School Status:
Ending Term 4

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.

Adoptable Spotlight

THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC
Sign in to follow this  
Travis Franklin

Sketch and Chill (November 9th, 2018)

Bourke ☆ Seventh Year Guest
17 year old Halfblood Werewolf ☆ HE/HIM

A stack of textbooks sat at the leg of the bench that Travis had been sitting on, the presence of the sun beamed onto the roof garden. It was a comfortable feeling on his skin and it brought a small smile to his face. "Man, this feels so good." Even if the weather was mild just being able to bathe in the rays was a boost to the day for him. It also gave him plenty of light to work on his sketchpad, what had turned into an attempt to study ended up being flipped around as a means to draw. The flowers were in the state of starting to bloom and it was the kind of thing you only could catch by luck or if you were really into planting. 

The tip of his pencil glided along the blank pages and every so often a lifted gaze would stare at his subject and then drop back down to the paper. The visualization stayed within his mind unless the subtle change of the wind caused an unfinished portion to shift in which he'd rectify the drawing to fit more accurately towards that image. Something that could be considered ephemeral - caught and drawn in the moment. A difficult technique to manage if it wasn't already engraved within the minds eye. This is when he started to shift off of the bench and slide down to press his back firmly against it.

Travis leveled himself to provide a newer angle which gave him a newer perspective, it seemed to be a bit more full in that regard too. Hands rose off of the pad and the wrists rested on the raised kneecaps. At this point he was just admiring the series of flowers and blooms that filled the section of the roof that had been chosen as his temporary haunt for the evening. It was rare that he was able to have such a quite moment, to enjoy the calm that even the current display of nature offered. It was a minor getaway from the constant studying he'd piled on since the start of the exams for the ending stretch of the year. 

Flinders ☆ Sixth Year Poppy
17 year old Halfblood Human ☆ she/her

Her shoulder felt empty. The small amount of extra weight that often perched there, a weight barely felt most of the time, right then felt like someone had chopped off one of her limbs. This, she thought, is what people who went through tragic loss felt like. Like someone had just come along and hacked off an important part of their person then wandered off with it leaving that person in pain and despair.

This was where Remi was right at that moment it limbless despair. Well, not so much limbless as she defiantly had all of those. A brief stop in her crawling mission to find what she was looking for was done, just to check she wasn’t missing any arms and legs as well. When all limbs were accounted for and the usual areas checked the young woman stood and brushed herself down.

There was only one place left to look.

The court yard; so turning on her heels she headed that way, stopping other students and even a few teachers every couple of steps to ask if they’d seen her missing appendage.  Naturally no one had; after all, he was small and quick on his foot tiny feet. It would take someone with the skills of a seeker to have seen him before he scuttled passed them.

Pushing open the door to the yard, she sighed heavily and pushed a few loose strands of mud colored hair from her face. When she found Appendage she was going to give him a stern talking to about running away. He was after all an old boy and going on jolly adventures would not be good for his tiny heart.

His tiny, tiny stone cold witch abandoning heart.

It was during this rather vehement thought and a few others that were less than animal friendly that she made her way towards the young man who was sat minding his own business by staring at flowers. Remi stopped for a moment a few inches from the young man and watched him, blinking as she looked between him and the flowers.

“Excuse me,” she said finally, stepping forwards figuring though he was interested in flora that perhaps he would have seen a four legged escapee and clocked it “You haven’t seen my Appendage have you?” she asked, inching closer again when she noticed the pad and drawing implement in his hand.

“He’s about yay high.” she said indicating the height of aforementioned appendage with index fingers “Four tiny legs and a long tail that looks like a worm.” hopefully this boy had seen him and could send her off in the right direction in her mission.

A low hum resonated from him as he continued to work on his drawing or sketching - more specifically. At least until the sudden presence of steps that clicked against the ground caught his attention and disrupted his concentration. "Sorry sweet petals. . . Your lives will only be captured in very unfinished lines. Mmm. . . For now." He'd started to fix himself up to lean more firmly against the bench while making the finishing touches to what he'd been sketching out, a way to allow himself to begin from a good place rather than just suddenly stopping abruptly. It was often how his work came out horrid, if he just took the time to actually finish up a designated section then it had a chance to look as close to his minds-eye. 

