School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

16 year old Halfbreed Dhampir ☆ She/Her

It made sense, moving in during a late Friday afternoon. A good portion of the students would have departed to spend the weekend with their families by then and there would be a little less chaos when moving a Dhampir into the Bourke dormitories. Danielle certainly appreciated the tact of the timing. She found that she didn't like crowds too much as of late, and was starting to worry about how she'd handle the more populated classes she had to endure come 2019.

Even so, it seemed that they had been alerted to their arrival. Did some sort of information leak? That made her feel somewhat uneasy - fortunately, no one actually went out of her way to antagonize or attack her just yet, and all she had gotten thus far was the simple scornful look that usually came towards her. It didn't bother her that much. If anything, she could relate. She could feel herself develop a mild prejudice against her own kind given her past, and it wasn't like she could be blamed for it to begin with.

What did bother her, immensely so, was the fact that she and her sister were separated for the first time since the latter's birth - at least, the first time for an extended period. Danielle was taken for thorough examinations of her magical ability privately (which she blew out the water, and was warned to rein it in), and then sorted to the Bourke house. Her sister had gone through the same examinations but then was taken to something called 'the Whitlam Bilby wing'. Danielle had been told it was a wing for people not old enough to get into Tallygarunga proper, and that she could visit the following day if she'd like. She would, of course, but that meant being well over a dozen hours apart from the girl whom was probably scared to death and all alone.

Eventually, she was left to her devices. There wasn't much more she could do. Regardless of prejudice, her new temporary roommate had provided her with a very basic book on Muggle Studies upon request. Unfortunately, as she tried to read it, that same roommate had a few friends over. Something about planning for a 'Christmas ball'. The sound was disturbing her, so Danielle excused herself and left, book in hand and blood-flavored lollipop stick poking out past her lips.

She settled down in a couch in the mostly empty Bourke Common Area. She wasn't used to such comforts and found herself willing to indulge, slipping out of her shoes and curling up on the sofa, the book being carefully perched on her knees. Danielle could feel the hostility in the room directed at her but did her best to ignore it. It wasn't worth her energy. At least they hadn't spat on her or anything, that was more progressive than half the places she had been in.

17 year old Halfblood Werewolf ☆ HE/HIM

Travis trickled in with the few students that had been going back into the Common Room from one area or another, some held extended classes, others just preferred to stay in the school for the sake of ease. As for himself, he often avoided heading home too early for appearance sake. Typically only leaving under the guise that his Mother had finished her usual campaign trail and had 'demanded' his presence for dinner. Mother, Government - it was the same difference to him one way or another. 

His bag had been strapped over a single shoulder while he scanned the area slowly feeling something had been out of sorts. Something 'new' entered the environment and it instincts made him overly aware of this fact and sudden change. "Hrm. . .?" Whether it was due to his alternative nature that often had been kept under wraps or the more insatiable desire to meet every lass with flowing locks, even he hadn't been entirely sure but his eyes landed on the young teen who had positioned herself on the sofa.  

There even seemed to be a tension in the atmosphere between her and the other people around the room. That hadn't been a problem to him as he often shrugged off that kind of thing. Ordaining himself as a greeting committee for Bourke, only for the ladies, smooth steps were taken towards the sitting area. Once there he'd toss his back just on the side of the sofa to rest at its legs and then hopped over the back to sit on the armrest with both of his arms rested on his knees. "You know, it's kind of hard to play the new kid when you're sitting here like an obvious Nancy.

He figured that she hadn't been looking to be noticed or probably didn't really care to be noticed by the fellow Housemates. It was a common reaction either way when being placed somewhere that had been foreign in every aspect. From the area to the people itself, a world filled with strangers that could perpetuate the idea that things were going to be closed or difficult. A gentle whiff coursed through his nostrils, something smelled off - fresh. It smelled familiar in many ways and yet he couldn't put his finger on it just yet, maybe he had just been hungry and projected that need of raw meat of sorts. 

A hand extended out towards her in a greeting. "Anyways, I'll skip the obvious 'Are you new?' since I've never seen you around here before. Jumping right into introductions. The names Travis, I'm a Sixth year in this sports inclined club chosen for us."  Gaze shifted towards the rest of the room for a moment and then back towards her. "Don't worry about them. They take a while to warm up but they're good people. Well... Some are good people, Hah." Trying to umbrella everyone under the same notion of 'Good' was a good way to be liable for the occasional bully that had been bound to pop up. 

It seemed that the book provided by Danielle's helpful roommate described in detail something that was the absolute norm for almost anything pertaining to Muggles - the various uses to electricity, and how it all worked to begin with. It was quite fascinating to her how they managed to harness a literal force of nature and put it to work in so many outlandish uses. Not to mention electricity made it so they could enhance practically everything they already dominated, such as farming and architecture. It was a scary thought of how one thing could cause so much widespread change in a myriad of fields. It was almost as if electricity was the Muggle's brand of magic.

She peeled her eyes away from the book the moment she felt the couch shift under someone else's weight. She had already heard the approach but had been half-hoping she wasn't the target; then again, sooner or later, it would've been unavoidable. Might as well just go through with it, she figured.

Danielle barely caught the meaning of his words at all, taken by surprise that she didn't detect an ounce of hostility in the boy - if anything, he was friendly and sociable. She felt herself relax somewhat, her mood not deteriorating as she expected it to. She pressed down her left hand's index finger on the bottom bend of the book she was reading before snapping it shut as a simple means of bookmarking the page, not wanting to bend a paper sheet that didn't belong to her, figuring she wouldn't get much reading done when engaged in conversation. When prompted, she shook Travis' hand with a firm grip.

