School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

17 year old Halfblood Werewolf ☆ HE/HIM

"Oh, that's why I always suspect every person with a smile on their face. The most dastardly people are salesmen, after all. Only fitting to know that the sweet faced people are hardly different!" Travis wasn't truly that pessimistic but it hadn't been an entire lie either. He'd learned to never trust a smile, that there could be an underlying reason that such a grin would be offered. Where Samantha had been placed for him in that particular light, he wasn't sure just yet. All the say he'd have probably kept her at arms length regardless of the route. 

"You know, secrets are often made to be told. At least, that's what some gaudy detective show would probably say." He honestly hadn't been thinking of making any untoward movements or actions towards the younger Bourke. The ruffle search of her hair leaning more on the more friendly side of things than to actively invade that personal space in a perverse manner. 

He tilted his head thoughtfully. "In that case, I'll just have to hit you with random nicknames until one really sticks that's unique. I can't be mimicking other people, that just isn't my kind of style." A shrug followed suit as he preferred to keep to his own personal style. Then a laughter flowed from him. "The prize, huh? That's what we're classifying that as now?" Soft sigh huffed as he considered what she could 'remember' him by. "Well, see, if I let you know? Then you don't really get to do all that work yourself. But, hey, maybe one day you'll hear the rumor mill of me? Someone will eventually do proper investigation out of just being nosy.

"You seem to have a high opinion of me in that department than, Sam." He'd preferred if he could keep up the much more deflective nature in regards to his potential encounters with the opposite sex. "Are you saying you've been watching me? You know, admitting that out loud may cause a butterfly and break a string of hearts." A grin shifted on his lips as he teased her. "Here I thought I'd been keeping a pretty low profile on things. There goes me proven wrong."

Bourke ☆ Apprentice BakerKirupachi
15 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

"Everyone has something to hide, Travis. Maybe you're right, those with the widest smiles are those that manipulate the most." Samantha said, purposefully grinning as she spoke. It was all a joke between them but the half-Veela was painfully aware that this could be true in a lot of cases. It was a bit of a curse at times to only see the best out of everyone and being blissfully ignorant to everything else.

"Most people have their own nickname for me, you can just pick and choose. I don't mind either way." Meadow called her Sammy, Keira called her Samster, Amber called her every silly sounding name under the sun (she was pretty sure she called her Samwise Gamgee last time they met). Admittedly, Sam was quite fond of Travis' choice of 'Sammy Bear', usually. animals were cute! She liked bears, but fortunately she wasn't stupid enough to want to hug one. "Maybe I should pick one for you too? Let's see... Travel Guide!" She giggled at her own silly antics.

"I could hear about you, yes. But asking about you would turn the rumor mill itself, I think." It was a pretty silly thing, but she was used to that sort of school dynamic after so many years. "Some people are very... creative."

She shook her head in amusement and sighed out. "You keep selling yourself way too short. Have you taken a moment to actually pay attention to people looking at you?" Perhaps he was so fixated with the girl he happened to be flirting with at the time that he became oblivious to such a thing. It was oddly adorable to think about it that way. "Keep an open mind. You never know who's paying attention."

"Hey, you've proven it this entire time! Getting me to a dance, even trying to drag me off toward some store for trying on clothing."  Travis waved a finger towards her in a playfully chastising manner. He shrugged lightly afterwards with a small smile. "But people are entitled towards the secrets. Not so much the manipulation, that is something entirely different!" Perhaps one of the few reasons on why he kept a strict length between himself and others. What if someone had managed to manipulate him into a situation where he could turn and end up a danger? No. . . That would be too much. 

He snorted with a grin that couldn't leave from his face, the nickname itself having been shuffled under his many categories of 'Adorably Cheesy'. "Travel Guide? What, do I think I can take you to new landmarks you've never seen before?" Now that he thought about it, it could make for a very bad pick-up line scenario. Such as what he had just asked and it made him chuckle harder. "I think I'll stick to Sammy Bear, occasionally shortened to Teddy if the mood hits me. It will be great, no one else will really get it but us." A thumbs-up had been offered afterwards. 

"Well, either the rumor mill will churn or I will end up thinking your questions have some kind of hidden reason behind them." He would be more surprised if she did ask any question pertaining to understanding him further. It wasn't something he'd expected of anyone and often tried to dodge it even if he playfully used it as a reason to try and keep people away from the amount of work it could entail. "Creative isn't always bad. Makes things interesting to hear about.

He'd always kept his awareness about him, whether it had been a flattering gaze or one of contempt he made sure that he watched people around himself. His lack of extended trust made it a prudent activity to do and more often than not his sketching had been a means to do just that. "Sometimes, but it's mostly because I get that itch that says someone maybe staring at my masterworks. I can't let them be seen before they're finished, you know." A soft snicker followed. "Paying attention? That sounds pretty ominous, I mean, I don't mind if they want to look. But they can at least wave once or twice so that it isn't too awkward." He decided to be a bit of a playful and good sport about the idea of it. 

"Is it manipulation if I'm just giving you a push towards something you want to do?" Samantha suggested in good humor. She was actually honestly surprised Travis had been resistant to the idea. It felt like a no brainer to her. Then again, she couldn't possibly read people correctly ten out of ten times, some miscommunication was always bound to happen.

