughts, scratching the top of her head through her baseball cap as she did. "Nice taste in decor and all, but I don't think it's gonna be worth havin' your head ripped off by a dozen pissed off teenagers."

Lauren looked up from her magazine as the girl spoke, with all the grace and self-assuredness of a queen. She didn't answer straight away, merely took in the other girl's appearance, as if assessing whether this creature belonged in her perfectly curated room here. Not really if she was being honest, especially with that language and that... rough manner. She raised a hand, primly closing the magazine on her knee.

"Why should anyone choose to---as you say, 'rip my head off'?" she asked, lips pursed in a thin frown at the very idea. Lauren couldn't grasp that others may not enjoy her minimalist approach to decorating, or that some people were using the items she had so casually tossed away. "Daddy said to make myself comfortable. I think he will be quite impressed with my efforts here, if anyone should object---he will see to it."

The gaze that she levelled at Amber was a challenge. It dared the other girl to disagree, to find out for herself just how legitimate Lauren's claim to the "throne" was. As a new student, Lauren knew it was important to establish dominance. She had the connections, why not use them? Lauren didn't even bother telling Amber who her father was, she merely expected the girl to know. 

"You may remain," she 'allowed' Amber to stay in the room as if her haughty self had a right to decide one way or another. "But leave the terrible bag outside. It offends me."

• LOL 1

"What?" Amber found herself asking on reflex as Lauren's gaze scanned her. For some reason, it made her uncharacteristically uncomfortable - as if she was being scrutinized for  no good reason. Last she checked she didn't stain her clothes nor had something on her face, so what could possibly hold her attention like that?

As the girl mentioned her 'daddy' gave her permission to do such a thing, or so it was implied, Amber wondered if Lauren was the daughter of a staff member. Perhaps the daughter of one of the many Professors? Maybe the daughter of the groundskeeper? Did the groundskeeper have a daughter? Who was the groundskeeper, even? Her eyes squinted at the realization she didn't know half the staff's faces, let alone names. Oops.

"Terrible bag?" She instinctively glanced at the black strap of the backpack hanging over her shoulder, and pulled it aside to make the weight slide down. She looked at the patch-riddled bag. Colorful? Certainly. Terrible? Never. "This is my baby. It ain't terrible." She clutched said 'baby' under her arm in a protective manner.

"But... That's beside the point. Y'know it's the end of the year, right? Everyone's scrambling for extra point, and seeing all their work in the trash is no bueno." She personally didn't care for house competition so much as the Quidditch cup itself, though it was amusing to see people trying to sabotage each other for the last few points they could get. "And if you're caught, the Sturts will eat you alive. No amount of ego strokin' will keep those beasts tamed and they're like third or something at this point, this'll probably plunge them down to fourth."

It felt alien to be the voice of reason. Hell, why did she have to be such a thing. "Well, whatever. So long as I don't get caught in the blast." Ignoring the lack of 'permission' her faithful bag had to enter the room, the Spencer strolled over to the nearest seat and jumped rear-first onto the cushion before making herself comfortable.

As Amber called the bag her "baby", Lauren looked to the heavens as though seeking strength from a higher power. This was not the welcome she expected, nor the gratitude she believed was owed for her miracle working in the room. She sighed and returned that critical gaze back to Amber, listening out of sheer politeness though it was evident that Lauren's assessment of the girl was complete. The result was not in Amber's favour.

"I can't see why any points could be awarded for that... clutter," she said with a disapproving frown as she remembered the mis-matched projects in various states of completion. Lauren genuinely believed that she had done a good thing here, which made the cruelty of throwing it all away all the more brutal. "More likely I have saved many from losing points over sloppy workmanship," Lauren's gaze followed Amber as she entered the room with the offending bag.

"I believe I did say the bag was not permitted," Lauren's smooth and sing-song voice rang out, a delicate frown on her lips at being disobeyed so flagrantly. "There is space in the hallway, else you may place it in the trash. I am willing to assist in locating a more suitable replacement if you insist on carrying such a thing?" it was hard to know what Lauren was aiming to be, here. Helpful? Rude? It was like she was trying to make a good impression, but failing miserably. Tripping over her own idea of how things should be, and trying to fit the school and students into it with brute force.