Once withdrawing said hand, she retrieved the blood red lollipop from her mouth so to have an easier time speaking properly. "Danielle. It's nice to meet you." Came the british accent as she introduced herself. "It's quite alright, really. It doesn't bother me. If anything, it's refreshing." She wondered why he had approached her. Was he aware and didn't care? Was he not aware?

"You don't seem to be in the same camp as them." She voiced her thoughts ultimately. "Why would that be?" Provided his reasoning was positive, whatever that may be, she would certainly be an advocate for it.

Travis made no effort to try and lighten his steps or sneak up on the teen girl. After all, the last thing anyone wanted in a highly unfamiliar environment had been someone stalking about like some form of predator ready to pounce on a meal. There had also been no reason for him to be hostile towards her, she was no enemy of his and he certainly wasn't in the mindset where he'd been looking for something to munch on. Though there had been something different about her, he couldn't entirely place it other than the unique paleness of her skin. 

It was the sudden grip that caught him mentally off guard, this girl was definitely strong. It forced his own grip to take a bit more of his actual strength to keep it on an equal scale in the grasp. His hand retreated and rested back on his knees. An eyebrow raised up as the smell strengthened when the lollipop had been removed from her lips. "Danielle? Pretty nice name. Foreigner to boot! That's pretty cool, I know we've had a few move in of late. I always find it pretty interesting to how they're managing in this hostile kind of country." A slight chuckle emitted from him. "Refreshing? You've some pretty weird perception on what can be considered refreshing. Most people just settle for a cool drink or a nibble of a sweet cake or something."

His head tilted slightly. "Why would I be?" The kind of lollipop it had been gave him a few ideas of her heritage even with whatever other rumors had been trying to spill out about that kind of information. Even the beating of his heart had been normal with no sense of fear that emitted from the organs as typical tells most would go through. "I'm just looking at a fellow Bourke student, a Girl looking to learn as much as anyone else here." A shrug gently forms as he narrowed his eyes in thought for a moment and then trained them back on to her. 

"Besides, who you are doesn't always correlate to what you are. I'd rather hear from the horses mouth whom they are as a person than take a stab at stereotypes." An easier mindset in certain circumstances to hold, not one he could ever view of himself. But others deserved better than him in that regard he found and felt. "Now, I know what you're thinking - This guy is nuts and I need to get out of here. But I promise I'm not a time waster!" Travis offered a smile that held an attempt and intent to be friendly towards her. "But if you have any troubles with the blokes around here you let me know. I'll straighten them out easy peezy."

Danielle wasn't too sure of how to react to someone complimenting her name. She had never quite understood why she had a french name, of all things - was she named after an ancestor? Her sect did have a branch in France, after all, and she was forced to learn the language because of it. Yes, that was probably why. But before her mind could stray too far, she opted to nod her head in acknowledgement. "Thank you." It was somewhat embarrassing. At least he hadn't found out about her middle name, which was even worse, all things considered.

"Why hostile?" She was the first to admit she hadn't heard a thing about Australia before having been Apparated to it. However, she could agree that the weather felt somewhat oppressive. She should probably acquire a nice cap and copious amounts of sunscreen if she wanted to survive.

"Yes, refreshing. A few odd looks thrown my way or some people talking behind my back don't bother me that much." She's endured worse. At least nobody was flinging a death curse her way. That was certainly refreshing.

Danielle was starting to grow convinced that this student did know whom he was talking to - but, perhaps, he was a victim of some sort of persecution himself, and was looking for allies. It certainly took some form of bravery to approach someone like her anyway. That, or absolute recklessness. "Correct." Perhaps it was for the best if they didn't mention the elephant in the room. For both their sakes.

"That's not what I'm thinking." Travis' upbeat mindset wound up evoking a smile from her - it bordered on a chuckle, but she managed to control herself. "I'm thinking I'm pleasantly surprised over seeing a friendly face during my first day here, and I'm happy about it. Thank you." She wasn't the overly trusting kind, not by a long shot, but she felt at ease with the teenager before her. "I'm just hoping you didn't approach me out of pity."

"No need to thank me. I'm just saying it how it is - well - from my point of view." Or angle, In which he'd been checking her out from his peripheral view. Mostly hoping that she wouldn't go prying through his mind even more so that she held a grasp of her capabilities that it wouldn't be the neonate's slip up that did him in. Though, genuinely, that name itself had been interesting as there often had been tales linked to a persons name. He hadn't been looking for some grand meaning behind it as if searching the net like most new aged muggles. Rather, the actual history between the name and the person. 

"Why Hostile. . .?" A dumbfounded look etched on his face. Almost everyone has heard about the usual gimmicks that others saw and stated about his homeland? He couldn't help but let laughter flood for a moment. "Ah, well, it's often said the one place in the world known to be able to kill you by just stepping on it? Good ol' Australia! That's not including the potential magical creatures that live here either, just the mundane and nature alone would give most people a run for their money and life. Can only imagine how dangerous magical creature counterparts would be.

Imagine, a magical drop bear. 