"Would that be so bad? Maybe you're the Aladdin to my Jasmine." She joked as the Disney song 'A Whole New World' played in her head once he spoke - she actually had to consciously stop herself from making it worse and singing along. "Maybe that's what I should call you, yes. Travel Guide's just not original enough."

"I'm pretty sure you enjoy some of the material people put out sometimes. They make lives sound way more interesting than they are." Sam chuckled. She's lost count at how many purported significant others she's had over the years. "I take it you'd rather have me question you, then. To keep things interesting."

"You're okay with being eye candy then?" The idea was amusing to her, even though she didn't exactly share the sentiment. "Do you mind if I look?" She wasn't going to, but might as well keep up with the joke. If anything it gave some levity to her day. She was really enjoying the extended conversation with the teen, and felt like she could forget about more pressing matters for a little while.

"Is it really what I want to do or is what you want to do? Hmm~, the ever expanding question of what the true fact maybe!" The edges of his fingers curled along the side of his chin and he tilted his head as if to appraise the intentions of the young girl before him. "Wouldn't be the first time a lady tried to lead me to the kind of things she wanted me to do! Though I hadn't expected you to wear those horns so well." He pressed as a light joke. Personally, he hadn't cared too much for dances especially not ones that required him to dress up in such trapping attire. Tuxedo's, coats, and the like always seemed like some form of protest against freedom itself. But he'd been well aware that there would be no way for him to actually escape those prospects most times when it came to the school life and other potential events. 

Travis' eyebrow raised up and a smirk made itself known. "Clunky, now you're clearly trying to hit on me! Aladdin to your Jasmine? I don't think I'm nearly as nimble as that street rat." Chances are he'd been even more so but that wasn't a fact he'd willingly admit to. "Aladdin instead? Now, see, if I go around calling you Jasmine we're either going to confuse people or they're going to make the largest assumption jump in history." Of course, it probably fit better in terms of how he viewed himself more. He didn't dress up with enough knee high socks and questionable garments to qualify that kind of a label. But at least his style fit a much more casual and rough look similar to Aladdin, so. . . Maybe. 

A shrug followed from his shoulders. "I don't really pay attention all too much, honestly. That sticky film of rumors makes it difficult to truly see any subject. Much better to listen to my own thoughts." Water cooler talk had never been his thing even when trying to better relate to the different kinds of people he had encountered since the first year of attending Tallygarunga. "Makes it more difficult to draw people as they are if other things try to poison it and all. I do it for selfish reasons entirely." He winked towards her and then laughed lowly. "You investigating me? That's a pretty tall order to try and attempt. You sure you'd really have that kind of time to do it? It's pretty much a full time job with no form of benefits at all.

"Why would I mind? It's much more flattering than most people might think it to be." Whether he'd been interesting as a person wasn't so much of an issue to him, a person would seek to understand regardless of the appeal their eyes would draw. But for a person to find another physically appealing wasn't a negative, it could get out of hand and maybe even go further than that in their mind but it still had been something more flattering than disapproving to him. "Ahaha! You? Look? I never thought you'd actually be a stare and drool type." He grinned playfully at her and then shrugged lightly. "Hey, if it pleases you? Stare as long as you want to your own content."

"I have been told I can pull most things off, so that shouldn't come as a surprise." Samantha countered in good humor. Travis was indeed correct, the half-Veela was the one who wanted him to go; she did, however, find it difficult to believe that not an ounce of his being wanted to be there, if only to chat some ladies up. She was just lending a hand! It was a win-win situation, as far as she was concerned.

A chuckle erupted from her throat at the idea of that actually becoming a running joke between the two. Aladdin and Jasmine and all the romantic connotations that those names entailed. Given both knew it wasn't true, it didn't bother her much at all. If anything, it sounded fun. "People are going to assume anyway, aren't they? Might as well have some fun with it." Besides, it wasn't like they would harm anyone with the little joke - hopefully. She hoped neither person's 'fan club' would chase the other person to jinx and curse, and perhaps even maim them. Though people weren't that insane, right?

Right?

"I'd say getting to know you is its own reward." For as cliché as it sounded, the brunette meant every word. "About time, too. It's going to be your last year, right? Might as well get some questions in before you evaporate." The same thing was happening to Tyson. Sure, they could see each other pretty much whenever outside of school hours (moreso now that she'd be allowed to leave school unsupervised, a win in her book) but it still stung that the teenager wasn't as easily accessible as before. Thinking about it happening to Travis as well, which it would in a year, stung a little. It would sting more if she got closer to him, but perhaps she was acquiring her cousin's masochistic tendencies - it made her want to better befriend the man more than she would normally, and she was more than willing to put in the work for it.

"Oh, I will." Sam wasn't the type to stare at all, but she'd surely sneak in a few glances at Travis from that moment on - and make sure he knew, of course. If he enjoyed the attention, why not? "Though, to be honest with you, I don't really share the sentiment. I'd prefer to go under the radar a little bit. Then again, I'm not really helping my case, am I?" It wasn't like she was going to stop taking care of herself overnight. But even if she did, the pesky pheromone like magic that was a part of the Veela physiology wasn't something she could just get rid of. And, if anything, she was rather surprised Travis could stand near her for so long without being affected. Maybe he was a part of his cousin's school of resistance? That would be very pleasant if true.

