School Status:
Tallygarunga: Term One, VMU: Semester One

House Points

Sturt
Flinders
Spencer
Bourke
pxmBtN.png
An AU non-canon Harry Potter-inspired forum roleplay set in Australia.
THE AUSTRALIAN HOME OF MAGIC

Narragyambie ☆ Mum / Radio HostPoppy
25 year old Halfbreed Veela ☆ She/Her

Holly wasn’t actually sure why she’d decided to do this.

It was, after all, a stupid idea.

A really stupid one.

However, repeating the fact that she was stupid for even thinking about this; let alone actually doing it really didn’t have any effect on the outcome. She’d still found one of her nicer silver dresses, shoes with small tidy heels and had a long arduous conversation with her Daughters babysitter about where everything was, when bed time was and what to not allow a precocious five year old do. Instinct told the young woman that she would still come back to her small two bed apartment to some kind of disaster.

Something that she really couldn’t be too annoyed about if it happens, since, she was essentially going to this event for the purpose of seeing the man who happened to come out of (insert years here) coma. This man also happened to be her biological father. The sad thing was he didn’t even know she existed, well, that was the impression she had always been under.

Arriving at the Drunken Roo didn’t take as long as she hoped it would, especially since she’d walked slowly there, stopped a few times and at one point even turned around to head home. Curiosity won out in the end though, coupled with the desire to see not only this modern medical miracle but to observe him surrounded by his friends and family whilst she could blend seamlessly into the background.

This thought had bolstered her confidence enough that she had pushed the door open and entered the pub. It was called a Mocktail Party, something that she appreciated, after all, when one was acting as an observer keeping your wits about you was a good idea.

Dodging through the crowd lightly, apologizing every time she knocked against someone or trod of their toes. Finally she reached the safety of the bar.

“Sunshine Swizzle, please.” Holly said whilst ferreting around in her bag looking for the exact money she would need, then quickly adding “Virgin.” Just in case the bartender actually decided to make her the alcoholic version.

Headmaster ☆ Headmaster of Tallygarunga★ Sadrienne
52 year old Pureblood Human ☆ He/Him

Alan had left Matt in the capable hands of his youngest sister, and drifted up toward the bar. He wasn't really keen on the mocktails, even with the alcohol in them. He ordered himself a beer, a wine for Ems, and checked around to see if Audrey had arrived yet. The kids were already here, pestering his mum and telling her every detail about their holiday to England (again) while his father sat and listened with a bemused smile. That was how Alan wanted to be at that age. Surrounded by kids and grandkids. 

He leaned against the bar as though he owned it. The Drunken Roo was something of a second or third home, he felt more comfortable here than he did in a lot of places. While he waited for his drinks, Alan looked around at the other guests milling about. Matt was... strangely annoyed about this whole thing. Alan couldn't understand that. Why wouldn't you celebrate an event like this? 

An unfamiliar face appeared next to him, causing Alan to grin wider.

"Hey stranger," he said, motioning to Mish as she moved to take the girl's money. "On the tab, Mish." he said. 

"And you're going to pay the tab tonight, Alan?" was Mish's exasperated reply.

"Someone will," Alan answered cheekily, before turning back to Holly. "Don't listen to her. It always gets paid in the end, just... not always on the night. Sometimes I forget where I put my money after a few, and... well. Anyway." in a lot of settings, Alan's forwardness might have been weird, or even creepy. He wanted tonight to go well. Not just for Matt, and his terrible attitude, but for Kate who seemed overly stressed about it. And he'd always been the one to approach new faces in town, buy them a drink and help them settle in.

It was how they'd got themselves stuck with Adele, after all.

"What brings you to Narrie, anyway?" he asked, pushing Holly's drink toward her and sipping from his own beer. "You know the Belmonts, or just lucky to be in town on the day of the party?"

Holly turned her head towards the voice that greeted her, a familiar enough voice that she didn’t actually need to look to know exactly who had spoken. Next to her, leaning against the bar like he owned the thing was the headmaster of Tallygarunga, her old headmaster. She gave him a little unsure smile as he waved away the money she had painstakingly foraged from her bag mentioning that there was an apparent tab that her alcohol free drink would be added too.

She waited whilst words were exchanged by the head of her former school and the bar tender before putting the no longer needed money back in her bag and then sipped her drink that had just been nudged towards her.

“Thank you.” She said addressing both the people within her vicinity. Then turning her body slightly, she faced her former headmaster, looking at him over the top of her glass as she sipped her drink listening to what he was saying whilst at the same time allowing her mind to marvel at the fact that someone who used to be a authority figure in her teenage life was treating her like a peer.

“I was just in the area.” She replied to his question “Just nice to have a night away from the terror I live with.” Another smile graced her lips, partially at the thought of her own child but also because when she’d been at school she’d had a horrible and inappropriate school girl crush on the man before her.