"Oh, well, I'm pretty sure we all suffer that regardless. I mean. . . High school drama, it kind of goes along with the package. Either someone is yapping or they're staring a hole through your chest." The equal occasion would be undressing with their eyes, but that's something he's found most people were too shy to admit in themselves that they were actually doing. It added some amusement in his day when he caught the occasional person bumble about with that accusation thrown at them. 

There wasn't any certainty in what he expected her to be aside from the more obvious factor that most people wouldn't touch that kind of Lollipop. That narrowed it down to: Dhampir, Vampire, Crazy guy in an Alley, maybe the occasional Werewolf. Personally, he held no urge for the teasing taste rather preferring actual bleeding meat every now and then. 

"It's not? Woo, means I'm already making a good first impression! That bolds well for me." At least until the small bit of rumors about himself manage to make her ear. Admittedly, there had been interest in whether she'd ignore it or avoid him afterwards. "You're very welcome! I try to add a bit of niceness where I go, enough scowling faces make their home in Sturt House. No need to carry it around Bourke." A smile formed as he made the playful competitive jab. "Pity? Nah, Out of all the many reasons in my head? Pity didn't even come up as a contender on that list."

"For so many people to live here peacefully, it can't be that bad, can it?" Danielle suggested. Unless humans were particularly suicidal about their living arrangements - which she admittedly had not much knowledge of at all - then it sounded like this hearsay was blown out of proportion. "Besides, isn't the purpose of this place to learn how to deal with such creatures?" She saw a subject about it in the enrollment form, but she never signed up for it.

She felt the need to question what 'high school drama' meant but figured it would be too on the nose of a question, letting the inquiry reside in her mind for the time being. Maybe she could read about the concept in a book at a later point. "It sounds like something I can live with." If they bothered to come to her directly, she'd be ready to deal with that as well. She was just hoping at that point that no one would resort to violence, against her or her young sister once she enrolled in the main program.

"Sturt House..." She repeated. Danielle was, admittedly, having a hard time remembering all those 'House' names. She didn't even know why she had been sorted to Bourke to begin with, nor what it represented - if it was supposed to even mean anything, that is.

"What can you tell me about these 'Houses'? What goes on in them?" She naively asked, unaware that other magical schools had the exact same concept and that she'd be giving away her educational background by not knowing about such a simple thing.

"Peacefully?" Travis head cocked, expression shifted to a quizzical one all the while examining the young teen before him. Where did she come from that it could be perceived in that manner? "There is a subject that is about encountering magical creatures of various kinds, sure, but there is also a subject called 'Cruel and Unusual Geography'. If that doesn't give you the true picture then nothing will!" His hand waved in emphasis as if to exaggerate the point further for the comedy of it all. "One would think people were trying to sell the place a bit more than it is, but as a native I can tell you it's every bit true. Those magpies are dangerous creatures." Granted, he'd also been attacked by something that shouldn't have had been in Australia in the first place as well. It gave him a perspective on how dangerous other animals could be in that relation. 

"Might not have much of a choice anyways but to live with it, right? I mean you're here. May as well soak it in and make the most of it." There were very few things that could be when the situations were often beyond your own control, the environment of school being one of those things. He started to lean back just a bit to straighten his back and pressed both of hands on the edge of the sofa's arm. "The cards are dealt, the dealer is grinning and the best you can do is call your own bluff and make the dealer fold. But I guess if we didn't have that kind of aspect with most things we encountered it'd be pretty boring.

He blinked several times, did she not come from a school that had that kind of system in place? "Seriously. . .? I mean, sure, but I just didn't expect to have to, honestly. Haha, kind of something that is slapped in every school across the Magical community." Then he started to slide towards the much more soft cushion of the sofa as he leaned back into it, an arm raised up and rested on the back of it. "Well, this Bourke House. The best house by far, no contest. Anyways, it's kind of a system to build up a competitive spirit and give us kiddos a place to fit in. People in a House tend to have similar or complimenting personalities, in most cases that can cause sparked issues but it can get people to get together easier.

His arm shifted slightly to a curve and extended out four fingers. "Typically there are a number of houses, in Tallygarunga there are four: Bourke, Spencer, Flinders, and Sturt. At any point during your sorting you could have been place in any one of these Houses because of similarities that are looked at magically with it. It's a process that measures who you are as a person, not so much your actual deeds but rather what you'd most -likely- do in certain situations. Bourke tends to have athletically advanced people, you'll see a number of people into sports here." Eyes closed gently as he leaned his head back to give himself some time to think up more pertinent information. "You also have the fiercely determined and loyal people here, you make a Bourke friend you have a friend for good - as long as you don't screw them over. Spencer's tend to be the wild child of our family, unpredictable and crazy. Flinder's are the shy little Muffins, good people too. Sturt, eh, they're usually bookish types but always have something rammed really far up their butt."

Cruel and Unusual Geography, another subject she hadn't picked up. Travis' explanation served as a harsh reminder that she needed to catch up to common knowledge urgently, nevermind the simple Muggle Studies book she had laying on her lap. It was starting to get embarrassing. She briefly wondered if he thought Danielle had just been very sheltered as a child. In a way, she was - she couldn't even say for sure if magpies were a type of bird. She hoped they were, the name wasn't too strange. Ferocious birds? Now that would be a sight to behold, and hopefully not get mangled by.

She wound up nodding in agreement. It was ironic that someone could relish in that sort of treatment, but when your background was death left and right, that sort of thing felt like an extended vacation. Besides, if she did stay in Australia for that long, hopefully over time people would just get used to her presence and let it go. Hopefully.