"Mmm~. . . " He led into a soft hum while his head tilted slightly and eyes squinted as if to envision the ever-so "present" horns. "Maybe if they were a bit stubby, hiding under all those locks of hair to try and trick unsuspecting non-horned people. That's how you types get us - I'm on to you." Eyes turned towards the poster that decorated the wall nearby and the more that it stayed in his sights the more he realized that he hadn't cared much for the idea of 'dancing' either. Not that he held any lack of footwork, one of the many things his Mother tried to get him to experience to build up a more stable 'social' network. It just hadn't grown on him as being something that he'd care for too deeply as others that took it as a choice and not some form of resort and protection. 

Travis snickered at the willingness to swing with that kind of an idea. "Yea, with the difference being I would take -a lot- more heat from it than you. It's those devilish tricks of yours, will make people think you're some innocent stuffed Sammy-Bear." He spent the last few moments that had passed already uncovering that she hadn't been entirely what others would expect. There had been an innocence and in a very odd way the lack thereof, he just couldn't pinpoint where it began and where it ended on both tracks. "I mean, I don't mind either way. I probably have a bad rep in a lot of ways which I'm perfectly fine with, Aladdin was a street rat with a bad rep himself." It at least served to keep the few people away and others. . . Seemed to be more insistent than not. "Just means you shouldn't be getting mixed up with us criminals! Will end up taking you away from palaces and avoiding the Sultan's Guards."

"Getting to know me? Let me get this straight. . ." Both of his hands rose up as if to pause the moment in a comedic manner. "You have just spent this entire time after slapping some poster on the wall talking to me and you -want- to know me? Here I thought I was doing a good job of dissuading you from even thinking that!" The inflection of the tone he wielded had been one of comedy and yet inside he felt that it'd be more of a truth to admit that she'd been better off not knowing him. Not the kind of road he travels. "Yea, but you'll be right behind me by like, a year. Evaporating is possible, though! I'm liking the idea of going on some long travelling bit or something." It was some form of freedom, the little bit that he felt he could contain and maintain. "Don't know, really. I haven't really given much to the 'after' bits, just trying to make it through the now. Heh.

A lie, He was just biding his time whenever the moment would present itself in his lifetime. A Revenge that had been left unsatisfied. 

"By all means, get your stare on then. Don't worry, I'll know when you do it." His lips turned into a teased grin towards her. "Not many people can help that case. Sometimes you want to look good because it feels good to do it. Doesn't hurt if you actually have a pretty good sense of style too." One thing that he could say happens often in the Wizarding world is that too many enjoy the feel of old style clothing designs that had never evolved, the fascination with robes and cloaks as if it were the defining factor of proving ones pedigree or talent as a Wizard or Witch. He preferred to look good and be in clothing that could easily be adapted for high stress situations - jeans usually fit that bill if they fit nicely. He hadn't found people 'appealing' in the normal sense, his interactions, flirtations and need for connection hinged more on the necessity of social craving that his animalistic symptoms never gained in its existence. 

Samantha's eyebrows wiggled suggestively just once, following with a knowing smile, as if confirming she was 'one of such types' Travis spoke of. Maybe he was right, it was fun to play the less than innocent type. Though she couldn't help but think that she had to be careful about it - do it with the wrong person, and suddenly there would be plenty of people on her doorstep demanding answers. She did not want to deal with that in the least, even moreso out of a joke rather than reality.

"Maybe I just want to be whisked away by my dear Aladdin, ever thought of that? Unless you can't take that heat, of course. Perhaps you could think I'm so innocent that you just have to show me the world." She reiterated. She didn't much like the idea of calling Travis a 'street rat', but she couldn't help but keep drawing parallels to the tale - he very much resembled Aladdin in appearance and outer personality, the heat in Australia in that time of the year was starting to soar, there were flying carpets among wizardkind, she was quite the singer (even if she wouldn't admit it aloud)... The joke wrote itself.

"By a year? Next year's the fifth one for me, you're two ahead." If she passed. That nightmare was still looming over her head - she really didn't understand why she was so poor academically no matter how hard she tried, but she had to face the facts, and they dictated that there was a good chance that she'd fail this year. Or the next, or the one after that. It was likely that she'd finish school much later than she was supposed to, if she finished it at all. "Well, if you do travel, write at least, okay? None of that 'drifting away' business, I won't accept it." She wound up responding despite having a bit of a feeling on the back of her head that Travis wasn't being entirely honest. She tried to shut it out. Some things were just personal and none of her business.

She nodded at the statement. It was how she felt about it, but unfortunately it had consequences for people of her heritage. Sometimes she couldn't help but wonder how nobody could tell she was of Veela descent. Maybe it was the stupidity? "This uniform is a bit constricting when it comes to style." She chuckled, motioning at her olive plaid dress. It was a bit difficult to get green in general to look good consistently in an outfit, but combining colors that were mostly perceived as boring with check and pulling it off was a feat in itself. "Maybe I should wear pants more."

