Sign in to follow this  
Améa Nedvidek

Rainbows In The Storm (Dec. 12 2017)

Complete By Améa Nedvidek, in Moira Court

Narragyambie ★ Mousie
25 year old Halfbreed Sorceraic ☆ She/Her

Seeing her mother and sister again had been weird. Very weird. Her skin still crawled where their energy had tried to fill her, a creeping sensation she just couldn't seem to shake. Had it always felt like that? Améa didn't remember. It had been so long since she'd felt anything so powerful.

Her hand lifted to the still-deepening bruise on her cheek bone, trying to soothe the damaged skin. Perhaps it had just seemed pointless, but how long had it been since she'd bothered to heal herself? How long since she'd so much as tried? Again, she couldn't remember. Everything about her life seemed so distant and grey, and tonight had been the tiniest glimpse of colour she'd had in years.

The grey surrounded her again now. She waited at the doorstep for Zane. The house was his, he would have the honour of re-opening their home. It would need airing and cleaning and so much dust would have gathered in their time away, Améa was already not sure that she would be able to catch up with her family any time in the near future.

But maybe, now that they were here, things would be different. Maybe she would live life in colour with Zane. This thought buoyed her spirits a little. Perhaps they could finally be like the loving couples on the TV shows she watched when he was at work. Everything was so carefree and effortless on those shows.

Maybe she wouldn't have to hide watching them anymore.

Visitors Scotteh

The meeting between them and Améa's family had been awkward and infuriating to Zane, but he hid it well. Now, on top of that, there would be a dinner hosted by Adele in the near future. Zane knew that there would be no talking them into coming to their home for a hosted dinner, but perhaps Améa would be able to change that. He wasn't overly comfortable eating any meal prepared for, or hosted, by her family. He knew they'd try to off him any moment that they had. 

Of course, they had also noticed more than he wished for them to. They didn't say it, but he knew that they had a feeling where the mark on Améa's cheek had come from. He'd just have to play his part with Améa for now. Let her think she had the upper hand. When the time was right, he could strike again. If it failed, well, there was always plan B. 

They arrived at the home, their luggage had already made it back to the home ahead of their arrival. There would be plenty of things that would have to be done around the house to make it feel like home again. They had been away for a few years. He was sure dust had collected. He could easily clean it all with magic, but he had other plans. 

Zane stepped up on the door step by Améa, and gave her a smile. Before he opened the door, he kissed her on the cheek. "Welcome home, my love." Zane reached down, and opened up the door for her.

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

Home. Yes, this was home. Améa looked up at the familiar facade, her stomach tightening just a little. So much had happened here, was this really the best plan? Perhaps they should have gone to a different house, a fresh start. Améa shook her head as if to dislodge the thoughts. No--this was what they had. This was theirs. 

A small smile rose at his kiss, so delicate and sweet. These tiny bits of love were what she stayed for, always believing that there would be more of them in the future. And sometimes believing that she deserved none of it, and what she had was more than she could ever hope for. After all, her family had never wanted much of her (which was a belief unfair to Stuart and Jezebel, but the majority of her experience had been one of rejection and neglect from Adele, and a handful of years of being wanted was not yet enough to tip the balance), so what right had she to expect anything?

Anyway. Girls that kill their fathers do not deserve love either. Or new fathers. Or family. Or being treated well at all. It was a miracle that Zane wanted anything to do with her, and this was the world that Améa lived in. Clinging to scraps she didn't think she was allowed.

She stepped inside, breathing in and coughing at the sudden rush of dust into her lungs. The house smelled old and musty, spiders and their webs lurked thick in every corner. A very questionable smell was coming from one of the side rooms, and perhaps there had been possums utilising the abandoned house as a bathroom.

But it was home. They were home.

Visitors Scotteh

When they stepped in, and the smell hit them, along with the dust, Améa had coughed. Zane rubbed her back gently until it had passed. The place had collected a lot of things over the past few years, but it was nothing they could not clean up together. He'd just have to continue this charade with her for as long as it took. He stepped into the home even further, and looked around. "Well, we have our work cut out for us, that is for certain." Zane said emphasizing the word 'we'. She had been clear that it was going to be a joint effort from here on out, and if he was to play his role correctly, then this is what would have to be done.