"Your. . . Your what. . .?" That caught him enough off guard that his pencil actually stopped. Eyes drawn towards the young girl and just stared in bewilderment. Did she. . . Ask him what he thought she did? Was this some kind of new flirtation to get him to look at her? This thought in his mind caused him to lean back ever so slightly just enough to fully inspect her from face, to curves, to feet - certainly a looker in his expert opinion. The kind of opinion that is derived from spending a lot of time checking out various women and their unique traits.  

For science. 

Then she began to clarify and it snapped the runaway thoughts, so, she wasn't looking for an ACTUAL appendage and it was obvious now that it wasn't some random come on to get him to check her out. At least he managed to get the chance to do it, would have been a sad day to miss that kind of an opportunity. "Oh~, A  pet! Oh, man, you really had me going on a mind trip there. I thought you like. . . Lost a finger or toe or something." It seemed like everything sat in its proper position too. Though he didn't hold back from double checking a couple of times or more through his peripheral vision. 

"Can't say that I have." He hadn't heard nor smelled anything that seemed awkward. Then again depending on the creature the flowers scents could have been overpowering it too. "How about I help you find him? What's he look like? You know, aside from. . ." His fingers mimicked hers. "Yay high." This is when Travis started to gently close the pad and tuck it into a backpack along with the writing utensil and nestled it in a small woven strap that hung on the outside of the exterior of the pack. Then he'd pick it up and placed it right on top of it text books. A remind that he'd need to grab them all when the time came to depart form the area. 

"Let's start with I don't know. . . Color, species, maybe any unique smells you might come across with him?" The last part being much more pertinent in information to him. If he could have what too 'smell' for in his mind then perhaps he could pick up the scent even in his much more human state. "Hopefully we can get him before he gets' himself into some trouble? . . . Like some random other pets mouth. That'd be pretty bad.

It was obvious to her that she had startled the boy, since he seemed to jump a little and stop his doodling, well, that’s what she assumed he was doing. Though before she could change that assumption into an actual musing which would then, no doubt, progress to her craning too see what he was actually doodling, the boy spoke. His words told her that she was right that she had startled him, after all the poor duck could barely get his words out. Then he did, in her opinion, the oddest thing she’d witnessed in the last twenty minutes.

He lent back ever so slightly and stared at her. Did she have something on her nose? She wondered reaching up and rubbing the left side of her nose just in case she did have some mystery stain there. It felt like he’d been staring at her for hours before he opened his mouth and spoke.

He could form actual words and sentences! This was a fantastic thing she felt and the only thing that stopped her from naively congratulating him on this most basic of accomplishments was that he kept talking. He hadn’t seen Appendage. On that revelation she was going to simply turn and continue her search for her missing friend. She even went to do so, turning the angle of her body slightly only to here the next line that came out of his mouth.

“You would?” she asked, turning her body back to face her savior, almost bouncing up on her toes in anticipation of help.

“Oh, well, his name is Appendage. He’s a Rat with brown fur.” she thought for a moment, hoping that would cover everything needed to find her missing pet “and a long worm like tail but it’s really very soft. He also does this thing when he is happy where he grinds his teeth together and his eyes bulge out...” she trailed off a little after that “but that won’t help us locate him. You asked something else, right? Oh!” she clicked her fingers when the memory of what he said came back “Smell! He smells like a rat, which, I can’t really describe.”

What were they feeding the girls in this place? Or. . . Where ever this ball of energy had emerged from. At least she seemed the focused sort with how she'd been more in tune with searching for her pet. It was a rat at that it seemed. "Sure, why not? I don't think you'd end up finding him the way you're handling it. Not with how big this school is and the amount of nooks, crannies, and secret passages that make it up." It had been a plausible idea that the rat could find his way back to the owner, but what were the chances? At least in consideration to other students pets that would snatch him up for a snack. 