A huff of air pushed from his nostrils and a near quiet laughter as she followed through with giving weight to the insinuation. He didn't think there had been a need to remind to be careful with that playful nature, it'd been the ones that led many people down roads they weren't even aware had truly been there. Or even in situations that hadn't been entirely intended from such flighty and flirty tendencies, messages were funny things when sent and the intention hadn't been the expectation. 

"I think I have lost any thought of you being innocent!" A soft chuckle escaped from his lips. "It sounds like you really want me to take you on carpet rides through the heat of the land. I don't have any posh clothes I can wear but I think I can act like I do." He rubbed his chin for a moment in thought. He'd been more convinced she'd been pulling at his leg anyways, she couldn't have actually wanted him to smuggle her away on some kind of carpet, could she? "Just don't expect me to go around belting some ballad through the air. That's how you catch one of those massive deadly bugs in your mouth. Perfect definition of choking at a performance." He snickered and his eyes rolled slightly at his own poorly designed jest. 

"Really? Here I thought you were in your fifth year already practicing to be the next mature Head Gal." Maybe he'd been giving her far too much credit? He shrugged lightly, it had most likely been due to the air she held about her at times though the passing moments have shown she knew how to allow herself a bit of fun. "Write? I can barely write an essay and hand it in on time." He hooked a self-barb and then smiled casually to make the moment hold a bit of lightness in the air. "It's not something that will be for certain. Just an idea that floated in my head. The kind of thing that happens to us wandering souls that have -no- idea what they want to do with their life." Or at the very least those had intended to do something stupid eventually and wanted to have a collection of good memories before the moment crashed. 

"You would be surprised on how that uniform is all the style most people need." Everyone had their own 'thing', what seemed to attract them like a magnet to metal. His hand rose up and he dismissively waved it. "Pants or not, you just do you. I find one way or another someone is looking at you for some reason. May as well be in a more flattering one, I say. Even if you don't really care what they think." What a person stated in their own circles held no concern for him which had been the main reason he had no concern on whether or not someone had an opinion on his looks or if they'd been good or bad ones. "As long as you can look in the mirror, see yourself and can say, 'Damn, I like this look. Makes my curves nice, my butt look big, and all other assets important to me perky!' then you're doing the right thing for yourself."

"I guess the company will have to be enough then." Samantha couldn't help but think the mental image of someone choking out on a bug after breaking out in song in such a spectacular situation was hilarious, and couldn't keep herself from having a wide grin in good humor splayed across her lips. "I'm looking forward to it, Aladdin. There's so much you must expose me to." It was rather impossible for her to be entirely innocent, given the kind of family that she had - of course, her attitude made up for that exposure. Her naivete as well.

Her eyes widened slightly at the prospect of being a Head Girl one day. There was no way that would ever happen - they favored impeccable students, right? Her grades were barely hanging in the balance in most places. She wasn't the best example that could be provided for the Bourke students, and definitely not someone whom should be entrusted with representing the school to the community at large. It'd make a bigger joke out of Tallygarunga than they already were in terms of reputation. "I can relate to that." She ultimately responded, having no idea of what she wanted to pursue - or deserved to, for that matter. "But, keep me posted, alright? And if you want to talk about it, I'm here." She was probably not the first person Travis would think of when needing to talk to someone, she realized; but it never hurt to offer a listening ear and some thoughtful advice.

Her eyes squinted slightly at how crass Travis' speech had gotten by the end of it. That was not where she was headed at all, and she couldn't exactly say she thought of things in such a manner. "I'd say something that specific is relative..." She personally didn't like clothes that accentuated curves, going more for the modest type of wear more often than not. "Maybe some see it that way, and that's fine, but I don't..."

"You might want to be careful about the kind of declaration of being exposed to so many things."  A small mischievous smile curved at his lips and hands pressed into the pockets of his pants. "There are some holes and places that are so dark that not even a genies wish will be able to rectify what you've seen and experienced." Or the urge to even want it to intervene would pop up to mind. "The streets of Agrabah have many things to offer both in the light and in the dark, though the stuff in the dark often are as precious as they are life changing."

It seemed his praise of her capabilities and chances of being a Head Gal had some form of affect on her but he couldn't tell if it had been through her daydreaming about the prospect or freaking out that it could actually be a high possibility in a persons opinion. Something that could be seen as the ultimate faith of responsibility in just the name alone, the duties following behind on their list of things that had been on their table would be solidifying that initial intangibility. He hadn't expected himself to get any form of nomination on that level as flying under the radar of most instructors and majority of the staff members had been part of his way to keep hidden amongst the average students, those that weren't unremarkable on any standard - As cruel as that may have been to describe them. "You don't need to hear any kind of weighty burden from the kind of guy like I am, Sammy Bear. Besides, I'm the one that's supposed to be helping you out. Upperclassman and all." He gave a confident wink towards her. 

"Maybe. Though, usually the ones that do don't really lack for confidence in most arenas of their life." It'd been something to think about at the very least. "Somethings you can't change about yourself. That means you'll have to re-purpose those very quirks or qualities for your own benefit." He shrugged casually. "But the point is: As long as you're comfortable with yourself then you shouldn't worry about what the eyes are saying. In case it kind of you know. . . Soared over. Hahaha."

