Sign in to follow this  
Ashkar Gastrell

Invite Both Sides Now

Tally Staff ☆ IWP undercover Agent/Professor of Magical TheoryPoppy
2018 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Ash had only come to Australia for the same reason he had taken a teaching job at this school, he’d been told too. The DWP were not used to being told no when they scooped you out of a lengthy time in prison and set you about working for them. So, though he had resisted at first, he came to Australia and took up the post of teacher, teaching health and healing to a bunch of young Australian witches and wizards. He argued that he would have been better at Magical Theory but, no, the idiots that were the international wizarding police wanted him teaching a more hands on subject.

It really didn’t need to be said that he was the worst teacher any school had ever seen. He openly told his students that if they didn’t want to learn that sitting there and doing whatever the hell they wanted were fine with him. Hell he’d brought food and drink into the first glass because that at least would stop the kids from bothering him too much.

Sadly that class had brought him a new problem, one he refused to acknowledge when taking the class and that was a young girl who he considered his niece, the daughter of his closest friend during his Hogwarts years. The daughter of the wizard who was almost is opposite in every way two people could be different. He hadn’t seen either of them for years and so too see Siwan sitting in his classroom had been a shaking he did not need.

However, life was never something that allowed you to deal with one situation at a time. Just as he was finding away too deal with Siwan head on when the attack happened, leading to Elektra almost being killed and him causing some rather serious injuries to her attackers.

That event naturally had a knock on effect for everything the pair had been doing. One of the effects was that she was removed from teaching and was now working at something in the schools offices. A job much better suited for his lack of interest in everything that was going on around him. He occasionally dealt with complaints, sorted out kids rotas and fields questions from over concerned parents and even was dealing with one student who was transferring over from one of the snobby girls school, Penbush or whatever it was called.

The thought of Siwan and the clash of something from his past with his present were furthest from his mind at that moment as she scanned through the paper work for the transfer, trying desperately to fight the urge to correct some of the spelling and grammar filled out.  A cup of coffee steaming happily next to him.

Flinders ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Flinders Student✩ Chromatic
2018 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Siwan was not known for being loud and boisterous. Quite the opposite. She was calm, quiet bordering on completely silent, but that was not so. She merely hadn't had the time to get to know people here. To forge the bonds that would allow her to be comfortable. To call this place home like she had for Hogwarts at one time. Thinking of the great castle and its cool stone hallways caused an ache in her chest that wouldn't go away for hours. The ache didn't go away this time. It stayed, picking at the back of her mind, tightening up in her chest till she felt she was going to burst. 

She didn't have a yearbook or record of her class like the 7th year students got. She only had the scrapbook that she and her roommates had put together during her time there. Uncle Ash - professor? No It was all weird and confusing to see him here. Last they met, they were somewhere in Europe. Siwan was still an awkward preteen, but he was Dads friend, and from what she remembered, he was a nice person, even if he wasn't always exactly nice. It did get her thinking though, about school, and she flipped through her scrapbook of photos. familiar faces left continents away moving across the page. 

There was a photo in there, of Siwan standing in a teachers office in front of a wall of photos. Just above her shoulder, a photo of two young men. one of them her father, and the other, a young but unmistakable Ash. The Ravenclaw colors vibrant against the black uniforms of the school. Without much warning, she jumped up from her bed, the scrapbook clutched to her chest and she tore through the halls. first, she went to the Health Professors office. No, that wasn't right. He was in a different building now. Some sort of administrative thing. 

She didn't even so much as knock. She just burst into the office and slammed the scrapbook on his desk, the wrong page open but she flipped ot the right one before she pointed to the picture. "How the bloody hell did you get put into Ravenclaw?! Why didn't you say anything?"

Ash was just seconds away from giving in to the urges that arose from reading a so called educator and their inability to grasp the English language, he’d even gone to reach for the quill that was sitting temptingly in the nearby ink pot, when the door to his office seemed to almost explode and a small angry student came barrelling through, a very familiar student. The one student he’d been doing his best to avoid. Though before he could make some sarcastic quip about her entrance or even ask Siwan why she had come a visiting the young girl slammed what resembled a scrap book on his desk.

