Sign in to follow this  
Ashkar Gastrell

Invite Old Time Rock and Roll

Tally Staff ☆ IWP undercover Agent/Professor of Magical TheoryPoppy
2018 year old Muggleborn Human ☆ He/Him

Ash was damn pleased that the average Wizard and witch considered Muggle ways of hiding things were beneath them, especially when it came to hiding money. He was always pleased about this but right then as he pushed his way into a small dirty pub in Melbourne he was damn near ecstatic about it.  The DWP had access to most of the money he had made during his very active criminal career and as far as they were aware that was all the money he had possessed. They hadn’t learnt of that offshore Muggle account that he had for, well, financial security. He’d managed to get some money transferred into one of his other muggle accounts – that was conveniently under another name and then withdrew the maximum amount he could.

That amount had managed to get him a rather decent room in a muggle hotel and enough that he could spend the night doing what the British were often considered as doing best. Pissing it up against the wall, he had never been someone who drank too the point of intoxication. That, however, was his single minded goal of that evening. Get absolutely pissed and end up shagging some faceless woman, or man, he wasn’t really in a picky mood.

Hell, if he got really pissed he’d find a club and dance the night away in a dangerously intoxicated state. He might even feel like he was sixteen again if he did that. It was a thought like that made him wish he could turn back to time, go find his sixteen year old self and tell him a few things about the future. Sadly, it probably wouldn’t be advice like ‘stay on the straight and narrow kid’. This is really what his sixteen year old self should really have been advised to do. No, he would probably tell his sixteen year old self to be more selfish, more amoral and avoid blonde women from Europe.

The fact was though, that he couldn’t go back in time and change the path his life had taken. He just had to deal with his own stupid choices, his own damn inconvenient emotions and well...drink. On entering the small bar that desperately cried out for a good cleaning spell, he spied a karaoke machine and knew that he’d end up there somewhere during the night. Karaoke was always fun when completely off ones face.

But that was a drunken mistake he would make when drunk. Shrugging off the leather jacket her wore and folding it over his left arm, right hand quickly checking he knew where his wand was then moving to his money heavy wallet as he strolled over to the bar, stopping at one of the stools and giving it a quick brush off with his hand.

He was planning to get drunk and make a fool of himself, yes, but that did not include thick dust covering the ass of his trousers. Once he’d decided that he wouldn’t leave a perfect ass print on the stool the wizard sat and caught the tender’s eye.

“Double whiskey.” He said “Actually, leave the bottle.”

49 year old Pureblood Human ☆ She/Her

It had started... when had it started? Kate swung on a bar stool and tried to remember. The staffroom, yes. Lanelle. Lanelle had been talking. No--no Kate had been talking. About end of year plans, and what colour the decorations for the graduation ceremony should be. Whether they should have the invitations hand written by an expert calligrapher, or done by a spell. Kate preferred the former, you could always tell when it was done properly, but Lanelle had cut across all of that. She was stalling. Lanelle could tell she was stalling. Kate didn't want to go home. Lanelle didn't want to do more work. Lanelle suggested a "girl's night". Kate wasn't sure, but the others liked Lanelle and joined the chorus. There had been chanting. Kate decided a quick drink couldn't hurt.

There had been one, two.. too many quick drinks. They appeared in her hand like magic. Lanelle and the others tried to tell her what they were called and contained, but she remembered none of that. They were funny colours and tastes. Some made her see stars. All of them had been strong. There had been dancing, or at least--Kate had been dancing. Her hair had come out of the pony tail. She had lost her blazer somewhere. Kate still wasn't sure how she'd ended up swinging on this bar stool, alone. Vaguely she remembered Lanelle saying they would "be right back", but how long ago had that been? Days? 

It wasn't even midnight. Kate slapped at her own cheek, giggling when she realised how numb and buzzy it was. She wondered if this was how Matt felt with the limbs that didn't work right yet. Stupid Matt and his stupid grumpiness. She turned her head as someone finally joined her at the dingiest muggle bar she'd ever been  to, both eyebrows raised and a laugh on her lips. 

"A bottle?" she echoed. "Someone's planning on being naughty tonight!" Kate wagged a finger with a "tut-tut". Even with her uniform in disarray, she managed the teacher look quite well. "Am I gonna have to give you detention?"

Ash hadn’t really noticed the disheveled and obviously drunk woman on the stool next to the one he’d chosen to park his own ass on, even the sound of her slapping her own face had bypassed his single minded pursuit of completely losing his self at the bottom of a bottle. Though it would take more than the one bottle in front of him but he felt ordering an entire line of bottles might seem like over kill or lead to an early call to the Police and well...he was planning on getting away from the boys in blue with some handy wand work much later in the evening.

A voice drifted over to him, causing Ash to turn in his seat whilst downing his first glass of whiskey and studying the woman next to him.

“Oh, I have a very detailed plan of exactly how naughty I am going to be tonight.” he replied with a smirk in her direction followed by a raised eyebrow at her when she mentioned detention “As long as there is whipping involved then you can detain me as much as you want.” it was bad joke, a really bad joke but at that moment it was a safe sort of response from him.

As refilled his glass again, then motioned with one of his hands to the mystery teachers glass “She’ll have the same again, mate.” he told the bartender. It was nice to have a drinking buddy, though, she was defiantly further ahead in the race to inebriation than he was.

“So, tell me more about this detention.” he asked knocking back his glass of whiskey and filling it within a few short movements.