"Would you lead me down those paths, though? Or would you like to keep me ready and willing to follow you everywhere?" For as optimistic as Samantha was, the little joke actually brought up potential bad scenarios in mind - while she had no contact with such a thing, she knew the underworld to be an awful place in essence and she wanted to take no part in it and its deviance. Of course, joke or no joke, she trusted Travis enough to never do such a thing to her - or to anyone for that matter.

"Shh, don't be silly." The girl hushed Travis. Despite the wink Samantha got, she didn't seem convinced. "You're not a burden, you're a friend. It'd be more worrying if you didn't talk to me. Put that age stuff aside, okay?" For a moment she considered asking him who did he think would make House Captain and School Captain the following year, but the stark reminder that he thought she was gearing up for it made it so she didn't - he didn't seem to have much of a grasp on the whole subject.

Touché, perhaps? Sam did lack confidence in most areas of her life, just like Travis had just mentioned; but the idea of having to see oneself in such a way to gain confidence wasn't one that inspired motivation, either. She'd have to find another way to improve herself that didn't involve 'feeling that her curves looked nice'. "Physically... I'd say I'm comfortable with myself. Sort of. Half and half?" It was a quick descent of reasoning within the same breath, but she couldn't help it. On the one hand she did like how she looked, and on the other hand she didn't like the attention she got for it and the fact that she couldn't help it. And that wasn't even touching the whole realm of how she felt about herself mentally. "Does that sound weird?"

A soft smile touched his lips, hiding the sadder revelation of everything within his mind. "Sorry to break it to you, Sammy Bear. But my road is a lone walk. I don't think it's the kind of road that works well with others." He laced the words spoken in a tone of jest further hiding whether he believed the words or not. Words that had actually come more from his heart than his mind just spouting out random platitudes. "But the fact you'd actually think of following me everywhere, makes me think you're more attached than you're trying to let on! Hope your fandoms don't find out." He held no offense about the idea that someone would want to stick by him, if anything, it felt like an undeserved honor even with his attempt to try and push distance between people for their own safety. 

"Friend? Me?" His hand pressed against his chest as if to bring attention to whom the term had been addressed. "Pretty sure you have better influences to pick from there, Sam. I'm the kind of guy that parents tell their kids -not- to hang out with at school." He chuckled lightly at the thought of it all. He then shifted his hand to weave through his hair and offered a sigh of resignation. "Whatever floats your boat then. Your choice and all that.

"You don't sound certain about that -at all-." He couldn't pick up if she truly held an opinion about herself or if she'd still be deciding. If she'd been trying to work it out or struggling with the perception between what she saw and what others saw or maybe even the stress of the two combined. The young man's head tilted to the side as he examined the girl before him and a soft hum resonated within his throat. "Weird, a bit. But weird doesn't mean it's uncommon. I imagine most people struggle with the self like that, whether it's because of proper logic or not can't say. Most time it's just because they're more hung up on it than they intended to be and it just kind of stuck around." Others, they held more reason to be concerned but that hadn't been his place to voice or determine if she as a person did. "I would say that's just the teenage life but I've met a few adults that struggle with the same thing several years later. Always the hard battle to fight until you found your weapon to win. . ."

Samantha was taken mildly aback as their little joke took a bit of a turn - maybe Travis had taken the path of introspection and the conversation got a little too serious before the half-Veela even realized it. "Um, well, if you're keeping me company, it would be counterproductive to walk out on your own, wouldn't it?" She suggested as an attempt to salvage their little back and forth. "Besides, I don't care for what others think so long as I'm alongside the ones I care for. Like it or not, you're one of them."

"Good thing my parents aren't in charge of deciding whom I consider a friend or not. My heart is, so, I'll hear nothing otherwise." Clasping her hands behind her back, Samantha wore a small, genuine smile for the boy. "So, I mean it, okay? You're not a burden. If you ever need anything, come to me, alright? Even if I'm not that good a helper in most situations, I've been told I'm a competent listening ear." Sometimes just talking about things in itself helped. Travis was looking like someone who kept too much to himself, and let it eat him up inside. Samantha wasn't really liking that feeling too much and wanted to help him. It didn't matter if he didn't deem her 'close enough' for such an endeavor; if that was the issue, she'd just have to get closer, and she'd have a whole year to do so. She was horrible at a lot of things, but fortunately socialization was one of her few areas of expertise - she wouldn't quit until she had her way.

"Finding your own weapon... What if there isn't any?" It was Samantha's turn to be introspective. There wasn't any active deterrent that she could employ on herself against her passive Veela charms; and in a mental note, there was nothing she could do about simply being stupid. She'd studied everything to hell and back and still failed in both theory and execution. Was there a way out?

It had been quite possible that he took it a bit deeper than it had intended to be, but that had been his desire to keep a defensive distance slowly clocking in. There had been a stronger bond being developed from the back and forth that had been building and it had been her words that slowly gave away to that fact. The gaze he offered to Samantha at her admittance of him being one of the people she held a care towards had been one suggesting he thought she was a bit crazy for it. “You seem pretty adamant on the not caring part. And I guess walking off on my own would be counterproductive. Technically. . .