“So, how about you?” She asked placing her glass down, fingers dancing along the rim “Do you know the happy couple or is this just an excuse to drink?”                     

"Oh! Ey!" Alan's grin widened as he recognised Holly properly. It didn't bother him to see a former student at the bar, it happened all the time these days. Was this a sign he was getting too old? He didn't think so. Of course, there were people who believed he was and called for his resignation at the end of every school year---but Alan was far from ready to retire. He wasn't sure he ever would. He still had three-and-a-bit kids to get through school yet, and Alan was quite determined to make all of their lives terrible by being there as they made their way through Tallygarunga. 

"A kid, yeah?" he asked, almost certain that's what Holly meant. Perhaps she had a demon bound in her closet that was a terrible nag, but he doubted it. "They can be difficult, but worth---speak of," Alan sighed, and shifted his glance down to Cameron, who was tapping his arm insistently. "Yes, Cam?"

"Dad, Sarah and Tavi and Maddison are playing hide and seek but I don't want to play hide and seek because I want to play tiggy and they won't play," Cameron pouted. Alan threw a wry look at Holly before turning his attention back to his son. 

"Cam, they don't have to play anything they don't want to play. I'm sure they'll let you play hide and seek with them if you want to. Otherwise you'll have to find something else to do," this wasn't the answer Cameron wanted, but Alan's expression brooked no argument. With a stamp of his foot, Cam stormed off. Alan shrugged, watching as the boy made his way to tug on his grandmother's shirt.

"And he's gone to complain to Mum. Ain't gonna have any more luck there," Alan laughed. "Anyway. I was saying? Worth it. They're all terrors. Don't think I really appreciated how terrible they can be until I had my own." He was clearly a devoted father, but the truth was the truth. He loved his terrors. Didn't make them less frustrating on a daily basis. But even at their worst, they were the best thing that ever happened to him. 

"It's a bit of both, I guess?" he answered her question. "Always loved a reason to drink, but nah. Longy was me best mate from when we were kids," except no one called Matt "Longy" anymore. Not since he'd got big enough and strong enough to make them stop. "Known Kate a long time too. Woulda married her at one point, but I think she got the better end of that deal, eh?" he laughed. 

“A daughter.” she replied to Alan’s question, though she wasn’t entirely sure he heard it because a child approached him causing him to turn away from her and speak to the child. She watched the exchange between man and boy curiously, sipping at her drink , a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. He was known to be one of the most casual head teachers in the wizarding world but it was still odd to see him interact with his own children, just like any other father would.  This thought caused her to briefly look over one shoulder at the wheel chair bound Wizard who was her own father.

He didn’t know that though, didn’t know he had a grandchild either.

Then Alan had his attention back on her and she pretended to be fussing with her bag, hopefully hiding the fact that she had been staring at Matt. She looked up from her pretend bag fussing and smiled at the wizard as he continued to speak. It was clear that he loved his children and was very comfortable in their current environment.  She listened as he said a few more things about his children, pride and contentment clear on his face.

The conversation then moved onto the one thing she’d asked about him knowing the couple they were here celebrating. Though, the tone of the room and the look on Matts face was so forlorn that she could be forgiving for mistaking it for a wake instead of a celebration. Taking another sip of her drink she mulled over how to respond to what he said.

“I don’t know, he doesn’t look particularly happy at the moment.” she said coming to the conclusion that Longy must be Matt. “So, you were kids together. I bet you have loads of funny and absurd stories about the things you both got up too as children and eventually young bachelors.” perhaps she could get him talking about the past and get a sense of the man that Matt used to be, the man who not only attracted the Veela that was her mother but also sired Holly herself.

"He always had a way of bein' miserable 'bout one thing or another," Alan shrugged. He thought it was amusing. He was pretty sure that Matt had these additional eyes that somehow picked up on the potential bad in everything, and then worried about it. He had always worried about things that Alan couldn't comprehend, but then---Matt's life had hardly been an easy one. Alan saw it as his duty to help Matt lighten up when required, which.... usually involved pranks at Matt's expense that he didn't enjoy at all. Such a serious man he was. 

"Always been real independent, but. Didn't have much of a choice, the poor bloke. Wasn't like it was for the rest of us, y'know? Just had to worry 'bout school and getting decent grades so we could go do whatever we wanted. Wouldn't have mattered what he wanted to do, all his energy was gone lookin' after his Mum. Skipping classes, leaving early, that sorta thing. Even if that hadn't been the case, they never would have been able to afford him going anywhere after school. Him 'n' his brother, all their uniforms was hand-me-downs from us cause otherwise they'd have nothing, y'know? All of that, an' he still got the job here and worked himself near to death so's Adam could go to uni." Alan shrugged.