"Appendage. . .  I would say that's an odd name for a pet but I have heard odder." Literally, an Otter named Odder, had been one that topped the list of 'Odd Names you probably should avoid.' If just to side-step confusing people. "If we're lucky he's probably just munching on some crumbs with his eyes bulged out in happiness." 'Smells like a rat', well, that didn't help all too much. There were a myriad of smells that littered through the school that could mess with his senses as a Human. Maybe if he'd been in his other state with his mind fully intact. . .  But the Rat probably would run from him now that he thought of it. Oozing the aura of a predator had been an easy catch for the animal kingdom. 

A hand rubbed at his chin in thought which had been followed by a hum. "This might take up a lot more time than I thought it would have. . ." He didn't mind spending that time but he also wanted to make sure he could get to the creature before anything could befall him. "Do you remember where he last was when you seen him? That might actually help a bit to narrow down where he went that way." All he really needed was a signature to go on, just a simple strand of the stench that he could follow and track like a meal - Minus the actual eating part of it all. 

He'd have to make up a well-fitted excuse for this all to make some form of sense. If only to avoid being claimed as some supernatural hunter. "My Father used to do a lot of Tracking in his hobby times. I picked up a few tricks to try and find different kinds of animals and their usual signs on where they've been after coming across a few of their sites. You know, habits, things they prefer and enjoy. That kind of thing.

“I don’t know, I’m a very good finder!” she replied, not entirely unaware than what she was saying might encourage him to return to his previous activity instead of helping her finding her run away rodent “But, four eyes, two noses and four feet is a much better way of searching!” she concluded, hoping that he wouldn’t be put off. It really would be a big help having two people looking. It also helped that he seemed to have a good knowledge of the grounds. This was knowledge she lacked, then again, she had trouble finding her way out of her own apartment building at times. This could have been due to the fact that she was still fascinated with elevators and spent too much time going up and down the various floors.

He mentioned her rats name and the fact he’d heard worse one in his time. This information peaked her curiosity and without thinking she took a small step towards him “Really? What names?” though this clever boy distracted her from that by bringing her back to the current problem, which was Appendage and his merry adventure. Well, she hoped it was a merry one. It was just as likely that he’d been kidnapped by rogue rats and was being ransomed for a handsome piece of cheese.

“I put him in his cage and told him too stay as I had a class. Sometimes the teacher people don’t like that he joins me. Which I think is unfair, Appendage is entitled too an education.” not that the rat really ever paid attention in classes. He usually shuffled under her clothes and slept. Rat’s probably didn’t need to know that much about the world, now that she thought about it.

“When I got back to my room he was gone. I have looked every where inside. Which is what brought me out here too you.” she smiled up at him at that, letting her dark eyes dance over his face. He was very pleasing too the eyes, she’d rather like to look at him longer but, well, he did the talking thing again.

“Well, Appendage likes his bed, my shoulder,” she reached up with a finger touching her shoulder as she said this “He also likes going down my top, but, he’s not there.” though she still pulled at the t-shirt she was wearing to demonstrate where she meant. Then she remembered that it would probably be a good idea to introduce herself to this kind stranger.

“Oh! I’m Remi!.” holding out her hand for him to shake “It’s nice to meet you.”

"Well, I guess if you don't -really- need me." A playful quip slipped out, though it seemed by this point he'd picked up that he had been most likely dealing with a person that didn't understand his unique brand of humor. Or maybe even sarcasm in general. "It definitely doesn't hurt to have that many extra appendages looking for Appendage." A grin formed on his lips from the awful wording. Sometimes he had to get them in when he could, a line passed up was a line forever forgotten in the annals of history. There had been something unique about her and he just couldn't put his finger on it, even the smell of her seemed different compared to most people he had encountered in the school. Not an unpleasant smell on her personally but more of a previous environment that seemed somewhat out of place. 

It seemed they managed to side step the lengthy conversation of expounding on the names of pets he'd encountered. They'd have probably been there all day and not get any closer to the goal, which seemed to be very important to the girl that she find the little rascal that had to be scurrying about the school. But with a better idea of how the rodent "I. . . Well, yea, I guess he is. Shouldn't have to count him out if he's willing to learn." It wouldn't have been the first time he heard that angle for a pet in class, but he'd suspected that in this particular case it was meant more honestly than in other cases. "No rat left behind, should be a thing.