A hand rubbed at the base of his neck with unease and a lopsided smile formed on his face. “I don’t think it’s -really- about liking it or not. But geez, you’re the kind of person to stick around like a tick, aren’t you? ‘Like it or Not’, sounds like a movie phrase you’ve been waiting to use.” Some dorky romance movie if he had to give it a proper reference.

“Me? Talk? Nah, I don’t need to talk. I’m always solid as a rock.” Her time and efforts were better suited to helping those that could be helped. That had been Travis’ take on that offer as it had been something that sounded more genuine than rehearsed – something worthy of someone that is viewed as a proper ‘Person’ in the eyes of the major public. “But if it ever comes to that kind of scenario, I promise to think of you first. Or. . . At least try to? I’m pretty bad when it comes to remember that kind of stuff.” He gave a weak smirk. “But it sounds like your heart is the contraption that’s going to end up getting you into some trouble!

Eyes shifted towards upper left side as he thought about the question offered for a moment. “There’s always a weapon and a way. The damage the sword does is the same damage the pen can do just on different planes. Saying there isn’t just means you haven’t found it yet.” He couldn’t accuse her of not looking, sometimes, it was in a place a person wouldn’t expect it. Much like the ancient sword of Arthur that had been stuck in a stone. Maybe, she just needed to find her ‘Stone’, her Excalibur. “It also is the kind of thing that at times, can’t be found on your own. Might end up needing a few people to show you the way or help you look for it. Nothing wrong with that, really.

Samantha couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as Travis seemed to begrudgingly get back on track, not at all convinced that he truly believed and stood by his words. As if that deeper meaning that he was looking at during that conversation - leaving on his own - was something that he truly wanted to accomplish at some point in time; as if their little metaphor could be applied as a parallel to what expected him. It was somewhat unsettling. Even if they weren't that close in the grand scheme of things, that mattered little to her - she didn't want to see one of her friends getting hurt. Why whatever matter was such a hard confession for him to make, she didn't know; she couldn't help but feel compelled to stick around long enough to find out and prevent him from doing something stupid.

"You make it sound like being my friend is more trouble than it's worth." She couldn't help but tease the werewolf instead. "But thank you. I'll keep that in mind. But instead of a tick, I'd rather think of it as being stuck to my friends like this type of glue, you know?" She reached for the poster without looking at it, lightly tapping it with her fingertips where the picture with the various ballroom dancers was. She tapped the ankle of someone, causing the person in the picture to trip and cause a bit of a domino effect with the rest of the dancers -- not that she noticed.

"I think this little scenario is going to end up giving me a headache." Samantha let out a hearty chuckle. "Though I can't say I like the idea of just waiting for my weapon to be brought to me, to just sit in my castle and busy myself with making the vegetation around it look pretty, if that makes any sense. I'd rather be proactive, but I don't know which way to turn." She let go of any pretense that her question hadn't been about her. Though, instead of a run of the mill weapon, she was starting to believe she needed something more akin to a bomb with which to blast her bigger issues away.

The feeling that there had been some form of inspection of his character lingered, eyes narrowed slightly as he chose not to focus on that feeling and continued on with the conversation that they had been having. Whether or not he would stay he didn't see as part of anyone's business, maybe his mother's, even then he hadn't planned on giving her any notice to stop him. Already opting to leave a note at home rather than send one that would prompt her to try and halt him from the idea itself when the time would come. 

Even if he felt he could tell her the bulk of the reason, he knew he wouldn't. No, the stubbornness had been something that could cause more an upheaval the more that he thought about it. "The friendship? Nah, you? You're like trouble incarnate somehow." He decided to sling his own tease. His eyebrow raised up slightly as attention had been drawn to the posted that hung on the wall. "Or how stuck to the wall you were before it could be fully stuck to the wall." A soft chuckle escaped from him at the thought from only moments ago. The adamant nature, it had been one of the few things he actually genuinely admired in people even if it had been more of a wrench to his future plans. The hypocrisy of his mind. 

"Pretty castle? What? You plan on waiting for some kind prince like a caged bird?" The thought amused him and it hadn't been the track of his mind what-so-ever. Even if he hadn't wanted it in certain parts of his life he hadn't been blind to know the importance of having friends to hammer out those kinds of issues in a person, being attractive? Wasn't a negative thing. There were -worse- things in the world to be than the eyes of admiration. "If the people you're hanging around aren't helping you out in seeing some path you either need to re-think if they're helping you or if you're holding back too much for them to help you. Because it definitely shows that you're going need a bit of guidance with that kind of questioning you're doing there.

"I refuse to hear any complaints about it, Mr. Franklin." Samantha held her chin high as she spoke, feigning pretentiousness and dominance. "You will take this friendship, live through it and like it, and I won't have a single word otherwise, is that clear?" Even if she was joking in speech, the younger Bourke was entirely serious when it came to being a rock to her friends. And she'd be Travis' if it came down to it. She had the feeling that conversation was veering close to blowing the lid off of some sort of hidden secret the boy had, and she had the unshakable feeling that it was something highly destructive. But what could it be?