Zane gave her another small kiss on the cheek, pointed his wand at the couch, and it was immediately cleaned off. "You may sit, if you wish, and relax." Zane said, smiling at her. Zane, however, did not sit. Instead, he went to the kitchen, got into the closet, and pulled out a duster and some cleaning supplies. When he entered back into the family room, he began cleaning.

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

"Oh?" the sound was a gentle note of surprise and delight. Though dust still itched her nose, she sat and relaxed as bid. Zane had never contributed in the running of the house before, it had always been firmly her responsibility as a wife. She had accepted this, as Améa accepted many things, as her duty. 

Now it appeared that dynamic was shifting, and she couldn't help but giggle just a little at the sight of Zane sporting a feather duster and bottle of Windex.

"Are you sure you want no help?" she asked, curious for a moment that this might be some sort of test. Coming back here was almost like stepping back in time, to when she was less isolated and Zane had been more loving more often. Améa smiled a little, tucking a stray lock of hair back behind her ear.

"Caleb has sure grown. He has Mamiere's attitude." she sighed. This was worrisome. The last thing the world needed was two Adeles. This thought led to other thoughts, chained together as she reflected on the rather awkward encounter. 

"Are they correct, mine husband?" Améa asked after a long moment. "Am I looking to sick? Is it right that they worry?" her hand reached up again for the bruise on her cheekbone.

"I am not... strong. Anymore." the realisation hit her like an aching void. "I am... empty now. Why for am I empty?"

Visitors Scotteh

Zane, facing away from her, gritted his teeth a moment before answering her. She was pushing it, but he wouldn't let it show to her face. "I am positive, my love." He said, continuing to clean. "Unless you wish to, of course. If not, just relax." Zane turned to face her. "I just want to be sure you are able to rest if you wish to do so. Today has been rough for you." 

Zane listened as she spoke freely of her family, something he would not allow before. Honestly, it reminded him a bit of before, before he had broken her. She had been more responsive to him. Stood up to him, even, That had been before that fateful night he'd used the cruciatus curse on her, and Adele had helped her return to a somewhat healthy state. He just softly said, "Mmhmmm." when she spoke of Caleb. The little brat.

Then she asked if her family was right, if she looked sick. If they were right to be worried. She had stated she was not strong anymore. This, this was troublesome to him. Her eyes were opening up even more. He'd need to act. Her back had been turned to him, and he been using magic to clean along with him. The kitchen was even in the process of cleaning itself, along with the other rooms now. He had to focus on Améa. Not cleaning. Magic would suffice.

He went over to the couch, and sat beside her, taking her hand into his. "No, my love. They are not right. You are beautiful. You do not look sick to me." Of course, this was not true. She was a shell of her former self. "You will always be beautiful to me. As for you being weak?" He kissed her hand. "If you are weak, then how is it we are here? How is it that you put your foot down and told me that this is where we would be? You are stronger than they believe. They just don't believe in you. I do."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

As he sat beside her, a thrill fluttered across her. It was an old feeling, familiar---but not felt in so many years. It was how she had felt when he was near, before he had become her husband. Before they had moved. His attention was on her, his words were sweet and comforting. And yet, she doubted.

"I..." Améa started, pausing as she realised she was about to directly contradict him. And then continued anyway. "Before you did come home, I saw the mirror. Mine husband, I am not... I am not as I was." her hands tugged at her dry, dull ponytail, and she looked down at the split ends in dismay.

"This is not---mine hair is not as Mamiere or Jezebel's, mine eyes are not bright. I do not look as they do---once I did." her tongue tripped over, trying to find the words that expressed this most confusing realisation. Améa had not been able to see her own physical decline. Not until her mother and sister, with whom she had once shared striking features, had stood in front of her. 

Her hands fell to her lap, palms-up. 

"And this, I..." a feeble ball of soft light flickered above her hands. It hovered like a dying firefly, desperate to live but without the strength to carry on. It should have been bright as a sun. Her tears fell through the struggling light, splashing on her shaking palms. The light went out.