"He can be a misery sometimes, but the world ain't been nice to him." Alan turned a little to watch Matt, so thin and so frail, argue with Ems. He truly didn't deserve this, that was the bit that made it all that much harder. "Matt was always the voice of reason in our lot. We bloody needed it too, y'know. Me n' Stu n' Baz n' Steve, bloody lot of idiots when we think we've got a good idea. Can't see past how fun it's gonna be to all the ways it could go bad, but Matt always did. He was a proper adult before the rest of us even knew how to tie our own shoes. He ain't ever had anyone there to look after him, and he ain't happy about it now."

No, she really didn’t know what it was like to have a young life where your biggest concern was getting good grades and other such minor teenage concerns. Picking up her drink she sipped it slowly whilst listening to the man next to her going over the life he’d shared with her biological father. He was the one that talked sense into them and kept them on the straight and narrow. Well, least he was there for someone. Taking another large sip of the drink in front of her, wishing she’d actually gone for an alcoholic version instead as Alan continued with his story.

“He sounds like he was a good person to have around.” she said finally, turning to face Alan, making sure she looked relaxed and interested. This man didn’t need to know that emotional war she had been raging for months and was now in full battle gear and raging within her now. She knocked back the rest of the drink in front of her before motioning to the bartender.

“Same again,” she said pointing at the glass, before reaching out with one hand and stopping the tender as they turned away “No virgins this time.”

Alcohol was sometimes referred too liquid courage though in her case it was going to be liquid perseverance. Now that her order was placed in, she turned back to Alan.

“I can understand why he might be annoyed, when you are used to looking after yourself it is hard to relinquish that control and accept help.” that was when her drink arrived, brimming with that much desired alcohol. Taking it with a smile and a thank you she took a long sip before returning back to the conversation at hand.

“Though no one is that straight laced, he must have some wild story or secret to go on with.”

"Oh, he had his demons, don't you worry," Alan replied with a half-smirk. "Be easy to get the wrong idea about him, if all y'did was watch him cycle through women like he used to. One week was all he gave 'em, and that was it. No more. Some bizarre rule he made up, and stuck to it like the world might end if it didn't. Hurt himself a lot of times with that, he'd be on the moon one week and the next he'd be miserable 'cause he walked away. Never wanted to get too close to them, y'see. Afraid he might turn out like his Dad if he got the chance." Alan shrugged. He still didn't understand it, but he'd never had that fear. "Still, for a long time there weren't many women of age in Narrie that didn't know Matt in the more intimate way, if y'know what I mean." 

And it had always seemed rather pointless to Alan, who knew Matt had never enjoyed living like that. He'd never tricked anyone, he made sure they knew the rule from the start. It had never been some sort of conquest, Matt was far too much a gentleman to brag or talk at all about the people he was seeing. Alan wondered sometimes if this was Matt thought he needed to do just to have some companionship, it was all... very sad, really.

"Katie's the one that refused to leave. Stayed in his face until he admitted he didn't want her to go. Stuck by him when there was no promise he would wake up. Only hope she's still got strength left, 'cause it looks like this part is harder on her than anything that come before." Alan frowned. "As for secrets, well. Matt ain't exactly a sharer. Keeps everything locked up inside, where he thinks it can't hurt him. He could have a whole double life and none of us would know, y'know? He just don't talk about himself much. Weren't even 'til he said he was starting at VMU that I even knew he had a desire to be a nurse, so. Katie's probably the one to ask about his secrets, she's likely the only he'd tell. Her, or Adam."

Leaning forward onto the counter of the bar, elbow holding her against it the young woman listened to what her former headmaster was saying. This was about the man who was her Father. The point about him only giving each woman in his life one week prompted her to throw back the rest of her drink and summon another. She vaguely remembered that as something her mother stated in passing. That her Father had been a one week wonder. That he’d come into her life and left just as quickly, expect he left something behind. It was clear that Alan felt some sympathy for his friend and the situation he’d got himself into.

She found that same sympathy hard to come by. If he choose to be a one week wonder than he really had not grounds to being a mopey dick afterwards, that was the decision he made. He decided to walk away. At that thought she turned her head and looked at the man who they were discussing, sitting in his wheelchair. No doubt lamenting the way his life had changed.

That was when she was taken back into the story of Matt the sperm doner and it changed to Matt then husband, Matt the tragic man. Though the story was around the woman who managed to get him to settle down, the woman who stayed with him through this whole ordeal. She listened silently till the end, playing with the edge of her drink for a moment before deciding that one alcoholic beverage was enough needed to say what she was going too.

“I don’t need to ask his wife. I already know one of his secrets.” she said, knocking back her drink again “I’m glad too hear that he is a good friend and loves his family, though.” she rolled the glass in her hand for moment before placing it down “Thank you Professor, it was nice talking to you.” she added, before swiveling around on her chair and standing up, grabbing her jacket and getting ready to leave.