Bourke ☆ Fifth Year Kirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

It made sense, moving in during a late Friday afternoon. A good portion of the students would have departed to spend the weekend with their families by then and there would be a little less chaos when moving a Dhampir into the Bourke dormitories. Danielle certainly appreciated the tact of the timing. She found that she didn't like crowds too much as of late, and was starting to worry about how she'd handle the more populated classes she had to endure come 2019.

Even so, it seemed that they had been alerted to their arrival. Did some sort of information leak? That made her feel somewhat uneasy - fortunately, no one actually went out of her way to antagonize or attack her just yet, and all she had gotten thus far was the simple scornful look that usually came towards her. It didn't bother her that much. If anything, she could relate. She could feel herself develop a mild prejudice against her own kind given her past, and it wasn't like she could be blamed for it to begin with.

What did bother her, immensely so, was the fact that she and her sister were separated for the first time since the latter's birth - at least, the first time for an extended period. Danielle was taken for thorough examinations of her magical ability privately (which she blew out the water, and was warned to rein it in), and then sorted to the Bourke house. Her sister had gone through the same examinations but then was taken to something called 'the Whitlam Bilby wing'. Danielle had been told it was a wing for people not old enough to get into Tallygarunga proper, and that she could visit the following day if she'd like. She would, of course, but that meant being well over a dozen hours apart from the girl whom was probably scared to death and all alone.

Eventually, she was left to her devices. There wasn't much more she could do. Regardless of prejudice, her new temporary roommate had provided her with a very basic book on Muggle Studies upon request. Unfortunately, as she tried to read it, that same roommate had a few friends over. Something about planning for a 'Christmas ball'. The sound was disturbing her, so Danielle excused herself and left, book in hand and blood-flavored lollipop stick poking out past her lips.

She settled down in a couch in the mostly empty Bourke Common Area. She wasn't used to such comforts and found herself willing to indulge, slipping out of her shoes and curling up on the sofa, the book being carefully perched on her knees. Danielle could feel the hostility in the room directed at her but did her best to ignore it. It wasn't worth her energy. At least they hadn't spat on her or anything, that was more progressive than half the places she had been in.

Bourke ☆ Sixth Year Guest
16 year old Halfblood Werewolf ☆ HE/HIM

Travis trickled in with the few students that had been going back into the Common Room from one area or another, some held extended classes, others just preferred to stay in the school for the sake of ease. As for himself, he often avoided heading home too early for appearance sake. Typically only leaving under the guise that his Mother had finished her usual campaign trail and had 'demanded' his presence for dinner. Mother, Government - it was the same difference to him one way or another. 

His bag had been strapped over a single shoulder while he scanned the area slowly feeling something had been out of sorts. Something 'new' entered the environment and it instincts made him overly aware of this fact and sudden change. "Hrm. . .?" Whether it was due to his alternative nature that often had been kept under wraps or the more insatiable desire to meet every lass with flowing locks, even he hadn't been entirely sure but his eyes landed on the young teen who had positioned herself on the sofa.  

There even seemed to be a tension in the atmosphere between her and the other people around the room. That hadn't been a problem to him as he often shrugged off that kind of thing. Ordaining himself as a greeting committee for Bourke, only for the ladies, smooth steps were taken towards the sitting area. Once there he'd toss his back just on the side of the sofa to rest at its legs and then hopped over the back to sit on the armrest with both of his arms rested on his knees. "You know, it's kind of hard to play the new kid when you're sitting here like an obvious Nancy.

He figured that she hadn't been looking to be noticed or probably didn't really care to be noticed by the fellow Housemates. It was a common reaction either way when being placed somewhere that had been foreign in every aspect. From the area to the people itself, a world filled with strangers that could perpetuate the idea that things were going to be closed or difficult. A gentle whiff coursed through his nostrils, something smelled off - fresh. It smelled familiar in many ways and yet he couldn't put his finger on it just yet, maybe he had just been hungry and projected that need of raw meat of sorts. 