A light eyebrow twitch manifested as she noticed her crass mistake regarding her line of questioning. Of course all schools would have that sort of system. "...Homeschooled. I wouldn't know." She came up with an excuse on the fly. It wasn't entirely false - everything she knew was taught to her by her parents, after all. And from what she's seen thus far, they had taught her a lot more than what's taught in Tallygarunga's school premises, at least from a sheer magical execution level. She had been told to hold back after all. Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Only time would tell.

She took some time to ruminate on the explanation. Wouldn't it make more sense if Danielle had belonged to this 'Flinders' house he spoke of? She just wanted to keep to herself for the most part. "I'm sorry to disappoint, but don't expect much of an athletic edge from me." She was very athletic, no doubt about it, but the thought of having her name broadcast to the masses during a Quidditch match - for as much as the sport itself appealed to her - sent a shiver down her spine. The less attention she drew to herself, the better.

Loyalty was her descriptor, then? She could see how. She would easily give her life to protect her little sister without so much as batting an eye. "What about you? Are you the athletic type?" She could tell the teenager was strong from the earlier handshake, but that was hardly a tell on one's ability.

"It's no biggie, really." He responded once more upon hearing she'd been Homeschooled. "Everyone comes from different kinds of backgrounds. Is it odd to hear that someone doesn't know? Sure. But, I mean, it isn't impossible or even anything to feel bad about, honestly." A person could only know what they were allowed to know. Even with all the resources opened up to people things often felt restricted. The kind of knowledge that would either offer more awareness or understanding found their way under strict watch and guard. In the wizarding world some of it made sense, the wrong kind of exposure could lead people down the wrong way. For all he knew the young girls parents saw learning about the typical of schools useless until it came to the point of letting her getting involved in it. 

A chuckle then was liberated from his lips. "There are tons of different kinds of athletic sports you can get into. But most Bourke's I don't expect to be on the sporty side. I mean, there are a few of us to some degree. But not many are high-flying acts or back flipping gymnasts. Well. . . Not that I've personally met anyways." As for himself he hadn't gotten involved in any form of sports for various reasons, chief among them being that he didn't want the full exposure of his strength expounded on or used for some big hook for winning something. Certain attention wasn't really good attention, no matter how badly people wished or yelled that it could be considered a positive notion. 

"Me? Athletic? Can't say that I really fit that kind of a mold. I'm sure it'd be pretty easy for me if I really wanted to put that kind of effort but. . ." Travis shook his head lightly. "Nah. I'm content with sitting back, relaxing and drawing. I'll let other people in our House set that kind of example. They can stay true blue to the descriptor and idea. As for me? I'll just stick to being my usual self and sketch far from the field.

His hand pushed through his hair slightly as he shined a playful smile. "Besides, I'd have to always pull my hair back into a bun. What if mid flight a string pops out of it? Ends up blinding me and... COLLIDE! Definitely not the kind of thing I want to end up happening. It'd hurt way more than I would care to want.

The feeling of being compelled to justify her past without revealing too much about it made Danielle realize she had to do something she didn't think of before - she had to get her (as well as her sister's) story straightened out so nobody would be suspicious of it. Homeschooling certainly covered for most of her lack of academic knowledge, but she still had to present something regarding people asking them about why they became orphans, and why they were sisters if they looked so different from one another. Hopefully such things wouldn't come up in conversation with Travis, as she didn't know how much she could lie on the fly like that and remain consistent.

As Travis kept talking, the Dhampir kept watching him with an unreadable expression on her face. It felt odd to sit down in a cosy room (outside glares nonwithstanding) and actually have a conversation about something as mundane as sports. It was an entirely alien experience to her, but she couldn't say she disliked it. In fact, she was growing quite fond of it very quickly, and found the teenager before her to be very personable. Could it be that luck finally struck and she met a person she could stand by at school without fear attached to it?

"You could use a tightening charm on a scrunchie." She wound up suggesting. "It doesn't break easy and your hair won't get in front of your face. You could also wear goggles. I was under the impression most players did to avoid tearing up because of the air in their faces when they're riding at high speeds." Perhaps it depended on position? A Keeper probably wouldn't need such a thing, since they'd stay in roughly the same area the whole game. She couldn't see a Seeker spending a whole game without some eye protection, however.

He hadn't planned on jumping deep into the girls life, he had just met her after all. Getting too personal about things that could still be very raw pains and wounds had hardly been the proper start to establishing any form of connection to a person. How he viewed it had been determined due to personal experiences and various encounters through out his Tallygarunga life. A person would feel more comfortable telling of themselves when the times were right, mostly, anyways. Somethings were often withheld regardless and many times for good reasons. 

"Now you're just purposefully trying to poke holes into all my excuses to try and stay off of a team." Travis added as a tease towards her, the true reason behind his refusal had always been the bonus of his unnatural physical features. While it had nothing to do with his own personal fault, at times things could go far beyond his control that he couldn't consider a truly fair "Now I'll have to walk around with fake glasses and say that my prescription is just way too strong. If that doesn't work? Well, then I'd just need to grab a crutch and pretend I sprained my ankle indefinitely. You know, random slip and fun accident.

By this point he'd just been having good natured fun with Danielle. "That would also mean I wouldn't have a lot of time to really just hang out and draw. Some people put way too much time into sports to do anything else. Not really my kind of style or thing, I like putting all my challenging effort towards other activities." He couldn't imagine what it would be like to have the kind of training schedule some Bourke members held with their Quidditich trainings. Sometimes it felt as if most of them just didn't stop and smell the straw of the broomstick. 