"... this is all what I can do."

Visitors Scotteh

Zane put his hand on her leg, and rubbed it. "Sweetheart.... Listen to me." This was making him sick to his stomach. "You do not have to be anything for them. They are trying to get into your head. I'm afraid that they are trying to turn you against me, my love. They are trying to put you down, telling you that you do not look well, and you are believing them. Your hair may not look like theirs, and your eyes may not be as bright..." 

He placed his finger on her chin, lifting her head to look at him. 

"You are not them. You are you. My beautiful wife." He kissed Améa, this time softer than he ever had kissed her before.

"You will grow as strong as you feel is necessary. I believe that because I believe in you and who you are."Zane smiled at her in a loving way. "Our focus should be on our home, our life, and our future. We should start getting this home prepared to begin a family. Don't you think? A small child running around. An image of you and I and our love?"

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

"I am not them, no---but I am less now!" Améa's hands bunched into frustrated fists. Now that she could see it, it was everywhere. This house, this town, it held so many memories of who she'd once been and she did not live up to them. Not by half.

"How long it has been since I was strong? I am lost who I am!" her voice cracked part way through the sentence. "Maybe it is you love what you see, mine husband, this I appreciate... I feel their energy and it burns because I am none. Because even a candle I could not light. You... you that clean easily with wand, and I cannot." 

Améa's bottom lip trembled, hand lifting to her mouth as if she might be sick. 

"Is this because I did not use? Because I thought you prefer to mine hands do work? Or is it I am true sick? I know of none illness that would make this, and only of two that could help." she shook her head, panic coursing through her now.

"In any rate, a child... no. Not now." she sniffed. "This I must fix first, I must... I must be strong again for a family. Abandon mine child to a weak mother I will not." she said vehemently. "It is done too many times."

Visitors Scotteh

"Améa, my dear. Perhaps it is because you did not use your magic. You should have. You did not have to clean with your hands. You could have used your magic to clean this entire time. " In reality, this was the truth. How she did things when he was not home was unimportant, as long as she had the house clean and a hot meal ready when he got home. Of course, the damage he had caused to her had made her weak, and the magic being gone had made her a little easier to control. He imagined, even if she regained some of it back, he could still have a level of control over her. He would just have to play the part right.

"I do not believe you are ill. I believe it is probably because you did not use. Perhaps, maybe, you should do practices. Start small. Build it back up. What do you think? I want this for for you. For us. We need you strong so that we may bring a child into this world. It is what you wanted, remember? What we wanted. We should have not waited this long." Zane smiled at her. 

"You will not clean the home. I will. You will be responsible for meals, as I am no cook compared to you, and I will be responsible for cleanliness. Joint effort, just as you wished. However, I will need you to redecorate to your liking."

Zane looked around, and took Améa's hand in his. "This home. Too many bad memories. Perhaps we should not have come here. Perhaps we should have started new." Zane brushed her cheek with his hand, and gave her a loving smile. He had not apologized to Améa for any of his actions for many years. It was time. 

"I am sorry for all of the pain I have caused you. This is a new chapter for us. Let's make it count. Even in a storm, there are rainbows. A hope. I love you, Améa, with everything that I am."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

Améa could not remember when or exactly why she had stopped. At some point, it had just become easier to do things the long way. She'd fooled herself into believing it was what Zane wanted, but what had come first? Did she stop first, and then lose her power? Or did she stop because she was losing her power?

She really didn't know.

"Is this also why I am not... like they are?" Why she was asking Zane this, she also didn't know. He had no more answers than she did, but she was scared. Scared that somehow, without even realising, she'd broken herself. Améa chewed on the inside of her lip, biting down and making it bleed.

"Maybe Grandmiere, I should... I should ask." Before tonight, she'd not have dared mention Lillian in front of Zane. Lillian was the wild card to end all wild cards. The rest of the family had come to a point where they seemed to accept that Améa's choices were her own---but Lillian had a track record of doing what she decided was better. And she didn't care if she had to drag people kicking and screaming to get her way. 