A hand extended out towards her in a greeting. "Anyways, I'll skip the obvious 'Are you new?' since I've never seen you around here before. Jumping right into introductions. The names Travis, I'm a Sixth year in this sports inclined club chosen for us."  Gaze shifted towards the rest of the room for a moment and then back towards her. "Don't worry about them. They take a while to warm up but they're good people. Well... Some are good people, Hah." Trying to umbrella everyone under the same notion of 'Good' was a good way to be liable for the occasional bully that had been bound to pop up. 

It seemed that the book provided by Danielle's helpful roommate described in detail something that was the absolute norm for almost anything pertaining to Muggles - the various uses to electricity, and how it all worked to begin with. It was quite fascinating to her how they managed to harness a literal force of nature and put it to work in so many outlandish uses. Not to mention electricity made it so they could enhance practically everything they already dominated, such as farming and architecture. It was a scary thought of how one thing could cause so much widespread change in a myriad of fields. It was almost as if electricity was the Muggle's brand of magic.

She peeled her eyes away from the book the moment she felt the couch shift under someone else's weight. She had already heard the approach but had been half-hoping she wasn't the target; then again, sooner or later, it would've been unavoidable. Might as well just go through with it, she figured.

Danielle barely caught the meaning of his words at all, taken by surprise that she didn't detect an ounce of hostility in the boy - if anything, he was friendly and sociable. She felt herself relax somewhat, her mood not deteriorating as she expected it to. She pressed down her left hand's index finger on the bottom bend of the book she was reading before snapping it shut as a simple means of bookmarking the page, not wanting to bend a paper sheet that didn't belong to her, figuring she wouldn't get much reading done when engaged in conversation. When prompted, she shook Travis' hand with a firm grip.

Once withdrawing said hand, she retrieved the blood red lollipop from her mouth so to have an easier time speaking properly. "Danielle. It's nice to meet you." Came the british accent as she introduced herself. "It's quite alright, really. It doesn't bother me. If anything, it's refreshing." She wondered why he had approached her. Was he aware and didn't care? Was he not aware?

"You don't seem to be in the same camp as them." She voiced her thoughts ultimately. "Why would that be?" Provided his reasoning was positive, whatever that may be, she would certainly be an advocate for it.

Travis made no effort to try and lighten his steps or sneak up on the teen girl. After all, the last thing anyone wanted in a highly unfamiliar environment had been someone stalking about like some form of predator ready to pounce on a meal. There had also been no reason for him to be hostile towards her, she was no enemy of his and he certainly wasn't in the mindset where he'd been looking for something to munch on. Though there had been something different about her, he couldn't entirely place it other than the unique paleness of her skin. 

It was the sudden grip that caught him mentally off guard, this girl was definitely strong. It forced his own grip to take a bit more of his actual strength to keep it on an equal scale in the grasp. His hand retreated and rested back on his knees. An eyebrow raised up as the smell strengthened when the lollipop had been removed from her lips. "Danielle? Pretty nice name. Foreigner to boot! That's pretty cool, I know we've had a few move in of late. I always find it pretty interesting to how they're managing in this hostile kind of country." A slight chuckle emitted from him. "Refreshing? You've some pretty weird perception on what can be considered refreshing. Most people just settle for a cool drink or a nibble of a sweet cake or something."

His head tilted slightly. "Why would I be?" The kind of lollipop it had been gave him a few ideas of her heritage even with whatever other rumors had been trying to spill out about that kind of information. Even the beating of his heart had been normal with no sense of fear that emitted from the organs as typical tells most would go through. "I'm just looking at a fellow Bourke student, a Girl looking to learn as much as anyone else here." A shrug gently forms as he narrowed his eyes in thought for a moment and then trained them back on to her. 