The simple tease made Danielle look away from him and down for a moment, not having expected such a thing. Finding humor in it - a rarity in her life, at that point -, her lips cracked a wide smile and she looked back at him once more. It was an odd feeling to slip into comfortability with someone at the drop of a hat like that. "I think you could pull the look off." She eventually replied, wanting to get a jab in of her own.

"What other activities?" She decided to ask, unaware of what people their age did those days for fun. She wasn't ignorant of the fact she urgently needed to develop new hobbies, if only to pass for 'normal' in some way. Tinkering around and drinking animal blood wasn't exactly perceived as normal by student standards, was it?

Her mind was drawn back to the idea of sports. She didn't want her name up there, but perhaps taking on a sport in a recreational manner could do her some good. But, which? Was there anything out there that wouldn't make her roast in the sun? Or anything that wouldn't push her to compete in such a way that her name would be known? She couldn't even say what sports there were out there, given how far removed her past was from normalcy...

"Is. . . Is that a smile?" His hand covered across his own lips and a gasp exhausted from him. Playful shock while he widened his eyes towards her. "I hadn't expected that you could do that. I was thinking you wore the, 'I don't really want to be here' look really well." It was good that she could seem to find some spirit to her, a smile would go along way when being suddenly shifted from whatever life someone may have lived. "You think?" Travis pushed himself from the couch and quickly walked over towards one of the nearby Bourke students and gingerly snatched their glasses. "Borrowing it~, Don't worry I'll take good care of it!" Then turned back towards Danielle and placed them on his face.  . . . Then suddenly started to wobble, the strong prescription made it feel like he'd been drunk. "Woah. . . This. . . Is why I said fake.

After a brief laughter at himself he removed the specks and blinked his eyes several times. Letting his eyes readjust to their natural sights and returned them towards the vehemently vocal student. Which Travis simply ignored as he made his way back towards her and sat back on the couch. "That nearly took my freaking legs out from under me." He gave a snorted sigh and closed his eyes to let them have a well deserved rest due to the expense he'd made them pay. "Oh, well, me personally? I draw, mostly sketches. Different kinds of things. Nature, people, things in motion for the ephemeral artwork style at times.

Then there had been his much more intimate recreational activities, but he'd expected that wasn't something she had wanted to learn about. Instead he'd opt for something much more broad as a definition. "And hang out with a couple of friends in different ways. You know, just having some relaxing fun time. Sometimes it helps to burn away the stress being around the right people. " That trait of needing to socialize held for him whether he'd been in Human form or in his Werewolf state, those that he could feel as if something had been in common with them. "Always important to find what helps you feel as if you can 'take a breath' from things."

The little joke made Danielle's smile stretch out further, up to the point a small laugh erupted. Her cheeks got mildly rosy, which wasn't that much of an accomplishment for someone as pale as her. Before she could voice her response, however, Travis had gotten up from the couch and gone to a nearby student. As she watched the boy with amusement, she placed the lollipop back in her mouth, the stick poking out from the corner of her lips. She bit into it to split the candy apart, allowing it to remain in her mouth when speaking in the near future without sounding weird.

Laughter escaped her again as she saw him getting dizzy. Was he what people usually referred to as a 'class clown'? She had seen the term before but had never seen it in action. As Travis opted to seat on the couch proper rather than just the armrest, Danielle scooted away just a bit to give him some leg room.

"Sketches?" Eyes shone with interest as Travis went on about his hobby. She didn't think she'd be any good in such a thing, but that didn't mean she couldn't appreciate someone else's talents. "Do you have any on you that I can see? What gives you inspiration?" She managed to hold her tongue after the second question, not wanting to overwhelm Travis with her curiosity. She didn't question him on friends, however - one person at a time was probably all she could take in her current mindset.

A soft huff exhausted while he awaited for the constant pulsing from his eyes to eventually cease. Maybe being the sacrificial lamb for a quick smile hadn't been the best option in the moment. Live and you learn, maybe he'll just have to keep fake glasses stuffed in his pockets for it or maybe. . . Just leave the idea alone all together, he didn't expect anyone to truly believe it if he started to tote around plastic lens specks. 

"Oh, yeah, I do them pretty often. I never move anywhere without my sketchbook or a spare. It's practically attached to my waist." They often helped in various moments but mostly it had been a good release for him. The constant images that would always flood and trace in his mind put onto paper and at times, things would be added based on the visual representation he'd wanted to depict. "Mhm, I have more than a few in there. As for inspiration well. . . It can be anything, really. If you're expecting me to be a deep idealist I'm sorry to say I missed the mark in that class." His smile held towards Dani. "My biggest inspiration is the whim itself, the moments that pass from moment to moment. Things that maybe forgotten or whatever pops in my mind as being a good representation of a persons projected personality.

Projected, that had been the best way to explain it. The way they either preferred to be seen by people or what may have just been a simple natural course to them. He reached over the armrest of the couch and pulled the backpack to his lap and unzipped it. Grasping onto one of the more clearly used sketchpads he'd pull it out and open it up. The first page had been a sketching of flowers in bloom, Orchids that looked as if they were planted into a risen garden patch of stone design. It had been clearly by pencil. "This is of some Orchids that are on the roof of the school, they've a pretty expansive garden. It's a good place to think or just enjoy the nature of things.