But offering to help, all the same.

• Love it! 1

"Huh?" Amber looked up as Lauren reiterated the point. She couldn't help but feel like the Sturt had a pronounced 'Queen Bee' aura exuding from her every word and action. 'More like Queen Bitch, am I right?' Her eyebrow raised ever so slightly in defiance. It seemed like she wasn't about to take the antics sitting down. Or maybe she was, because she wasn't about to get up anyway.

"Yeah, you did. Where's the rule?" The Spencer shrugged before opening her bag, retrieving the blasted Astronomy book. "I don't really care who you think you are, girl, but you should probably get off that high horse of yours. I didn't many times in the past and cost my House more points than I can count, so take it from me." The behavior had started getting just a little under her skin. Maybe she should try to talk the girl down instead of letting herself get mad? Amber wasn't the most tactful person with words, but it was certainly worth a shot.

"This ain't a playground, yeah?" She continued. "I mean, trust me, I wish it was, but fun police roams up the halls with sticks up their asses. If you're gonna raise hell, at least be smart about it."

"There is no horse here," said Lauren, who was not as well versed in idioms and figures of speech as the average student. She looked around, waving a hand to prove her point---indeed, there was no horse here in the games room. It was a sore point too, she'd always wanted a horse. Her grandmother had never seen the point of having animals around, and now her father was digging his heels in too. There were perfectly good dirtbikes out in the back paddock, what did she need a horse for? Lauren was slowly making Sarah and Octavia her allies in her campaign for a horse though, and soon Alan would be overwhelmed and give in.

Hopefully. This was the goal.

She was sure, as well, that what Amber was saying had some sort of meaning but she couldn't figure it out. Why would anyone run about the hallways with a stick placed there? Was it a requirement of policing fun? What was the role of the fun police anyway, was it to ensure everyone was having fun, or to prevent it? How did one go about applying to be part of the fun police (it sounded like a role that came with some prestige, given Amber's warning about them) and would she really have to have the stick? 

"I do not think I know who I am, I know who I am," Lauren's oblivious corrections continued. "I am Lauren Burdett." 

• Love it! 1

"There's no h--what?" She muttered to herself. Amber's eyes squinted, brows furrowing as she didn't manage to follow the misunderstanding. It served to cement the hypothesis of her just having been hit with a bludger to the face during Quidditch practice and her brain being the cause of the current mess, imagining the whole thing - even this girl's existence. The whole interaction was so out there that it just couldn't be real, right? She was either concussed or was high on something the nurse gave to numb the pain. Yeah, that was probably it. It would also justify her impromptu responsibility over her own homework. Yep, perfectly reasonable justification.

She was snapped out of her wild imaginings as this girl reasserted who she was - Lauren Burdett. Truth be told, she had never heard of anyone like th--

"...Wait a second. Burdett?" That name wasn't strange at all. In fact, it was a very important name in the faculty. There was one person in particular that her mind jumped at with that surname. The realization made her jolt upright in her seat, effectively knocking the Astronomy book off her lap, a loud thud echoing through the room on impact with the floor due to its weight. "Holy hell, you're Batman's kid!" The man was one of the idols of any Spencer worth their salt, and Amber wasn't above that stereotype in the least.

Unfortunately, that piece of information gave way for the more creative side of her brain leeway to do its thing. She had never heard of this girl and she seemed somewhat... Pretentious? Could it be she spent all this time in Penrose and that's why Amber had no idea there was a Burdett around her age roaming Tallygarunga? That'd be messed up, she thought. Feeding the competition? Come on, that couldn't be the case. Maybe she went abroad to study! Yeah, that was probably it. She probably went to Beauxbatons or something. She didn't know how that school was like at all, but the name sounded really preppy. Fitting.

Lauren blinked. Once. Twice. Three times. What was wrong with this girl? 

For a second it looked like Amber was about to make the connection, and then she came out with Batman? How many times did a child need to be dropped onto its head before it reached this low point? Lauren sighed and rolled her eyes, maybe she should be taking pity on this poor creature. Was there some sort of charity she could support? Or was this just the natural condition of the Spencer students? It couldn't be, though, right? Her father had been a Spencer.