"Besides, who you are doesn't always correlate to what you are. I'd rather hear from the horses mouth whom they are as a person than take a stab at stereotypes." An easier mindset in certain circumstances to hold, not one he could ever view of himself. But others deserved better than him in that regard he found and felt. "Now, I know what you're thinking - This guy is nuts and I need to get out of here. But I promise I'm not a time waster!" Travis offered a smile that held an attempt and intent to be friendly towards her. "But if you have any troubles with the blokes around here you let me know. I'll straighten them out easy peezy."

Danielle wasn't too sure of how to react to someone complimenting her name. She had never quite understood why she had a french name, of all things - was she named after an ancestor? Her sect did have a branch in France, after all, and she was forced to learn the language because of it. Yes, that was probably why. But before her mind could stray too far, she opted to nod her head in acknowledgement. "Thank you." It was somewhat embarrassing. At least he hadn't found out about her middle name, which was even worse, all things considered.

"Why hostile?" She was the first to admit she hadn't heard a thing about Australia before having been Apparated to it. However, she could agree that the weather felt somewhat oppressive. She should probably acquire a nice cap and copious amounts of sunscreen if she wanted to survive.

"Yes, refreshing. A few odd looks thrown my way or some people talking behind my back don't bother me that much." She's endured worse. At least nobody was flinging a death curse her way. That was certainly refreshing.

Danielle was starting to grow convinced that this student did know whom he was talking to - but, perhaps, he was a victim of some sort of persecution himself, and was looking for allies. It certainly took some form of bravery to approach someone like her anyway. That, or absolute recklessness. "Correct." Perhaps it was for the best if they didn't mention the elephant in the room. For both their sakes.

"That's not what I'm thinking." Travis' upbeat mindset wound up evoking a smile from her - it bordered on a chuckle, but she managed to control herself. "I'm thinking I'm pleasantly surprised over seeing a friendly face during my first day here, and I'm happy about it. Thank you." She wasn't the overly trusting kind, not by a long shot, but she felt at ease with the teenager before her. "I'm just hoping you didn't approach me out of pity."

"No need to thank me. I'm just saying it how it is - well - from my point of view." Or angle, In which he'd been checking her out from his peripheral view. Mostly hoping that she wouldn't go prying through his mind even more so that she held a grasp of her capabilities that it wouldn't be the neonate's slip up that did him in. Though, genuinely, that name itself had been interesting as there often had been tales linked to a persons name. He hadn't been looking for some grand meaning behind it as if searching the net like most new aged muggles. Rather, the actual history between the name and the person. 

"Why Hostile. . .?" A dumbfounded look etched on his face. Almost everyone has heard about the usual gimmicks that others saw and stated about his homeland? He couldn't help but let laughter flood for a moment. "Ah, well, it's often said the one place in the world known to be able to kill you by just stepping on it? Good ol' Australia! That's not including the potential magical creatures that live here either, just the mundane and nature alone would give most people a run for their money and life. Can only imagine how dangerous magical creature counterparts would be.

Imagine, a magical drop bear. 

"Oh, well, I'm pretty sure we all suffer that regardless. I mean. . . High school drama, it kind of goes along with the package. Either someone is yapping or they're staring a hole through your chest." The equal occasion would be undressing with their eyes, but that's something he's found most people were too shy to admit in themselves that they were actually doing. It added some amusement in his day when he caught the occasional person bumble about with that accusation thrown at them. 

There wasn't any certainty in what he expected her to be aside from the more obvious factor that most people wouldn't touch that kind of Lollipop. That narrowed it down to: Dhampir, Vampire, Crazy guy in an Alley, maybe the occasional Werewolf. Personally, he held no urge for the teasing taste rather preferring actual bleeding meat every now and then. 

"It's not? Woo, means I'm already making a good first impression! That bolds well for me." At least until the small bit of rumors about himself manage to make her ear. Admittedly, there had been interest in whether she'd ignore it or avoid him afterwards. "You're very welcome! I try to add a bit of niceness where I go, enough scowling faces make their home in Sturt House. No need to carry it around Bourke." A smile formed as he made the playful competitive jab. "Pity? Nah, Out of all the many reasons in my head? Pity didn't even come up as a contender on that list."