Kate's lopsided grin only widened when he ordered her yet another drink. This man was going to be a terrible influence, she knew that. Kate had a gift for finding those sorts of people, she gravitated toward them like moths to a light. The Penrose staff uniform really wasn't so different to what the students wore---and Kate could almost feel her sixteen year old self returning. Rebellious after Calinda passed, and out to shatter her father's dreams for what she could be. The end of the golden child. The beginning of Kate really living her life. She licked her lips, accepting the fresh glass.

"Well---no, it's boring," Kate sighed, completely missing the point of this dangerously flirty talk. "I hate it. I hate it more than the students. Who wants to be stuck in a room with moody teenage girls that did the wrong thing? Not me." she wagged a finger at Ash with great emphasis. That's what the kids always forgot when they got themselves in trouble. That some poor teacher would have to take time out of their afternoon delivering punishment. It wasn't fair

"They won't let me whip the kids," she added with a frown. "I'm barely allowed to fail the buggers."

Kate sometimes felt bad for the teachers she'd had. Keeping her under control had been difficult, with her tendency to slip out of the school to go see a particular bad influence at the time who just happened to be attending VMU. Gods but her parents had hated Alan for that. Which... as a parent now, Kate could understand. If Hazel made half of the bad decisions Kate had, Kate wasn't sure her heart would survive the anxiety.

Still. That was neither here nor there, now. It had been a long time since Kate had been that reckless, and she felt like it was time. To make some very terrible decisions. She wanted to feel alive again. She had a craving.

"You don't happen to have a cigarette I could bum, do you?" she asked, an eyebrow raised as she tried not to fall off the bar stool.

The flirty talk seemed to go over the woman on the next stools head. This was probably a good thing; after all, he wasn’t anywhere close drunk enough to make that decision yet. He was too sober to take an absolutely pissed woman too his hotel room. That crossed one of the few moral lines he didn’t cross, a toe across every now and again but never hopping over completely. Knocking back another shot of whiskey he listened to what she said.

“You are not allowed to fail a student who is failing?” he asked, pouring out more whiskey “That doesn’t make any sense. Then again, some parents can be over protective of their little progeny.” His own parents didn’t fall into that line with him. Then again, they had their own issues to contend with and those of his siblings. None of this was helped by the fact that he was entering into a world they couldn’t understand.

That was ancient history though and more importantly history he wasn’t going to drag up anytime soon, perhaps never. Once again he knocked back another whiskey and filled the now empty glass soon afterwards. That was when the woman next to him asked him another question.

“I do,” he replied, reaching into the pocket of the jacket hanging on his stool “I have too roll it first. I never prepare in advance.” he slipped the tin that contained his tobacco, papers and filters out and flipping open the lid and proceeded to start making one up.

Kate threw back her head with a loud groan.

"Ugh, you're one of those!" she exclaimed, rolling her fingers together as if she were making an invisible cigarette. She'd never had the patience for rollies. When Kate wanted a cigarette, she wanted two and both of them ten minutes ago. Kate had also never had the financial constraints that drove most to rolling their own. She didn't really understand it. Her fingers drummed impatiently along the counter as she watched the man form the cigarette. 

They would have to go outside, though, she she prepared herself by sliding down off the bar stool and hanging her bag over one shoulder. Drunk as she clearly was, Kate did seem at least possessed of most of her faculties. She could stand up straight, walk with relative ease, and though she was louder and more free than she otherwise might be, she was in control. That control just happened to have a destructive streak a mile wide, the alcohol had done little more than to amplify her frustrations at the world and how much she did not care to be perfect tonight.

"I keep giving up. I know it's bad. I don't need it, but I do. I am so tired, you know. Tired of having to keep my shit together so that no one else falls apart. Tired of pretending that I don't have things that I want, or need, or even just bloody like, because god forbid I might be human." she waited with a hand on her hip, staring intently at the cigarette progress. "Can I tell you a secret?" she didn't wait for a reply.

"I have spent years. Almost six years. Being perfect. In the hopes that everything would get better, and miracles would happen, and I would be rewarded with my life back. Guess what. The miracle did happen, and I am still dead inside. I am still waiting, and I don't even know what I'm waiting for anymore." A cigarette, supposedly, but Kate wasn't about to let logic in the way of her aimless ranting. "I mean I shouldn't have let them get me to this state, but I wanted them to. For one night, I just want to be alive."

“By one of those I assume you mean a person who enjoys a good cigarette as opposed to someone who enjoys factory made rubbish?” he said whilst assembling the parts of the aforementioned cigarette in his right hand. Then closing that hand into a fist and moving his fingers back and forth a few times. He then opened his hand to show the whining woman next to him a perfectly rolled cigarette. Once she’d taken hers, he repeated the procedure for his own.

Ash had listened to her ramblings between his rolling and handing over the cigarette but only spoke after he was able to light his own. She hadn’t waited for his response about the secret before divulging her feelings and stresses onto him. A man who was a complete stranger and not someone anyone who knew who he was would give important information to.

So it was a good job she was completely pissed and he was well on his way there too.

“That is the thing with miracles,” he said inhaling the end of his cigarette, then slowly exhaling the smoke out of his nose, damn that was a good feeling “they always come with a price.” he could have said, there is no such thing as a miracle or some such nonsense but in that moment he felt that his statement was probably the most accurate. Ash then went on to address her attempting to be perfect.

“Whose version of perfect were you striving to be? Your own? Societies?” he asked, his head tilting slightly “Family?” another puff on his cigarette as he mulled over the rest of what she said.

“As for tonight, what would, in this moment, make you feel alive? Whatever it is, we will go and do it, right now.” a smile creased the corners of his mouth.

Sign in to follow this