"So. . . Soft places and high places, that's fair that it led you up here then." Travis' eyes started to glance around the area for a moment, as if he'd been inspecting the slightest of motions or rustling amongst the various leaves and flowers that were in summer bloom. It had been quickly taken away as she introduced himself, concentration broken entirely. Place a pretty girl with a name before him and all else goes out the window in most if not all cases. Part of him wanted to check down her shirt with her. "Are you sure he isn't do- . . . Nevermind." But he decided that it wasn't that moment to start searching there and come off as a weirdo. 

His hand extended out to grasp hers gently, a gentle shift of the tip of his thumb rubbed along the space between the finger and her thumb. He even made eye contact with her. "I'm Travis, nice to meet you too, Remi. Pretty nice name there too, rolls off the tongue." Of course, he'd probably roll her off his tongue too - but maybe right now hadn't been the time for his usual potentially perverse antics. The task needed to stay on hand and that meant finding the squeakings. To make it easier on himself he'd smoothly pull his hand from hers after the shake and placed it into his pocket and turned around for a moment. 

Eyes closed tightly as his previous cursory look yielded no results and instead he shifted to using the senses of his nose, taking a hefty whiff of the air and the latent smells that would potentially still linger on the girls clothes that seemed 'off' about it not being human. A faint scent on the air, it had been a bit further than he had anticipated but still enough to be caught as a familiar scent. "Ah. . . I think I may have an idea of where he might be here. " He pointed towards the direction where the smell had been much more prevalent aside from being next to him. "He's most likely that way." Every phrasing of his words a way to make sure he didn't give off the factor of his less human heritage. 

“Noooo...” Remi said at his response to her pointing out she was pretty good at finding, jumping forwards and into his personal space. Then, of course, he changed his tune and it turned out he was most likely teasing her. The problem was that she’d got so close to him that she sort of forgot what he’d been talking about with him. Then, thank Merlin, he reminded her and as quickly as she’d jumped into his space she moved out of it with a bright grin on her features “Exactly, there can never be too many appendages!”

It was nice that he agreed that Appendage was entitled to an education, well, he mentioned all rats though Remi felt that perhaps all rats was a bit extreme. After all, if all the rats were allowed an education and into classrooms then they would have to offer that out to other animals as well, such as cats, dogs and owls. Then each species would need separate rooms otherwise the rats would not live long in a class with those fearless predators that were cats. The dynamics of inter pet species education was something she would have to mull over during a less dramatic time.

“Did you want to check down my top?” she asked, frowning at the movement he made. She was quite able to see under her own clothes “There isn’t any place to hide down there, really.” she said, pulling her top forwards to just look again. Then the hand shaking took place, along with him holding on to her for a little longer than she was used too. She returned his direct eye contact and smiled again, assuming that he was just one of those people her mum had mentioned before. Someone who was very friendly and tactile.

Then the moment moved on to him pointing where he thought Appendage would be.

“Oh that’s fabulous!” she said clapping her hands together and stepping up next to him “When we find him I’ll have to give you a present for helping find his wandering furry butt.”

If he had an actual limit on where his bubble would be counted as 'Personal space invaded' it would have been in this moment. Luckily? He didn't mind to much, of course the closer she'd moved to him the more powerful her smell radiated through his nostrils. He mentally cursed at the hyper sensitivity of his natural senses even within his Human form. It made everything pop out so much more, so many things had become noticeable. "Well, not -exactly- true. There are sometimes too many appendages in some cases. But, that's neither here or there." Like in those intimate moments, sometimes there could just be 'One Appendage too many' for his personal liking. The downfalls of being the sort that enjoyed to focus and be focused. 

"Wha-? I mean. . . Yes, but mostly because as you said, two appendages are better than one. Sometimes you need extra eyes and hands for searching, right? Even can miss finding stuff on yourself." Travis had started think at what point in his life did he become so shameless. "It's like when you're patting yourself trying to find glasses or keys, when they're right on you but you just can't see it because of a different perspective? I figured, hey, My perspective might help to make sure that he isn't there!" . . . There had been no chances that she'd actually fall for that kind of a party line, right?