"For so many people to live here peacefully, it can't be that bad, can it?" Danielle suggested. Unless humans were particularly suicidal about their living arrangements - which she admittedly had not much knowledge of at all - then it sounded like this hearsay was blown out of proportion. "Besides, isn't the purpose of this place to learn how to deal with such creatures?" She saw a subject about it in the enrollment form, but she never signed up for it.

She felt the need to question what 'high school drama' meant but figured it would be too on the nose of a question, letting the inquiry reside in her mind for the time being. Maybe she could read about the concept in a book at a later point. "It sounds like something I can live with." If they bothered to come to her directly, she'd be ready to deal with that as well. She was just hoping at that point that no one would resort to violence, against her or her young sister once she enrolled in the main program.

"Sturt House..." She repeated. Danielle was, admittedly, having a hard time remembering all those 'House' names. She didn't even know why she had been sorted to Bourke to begin with, nor what it represented - if it was supposed to even mean anything, that is.

"What can you tell me about these 'Houses'? What goes on in them?" She naively asked, unaware that other magical schools had the exact same concept and that she'd be giving away her educational background by not knowing about such a simple thing.

"Peacefully?" Travis head cocked, expression shifted to a quizzical one all the while examining the young teen before him. Where did she come from that it could be perceived in that manner? "There is a subject that is about encountering magical creatures of various kinds, sure, but there is also a subject called 'Cruel and Unusual Geography'. If that doesn't give you the true picture then nothing will!" His hand waved in emphasis as if to exaggerate the point further for the comedy of it all. "One would think people were trying to sell the place a bit more than it is, but as a native I can tell you it's every bit true. Those magpies are dangerous creatures." Granted, he'd also been attacked by something that shouldn't have had been in Australia in the first place as well. It gave him a perspective on how dangerous other animals could be in that relation. 

"Might not have much of a choice anyways but to live with it, right? I mean you're here. May as well soak it in and make the most of it." There were very few things that could be when the situations were often beyond your own control, the environment of school being one of those things. He started to lean back just a bit to straighten his back and pressed both of hands on the edge of the sofa's arm. "The cards are dealt, the dealer is grinning and the best you can do is call your own bluff and make the dealer fold. But I guess if we didn't have that kind of aspect with most things we encountered it'd be pretty boring.

He blinked several times, did she not come from a school that had that kind of system in place? "Seriously. . .? I mean, sure, but I just didn't expect to have to, honestly. Haha, kind of something that is slapped in every school across the Magical community." Then he started to slide towards the much more soft cushion of the sofa as he leaned back into it, an arm raised up and rested on the back of it. "Well, this Bourke House. The best house by far, no contest. Anyways, it's kind of a system to build up a competitive spirit and give us kiddos a place to fit in. People in a House tend to have similar or complimenting personalities, in most cases that can cause sparked issues but it can get people to get together easier.

His arm shifted slightly to a curve and extended out four fingers. "Typically there are a number of houses, in Tallygarunga there are four: Bourke, Spencer, Flinders, and Sturt. At any point during your sorting you could have been place in any one of these Houses because of similarities that are looked at magically with it. It's a process that measures who you are as a person, not so much your actual deeds but rather what you'd most -likely- do in certain situations. Bourke tends to have athletically advanced people, you'll see a number of people into sports here." Eyes closed gently as he leaned his head back to give himself some time to think up more pertinent information. "You also have the fiercely determined and loyal people here, you make a Bourke friend you have a friend for good - as long as you don't screw them over. Spencer's tend to be the wild child of our family, unpredictable and crazy. Flinder's are the shy little Muffins, good people too. Sturt, eh, they're usually bookish types but always have something rammed really far up their butt."

Sign in to follow this