"I am not a kid of any bat shaped man," she said finally. "I am the daughter of Alan Burdett, the headmaster here." As always, she conveniently forgot to mention that she was also Adele's daughter. Adele was just the librarian and a terrible person overall, Lauren couldn't see why that connection would sway anyone. She didn't realise yet that Alan's temperament made him more of a hero and a favourite of the students, while Adele struck fear into the hearts of anyone who had ever dog-eared a page before.

Lauren waited, studying Amber's face for any sign of comprehension. The more she thought about it, the more this had to be some kind of defect. Which changed things considerably, she couldn't imagine that her father would be impressed by her snapping at one of the slow students. No, Lauren decided. She could do better than that. This girl needed help, someone to guide her through life and make sure she didn't try to chew the Bush Telegraph wire or something.

"What is your name?" she asked, her tone almost sweet. Now that she had completed reorganising this room, she was ready for her next project. Amber needed a lot of work, but Lauren was up for the challenge. She wasn't an entirely ungenerous soul.

Bat shaped man? Did this girl not know who Batman was? How was that even possible? Just like that, Amber's dislike morphed into pity. How sheltered did someone have to be not to be aware of who was the best fictional superhero in the world, bar none? Muggle pop culture was Amber's lifeblood. She had to teach this girl a thing or five about it! Yes, that was the answer. She just had to shove the unsuspecting Sturt into a tub full of games, comics, TV shows and other geeky goodness. That should solve the issue.

"Huh? Amber." She gave the absent minded response on auto pilot. "And this right here is Batman!" Putting her bag's patches to good use, she pointed to a horizontal oval one with the silhouette of a bat in black, and the rest colored in yellow. "It's your dad's nickname. How do you not know that?" Beauxbatons was so far away that perhaps she wasn't privy to the local running gags? Yes, that was probably it. She couldn't expect the girl to know everything about that when spending so much of her education living so far away.

That didn't explain the blasphemy that was not knowing Batman, though. Did that stupid school have something against having fun?

"Daddy has that on a shirt," Lauren murmured in response, momentarily intrigued by this patch on the ugliest bag in the world. 

And suddenly, it hit her. How little she knew about her own family, even though she'd been hovering in the shadows almost the entire time. How distant she really was, to not even know her own father's nickname. Her watch had always consisted on ensuring that no one got hurt, anything more was just agony to observe. The way Amber said it, as if it should have been an obvious answer and something Lauren definitely should have known, made her recoil with a sharp frown on her face. 

"Of course I did know this," she lied with a snap. "I only forgot."

Because admitting that she didn't know was harder. What else didn't she know? It occurred to her that she didn't even know his favourite colour. What food he liked. What his favourite songs were, or what his life had been like when he was a kid. Lauren blinked and fought back tears. Told herself she was just angry at this stupid girl in front of her, but knew it wasn't true. She was angry at herself. Her father was a mystery to her, and he shouldn't have been. This world was a mystery to her, and it shouldn't have been either. Was it a mistake coming back? Was there too much to catch up on?

"Grandmiere did not allow me this bat... man thing," she added haughtily, a messy and snotty sniff giving away her distress. It was almost true. If she had been interested, Lillian likely would have allowed her to pursue the interest so long as it didn't interfere with her work, but Lauren had refused to engage in the world. Refused to look deeper just as she'd refused to be part of it. "Why does Daddy have this nickname?"

Even if the retaliatory reply sounded somewhat disingenuous, Amber gave Lauren the benefit of the doubt. A girl raised so far away - wasn't Beauxbatons in some European country? - with so little contact with the world outside of that blasted place would probably have no idea about the reference at all; let alone bother to memorize the nickname, as it was the whole point of the joke. She took the sting of the tone in stride, as it didn't seem to outwardly affect the Spencer.

There was a bit of a shift in the overall mood, however, that for as dumb as Amber may be, she wasn't dense enough to miss. She couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. Maybe she kicked the girl's pretentious shtick into overdrive? Could be that Batman was beneath her, after all. It was just a lame patch on a bag she wanted to get rid of. Despite all the pity and perceived understanding, Amber didn't feel like this girl was out of the woods yet when it came to first impressions.