As things progressed, he had managed to locate a faint scent. Whether it would have lead them to her companion remained to be scene, there were faint traces of her own unique smell laced onto another and their own. It was hardly detectable on the air, luckily it had been growing closer to that 'point in time' this month. The usual senses of his had grown hyper sensitive and his certainty was much more in confidence. 

"A present for me? What kind of present?" This sounded like another pickup line, was something really going to happen just because she had been helped with such a task? Well, he presumed the rascal had been extremely important to her. Anything could be potentially possible if she'd been very emotionally connected to Appendage. He started to lead the way with careful steps, not to give too much alert towards the quarry that they 'hunted' of sorts. Eyes darted from one side of the area to the next, nostrils flared to take in the unique scent once more, each whiff reminded his brain and instincts to keep on the particular trial. 

Remi listened to his reasons for checking down her shirt with one eyebrow raised at him. At the same time she was furiously trying to figure out if his argument actually made any sense. After all, her mother always warned her that boys had different logic to girls and a smart girl had to unravel the logic too see if it made sense. The problem with that is Remi wasn’t always the smartest girl in the room, especially rooms around Tallygarunga. Here she felt like a complete rat out of it’s cage. Free but over whelmed with the vastness of the new world before her. This was probably how Appendage felt right then.

He’d escaped his locked in life but now that he was out in the world, he would be scared, alone and vulnerable to all sorts of confusing logic. So after a moment of calculating his logic and reasoning it out with her own, she responded.

“Perhaps. But Appendage is a living wiggly creature. I think I would know if he was under my clothes.” though some of what he said made a small amount of sense so she added “However, if we don’t find him then I will let you check. Just in case.” this seemed like a satisfying compromise between them and so they could move on. This lead them on a bit of a search and then her announcement about giving him a present.

“Hmm, I hadn’t thought about that. What sort of things do you like?” she asked, going over a list of things she had at not only school but also at the flat she lived in outside of the school hours. She might have some left over chocolate frogs, after all, she’d only really be interested in the cards and after a while she kept getting doubles and triples of the same ones, so she’d stopped collecting and opening the ones she did have. After all, there was only so many Harry Potter’s one could get before realizing he was actually quite an annoying person.

Now, he didn't think the argument that he'd made would even pass the phase of being contemplated. But it had seemed as if Remi had actually been taking it into some consideration. Had she been trying to find the flaw in the logical jump? Travis had been more interested in not just seeing if she'd actually allow for him but the small perverted side of him wanted to see what size she'd been working with. Curiosity for the sake of curiosity almost always gave the wrong kind of image as it was. A small laughter escaped from him when she'd managed to find the much more obvious fact that dismantled the point he'd given. 

"There is a point there." It'd been the following addition that his eyebrow arched upwards. He hadn't been expecting her to actually let him and now she'd given a clause that could potentially be possible. Had this been her own way of flirting with him? Or had this been something else entirely. . . The question beckoned into his mind that he hadn't really known much about the way she thought or saw things. She'd been odd in her own unique way and yet that was a claim a lot of people could make which made understanding the predicament that each individual had been in or come from much easier. 

On the wind, the stench of the rodent had begun to get stronger. The form of his brow twisted in discomfort from the smell that radiated, it wasn't often that those particular animals bathed but did they really need to smell so awful? "Sort of things I like. . .? Well, all depends. I do like new sketch books and pencils." And he did enjoy talking and flirting with women of various backgrounds and interests. Learning about them and seeing them smile and giggle had been a bit of a drug but fulfilling in some ways. Someone always needed to realize they were attractive to someone, deserved a bit of a smile on their face to make a potentially horrid day just a fragment better. "Oh, I know! How about during the summer we can go to a beach or something. I think relaxing and having fun is a pretty good present. This school years been a drag and stress galore. And I don't get to take a dunk in water often.

Not that he intended to really take his shirt off there either, maybe something like a surfers wetsuit or the sort. "Or somewhere else like some kind of roller skating rink. That'd be a pretty awesome way to spend some downtime." Even as he spoke his steps instinctively started to grow slower to a near creep the closer they made it towards their quarry's direction. He wanted Appendage to be caught off guard enough that grappling him would be possible, his hand raised up and rubbed the center of his nose. The smell had been getting worse. . .  