"Many already see me as the trophy wife kind of person, don't they? It's not that much of a stretch to make the jump to 'damsel in distress'." Now that she put it out loud, it sounded far more grim than she first envisioned. Her brows furrowed in a grimace as she realized just how dark her sentence had been. "...Anyway, I feel like it's something I need to do myself, if that makes any sense. I've had people hold my hand every step of the way. If I fall flat on my face the moment they let go then I'm not worth their time and patience." She'd just have to study harder. Work harder. Go hard... harder. She had no idea how she could do anything more than what she was already doing, there were only so many hours in the day; but what mattered is that she had to and there was no other self-respecting choice.

An eyebrow arched upwards at the firmness in her words, he didn't think she had it in her even with the jest in her tone at the act of it. It had been enough to pull an amused smirk to his lips while his arms crossed against his chest. "You know, in your gossip dossier, no where did it ever say you were bossy or firm handed." As much as he wanted to think of the kinky nature behind all of that there had been the personal decision to skim over that particular gleaming factor. At least the change of tone prevented him from actively distancing himself even further from her, though the wall had been built as it had with many people. "And even telling me to like it at that! You know, that's practically tyranny now.

Travis tilted his head ever so slightly at the description that she'd used. "I don't know, do they? Typically the trophy wife is actively looking for a person you know. I don't think you fit that criteria even a bit." It seemed as if she'd been trying to avoid those kind of gazes anyways which would have lead towards such a thing. From what he heard about some of her practical magic situations in a classroom, 'Damsel in Distress' may have been much truer in his sights. "Not sure if I'm the type of person whose critique you want in those kind of situations anyways." He chuckled as he shifted a strand of his hair from out of his line of sight. Serious relationships, Marriages, they were the furthest thing from his mind for many reasons. 

"I think you're crossing some wires there, Sammy Bear." Hands delved into his pockets while he walked towards a nearby sofa in the room and plopped down on it to get more relaxed, choosing to not stand the entire time. "Holding someone's hand implies that you never let them do a thing for themselves." Then he moved one of his arms to rest on the back of the sofa. "But having someone help you isn't much different than someone teaching you how to fish. They slap a pole in your hand, tell you the tricks, make sure you have the idea of it. Do it -with- you, not for you. Same thing in this instance, except, they support you by strengthening your resolve.

"You don't know many things about me, Mr. Franklin. Now, get in line." Despite the tone and posture, Samantha couldn't hide a small smile from breaching her expression. Ultimately, she only wanted to see her friends be happy, and that included Travis. In fact, she wanted to ensure that proactively. Allowing herself to be pushed away wouldn't be very conducive to that goal, now would it?

The young Hammond wrinkled her nose in defeat, and looked down, crossing her arms. It was, indeed, giving her a headache. Pursing her lips, she looked back up and followed Travis to the couch as he spoke, ultimately sitting on one of its arms. The subject was veering into a very serious direction - that time, on her own end. But should she discuss it? She didn't want to be a burden to the older Bourke.

"I'll try to... rephrase it, I suppose." She let out a sigh and uncrossed her arms, letting her hands splay on her lap - almost as if trying to get a grip. "It's hard to rephrase this actually since it's two separated issues meshed into one, but here goes. I'm not very bright." She was visibly surprised with how blunt she was about it. Admitting it out loud was certainly an unpleasant experience, and her eyes widened mildly with the shock of actually being able to say it to herself, let alone another. "Yes, I know it has nothing to do with how I look like and such, but it has to do with how I feel about myself, if that makes any sense. Hence the trophy wife comment, there's not much past a pretty face." She waved a hand in front of her face to make her point.

"So the weapon I'm looking for... Is to make me not so dim? In a way. I've tried everything I know of. Study long hours into the night, pay attention, memory tricks, so on and so forth... Nothing works. But at the same time I feel babied by everyone, so I feel like I got to do it on my own." Maybe talking things out wasn't so bad. At least she had the presence of mind to talk in a bit of a lower tone, lest some nosy student eavesdrop on them.

"I would say 'That should be my line' but with how this is going. . ." Travis had a feeling that would just have been turned around into a, 'Well, you should let me get to know you!' kind of a situation. Which it just seemed as if it didn't need to be stated on the actual intention with how certain she'd been on wanting to stay around. He ran the edge of his nail along the tip of his eyebrow while his eyes closed for a moment and a soft chuckle escaped from him. "Sorry to break it to you, Sammy Bear. I'm a rebel, I don't get in line for anyone. You're going to have to catch me if you actually have the endurance to keep up.

His head leaned back and gaze focused on her as she started to speak. It sounded like she needed more specialized help than anything else. "Hrm. . . Maybe the problem is that you're not getting the right kind of help?" A small shrug formed while he allowed for himself to relax into the couch further. "Have you tried talking to the school councilor about it? A way to see if it's something else entirely. Somethings aren't really based on 'Bright or not', you may have a pretty high intelligence but something else entirely is going on." The way she spoke about the different methods on how she tried to catch up and get on board with her Academics didn't dawn on him as signs of a person with no intelligence or a low understanding of things. "It's at least something to think about.

That seemed to be the likely 'weapon' she needed, a person that held the capability to see if there is an issue of application or something else. Which, ironically, lead towards the road of relying on a persons expertise. "It sounds like both routes will end up causing you extreme frustration." He allowed his eyes to close for a moment while fully reclining his head. "Even if it isn't the school councilor there maybe some way to find out through other school resources. You know, if you're worried about your family not facilitating that.