"Uh... He had a few too many at some conference thingy." She was too taken aback to kick her storytelling persona into high gear, so she opted to go the short and sweet route - wasn't it something she should just ask the Headmaster, anyway? "Then he went around shoutin' he was Batman. So it kinda became a running gag." She hadn't been present for the birth of the Dark Knight of Tallygarunga, unfortunately. 'Oh, how I'd pay to be there...'

Too many? Too many what? Lauren was beginning to think this girl was deliberately speaking another language. Or was she damaged like Améa, and couldn't form proper sentences? It seemed that whenever she decided something about this girl, something else happened to make her question her assessment. The constant shifting was beginning to annoy her, an irritation that was not at all brought on by this lingering sadness and regret that had infiltrated her heart. She still didn't understand the significance of this Batman thing, why this girl had the same symbol on her ugly bag as her father had on her shirt, or how her father could possibly resemble a bat of all things.

In Lauren's opinion, he was more like a bear. She hadn't seen a bear in real life, but she'd seen plenty of pictures of bats and bears both, and it was not the bats that bore the most resemblance to her father. 

"I see," she faked her understanding. Her father did do some weird things, that much was true. Her mother was a prime example of Alan's poor choices. None of this would have turned out like it had if Adele hadn't been part of it, and for Lauren that was more than enough reason to blame the woman for all of it. 

Questions bubbled up inside her. Questions she refused to let herself ask, because that would mean she didn't know things, things that Amber did know and therefore the girl had the upper hand. You couldn't rule when others thought you an uneducated git, she would have to find another way to solve the mystery of the Batman. Fitting in with the other students was going to be significantly harder than she expected. Lauren knew her father had a lot of hope that she would do well here, and so far she was not... she was failing him. She was failing him, he would be disappointed and probably send her to live with Adele.

No. No. She couldn't have that. Anything but that. Lauren kept her mouth shut, staring now at the other patches on Amber's bag. Did they also mean things she knew nothing about? Probably. Very probably.

Awkwardness filled the room, or so Amber seemed to believe. The uncomfortable silence that followed Lauren's short response was getting under her skin. Had Amber put her foot in her mouth again and said something she shouldn't have? It wasn't like she had someone to regulate the absurd amount of stupidity that usually spilled out of her lips, and she certainly wasn't the most competent person in the world at filtering that on her own.

Nevertheless, there was the primal urge that often accompanied her in such situations - she needed to help her. Help what? Help how? She wasn't entirely sure what to do or if she could do anything to begin with. Taking advantage of the silence, she took a moment to do something uncharacteristic of her: think. Whatever familial problem that was possibly going on, it wasn't something that the Spencer could possibly meddle in; instead, the very Batman shtick that Lauren seemed oblivious about was more her speed. So that's how she would help.

"...Y'know, I can just show you what Batman is." She ultimately broke the silence. "He's the world's most famous fictional superhero, from DC Comics. If you don't know anything about him, hm... Maybe I can get you some material for a quick and painless introduction?" But what material? There was no point in showing the comics proper just yet as they were usually too story heavy for someone who didn't know anything to just jump in and have fun with it. Perhaps the Dark Knight trilogy? She opened her mouth to suggest the movies, but then closed it before any sound came out. No, those movies were massive. Something that you could just grab on the go was better for a crash course.

The second thought that occurred to her was the animated series, but she quickly curbed it. Too 'villain of the day' for an introduction. In the first few episodes it was hard to grasp at a storyline, and if people didn't know what Batman was already, they'd have a bit of a hard time enjoying it for what it was. Besides, there were way too many episodes on that show to begin with.

"I got it!" The girl suddenly spoke spine shooting up as the eureka moment presented itself. It made her legs bounce a little, and a foot knocked against the Astronomy book she didn't realize she dropped before. "Shoot." She muttered as she reached over to retrieve it. "Anyway, Batman: Year One. It's an animated movie about Bats' origins. I think I have it somewhere, I can just lend to you if you want." Dusting the book off, she placed it back on her lap. She didn't particularly care for the book's condition, per se, but she didn't want something filthy to occupy her precious, perfect little bag.

"Fictional?" Lauren raised a single eyebrow. 