Améa could only assume that her Grandmiere was indifferent to her current situation, or she would have intervened. Asking her about what was wrong would invite her meddling. Unfortunately, Lillian was one of the only two Améa knew that would be able to give her any answers. 

And Bethianna. Well, Améa knew exactly what Bethianna would do, and she knew Zane would be powerless to stop it. So that was out.

"I want for being strong again." Améa nodded back to him. "To then we have a family. Only way to know what is for fixing... is asking." her shoulders fell flat, Améa seemed to deflate even more. "Grandmiere will know. Grandmiere will know all." 

Which she said to mean that Lillian would know what was wrong, and if/how it could be fixed. Only when Améa felt strong enough and herself enough, did she feel she could bring a child into the world. If she couldn't regain that strength, Améa was quite prepared to give up any possibility of motherhood.

"Grandmiere will know if ever we can have family." She said softly.

Visitors Scotteh

Zane listened to what Améa had to say. He did not like what she had to say whatsoever, but he listened. He did not interrupt her. He wanted to hear everything that she had to say on the matter, but he still did not like it. Having to bring more people into the mix? He recalled the last time her grandmother had been involved. In this very house years ago, even, He remembered it vividly. He had lost Améa for quite some time then. She'd made it clear then she could not help Améa. Améa had to choose for herself. But, then again, that was different. Améa was dying then. He had cursed her. Perhaps, there was a way, but Zane was not going to lose Améa. He was sure Lillian would pull her away this time.

Finally, after a few moments of silence, Zane spoke. 

"You....could ask. I just wish there could be another way without involving even more people, my love. Your family....they do not care for me." He looked away. "They do not understand us." 

Zane turned his back to Améa again, this time he had forced a tear to show. "I fear, my love, they will convince you to leave. Or not allow you to return. I do not wish to lose you."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

"I wish this too, but..." Améa shrugged. "Grandmiere is only who knows. Mine... we are not many. None doctors, none hospital like you have. Just... elders. Grandmiere, and Lady Anna." 

Truth be told, for a question of this nature, Bethianna was probably the more logical choice. She was, after all, a healer by trade--but Améa knew in her heart that the woman would waste no time taking her away from here. Not just away from Zane, but away from Australia. Améa could still feel the woman's fist pulling at her hair, ensuring she did things the right way. Anna was brutal. Effective, but brutal.

Lillian at least accepted and encouraged their lives here in Australia. Or didn't care, which amounted to the same thing. Part of Améa had expected (or hoped?) that her marriage to Zane would be the catalyst that made her family want her. It had worked, kind of... but she'd been in far too deep to run back.

And with Jezebel now the more level, sensible, and kind one... Améa knew there was no real place for her back home. Everything she had worked for she was no longer entitled to. The only thing she really had that was hers now was this marriage.

"There is nothing for going back to," she murmured, soft and sad. "All they are moved on from me. This, mine husband---without mine power, I..." Her eyes began to water again. ".. I am good as dying."

Visitors Scotteh

Zane frowned. He was afraid her answer was going to be something of this sort. Before, she was dying. Now, it seems, she was as good as dying once again. Death, of course, would put a huge damper in all of his grand plans. Améa would not be allowed to perish so soon. She still had to provide him with a child, something she had failed him with thus far. It seemed now, until she figured out what was wrong with him, she still would not do that either.

He had to have patience, but it was wearing thinner by each passing moment. The silver lining was that she claimed there was nothing for her to go back to. However, he knew that they would try every devious plot they could come up with to get her away from him though. They were a cunning lot. 

"My love, if that is what we must do to be able to move on with our lives...together... then I will support you with it. I just feel it may be a waste of time." He moved closer to Améa, putting his arm around her. "I will do my part in this house while you get stronger. If you can not make dinner some nights, then we will just get something from a restaurant. We will make this work, my love. I have faith in us."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

"Mine Grandmiere is only way I know." Améa admitted, expression betraying that she wasn't exactly thrilled about this plan either. "Maybe even she cannot, I... do not know. But is best chance."