The thought occurred to him as he glanced towards her. "Mid-noon and Night time, that would be a pretty nice timeframe for you, I think." His fingers slid along the edge of the first page and gingerly flipped it, the next one having been more of a portrait made with charcoal sketching. It showed a young girl with a wide smile, bright, with a few strands of hair pulled just behind the right ear and a single large sunflower pinned at a slight angle on top of the same area. "That's my good friend, Meadow. Pretty nice gal, usually I'm hanging around her on School grounds.

Various other pictures presented different people he'd seen, mostly in pencil drawing, others were full group portraits with an ephemeral theme. It almost would seem as if the people hadn't noticed they were in action while he'd drawn it out: Those making an in motion move in Wizard's Chess, Random girl flying tackling someone into a hug, occasionally the very expressive faces of students messing up a potions project at a table.

Whim. That was an answer Danielle didn't expect, but one she appreciated all the same. She wasn't someone who knew how to live in the moment, having always been concerned over what to do next and what skill should she learn that might come in handy sometime later; it all came as further proof that she could somewhat rely on this young man to show her what it was like to have a minimally normal life. She merely nodded in understanding before her gaze got lost in the full pages of the sketchbook.

The first drawing that came into view was that of nature - orchids, to be exact. While she had seen the flower (among other varieties) countless times in her life, there was something captivating about the way it was displayed upon the paper sheet. "It's beautiful." She found herself saying. Cliché as it may be, those were her honest thoughts - not towards the orchids specifically, but to the art and skill it took to capture them in such a way.

She looked at Travis as he mentioned her directly. "Hm?" The meaning of his phrase was entirely lost to her as she had gotten a bit too distracted by the intricacy of the drawing; and just like that her attention was back on the sketchbook with the flip of a page, inquiry forgotten. The Dhampir was introduced to a pleasant looking girl through the view of the artist. It didn't take a connoisseur to be able to tell the boy cared for this girl through the way he depicted her, which made Danielle smile in turn. "I see. I'll go say hi if I ever see her, then." One at a time, but forming a small and close knit circle wouldn't hurt.

Before she could even wonder if that was a direct portrait or drawn from memory, more and more pages were flipped and she found herself enamored with every single one of them. The only 'pictures' she had spent any sort of time looking at up to that point were wizardkind moving pictures placed on newspapers to keep up with the times as they often had to drop everything to run - it wasn't really doable to keep such 'silly' things with them. "Say... How long did it take you to become this good?" Probably years, if she had to take a gander. "How does one start doing such a thing?"

She had to admit, she was curious to try. It did help that she had a steady hand, but she had a feeling the difficulty curve was extremely pronounced.

A bashful laughter escaped from him as he rubbed the pencil at the side of his neck. "I would say 'Thank you', but I think those that are drawn deserve that honor much better. I may draw it but they're the ones who are pretty much projecting it. I can't take credit for what they display." There were some people that seemed to inspire him, mostly when they've shown a vulnerable enough side that made things click mentally for him. That happened to have the appeal that screamed 'This is them, the essence of who they are or one of many essences.' He leaned back further against the couch and laid the pencil behind his ear for temporary safe keeping. "The hardest part usually is keeping in tempo to what the person is showing in those moments. People, they change shift all the time. What may have been expressed before may suddenly change. But the upside is that when it happens, sometimes, it means I can capture two different aspects to someone." He hadn't expected the methodology to actually mean anything to another person and equally as much he hadn't expected that what he said could make much sense. 

Travis smiled towards her, she seemed to have been extremely engrossed into the drawings. "The Garden, that's on top of the school roof? It's pretty exposed but going around mid-noon or towards the nighttime might be good for you. There are actually very unique blooms that only happen in those hours at certain parts of the year." He had been surprised when he first arrived at the various collection of flowers and other unique blooms that had been collected and even well maintained with various magical spells and wards. It didn't interfere too much with the natural process of certain cycles but it'd been enough to give the students and other visitors that gift of a unique experience if they were inquisitive enough to search. "She might blush a bit at first but I'm sure she'll enjoy it. You know, more gals in the circle. Less me around. I can be a pretty big headache." He stated in a joking manner. 

"Uhh.. A while. I mean, I always had the steady hand to draw. But getting the memory and seeing those kind of things took a while. It took me connecting with a lot people in different ways." It did also help that his mind had been changed to remember certain aspects of smells, noises, and the various social encounters due to the infections shift in his nature. "I actually struggled with something that required me to try and keep focused. Or rather. . . Focus on something else and not get overwhelmed by the thoughts and issues that came along with it. Drawing kind of helped then. I found that overtime I just enjoyed it, finding a comfortable place and slowly going off what I remembered in that moment. Almost as if I could replay those very images in my mind again over and over, the expressions on peoples face, the actions, the height of the moment.

He snickered and shrugged. "You just do. Now, there are tons of different tutorials and testing grounds for it. But it's more about finding your style, going step by step and finding it. Preferences like if you prefer portraits or full body drawings, whether lifelike or more on the cartoonish end. Some people find they can switch between the two and others have a struggle with that 'Same Dimensional' connection. I can always show you my process sometime? The different ways that I draw, setting up and how my hand moves. Honestly, you may catch on a lot better than most people." He hummed for a moment and then nodded as another idea seemed to hit him. "I know Muggle's tend to have a lot of videos on different styles that people tend to watch for inspiration or just to see how to start out. We could do that too." 