The idea Travis was proposing was a perfectly plausible, common sense idea that hadn't occurred to Samantha; however, it was also one that left her with mixed feelings. On the one hand, there could still be a path towards academic success, and if there was life there was also hope; on the other hand, did that mean something was wrong with her head? She looked down at her lap, unsure. Did she have a few screws loose? Was that the tradeoff for being who she was?

"...Are you sure it will help?" The girl mustered the courage to look up and at the older Bourke, watching him rest his head against the top part of the back of the couch. "I mean... I'm willing to explore it, but I'm not looking forward to potentially getting the news I'm damaged in some way..." What would her family think of it? She had intelligent siblings and was always in their shadow when it came to personal accomplishments. Having something diagnosed would only make it worse, and she didn't want to be useless to them.

"...I guess I just don't want to disappoint people further." She eventually looked away, her gaze ending up watching a few students on the opposite side of the room playing Wizard's Chess. They looked like they were having a lot of fun, but she never really caught on to how it was played properly, even after her siblings explained it to her on multiple occasions.

He'd been aware that no matter how 'Obvious an answer seemed', at times, it had been the one an individual avoided simply for the sake of not wanting to face what it would entail and bring into their lives. No one truly wanted to admit about the idea that something else had been wrong but the further he thought on it the more he had to agree with the thought that it wasn't wrong, there had been no damage. It simply had been a different way that an individuals mind and body worked and needed extra resources to compensate for it and there had been many people that needed resources normally as it was. 

"Sure? No. But you hurt nothing in trying to find out and if it actually leads somewhere? Then you can push that stress off of your shoulders of the unknown and start working on supplementing whatever the potential wall maybe." Travis refused to call it a problem or an issue. "Woah, Samantha." His voice dropped to a more scolding one as he gently touched the side of her waist and pulled her onto his lap in a friendly manner and ran his hand through her hair. "That wouldn't mean your damaged. Okay? It's just means your mind works in a different stimuli and headspace, it has no bearing on how smart you are or your capability to succeed. Some of the most brilliant minds in both the muggle and wizarding world have had some kind of situation and gone on to be extravagant earth shakers in not only their communities but in history itself." In older times when medicine couldn't have delved so deeply many people were simply considered eccentric, individuals ahead of their times but had later been hypothesized to have a slight issue. "Everyone needs some kind of resource anyways, right? This situation would technically? Hardly be different to that fact.

His finger lifted up to tap the end of her nose playfully. "I'm sure you haven't disappointed anyone." Well, maybe she disappointed herself at her progress. That he could understand but he'd been sure enough that no one looked badly at her struggles. People have them, it simply had been what they were, after all. "And if you want, I'll be there to help out too. I mean, since you're planning on sticking around like glue." A gentle nudge had been given to emphasize the joke. 

Samantha had been caught off guard once pulled to Travis' lap, but seeing his intentions clear as day, she didn't struggle; in fact, she relished in the display of affection from her friend. Despite this, she didn't seem too happy given the heaviness of her words, which she was promptly being scolded for. Could she blame him? No, she would have done the exact same thing if a friend of hers was saying the same stuff. It was just that she couldn't help but feel that was the case. Not all the logic and rationale in the world could take that away, at least not immediately.

The mood lightened up a little when Travis gently poked Samantha's nose, at least. She wrinkled it on reflex, and couldn't manage to keep a small smile from stretching out in her lips despite the general mood. "I appreciate the loyalty. And with so much smooth talking and comforting, no wonder you're such a hit with the ladies." She decided to compliment him as a means of thanking him for the pep talk. It was something she had to mull over on her own time. Perhaps she should talk to her parents about it, or her siblings, during the break. She didn't exactly want to ruin the festivities, and talking at home felt like it was better than just blindsiding them during a visit.

It hadn't registered to his mind that it had been a girl sitting on his lap it simply had just been Samantha, right? At any rate, there had been an internal understanding that while words were important and strong they hadn't been something that could jostle the difference between knowing things and accepting things one could know something as a truth and refuse it outright. The very least he at least proposed a possibility and then made sure that she had an understanding from his own perspective. Whether it would click for her now or much later had been something he couldn't control and wouldn't want to control, somethings a person had to come to see the wisdom of something within their own rationale. 

Travis snorted lightly and his smile grew with a small shake of his head. "That just makes it seem like I go looking for the hurt girlies." Maybe he did? He had never really thought about the types of women he encountered and those that he'd engaged with in flirtations. Many of them had the wound that had made them far more vulnerable, prey that could be approached and swayed.  Potentially the more innated instinct at work that picked out those that could be a sense of settling a hunger. Shaking his head once more to shift the thoughts away followed by a casual shrug. "If you need some kind of morale support I can go with you. Not in the room but at least having someone walk with you into those kind of places the weight of it may not be as heavy.

Something told him that the thought of being different in that manner had been a major chink in her armor of self esteem even if it proved that she wasn't someone that lacked intelligence. "Or if you don't feel comfortable with me we can always blackmail Meadow to do it. I mean, she'd do it anyways. But blackmailing is so much more fun and you get to enjoy the expressions that pop on her face, It's always great.