She frowned, falling into deep thought for a moment. Things had an order to them. Consequences and costs. To have a child now, the cost on her body would be huge. Her ability to heal was almost non-existent, her energy was far below what would even be expected of a human. How could she support another life in this state? Améa knew the answer: she couldn't.

"We will find answer." Améa promised softly. "Again I will get healthy, enough to bear child." Her hand lifted to his cheek. The gesture was soft, genuine. This was her biggest problem: she did love him. For what reason she could never articulate, there was no spectacular act nor endearing trait that drew her to him.

She was just... drawn. Endlessly. Perhaps it was the stability he offered; the world in which they had only each other. For once in her life she was visible, needed, important. Zane would not abandon her the way her own mother had. He would not betray her like her father had. He would not use her the way her grandmother had. 

So she believed, anyway.

"You take care of me," she said, her smile turning warm. "When others see this, they will know. This is right."

Visitors Scotteh

Zane nodded at Améa. It was a tough situation to be in. However, if he were to secure her for good, and have this child, then something would have to be done to get her strength up. The small spurt she'd had didn't seem to last very long at all. If this was the only way, then he would have to accept it. It would prove difficult though, however. Outside interference could pull her away from him. It was already risky bringing her back to Narrie. 

Despite the way he treated her, he loved her very much. He just had a special way of showing it.

The hand to his cheek felt nice, and he actually found himself smiling at it. A genuine smile. Zane took her hand in his, and kissed it softly. 

"I do take care of you my love, and I will. Forever. I promise you that."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

Améa smiled, her heart filling with a gentle warmth. These moments of soft affection were what she lived for, the moments she wished her family would see. Then they would know that this was love, and how wrong they were to try and force her away from Zane. Without him, Améa was sure she would be nothing but an empty shell.

Zane was her everything.

"It is for you, I live." she said, as she had said so many times before. The words, almost an incantation, embodied exactly how she felt. There was nothing in her world as precious and important as he was, Améa would lay her own life down in a heartbeat if it meant Zane would draw one more breath. 

Together they would face the reality of her weakness, and overcome it. Surely Lillian would have an answer, and if not---Améa was prepared to go further. Whatever it took to regain herself, and put herself in a place where they could realise their dream of a proper family together.

"Mine husband, we are not so far from all we want. I promise."

Visitors Scotteh

"And I live for you." Zane said in return, smiling. He pressed her hand against his lips again. "I'm not sure what I would do if I were to lose you, my love. I almost lost you once, and it drove me insane. I can not go through that again." Zane looked deep into Améa's eyes. 

"Améa.... We are very far from what we want. However, it will all come to fruition eventually. We just have to have faith in each other, and stay on track for our goals. I am behind you every step of the way." Zane pulled Améa closer to him, wrapping his arm around her. He kissed the top of her head, and rested his cheek on it a moment. 

"I love you, and I always will. Until my very last breath."

Narragyambie ★ Mousie

Safe in his arms, Améa believed every word. They would find their way through this to a stronger tomorrow, and the future danced bright with love and children and everything she could have ever wanted. It left a soft smile on her lips, and she listened to him breathe in and out... comforted by the steadiness of his presence.

"Then it is settled." she said softly. "I will become strong, I will find the way. And our future---there will be nothing to stop us."

This was a rare perfect moment. Améa couldn't imagine things being any other way, and she felt now that they had made a wise choice in coming back to Narrie. With that gentle smile still on her lips, she closed her eyes.

"I do love you, mine husband." she breathed.

Visitors Scotteh

"I do hope you're right on that one. That nothing will stop us. Or nobody." That was the part he was truly concerned with. Her meddlesome family. However, with Thomas back in Australia, it was possible that he could keep an eye on them while he focused on keeping Améa under control. He could only hope, of course.

Zane smiled down at her, and kissed the top of her head. With another soft hug, he said, And I love you, my beautiful wife." He pulled his arm away, and stretched a moment. "It's been a long day, and journey. We should rest some, yes? I can get a start on more cleaning in the morning whenever I get up. You can sleep in. I'll even attempt to make you some breakfast."

Sign in to follow this