The hand that had been reaching for the quill changed direction and instead picked up his steaming cup of coffee, bringing it too his lips as he watched the normal quiet young woman get too the page she seemed to so desperately wanted to show him.

The jab of her finger at a picture was followed by a question about the house he was sorted into all those years ago. Sipping his coffee slowly, he studied the picture she’d pointed out. It didn’t take him long to see the picture within a picture. A crooked smile pulled at his lips at the sight of teenage him, standing next to his friend.

“Well,” he said finally, placing his coffee cup down as he spoke “I am sure you are aware how students get sorted into houses in Hogwarts.” with the cup down, he leaned back in his chair and studied the young girl before him. She’d changed a lot since those days when she was the shy girl accompanying her father on visits.

“But just in case you’ve received a nasty blow to the head and forgotten. Students at Hogwarts are placed in their houses by a hat that not only talks but has some level of sentience perhaps even self awareness,” he thought about that for a moment then added “Though, considering it thinks it can sing when it really can’t, perhaps not so much self awareness.”

“So why I got sorted into Ravenclaw is, alas, a question only a possibly self aware but defiantly tone deaf hat can answer.” and then he ventured into answering her other question “As for why I don’t walk around wearing Bronze and Blue nor announcing loudly that I was once a member of Ravenclaw house is because it simply isn’t relevant anymore.” then came time for his own question “Is there a problem with me having been in Ravenclaw? Do you hold a prejudice against current and former members of the house?”

Flinders ☆ Sixth Year ☆ Flinders Student✩ Chromatic
2018 year old Halfblood Human ☆ She/Her

Siwan watched as she always did, despite her rush of adrenaline. Her breathing slowed, and she caught the upward twitch of his mouth, and she smiled almost as if to say I got you! but she kept her mouth shut till he finished speaking. 

Gods he was such an ass. "Mmm." Siwan hummed in agreement, and with a sigh, "No it couldn't sing at all. I agree." She picked the scrapbook back up and sat down uninvited.

"Its truly a mystery. You're not smart enough. Wouldn't ever want someone like you to represent my house. And you're definitely not smart enough to teach a healing class." She made eye contact and her tone had calmed significantly. She delivered her words as seriously as she could. "I've bee deciding whether to tell Dad that you're here or not."

Only the latter part of it was meant with completely sincerity. The way she had been avoided had bothered her for some unclear reasons. Her being bothered was completely on her. After all, she was a kid, and Ash was her dads friend. There was no obligation that he had towards her whatsoever, but she was desperate for some sort of connection to something that was left behind. 

Ash raised an eyebrow at the teen in front of him as she flat out insulted him, claiming that he wasn’t smart enough to be in Ravenclaw, or someone who was a former member of that house. Most people might take the insult and react in a negative way. Ash, however, was confident in not only his own intelligence but also that he was not wrongly placed in that house.  Though the house had considered Slytherin and for a brief moment Gryffindor. This he still found insulting.

“If that is the way you feel, then you seem to have missed the over all point of Ravenclaw and also, yourself lack some important traits.” he said with a small smile,  sipping his coffee “Wit, learning, intelligence, wisdom, creativity, originality, individuality and, the one you are lacking the most, acceptance.” he raised an eyebrow at her at the end of that, waiting for her react to what he had said before continuing.

“As for teaching Health and Healing, one does not need to be particularly intelligent to teach especially that subject. What one does need is the ability to help people understand the subject one is trying to convey and retain those snippets of information.” he shrugged, then ended that with an agreement “However, I also agree that teaching is not a role I am adept for.” picking up his coffee cup he took a long sip and mulled over the looming threat of telling her father he was in Australia and, for importantly, at her school and was at one point teaching.

“I can not advise you too lie to your father, he’d be annoyed if I did that. But I would prefer if the information about me being here came from me and not his child.”

Sign in to follow this