All of this was about some person that didn't even exist? While Amber took her time considering material options, Lauren was steadily losing faith in the world. This... Bat... man was something made up. What was the point of that? It seemed there was a lot of it to consider too (though it was also very likely, she felt, that Amber was simply taking some time to remember how to breathe. Or maybe she had forgotten her own name. Lauren wondered if she should help, but only very briefly). In what sort of world was there so much material about... something that didn't exist. It boggled her.

"There is more than enough to know in the real world, what fool would fill their brain with useless nonsense," she said primly. Of course, she knew, this included her father. And likely everyone she would encounter, ever, which was just... why had she come back? Why hadn't she noticed that everyone here was unfathomable? Lauren would do many things to find her way in this world but she could not stomach the thought of lowering herself to such a level as to willingly and enthusiastically occupy her mind with fictional garbage. At every turn, it seemed she was being asked to reduce herself to a mindless idiot, like...

Well. Like Amber.

Lauren's pretty little frown was turned into an expression of deep disapproval. There was a lot of work required for this girl, but maybe---and this was just a theory---maybe if she could be convinced to cease with the useless rubbish and focus on what was real and true, she might have the capacity to hold a few facts in that empty head of hers. 

But could Lauren handle such an intensive project? It was for the greater good, certainly, but Lauren was seriously doubting whether she could manage. Oh, the dilemma.

Amber nodded her head as Lauren repeated a key word of her earlier explanation, despite the obvious skepticism. The capacity of human imagination, Muggle or otherwise, knew no bounds - one could even argue it was that same capability that gave the wizarding world so much to work with, so much to explore and experiment, making fiction reality. To add to that, it just made the world that much cooler and less boring to live in. She was a firm believer in needing an escape. Especially someone like her, who spent her days with every joint screaming in pain (through nobody's fault but her own, of course).

This mindset made what Lauren claimed next all the more jarring. The Spencer raised a hand to scratch her scalp through the fabric of her backwards cap in bewilderment. How could someone not appreciate the wonder that was fiction?

"Uh... Everyone? I literally never met one single person that hasn't at least read a fictional book or somethin', in like, the history of ever." She managed to respond after recovering from the shock. Where the hell did this girl grow up? She was starting to distance herself from the Beauxbatons palace assumption, as now the chief hypothesis in her mind was that Lauren had been born and raised in some sort of fallout shelter, completely removed from civilization. That was the only way! Even school libraries had fictional works! "I mean, I guess now I have? This is weird. Ain't there a single thing out there you like? Books? Games? Shows? Films? There's so much crap out there that it's hard to believe... Some of these things are so huge they get their own parades."

The girl was mad. Stark, raving mad. Maybe it was her limited upbringing outside of the "regular" world, maybe it was the fact that her mother was a librarian with a secret love for romance books---but Lauren could not comprehend the enjoyment that could be found in fiction. As Amber listed off the possible sources of pop culture, Lauren merely shook her head. She had not read a fiction book, played a video game, watched any shows or films. What was the point? None of it was reality, and therefore it didn't count in the grand scheme of things.

"So popular?" Lauren raised a perfect eyebrow. "No wonder this world is at war. Too much attention focused on what is not happening, not enough care to fix what is." 

The assessment seemed fair enough to Lauren. It was logical. She didn't understand why it wasn't so clear to everyone else around her, the flaws in the system. Alas, they were all too busy being buried in fiction, it seemed. It certainly wasn't that Lauren couldn't read---she could. Her favoured reading material was just.. factual. In fact, her favourite book at this present moment was a guide to interior design. Amber's bag was still ugly, and that cap was... Lauren tried not to look at it. 

"Is this stuff in the library here?" Lauren asked after a moment, a new crusade forming in her mind. Here, she could do the Australian wizarding world a true favour. Eliminate the rot from the library and then students would be far less likely to indulge themselves, they would have to read things healthier for their minds than this fictional trash. A smile turned up the corners of her lips. Yes, this was a good plan. She could help her father make this school a better place. It was so simple too! Of course, it was only step one of a bigger plan, students would no doubt have their own sources of material, but it was a start.

"You will take me to it, yes?" she asked, a dazzling smile thrown Amber's way.