It seemed that Travis had misunderstood her compliment, but Danielle made no move to correct him. Instead, she chose to take his words to heart. It was quite admirable in her opinion that someone could see the world in such a way, and see the beauty in things and be able to show how he saw it to everyone else through his creativity; how he could interpret such things in an unique way and be able to convey the thought to others, even if they wouldn't get there on their own. The power to stop and admire, appreciate and flatter something was completely alien to her life, and she couldn't help but feel envious of such a capability. If anything, it served as a stark reminder that she should slow down and take her time appreciating everything around her, from the simplest of flowers to people themselves. Perhaps this young man could help her in such an endeavor - he certainly got her attention hooked. Not that big of a feat in itself, but it still was a bit of a first.

She didn't quite understand why this friend that Travis had would act the way he described, but she didn't think it would do much good to push the subject - she'd just have to learn how the girl works by meeting her face to face. "You could show me the roof sometime, then?" She suggested, still not quite catching on on what he meant but being all too eager to discover this whole new realm nonetheless.

Perhaps she should get a sketchpad, she thought to herself. Could it be that the activity would make her more proactive in tackling her current issues? It would certainly bring a new perspective to things, and she didn't have anything to lose. If anything, she had a whole lot of free time on her hands. Not to mention she could always ask this teen for tips, right? If they were going to be in the same 'House', as they called it, they'd be running into each other a lot anyway.

While she was hanging on his every word, there was one she didn't quite understand the meaning of. It greatly hampered her capability of continuing what she had considered a fairly easygoing and flowing conversation, so she just decided to tackle the issue. "...What are 'videos'?" She stopped herself for a moment, brows furrowing slightly before speaking again. "...Videos? Am I saying it right?" Had her accent butchered the word? Regardless, she couldn't help but feel it was something she most definitely should have known. Looking down at her Muggle Studies book, she hadn't read a mention of such a thing just yet. Perhaps it wasn't connected to electricity? That would explain it...

The instance of his 'world view' of sorts had been to scramble and grasp for some form of semblance towards control of his awareness. To say that he hated the portions of his change that led to him 'Blacking out' only to recall the next morning all the sights, smells, interactions and pain afterwards without any actual input from him would be an understatement. Travis despise it from every ounce of his very being and the insistence of his need and want for drawing even stemmed from that very mindset. That he needed to still some how control the sense of his sight, the containment of his memory and had hoped when he woke the next morning he could flip through the pages and remember that they'd all be designed by him, the person in his right mind. Not him, the beast with no discrimination.

"Show you the roof?" He squinted at her for a moment, now he wasn't sure if this had been another instance of him being hit on with this kind of a request. His hand rubbed at the back of his neck and his expression relaxed and shifted to a loose smirk. "Sure, I don't mind doing that. Let's see. . ." There were several Nightblooms that existed in the garden and unfortunately those that had been timed by the Full Moon were out of the question to ever show Dani. But, of course, there had been the few that followed closer towards the half moon. "We'll have to go a day when the moon is only half-seen. But I can also let you know which ones are Full moon sprouts that you can look for too." He had to leave it at that or he risked tipping what he considered the more sensitive nature of his existence. 

"Ahehe, Yea, Videos. Hey, it's fine, a lot of people haven't heard of them or really even seen them." He looked around for a moment and then pushed off of the couch and made his way towards one of the tables in the common room. Then quickly snatched up a newspaper and sat back down next to Dani to show her the moving images. "So, you know how we have this for our papers and such, right? In the Muggle world they have something called a Video that's a... Motion Picture! That's the term! It's one of the ways they relive moments by connecting some kind of device to a TV or one of their Computers. They even have places called Theaters where they watch these Movies. A motion picture where people act and tell a story, different kinds of genres. Horror, Fantasy, Biographies and other things like that. More like books without the words, you're just sitting back and watching them unfold before your very eyes." He wasn't sure on how in depth he should really get into that kind of an expansive topic and trying to explain it from a academical stance would always take longer. 

"I know, we can go see a Movie. I think that would actually explain it - a lot- better than I ever could."

A day when the moon is only half-seen. Danielle burned these words into memory. She'd have to look at a lunar calendar sometime later. Did the library in school have such a thing? Regardless, she'd wait for the day and go there at the earliest convenience. She didn't seem to think much of his full moon comment, or so her lack of an outward reaction seemed to indicate. She just nodded along. She had never had the opportunity to appreciate such beauty up close before and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't excited with the prospect.

The term 'motion picture' certainly seemed to be something she could follow more easily. Was it like the pictures that wizardkind took, then? They were perpetually in motion. However, a bunch of the terms that followed she didn't seem to comprehend. TV. Computers. It was probably for the best that she didn't have to endure needless classes right away - she'd have at least a couple months to immerse herself in Muggle innovations and culture. Hopefully she wouldn't be too far removed from these terms before classes started back up again.

"I think seeing one of those will help me comprehend, yes." She nodded. "Is there any one of those theaters nearby where I can see a 'movie'? Though I'd rather avoid horror or anything too violent." She's had way too much of that for multiple lifetimes, in her opinion. She didn't want to have an anxiety attack in public either.