Maybe he should give Remi a gift of a couple of pet grooming's and shampoo? Of course, he also expected that may end up agitating the little guy. 

The fact that he liked things do with pencils and papers wasn’t all that surprising since she’d sprung out on him when he was using such items. She hadn’t really looked at what he’d been doing with them and since she had been on a single minded mission to find her furry run away curiosity over it had been shoved to the back of her mind. That would likely return when Appendage was safely back on her shoulder. That was if she decided to allow him such rides anymore, after all, he’d run away and that deserved some kind of punishment. Yes, she thought, no shoulder time for Appendage.

Once she had decided what punishment would befall her wayward rodent and pushed the thoughts about pencils and paper aside as well she zoned in on what else Travis was saying. The beach? She’d never been too the beach. She’d never been allowed to go places like that. The Mother always said places such as beaches were where muggles and tainted magic users would congregate, mix together and prey on the pure, such as herself.

The Mother said that about everywhere outside of their own compound. Remi had found her to be wrong with almost all the places she had said where ‘diseased’.

“Oh, I have never been to the beach before.” she replied excitement rushing down her person, the thought of going especially with Travis who she had decided was going to be one of her very best friends, it hadn’t really occurred to her to ask him what he wanted “What’s a roller skating rink?” she asked, tilting her head slightly as she continued to follow Travis where ever he led her on their joint mission to save Appendage

Someone never going to the beach before hadn't surprised him in the slightest; People had different beliefs and on the much larger scale families that tended to be extremely strict on various levels. He wasn't aware of how deeply seeded Remi's own parents had been or even if she had them around in her life in general. But whomever had been the one guiding her through majority of her life didn't seem to allow her the more exciting exposures such as the Beach. "Oh, I think you'd love it. Get the chance to wear a bathing suit and jump in the water. Splash around a bit and play with a beach ball to slap around. It can get pretty exciting." With the addition that maybe, just maybe, someone might loose a bathing suit mid horsing around. Then again, he had stopped appearing at the beach himself ever since the scars had begun to grow more pronounced along his body. "I haven't been there in a while because of uh. . . Family reasons. I'm mostly home making sure things are nice looking and don't get too crazy." His Mother didn't have the time to do the usual adult duties and errands and so it fell onto him to be a productive house member. 

What had really knocked him for a loop had been the fact she had no idea what a roller skating rink had been. Not being to one had been much more common but everyone's heard of them, right? Or. . . Maybe not everyone from what had been displayed by the youthful brunette. "Hrm… How to explain it." Fingers scratched and danced along his goatee in thought on how to paint an appropriate picture that had also been equally enticing and informative. "So, roller skating rink's are usually indoors and sometimes outdoors depending on the area - where people would use special equipment to kind of just roll around. Skateboards, Roller Blades and Roller Skates; Stuff you either wear on your feet or stand on that have wheels that help you move around in those places. Indoor ones have really slick floors to help with moving faster, waxed and buffed." The idea itself had always been appealing to him, enjoying the recreational fun that had been offered all around. 

Travis, at this point, hadn't been keeping too much awareness on where this smell had been leading him. Only that it had been changing from the roof and pushing lower into the building where the roof covered over their heads. His head shifted about allowing for his eyes to catch a much larger scope of glance in the area. Then he softly hummed and closed his eyes with a single hand pressed against the wall and his nose accepting another strong whiff of the unique order that flooded. Ears twitched to hone in on the slightest bit of movement - there it had been - a scratch that had only been a trademark of rodents burrowing their way through; trying to design their own path way. But was it him or another. . .? "I think I may hear him nearby. . . Or at least something that has similar tendencies.

His attention turned towards Remi fully. "This is where your expertise comes in a bit." A small and warm smile curved on his lips. "What are the usual ways that you call him to get his attention? Maybe if he hears you he may come out and save us the trouble of further hunting him down." Or he could give them quite the chase, both were appealing to him but for different reasons. The animal on the inside demanded a proper hunt, to be satisfied and fulfilled with seeking a marked prey and cornering it enough that it could be taken as intended. But that hadn't been the most comforting feeling to him; the other feeling had lined along the fact that he didn't want to let the more base instincts have their way. 

Sign in to follow this