Filling out your character profile
Ready to create a character? Fantastic! This guide will step you through the process of locating and filling out the character profile, and how to let us know you're ready to be sorted. Remember, you'll need to do all of this from a character account (a new account that has your character's name) not your player account. If you have any questions, concerns, or need a bit of help---let us know!
How do I find the application form?
The application form is stored in the user profile. To access it, click the drop-down menu on the account name in the top-right corner of the board. You'll need to be logged into the character account, or accessing it through the Account Switch system to edit the correct profile.
This menu will appear:
Select "Profile". This will take you to the account's main profile page. Double-check which account profile you're seeing, as this is the one you will be editing.
If it's the character account you want to create an application for, go on ahead and click "Edit Profile" in the top of the banner. If not, make sure you're logged in as the correct user and try again.
(Note: You should only see "Edit Profile" on this screen. That's the one you want!")
A new box will pop up with fields to fill out. This is where you'll put all of your wonderful character information! The in-character sections are labelled "Short Answer", "Traditional App Sections", "Freeform & Shipper Sections", "Optional Character Items" and "Avatars & OOC".
What do I need to fill out?
If it looks like a lot, don't worry! Not all of it is essential to get your character applied. Our application system uses a mix-and-match structure to help you write a character the way that makes the most sense to you.
The purpose of the application is to describe your character as you know them now, and how they fit into the Tallygarunga setting. We understand that characters evolve and develop as they're played, so don't stress if the details are a little hazy still. There are no minimum counts on any section of the application, but as a general rule we find that 100-200 words in the larger sections (history, etc) provides enough information to get started.
To submit a character application, the following fields must be filled:
- All fields in the "Short Answer" section (Year Level mandatory for students only, Occupation mandatory for adults with employment only. Play By is not mandatory.)
- Either "Appearance" or "Play By" (from the short answer section)
- Either "History" or "Freeform"
- If using "History", either "Personality" or the "Friends/Family/Lovers/Haters" fields (all four)
- The "Player" field in the "Avatars & OOC" section.
For example, some application combinations might be:
- Short Answer + Player + History + Friends/Family/Lovers/Haters + Appearance
- Short Answer + Player + Freeform + Play By
- Short Answer + Player + History + Personality + Play By
- Short Answer + Player + Freeform + Appearance + Friends/Family/Lovers/Haters
It's up to you! There are also other sections such as Secrets and General Knowledge, Wand, and so on that are there to provide more detail on your character if you wish. Most members fill these out after the character has been completed, approved, and running around in game.
Don't forget to click "Save" at the bottom of the form to save your character! You can come back and edit your character as many times as you need or like, and there's no limitation on how long you can spend working on your application.
How do I submit my application?
Got it all ready to go? Sweet! Now all you need to do is:
- Head on over to the Applications forum
- Fill out the form in this topic
- Post it as a new topic under your character account
As always, if you make a mistake here---don't stress. We'll help you get it sorted. Once that topic is posted, one of our staff will review it as soon as we can! If we've got any questions or need more information on an aspect of your character, we'll contact you through the forum message system.
Remember: We never deny applications here at Tally. Sometimes characters need a few adjustments to fit into the setting, but we're always willing to work with you to make changes that everyone is happy with.
Guide to the character information sections
- Full Name: This is your characters full name, including any second names (if applicable).
- Birthdate - Day: The date of the day your character was born. Eg. If their birthdate is March 17th 1987, this number will be 17.
- Birthdate - Month: The number of the month your character was born. Eg. If their birthdate is March 17th 1987, this number will be 3.
- Birthdate - Year: The full year your character was born. Eg. If their birthdate is March 17th 1987, this number will be 1987.
- Exact Age: This is for characters that may lie about, or even not know their precise age. If their exact birthdate is unknown, or if they habitually lie about their age, set the three birthdate fields to reflect how old they appear or claim they are, and set this field to "No". If their age is exact and they do not lie about their age, set this to "Yes".
- Birthplace: Where your character was born. This could be a country, or the town and country, eg. Narragyambie, Australia.
- Year Level: What year level the character is currently in (for student characters)
- Job Title: What job title the character currently holds (for employed characters)
- Species: What species the character is.
- Blood Status: Whether the character is pureblood, muggleborn, halfblood or other.
- Pronouns: What pronouns the character uses, eg. She/Her, They/Them and so on.
- Played By: The celebrity face claim for the character. (Not mandatory, can be used instead of completing the "Appearance" field.)
Traditional Application Sections
- History: A rundown of events that have occurred in your character's life so far. This might include early home life, school life, jobs they've held, education they've undertaken, and any other aspects of your character's life up until this point that have made them who they are now. (Mandatory if not using the "Freeform" field)
- Personality: Who your character is, how they react and what drives them. What makes them angry, happy, what are they like around other people. (Mandatory if not using the "Freeform" or "Friends/Family/Lovers/Haters" fields).
- Appearance: What your character looks like, their sense of style, everything about the visual presentation of your character goes here. (Mandatory if not using a Play By)
Freeform & Shipper Sections
- Freeform: This section allows you to describe all aspects of the character in a single section. It should touch on a little of the character's history and personality, and describe how they might fit into the Tallygarunga setting. (Mandatory if not using the "History" field)
- Friends: How the character behaves around and interacts with friends. (Mandatory along with Family/Lovers/Haters if not using the "Personality" or "Freeform" fields)
- Family: How the character behaves around and interacts with family. (Mandatory along with Friends/Lovers/Haters if not using the "Personality" or "Freeform" fields)
- Lovers: How the character behaves around and interacts with their significant others. (Mandatory along with Family/Friends/Haters if not using the "Personality" or "Freeform" fields)
- Haters: How the character behaves around and interacts with enemies. (Mandatory along with Family/Lovers/Friends if not using the "Personality" or "Freeform" fields)
Optional Character Items
- Secrets: What secrets the character holds, anything about who they are that they don't want the world to know. (Not mandatory)
- General Knowledge: What is known about the character publicly. (Not Mandatory)
- Education: Any education that the character has completed. Though not mandatory, characters with high-level positions are likely to have something listed here. (Not mandatory)
- Wand: The wand your character uses. (Not mandatory)
- Patronus: The form of the patronus (if any) your character can summon. (Not mandatory)
Avatars & OOC
- Player: Your player account. To link it, begin typing your player account name into this box, and select it from the drop-down when it appears. (Mandatory)
- Profile Avatar: Here you can upload a 250x400px image to be displayed alongside your character's posts and in the profile. (Not mandatory)