While he hadn't intended for himself to actually go, wanting her to see the more beautiful full blooms that occur on a full moon, He also recognized that he couldn't just mention something to someone that had been new and exploring the campus. It'd have been more of a disservice to assist her in not only finding her way there but showing here the patches that had those rare flowers. "We can do it when the weather has started to cool down more and not heating up like it wants to consume or very air from our lungs." He smirked softly at the small barb turned towards the environment and its crazed nature. "So, it will probably be sometime during the new school year if I'm thinking of the likely time." Now that he thought of it, it'd be around the start that his usual monthly symptoms would start to show up in a noticeable peak. 

Travis figured he lost her the moment he started to link various things from the muggle world as a means of how people accessed and viewed what had been an oddity to many wizards in the world. A hand rubbed the back of his neck for a moment and he laughed softly. "Looks like I overwhelmed you there for a bit, didn't I?" His hand lifted up and he lightly waved away the previous escalation that he'd honed on as descriptions. "Hopefully Muggle Studies will cover it, if you're taking it now or later on next year. It's the kind of thing that I don't think I will ever be able to do justice other than showing." Even then it would probably be that moment of amazement and then a sudden bombardment of questions to which he wouldn't even know where to actually begin with it all. 

"No horror or violence? Still a pretty large collection to choose from. Let's see. . ." His brow furrowed for a moment as he crossed his arms and started to slouch against the back of the couch. "There's Romances, Comedy's, things known as Chic flicks, even then all of those kind of have a sub-genre slapped on. Romance Comedy's seem to be pretty big things. There are also movies intended to try and pluck the crying strings, really deep stories kind of deal.

"That's fair. I don't do too well with heat." Such was the curse of those of her kin. While it was something that didn't bother Danielle that much - she vastly preferred nighttime anyway - it was certainly something that would get on her nerves through the Summer. She had heard that heatwaves expected them, and that would be somewhat problematic to get through; not to mention she couldn't exactly go out and perform magic to cool herself off as she was underage, being forced to stay in Tallygarunga's premises in order to do so. She didn't particularly look forward to the next few months as a result.

Her expression looked apologetic as her confusion was seemingly caught by the fellow Bourke, and she nodded. She technically had just 'gotten off the boat' in a manner of speaking - everything was just a big, bouncy question mark for her. But she had to get through the culture shock no matter what if she wanted to survive, and she would. For her sister's sake. She was already overwhelmed, yes, but it was a good place to start as any.

"Anything's fine, I think... I can't really comment if I'd like a genre or not. Never had much time on my hands to peruse fiction." She'd leave it at that. Her issue hadn't been so much time as it had been opportunity, or a distinct lack thereof. "If you have any recommendations, I'll take them." She did know everything in the Muggle world costed money; hopefully these 'movies' wouldn't be too expensive. He gave off the idea that there were many, so if there's plenty to choose from, logic dictated that it would contribute for more competitive pricing. Right?

A small smirk pressed on his lips. "Yea, I hear a lot of people tend to nearly wilt when it starts to peak really high. Personally, I find it difficult to really enjoy it when the sun itself is just smack dead in your eyes yelling, 'Hey, hey. Do you see me? I'm here. Just in case. . . Blind, blind blind.' The Moon, It's much more relaxed in certain points. A soft light which can be pretty good for viewing different kinds of things in the world." Mostly just the flowers, in his opinion. He could do without the occasional viewing of the moon during the encounters with more nocturnal magical beasts. Most times they were pranksters and many people didn't even realize it! The kind of jerks a person would want to avoid for the safety of their shoes, shirts, and hair for the random drop-on's. 

He shook his head as the look fell over Dani, a hand rose up in protection for her own knowledge or the lack thereof. "It's all good, Dani. Really, it isn't a bad thing and it isn't something I consider a waste of time either. Hey, if anything else? It's like me relearning everything and then most likely coming across something I've never noticed before. The benefits of experiencing certain things multiple times, every time, it seems just a bit different. A unique experience of something you've never caught because you were too focused on searching for something else.

"Oooh, fair point. I think I got ahead of myself there for a moment." A laughter of brief embarrassment ricocheted from him and a hand rubbed at his cheek as an afterthought. "So, before I start breaking out all these various contraptions. . . We can hit up a theater itself. I think that kind of experience everyone - Wizard, Muggle, Old Woman in a shoe, should experience. We can always go and see what they're playing and see what really pops out as an interest for you. But I do also have this collection of a movie called 'Ocean's Eleven'. It's pretty decent.

If only Danielle's issue with the flaming, blinding orb in the sky was the same as most other people's. She could see it was visibly uncomfortable for them - their skin still fried with the exposure, the heat left them in shambles, they still needed to shield her eyes with sunglasses; the Dhampir, however, was particularly susceptible to these side effects. The sun would quite literally cook her alive if she wasn't careful, and she was far weaker to heat in general than most people, making her far more prone to have a heatstroke. Despite the mental comparison, she gave a wry smile and nodded. The dead of night was much more her speed, and she couldn't deny that the moon was beautiful.

"Ocean's... Eleven...?" What an odd name. She could infer very little from it. "What's it about? Something about the sea...? A starting point if any, I suppose..." Maybe it was about eleven boats at sea? Eleven fishermen? Eleven wrecks? Islands? "Wait. Collection... There's more than one?" So, like a saga? She's heard of some books that followed a storyline through multiple of them, but never actually touched any. Maybe it worked the same way? But, if Muggle movies were in the same vein of wizard pictures, how could they consistently tell the same story every time?

The inner confusion was visible in her face. Her eyes fell once again on the ancient Muggle Studies book laid upon her lap. She had a lot of reading to do, didn't she?